PDA

View Full Version : Accepting Applications for ASUN

HootyHoo
January 29th, 2021, 11:46 AM
Good Day Peasants,

It is I, the Hootiest of Hoos, here to offer you a once in a lifetime opportunity to join the greatest football conference ever created by Man.
Before we go any further, any SOCON schools need not apply. we do have standards. Moving on...
My top choices shall be:
James Madison
Jackson State
Grambling State
Southern
North Carolina A&T
You are welcome for this great honor i have bestowed upon you. I'm sure it is very humbling.

Your Option Overlord,
Hooty

NY Crusader 2010
January 29th, 2021, 12:51 PM
Good Day Peasants,

It is I, the Hootiest of Hoos, here to offer you a once in a lifetime opportunity to join the greatest football conference ever created by Man.
Before we go any further, any SOCON schools need not apply. we do have standards. Moving on...
My top choices shall be:
James Madison
Jackson State
Grambling State
Southern
North Carolina A&T
You are welcome for this great honor i have bestowed upon you. I'm sure it is very humbling.

Your Option Overlord,
Hooty

JMU? Why not invite East Carolina and Marshall too?

EKU05
January 29th, 2021, 12:58 PM
I hear they were close to a deal with Alabama and Clemson.

OhioHen
January 29th, 2021, 01:37 PM

East Carolina would be a bottom feeder in the ASun.

HootyHoo
January 29th, 2021, 02:35 PM

That would be the point of James Madison joining the ASUN. The conference has been public about plans to go FBS. If JMU wanted to make the jump, the ASUN would be a logical place to do it.

Mocs123
January 29th, 2021, 03:15 PM
IMO - JMU is looking for a better FBS conference than the A-Sun, C-USA, or Sun Belt. I'm not sure they will get it, but they've already turned down the Sun Belt.

I'd like to see Chattanooga explore the A-Sun perhaps with Austin Peay, Tennessee State, or ETSU.

OnGRattler
January 30th, 2021, 02:50 AM
I'm still scratching my head as to how an entire FCS conference plans to move up to FBS as a collective. There are currently zero NCAA bylaws that address an FCS conference moving up to FBS.

Teague says the ASUN 6 plan to move up as a league in 2-3 years. Who are the ASUN 6? If all 6 can't move up together as a conference, then the ones that can will go the FBS independent route. Is he banking on all of them receiving NCAA FBS independent waivers like Liberty did?? He must be bc the odds on all of them receiving FBS conference invitations in 2-3 years is slim to none.

Even if they are permitted to move up to FBS - whether as a collective or independents - and add Liberty, that would only be 7. NCAA requires 8 to form an FBS conference.

Maybe Teague knows what's coming down the pipe with the NCAA's restructuring response to the P5's branching off and doing their own thing.

Lastly, is the ASUN planning to earn an AQ for Fall 21 FCS playoff competition? Don't they need 6 members to do that? Right now aren't there only 4 ASUN football teams with full FCS status?

Thanks for the dialogue. [emoji216][emoji216][emoji216]

Sent from my G8 using Tapatalk

OnGRattler
January 30th, 2021, 02:53 AM
IMO - JMU is looking for a better FBS conference than the A-Sun, C-USA, or Sun Belt. I'm not sure they will get it, but they've already turned down the Sun Belt.

I'd like to see Chattanooga explore the A-Sun perhaps with Austin Peay, Tennessee State, or ETSU.That OVC exit fee is a MONSTER!! I think it's criminal, and I can't believe their presidents & ADs voted for it. So I doubt that you see any more OVC programs leave for the new ASUN. Especially Tenn St. Chattanooga would be a nice addition. What's the SOCON's exit structure like?

Mocs123
January 30th, 2021, 07:11 AM
Chattanooga would be a nice addition. What's the SOCON's exit structure like?

The SoCon exit fee is $1M.

OnGRattler
January 30th, 2021, 07:12 AM
The SoCon exit fee is $1M.[emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji15] IKYFL!!!

Professor Chaos
January 30th, 2021, 07:17 AM
I'm still scratching my head as to how an entire FCS conference plans to move up to FBS as a collective. There are currently zero NCAA bylaws that address an FCS conference moving up to FBS.

