PDA

View Full Version : Southern Utah leaving Big Sky....

Schism55
October 2nd, 2020, 04:46 PM
https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1312142232883875841

Laker
October 2nd, 2020, 05:01 PM
What does Northern Arizona think about this?

wapiti
October 2nd, 2020, 06:09 PM
Will the WAC be FCS in football?

If FCS; What other Big Sky Schools will make the move? Maybe NAU, Sac, Cal Poly, UC Davis

If BCS; What other Big Sky Schools will make the move??

Will New Mexico State joining the WAC in football?? I do not see them dropping to FCS.

I assume Dixie State will be part of WAC too.

NY Crusader 2010
October 2nd, 2020, 06:58 PM
Will the WAC be FCS in football?

If FCS; What other Big Sky Schools will make the move? Maybe NAU, Sac, Cal Poly, UC Davis

If BCS; What other Big Sky Schools will make the move??

Will New Mexico State joining the WAC in football?? I do not see them dropping to FCS.

I assume Dixie State will be part of WAC too.

BCS is no longer a thing. But if you meant FBS, there is no chance that the movement of Southern Utah becomes the catalyst for the re-emergence of the WAC of an FBS football conference.

What this probably means is that SUU will be joining the WAC in Olympic Sports and will either try to remain a Big Sky affiliate or will be forced to play as an FCS indy in football. Or the WAC comes that much closer to sponsoring an FCS football conference, beginning with SUU and Dixie. Not impossible that New Mexico State drops down in a post-COVID college sports world. Biggest thing keeping them FBS right now is their rivalries with UNM and UTEP.

Daytripper
October 2nd, 2020, 07:20 PM
Big Sky has too many members anyway. But Southern Utah was one of their more consistent members.

VandalBasher
October 2nd, 2020, 10:09 PM
Others going to the WAC? My guess is Portland St., UC Davis, Sac. St., Cal Poly.

The others that could make it? Azuza Pacific, Central Washington, U of San Diego.

Pinnum
October 2nd, 2020, 10:20 PM
Don’t forget Tarleton State is an FCS program in the WAC.

Add them to Dixie State and Southern Utah and you’ve got a core of three FCS teams with four football playing schools (New Mexico State being FBS).

UTRGV has been talking about adding football. And I have heard talk about the WAC wanting to add members to its core to further help consolidate geography in the conference.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the plan is to bloat the WAC with schools and then split into two conferences with each having a better geographic footprint.

I do know there has been talk by some schools to make a Southwest/Mountain region conference that would go from Texas up to Utah. This seems like the steps to that goal with the three FCS schools the WAC now has. The question will be if they are looking for D2 move ups, new FCS programs, or FCS conference changes to accomplish this (if it’s the goal).

Iridebikes
October 3rd, 2020, 08:16 AM
Southern Utah has only been in the Big Sky since 2012 and I'm not sure what makes you say they are consistent. They've had a couple of football runs but have not really had much of an impact on the conference in any other way. Agree that conference is too big. If WAC does go FCS football I hope it cleans out those that are not full members of the BSC first (Cal Poly and Davis) and then a few others would be nice. Doubt that Northern Arizona would make a move as they are original (or at least, very long time members).

Catatonic
October 3rd, 2020, 10:17 AM
The WAC committed to bringing back football when Dixie State and Tarleton were added. There is almost no chance football will be at the FBS level. The WAC will become a new FCS conference.

I agree that New Mexico State won’t drop down although they should. They will remain a FBS independent for football and stay in the WAC for other sports. They may regularly schedule one or two WAC FCS schools in FB though to hope go win a few games.

Meanwhile, Southern Utah is a great travel partner natural rival for Dixie State. Look for the WAC to make a similar move to accommodate Tarleton by adding a Texas team. D2 move up West Texas AM or a Texas Fcs program from the Southland would be my guess.

I suspect in the future the WAC will target NAU and a couple of more FCS teams from the Big Sky and Southland.

NY Crusader 2010
October 3rd, 2020, 10:23 AM
Grand Canyon University football a possibility?

