PDA

View Full Version : Whipple OK with sabbatical

saint0917
June 27th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Mark Whipple is 50 and out of work, but he sure doesn't sound like a man in a mid-life crisis.

"If I didn't have a year left on my Steelers contract, I'd be working, but I'm taking a sabbatical and getting paid for it," said Whipple, the former University of Massachusetts football coach who was let go as Pittsburgh's quarterbacks coach in January.

New Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin wanted his own staff, one that included Ken Anderson, the former quarterback for the Cincinnati Bengals.

Whipple OK with sabbatical (http://www.masslive.com/sports/republican/index.ssf?/base/sports-2/118293343482490.xml&coll=1)

Go...gate
June 27th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Whipple was a very good QB at Brown and a very good coach at UMass, notwithstanding some of his complaining about playoff pairings in 2003. I am sure he will be working again in due course.

Cobblestone
June 27th, 2007, 07:03 PM
If he wants the URI job, as far as I am concerned he can have it.

Col Hogan
June 27th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Whipple was a very good QB at Brown and a very good coach at UMass, notwithstanding some of his complaining about playoff pairings in 2003. I am sure he will be working again in due course.

Complaining...we never complained about that "incident"...xlolx :p xrolleyesx

Cobblestone
June 28th, 2007, 07:14 AM
sorry to say it , Stowers has overstayed his welcome.

ya think? xrolleyesx

Tilldog40
June 28th, 2007, 12:53 PM
I think if he coaches college, it will be at the 1a level.

Cobblestone
June 28th, 2007, 02:19 PM
I think if he coaches college, it will be at the 1a level.

Agree. He came close to landing the BC job.

GannonFan
June 28th, 2007, 02:48 PM
You have to think though, if he didn't get the BC job, which pretty close geographically to both New Haven, Brown (he did coach there, right?), and UMass, all places where he excelled, how likely is he to get a job anywhere close to the same level? UConn maybe? Outside of that, I could see him as a candidate for a lower IA (FBS) job but that would be something like the Sun Belt. As much as he probably enjoys the paycheck, taking a year off will just have him one more year removed from coaching. I like Whipple (well, outside of the moaning and belly-aching, but he's a great coach) I just wonder where he will end up. He may have to do an FCS stint again just to get back in the groove.