PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL: UCA to Atlantic Sun

BEAR
January 14th, 2021, 08:33 PM
https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2021/jan/14/uca-leave-southland-conference-join-atlantic-sun-c/?sports#:~:text=UCA%20is%20one%20of%20five,in%2020 07%2C%20is%20June%2030.

The University of Central Arkansas will move from the Southland Conference to the Atlantic Sun Conference later this year, UCA athletic director Brad Teague confirmed Thursday to the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.
UCA is one of five Southland schools leaving the conference in 2021, and it will debut in the Atlantic Sun during the 2021 fall sports season. UCA’s final day in the Southland, which the Bears joined in 2007, is June 30.

Teague’s confirmation came hours after the long-rumored departures of four of the Southland’s Texas schools were made official by the Western Athletic Conference. Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston State, Lamar University and Abilene Christian University will call that conference home beginning on July 1.

BEAR
January 14th, 2021, 08:37 PM
Brad Teague stated "we are forming the new ASUN football league".

Kennesaw State
North Alabama
UCA
3 others

He also said he hopes to see UCA in the FBS in 2 to 3 years. xeyebrowx

Daytripper
January 14th, 2021, 09:21 PM

Kennesaw State
North Alabama
UCA
3 others

Good luck to you guys. We are all in a transitional, crazy period. I think the Southland programs are actually ahead of the curve in preparing for the major changes in the NCAA realignment that is inevitable.

Baron Sardonicus
January 14th, 2021, 09:38 PM
With WAC and ASun football (the future United Conference) joining FCS, how will playoff auto bids be handled? Reduce at-large bids? Expand the field?

UNAPride
January 14th, 2021, 09:44 PM
With WAC and ASun football (the future United Conference) joining FCS, how will playoff auto bids be handled? Reduce at-large bids? Expand the field?

He covers that in this interview. Wow! Big changes happening!

https://youtu.be/SxP_PNJbiGk?t=2212

DFW HOYA
January 14th, 2021, 10:11 PM
Teague: A-Sun will be "all public schools."

Ok, then, the Big South becomes...

Campbell
Monmouth
Gardner-Webb
Hampton
Robert Morris
NC A&T (not a A-Sun target?)

NY Crusader 2010
January 15th, 2021, 05:43 AM

Currently there are 10 FCS conferences that ACCEPT playoff auto-bids, if you include the MEAC now that the Celebration Bowl is done. Assuming no other FCS conferences fold (MEAC, Big South looking at you), we'd be at 12 with the formation of these 2 new leagues, meaning that the current 24-team setup would still follow NCAA guidelines -- 12 at large, 12 auto. The rule is that any NCAA tournament must include at least as many at-large bids as autos. So the only way the field would NEED to expand is if you ended up in a scenario where you had a field with 13 or more auto-bids.

Mocs123
January 15th, 2021, 06:50 AM
If UCA is making the move I can't see them doing that without the other football schools lined up. We know EKU and JSU have invites - does this mean they are accepting? That's five if they do - need at least one more.

WestCoastAggie
January 15th, 2021, 07:20 AM

Kennesaw State
North Alabama
UCA
3 others

Eastern Kentucky
Jacksonville State
Steston

- - - Updated - - -

Teague: A-Sun will be "all public schools."

Ok, then, the Big South becomes...

Campbell
Monmouth
Gardner-Webb
Hampton
Robert Morris
NC A&T (not a A-Sun target?)

We said no

Mocs123
January 15th, 2021, 07:34 AM
Eastern Kentucky
Jacksonville State
Steston

Do you know Stetson for sure or is that a guess? The reason I ask is I thought the A-Sun wanted to be a bus league and it's 14-15 hours driving time from Central Arkansas to Stetson. Are they wanting to move up from the Pioneer?

Anthony215
January 15th, 2021, 08:11 AM

Kennesaw State
North Alabama
UCA
3 others

How does he expect that with a 10k seat stadium that doesn't look like there's much room for expansion unless you demolish the smaller side and rebuild it to seat 10k.

BEAR
January 15th, 2021, 08:13 AM
Here's how I see it:

The P5 break off from the NCAA and form their own league. $$$$$

Then it's: NCAA
G5 (now at the P5 level)
Lower Bowl teams (likely UCA fits here) (The NEW G5)
FCS
DII
DIII
etc....

BEAR
January 15th, 2021, 08:16 AM
How does he expect that with a 10k seat stadium that doesn't look like there's much room for expansion unless you demolish the smaller side and rebuild it to seat 10k.

UCA has room to make a horseshoe stadium. The areas behind the endzones are HUGE. Now when it comes to $$$$....I'm not so sure. UCA doesn't spend any money on anything. Maybe they've been saving???

Here's a photo from 5 years ago. Construction on BEAR Hall was happening behind the visiting stands. The video board is now covers the entire board you see there. If UCA expands they will run those stands from endzone to endzone. That will add 2-3k seats...or more depending on HOW they do it.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3b/Estes_Stadium,_Conway,_Arkansas.jpg

ST_Lawson
January 15th, 2021, 08:20 AM
We said no

Is that no to joining the Big South, or Atlantic Sun? I thought it was confirmed that A&T was leaving the MEAC. Will they be in the A-Sun with the other public schools?

Daytripper
January 15th, 2021, 09:15 AM
Here's how I see it:

The P5 break off from the NCAA and form their own league. $$$$$

Then it's: NCAA
G5 (now at the P5 level)
Lower Bowl teams (likely UCA fits here) (The NEW G5)
FCS
DII
DIII
etc....

I feel like it would be best to create an entirely new set of terms to describe the hierarchy. This will make it easier to understand, and maybe remove stigma or negative connotations that might be associated with the old categories like G5, FCS, or DII. I don't know what the terms might be so I will leave it up to the AGS collective to figure it out.

Professor
January 15th, 2021, 09:50 AM
Currently there are 10 FCS conferences that ACCEPT playoff auto-bids, if you include the MEAC now that the Celebration Bowl is done. Assuming no other FCS conferences fold (MEAC, Big South looking at you), we'd be at 12 with the formation of these 2 new leagues, meaning that the current 24-team setup would still follow NCAA guidelines -- 12 at large, 12 auto. The rule is that any NCAA tournament must include at least as many at-large bids as autos. So the only way the field would NEED to expand is if you ended up in a scenario where you had a field with 13 or more auto-bids.

Celebration Bowl will be continuing so you can take the MEAC out

DFW HOYA
January 15th, 2021, 10:47 AM
I feel like it would be best to create an entirely new set of terms to describe the hierarchy. This will make it easier to understand, and maybe remove stigma or negative connotations that might be associated with the old categories like G5, FCS, or DII. I don't know what the terms might be so I will leave it up to the AGS collective to figure it out.

English football may be an example.

Premier League (P5)
Championship (G5)
League One (MVFC, CAA, Big Sky, Southern, WAC)
League Two (OVC, SLC, United, SWAC, MEAC)
League Three (Big South, Ivy, NEC, Patriot, Pioneer)

katss07
January 15th, 2021, 11:22 AM
Stetson is private. If Teague is serious about public schools only, you can take Stetson's name "out of the hat".