Catatonic
October 3rd, 2020, 10:45 AM

They have the resources to add football. I don’t know about the desire?

ST_Lawson
October 3rd, 2020, 05:41 PM
I thought I heard a rumor that West Texas A&M was strongly looking at going FCS at some point too. I haven't been following them that closely, so idk if it's still on the table or not.

katss07
October 3rd, 2020, 07:19 PM
I thought I heard a rumor that West Texas A&M was strongly looking at going FCS at some point too. I haven't been following them that closely, so idk if it's still on the table or not.
Wouldn’t surprise me one bit. I’d be shocked if the WAC was revived and WATMU doesn’t try and make a push to join.

They just built a state of the art 8500 seat, $39 Million football stadium. Enrollment is on the rise (believe they have close to the 12k students now) and it’s always been a well-supported program. Fans show up, team is usually pretty good. At least for football, a move to D1 would make great sense.

Hammersmith
October 3rd, 2020, 07:54 PM
The WAC wants 8-10 FCS football schools for a healthy conference(though 6 should be enough for an autobid). The assorted rumors out there right now say they could get up to 7 in a hurry(though some of those rumors are more far fetched than others). They've got Tarleton State and Dixie State playing now, and rumors that SUU is going to switch over, Grand Canyon and UTRGV are going add football, NMSU is going to drop to FCS, and WTAMU is going to move up to DI. WTAMU might be the most realistic rumor and NMSU the least.

Quite a few people are also bringing up UNC as a possibility, but I think the Summit would push hard for them if they went on the market. I'm not certain how much the MVFC would be on board, but they would solve a bunch of problems for the Summit. And I would be massively surprised if NAU decided to leave the Big Sky.

VandalBasher
October 4th, 2020, 01:20 PM

GCU has been on an upswing as a university. Their MBB hire was outstanding. If Liberty U. can do it, so can GCU.

JALMOND
October 5th, 2020, 01:24 PM
Others going to the WAC? My guess is Portland St., UC Davis, Sac. St., Cal Poly.

The others that could make it? Azuza Pacific, Central Washington, U of San Diego.

Travel-wise, it makes no sense for Portland State to jump to the WAC. CWU does not have the facilities for a move up to DI either.

Pinnum
October 5th, 2020, 04:15 PM
GCU has been on an upswing as a university. Their MBB hire was outstanding. If Liberty U. can do it, so can GCU.

Grand Canyon's bread and butter is online learning but they want people to know that they are a real college with a real campus. No better way to do that than to play FCS football and to get two P5 buy games a year. Get those games on national television and get the free advertising that comes with it. You don't even have to be concerned with results.

Catatonic
October 6th, 2020, 04:48 AM
Best guess— The WAC football conference will opt for a smaller footprint by focusing on teams from California, Utah, Arizona, NM and Texas.

Dixie (Utah), Tarleton (TX), and now possibly a second team from Utah (southern) inches the conference to the half way mark for a new FCS conference. A couple more teams from the Big Sky and another D2 move up or two seems the most likely route to follow.

Anthony215
October 6th, 2020, 07:13 AM
I believe West Texas A&M built the new stadium with the eye for moving to the FCS level. It seats 8500 with additional seating to boost capacity to 13000 which is great for FCS football.

Catatonic
October 6th, 2020, 08:08 AM
I believe West Texas A&M built the new stadium with the eye for moving to the FCS level. It seats 8500 with additional seating to boost capacity to 13000 which is great for FCS football.

WTAMU would be a good fit for the WAC. They have an excellent basketball program and facilities are on par with many FCS football schools.

wapiti
October 6th, 2020, 09:24 AM
Travel-wise, it makes no sense for Portland State to jump to the WAC. CWU does not have the facilities for a move up to DI either.

I agree. This move does not make sense for PSU. I see PSU remaining in the Big sky.

NAU on the other hand?? They have been in the Big Sky for a long time, but travel wise the WAC would make sense.

The other team I thought about was Northern Colorado. But neither the Big Sky or the WAC is a good travel fit for them. So I do not see see NC moving.