Teague says the ASUN 6 plan to move up as a league in 2-3 years. Who are the ASUN 6? If all 6 can't move up together as a conference, then the ones that can will go the FBS independent route. Is he banking on all of them receiving NCAA FBS independent waivers like Liberty did?? He must be bc the odds on all of them receiving FBS conference invitations in 2-3 years is slim to none.

Even if they are permitted to move up to FBS - whether as a collective or independents - and add Liberty, that would only be 7. NCAA requires 8 to form an FBS conference.

Maybe Teague knows what's coming down the pipe with the NCAA's restructuring response to the P5's branching off and doing their own thing.

Lastly, is the ASUN planning to earn an AQ for Fall 21 FCS playoff competition? Don't they need 6 members to do that? Right now aren't there only 4 ASUN football teams with full FCS status?

Thanks for the dialogue. [emoji216][emoji216][emoji216]

Sounds like either a pipe dream to me or taking advantage of the P5 break-away you refer to and forming a new "2nd tier" with the G5. If its the latter expect the Big Sky/CAA/MVFC to be in that group as well.

Sir William
January 30th, 2021, 07:54 AM

[emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji15] IKYFL!!!

From SoCon 2014 Spring Meetings: league’s presidents and chancellors raised the conference exit fee to $1 million (exit fee with less than one-year’s notice: $1.25 million).

OnGRattler
January 30th, 2021, 07:57 AM
From SoCon 2014 Spring Meetings: league’s presidents and chancellors raised the conference exit fee to $1 million (exit fee with less than one-year’s notice: $1.25 million).Yeah I don't see Chattanooga leaving anytime soon. That sucks!

HootyHoo
January 30th, 2021, 09:08 AM
Sounds like either a pipe dream to me or taking advantage of the P5 break-away you refer to and forming a new "2nd tier" with the G5. If its the latter expect the Big Sky/CAA/MVFC to be in that group as well.

Big Sky/CAA/MVFC will never be apart of the FBS. The ASUN/WAC will join the G5 in 3-5 years once the G5 break off. The new G7 will have their own postseason, an 8 team playoff(7 conference champs, 1 at-large). If an FCS program such as North Dakota St or James Madison would like to partake. They would need to join either the WAC or ASUN.

dgtw
January 30th, 2021, 09:09 AM

The exit fee for the SEC is $0. Maybe they should invite Alabama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OnGRattler
January 30th, 2021, 09:18 AM
Big Sky/CAA/MVFC will never be apart of the FBS. The ASUN/WAC will join the G5 in 3-5 years once the G5 break off. The new G7 will have their own postseason, an 8 team playoff(7 conference champs, 1 at-large). If an FCS program such as North Dakota St or James Madison would like to partake. They would need to join either the WAC or ASUN.So no bowls for the new G7 teams that don't make the playoffs ?

OnGRattler
January 30th, 2021, 09:19 AM
The exit fee for the SEC is $0. Maybe they should invite Alabama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]https://media4.giphy.com/media/ct1N2eIaI5rGg/giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd786eemi9str6uvbm6kfb0bo1y8ded zstw45tuflyo&rid=giphy.gif

JSUSoutherner
January 30th, 2021, 09:22 AM

I'd like to see Chattanooga explore the A-Sun perhaps with Austin Peay, Tennessee State, or ETSU.

I could get on board with UTC and APSU coming in.

As far as JMU's hopes of finding a better conference than the Sunbelt...

Lul.

HootyHoo
January 30th, 2021, 09:31 AM
So no bowls for the new G7 teams that don't make the playoffs ?

That's a good question. I have no idea what will happen with the Bowls. Obviously, the New Year's six will be exclusive Power 5 bowls. I would think some Bowls would try to invite teams from both leagues.

OnGRattler
January 30th, 2021, 09:36 AM
That's a good question. I have no idea what will happen with the Bowls. Obviously, the New Year's six will be exclusive Power 5 bowls. I would think some Bowls would try to invite teams from both leagues.I can see it. The SWAC has a goal to be in that G7/bowl league too.

HootyHoo
January 30th, 2021, 09:40 AM
I can see it. The SWAC has a goal to be in that G7/bowl league too.

Join the ASUN. Jackson St, Grambling, Southern, and yourselves would be most welcome. That would create a super conference. Why not?

