PDA

View Full Version : Southland Commish says Yes to Fall Football

Daytripper
July 24th, 2020, 10:14 AM
https://www.reporternews.com/story/sports/college/acu/football/2020/07/22/southland-conference-plans-playing-full-football-schedule-fall/5488288002/

“We are planning to proceed with the 2020 football season as scheduled in the fall,” Burnett said. “The opening game, again, is less than five weeks (away) in Week 0 with Central Arkansas opening up the season (against Austin Peay) on ESPN, and that will be followed with what we think will be a full slate off games on Labor Day weekend.”

wapiti
July 24th, 2020, 10:22 AM
https://www.reporternews.com/story/sports/college/acu/football/2020/07/22/southland-conference-plans-playing-full-football-schedule-fall/5488288002/

“We are planning to proceed with the 2020 football season as scheduled in the fall,” Burnett said. “The opening game, again, is less than five weeks (away) in Week 0 with Central Arkansas opening up the season (against Austin Peay) on ESPN, and that will be followed with what we think will be a full slate off games on Labor Day weekend.”

At last, some common sense is prevailing.

bluedog
July 24th, 2020, 10:53 AM

“We are planning to proceed with the 2020 football season as scheduled in the fall,” Burnett said. “The opening game, again, is less than five weeks (away) in Week 0 with Central Arkansas opening up the season (against Austin Peay) on ESPN, and that will be followed with what we think will be a full slate off games on Labor Day weekend.”If they actually play, it's going to interesting as hell what he/she is going to say when they start dropping like flies. The only positive thing about this situtation. They won't have to be concern about social distancing in the stadium.

jacksfan29!
July 24th, 2020, 11:57 AM
If they actually play, it's going to interesting ad hell what he/she is going to say when they start dropping like flies. The only positive thing about this situtation. They won't have to be concern about social distancing in the stadium.

Are you really that scared? Or are you pro-virus?

bluedog
July 24th, 2020, 12:05 PM
Are you really that scared? Or are you pro-virus?It's easy to question other people's motives. When the classification that you're in. Isn't one with underlying conditions and you're not ten times more likely to get the disease and die.

cx500d
July 24th, 2020, 12:48 PM
Those college athletes will be dropping like flies! Its true, blueballs said.

Panther88
July 24th, 2020, 03:12 PM

Lets ask chuck woolery if he's scared or pro-covid45?

Professor
July 24th, 2020, 03:18 PM
As long as the athletes and their families are able to sue the univerity in the event the player gets sick , dies, etc. , then i say ok

walliver
July 24th, 2020, 03:36 PM
In a few weeks, we will know if MLB and NBA players start dropping like flies. If they do, the season will likely be cancelled.

Barring a sudden cure, this pandemic probably has another year and a half before it dies down. I don't see a lot of 18-23 year old young men staying home and socially isolating for that long.

BEAR
July 24th, 2020, 03:49 PM

Nah he’s just Debbie Downer as usual. <Insert multi laughing emojis and quip with victim society overtones >

dewey
July 24th, 2020, 03:49 PM
As long as the athletes and their families are able to sue the univerity in the event the player gets sick , dies, etc. , then i say ok

I thought I heard that the universities were coming up with a waiver form. I don't think it is worth the risk to the student athletes, coaches (who may be older), training staff, etc for a game.

Dewey

wapiti
July 24th, 2020, 04:03 PM
In a few weeks, we will know if MLB and NBA players start dropping like flies. If they do, the season will likely be cancelled.

Barring a sudden cure, this pandemic probably has another year and a half before it dies down. I don't see a lot of 18-23 year old young men staying home and socially isolating for that long.

Thing is, there is treatment for Covid-19 that greatly reduces the symptons from Covid-19 and increases the recovery rate.
Even without any treatment the recovery rate is over 99%.

unknown3
July 24th, 2020, 04:15 PM
At last, some common sense is prevailing.

Putting people at risk and driving the numbers up when hospitals are already at capacity is "common sense?" The only thing common about this is schools worrying about losing money.

NY Crusader 2010
July 24th, 2020, 04:26 PM
Putting people at risk and driving the numbers up when hospitals are already at capacity is "common sense?" The only thing common about this is schools worrying about losing money.

Non-televised FCS football games in front of zero fans make money?

I think it's more about schools wanting to get back to normal and do what they think is best for their student athletes.

I still find it funny how upside-down the world is. New York and New England -- new deaths and hospitalizations almost at zero. And everything is cancelled. Sun belt states -- still peaking -- no cancellations.

My sister is a Vanderbilt alum and I happened to check out their athletics site last night. Their 12-game football schedule is still 100% in tact. Must be one of just a handful of schools in any division where this is still the case.

wapiti
July 24th, 2020, 04:31 PM

Very few hospitals are at capacity and people are risk at getting the flu too. and the death rate from the flu is not much different than Covid.