WestCoastAggie
January 15th, 2021, 11:25 AM
Do you know Stetson for sure or is that a guess? The reason I ask is I thought the A-Sun wanted to be a bus league and it's 14-15 hours driving time from Central Arkansas to Stetson. Are they wanting to move up from the Pioneer?

Speculation right now but their ASun for all but football.

WestCoastAggie
January 15th, 2021, 11:26 AM
Is that no to joining the Big South, or Atlantic Sun? I thought it was confirmed that A&T was leaving the MEAC. Will they be in the A-Sun with the other public schools?

We were invited to the ASun and Big South. We said no to the A Sun.

- - - Updated - - -

We were invited to the ASun and Big South. We said no to the A Sun.

BEAR
January 15th, 2021, 11:53 AM
Teague speaking on the radio today said the Atlantic Sun is now called the ASUN. Interesting.

As for FBS, he kinda backed off and said it would take some studying and increased financing.

HootyHoo
January 15th, 2021, 12:36 PM
Kennesaw State is following the path of Coastal and Liberty to FBS Glory. See North Dakota State? This is how a true Alpha program conducts itself. Not hiding in the shadows, but challenging the Elite football powers in the land. See you in the Show! Hooty F'n Hoo!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
January 15th, 2021, 12:40 PM
Kennesaw State is following the path of Coastal and Liberty to FBS Glory. See North Dakota State? This is how a true Alpha program conducts itself. Not hiding in the shadows, but challenging the Elite football powers in the land. See you in the Show! Hooty F'n Hoo!

Define FBS glory?

FBS is a dumpster fire...

HootyHoo
January 15th, 2021, 12:44 PM
Define FBS glory?

FBS is dumpster fire imo....

A perennial Top 25 team

Go Lehigh TU Owl
January 15th, 2021, 12:46 PM
A perennial Top 25 team

Almost impossible as a G5 program. Cincinnati and Boise State are the closest to accomplishing that. With constant coaching turnover at the G5 level it's really hard to build any consistency/continuity.

HootyHoo
January 15th, 2021, 01:06 PM
Almost impossible as a G5 program. Cincinnati and Boise State are the closest to accomplishing that. With constant coaching turnover at the G5 level it's really hard to build any consistency/continuity.

KSU has two advantages over those two schools. The first is location, being smack dab in the middle of a recruiting hotbed will help with the talent level. And the second is our coach runs the Triple Option which is not an in-demand system at the P5 level.

BEAR
January 15th, 2021, 01:09 PM
Define FBS glory?

FBS is a dumpster fire...

WTH???? What is FBS glory????

Unless I'm wrong apart from the top 10 FBS teams going to high paying bowl games pretty much everyone else is subjugated to play a role in a lower level bowl game with ZERO chance to win a natty.
Of course how much fun you have at a bowl game at any level is up to you....but moving to the FBS pretty much predestines teams like UCA and anyone not named in the P5 to a strange named bowl game. xlolx

Go Lehigh TU Owl
January 15th, 2021, 01:19 PM
KSU has two advantages over those two schools. The first is location, being smack dab in the middle of a recruiting hotbed will help with the talent level. And the second is our coach runs the Triple Option which is not an in-demand system at the P5 level.

KSU sounds very similar to Georgia Southern and the Eagles haven't been able to gain much relevant traction at the FBS level.

Something has to give at the FBS level. Schools with limited resources, $40-50 million dollar endowments, and far down on the state school pecking order are boxing themselves further into a corner. If these schools were Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin etc. state schools they'd be relegated to Division 2. The bubble will burst for many....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
January 15th, 2021, 01:31 PM
WTH???? What is FBS glory????

Unless I'm wrong apart from the top 10 FBS teams going to high paying bowl games pretty much everyone else is subjugated to play a role in a lower level bowl game with ZERO chance to win a natty.
Of course how much fun you have at a bowl game at any level is up to you....but moving to the FBS pretty much predestines teams like UCA and anyone not named in the P5 to a strange named bowl game. xlolx

The bowl system is a corrupt farce. Absolutely atrocious....

Also, these G5 programs will not enjoy the same exposure next year assuming there's "more normalcy". College football dictator ESPN will make sure there's a different narrative....

HootyHoo
January 15th, 2021, 01:33 PM
KSU sounds very similar to Georgia Southern and the Eagles haven't been able to gain much relevant traction at the FBS level.

Something has to give at the FBS level. Schools with limited resources, $40-50 million dollar endowments, and far down on the state school pecking order are boxing themselves further into a corner. If these schools were Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin etc. state schools they'd be relegated to Division 2. The bubble will burst for many....

Ga Southern is in the middle of nowhere and has 16K less students.

TheKingpin28
January 15th, 2021, 01:54 PM

This is such weak bait.

OhioHen
January 15th, 2021, 02:04 PM
Ga Southern is in the middle of nowhere and has 16K less students.

Change Go Lehigh TU owl's post to read Georgia State Panthers instead of Georgia Southern Eagles. Then your argument in favor of KSU having an easy path to relevance is well refuted. Georgia State isn't in the middle of nowhere (unless you consider the middle of Atlanta to be such) and has an enrollment only slightly lower than KSU.

Daytripper
January 15th, 2021, 02:15 PM

When the P5 finally gets its divorce from the NCAA, not all schools currently in those conferences will go. I believe some will look at their realistic feasibility of keeping up financially with the big boys and decide it is not worth it. Especially in this COVID and post-COVID world, universities are not going to be willing to continue to spend beyond their means just to say they are playing with the best when in reality they know they will never be truly and consistently competitive. If the G5, the weak current P5, and the relevant FCS (WAC?) are smart, they will join together and adopt the FCS playoff model. This will be a truly unprecedented opportunity to build a system from scratch, using the decades of experience with the triumph and failure of of previous models.

BEAR
January 15th, 2021, 02:22 PM
One decent bowl game and the payout can be big for a former FCS team. Sure it will take more than a decent bowl but many FBS teams crawl through the FBS.

https://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bowl-schedule/2020/

Go Lehigh TU Owl
January 15th, 2021, 02:51 PM
Change Go Lehigh TU owl's post to read Georgia State Panthers instead of Georgia Southern Eagles. Then your argument in favor of KSU having an easy path to relevance is well refuted. Georgia State isn't in the middle of nowhere (unless you consider the middle of Atlanta to be such) and has an enrollment only slightly lower than KSU.

I used Georgia Southern because they had an established culture of success (supportive administration) at the FCS level. That along with strong fan/alumni support generally translates to at least competence. GSU has been "solid" as a FBS program but hasn't made any significant waves nationally; at least yet. As it is, they just basically "exist" in the shadows.

The AAC apparently has reached out to San Diego State in addition to Boise State. Not sure what it means. If I'm those two schools I stay in the MWC and simply try to strengthen it. It SHOULD be at the AAC's level imo. Boise State, San Diego State, Air Force, Fresno State and Colorado State all have high ceilings imo. Nevada, Wyoming and to some extent Hawaii (when they get a home) can be Top 25ish too.