NY Crusader 2010
October 6th, 2020, 10:14 AM
Isn't Northern Colorado going to the Summit?

In that case the WAC as a football affiliate might make sense.

Catatonic
October 6th, 2020, 10:22 AM
NAU makes sense. The Big Sky California schools might also work-UCD, Cal Poly, Sacramento State.

JALMOND
October 6th, 2020, 12:06 PM
I agree. This move does not make sense for PSU. I see PSU remaining in the Big sky.

NAU on the other hand?? They have been in the Big Sky for a long time, but travel wise the WAC would make sense.

The other team I thought about was Northern Colorado. But neither the Big Sky or the WAC is a good travel fit for them. So I do not see see NC moving.

In the past, we've bussed to Cheney, Moscow, Missoula, Bozeman and Pocatello. We would have to budget for more flights if we moved to the WAC, with the footprint they are creating.

NAU has been in the Big Sky since 1972 (I think). They would be an ideal fit, but it would be a major coup for the WAC to steal them away.

Catatonic
October 6th, 2020, 02:47 PM
In the past, we've bussed to Cheney, Moscow, Missoula, Bozeman and Pocatello. We would have to budget for more flights if we moved to the WAC, with the footprint they are creating.

NAU has been in the Big Sky since 1972 (I think). They would be an ideal fit, but it would be a major coup for the WAC to steal them away.

I understand the history argument. I’m not following the more flights logic though. Other than ChicAgo which is rumored to be on the way out, the distances aren’t any more from Flag to WAC schools than to the Big Sky schools you mentioned?

katss07
October 6th, 2020, 03:04 PM
Any chance the WAC tries to poach ACU from the Southland? They'd fit this hypothetical WAC footprint and are currently a bit of an outlier in the Southland. Would make a great travel partner with WTAMU or Tarleton State.

JALMOND
October 6th, 2020, 03:12 PM
I understand the history argument. I’m not following the more flights logic though. Other than ChicAgo which is rumored to be on the way out, the distances aren’t any more from Flag to WAC schools than to the Big Sky schools you mentioned?

Bozeman and Pocatello are both abut 750 miles from Portland. If we were to move to the WAC, the closest schools would be Davis and Sac (if they both went, too) and we could bus there. The WAC schools in New Mexico and Texas, we would have to pay to fly there.

Currently the only Big Sky schools we fly on a regular basis to are Northern Colorado, Northern Arizona, Southern Utah and Cal Poly. For Weber, sometimes we fly to SLC, sometimes we bus.

Catatonic
October 6th, 2020, 04:24 PM
Bozeman and Pocatello are both abut 750 miles from Portland. If we were to move to the WAC, the closest schools would be Davis and Sac (if they both went, too) and we could bus there. The WAC schools in New Mexico and Texas, we would have to pay to fly there.

Currently the only Big Sky schools we fly on a regular basis to are Northern Colorado, Northern Arizona, Southern Utah and Cal Poly. For Weber, sometimes we fly to SLC, sometimes we bus.

I thought you were from NAU. Sorry

Catatonic
October 6th, 2020, 04:33 PM
Any chance the WAC tries to poach ACU from the Southland? They'd fit this hypothetical WAC footprint and are currently a bit of an outlier in the Southland. Would make a great travel partner with WTAMU or Tarleton State.

Never say never but Utah, Arizona California and Washington are a lot further than Arkansas, LA, and Arkansas.

Iridebikes
October 6th, 2020, 06:42 PM
The exciting thing about all of this conversation is that we may get another FCS conference out west. With all of the new teams coming in it will help with non-conference schedules.

Outsider1
October 6th, 2020, 07:15 PM

I don't see it from both a historical or travel perspective. Both Tarleton and WTAM would make good OOC games. At this point I don't think the WAC would really offer much. We may be an "outlier" in the SLC but we are a founding member.

katss07
October 6th, 2020, 09:01 PM
Never say never but Utah, Arizona California and Washington are a lot further than Arkansas, LA, and Arkansas.
Curious: you earlier mention speculation of the WAC trying to steal a school from the Southland. I guess I just assumed you were referring to ACU because I see them as a geographic outlier, although the same could be said for UIW. If not ACU, who might you be referring to? I think ACU would clearly make the most sense... although HBU is already in the WAC for some sports I believe.

