PDA

View Full Version : Valpo Name Change

Go Lehigh TU Owl
February 12th, 2021, 11:44 PM
Another FCS'er will be getting a new mascot/nickname after Valpo elected to remove the Crusader mascot/nickname. I'm interested what they go with. At this point I would tread very lightly when it comes to nicknames. Maybe the Valpo Largemouth Bass (Indiana state fish) or the Valpo Tulips (state flower)?

I have to think this puts College of the Holy Cross Crusaders on the clock despite not having the KKK connection? There's a local Scranton high school near me (Holy Cross High School Crusaders) where I know there's been recent discussion regarding the its name (many people want something less secular sounding) and the mascot. The precedent is a college in my town that recently changed its name from Baptist Bible College to Clarks Summit University in order to feel more "welcoming".

Valparaiso U. Drops Crusader as Mascot, Citing Ties to Hate Groups - The New York Times (nytimes.com) (https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/11/sports/valparaiso-drops-crusader-mascot.html)

Laker
February 13th, 2021, 06:29 AM
Just add a V.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSInRDAx_JTcwWrrdSI066HonF96Is ldqMMhgtBJjIi0imIdfW68HUwwTAu93-hN-3xI2syDYqB2X5VHKtCQ5KE4EjGlH37

BEAR
February 13th, 2021, 06:57 AM
They need to call their men’s teams the crusaders and their women’s teams the mojaheds.

caribbeanhen
February 13th, 2021, 08:05 AM
There is only one Valparaiso and it’s not in Indiana....

https://dynamic-media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-o/15/33/fc/b7/valparaiso.jpg?w=600&h=400&s=1

DFW HOYA
February 13th, 2021, 08:54 AM
Stating the obvious: there were no Lutheran crusaders.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
February 13th, 2021, 08:58 AM

I disagree. Anyone can be a Crusader of cause. In fact, those that made the push for the new nickname were in fact "Crusaders"...

Crusader
1. a fighter in the medieval Crusades.

2.a person who campaigns vigorously for political, social, or religious change; a campaigner.

POD Knows
February 13th, 2021, 09:04 AM
More idiocy from the completely gone.

DFW HOYA
February 13th, 2021, 09:55 AM
I disagree. Anyone can be a Crusader of cause. In fact, those that made the push for the new nickname were in fact "Crusaders"...

Crusader

2.a person who campaigns vigorously for political, social, or religious change; a campaigner.

Their logo suggested the former. And I would agree this would also define a Warrior, but that's not well received either.

FUBeAR
February 13th, 2021, 10:01 AM
this would also define a Warrior, but that's not well received either.
Yes - because the last thing Valpo needs to bring into the game of Football is violence!

VandalBasher
February 13th, 2021, 10:11 AM
Once someone finds out the deeds the Vandals did, a name change is imminent.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
February 13th, 2021, 10:29 AM
Once someone finds out the deeds the Vandals did, a name change is imminent.

The Big Sky has two nicknames, Vandals and Vikings, that likely have a very short shelf life.

I'm interested to see what Valporaiso does. I could see them sticking with the Valporaiso Valpos ala the Gonzaga 'Zags (in lieu of Bulldogs).

Go Lehigh TU Owl
February 13th, 2021, 10:36 AM
Yes - because the last thing Valpo needs to bring into the game of Football is violence!

Valpo has serious financial issues and given the football program's struggles I could see them dropping it as well. The fact that Valpo is moving ahead in a rebranding effort given their position financially is very telling in terms how much it meant to the administration to rid themselves of the "Crusader" name.

DFW HOYA
February 13th, 2021, 10:43 AM
Valpo enrollment fell 10% in 2020. Just 2,781 undergraduates.

https://www.valpo.edu/institutional-effectiveness/files/2020/09/FALL01.totalenrollment.pdf

Feb. 2020 article

http://www.valpotorch.com/news/article_38d59268-4971-11ea-a37d-770d866739ca.html

JALMOND
February 13th, 2021, 12:03 PM
I'm surprised no one has looked at the Simon Fraser Clan (that is with a "C" to honor their Scottish heritage). But, maybe being the only Canadian school to play NCAA (American) football, they are used to being overlooked.

