PDA

View Full Version : Which NEC Schools Are Bowl Counters?

DFW HOYA
October 17th, 2020, 03:50 PM
Discussed in the past, but never defined, is that some NEC schools, by virtue of scholarships plus institutional aid, are eligible as counters for FBS bowl criteria (Wagner, for one). Who are the others and who specifically does not count?

NY Crusader 2010
October 17th, 2020, 04:57 PM
Just off the top of my head, the below schools have all played an FBS team in the last 5 years or so:

Wagner
CCSU
Duquesne
Bob Morris

Can't remember for sure but I feel like Bryant did as well.

Anthony215
October 19th, 2020, 07:38 AM
Just off the top of my head, the below schools have all played an FBS team in the last 5 years or so:

Wagner
CCSU
Duquesne
Bob Morris

Can't remember for sure but I feel like Bryant did as well.

I'm pretty sure Bryant isn't a counter as they're not that far removed from D2 status. I envision LIU being a couple years away from being a Bowl Counter.

UAalum72
October 19th, 2020, 08:36 AM
Bryant began transitioning in 2008. They were scheduled at Central Michigan for 2020.

Anthony215
October 19th, 2020, 12:06 PM
Bryant began transitioning in 2008. They were scheduled at Central Michigan for 2020.

I stand corrected I'm thinking of Merrimack, they both were in the NE-10 while in D2 but you're right Bryant has long been gone. Merrimack is in year 2-3 of their FCS existence.

aceinthehole
October 20th, 2020, 07:52 AM
Every NEC team, with the exception of Sacred Heart, has played or scheduled a FBS team. I'm quite certain everyone is a bowl counter (or will be when the FBS game is played - see LIU and Merrimack).

https://fbschedules.com/nec-football-schedule/

NY Crusader 2010
October 20th, 2020, 09:12 PM
Every NEC team, with the exception of Sacred Heart, has played or scheduled a FBS team. I'm quite certain everyone is a bowl counter (or will be when the FBS game is played - see LIU and Merrimack).

https://fbschedules.com/nec-football-schedule/

Great link. I see St. Francis (PA) has a couple MAC teams on upcoming schedules. Don't recall them playing an FBS in the past --great to see them scheduling those games.

Why don't you think SHU has tried to schedule any guarantee games yet?

Anthony215
October 21st, 2020, 08:51 AM
Great link. I see St. Francis (PA) has a couple MAC teams on upcoming schedules. Don't recall them playing an FBS in the past --great to see them scheduling those games.

Why don't you think SHU has tried to schedule any guarantee games yet?

I would think it's probably because of their scholarship #'s. Other than that with the rest of the conference members taking guarantee games it wouldn't make sense for them to be the lone school not to take it. That would be a argument for opposing coaches to use to sway recruits their way, we play FBS schools with more scouts in attendance and SHU doesn't.

Libertine
October 21st, 2020, 10:55 AM
That would be a argument for opposing coaches to use to sway recruits their way, we play FBS schools with more scouts in attendance and SHU doesn't.

I'm curious, how much do NEC schools really recruit against each other? I'm not being snarky, I'd actually like to know.

Anthony215
October 21st, 2020, 12:54 PM
I'm curious, how much do NEC schools really recruit against each other? I'm not being snarky, I'd actually like to know.

I'd imagine they recruit heavily against one another as most of their caliber recruits are borderline D1 players. The PA schools (Duquesne, RMU, SFU) all compete with D2 IUP, Cal, Slippery Rock for recruits and surprisingly many times the PA D2 schools win out with the likelihood of making the NCAA playoffs greater at those schools than the PA NEC schools. I will admit that since the NEC increased scholarship totals they've started gaining traction on persuading more WPIAL and Philly area recruits to come to their schools rather than the in state D2 school.s

aceinthehole
October 21st, 2020, 08:33 PM
I'd imagine they recruit heavily against one another as most of their caliber recruits are borderline D1 players. The PA schools (Duquesne, RMU, SFU) all compete with D2 IUP, Cal, Slippery Rock for recruits and surprisingly many times the PA D2 schools win out with the likelihood of making the NCAA playoffs greater at those schools than the PA NEC schools. I will admit that since the NEC increased scholarship totals they've started gaining traction on persuading more WPIAL and Philly area recruits to come to their schools rather than the in state D2 school.s

Not exactly. Certainly some NEC recruits are also getting interest from D-II schools in the PSAC and NE-10, but it is not accurate to suggest that is the majority of the competition. Most NEC recruits also have some level of interest or offers from CAA, PL, Ivy, and the lower-tier FBS programs. We are clearly competing and recruiting players vs. D-I FCS programs.

I've seen dozens of CCSU signees have interest/offers from schools like Albany, Lehigh, Monmouth, URI, Army, UConn, etc. And of course, the NEC schools are heavily recruiting against each other.