DFW HOYA
January 15th, 2021, 03:25 PM
When the P5 finally gets its divorce from the NCAA, not all schools currently in those conferences will go. I believe some will look at their realistic feasibility of keeping up financially with the big boys and decide it is not worth it.

This is a popular sentiment but there's very little evidence of this. The idea that Iowa or Oregon State or Pitt is going to walk away is not supportable.

HootyHoo
January 15th, 2021, 03:39 PM
When the P5 finally gets its divorce from the NCAA, not all schools currently in those conferences will go. I believe some will look at their realistic feasibility of keeping up financially with the big boys and decide it is not worth it. Especially in this COVID and post-COVID world, universities are not going to be willing to continue to spend beyond their means just to say they are playing with the best when in reality they know they will never be truly and consistently competitive. If the G5, the weak current P5, and the relevant FCS (WAC?) are smart, they will join together and adopt the FCS playoff model. This will be a truly unprecedented opportunity to build a system from scratch, using the decades of experience with the triumph and failure of of previous models.

I agree. The P5 and the G5 will split into two separate postseason systems. The G7(G5+WAC & ASUN) could create an 8 team playoff and essentially become a 1.25 league between the FBS and FCS.

HootyHoo
January 15th, 2021, 03:41 PM

I agree. The P5 and the G5 will split into two separate postseason systems. The G7(G5+WAC & ASUN) could create an 8 team playoff and essentially become a 1.25 league between the FBS and FCS.

- - - Updated - - -

nodak651
January 15th, 2021, 04:46 PM
IF the WAC and ASUN "go FBS" ya gotta think the MVFC and CAA would be going too. It also wouldn't be FBS as we currently know it.

Daytripper
January 15th, 2021, 05:05 PM

Screw an 8 team playoff. Have a 24 team tournament. More fans will be excited throughout the season. Look a the NCAA BB tournament. 90% of the teams that make it to the dance know they have no chance of winning it all, but they are freakin' blown away that they got there.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
January 15th, 2021, 05:13 PM
Screw an 8 team playoff. Have a 24 team tournament. More fans will be excited throughout the season. Look a the NCAA BB tournament. 90% of the teams that make it to the dance know they have no chance of winning it all, but they are freakin' blown away that they got there.

Ohh please no! 24 teams is far too many for FCS. The last thing I want is a watered down FBS playoff system. The top 2 or 3 teams should not be subjected to a bunch of bracket fillers on their way to a title game. Football is not basketball when it comes to injuries and attrition.

Hopefully FBS does not expand beyond 8. Which I doubt they will. I'd love for FCS to go back to 16...or maybe fewer. If FCS drops to less than 100 programs hopefully the playoff adjusts accordingly.

Daytripper
January 15th, 2021, 07:00 PM
Ohh please no! 24 teams is far too many for FCS. The last thing I want is a watered down FBS playoff system. The top 2 or 3 teams should not be subjected to a bunch of bracket fillers on their way to a title game. Football is not basketball when it comes to injuries and attrition.

Hopefully FBS does not expand beyond 8. Which I doubt they will. I'd love for FCS to go back to 16...or maybe fewer. If FCS drops to less than 100 programs hopefully the playoff adjusts accordingly.

Whatever. The point is to grow the popularity of the product and get students and fans engaged. You can wish for a perfect system that adheres to your narrow view of what the competitive structure should be, but it will continue the downward trajectory of college football, and especially FCS, relevance as a whole. If we are going to get fans in the seats and donors from alumni, the same old ideas won't work. We have to be bold and creative.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
January 15th, 2021, 07:47 PM
Whatever. The point is to grow the popularity of the product and get students and fans engaged. You can wish for a perfect system that adheres to your narrow view of what the competitive structure should be, but it will continue the downward trajectory of college football, and especially FCS, relevance as a whole. If we are going to get fans in the seats and donors from alumni, the same old ideas won't work. We have to be bold and creative.

Alabama dominates FBS with a 4 team playoff while NDSU dominates FCS with a 24 team playoff. It doesn't matter how hard people want to skew things or come up with contrived scenarios to increase competition, or the illusion of such, the reality is the cream will always rise to the top when it comes to football at the high school and college level.

Fans interest has nothing to do with an expanded college football playoff. If you want fan engagement and donations to increase at the FBS level then TV will have to back away. Their voice matters a helluva lot more than big boosters. NASCAR was the first sport to sell their soul to TV in 2001; we got stage racing, dictated start times, the chase for the cup, yadda yadda. College football followed a year or two later with conference re-alignment. The PGA Tour then went all in with the Fedex Cup which is still irrelevant no matter how hard the media tries to convince people it matters.

Most FBS kickoff times are now announced less than a week in advance. TV doesn't care about the attending fans and their travel logistics. The networks pay the bills, the people in the stands are simply there to create theater at this point. Covid has proven that across the board.....

Fans and alums mostly want meaningful rivalries and water cooler bragging rights. College football was built on relentless pride, rivalries and territorial dominance. That will never change despite how hard ESPN tries to convince people into believing the CFP and NY6 are the "holy grail".

TV has done their best to turn spectator sports into made for TV shows. In general, I think TV has failed miserably.....

NY Crusader 2010
January 15th, 2021, 09:14 PM

Boise State is the only G5 school (and I-AA/FCS move-up) that I would really categorize as having broken the "glass ceiling", consistently contending for New Year's Bowl berths and logging Top 10 finishes for the better part of a decade. Still waiting for that Big 12 or Pac 12 invite though....

Cincinnati doesn't count IMO -- they have historically been a major college football program and as recently as 2013 were in a "power conference" (we used to call them BCS conferences) as members of the Big East.

This year's Liberty-Coastal Carolina bowl matchup tells us everything we need to know about what FBS "aspirations" wind up leading to, even in a near best-case scenario. 10+ wins, beating Top 25 teams, getting ranked, all to end up in a mid-December bowl game against another school still transitioning to FBS.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
January 15th, 2021, 09:45 PM
Boise State is the only G5 school (and I-AA/FCS move-up) that I would really categorize as having broken the "glass ceiling", consistently contending for New Year's Bowl berths and logging Top 10 finishes for the better part of a decade. Still waiting for that Big 12 or Pac 12 invite though....

Cincinnati doesn't count IMO -- they have historically been a major college football program and as recently as 2013 were in a "power conference" (we used to call them BCS conferences) as members of the Big East.

This year's Liberty-Coastal Carolina bowl matchup tells us everything we need to know about what FBS "aspirations" wind up leading to, even in a near best-case scenario. 10+ wins, beating Top 25 teams, getting ranked, all to end up in a mid-December bowl game against another school still transitioning to FBS.

Temple was an original football member of the Big East! And look where we are now; G5 nevereverland and a coaching carousel that will make you dizzy. Speaking of making your head spin; Temple football's path, 1-A Independence 1970-90, Big East from 1991-2004, back to 1-A Independence for 2005-'06, the MAC from 2007-11, back to the Big East in 2012 and finally the AAC since 2013.