How do you even get out of bed in the morning? It is risky to get up and live life.

bluedog
July 24th, 2020, 04:59 PM
Non-televised FCS football games in front of zero fans make money?

I think it's more about schools wanting to get back to normal and do what they think is best for their student athletes.

I still find it funny how upside-down the world is. New York and New England -- new deaths and hospitalizations almost at zero. And everything is cancelled. Sun belt states -- still peaking -- no cancellations.

My sister is a Vanderbilt alum and I happened to check out their athletics site last night. Their 12-game football schedule is still 100% in tact. Must be one of just a handful of schools in any division where this is still the case.The fact that you're comparing a P5 conference to any of us. Tells me that you really don't understand the financial dynamics of our schools and the impact any lost revenue will have.

JacksFan40
July 24th, 2020, 05:06 PM
Those college athletes will be dropping like flies! Its true, blueballs said.
Ah yes, college athletes are definitely the group that will drop like flies. The guys who are in peak physical shape, they should definitely be worried.

NY Crusader 2010
July 24th, 2020, 05:13 PM
The fact that you're comparing a P5 conference to any of us. Tells me that you really don't understand the financial dynamics of our schools and the impact any lost revenue will have.

You didn't understand my post. The Vanderbilt reference was a side note.

This thread is specifically about the SOUTHLAND CONFERENCE playing football. SE Louisiana playing Nicholls State in front of no fans this fall is not generating any revenue. Therefore not playing that game due to safety reasons is not causing either school to lose money. FCS football this fall is going to be all expenses with very little to no revenue.

bluedog
July 24th, 2020, 05:25 PM
You didn't understand my post. The Vanderbilt reference was a side note.

This thread is specifically about the SOUTHLAND CONFERENCE playing football. SE Louisiana playing Nicholls State in front of no fans this fall is not generating any revenue. Therefore not playing that game due to safety reasons is not causing either school to lose money.Got ya! But you're forgetting one important thing, "The players". Football still is a contact sport and every southland conference school is from a hotbed state. Where the virus is spiking because of intentional stupidity , not following the scientists recommendations or opening too soon.

NY Crusader 2010
July 24th, 2020, 05:27 PM
Got ya! But you're forgetting one important thing, "The players". Football still is a contact sport and every southland conference school is from a hotbed state. Where the virus is spiking because of intentional stupidity , not following the scientists recommendations or opening too soon.

Good point. But I'm not forgetting that -- hence why I find it baffling that all the conferences based in hotbed states are going full throttle while conferences in states that are more or less out of the woods have already shut it down.

mvfcfan
July 24th, 2020, 05:41 PM
The chances of dying or even being hospitalized if you are your 20's is practically zilch. If you are playing D1 college football you are in pretty good shape. This virus kills weak individuals. I'd be more concerned about certain coaches and trainers than the players.

bluedog
July 24th, 2020, 06:05 PM
Good point. But I'm not forgetting that -- hence why I find it baffling that all the conferences based in hotbed states are going full throttle while conferences in states that are more or less out of the woods have already shut it down.They are all located in the south. That should explain everything that you're baffled about.

ejjones
July 24th, 2020, 11:46 PM
Non televised, empty stadium FCS games makes zero sense to me...

I’d put my bet on spring with tv & fans (some degree) over Fall.

Puddin Tane
July 26th, 2020, 02:02 AM
Our defense didn’t get within 6 ft of anybody last year, social distancing trendsetters

Panther88
July 26th, 2020, 04:53 AM
The chances of dying or even being hospitalized if you are your 20's is practically zilch. If you are playing D1 college football you are in pretty good shape. This virus kills weak individuals. I'd be more concerned about certain coaches and trainers than the players.

And you are employed by the federal gov't and/or CDC to arrive at this certifiable expert conclusion, correct, Dr mvfcfan MD? Or, are you currently receiving grant $$$ for covid45 research to make that stolid claim? xconfusedx

A smidgen of those super-elite athletes you describe died in past years when simply participating in summer/fall practice so it's nothing short of amazing how I just read about a super athlete being hospitalized and relegated to a 25 day medically induced coma to save his life. This was a documented case earlier in the year 2020.

doctors remain unsure why the athlete was at more risk, especially with such good health and no preexisting conditions,

That is very troubling how the weaponized virus causes differing responses in many. My heart seriously goes out to those on ventilators and those w/ underlying health issues.

cx500d
July 26th, 2020, 08:17 AM
Our defense didn’t get within 6 ft of anybody last year, social distancing trendsetters
OK, that deserves rep

McCowboys
July 27th, 2020, 04:37 PM

xlolx

Daytripper
July 27th, 2020, 06:38 PM

Except against us.