PDA

View Full Version : Not what I expected for my 50th Lehigh-Lafayette Rivalry Game

ngineer
November 17th, 2020, 09:48 PM
I have missed only one game in The Rivalry since I attended my first in 1970 (as freshmen couldn't play or even suit up with the varsity back then) and, that one I did 'attend' watching closed circuit from Lee Iacocca's country club in Bloomfield Hills, MI in 1976, as he hosted alums from both schools living in the MI area. So I was all revved up this year looking forward to my induction at the annual Beat Lafayette Luncheon the Friday before the Game. Needless to say, COVID-19 had other ideas. However, Lehigh is still moving forward with Rivalry 155.5 this coming Saturday, with a replay of the championship winning game over the Leotards in 2017. As a means of raising money for the athletic department with the costs associated with COVID testing, an effort has been initiated this week to sell-out Goodman Stadium (permanent seating 16,000) for "the game". Virtual tailgates are being hosted by various Lehigh coaches, as well as alumni happy hours with stars of L-L Games past being speakers. Those of us who were looking forward to our 50th Game will be recognized for 'attending' our 50th, but it certainly does feel as I anticipated. Hopefully, we will be able to attend a real game on April 17, 2021, which is tentatively scheduled under the latest planning announced by the Patriot League, to be held at Laughyette's Fisher Field. Won't be the same, but hopefully everyone remains healthy. Stay safe everyone.

Pards Rule
November 18th, 2020, 12:32 PM
Ngineer, ah why dont you folks watch the 1995 game instead - 25 years ago today with The Catch. I watched an 8 minute clip on Youtube about it and forgot various things: like that Klingermans catch in 2OT wasnt final play as Lafayette got a final series (and failed), the fumbled punt with little over 4 minutes to go by Lafayette which led to tying TD and 2 pointer and the fact it was a 16 point margin for LC with 11:30 left (I always though that was held until late 3rd). Also LC kicker missing a PAT for what would have been 24th point and the win with 31 if you folks had got your 2 TDs and two 2 pointers. LFN can you do your recap of that game from archives? And Im missing my 41st. But note, tomorrow will mark the 15th anniversary of The Hurt - Lafayettes last minute TD to Jonathan Hurt for the win in 2005!

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2020, 12:50 PM
PR, I cleaned the inbox

Pards Rule
November 18th, 2020, 02:45 PM
OK thanks. Thank you for your vote!

RichH2
November 19th, 2020, 12:51 PM
For a number of reasons, my W has decided that 4/17 will also be our Thanksgiving and Christmas this year.
For those forging ahead with Thanksgiving next week , please be safe. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

ngineer
November 19th, 2020, 08:17 PM
Ngineer, ah why dont you folks watch the 1995 game instead - 25 years ago today with The Catch. I watched an 8 minute clip on Youtube about it and forgot various things: like that Klingermans catch in 2OT wasnt final play as Lafayette got a final series (and failed), the fumbled punt with little over 4 minutes to go by Lafayette which led to tying TD and 2 pointer and the fact it was a 16 point margin for LC with 11:30 left (I always though that was held until late 3rd). Also LC kicker missing a PAT for what would have been 24th point and the win with 31 if you folks had got your 2 TDs and two 2 pointers. LFN can you do your recap of that game from archives? And Im missing my 41st. But note, tomorrow will mark the 15th anniversary of The Hurt - Lafayettes last minute TD to Jonathan Hurt for the win in 2005!
I agree the Klingerman Katch game was the most dramatic win (a bit more than "the Big Hurt") due to the various things you pointed out, plus the fact it occurred in the 'gloamin'". The Alumni office has chosen to show all 12 'big' games in the years we won the PL title, chronologically. One can watch 'em all on the LehighSports website. I was certainly present for the 'Big Hurt' as well, and remember Frankasaurus being talked out of trying for the long field goal, and was screaming like hell at the ref for not calling the virtual tackle of our DE bearing down on the QB. (;-).
Although not the same, I hope we meet on 4/17--even if there is no season. Let the guys practice for three weeks and play the game.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 20th, 2020, 09:13 PM
The Lehigh-Lafayette game has been a HUGE part of my life since the mid to late 80's. It's extremely weird, and sad, that it's the Friday night before Thanksgiving and that feeling of anticipation for "tomorrow" isn't there.

The most memorable game for me is probably the 1998 game because it capped an 11-0 season on the Leopards homefield. The chants of "undefeated" and "we're #1" on the Lafayette side will stay will with me forever. As will the South Side Booster breakfast that morning and the bus ride back to Lehigh after the game. Likewise, the look the Pard fan's faces following the goal line stand and Ron Jean's ensuing 90+ yard TD run. From start to finish that whole season was just a magic carpet ride.

The 1991 contest will always stick with me too. From an excellent Lehigh team and the huge crowd to the riot afterwards that game had it all. For better or worse, it really changed the way both schools handled the entire week/game for several years. The next field storming I remember happening was in 2002 when Lafayette ended their 7 year losing streak.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 21st, 2020, 10:27 AM
Here's the complete 1987 game! AKA "The Frigid Taylor Stadium Finale"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5WCIGe38Ig&fbclid=IwAR3UY4wb-jgJm-QDKTn_zeC5phN9-FZxRZwlHcLSr-4V6dtdmqWk9BKoeZc

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 21st, 2020, 10:28 AM
The 1998 game! Lehigh caps their first ever 11-0 regular season...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVkOM3uR31g&t=11227s

Pards Rule
November 21st, 2020, 11:57 AM
Owl, please the Big Hurt! I cant find it on the web?!

- - - Updated - - -

Pards Rule
November 21st, 2020, 11:59 AM
And its sooo weird. I woud be at a 60 degree perfect game day in Easton PA today - game would be a half hour old by now...So, there is an April 17th game I deduce?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 21st, 2020, 12:26 PM

- - - Updated - - -

I couldn't find anything on youtube. I'm shocked Lafayette athletics doesn't have a video highlight of that play at least.

Ivytalk
November 21st, 2020, 01:56 PM
This would have been Harvard-Yale week as well. My class put on a Zoom panel discussion about Harvard’s 1975 win over Yale that gave the Crimson their first outright Ivy title in the modern era.

Pards Rule
November 23rd, 2020, 07:56 AM
I couldn't find anything on youtube. I'm shocked Lafayette athletics doesn't have a video highlight of that play at least.

Agreed!!! WTF!!! Its only 15 years ago!

Pards Rule
November 23rd, 2020, 08:02 AM
And a year ago today, Lafayette's Jeff Kordenbrock kicks a 29 yarder with 43 seconds left to win, 17-16! Jeff gets MVP, first kicker to get MVP since Rich Nowell in 1970!