Anthony215
October 22nd, 2020, 07:15 AM
Not exactly. Certainly some NEC recruits are also getting interest from D-II schools in the PSAC and NE-10, but it is not accurate to suggest that is the majority of the competition. Most NEC recruits also have some level of interest or offers from CAA, PL, Ivy, and the lower-tier FBS programs. We are clearly competing and recruiting players vs. D-I FCS programs.

I've seen dozens of CCSU signees have interest/offers from schools like Albany, Lehigh, Monmouth, URI, Army, UConn, etc. And of course, the NEC schools are heavily recruiting against each other.

I apologize I didn't explain in detail. I can only speak for the 3 PA schools who recruit the WPIAL in PA they generally recruit against the PSAC schools for WPIAL kids who didn't get the FBS offers and weigh between Duquesne, RMU & Sacred Heart along with the top PSAC schools who offer 20-30 scholarships (Cal, Rock, IUP) but those schools also attract kids from Ohio, California, Florida and Texas.

wapiti
October 22nd, 2020, 10:50 AM
What bowl is going to invite a NEC team????? That is laughable.

They would have to start their own bowl game. Maybe they could get the "My Pillow" company to sponsor it.
It could be called the Pillow bowl, get the "best rest of your football game watching experience ever".

:Dxdrunkyx

DFW HOYA
October 22nd, 2020, 11:34 AM
What bowl is going to invite a NEC team????? That is laughable.

This is referring to FCS teams to whom an FBS team may count them for the purposes of bowl eligibility.

At present, that list is apparently everyone in the playoff FCS conferences except Sacred Heart and Merrimack in the NEC and Georgetown in the Patriot. Any others?

Steve81
February 14th, 2021, 01:56 PM
Did not want to start a thread and this would be the most knowledgeable fan base. Why hasn't America East ever add football. They have 4 teams playing in the CAA. Sure URI would give them a look as they were going here until the CAA brought in Albany and Stony Brook.

Believe a long time ago a CCSU poster posted about this in the far removed past. Did not happen then and not today, but wondering with the COVID strain on athletic budgets that a more regional conference as the NEC or America East now would have more interest.

UAalum72
February 14th, 2021, 04:37 PM
Did not want to start a thread and this would be the most knowledgeable fan base. Why hasn't America East ever add football. They have 4 teams playing in the CAA. Sure URI would give them a look as they were going here until the CAA brought in Albany and Stony Brook.

Believe a long time ago a CCSU poster posted about this in the far removed past. Did not happen then and not today, but wondering with the COVID strain on athletic budgets that a more regional conference as the NEC or America East now would have more interest.Aside from the difficulty of starting a new conference of teams that haven't played together, since 2002 Northeastern left the conference (before dropping football) and AE has added three non-football schools, so there are only four out of ten. I heard long ago that New Hampshire and possibly others didn't want to leave the CAA for what would be a weaker league. A new league with probably fewer than nine members would need more traveling to out-of-conference games, so who knows how much travel you'd save anyway.

Steve81
February 14th, 2021, 05:45 PM
Thanks and did see a few years ago UNH stadium improvements, which looked very nice.
googled this

NOTABLE. If you think the NEC is a scholarship-less conference, think again. A school can scholarship up to 45 players, up from 30 in 2006. But a school can come up with need-based equivalencies and kick that number up another 10 to 15 scholarships, like Wagner has done (59).

The CAA has 63 scholarship limit so in theory the NEC actually carry about 10% less or mid to high 50's or is Wagner unique and generally closer to 20% or even 30% less than fcs max.?

DFW HOYA
February 14th, 2021, 07:34 PM
The CAA has 63 scholarship limit so in theory the NEC actually carry about 10% less or mid to high 50's or is Wagner unique and generally closer to 20% or even 30% less than fcs max.?

Given the number of I-A schools scheduling NEC teams, it's safe to assume that all but one NEC school are running at a combination of scholarships and aid to get to the 56.7 minimum by the NCAA to count for bowl-eligible opponents. Future schedules have the following NEC-FBS matchups:

Bryant: Akron (2021)
CCSU: Miami (2021), UConn (2022,27)
Duquesne: TCU (2021), Ohio (2021), Youngstown St. (2022, 24, 26), Hawaii (2022), West Virginia (2023)
LIU: FIU (2021), West Virginia (2022), Miami OH (2022), Toledo (2022), Ohio (2023)
Merrimack: UMass (2023)
Sacred Heart: None--I think they are playing under 56.7
Saint Francis: Eastern Michigan (2021), Akron (2022), Buffalo (2025)
Wagner: Buffalo (2021), Temple (2021), Syracuse (2022), Toledo (2023), UMass (2024)

Steve81
February 14th, 2021, 07:40 PM
Thanks DFW HOYA, you made it sound so simple. :)

aceinthehole
February 15th, 2021, 07:59 PM
Given the number of I-A schools scheduling NEC teams, it's safe to assume that all but one NEC school are running at a combination of scholarships and aid to get to the 56.7 minimum by the NCAA to count for bowl-eligible opponents.

That is correct. NEC rules allow up to 45 athletic scholarships and 18 grants-in-aid for football.