Our basketball program has had 3 coaches (Chaney, Dunphy and McKie) and been in 2 conferences (A10 and AAC) since I was born in 1982.

Division 1 football, especially FBS football, is a brutal proposition. Those Big West schools that closed shop in the mid 90's knew where things were headed at he 1-A level. Likewise with the MAAC programs that were forced to move up due to the "Dayton Rule". You can get by with some smoke and mirrors for a little while but eventually your butt better have a helluva lot of capital and/or willing investors to make it at a truly successful venture. At the end of the day, water always finds its level.....

DFW HOYA
January 15th, 2021, 10:01 PM
Temple was an original football member of the Big East! And look where we are now; G5 nevereverland and a coaching carousel that will make you dizzy. Speaking of making your head spin; Temple football's path, 1-A Independence 1970-90, Big East from 1991-2004, back to 1-A Independence for 2005-'06, the MAC from 2007-11, back to the Big East in 2012 and finally the AAC since 2013. Our basketball program has had 3 coaches (Chaney, Dunphy and McKie) and been in 2 conferences (A10 and AAC) since I was born in 1982.

Division 1 football, especially FBS football, is a brutal proposition. Those Big West schools that closed shop in the mid 90's knew where things were headed at he 1-A level. Likewise with the MAAC programs that were forced to move up due to the "Dayton Rule". You can get by with some smoke and mirrors for a little while but eventually your butt better have a helluva lot of capital and/or willing investors to make it at a truly successful venture. At the end of the day, water always finds its level.....

Temple football would have fared better with its own facilities. I was hoping they could have closed the deal on the Broad St. stadium.

https://media.phillyvoice.com/media/images/Temple_stadium_main.2e16d0ba.fill-735x490.png

As top the MAAC schools, it's a long story, but the conference basically gave up on football and sent the message to its schools to do likewise... to focus on basketball. In the long run, MAAC basketball is weaker than ever.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
January 15th, 2021, 10:12 PM
Temple football would have fared better with its own facilities. I was hoping they could have closed the deal on the Broad St. stadium.

https://media.phillyvoice.com/media/images/Temple_stadium_main.2e16d0ba.fill-735x490.png

As top the MAAC schools, it's a long story, but the conference basically gave up on football and sent the message to its schools to do likewise... to focus on basketball. In the long run, MAAC basketball is weaker than ever.

Philadelphia politics along with zoning and urban planning battles killed the stadium idea before it really ever had a chance.

Siena rose to prominence with McCaffery right around the time the Saints axed football. Iona has had their moments too over the last 10 years or so. Overall, it's been "respectable" imo relative to how it was in the 90's and early 00's.

I would advise UCA to invest in basketball. Maybe Pippen's kid will leave Vanderbilt for Conway....

Daytripper
January 15th, 2021, 10:37 PM
Alabama dominates FBS with a 4 team playoff while NDSU dominates FCS with a 24 team playoff. It doesn't matter how hard people want to skew things or come up with contrived scenarios to increase competition, or the illusion of such, the reality is the cream will always rise to the top when it comes to football at the high school and college level.

Fans interest has nothing to do with an expanded college football playoff. If you want fan engagement and donations to increase at the FBS level then TV will have to back away. Their voice matters a helluva lot more than big boosters. NASCAR was the first sport to sell their soul to TV in 2001; we got stage racing, dictated start times, the chase for the cup, yadda yadda. College football followed a year or two later with conference re-alignment. The PGA Tour then went all in with the Fedex Cup which is still irrelevant no matter how hard the media tries to convince people it matters.

Most FBS kickoff times are now announced less than a week in advance. TV doesn't care about the attending fans and their travel logistics. The networks pay the bills, the people in the stands are simply there to create theater at this point. Covid has proven that across the board.....

Fans and alums mostly want meaningful rivalries and water cooler bragging rights. College football was built on relentless pride, rivalries and territorial dominance. That will never change despite how hard ESPN tries to convince people into believing the CFP and NY6 are the "holy grail".

TV has done their best to turn spectator sports into made for TV shows. In general, I think TV has failed miserably.....

Tell that to the team and the fans from a minor conference that made the NCAA basketball tournament. We have to think of football in the same way we do basketball. The more programs with the chance to achieve the impossible dream the better.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
January 15th, 2021, 11:39 PM
Tell that to the team and the fans from a minor conference that made the NCAA basketball tournament. We have to think of football in the same way we do basketball. The more programs with the chance to achieve the impossible dream the better.

I completely disagree. The two sports have nothing in common. Hence why you have 7 game series professionally or will play 5 games in 5 days in a conference tournament at the college level. The time it takes to play a basketball game along with the physical attrition and recovery time are nothing like football. It's much easier to hand out participation trophies and feel good stories in basketball than in football. I've never seen the "Hoosiers" football version.

A team like 2017 Lehigh or 2013 Lafayette had zero business being in the FCS playoffs. I'm very much anti-participation trophy when it comes to football. I want the least amount of fluff to determine the best team. The FCS playoffs would not have been any "less" had Monmouth and Holy Cross not played in 2019. That was a completely irrelevant game. Neither team belonged on the same field as JMU in the next round. We didn't need 60 minutes of lopsided football and the Duke players risking injury to tell us that. Just like I don't need to or want to see Alabama play a vastly inferior #16 10-1 Louisiana or 9-3 Texas who wants to fire their coach.

I'm a huge supporter of a Patriot League team (Lehigh) and an alum of a G5 school (Temple). I'm trying to be as realistic and pragmatic as possible based on that perspective. My whole thing has always been "get better". When warranted I believe Lehigh has fared pretty well in 1-AA/FCS and likewise with Temple's place in 1-A/FBS since Golden turned the program around 12-13 years ago. Of the two, Lehigh has faced more red tape in FCS than Temple has in FBS. Lehigh literally had to go undefeated 3x in 4 years (beat the A10 and Gateway Champ along the way) before the NCAA gave them a home playoff game. This was at a time when schools like Lehigh and Furman were in or near the Top 10 in FCS attendance.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
January 16th, 2021, 12:09 AM
To tie this all in, I'm interested to see how the new Atlantic Sun conference will be perceived by the FCS community and playoff committee.

HootyHoo
January 16th, 2021, 12:43 AM
To tie this all in, I'm interested to see how the new Atlantic Sun conference will be perceived by the FCS community and playoff committee.

The ASUN has a great foundation with Central Arkansas and Kennesaw State. It should definitely be a two-bid league with the opportunity for 3 in a good year. It is a better conference than the SOCON or OVC.

Baron Sardonicus
January 16th, 2021, 12:01 PM
Yes, they'll go FBS. Yes, Liberty will join.

katss07
January 16th, 2021, 01:05 PM
Not sure Kennesaw State should consider FBS, they'd no longer be able to play Point or Reinhardt.

DFW HOYA
January 16th, 2021, 01:43 PM
Not sure Kennesaw State should consider FBS, they'd no longer be able to play Point or Reinhardt.
Nothing prevents them, of course.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
January 16th, 2021, 01:57 PM
Nothing prevents them, of course.