Professor Chaos
January 30th, 2021, 09:50 AM
Big Sky/CAA/MVFC will never be apart of the FBS. The ASUN/WAC will join the G5 in 3-5 years once the G5 break off. The new G7 will have their own postseason, an 8 team playoff(7 conference champs, 1 at-large). If an FCS program such as North Dakota St or James Madison would like to partake. They would need to join either the WAC or ASUN.
I'm sure this prediction will go similarly to your prediction that Kennesaw St will be the dominant power in the FCS.

You don't just wish FBS membership into existence. It takes major dollars year after year. Your school or your student body would need to be ready to subsidize the bulk of your athletic budget given the revenue (or lack thereof) you're generating in that conference and if you can do that more power to you.

OnGRattler
January 30th, 2021, 09:52 AM
Join the ASUN. Jackson St, Grambling, Southern, and yourselves would be most welcome. That would create a super conference. Why not?We are already in a super conference [emoji23]

I think the SWAC commissioner is thinking like the ASUN & UCA's AD - moving up as a collective. Just waiting on this P5 split to drop.

HootyHoo
January 30th, 2021, 10:01 AM
I'm sure this prediction will go similarly to your prediction that Kennesaw St will be the dominant power in the FCS.

You don't just wish FBS membership into existence. It takes major dollars year after year. Your school or your student body would need to be ready to subsidize the bulk of your athletic budget given the revenue (or lack thereof) you're generating in that conference and if you can do that more power to you.

Yeah, i was so wrong. Kennesaw State only had the most winningest first 5 years in College Football history. 48-16, 34 wins in the last 3 years. Don't worry, KSU will end your dynasty before we leave for greener pastures.

POD Knows
January 30th, 2021, 10:19 AM
Yeah, i was so wrong. Kennesaw State only had the most winningest first 5 years in College Football history. 48-16, 34 wins in the last 3 years. Don't worry, KSU will end your dynasty before we leave for greener pastures.How is your Men's BB team doing? You make that Chatttown guy look like a genius.

HootyHoo
January 30th, 2021, 10:29 AM
How is your Men's BB team doing? You make that Chatttown guy look like a genius.

The basketball program is in shambles. Last night, we got blown out by a team that has just come up from D2. I will admit I was mistaken, the team has brought shame to their house. Let us all ignore their existence and focus on football.

JSUSoutherner
January 30th, 2021, 10:33 AM
Don't worry, KSU will end your dynasty before we leave for greener pastures.
You have a lot of moxie for a fan of team whose only playoff wins ever are over Wofford and JSU in the second round.

HootyHoo
January 30th, 2021, 10:44 AM
You have a lot of moxie for a fan of team whose only playoff wins ever are over Wofford and JSU in the second round.

There have have close losses against South Dakota St and Weber St. However, KSU isn't in the business of morale victories. The goal has always been to win championships. Everybody in the FCS has doubted us, called us decemberists who aren't serious contenders. All the Owls have done is make the playoffs in 3 consecutive seasons, winning a game each time. Do we need to take the next step as a program? yes. But what the program has done so far is historic.

JSUSoutherner
January 30th, 2021, 10:49 AM
There have have close losses against South Dakota St and Weber St. However, KSU isn't in the business of morale victories.

You sure like to bring those up a lot for a team who isn't in the business of moral victories.

That's okay though. I'm sure I'd be proud to lose by multiple scores to a team from South Dakota in my own stadium too.

caribbeanhen
January 30th, 2021, 11:03 AM
Lot’s of hate on the Who, I like his style!

You guys went out to Weber St and looked pretty good

Anybody that watched a few games knew South Dakota State was going to beat Kennesaw down

Your Option QB looks good too

POD Knows
January 30th, 2021, 11:03 AM
The basketball program is in shambles. Last night, we got blown out by a team that has just come up from D2. I will admit I was mistaken, the team has brought shame to their house. Let us all ignore their existence and focus on football.Yea, I can live with that, not a huge BB fan myself. I would love to have the Bison play KSU in a home and home deal, get it done man.

