PDA

View Full Version : Montana St. needs a new head coach

Schism55
January 22nd, 2021, 08:17 PM
https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1352800097772269573

Go Lehigh TU Owl
January 22nd, 2021, 08:19 PM
I beat you by a minute but you posted the "link".....hopefully the mod combines the threads...

Iridebikes
January 22nd, 2021, 08:41 PM
Sorry to hear this for the MSU supporters. Choate was really bringing the program in Bozeman along and not only making the Bobcats competitive but was making them something to be concerned about if they were on your schedule. Best wishes to Choate in his new adventures

Bisonoline
January 22nd, 2021, 08:51 PM
Good for him.

Gil Dobie
January 22nd, 2021, 09:43 PM
He is a rising star, on to bigger things.

POD Knows
January 22nd, 2021, 10:12 PM
Montana State's defense sucked, good luck in Texas. :D

caribbeanhen
January 22nd, 2021, 11:13 PM
All of these good FCS coaches are the same, they Jump at the first opportunity

Chalupa Batman
January 23rd, 2021, 06:15 AM
All of these good FCS coaches are the same, they Jump at the first opportunity

That’s true of most coaches at the next level too. There’s maybe 10-15 schools that coaches won’t move on from, besides the NFL.

Best of luck to Choate, would’ve liked to see how far he could’ve gotten the Bobcats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daytripper
January 23rd, 2021, 07:50 AM
FBS assistant is a quicker and likely more successful path to a FBS HC job than being a FCS HC.

100%GRIZ
January 23rd, 2021, 09:29 AM
FBS assistant is a quicker and likely more successful path to a FBS HC job than being a FCS HC.
Agree - maybe he is smarter than he looks!

Grizalltheway
January 23rd, 2021, 11:05 AM
Wonder if Matt Miller would be interested in coming back, although I imagine he would rather stick with Boise in hopes of eventually taking over there.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
January 23rd, 2021, 11:45 AM
This is a really good job imo. I have to think it will attract a few high quality candidates. Bozeman is an awesome place to live (especially on a nice salary) and the ability to win is there. Not to mention both Montana schools receive tremendous alumni and community support by FCS standards. Rob Ash, and his family, were WELL taken care of when he was the head coach.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
January 23rd, 2021, 10:37 PM
They also need a new DC. Kane Ioane is headed to Boise State to act as their co-defensive coordinator.

Montana State Bobcats defensive coordinator Kane Ioane set to join Boise State staff (montanasports.com) (https://www.montanasports.com/sports/big-sky-conference/montana-state-bobcats/montana-state-bobcats-defensive-coordinator-kane-ioane-set-to-join-boise-state-staff)

Rjones61
January 24th, 2021, 02:55 PM
Sorry to hear this for the MSU supporters. Choate was really bringing the program in Bozeman along and not only making the Bobcats competitive but was making them something to be concerned about if they were on your schedule. Best wishes to Choate in his new adventures

I second this. Choate may not have the most impressive record, but he really helped their program along. They were pretty trash for several years before him. Plus, they got a lot of wins against the Griz and I don't think there are many Cats fans that would trade them xnodx

100%GRIZ
January 25th, 2021, 09:35 AM
I second this. Choate may not have the most impressive record, but he really helped their program along. They were pretty trash for several years before him. Plus, they got a lot of wins against the Griz and I don't think there are many Cats fans that would trade them xnodx
cat fans are and will always be obsessed with the GRIZ. It is there Super Bowl year in and year out. Lost total respect when I went to my nieces wedding and had to endure the bobkitten chants all night long! Reminded me of teenagers really!

Rjones61
January 25th, 2021, 10:33 AM
cat fans are and will always be obsessed with the GRIZ. It is there Super Bowl year in and year out. Lost total respect when I went to my nieces wedding and had to endure the bobkitten chants all night long! Reminded me of teenagers really!

Goes both ways. You're being disingenuous if you don't think that the majority of Griz fans feel the same way. It's the nature of rivalry. There are already folks on eGriz who want Hauck's head to roll because "Beating the Cats is an expectation, so he isn't living up to expectations."

Catbooster
January 26th, 2021, 06:32 PM
I had hoped we'd have him for a few more years before this happened. Best of luck to him. I hope we get a good replacement.

