PDA

View Full Version : Changes to FCS Playoffs for 2020-21

bonarae
September 16th, 2020, 05:44 PM
It will be played in the spring after all. April 18 to May 15.

Last regular season game not after April 17.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2020-09-16/di-council-approves-playing-and-practice-changes-fcs-championship?utm_campaign=trending

Professor Chaos
September 16th, 2020, 09:13 PM
Posted the same info in this thread a couple weeks ago but they finalized it today: https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?255748-The-2020-2021-Playoffs

Basically this means that the latest an 8 game conference regular season can start is 2/27 for leagues with an even number of teams and 2/20 for leagues with an odd number of teams. That means practice will have to start up in mid-to-late January. It's far from ideal especially for schools in colder climates who don't have indoor facilities. You're also asking players to play up to 12 straight weeks (including the playoffs) in February-May and then come back in less than 3 months and start getting ready for another full season in the fall. This will impact the 2021 fall season due to injuries sustained in the 2021 spring season.

That said it's better than no season at all but the 2021 calendar year will present a ton of unique challenges to FCS teams that no program can adequately prepare for.

OhioHen
September 17th, 2020, 06:23 AM
One big takeaway not related to the playoffs:

Teams playing this fall can have normal organized spring ball.
Teams playing in the spring can have organized fall ball now.
Teams not playing at all in the academic year are only permitted one or the other.

BEAR
September 17th, 2020, 08:17 AM
One big takeaway not related to the playoffs:

Teams playing this fall can have normal organized spring ball.
Teams playing in the spring can have organized fall ball now.
Teams not playing at all in the academic year are only permitted one or the other.

Interesting. If there will be a season in the Spring I know we have already opted out of it. Tough to play 9 games in the fall then likely 8 or 9 in the spring then back at it in the fall... if I'm understanding that first part right...xeyebrowx

DFW HOYA
September 17th, 2020, 09:41 AM
Tough to play 9 games in the fall then likely 8 or 9 in the spring then back at it in the fall... if I'm understanding that first part right...xeyebrowx

Tough, but presents a great opportunity to teams that aren't playoff bound...and to be fair, there are probably no more than 35-40 teams that are serious candidates for the playoffs. For the rest, use the spring games to get more people some reps that could be candidates for the fall. Instead of wearing down a RB or risking a QB injury in March, open the depth charts a little bit and see if the RS freshmen are capable candidates for fall ball as opposed to kicking it into 2022. No coach is going to lose their job over a loss or two this spring that paves the way for a better fall.

lionsrking2
September 17th, 2020, 12:28 PM
Interesting. If there will be a season in the Spring I know we have already opted out of it. Tough to play 9 games in the fall then likely 8 or 9 in the spring then back at it in the fall... if I'm understanding that first part right...xeyebrowx

You wouldn't be allowed to play nine games in the fall, then 8 or 9 in the spring. If you play all nine in the fall, the most you could play in the spring is two non-conference games, not counting playoffs. I suppose UCA would be eligible for an at-large if the fall resume is good enough.

Outsider1
September 17th, 2020, 12:44 PM
The issue for the Fall-Ball teams is practice/conditioning for playoffs IF they make the cut in the Spring. That will be a large gap. I am trying to figure out how to interpret, "Schools conducting fall ball during fall 2020 must follow the spring practice model (for example, 15 on-field practices within 34 consecutive days)." How will the Fall-Ball teams be ready for playoffs? Will they even be the same team by that time (ie. old vs new players)...?

BEAR
September 17th, 2020, 12:59 PM
You wouldn't be allowed to play nine games in the fall, then 8 or 9 in the spring. If you play all nine in the fall, the most you could play in the spring is two non-conference games, not counting playoffs. I suppose UCA would be eligible for an at-large if the fall resume is good enough.

Yeah that's true. But I don't see Dr. Teague saying to coach Brown that he wants us to play 9 in the Fall then two in the spring. Too much to reset after so many months. Knowing this program we will likely just opt out of anything spring and just work on recruiting and spring football camps then.

ejjones
September 18th, 2020, 04:24 AM
It’s my understanding that teams who opted out fall can participate in traditional spring practices Now since CovID shutdown spring ‘20 practices. These teams can also play a spring’21 season.