WileECoyote06
January 30th, 2021, 11:23 AM
That OVC exit fee is a MONSTER!! I think it's criminal, and I can't believe their presidents & ADs voted for it. So I doubt that you see any more OVC programs leave for the new ASUN. Especially Tenn St. Chattanooga would be a nice addition. What's the SOCON's exit structure like?

It shows commitment to the conference by those who want to stay together, and it shows commitment to moving by those who want to leave. I wish the MEAC's exit fee was more. I'm sure some schools wanted to keep their options open though. . .

HootyHoo
January 30th, 2021, 11:23 AM
Lot’s of hate on the Who, I like his style!

You guys went out to Weber St and looked pretty good

Anybody that watched a few games knew South Dakota State was going to beat Kennesaw down

Your Option QB looks good too

Finally, an enlightened mind. I have always liked the Fightin Blue Hens.

JSUSoutherner
January 30th, 2021, 11:44 AM
That OVC exit fee is a MONSTER!! I think it's criminal, and I can't believe their presidents & ADs voted for it. So I doubt that you see any more OVC programs leave for the new ASUN. Especially Tenn St. Chattanooga would be a nice addition. What's the SOCON's exit structure like?

Do you know the OVC number? Because I haven't seen it yet.

JSUSoutherner
January 30th, 2021, 11:45 AM

I wouldn't read too much into his post. He's the humor champ for a reason.

OnGRattler
January 30th, 2021, 11:53 AM
Do you know the OVC number? Because I haven't seen it yet.$500k with two year notice plus two year forfeiture of ncaa men's bball tourney revenue

$750k without two year notice plus two year forfeiture of ncaa men's bball tourney revenue

The ovc just made $1.5M from eku and jax st.

caribbeanhen
January 30th, 2021, 12:03 PM
I wouldn't read too much into his post. He's the humor champ for a reason.

Maybe Hooty has some humor going for him too, I have been on record for making a lot of jokes about Kennesaw States lofty national rankings but found a soft spot for them after watching some playoff games.

WestCoastAggie
January 30th, 2021, 12:19 PM
Do you know the OVC number? Because I haven't seen it yet.

Y'all might be giving the OVC up to $750,000 to split on 7/1/2021. Those numbers came up as people were speculating if Tennessee was going to jump to the eastwardly expanding SWAC.

With a 2 year, or longer notice, it's a $500,000 exit fee.

So the OVC could be pocketing $1.5 million in exit fees this summer and they keep their NCAA March Madness shares to split with the remaining members. If they then get Western Illinois to join, they'll be really cooking with grease.

OnGRattler
January 30th, 2021, 12:22 PM
It shows commitment to the conference by those who want to stay together, and it shows commitment to moving by those who want to leave. I wish the MEAC's exit fee was more. I'm sure some schools wanted to keep their options open though. . .As should all schools want to keep their options open. Rather than being extorted to stay imprisoned on a sinking ship. Not saying the MEAC is a sinking ship. But I'm saying any conference in general that turned out to be a budget anchor on a program shouldn't legally be allowed to hold schools hostage with an exorbitant exit fee.

JSUSoutherner
January 30th, 2021, 12:27 PM
but found a soft spot for them after watching some playoff games.
Was it their offensive line?

caribbeanhen
January 30th, 2021, 12:49 PM
Was it their offensive line?

Triple Option
talented QB
played Weber tough on road

I honestly don’t remember a thing about their offense line

FUBeAR
January 31st, 2021, 04:21 PM
As should all schools want to keep their options open. Rather than being extorted to stay imprisoned on a sinking ship. Not saying the MEAC is a sinking ship. But I'm saying any conference in general that turned out to be a budget anchor on a program shouldn't legally be allowed to hold schools hostage with an exorbitant exit fee.Exactly!

If only schools entered into such Conference agreements as authorized by the highest levels of the Athletics, and overall, Administrations, and these Administrators were advised by Attorneys on these matters before signing; instead of some assistant towel washer signing off while on a bender in a dive bar. Or, maybe the Conference Officials were holding rifles to the heads of the top Administrators and forced them to sign under threat of death.

Absolutely is an EXTORTION, IMPRISONMENT, and HOSTAGE situation. You nailed it!

ElCid
February 1st, 2021, 10:11 AM
Yeah, i was so wrong. Kennesaw State only had the most winningest first 5 years in College Football history. 48-16, 34 wins in the last 3 years. Don't worry, KSU will end your dynasty before we leave for greener pastures.

