PDA

View Full Version : Ivy League: No Spring Football

DFW HOYA
November 12th, 2020, 05:55 PM
And no basketball, either.

https://ivyleague.com/news/2020/11/12/general-ivy-league-outlines-intercollegiate-athletics-plans-no-competition-for-winter-sports.aspx

bonarae
November 12th, 2020, 06:33 PM
In other words, no more sports for the Ivies this school year at all.

Maybe we Ivy fans need to look south and west. xdontknowx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ngineer
November 12th, 2020, 07:43 PM
So much for for an OOC game early March with Penn or Princeton. Maybe Delaware or Monmouth...

bonarae
November 12th, 2020, 07:44 PM
So much for for an OOC game early March with Penn or Princeton. Maybe Delaware or Monmouth...More regional but doable. Big South has the most flexible OOC arrangement of all FCS spring schedules...

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

bulldog10jw
November 12th, 2020, 08:09 PM
Depressing

Mocs123
November 13th, 2020, 05:33 AM
How long before the Patriot League follows suit?

Go Green
November 13th, 2020, 06:04 AM
I'll expect by mid-morning the usual idiot hand-wringing Chicken Littles posting on the Ivy Board that the Ivy presidents will use the pandemic as an excuse to end football permanently.

*sigh*

Ivytalk
November 13th, 2020, 07:25 AM
Depressing
I agree.

Today is the deadline for my 45th reunion report. For the first time, I’m skipping my 5-year class update. Not because of sports, either. Maybe I’ll do the 50th. That’s a bigger deal, anyway.

Ivytalk
November 13th, 2020, 07:56 AM
This decision will probably hurt Ivy FB recruiting for a few years.

Go Green
November 13th, 2020, 09:03 AM
This decision will probably hurt Ivy FB recruiting for a few years.

It's still early, but Dartmouth's football recruiting is noticeably down this cycle.

The past 10 years, Dartmouth has gotten some 12-15 guys who also had offers from FBS schools (be it SEC schools or the military academies). It's showed on the field. Harvard, Yale, and Princeton almost always get 15-20 such guys, but hey- you can only play 11 at a time. So Dartmouth has been able to do just fine against HYP. Heck, more than fine against Y&P.

This cycle, Dartmouth has 13 commits. I think only two have had FBS offers. For most of the other guys, Dartmouth was their best offer. And worse yet- Penn and Columbia are getting guys that Dartmouth offered and probably would have gotten in years past.

Just a theory for me, but it's possible that recruiting through Zoom and/or visiting a socially-distant Hanover just isn't the same as the normal sales pitch from our coaches. Hanover in the Fall on a vibrant Dartmouth campus can really be an awesome place. But this year, the high school hotshots just aren't seeing it...

We will see how the rest of the recruiting goes. But Dartmouth isn't going to beat Army in 2024 with a bunch of guys whose other offers were from PFL schools.... :(

Baron Sardonicus
November 13th, 2020, 10:06 AM
Dartmouth isn't going to beat Army in 2024 with a bunch of guys whose other offers were from PFL schools.... :(

HEY! Don't disrespect the pizza parlor (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuM4VQ3fD5U).

Sader87
November 13th, 2020, 05:51 PM
If past is prologue, no Ivy football this Spring could very easily mean no Patriot League football either.

I'm not entirely sold it's a very good idea to begin with...just suck it up and start anew in Septembah.

DFW HOYA
November 13th, 2020, 06:08 PM
If past is prologue, no Ivy football this Spring could very easily mean no Patriot League football either.

Honest question: why does the Patriot league remain so subservient to the Ivy League? It's not 1986 anymore. Show some independent thinking now and then.

bonarae
November 13th, 2020, 06:38 PM
Honest question: why does the Patriot league remain so subservient to the Ivy League? It's not 1986 anymore. Show some independent thinking now and then.Like playoff participation for one. xnodx

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

caribbeanhen
November 13th, 2020, 06:43 PM
I'll expect by mid-morning the usual idiot hand-wringing Chicken Littles posting on the Ivy Board that the Ivy presidents will use the pandemic as an excuse to end football permanently.

*sigh*

don't say that, you were just getting good

dgtw
November 14th, 2020, 09:37 AM
Cornell usually has a strong wrestling program. Hate it for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ivytalk
November 14th, 2020, 10:50 AM

Hard times indeed for Motel 6 U.

unknown3
November 15th, 2020, 06:01 AM
Considering what covid is looking like right now and it's not even cold yet... pretty sure plenty more will be making this decision. Biden may put the clamps on it all anyways.

ngineer
November 15th, 2020, 06:17 PM

Yes, SUNY Ithaca was supposed to have a strong team this year with some 'grey shirts' returning. They, along with Penn, Princeton, Harvard and Columbia are also members of the EIWA for wrestling and qualifying to the NCAA. I figure if the IL is not allowing sports, this will apply to this as well.