Peer pressure will often incite or deter. How the ASun and WAC play out will have a serious impact on FCS/FBS and the G5.

Libertine
January 16th, 2021, 02:34 PM

That's cold.

I like it.

Keeper
January 16th, 2021, 10:40 PM
Yes, they'll go FBS. Yes, Liberty will join.

I don't think NCAA allows conference move-ups to FBS.
Need minimum 8 members "invited" from current FBS conference(s).
Perhaps they can use Liberty's waiver as a wedge, but not likely.
Is LFN out there to corroborate?

TheRevSFA
January 17th, 2021, 07:27 AM
They won’t be FBS in 2-3 years. UCA’s stadium would need major expansion to meet attendance “requirements”

5-10 years? Absolutely. Of course if the G5 splits from the P5, it’ll make it easier to move a level.

Mocs123
January 17th, 2021, 09:03 AM
So who is UCA going to play football against next fall? Though KSU and UNA will obviously be part of the A-Sun football deal, I don't think they have announced they are leaving the Big South yet. JSU and EKU have invites but have yet to accept or deny, correct? Will UCA play as a football independent for fall 2021?

WestCoastAggie
January 17th, 2021, 09:24 AM
So who is UCA going to play football against next fall? Though KSU and UNA will obviously be part of the A-Sun football deal, I don't think they have announced they are leaving the Big South yet. JSU and EKU have invites but have yet to accept or deny, correct? Will UCA play as a football independent for fall 2021?

Announcements should be made by March 1 as these schools gotta have BOT meets to confirm these moves just as A&T and FAMU had for their moves.

ASU33
January 17th, 2021, 10:30 AM
So how does A&T feel about the Big South now? From the looks of things A&T left a burning ship that was familiar to them to one that's not.

WestCoastAggie
January 17th, 2021, 10:34 AM
It’s too early to tell if the move will pay dividends. However, we’re in the process of announcing an Athletics Capital Campaign.

At this point, I would not be shocked to hear our name come up in any FBS realignment rumors.

ASU33
January 17th, 2021, 10:59 AM
It’s too early to tell if the move will pay dividends. However, we’re in the process of announcing an Athletics Capital Campaign.

At this point, I would not be shocked to hear our name come up in any FBS realignment rumors.

I agree. You won't be able to tell if the move was for the better for a few years but here in the early going I know people will have questions with the schools leaving the Big South.

aggie2039
January 17th, 2021, 12:43 PM
So how does A&T feel about the Big South now? From the looks of things A&T left a burning ship that was familiar to them to one that's not.

A&T is in a good position... The Big South has an automatic playoff bid and the MEAC doesnt. Additionally, the BS is more geographically compact thus saving travel cost and reducing time away from class for our students. Monmouth and RMU will be football only so we'll still realize a huge cost savings. Consider these travel times.

Campbell University - 1.5 hrs
Charleston Southern - 4 hours
Gardner Webb University- 2 hrs
Hampton University - 3.5 hrs
High Point University - 20 minutes
Longwood University- 2 hrs
Radford University - 2 hrs
UNC-Asheville - 2.5 hrs
USC-Upstate - 2.5 hrs
Winthrop - 2 hrs

That's an average of only 2.5 hrs drive time and definitely fits our definition of bus league. In addition these are all day trips and would require no overnight accommodations unless it's a multi day event.

Big South is farrrr from a burning ship, with the addition of A&T the conf will have 12 schools

Additionally, all conf championships are held within 2.5 hours of A&Ts campus allowing more parents and fans to attend the event. Its a win win for A&T

DFW HOYA
January 17th, 2021, 01:35 PM
A&T is in a good position... The Big South has an automatic playoff bid and the MEAC doesnt. Additionally, the BS is more geographically compact thus saving travel cost and reducing time away from class for our students. Monmouth and RMU will be football only so we'll still realize a huge cost savings.

Also unsaid: A&T has the opportunity to dominate the Big South and get much more attention as a playoff and/or regular NCAA basketball tournament entrant.

aggie2039
January 17th, 2021, 01:58 PM
Also unsaid: A&T has the opportunity to dominate the Big South and get much more attention as a playoff and/or regular NCAA basketball
tournament entrant.

Basketball...not so much. We really struggle in basketball...Winthrop is a projected 12 seed while i will be surprised if we finish top 4 in the MEAC this year.

DFW HOYA
January 17th, 2021, 04:58 PM
Basketball...not so much. We really struggle in basketball...Winthrop is a projected 12 seed while i will be surprised if we finish top 4 in the MEAC this year.

For now, sure. But a new conference can elevate a lot of programs...or conversely, deflate a few. The ACC is a conference full of Big East teams who knew better days.

DEX
January 18th, 2021, 08:49 AM
I agree. You won't be able to tell if the move was for the better for a few years but here in the early going I know people will have questions with the schools leaving the Big South.

A&T also received an invite from the ASUN which we declined so none of what's happening is coming as a surprise.

A couple years ago I predicted we were heading towards an eventual MEAC / Big South merger. Not sure what the end product would look like but with both conferences losing football members I think it's inevitable.

SUPharmacist
January 18th, 2021, 08:25 PM
I'm a huge supporter of a Patriot League team (Lehigh) and an alum of a G5 school (Temple). I'm trying to be as realistic and pragmatic as possible based on that perspective. My whole thing has always been "get better". When warranted I believe Lehigh has fared pretty well in 1-AA/FCS and likewise with Temple's place in 1-A/FBS since Golden turned the program around 12-13 years ago. Of the two, Lehigh has faced more red tape in FCS than Temple has in FBS. Lehigh literally had to go undefeated 3x in 4 years (beat the A10 and Gateway Champ along the way) before the NCAA gave them a home playoff game. This was at a time when schools like Lehigh and Furman were in or near the Top 10 in FCS attendance.

While I agree with you that basketball and football are completely different beasts, I think your "get better" idea is not grounded in reality.

Lehigh will only make waves in the playoffs when they "get better," but they are given the chance to show whether they have or have not. If I am wondering if a 3rd or 4th place team from the CAA, Big Sky or MVFC deserves that spot over the Patriot League champ, I am dead wrong. The PL deserves their shot and if they get stomped it only motivates them to "get better." Those 3rd or 4th place teams from "Power Conferences" already showed they don't deserve it (plus when they see they missed out to a team they think stinks it is motivation to win the conference next year). This isn't the Pros I love these different matchups even if there are a lot of blowouts. The FCS structure right now allows a team to make a surprise run.

As far as "get better" and the FBS, unless you are in the P5 it doesn't matter if you "get better." Temple or other G5 programs would likely need 5 near perfect years to get a shot at the title. Would Cincinatti have gotten blown out in the playoff? Quite likely. But we already new what was going to happen with Notre Dame, and the other P5 programs being considered had already shown they could not hang with Alabama, Clemson or Ohio State. Give me something new and reward these other programs.