Then, there is of course, the Oregon State Lady Beavers. xconfusedx xlolx

Laker
February 13th, 2021, 04:18 PM
I'm surprised no one has looked at the Simon Fraser Clan (that is with a "C" to honor their Scottish heritage). But, maybe being the only Canadian school to play NCAA (American) football, they are used to being overlooked.

Simon Fraser dumped the Clan nickname back in September. Even though it is spelled with a C and has nothing, and I repeat nothing to do with the KKK, they have given in to the ignorant and uniformed.

https://the-peak.ca/2020/09/sfu-athletics-retires-the-clan-name/#:~:text=The%20Simon%20Fraser%20Clan%20name,group% 2C%20the%20Klu%20Klux%20Klan.

FUBeAR
February 13th, 2021, 04:27 PM
Simon Fraser dumped the Clan nickname back in September. Even though it is spelled with a C and has nothing, and I repeat nothing to do with the KKK, they have given in to the ignorant and uniformed.

https://the-peak.ca/2020/09/sfu-athletics-retires-the-clan-name/#:~:text=The%20Simon%20Fraser%20Clan%20name,group% 2C%20the%20Klu%20Klux%20Klan.
Looks like this is a process that started for them in 2019 & they knew they were going to 86 The Clan or Clansmen by June of 2020...so, by the end of 2020...they’ve made tremendous progress at coming up with a replacement name...

Introducing the Varsity Team Name Working Group
December 15, 2020

The selection team, made up of Theresa Hanson, Senior Director, Athletics and Recreation; Working Group co-chairs Ryan Stolys, President of the SAAC and Breanne Watson, Associate Director, Athletics; and Othniel Spence, member at-large, met last week to review the impressive slate of Expression of Interest submissions. The aim of having diverse and inclusive representation as best as possible was met and we are very pleased to introduce to you the Varsity Team Name Working Group.

The Working Group, made up of student-athletes, coaches and staff, will be co-chaired by Breanne Watson, Associate Director, Athletics and Ryan Stolys, President of SAAC:...

I might suggest they go with being the Simon Fraser Eddie’s - they already use a terrier as their mascot. So Eddie from the Frazier sitcom seems a natural go-to.

Baron Sardonicus
February 13th, 2021, 05:49 PM
Know what else the KKK identifies with? Crosses.

I can name some schools that better purge themselves of those, pronto.

ngineer
February 13th, 2021, 08:09 PM

I imagine there has been more than one headline on the school sports page about them winning in a close shave...

Baron Sardonicus
February 13th, 2021, 08:32 PM

You correctly point out that the Crusades predated Lutheranism. Valparaiso selected the Crusader moniker as a replacement for an earlier, equally politically incorrect name. Both were soldier-type nicknames.

It may not have occurred to the Valpo people that when they first appeased the mob by changing to "Crusaders," the mob was going to own them forever.

FUBeAR
February 13th, 2021, 08:55 PM
I imagine there has been more than one headline on the school sports page about them winning in a close shave...
not sure about that, but they are known for fast starts in their competitions; no beating around the bush.

Lehigh Engineer
February 14th, 2021, 01:58 PM

Crusader

#2 - OH...like a Black Lives Matter supporter then.

Lehigh Engineer
February 14th, 2021, 02:02 PM
Know what else the KKK identifies with? Crosses.

I can name some schools that better purge themselves of those, pronto.

Well...we know they can't call themselves the "Democrats"...since the Deocrats founded the KKK

VandalBasher
February 14th, 2021, 02:13 PM
Wait until someone finds out what the Vandals actually did when they "sacked" Rome. Somebody is going to complain.

