PDA

View Full Version : A preview of what life will be like under "one-time transfer" rule

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 5th, 2021, 09:38 AM
https://footballscoop.com/news/a-conference-usa-school-has-basically-annexed-one-of-fcss-best-offenses/

Western Kentucky (who hired Houston Baptist's OC) has also taken their QB and top 3 wide receivers. Somehow the "free agency" descriptor seems like an understatement and not hyperbole.

So if you're a coach about to make your last stand as a HC at your current level just find a good offense one level down and ransack it. Does anyone really think athlete well-being is the priority here? I hope the NCAA committee voting on the One-Time Transfer Rule is watching this and makes the right call.

walliver
February 8th, 2021, 03:11 PM
Unfortunately, it seems like the NCAA now recognizes college football as the NFL minor leagues.

There are already problems such as teams hiring a player's dad as coach during recruitment.

The NCAA doesn't realize that outside of the top 20-30 programs, football programs are not rolling in money and few players will ever play a down in the NFL.

DFW HOYA
February 8th, 2021, 03:20 PM
The NCAA doesn't realize that outside of the top 20-30 programs, football programs are not rolling in money and few players will ever play a down in the NFL.

Actually they do, but major college football is largely out of their hands at this point.

Mocs123
February 9th, 2021, 07:25 AM
The one time transfer rule will kill college football. Effectively you could have players change schools to create super teams. FCS football (and G5) will just be a minor league for the P5 teams. I imagine you will find that most conference players' of the year will transfer upward causing roster turmoil for FCS programs.

I don't think kids should be trapped at a certain school forever if they hate it, but there has to be some middle ground. Lets remember that transferring schools, is probably not the best way to get a good education and graduate.

lionsrking2
February 9th, 2021, 08:26 AM
The one time transfer rule will kill college football. Effectively you could have players change schools to create super teams. FCS football (and G5) will just be a minor league for the P5 teams. I imagine you will find that most conference players' of the year will transfer upward causing roster turmoil for FCS programs.

I don't think kids should be trapped at a certain school forever if they hate it, but there has to be some middle ground. Lets remember that transferring schools, is probably not the best way to get a good education and graduate.
SAs have never been trapped and have always been able to transfer -- sitting a year has always been the middle ground. In cases of true hardship, the NCAA has typically granted immediate eligibility, and in recent years, enacted the grad transfer rule. I've never understood the complaint of those who feel sitting a year hurts the kids . There needs to be some level transfer deterrent or college athletics will lose integrity -- there's a reason the rules exist in the first place.

Mocs123
February 9th, 2021, 11:49 AM
I feel like just like when a pro athlete signs a 4 year contract they just can't leave whenever they want without consequence. I think I would be for scholarships being for four (or five) years meaning that if I'm a coach and I sign a kid that is doing what they are supposed to but just aren't as good as I thought they still get their education paid for so both the school and the players make a 4 year commitment.

Professor Chaos
February 9th, 2021, 12:15 PM
I feel like just like when a pro athlete signs a 4 year contract they just can't leave whenever they want without consequence. I think I would be for scholarships being for four (or five) years meaning that if I'm a coach and I sign a kid that is doing what they are supposed to but just aren't as good as I thought they still get their education paid for so both the school and the players make a 4 year commitment.
That's the thing... scholarships aren't four or five year commitments from the school. They're renewed or not renewed yearly. If the school doesn't commit to the player for 4/5 years why should the player have to commit to the school for 4/5 years?

I don't think this will be the college football apocalypse that you do. I don't think it'll be a vacuum for all the talent at the FCS level. P5/FBS schools will still have the same amount of scholarships to give out... for every player that transfers up looking for glory there will be one transferring down looking for more playing time. I wish we'd stop proposing blanket legislation at the NCAA level as a solution. I'd rather as parents we'd teach our kids to value things like loyalty and commitment but empower them to get out of a bad situations or find a better situation.

lionsrking2
February 9th, 2021, 12:36 PM
That's the thing... scholarships aren't four or five year commitments from the school. They're renewed or not renewed yearly. If the school doesn't commit to the player for 4/5 years why should the player have to commit to the school for 4/5 years?

I don't think this will be the college football apocalypse that you do. I don't think it'll be a vacuum for all the talent at the FCS level. P5/FBS schools will still have the same amount of scholarships to give out... for every player that transfers up looking for glory there will be one transferring down looking for more playing time. I wish we'd stop proposing blanket legislation at the NCAA level as a solution. I'd rather as parents we'd teach our kids to value things like loyalty and commitment but empower them to get out of a bad situations or find a better situation.

They already have the power to get out of a bad situation. They can leave at anytime.

Mocs123
February 9th, 2021, 12:39 PM
That's what I am saying - I would be for a scholarship commitment being for more that one year provided the student stays out of trouble and meets commitments in the classroom. That would minimize the processing of players.

Hammerhead
February 10th, 2021, 10:19 AM
The coaches can leave whenever they want if the new school will pay their contract buyout.

Schism55
February 10th, 2021, 10:30 AM
https://footballscoop.com/news/a-conference-usa-school-has-basically-annexed-one-of-fcss-best-offenses/

Western Kentucky (who hired Houston Baptist's OC) has also taken their QB and top 3 wide receivers. Somehow the "free agency" descriptor seems like an understatement and not hyperbole.

So if you're a coach about to make your last stand as a HC at your current level just find a good offense one level down and ransack it. Does anyone really think athlete well-being is the priority here? I hope the NCAA committee voting on the One-Time Transfer Rule is watching this and makes the right call.

This is really strange....