In a previous comment you talked about rivalries being what really drives things. That is true and you can keep those in the regular season and get a shot at greater glory later. Outside of beating rivals directly isn't it also fun to rub in your rivals face when you make the playoffs or win the title? I love to be able to tell fans of rivals, that not only did we beat you the rest of the country also thinks Podunk U is better and they got stomped in the playoffs by Nowhere Tech (it doesn't matter if those hypothetical teams are trash or are actually awesome, if they are out of your local sphere you can use them to **** on your rival).

I want to see different programs and the rare cases where these teams have gotten better I want to see that amazing run. I am just glad Cincinatti lost to Georgia, although they did show they can "hang." Nothing is more disappointing to me than a year where a G5 team runs through the season and then blows the doors off their opponent in a lower bowl. Give them their shot.

DFW HOYA
January 18th, 2021, 11:10 PM
Lehigh will only make waves in the playoffs when they "get better," but they are given the chance to show whether they have or have not. If I am wondering if a 3rd or 4th place team from the CAA, Big Sky or MVFC deserves that spot over the Patriot League champ, I am dead wrong. The PL deserves their shot and if they get stomped it only motivates them to "get better." Those 3rd or 4th place teams from "Power Conferences" already showed they don't deserve it (plus when they see they missed out to a team they think stinks it is motivation to win the conference next year). This isn't the Pros I love these different matchups even if there are a lot of blowouts. The FCS structure right now allows a team to make a surprise run.

That's fine from a fan standpoint, but the playoff committee will view the 4th place CAA team superior to a 6-5 or 7-4 PL team nine times out of ten. Some of this is the PL's own doing given that, in spite of adding scholarships for six of seven schools, is arguably weaker in perception than it was a decade ago. Some of it is the perception that the five power FCS conferences are, all things being equal, markedly better than the others and that a 6-5 New Hampshire team is still better than any 7-4 Patriot or Big South team and should not be penalized simply for being in a more competitive conference.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
January 19th, 2021, 11:33 AM
While I agree with you that basketball and football are completely different beasts, I think your "get better" idea is not grounded in reality.

As far as "get better" and the FBS, unless you are in the P5 it doesn't matter if you "get better." Temple or other G5 programs would likely need 5 near perfect years to get a shot at the title. Would Cincinatti have gotten blown out in the playoff? Quite likely. But we already new what was going to happen with Notre Dame, and the other P5 programs being considered had already shown they could not hang with Alabama, Clemson or Ohio State. Give me something new and reward these other programs.

In a previous comment you talked about rivalries being what really drives things. That is true and you can keep those in the regular season and get a shot at greater glory later. Outside of beating rivals directly isn't it also fun to rub in your rivals face when you make the playoffs or win the title? I love to be able to tell fans of rivals, that not only did we beat you the rest of the country also thinks Podunk U is better and they got stomped in the playoffs by Nowhere Tech (it doesn't matter if those hypothetical teams are trash or are actually awesome, if they are out of your local sphere you can use them to **** on your rival).

I want to see different programs and the rare cases where these teams have gotten better I want to see that amazing run. I am just glad Cincinatti lost to Georgia, although they did show they can "hang." Nothing is more disappointing to me than a year where a G5 team runs through the season and then blows the doors off their opponent in a lower bowl. Give them their shot.

My "get better" is relative to a program's ceiling. No matter what some would like to believe, Alabama and Vanderbilt do not have the same ceiling, Clemson and Coastal Carolina do not have the same ceiling, NDSU and Indiana State do not have the same ceiling, Lehigh and Georgetown do not have the same ceiling. With that said, if the stars align with coaching, players, luck and opportunity CCU can put together a Top 15ish season or Vanderbilt can have James Franklin type "success", Indiana State can win in the Fargo Dome, Georgetown can beat Lehigh once every 20 years.

I'm happy with Lehigh's (and Colgate's and Fordham's, 21st century Holy Cross's is TBD) history of showing they can compete/be among the top 4 or 5 teams in FCS, compete for national awards, beat bad FBS programs etc. Right now, Lehigh simply needs to "get better" in order to return to FCS national relevancy. They made a questionable hire (juries still out) after a proven coach (Andy Coen) fell stricken with a horrible illness. It's on the administration, coaches and players to guide the program back once things return to "normal".

Temple is where we are largely due to our administration's failure. Had the program been handled properly during our Big East days we'd almost certainly be in the ACC right now given our basketball program and academic profile. As it is, I'm perfectly happy with the amount of success football has enjoyed the last 12 years or so once we found stability in the MAC. The biggest issue (G5 problem in general) is retaining coaches. The odds of hitting on 4 or 5 hires in a row while maintaining recruiting/locker room continuity are fairly low. Cincinnati had a great season but had zero business in the playoffs. ND lost by 17 to 'Bama and held the Tide to their lowest point total of the year. OSU honestly fared worse than the Irish. Alabama was so much better than everyone else this year it was comical. Just like 2001 Miami or 1995 Nebraska in years past.

The best non-BCS/P5 teams I recall the last 20 years or so were
2004 Utah 12-0, Finished ranked #4/#5 Urban Meyer and Alex Smith, crushed Larry Fitzgerald and Pitt in Fiesta Bowl
2008 Utah 13-0 Finished ranked #2/#4, beat Nick Saban and #4 Alabama 31-17 in Sugar Bowl
2009 Boise State 14-0, Finished ranked #4/#4, beat #3 TCU 17-10 in Fiesta Bowl
2010 TCU 13-0 finished ranked #2/#2, beat #4 Wisconsin 21-19 in Rose Bowl
2017 UCF Finished ranked #6/#7, beat #7 Auburn 34-27 in Peach Bowl

Milktruck74
January 20th, 2021, 05:21 PM
As fans we look at conference invites based on the school's team's strengths. Conferences are looking for a completely different metric. They look at eyeballs and potential sponsorship revenue. We may see a team that is dominate in several sports as a goot land, they see the conference sees the market that surrounds the school. Why is Vandy still in the SEC? NASHVILLE!!!! Why hasn't Jax St been invited tothe SlumBelt? Because Cooter's, the official Rib Shack of the SunBelt Conference doesn't have that je ne sais quoi....NOPE, because Cooter's ain't dropping that coin!!!! We gotta realize G5 and FCS Conferences are about to get tossed on their heads (covid only made it happen about 2-3 years before it would have happened)...our world is about to change DRAMATICALLY and it isn't about what's best for the fans!!!! UCA and the TX teams to the WAC are all ahead of the curve on this one.

JoshUCA
January 20th, 2021, 07:58 PM
As fans we look at conference invites based on the school's team's strengths. Conferences are looking for a completely different metric. They look at eyeballs and potential sponsorship revenue. We may see a team that is dominate in several sports as a goot land, they see the conference sees the market that surrounds the school. Why is Vandy still in the SEC? NASHVILLE!!!! Why hasn't Jax St been invited tothe SlumBelt? Because Cooter's, the official Rib Shack of the SunBelt Conference doesn't have that je ne sais quoi....NOPE, because Cooter's ain't dropping that coin!!!! We gotta realize G5 and FCS Conferences are about to get tossed on their heads (covid only made it happen about 2-3 years before it would have happened)...our world is about to change DRAMATICALLY and it isn't about what's best for the fans!!!! UCA and the TX teams to the WAC are all ahead of the curve on this one.

