PDA

View Full Version : 2020-2021 Women's Basketball Thread

bonarae
January 15th, 2021, 05:16 AM
Better late than never... xcoffeex

Duke and Virginia have cancelled their women's basketball schedules by now. xbawlingx Are they cowardly or what? xdontknowx

bonarae
January 22nd, 2021, 03:55 AM
This season hasn't bode well for women's basketball. And now this... xsmhx

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/detroit-mercy-ends-its-womens-basketball-season-after-allegations-of-abuse-made-against-coach/

bonarae
February 7th, 2021, 05:45 AM
San Antonio and the surrounding areas will host the Women's March Madness 2021.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-women/article/2021-02-05/san-antonio-region-host-2021-division-i-womens-basketball-championship?utm_campaign=inline-superpage

bonarae
February 12th, 2021, 05:32 PM
W&M says goodbye to this season.

https://twitter.com/CAABasketball/status/1360319010848595974

TheValleyRaider
March 1st, 2021, 09:23 AM
Patriot League regular season over, Bucknell takes the title and #1 seed. Only 8 teams contesting the tournament:
- Navy had some recent COVID issues, so they pulled out, likely would have been the #4 seed.
- Colgate ended their season a few weeks ago at 1-8, not for COVID reasons, but too many season-ending injuries. 4 players were out when the season actually began, 3 more since they've been playing. They struggled with so many missing players, a disappointing follow-up to last year's successful campaign.

Laker
March 10th, 2021, 12:27 PM
D3 UMAC Rookie of the Year at Bethany of Mankato is Sara Kottke. I coached her uncle Kurt who was an all conference lineman at Buffalo Lake. Her twin sisters who are freshmen start for BLHS- they live two miles from me. Great family- if you see a Kottke Trucking outfit on the road it would belong to them.

https://umacathletics.com/news/2021/3/5/womens-basketball-wbb-awards.aspx

Laker
November 17th, 2021, 08:17 PM
The Division I Council approved an expansion of the Division I Women's Basketball Championship bracket from 64 to 68 teams, effective with the 2022 championship.
The 68 teams participating in the 2022 women's championship will be announced on Sunday, March 13, as part of the ESPN selection show.
For the 2022 championship only, the four opening round games will be conducted on the campuses of teams seeded in the top 16.
Beginning with the 2023 championship, the first four games will be conducted at a to-be-determined neutral site.

ngineer
December 2nd, 2021, 10:14 PM
Lehigh's women have a very nice team with good skills. Their main problem is not having the size/speed to seriously compete with the elite teams in the NCAA. They are certainly a top 15-20 "mid-major" team. Barring injury to a major player, I think they should win the PL and, depending on seed, could steal a game from a bigger school who takes them lightly.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 13th, 2021, 07:15 PM
Did anyone see this?

Georgia Southern Eagles crush Carver Cougars 133-15 for second-largest win margin in D-I women's basketball history (espn.com) (https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/32862224/georgia-southern-eagles-crush-carver-cougars-133-15-second-largest-win-margin-d-women-basketball-history)

Laker
March 22nd, 2022, 11:24 AM
I was watching Princeton almost knock off the Hoosiers at Indiana last night and wondered why the Ivy League lets everyone else except for football into the playoffs. Really a shame.

POD Knows
March 22nd, 2022, 12:10 PM
Honestly, I think USD has a legitimate shot at the final 4 here, also, SDSU should have gotten an invite to this tourney, they are bitch slapping teams in the NIT

Laker
March 22nd, 2022, 03:02 PM
Honestly, I think USD has a legitimate shot at the final 4 here, also, SDSU should have gotten an invite to this tourney, they are bitch slapping teams in the NIT

The Gophers ran into a buzz saw in Brookings. First of all they shouldn't have even been in the tournament with that bad of a losing record but they just had to put them and Vandy in because they were power conference schools. They showed nothing all year and got stomped by the Rabbits. Summit should have been a two big league on the women's side.

JacksFan40
March 24th, 2022, 09:17 PM
Jacks roll again 84-66 over Drake in front of a pretty packed Frost Arena.

Host Alabama on Sunday and that should hopefully be just as packed. While I do believe the Jacks should’ve gotten into the Tournament, I do love these NIT games on campus, always a fun atmosphere and getting to host teams like Minnesota and Alabama is great.

JacksFan40
March 24th, 2022, 09:18 PM
The Gophers ran into a buzz saw in Brookings. First of all they shouldn't have even been in the tournament with that bad of a losing record but they just had to put them and Vandy in because they were power conference schools. They showed nothing all year and got stomped by the Rabbits. Summit should have been a two big league on the women's side.
On the plus side, a deep run by USD and a possible WNIT title by the Jacks will absolutely do wonders for the Summit in future seasons.