100%GRIZ
January 27th, 2021, 09:02 AM
I heard Jeff Fisher has a place at Big Sky resort!

wapiti
January 27th, 2021, 10:13 AM

Don't rule it out. We had John Stockton as an assistant women's bball coach.

Rjones61
January 27th, 2021, 11:53 AM

He'll fit right in. 7-9 Cats has a nice ring to it.

JALMOND
January 27th, 2021, 04:04 PM

Ask Portland State what its like bringing in a former NFL coach to try to coach college football in the Big Sky. xnonono2x

MSUBobcat
January 28th, 2021, 02:02 PM
Nebraska OC Matt Lubick, son of former MSU coach Sonny Lubick, is being reported as in the running for the HC job. 406 MT Sports sources also indicating that Mike Riley and Jason McEndoo have expressed interest.

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/montana-state-university/sources-nebraska-offensive-coordinator-matt-lubick-a-candidate-for-montana-state-job/article_b44449c9-e08e-5dfb-94f1-3757f74ee75e.html

Daytripper
January 31st, 2021, 01:48 PM
I hear Jeff Fisher is in the mix... https://larrybrownsports.com/college-football/jeff-fisher-finalist-montana-state-job/572871

Catbooster
January 31st, 2021, 03:22 PM
The reporter whose tweet was quoted for that article deleted his tweet and amended it to say Fisher has expressed interest in the job. Fisher's name has surfaced a few times (I think he's got a place up at Big Sky and spends some time around here) but I haven't heard anyone expressing support for him to be hired. It sounds like he's expressed interest but MSU hasn't. There hasn't been any leak about a list of finalists yet as far as I'm aware, but I would be surprised if he is on it.

Edit to add: Sometime last week our AD said he'd like to make a hire in 7-10 days, which would put it in this upcoming week. I'm guessing we'll see a short list of finalists in the next few days and possibly a done deal by the end of the week (but it's purely a guess).

100%GRIZ
February 2nd, 2021, 08:40 AM
Nebraska OC Matt Lubick, son of former MSU coach Sonny Lubick, is being reported as in the running for the HC job. 406 MT Sports sources also indicating that Mike Riley and Jason McEndoo have expressed interest.

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/montana-state-university/sources-nebraska-offensive-coordinator-matt-lubick-a-candidate-for-montana-state-job/article_b44449c9-e08e-5dfb-94f1-3757f74ee75e.html
Pulled his name out of the hat!

100%GRIZ
February 4th, 2021, 09:03 AM
Tim Drevno to the rescue!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
February 4th, 2021, 11:32 AM
Tim Drevno to the rescue!

Seems to have serious legs at this point. Looking at Drevno's resume he conjures up thoughts of the "Tom Cable" or "Dan Campbell" of the Big Sky. I honestly expected more. Granted, the timing and climate are tough...

Catbooster
February 5th, 2021, 05:28 PM
This seems to be the list, or at least the closest to the actual list of candidates as far as we know: https://skylinesportsmt.com/msu-coaching-search-part-ii/

Go Lehigh TU Owl
February 5th, 2021, 05:32 PM
This seems to be the list, or at least the closest to the actual list of candidates as far as we know: https://skylinesportsmt.com/msu-coaching-search-part-ii/

I'm intrigued most by Tuiaki....

Schism55
February 6th, 2021, 12:30 PM
https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/1358118376955142145

VandalBasher
February 6th, 2021, 12:58 PM
Seems to have serious legs at this point. Looking at Drevno's resume he conjures up thoughts of the "Tom Cable" or "Dan Campbell" of the Big Sky. I honestly expected more. Granted, the timing and climate are tough...

You went really low bringing up Tom Cable. That hurt. I didn't think anyone still remembered that era. It is something we don't talk about. Ever!

100%GRIZ
February 6th, 2021, 04:37 PM
You went really low bringing up Tom Cable. That hurt. I didn't think anyone still remembered that era. It is something we don't talk about. Ever!
Yep - where is he these days?

Catbooster
February 6th, 2021, 07:24 PM
https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/1358118376955142145
Nope. Apparently leveraged the interest into an assistant DC/pay raise to stay at Oregon.

JALMOND
February 7th, 2021, 02:51 AM
Nope. Apparently leveraged the interest into an assistant DC/pay raise to stay at Oregon.