Let's assume WTAMU goes D1 and joins the "new" WAC along with Tarleton State. You'd have two WAC schools much closer to Abilene than any Southland schools. Obviously I don't know how ACU's athletic dept operates, or if they view the WAC as a potential conference to join later on, but as an outsider I can see the fit.

katss07
October 6th, 2020, 10:22 PM
I don't see it from both a historical or travel perspective. Both Tarleton and WTAM would make good OOC games. At this point I don't think the WAC would really offer much. We may be an "outlier" in the SLC but we are a founding member.
ACU is indeed a Southland Founder, right along with Trinity, UT-Arlington, Lamar State and Arkansas State! I bet those four would be outraged if one of the founders bolted for the WAC. Would be a shame if ACU threw away all 15 years of their Southland history to join their former Lone Star Conference-mates of nearly 40 years in a new FCS league.

Outsider1
October 6th, 2020, 11:11 PM
ACU is indeed a Southland Founder, right along with Trinity, UT-Arlington, Lamar State and Arkansas State! I bet those four would be outraged if one of the founders bolted for the WAC. Would be a shame if ACU threw away all 15 years of their Southland history to join their former Lone Star Conference-mates of nearly 40 years in a new FCS league.

I agree with the never say never, but I just don't see it. The SLC is just getting better.

Catatonic
October 7th, 2020, 07:27 AM
Curious: you earlier mention speculation of the WAC trying to steal a school from the Southland. I guess I just assumed you were referring to ACU because I see them as a geographic outlier, although the same could be said for UIW. If not ACU, who might you be referring to? I think ACU would clearly make the most sense... although HBU is already in the WAC for some sports I believe.

Let's assume WTAMU goes D1 and joins the "new" WAC along with Tarleton State. You'd have two WAC schools much closer to Abilene than any Southland schools. Obviously I don't know how ACU's athletic dept operates, or if they view the WAC as a potential conference to join later on, but as an outsider I can see the fit.

I did have ACU in mind when I said I imagine the WAC will court current FCS schools from the Big Sky and Southland conferences. It’s really tough to launch a new conference with nothing but D2 move ups, As you point out, we are the western most member of the Southland and a logical choice given our proximity to Tarleton and WTAMU.

There are some advantages— The opportunity to rekindle old rivalries and a stronger basketball conference than the Southland, for example. With the right mix of Big Sky schools, the WAC could emerge as a strong FCS football conference as well.

Transportation costs remain a huge obstacle though. The WAC is too far flung geographically-Seattle, Chicago, California, Utah, and Arizona. Getting Olympic sports teams to Chicago in February presents logistical and financial challenges greater than any issues we have with our current conference home.

ACU isn’t the only SLC school the WAC might pitch. They could also target Sam, SFA or Lamar with promises of offering FBS football in the near future. Lamar in particular has said they’d like to move up. New Mexico State would like the conference to go this route and Grand Canyon has said they aren’t interested in starting a FCS team but would look at FBS. In the Big Sky UCD has the resources to move up.

ST_Lawson
October 7th, 2020, 08:20 AM
Isn't Northern Colorado going to the Summit?

In that case the WAC as a football affiliate might make sense.

Only for baseball currently. Not saying they couldn't eventually join for all sports, but I haven't seen any movement on that front.

TheKingpin28
October 7th, 2020, 10:58 AM
Only for baseball currently. Not saying they couldn't eventually join for all sports, but I haven't seen any movement on that front.Not sure how much longer WIU can stay in the Summit league. If the UNC is added permanently, I'd have to believe they are finally gone. Every school would ave a travel partner (St Thomas being in the Twin Cities could theoretically be paired with NDSU or SDSU and it's easy to get to.

