PDA

View Full Version : WAC invites some Southland Schools....... Will they leave ?

Professor
October 23rd, 2020, 10:31 AM
Extra Points (https://extrapoints.substack.com/p/umass-responds-wac-updates-uc-riversides) also reported something similar, writing, multiple industry sources have told me that the WAC is targeting multiple football-playing schools in Texas from the Southland Conference as potential additional members.”

Stephen F. Austin
Lamar
Sam Houston State
Abilene Christian

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the Link

https://footballscoop.com/news/return-of-the-wac-maybe/

katss07
October 23rd, 2020, 11:08 AM
This is just a rumor for now... a few sources within SFA have confirmed they've not received an invite. At least not yet. Regardless, I don't think anyone leaves. Travel expenses would skyrocket and assuming the conference is made up of Big Sky outcasts and D2 transitional schools, the football would be a drop off. Our conference is finally gaining some steam at the FCS level, so it would make little sense to bolt right now imo. Maybe ACU? I don't know, even that seems like a stretch. I believe all four are best suited to stay in the Southland.

edit: basketball is a different story, if SFA was really desperate to improve their basketball conference standing, I could see them considering this.

Raven Maniac
October 23rd, 2020, 12:19 PM
The WAC is forming another FCS conference. Why would some of these SLC schools want to significantly increase their travel budgets to make a lateral move?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baron Sardonicus
October 23rd, 2020, 01:08 PM
Some schools would need to reclassify up or down to make this happen, but the ideal start for WAC football (FCS) would be:

NM State
UTEP
West Texas A&M
Tarleton State
Dixie State
SUU

...then the WAC should take Chicago State back to the pound, leaving the conference with 12 members overall.

Daytripper
October 23rd, 2020, 01:27 PM
A reporter for the local Huntsville paper says SHSU has denied an official invite was sent....but they state they are the proverbial "always open" to improving the program. https://www.itemonline.com/sports/source-shsu-hasn-t-received-invitation-to-join-wac/article_95515eb2-1551-11eb-82c1-1b06a6e8d2f2.html

Daytripper
October 23rd, 2020, 01:30 PM
The WAC is forming another FCS conference. Why would some of these SLC schools want to significantly increase their travel budgets to make a lateral move?

I don't think the WAC would do this unless they are planning to be FBS. Also, with enough teams, there could be a Texas division (maybe with NMSU) which would limit travel for most conference games to the state of Texas.

Puddin Tane
October 23rd, 2020, 01:34 PM
I think it would be a yuuuge mistake.

Raven Maniac
October 23rd, 2020, 01:34 PM
The official statement from the WAC states an FCS conference. Also several schools being courted are DII which will make any move to FBS daunting because of TV contracts. Who would watch kind of thing.

Raven Maniac
October 23rd, 2020, 01:45 PM
This is just a rumor for now... a few sources within SFA have confirmed they've not received an invite. At least not yet. Regardless, I don't think anyone leaves. Travel expenses would skyrocket and assuming the conference is made up of Big Sky outcasts and D2 transitional schools, the football would be a drop off. Our conference is finally gaining some steam at the FCS level, so it would make little sense to bolt right now imo. Maybe ACU? I don't know, even that seems like a stretch. I believe all four are best suited to stay in the Southland.

edit: basketball is a different story, if SFA was really desperate to improve their basketball conference standing, I could see them considering this.

Best answer

Outsider1
October 23rd, 2020, 03:17 PM
I think a lot of it would depend on what happens with the SLC over-all. If changes happen that could shift momentum it might change minds, but for now I think most of us in the SLC feel a move to the WAC isn't a good one. Basketball could be inviting for some, but it alone wouldn't be worth if it if other things don't line up. Most of those things we have already brought up.

Katfan
October 24th, 2020, 10:29 AM
I think it would be a yuuuge mistake.
Agree!

NY Crusader 2010
October 29th, 2020, 01:48 PM
SHSU should view a WAC invite the same way James Madison would view an invite to the Northeast Conference.

Raven Maniac
October 29th, 2020, 01:49 PM
SHSU should view a WAC invite the same way James Madison would view an invite to the Northeast Conference.

Best reply

Herder
October 30th, 2020, 10:42 AM
Did someone suggest an FBS conference, with Dixie and Tarlton on the list. Are you kidding? Just idiotic

I have no idea why NM State would want to be associated with the worst FCS conference. No way they will go FCS if its in the WAC with a bunch of startups. It will be a very poor league, that you can be assured of they can find enough teams.