PDA

View Full Version : Joe Flacco Passes Joe Montana for Career Passing Yards

Go Green
November 11th, 2020, 07:11 AM
Congrats to the former Delaware star.

https://sports.yahoo.com/joe-flacco-passes-joe-montana-on-alltime-passing-yardage-list-yes-really-022847386.html

Daytripper
November 11th, 2020, 02:15 PM
Montana is a top 5 QB of all time. This statistical anomaly means nothing.

Go Green
November 11th, 2020, 04:05 PM
Montana is a top 5 QB of all time. This statistical anomaly means nothing.

Still, it's fun to see a I-AA/FCS guy overtake a legend in the stats in a positive way. :)

While I'm not saying that Flacco is a Hall of Famer, he probably does deserve more credit than he gets. He's had a very fine career and justifiably earned a Super Bowl ring.

Daytripper
November 11th, 2020, 04:55 PM
Still, it's fun to see a I-AA/FCS guy overtake a legend in the stats in a positive way. :)

While I'm not saying that Flacco is a Hall of Famer, he probably does deserve more credit than he gets. He's had a very fine career and justifiably earned a Super Bowl ring.

Fair enough. Flacco has been a good NFL quarterback. I think he just had a little bit of luck go his way to be on a team with one of the great defenses of all time. He did have a really nice playoff run that Super Bowl season. But he has regressed ever since.

DFW HOYA
November 11th, 2020, 05:21 PM
Joe Flacco is in the Hall of Very Good, alongside such career passing numbers of Matt Ryan (53,932, ahead of John Elway), Drew Bledsoe (44,611 ahead of Dan Fouts) and Tony Romo (34,183, ahead of Troy Aikman).

caribbeanhen
November 11th, 2020, 06:08 PM
Thank God he wasn’t good enough to start at Pitt ...what a joke

Tyler Pallko

OhioHen
November 12th, 2020, 06:24 AM
Flacco > Montana is a great example of how the game has changed. Flacco has been a good quarterback in his era. Montana was arguably the gold standard of his era.

Just an extreme example to go with the Ryan-Elway, Bledsoe-Fouts, and Romo-Aikman examples given by DFW HOYA.

Hell, if Andy Dalton can get healthy enough to play 3-4 more games this year, HE'LL exceed Aikman in passing yards.

Henny
November 12th, 2020, 09:08 AM
Joe has also been good to UD! The brand new 10,000 sq ft strength and conditioning area in the Whitney Athletic Center is in his family's name.

It's a beautiful facility!

Go Green
November 12th, 2020, 09:27 AM
Flacco > Montana is a great example of how the game has changed. Flacco has been a good quarterback in his era. Montana was arguably the gold standard of his era.

Just an extreme example to go with the Ryan-Elway, Bledsoe-Fouts, and Romo-Aikman examples given by DFW HOYA.

Hell, if Andy Dalton can get healthy enough to play 3-4 more games this year, HE'LL exceed Aikman in passing yards.

A writer attempts to make sense of all this...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/the-real-nfl-passing-yardage-leaderboards-173905994.html

POD Knows
November 12th, 2020, 09:39 AM
A writer attempts to make sense of all this...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/the-real-nfl-passing-yardage-leaderboards-173905994.htmlThis is interesting, I saw a similar thing like this with the home run record in baseball. It was even more drastic given the gap between Ruth and his contemporaries at the time.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 12th, 2020, 12:23 PM

Montana's career is similar to Jordan's in terms of stats due to off and on careers. Montana battled injuries for a large portion of his career ('86, '88, '91-'92 etc.) so he was never able to amass great stats to match his legendary stature. Had Jordan not left for baseball and played straight through until he turned 39-40 his stats would much greater historically; near Kareem/LeBron/Malone.

