PDA

View Full Version : COVID-19 has finally hit the FCS

bonarae
October 16th, 2020, 04:04 AM
At a penultimate time... xoopsx

Jacksonville State HC John Grass has tested positive.

https://www.rocketcitynow.com/article/sports/college/john-grass-tests-positive-for-covid-19/525-d253d78d-5ebc-435f-973c-859862efabef

unknown3
October 16th, 2020, 07:18 AM
Its been hit fcs. People just aren't reporting it.

dgtw
October 16th, 2020, 07:35 AM
Offensive Coordinator Jimmy Ogle will coach the team against UNA. According to NCAA rules, Grass can’t coach from his house.

Florida International has postponed their game against Charlotte scheduled for Saturday. Jax State is scheduled to play FIU next Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Green
October 16th, 2020, 07:40 AM
According to NCAA rules, Grass can’t coach from his house.

Why not?

I know in the past some suspended coaches/managers tried to get around the suspension by coaching/managing the game remotely. If that's the purpose of the NCAA rule, it should be waived for COVID cases...

katss07
October 16th, 2020, 07:50 AM
Colby Carthel of SFA also tested positive this week. His father, Don Carthel, will take the interim head coach position this week against Angelo State.

Gil Dobie
October 16th, 2020, 08:59 AM
There was a report in late July that 13 Bison athletes had Covid.

dgtw
October 16th, 2020, 09:09 AM
Why not?

I know in the past some suspended coaches/managers tried to get around the suspension by coaching/managing the game remotely. If that's the purpose of the NCAA rule, it should be waived for COVID cases...

I don’t know the reason. I learned this in relation to Nick Saban being out Saturday. He isn’t allowed anywhere on the grounds so he can’t coach from his office.

Outsider1
October 17th, 2020, 09:05 AM
Our homecoming game against WTAM today was cancelled a while back because of COVID. Some of us are wondering if our game against SFA in Arlington will be played or not because cases are spiking on campus currently. It's been affecting FCS for a while now.

Libertine
October 17th, 2020, 08:37 PM
Why not?

Because of NCAA rules that limit the number of coaches that a team can have as well as limit the use of technological aids on the sidelines and in the coaching booth. If coaches are coaching remotely, there's no way to enforce those rules.

walliver
October 21st, 2020, 01:35 PM
I don’t know the reason. I learned this in relation to Nick Saban being out Saturday. He isn’t allowed anywhere on the grounds so he can’t coach from his office.

History has once again shown that the SEC and Alabama get what they want.

Libertine
October 22nd, 2020, 10:06 AM
Tangentially related to FCS but interesting and COVID-related: former SEMO head coach and the 2002 OVC Coach of the Year Tim Billings will be the interim interim head coach for Southern Miss this weekend as they travel to Liberty.

USM's head coach (and former Alcorn State head coach) Jay Hopson resigned one game into the 2020 season and offensive coordinator Scotty Walden was appointed as the interim head coach. However, Walden tested and was confirmed positive with COVID-19 this week so he will not make the trip to Virginia and Billings has been named the backup interim head coach. I have no idea which coach gets the W/L.

https://www.sunherald.com/sports/college/conference-usa/university-of-southern-mississippi/article246607053.html