Would’ve been nice if UMKC could’ve done something in the WNIT, but unfortunately they got throttled.

Laker
March 27th, 2022, 07:58 PM
Lindsey's mother played HS basketball for me.

In a game marked by momentum swings, @GoJacksWBB (https://twitter.com/GoJacksWBB)
ride a 14-0 run in the fourth quarter vs. @AlabamaWBB (https://twitter.com/AlabamaWBB)
to victory, with two huge 3's coming from Lindsey Theuninck in the final stretch

Laker
March 31st, 2022, 09:27 PM
Jack women beat UCLA by 3, will host Seton Hall on Sat. who beat Middle TN St by one on a late shot.

Frost was sold out- it was a madhouse on TV. I hope to get there on Sat.

Chalupa Batman
April 2nd, 2022, 04:22 PM
Jack women beat UCLA by 3, will host Seton Hall on Sat. who beat Middle TN St by one on a late shot.

Frost was sold out- it was a madhouse on TV. I hope to get there on Sat.

Did you make it to the game? Looked like a great atmosphere on TV.

Laker
April 2nd, 2022, 07:16 PM
Did you make it to the game? Looked like a great atmosphere on TV.

Yes- got there a half an hour before the game- picked my ticket up at the will call- was close enough to Stig to touch him. SDSU president should get honorable mention MVP- he bought the student tickets for at least the second straight game. Great PR move- the place was packed and LOUD! They were really in the heads of the Seton Hall players. At half when the Pirates were warming up, the students were counting out the misses. One of their players tried to shut them up by shooting a layup- she missed. Jacks just owned the boards- outhustled Seton Hall.

Now I've been at home games where USD and SDSU have won the WNIT and UND won the D2 title (1997). The NCAA changed the rule after that because UND and NDSU were dominating at home so they went to a neutral site.

Laker
March 2nd, 2023, 05:46 PM
Gopher's Lindsey Whalen "steps down" after five years. The question is, does the U of M have the guts to fight the PC crowd and hire Johnston from SDSU. Super coach, great recruiter, takes on all comers. I'd say that they won't because the Gophers can screw up a two car funeral. He may not even be interested in going to that mess, but he would be a great hire. The SDSU job is a great one.

MR. CHICKEN
February 15th, 2024, 07:00 AM

...IOWA'S.....CAITLIN CLARK.....AGIN' MICHIGAN TA-NITE....SHE GOES FO' ALL-TIME WOMENS SCORIN' RECORD.......UNFORTUNATELY....ON PEACOCK...💵....AH WELL...xsighx...DOODLE-DOO!

mainejeff
March 16th, 2024, 08:45 AM
Maine wins the AE Championship over Vermont and punches their ticket.

OhioHen
March 21st, 2024, 06:31 AM
Maine wins the AE Championship over Vermont and punches their ticket.
Wow! The AE Champ in 2024 is going back in time to play in the 2021 tournament!

Laker
March 25th, 2024, 10:56 PM
Didn't want to start a new thread- figured to recycle this one. Jumped into a DeLorean.

MSU-Mankato Mav women erased a 7 point halftime deficit to win 93-88 in the first round of the Elite 8. Play in the semis Wednesday but their second best player went down with a knee and it doesn't look good.

Mav men play in Evansville tomorrow night. I need to buy some more chocolate milk.

Laker
March 28th, 2024, 08:47 AM
For those who didn't see the winning basket. https://twitter.com/NCAADII/status/1773208494897762544

Chalupa Batman
March 29th, 2024, 07:59 AM
For those who didn't see the winning basket. https://twitter.com/NCAADII/status/1773208494897762544

What a great play. Always be aware of the inbounder!

Laker
March 31st, 2024, 03:39 PM
Mavs beat Texas Women in the finals. Then the men also win so you have two D2 titles in two days. Glad that I got to be at both games, but getting home at 6:30 this morning was a long drive.

ngineer
April 3rd, 2024, 03:35 PM
Caitlyn Clark's performance against LSU was jaw-dropping! Wow.

bulldog10jw
April 4th, 2024, 12:15 PM
Caitlyn Clark's performance against LSU was jaw-dropping! Wow.

The women's final four may be more compelling than the men's. Iowa vs UConn with Clark vs Bueckers and then whoever wins vs undefeated South Carolina (most likely).

On the men's side UConn looks unbeatable.

Ivytalk
April 5th, 2024, 03:52 PM
I agree with bulldog that the UConn men look unbeatable. I think South Carolina will win the women’s title this year. Best balanced team remaining.