Exactly!
Dr. Teague makes mention of just this in the video below.

https://fb.watch/38Cfhfq2Op/

BEAR
January 20th, 2021, 08:40 PM
Interesting. Teague said in that interview that UCA had three conferences offer membership. Wonder who the other two were. ( If I heard him right ) FBS is a possibility but he seems to think it will only be UCA and the other ASUN schools trying to stay just below the highest level.

mvfcfan
January 21st, 2021, 12:22 PM
Probably the WAC and the OVC. I'm hearing that EKU and JSU are probably going to be joining the ASUN as well. EKU surprises me, JSU not so much. My guess is that the OVC adds WIU and Lipscomb. WIU for an 8th football school, and Lipscomb for basketball / complete control of Nashville (minus Vandy obviously).

walliver
January 21st, 2021, 02:55 PM
A&T also received an invite from the ASUN which we declined so none of what's happening is coming as a surprise.

A couple years ago I predicted we were heading towards an eventual MEAC / Big South merger. Not sure what the end product would look like but with both conferences losing football members I think it's inevitable.

The Big South has a lot of non-football members and would do OK without Big South football (PC, Radford, UNC-Asheville, Winthrop, Longwood, High Point, USC-Upstate). I could see a Big South - MEAC combined football league, however. To be honest, it makes sense for NCCU and SCSU to follow A&T to the Big South as they both will be outliers in the new MEAC. I doubt the most Big South schools would want many of the northern division schools for travel reasons.

Milktruck74
January 21st, 2021, 03:26 PM
Probably the WAC and the OVC. I'm hearing that EKU and JSU are probably going to be joining the ASUN as well. EKU surprises me, JSU not so much. My guess is that the OVC adds WIU and Lipscomb. WIU for an 8th football school, and Lipscomb for basketball / complete control of Nashville (minus Vandy obviously).

As per my above post, Nashville is a big market and one conferences want to tap...but if you are already there, do you want to double down on that one or reach out into another? I really don't know the answer or if there is even a right answer...we will just have to see what the OVC does.

Libertine
January 23rd, 2021, 09:11 PM
My guess is that the OVC adds WIU and Lipscomb. WIU for an 8th football school, and Lipscomb for basketball / complete control of Nashville (minus Vandy obviously).

I doubt that Belmont would be OK with Lipscomb coming into the OVC and I'm not sure that Lipscomb would willingly take the hit in conference NET rating along with going to a conference where they would be "the other Nashville team". On top of that, there's no love lost at all between these two. Belmont considers Lipscomb to be definitively a tier below them and Lipscomb isn't happy that Belmont scooped their most successful basketball coach ever to take a cross town job.

solohawks
January 23rd, 2021, 11:07 PM
They play each other home and home now as non conference opponents.

If OVC has an opening it would make sense for Belmont to push for Lipscomb

El Cid 80
January 25th, 2021, 06:49 AM
When will UCA, EKU and JSU join the ASUN?
All three schools will begin full membership effective July 1, 2021, and compete in all sports in the 2021-22 academic year.

https://ekusports.com/sports/2021/1/24/a...rence-faqs (https://ekusports.com/sports/2021/1/24/asun-conference-faqs)

BEAR
January 25th, 2021, 08:20 AM
When will UCA, EKU and JSU join the ASUN?
All three schools will begin full membership effective July 1, 2021, and compete in all sports in the 2021-22 academic year.

https://ekusports.com/sports/2021/1/24/a...rence-faqs (https://ekusports.com/sports/2021/1/24/asun-conference-faqs)

The ASUN move into football was made only with the condition that there will be no reduction in focus, support, promotion, and emphasis on basketball success.

Hmmmm....xeyebrowx

WestCoastAggie
January 25th, 2021, 08:21 AM
Hmmmm....xeyebrowx

Budget increases?

BEAR
January 25th, 2021, 08:28 AM
Budget increases?

Well yeah. I think once the ASUN gets a few more good football teams in it and adds a few more years down the road I think that idea of going FBS and getting that bowl money will be just too enticing.
I've noticed when a school has a strong football program AND their basketball program is good, then there is a draw to that school. Look at Alabama. Their football program is obviously tops but their basketball program is doing pretty darn good itself. It's a draw for kids. More money for the school. Yes the Alabama example is picking an extreme but their basketball program isn't suffering because their football is and has done so well. The money will flow when the school has good sports all around. Besides, I can't stand going to a conference where ONE sport dominates and leaves you with nothing to follow the rest of the year. xlolx

BEAR
January 25th, 2021, 08:40 AM
I decided to look over how my bears have done since moving to the FCS in the Southland against our conference opponents.
Since we aren't going to play them on a regular basis anymore.

Sam Houston State: 7-7
SFA: 11-3
McNeese: 7-5
NWST: 10-3
SLU: 9-4
Nicholls: 9-3
ACU: 9-1
Lamar: 8-1
HBU: 5-0
UIW: 3-1

Haven't looked at these numbers that closely just got them off a football website so there may be a different number for each if you break it down further...but I imagine it wouldn't be THAT different.

Gonna miss those road trips to Nacho Libre, Lake Charles etc...best food and awesome fans to boot. xthumbsupx

JoshUCA
January 25th, 2021, 10:29 AM
Basketball success? What's that? xlolx

Also, looks like the article got pulled from the EKU site.

UNAPride
January 25th, 2021, 10:40 AM

Here's what it said: https://unapride.proboards.com/thread/1378/asun-expansion-faq

JoshUCA
January 25th, 2021, 10:40 AM
https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/1353735525828497411/photo/1

Thanks Twitter!

Laker
January 25th, 2021, 11:03 AM

I went to the ASUN site and the EKU site after reading that article. Nothing to be found. Wrote to the EKU AD to ask him if it was legit. That was at 7 AM CST. No answer yet.

WestCoastAggie
January 25th, 2021, 12:57 PM
I hope they don’t get that 6th team so we can see a Big South with those A-Sun teams. Would that be a top-3 conference?

katss07
January 25th, 2021, 02:26 PM
ASUN should reach out to JMU. Both could benefit. Much like the WAC, ASUN has FBS expectations in the near future and JMU has hinted at wanting out of the CAA. Hell, Cignetti was even quoted fairly recently saying "It seems like the bottom teams in the conference are holding the top teams in the conference back at times on certain issues." Despite rejected that Sun Belt invite a few years ago, it's clear that FBS is Madison's intention. I'm sure they'd be content moving to a different FCS league for a few years if it meant a likely move up in the future.

They certainly fit the large public school mold Teague has stated the conference is looking for. Geographically it might seem a bit far fetched, but if/when they go FBS and Liberty joins, they'd have an in state school right there. With the current landscape of football, this might be their best path to realize their FBS dreams. Maybe it's a bit far fetched, but it could work out well for both and would absolutely be a home run get for the conference.