Actually, and I am loath to admit it, I am pretty sure GA So edges you out by a few % points in regard to winning in their first fives years. I do not count their couple years almost 100 years ago where they played only a couple games almost as a club sport. And they actually did win two FCS championships in year 4 and 5 of those first five years. So, me thinks you were a bit too boastful. Still very good, but a bit shy of your claim.

Now I have to go wash.

walliver
February 1st, 2021, 10:18 AM
The basketball program is in shambles. Last night, we got blown out by a team that has just come up from D2. I will admit I was mistaken, the team has brought shame to their house. Let us all ignore their existence and focus on football.

15 years ago or so, the SoCon actually looked at Kennesaw State as a full non-football member as the commisioner at that time though there was great potential (and a profitable market). Unfortunately, KSU's basketball program has perennially underperformed.

HootyHoo
February 1st, 2021, 10:56 AM
15 years ago or so, the SoCon actually looked at Kennesaw State as a full non-football member as the commisioner at that time though there was great potential (and a profitable market). Unfortunately, KSU's basketball program has perennially underperformed.

And now KSU has founded a new football conference that will supplant the socon as the preeminent FCS southern football league. Not inviting KSU in 2015 was the dumbest move the socon ever made.

FUBeAR
February 1st, 2021, 11:13 AM
And now KSU has founded a new football conference that will supplant the socon as the preeminent FCS southern football league.I thought you said the Big South was the preeminent FCS southern football league.

HootyHoo
February 1st, 2021, 11:25 AM
I thought you said the Big South was the preeminent FCS southern football league.

ha no, just that KSU was the best FCS southern football program, Which, of course, it is.

caribbeanhen
February 2nd, 2021, 04:33 PM

then why didn’t you invite Delaware into the ASUN with JMU ?

Tubby Raymond field has been completely upgraded including a shiny new Athletics Center adjoined to the stadium

It is a complete FBS facility now

Cocky
February 2nd, 2021, 06:25 PM
then why didn’t you invite Delaware into the ASUN with JMU ?

Tubby Raymond field has been completely upgraded including a shiny new Athletics Center adjoined to the stadium

It is a complete FBS facility now

I would happily welcome both.

caribbeanhen
February 2nd, 2021, 08:57 PM
I would happily welcome both.

I don’t think we have played since the 1978 Div 2 playoff game in Newark, The SHSU head coach made 3 picks on successive JSU possessions

Delaware might sniff the ASUN but I doubt they bite

Cocky
February 3rd, 2021, 12:02 PM
No need to bring up that game.

caribbeanhen
February 3rd, 2021, 12:04 PM
No need to bring up that game.

I was just checking to see if you were old enough to remember it....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
February 3rd, 2021, 01:20 PM
I was just checking to see if you were old enough to remember it....

This happened 5 years before I was born yet I'm reminded of at least 10x a year. Just to refresh Cocky's memory as well....

https://youtu.be/Ucql0T-Z4zc?t=31

The Cats
February 3rd, 2021, 01:33 PM
And now KSU has founded a new football conference that will supplant the socon as the preeminent FCS southern football league. Not inviting KSU in 2015 was the dumbest move the socon ever made.

Why not do it, then brag about it?

Mocs123
February 3rd, 2021, 02:07 PM
That's not how HootyHoo (or Chattown Mocs) rolls.

Cocky
February 3rd, 2021, 08:10 PM
This happened 5 years before I was born yet I'm reminded of at least 10x a year. Just to refresh Cocky's memory as well....

Yall picking on me.
Unfortunately or fortunately Im old enough to remember.

caribbeanhen
February 3rd, 2021, 10:57 PM

Then in 1978 Lehigh moves up to 1AA and was ranked # 1 in the early polls

there is footage of the 1978 Delaware at Lehigh game on Youtube

You beat us 27-17 and your Defense looked great!

Delaware lost in Div2 Finals that year to E Illinois and Polk Cobb as a last second FG sailed wide

caribbeanhen
February 3rd, 2021, 11:02 PM
Yall picking on me.
Unfortunately or fortunately Im old enough to remember.

42-27 Delaware or 42-27

Ive seen both scores online