Montana's career has fascinated me as time has gone on. I remember his last 2-3 great years in SF and his solid KC run but at the time never understood (too young) the context surrounding he, Young and Walsh. Bill, imo, wanted Young after the '87 playoff debacle against the Vikings and more so after the up and down '88 (he benched Montana in favor of Young) season. I think the growing QB controversy is why he decided to walk away from the 49ers. Had the 49ers not got gone on to win the 1988 title it would have been interesting to see what would have happened in 1989 under Seifert. As it played out, Montana had his greatest year in 1989 and the team as whole is the best of my watching lifetime.

NY Crusader 2010
November 12th, 2020, 02:00 PM
Comparing most stats between different eras in just about every sport is always a degree of "apples to oranges".

Injuries or no injuries, Montana would throw for way more yards / season today because of how wide open the passing game is now. Officiating benefits the offense, particularly those that throw the ball often.

One thing that's interesting is that the single game NFL passing yards record has stood since the 1970's. Norm Van Brocklin of the LA Rams still holds the record at 554. There have been a handful of 500yd games but no one that I recall has gotten that close. Tom Brady finished the Super Bowl against the Eagles with 505 passing yards. On the last play of the game, Pats had ball at 50yd line and a Hail Mary was thrown. Had Gronk come down with the ball, it would have cemented the most dramatic ending to a major sports championship in history -- AND it would have given Brady the single game passing record by 1 yard.

Daytripper
November 12th, 2020, 03:54 PM
Comparing most stats between different eras in just about every sport is always a degree of "apples to oranges".

Injuries or no injuries, Montana would throw for way more yards / season today because of how wide open the passing game is now. Officiating benefits the offense, particularly those that throw the ball often.

One thing that's interesting is that the single game NFL passing yards record has stood since the 1970's. Norm Van Brocklin of the LA Rams still holds the record at 554. There have been a handful of 500yd games but no one that I recall has gotten that close. Tom Brady finished the Super Bowl against the Eagles with 505 passing yards. On the last play of the game, Pats had ball at 50yd line and a Hail Mary was thrown. Had Gronk come down with the ball, it would have cemented the most dramatic ending to a major sports championship in history -- AND it would have given Brady the single game passing record by 1 yard.

With the limitations placed on todays defensive backs, Jerry Rice would average 2000 yards and 18 touchdowns per season for his career if he played today.

Houndawg
December 4th, 2020, 07:55 AM
Congrats to the former Delaware star.

https://sports.yahoo.com/joe-flacco-passes-joe-montana-on-alltime-passing-yardage-list-yes-really-022847386.html

Congrats to Flacco but its a different game now. If you have a long way to go and a short time to get there Joe Montana is the guy you want.

Houndawg
December 4th, 2020, 08:12 AM
Montana's career is similar to Jordan's in terms of stats due to off and on careers. Montana battled injuries for a large portion of his career ('86, '88, '91-'92 etc.) so he was never able to amass great stats to match his legendary stature. Had Jordan not left for baseball and played straight through until he turned 39-40 his stats would much greater historically; near Kareem/LeBron/Malone.

Montana's career has fascinated me as time has gone on. I remember his last 2-3 great years in SF and his solid KC run but at the time never understood (too young) the context surrounding he, Young and Walsh. Bill, imo, wanted Young after the '87 playoff debacle against the Vikings and more so after the up and down '88 (he benched Montana in favor of Young) season. I think the growing QB controversy is why he decided to walk away from the 49ers. Had the 49ers not got gone on to win the 1988 title it would have been interesting to see what would have happened in 1989 under Seifert. As it played out, Montana had his greatest year in 1989 and the team as whole is the best of my watching lifetime.

A good friend and high school teammate of mine was an LB for the 9ers '78-'84 and has two SB rings from his time there. He says Montana played PacMan with the same intensity as the Super Bowl and that one of the o linemen told him that when the pressure was on during a drive Joe would do **** like get in the huddle a say something like "check out down Jack Nicholoson down low by the 40 yard line" before calling the play.