PDA

View Full Version : Fordham Football Fundraising

DFW HOYA
August 28th, 2020, 10:19 AM
Some mixed feelings upon seeing this online fundraising effort, given that Fordham is not playing in the fall and given the PL's leadership, probably not until next fall.

Three questions:

1. Is your school actively fundraising at this time?

2. What is the goal of this campaign?

3. What is a virtual sellout? A goal of $28,000 is $4 a ticket.

https://www.givecampus.com/schools/FordhamUniversity/fordham-football-virtual-sellout#updates

kdinva
August 28th, 2020, 01:01 PM
Some mixed feelings upon seeing this online fundraising effort, given that Fordham is not playing in the fall and given the PL's leadership, probably not until next fall.

Three questions:

1. Is your school actively fundraising at this time?

VMI always solicit fundraising for it's teams: whether it be for scholarships, recruiting & travel, operations, facilities upgrades, etc...and alumni respond very nicely.

FUBeAR
August 28th, 2020, 09:10 PM
Furman has a VERY active Football Alumni organization - Furman Football Players Association (FFPA).

Annual Golf Tournament with Silent Auction / Social the night before is the BIG Annual Fundraiser. Helps to have an on-campus golf course.

Dues are collected with very low horizons for recent Alums & an elevated tier to acquire parking very near the Tailgate hosted by the FFPA each home game.

An Alum or group of Alums will provide/prepare the main course for these & attendees are requested (not required) to bring a side dish. Big Tent & Family-style eating every week. Beverages are BYO or dip into your Teammates’ coolers if you run out, or whatever. Cash donations are welcome at these events, but not ‘pressured’ at all.

ALL monies raised go DIRECTLY to Furman Football (ONLY) & used for discretionary un- or underfunded expenditures.

WileECoyote06
August 28th, 2020, 10:23 PM
NCCU is promoting virtual homecoming and trying to raise a million dollars by Halloween. A million dollars is the equivalent of a sold out stadium with each fan giving $100 (10000 * $100). I'll be sending in my $200 next week.

https://hbcugameday.com/2020/08/07/nccu-virtual-homecoming-aims-to-energize-fans-and-raise-money/

Fordham
August 31st, 2020, 08:43 AM
not sure where the mixed feelings come from DFW. We have new leadership in the Athletic Dept and they're dramatically younger, focused on fund raising and social media savvy. I think this was a creative way to keep the team in the minds of the supporters of the program. It was a modest goal but at least it was exceeded. Good stuff all around for us with this push imo.

DFW HOYA
August 31st, 2020, 09:24 AM
not sure where the mixed feelings come from DFW. We have new leadership in the Athletic Dept and they're dramatically younger, focused on fund raising and social media savvy. I think this was a creative way to keep the team in the minds of the supporters of the program. It was a modest goal but at least it was exceeded. Good stuff all around for us with this push imo.

Didn't mean that to be contrary--I know that some schools have dialed back fundraising given the instability around the school year. If Fordham can be successful, no harm suggested.

Catbooster
September 1st, 2020, 05:05 PM
I'm surprised anyone is dialing back their fundraising, given the current situation has put such a strain on their budgets. My perception is that our fundraising is continuing as normal, or perhaps a bit more than that since they are hoping we will donate our season ticket fees and they've mentioned numerous times how they hope we will continue or increase our booster club donations.

OhioHen
September 2nd, 2020, 06:41 AM
I'm surprised anyone is dialing back their fundraising, given the current situation has put such a strain on their budgets. My perception is that our fundraising is continuing as normal, or perhaps a bit more than that since they are hoping we will donate our season ticket fees and they've mentioned numerous times how they hope we will continue or increase our booster club donations.

^^^^^^
This 100%. If anything, there is a greater need for fundraising to cover the ongoing costs of having an athletic department when there is no standard income. Lost home game tickets, parking, and concessions. No FBS payday. No Classics for the HBCUs. The only thing left is fundraising.

walliver
September 9th, 2020, 08:33 AM
Wofford's fundraising is unchanged. They did request, but not require, the football season ticket payments be changed to charitable donations.
Our coaches aren't paid enough to take salary cuts. All scholarships are being honored (a number of athletes are on mixed academic/athletic/need-based scholarships). There are some savings from reduced travel.

A number of fans are very upset at the school administration for cancelling football, so I don't know if donations are down much. Our current president is quite divisive among older alumni.