Evidently the new Ducks DC cited Wilson as a factor for him to come to Oregon. From James Crepea, OLive.com

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2021/02/oregon-ducks-inside-linebackers-coach-ken-wilson-staying-at-uo.html

100%GRIZ
February 8th, 2021, 05:50 PM
Vigen da man OC from WY and NDSU roots!

SFA 93
February 8th, 2021, 06:02 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EtuQ0acVIAQbbJW?format=jpg&name=small

Go Lehigh TU Owl
February 8th, 2021, 06:23 PM
Montana State taps into the Craig Bohl coaching tree. I like this hire!

Schism55
February 8th, 2021, 07:05 PM
This is a darn good hire Bobcats! Brent is not only a good coach, he's a good man xthumbsupx

bobcathpdevil56
February 8th, 2021, 07:28 PM
Very exciting hire. Good work by Leon and the admin

Daytripper
February 8th, 2021, 08:25 PM
This is a darn good hire Bobcats! Brent is not only a good coach, he's a good man xthumbsupx

Meh. Ask any Bison fan about any player or coach affiliated with the NDSU program and they will tell you they are the next Carson Wentz or Chris Klieman.

We will see. Most new hires don't succeed, but I wish Vigen well.

Chalupa Batman
February 8th, 2021, 09:14 PM
Meh. Ask any Bison fan about any player or coach affiliated with the NDSU program and they will tell you they are the next Carson Wentz or Chris Klieman.

Bison fans really didn’t think too much of Vigen’s play calling as OC when he was here, there was a “Fire Vigen, save season” thread pretty much every season on Bisonville. I think he was a good recruiter though so that should be good for MSU. I wish him well too.

Bisonoline
February 8th, 2021, 09:19 PM

Go ahead and ask me.

Schism55
February 8th, 2021, 09:19 PM
Bison fans really didn’t think too much of Vigen’s play calling as OC when he was here, there was a “Fire Vigen, save season” thread pretty much every season on Bisonville. I think he was a good recruiter though so that should be good for MSU. I wish him well too.

You've identified the problem, next step is removing it xsmiley_wix

Catbooster
February 8th, 2021, 11:59 PM
I'll be interested to see who he will keep from the existing assistant coaches. As head coach, I assume he'll have an OC and won't be calling the plays himself, but I guess we'll find out. From the little bit I've heard/seen, his style of offense fits with what we've been doing but he's done well with QB's, which has probably been our greatest weakness.

Edit to add: OC's seem to seldom be popular with the fans. When Messingham was our OC, lots of the fans didn't like his play-calling and were happy to see him go. Seems like he did ok at NDSU.

TheKingpin28
February 9th, 2021, 08:33 AM
MSU fans: Enjoy questionable calls and headshaking moments. He was the only OC, since I have been watching/attending games, that I'd honestly sit there and wonder, "what the hell are you trying to do?" and that is saying something since Polasek could make me raise an eyebrow here and there (but the SHSU game where he is shouting at the glass was iconic). IMO, it seemed like, at times, Vigen would try things just for the hell of it.

caribbeanhen
February 9th, 2021, 08:52 AM
MSU fans: Enjoy questionable calls and headshaking moments. He was the only OC, since I have been watching/attending games, that I'd honestly sit there and wonder, "what the hell are you trying to do?" and that is saying something since Polasek could make me raise an eyebrow here and there (but the SHSU game where he is shouting at the glass was iconic). IMO, it seemed like, at times, Vigen would try things just for the hell of it.

Calm down

all these guys do is win national championships

good grief

Rjones61
February 9th, 2021, 01:53 PM
A quick reminder to those who often forget: Head coach is about whether you can get the most out of your players, manage your other coaches, and recruit talent. If you are going to measure his ability to head coach on his ability to play call on offense, you are setting yourself up for failure.

There are plenty of extremely talented offensive coordinators and defensive coordinators that straight up sucked as a head coach. It's a different skillset.

Example: Todd Bowles just won a Superbowl. He was a terrible head coach, but has always been a great defensive coordinator.

Bruce Arians offense with the Steelers was no world beater. However, he has always been an above average head coach and he is now a Superbowl champion.

Gil Dobie
February 22nd, 2021, 09:06 AM
Brent Vigen Rookie Card, from the 2004 NDSU Spring Football Game set.