JoshUCA
January 25th, 2021, 03:19 PM
ASUN should reach out to JMU. Both could benefit. Much like the WAC, ASUN has FBS expectations in the near future and JMU has hinted at wanting out of the CAA. Hell, Cignetti was even quoted fairly recently saying "It seems like the bottom teams in the conference are holding the top teams in the conference back at times on certain issues." Despite rejected that Sun Belt invite a few years ago, it's clear that FBS is Madison's intention. I'm sure they'd be content moving to a different FCS league for a few years if it meant a likely move up in the future.

They certainly fit the large public school mold Teague has stated the conference is looking for. Geographically it might seem a bit far fetched, but if/when they go FBS and Liberty joins, they'd have an in state school right there. With the current landscape of football, this might be their best path to realize their FBS dreams. Maybe it's a bit far fetched, but it could work out well for both and would absolutely be a home run get for the conference.

JMU is a name that I’ve heard tossed around. They would definitely be a great addition!

dgtw
January 26th, 2021, 02:19 PM
The Jacksonville State Board of Trustees has voted to give the university president permission to explore membership in other conferences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jsualumnus
January 27th, 2021, 08:04 AM
That article in the Anniston Star came out quickly after EKU jumped the gun on the ASUN faqs page, didn’t it?

Cocky
January 27th, 2021, 11:17 AM
JSU is changing conferences not exploring.

dgtw
January 27th, 2021, 01:47 PM
JSU is changing conferences not exploring.

Just quoting the wording of the BOT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schism55
January 27th, 2021, 03:01 PM
https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/status/1354528029435977733

JoshUCA
January 27th, 2021, 04:21 PM
Finally going to make it official!

BEAR
January 28th, 2021, 08:15 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EsxBtmjW4AAs5lF?format=jpg&name=small

BEAR
January 28th, 2021, 08:16 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EsmWwW0XcAEmAiA?format=jpg&name=small

SFA 93
January 28th, 2021, 08:23 AM
Probably the best section of the U.S. to have sports right now.

EKU05
January 28th, 2021, 08:24 AM
That's not even close to where Richmond is located...lol. Not a great job on Nashville either.

OhioHen
January 28th, 2021, 08:49 AM
That's not even close to where Richmond is located...lol. Not a great job on Nashville either.

The star for an accurately located Richmond would be smack in the middle of the I and N of Bellarmine.

Laker
January 28th, 2021, 08:58 AM
Has mapmaking become a lost art? I saw this map of Spanish America in 1810. So wrong- the US had bought Louisiana from France (who took it from Spain) in 1803 and they have West Virginia on her- which didn't become a state until 1863.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Esz52xOWMAEu89B?format=jpg&name=large

BEAR
January 28th, 2021, 09:00 AM

I grabbed that off twitter. Guess the artist ran out of room with his graphics...xlolx

JoshUCA
January 28th, 2021, 09:40 AM
With the announcement tomorrow, do you think they will only add UCA, EKU, and JSU or do you think there is another school they will add that has been kept quiet?

UNAPride
January 28th, 2021, 11:07 AM
A bit of a recap: https://asunfootball.com/2021/01/27/welcome-to-asunfootball-com/

EKU05
January 28th, 2021, 11:15 AM
I grabbed that off twitter. Guess the artist ran out of room with his graphics...xlolx

I had seen it in several other places before I saw it here as well. I think it's obviously something someone threw together quickly to run with a story.

WestCoastAggie
January 28th, 2021, 11:37 AM
With the announcement tomorrow, do you think they will only add UCA, EKU, and JSU or do you think there is another school they will add that has been kept quiet?

It would've come out but now. Honestly, this wasn't that secret of a process.

BEAR
January 28th, 2021, 11:41 AM
It would've come out but now. Honestly, this wasn't that secret of a process.

xlolx
Exactly what I was thinking.... xlolx

Baron Sardonicus
January 28th, 2021, 12:25 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Esz52xOWMAEu89B?format=jpg&name=large[/QUOTE]

Great find! This is the oldest map of FCS schools I've ever seen. It clearly shows San Diego, and its date places it sometime early in Dale Lindsey's career.

Baron Sardonicus
January 28th, 2021, 12:48 PM
That's not even close to where Richmond is located...lol.

I think someone mistakenly searched for Morehead.

EKU05
January 28th, 2021, 12:54 PM
I think someone mistakenly searched for Morehead.

It's a little far south for that as best I can tell. Morehead is up a little closer to the West Virginia border. For years Morehead and Marshall had an annual home-and-home basketball rivalry because they aren't all that far apart.

Daytripper
January 28th, 2021, 12:58 PM

Just like with the WAC announcement, you will probably get those that were heavily rumored. They are not going to comment on anybody who isn't completely on board and committed. It doesn't meant there aren't any other programs in the mix.

JoshUCA
January 28th, 2021, 03:16 PM
https://ucasports.com/news/2021/1/28/general-special-announcement-coming-at-10-am-friday.aspx

Finally something up on the UCA page.

TexasTerror
January 29th, 2021, 10:02 AM
A quick teaser that they aired

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44-Vd1Lwli0

Laker
January 29th, 2021, 10:24 AM
It is official- EKU, JSU and UCA are officially all sports members of the ASUN.

​​​​​​​https://www.timesdaily.com/asun-conference-officially-adds-three-new-members/article_25c99b0e-624a-11eb-a4d5-7f85051c902b.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

JoshUCA
January 29th, 2021, 10:31 AM
No mention of the WAC aspect as of now..

BEAR
January 29th, 2021, 10:37 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Es6Xii6W8AAMBd8?format=jpg&name=small

During the announcement it said that the ASUN would have an autobid to the fcs playoffs if I read that right. I'm sure if it's so then it's only for one year. Gotta get that sixth!

BEAR
January 29th, 2021, 10:45 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Es6ScvUW4AEu9Hu?format=jpg&name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Es6WObAW4AEZXI6?format=jpg&name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Es6WvpbW8AQGezx?format=jpg&name=small

JoshUCA
January 29th, 2021, 11:16 AM
https://twitter.com/CraigHaley/status/1355198005746479104

#FCS (https://twitter.com/hashtag/FCS?src=hashtag_click): The affiliations for ASUN/Big South/WAC teams will be determined before an ASUN news conference scheduled for Feb. 23 at the College Football Hall of Fame in Atlanta.
"The final alignment will be based on scheduling, but all five schools will be recognized as ASUN football schools regardless of who they’re affiliated with for an AQ (automatic qualifying bid to FCS playoffs).”

JoshUCA
January 29th, 2021, 11:21 AM

JoshUCA
January 29th, 2021, 01:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbR9eLGNDRg&feature=emb_title
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20210129131613318285504&ref=rec&tm=&src=FCS

kdinva
January 29th, 2021, 03:17 PM
I wish this football "conference" started in 2022, so there won't be any quick exit headaches, regarding scheduling, like Hampton U had recently.

JoshUCA
February 15th, 2021, 05:56 PM
https://twitter.com/ASUNCommish/status/1361449132871864322