I guess being Christian is worse.

caribbeanhen
February 14th, 2021, 02:24 PM
If you guys had ever been to Valparaiso you would never be worrying about such stupid bull****

Trust on this

clenz
February 16th, 2021, 01:28 PM
Valpo has serious financial issues and given the football program's struggles I could see them dropping it as well. The fact that Valpo is moving ahead in a rebranding effort given their position financially is very telling in terms how much it meant to the administration to rid themselves of the "Crusader" name.

Still pissed about their MVC add.

Horrible decision getting worse every year.

They dropped their law school - the big academic selling point. They’ve also dropped like a dozen or two other majors at this point.

Enrollment is down

Complete rebrand is more cost effective than donor support to keep the name

I hate that they are mvc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baron Sardonicus
February 16th, 2021, 09:22 PM
Still pissed about their MVC add.

Curious what you think about change in the MVFC, namely the potential of losing WIU to the Ohio Valley Conference. Does that even make a ripple for you?

SDFS
February 16th, 2021, 11:27 PM
Curious what you think about change in the MVFC, namely the potential of losing WIU to the Ohio Valley Conference. Does that even make a ripple for you?

I think Mr. Lenz would take great joy because I believe he is on record thinking that it will end the Summit League or something like that... something to do with baseball and not having enough sports to maintain autobid.

walliver
February 17th, 2021, 01:46 PM
The Crusades, which were complex geo-religious-political events have been simplified, as in the NY Times article quoted above, as simply bad white Christians attacking kind benevolent Muslims.
Maybe Valpo feels that changing the mascot will bring in an influx of rich Muslims.
Very few mascots are not completely beyond reproach.
I wonder how long before the SJW's realize that most animal mascots are assumed to be male and their preferred pronouns are almost always he/him.

NY Crusader 2010
February 17th, 2021, 01:55 PM
Fordham's sexist mascot needs to go. Rams are inherently all male.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
February 17th, 2021, 02:18 PM

Dunmore High School girl's athletic nickname? The Lady Bucks! Always loved that one! Back in the day when non-PC banners were accepted/embraced there were some homeruns!

caribbeanhen
February 17th, 2021, 02:22 PM
How about the Valparaiso Woke

OhioHen
February 17th, 2021, 02:46 PM

Nah, that's balanced out by the Delaware Blue Hens. Hens are by definition all female.

Maybe as a man I should be offended!

UAalum72
February 17th, 2021, 03:03 PM
I don’t know why Marist can’t call their women’s teams the Vixens instead of the Lady Red Foxes. But then Buffalo still calls their women The Bulls.

Laker
February 17th, 2021, 03:53 PM
I don’t know why Marist can’t call their women’s teams the Vixens instead of the Lady Red Foxes. But then Buffalo still calls their women The Bulls.

I remember watching the Iowa state girls basketball tourney in high school on TV and Mediapolis was called the Bullets. Or was it Bullettes because the boys team were the Bulldogs?

I answered my own question. Bullettes.

https://www.meposchools.org/programs/athletics/

Jordan MN. The boys are the Hubmen. The girls are the Jaguars.

Baron Sardonicus
February 17th, 2021, 08:27 PM
I've read that Valpo will keep the shield as a symbol, putting a new spin on its meaning.

The Crusader name was ill-conceived from the start. The administration is making the right decision, albeit for the wrong reasons.

FUBeAR
February 17th, 2021, 08:36 PM
I've read that Valpo will keep the shield as a symbol, putting a new spin on its meaning.

The Crusader name was ill-conceived from the start. The administration is making the right decision, albeit for the wrong reasons.
Aren’t police badges called & crafted in the shape of “shields?”
Isn’t Valparaiso, IN an exurb of Chicago?
Isn’t Chicago a “defund the police” hot spot?

Valpo, if they truly desire real change & don’t want to continue to be guilty of WrongThink, may need to keep ‘conceiving.’