GFCC-NDSU
NDSU-SDSU
SDSU-USeD
USeD-Omaha
Omaha-UMKC
UMKC-Oral Roberts
Denver-UNC

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

TheKingpin28
October 7th, 2020, 11:02 AM
Not sure how much longer WIU can stay in the Summit league. If the UNC is added permanently, I'd have to believe they are finally gone. Every school would ave a travel partner (St Thomas being in the Twin Cities could theoretically be paired with NDSU or SDSU and it's easy to get to.

GFCC-NDSU
NDSU-SDSU
SDSU-USeD
USeD-Omaha
Omaha-UMKC
UMKC-Oral Roberts
Denver-UNC

Sent from my SM-J727V using TapatalkRelisitcally Omaha and Kansas City are the only "bus" trips and are anywhere from 4.5-5.5 hours

ST_Lawson
October 7th, 2020, 11:35 AM
Not sure how much longer WIU can stay in the Summit league. If the UNC is added permanently, I'd have to believe they are finally gone.

https://media.tenor.com/images/3d1e4aaa9af15f98a94839a4e002bec6/tenor.gif

TheKingpin28
October 7th, 2020, 01:59 PM
https://media.tenor.com/images/3d1e4aaa9af15f98a94839a4e002bec6/tenor.gif

If Macomb had a travel partner and was more readily accessible, it would make sense, but with the east schools chalking up the deuces, it is hard to convince WIU to stay.

ST_Lawson
October 7th, 2020, 02:15 PM
If Macomb had a travel partner and was more readily accessible, it would make sense, but with the east schools chalking up the deuces, it is hard to convince WIU to stay.

You're not wrong...my gif was just meant to imply sad agreement. We're the last remaining original member of the Mid-Con/Summit, but the conference just keeps moving west and it's gradually leaving us behind. What it means for our conference situation is anyone's guess.

Purely in terms of geography and keeping football in place, the best options are the Horizon League (not likely) and the MVC (REALLY not likely).
OVC is the next possibility, but that also means moving football.

And then there's the "nuclear option"...DII GLVC (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Lakes_Valley_Conference).

TheKingpin28
October 7th, 2020, 02:25 PM
You're not wrong...my gif was just meant to imply sad agreement. We're the last remaining original member of the Mid-Con/Summit, but the conference just keeps moving west and it's gradually leaving us behind. What it means for our conference situation is anyone's guess.

Purely in terms of geography and keeping football in place, the best options are the Horizon League (not likely) and the MVC (REALLY not likely).
OVC is the next possibility, but that also means moving football.

And then there's the "nuclear option"...DII GLVC (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Lakes_Valley_Conference).

I agreed with the gif and it will suck, but if the MVC nor Horizon take you, would the OVC take you without someone else leaving? Semi-serious question: How can Illinois consider trying to fund U of I, ISUr, NIU, WIU, SIU, SIU-Edwardsville, EIU, UIC, etc.. without stealing from other funds?

dbackjon
October 7th, 2020, 03:56 PM

No. No room for a field, no desire. They want to be a basketball school, and parlay that into a WCC invite. Football would drain too many resources.

ST_Lawson
October 7th, 2020, 03:58 PM
Semi-serious question: How can Illinois consider trying to fund U of I, ISUr, NIU, WIU, SIU, SIU-Edwardsville, EIU, UIC, etc.. without stealing from other funds?

I don't really know. I do know that they used to be able to fund higher ed at a much higher level. They're spending a lot less now than they were 20 years ago, and none of those schools are new (although SIU-E has grown quite a bit).

dbackjon
October 7th, 2020, 03:59 PM
SUU is denying these reports.

And wouldn't move unless they were the 6th team (at least). They aren't going to give up a shot at the auto-bid.

dbackjon
October 7th, 2020, 04:02 PM
As for NAU, unless it made HUGE financial sense (which it doesn't), NAU isn't going to leave a conference they have been in for 50 years, and has more academic peers for an unstable hybrid (Private/Public/Fake) Conference, especially when the only good academic schools in the WAC (Seattle, NMSU) would bolt at the first chance to upgrade.

TheKingpin28
October 7th, 2020, 05:26 PM
I don't really know. I do know that they used to be able to fund higher ed at a much higher level. They're spending a lot less now than they were 20 years ago, and none of those schools are new (although SIU-E has grown quite a bit).I just have to believe at least 1 school is going to be forced to drop down and/or cut athletics. Then again, NDUS has something like 12 schools IIRC. It's not sustainable and causes people to fight for crumbs. If U of I is going to get their wedge, there is only so much leftovers to be had

NY Crusader 2010
October 7th, 2020, 05:33 PM
No. No room for a field, no desire. They want to be a basketball school, and parlay that into a WCC invite. Football would drain too many resources.

Aside from the obvious choice to bring in BYU when they left the Mountain West, when was the last time the WCC added membership? Pacific in the early 2000's? And before that I feel like membership has been stable probably dating back to the Hank Gathers years with Loyola Marymount.

dbackjon
October 7th, 2020, 06:10 PM
Aside from the obvious choice to bring in BYU when they left the Mountain West, when was the last time the WCC added membership? Pacific in the early 2000's? And before that I feel like membership has been stable probably dating back to the Hank Gathers years with Loyola Marymount.

I know reality. But that is GCU's goal. The Gonzaga/Butler of the Southwest.

ST_Lawson
October 7th, 2020, 07:33 PM
I just have to believe at least 1 school is going to be forced to drop down and/or cut athletics. Then again, NDUS has something like 12 schools IIRC. It's not sustainable and causes people to fight for crumbs. If U of I is going to get their wedge, there is only so much leftovers to be had

I'm honestly astounded that Chicago State is still DI. I wonder if this growth of the WAC into an all-sports (football included) conference and renewed focus on the west and southwestern region will cause them to kick Chicago State out as a member. The DII GLIAC, DIII Midwest Conference, or NAIA Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference would all be much better in terms of travel and give them a much better opportunity for winning games (something they haven't done much of on the basketball side of things in quite a few years).

Either that or merge them with Governors State University. I don't know why we need 4 public universities in the Chicagoland area (in addition to all the community colleges and the private schools...Northwestern, U of Chicago, Loyola, DePaul, etc...there's a lot more, but those are the big ones). Combined, CSU and GSU have just under 7,300 students this semester and they're literally both on the same metra rail line. Make them 2 campuses of the same university, combine some departments and administrative offices and save some $$$.

chrisattsu
October 7th, 2020, 10:49 PM
I did have ACU in mind when I said I imagine the WAC will court current FCS schools from the Big Sky and Southland conferences. It’s really tough to launch a new conference with nothing but D2 move ups, As you point out, we are the western most member of the Southland and a logical choice given our proximity to Tarleton and WTAMU.

There are some advantages— The opportunity to rekindle old rivalries and a stronger basketball conference than the Southland, for example. With the right mix of Big Sky schools, the WAC could emerge as a strong FCS football conference as well.

Transportation costs remain a huge obstacle though. The WAC is too far flung geographically-Seattle, Chicago, California, Utah, and Arizona. Getting Olympic sports teams to Chicago in February presents logistical and financial challenges greater than any issues we have with our current conference home.

ACU isn’t the only SLC school the WAC might pitch. They could also target Sam, SFA or Lamar with promises of offering FBS football in the near future. Lamar in particular has said they’d like to move up. New Mexico State would like the conference to go this route and Grand Canyon has said they aren’t interested in starting a FCS team but would look at FBS. In the Big Sky UCD has the resources to move up.Whether in conference or ooc, I look forward to our games against ACU again. While the Wac is spread out today, we could see a divisional split if enough pieces were in place.

WACEAST-
Tarleton, ACU, West Texas, UTRGV. New Mexico State, Chicago state

Wac west -
Cal Baptist, utah valley, dixie state, seattle, gcu, tbd

If Chicago leaves thats not a bad footprint.

UIW is the other Southland school that o have wondered about. San Antonio is large city which goes with their Phoenix, Seattle, chicago, SLC market strategy. Its a stop over between Tarleton and RGV.
Uiw wanted out of D2 to get more national exposure

Catatonic
October 8th, 2020, 06:43 AM
Whether in conference or ooc, I look forward to our games against ACU again. While the Wac is spread out today, we could see a divisional split if enough pieces were in place.

WACEAST-
Tarleton, ACU, West Texas, UTRGV. New Mexico State, Chicago state

Wac west -
Cal Baptist, utah valley, dixie state, seattle, gcu, tbd

If Chicago leaves thats not a bad footprint.

UIW is the other Southland school that o have wondered about. San Antonio is large city which goes with their Phoenix, Seattle, chicago, SLC market strategy. Its a stop over between Tarleton and RGV.
Uiw wanted out of D2 to get more national exposure

Another possibility—Folks are wondering if some of the openly critical comments about Southland decisions around COVID made by SFA hint at a possible defection to the WAC.

I agree about renewing a rivalry between ACU and Tarleton regardless.

The division idea makes sense. It would also make it tough to win a divisional basketball title. NMSU has the strongest program in the WAC. They may suck at every other sport but they are good at basketball, at least for men.

TheRevSFA
October 8th, 2020, 07:10 AM
Another possibility— There is a thread about WAC expansion over on AGS. Folks are wondering if some of the openly critical comments about Southland decisions around COVID made by SFA hint at a possible defection to the WAC.

The division idea makes sense. It would also make it tough to win a divisional basketball title. NMSU has the strongest program in the WAC. They may suck at every other sport but they are good at basketball, at least for men.

I’ve heard rumors about SFA wanting to split. I don’t think school leadership is happy with the conference direction. Also I think the WAC would be a basketball focused conference first which SFA wants

it will be interesting to see what direction our leadership takes but I know they aren’t happy

wapiti
October 8th, 2020, 09:09 AM
I’ve heard rumors about SFA wanting to split. I don’t think school leadership is happy with the conference direction. Also I think the WAC would be a basketball focused conference first which SFA wants

it will be interesting to see what direction our leadership takes but I know they aren’t happy

If they are not happy, then what dwarf are they??? xlolxxlolx

dbackjon
October 8th, 2020, 01:09 PM
[/B]
If they are not happy, then what dwarf are they??? xlolxxlolx

sounds like they are Grumpy

Pinnum
October 8th, 2020, 01:09 PM
Getting Olympic sports teams to Chicago in February presents logistical and financial challenges greater than any issues we have with our current conference home.

What Olympic sports would have to go to Chicago in February? Basketball is the only sport where Chicago State would be playing conference games that time of year... https://www.gocsucougars.com/

NY Crusader 2010
October 8th, 2020, 06:05 PM
I know reality. But that is GCU's goal. The Gonzaga/Butler of the Southwest.

I see them more of the Florida Gulf Coast of the Southwest. There's another school that would be well-suited to start FCS football...

chrisattsu
October 8th, 2020, 06:14 PM
Another possibility—Folks are wondering if some of the openly critical comments about Southland decisions around COVID made by SFA hint at a possible defection to the WAC.

The division idea makes sense. It would also make it tough to win a divisional basketball title. NMSU has the strongest program in the WAC. They may suck at every other sport but they are good at basketball, at least for men.NMSU is a beast in basketball and would rule the roost. ACU and SFA were tournament teams recently. That would be an RPI improvement for both teams.

Tarleton has a history of d2 basketball success and hired Billy Gillespie to make the transition to d1. I know we will struggle with the transition, i just hope we get there sooner than later.

Catatonic
October 9th, 2020, 07:09 AM
I see them more of the Florida Gulf Coast of the Southwest. There's another school that would be well-suited to start FCS football...

Rumor is that GCU has no interest in FCS football. If they add football it will be with the intent of moving to FBS.

ST_Lawson
October 22nd, 2020, 02:48 PM
Doesn't have anything to do with the original topic of this thread, but relevant to later conversations. Apparently the WAC has sent invites to Stephen F. Austin, Lamar, Sam Houston State, and Abilene Christian.
https://twitter.com/WACHoopsDigest/status/1318620423899078657

Pinnum
October 22nd, 2020, 02:51 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/WACHoopsDigest/status/1318620423899078657

according to the discussion above the following Southland schools have been invited to the WAC.

- Stephen F. Austin
- Lamar
- Sam Houston State
- Abilene Christian

NY Crusader 2010
October 22nd, 2020, 05:43 PM
Based on my knowledge of Texas geography, ACU makes sense.

But for the other three schools, aren't they all located in East Texas, within driving distance of the Louisiana and Arkansas contingent in the Southland? I don't see why these schools would leave.

katss07
October 22nd, 2020, 06:29 PM
I don't want any part of this. I get some Sam fans aren't all that thrilled about the Southland... but the WAC?? No thanks! Sam's lucky that the Southland has such a concentrated footprint. Travel is great, and cheap. Most FCS schools don't have that. We've got SIX conference schools within three hours. That's gone if we join the WAC. And so is a TON of extra cash that could be going to more important things, like, I don't know, improving the worst FCS stadium in Texas?

This move would be a considerable drop off competition wise in football. Obviously, basketball wise it's an improvement, but who cares? That's SFA's thing. Attendance would fall off as well! We have enough issues drawing fans as is with longtime conference rivals. I can't imagine Southern Utah and Dixie f***ing State would stir up much excitement from the fanbase and Huntsville locals. Hopefully AD Bobby Williams shuts this down.

Outsider1
October 22nd, 2020, 08:02 PM
The Southland is just beginning to get some steam. Everyone talks about how far west we are, but compared to where we would be having to travel, it would get worse in the WAC. We have good competition now within fairly easy drives. What does the WAC really offer? It's a waste of money and time..... Sorry, but our SLC competition brings a lot more to the table.

UNHWildcat18
October 22nd, 2020, 09:04 PM
The Southland is just beginning to get some steam. Everyone talks about how far west we are, but compared to where we would be having to travel, it would get worse in the WAC. We have good competition now within fairly easy drives. What does the WAC really offer? It's a waste of money and time..... Sorry, but our SLC competition brings a lot more to the table.

Agreed, I'd be focusing on bringing more attention to the southland. Not abandoning it for who? Dixie state?

Libertine
October 23rd, 2020, 09:39 AM
This may be as much a basketball transaction as it is football. If Steve, Sam, et al., join the WAC, that conference gets back into the football game and those schools join a conference that's 3-4 spots higher in RPI.

wapiti
October 23rd, 2020, 12:59 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/WACHoopsDigest/status/1318620423899078657

according to the discussion above the following Southland schools have been invited to the WAC.

- Stephen F. Austin
- Lamar
- Sam Houston State
- Abilene Christian

I am somewhat surprised they haven't invited a few Big Sky Schools.
Especially Sac, CP, UC Davis, and NAU (in addition to SUU). They would seem to make for a good geographic footprint for the WAC. (I would be somewhat surprised if NAU made the jump.)
I have no idea if the Cali schools would be interested in changing conferences.

NDB
October 23rd, 2020, 01:16 PM
Someone build divisions.

Libertine
October 24th, 2020, 06:26 PM
I am somewhat surprised they haven't invited a few Big Sky Schools.

http://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2020/conferencerpi

Here's why I think basketball is driving this, not geography.

2019 RPI:

Big Sky 18
Big West 24
WAC 27
Southland 30

It doesn't make any business sense for any western schools to voluntarily sacrifice that much athletic prestige by jumpint to the WAC except for D2 move-ups and the aforementioned Southland-ers.

Puddin Tane
October 24th, 2020, 06:46 PM
Based on my knowledge of Texas geography, ACU makes sense.

But for the other three schools, aren't they all located in East Texas, within driving distance of the Louisiana and Arkansas contingent in the Southland? I don't see why these schools would leave.

yes. Cept Central arky is about an 8 hour drive. Not to ruffle feathers, but this area doesnt give a rats ass about playing out west.