PDA

View Full Version : Big South football moving on without Hampton

bluedog
July 23rd, 2020, 07:24 PM
Maybe it's just me. But this seems like a pretty F'd up marriage.

Hampton chose not to participate in fall sports this season, due to concerns over COVID-19, but life goes on for the Big South Conference. The league has announced that play in all sports will begin on or after September 3.

Shortly after Hampton announced that it will suspend all fall sports the Big South released this statement.

https://hbcugameday.com/2020/07/23/big-south-football-moving-on-without-hampton/

NY Crusader 2010
July 23rd, 2020, 07:32 PM
This is a nothing burger. Hampton chose not to play out of safety concerns for its own student athletes. Meanwhile, their conference opted to continue to harbor fall competition for its member schools. If Hampton wanted to play, they could've played. But they're not. All parties do what's best for themselves. Who knows which Big South member will be next to pull the plug on their own athletic competition -- chances are HU won't be the only one.

bluedog
July 23rd, 2020, 07:36 PM
This is a nothing burger. Hampton chose not to play out of safety concerns for its own student athletes. Meanwhile, their conference opted to continue to harbor fall competition for its member schools. If Hampton wanted to play, they could've played. But they're not. All parties do what's best for themselves. Who knows which Big South member will be next to pull the plug on their own athletic competition -- chances are HU won't be the only one.Every single time that useless phrase "nothing burger" has been used. It always ends up with a big turd on somebody's face.

DEX
July 24th, 2020, 12:57 AM
I'm sure Hampton knew they only spoke for themselves. If they wanted everyone else in the BSC to follow suit they should have waited for the conference meeting. I suspect all parties are good with their respective decisions.

Professor
July 24th, 2020, 08:23 AM
They don't have any athletes on campus. No players , no sports. It's really quite simple

https://hbcugameday.com/2020/07/04/hampton-will-remain-online-only-for-the-fall/

Anthony215
July 24th, 2020, 09:57 AM
Hampton knew they couldn't protect the students returning to campus from the virus and they acted responsibly. I can't knock them for that decision, this virus is bigger than a 60 minute football game. Testing costs, extra traveling cost and how can you house athletes but not regular students played a huge part in their decision to cancel fall sports.

wapiti
July 24th, 2020, 10:01 AM
Hampton should receive a L for every game and the opponent a W. Hampton is forfeiting every game this year.

Covid-19 is very treatable and even without treatment over 99% recover.
and unless Hampton has players over the age of 70. None of them are vulnerable.

Klandbulldog
July 24th, 2020, 01:35 PM
What about the parents & other family members? Particularly the ethnic groups that are hit harder?

nodak651
July 24th, 2020, 02:54 PM
What about the parents & other family members? Particularly the ethnic groups that are hit harder?
They social distance and avoid unnecessary in-person contact, as they should regardless. And they are off at college, not living with them..

Professor
July 24th, 2020, 03:14 PM
They social distance and avoid unnecessary in-person contact, as they should regardless. And they are off at college, not living with them..

If only the other 147K people who have died from this knew this. Maybe the 4.12 million who are infected should have read this

unknown3
July 24th, 2020, 04:18 PM

So basically lock the kids in a dorm and not allow them to go around family until the season is over? Do you all really not see how dumb you sound lol. Honest question. Football matter that much? Then again you're in north dakota so I get it.

Panther88
July 24th, 2020, 05:38 PM
If only the other 147K people who have died from this knew this. Maybe the 4.12 million who are infected should have read this

lol xlolx Right. Some folk... xsmhx

"wannabe demigod" - knows everything about everything but is a bona fide expert in nothing(ness).

bluedog
July 24th, 2020, 06:07 PM
lol xlolx Right. Some folk... xsmhx

"wannabe demigod" - knows everything about everything but is a bona fide expert in nothing(ness).Pretty muchhttps://media3.giphy.com/media/VhneMg6g1xrDiEpVUu/giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7ju7rrz81pdjkqx1sin63biv6vjzb agy0m8kz7aoq&rid=giphy.gif

ccd494
July 27th, 2020, 01:43 PM
Monmouth is out, too: https://monmouthhawks.com/news/2020/7/27/monmouth-announces-decision-on-fall-athletics-plan.aspx

NY Crusader 2010
July 27th, 2020, 02:17 PM
Monmouth is out, too: https://monmouthhawks.com/news/2020/7/27/monmouth-announces-decision-on-fall-athletics-plan.aspx

Makes sense. A school in a state that's basically out of the woods with regards to COVID cancels football. If you're a NJ resident, as of today you're more likely to die by getting drunk and falling off the top row of Monmouth's football stadium than by contracting CV-19.

Meanwhile all the schools located in hot spots continue to forge ahead with football...

ccd494
July 27th, 2020, 02:53 PM
Makes sense. A school in a state that's basically out of the woods with regards to COVID cancels football. If you're a NJ resident, as of today you're more likely to die by getting drunk and falling off the top row of Monmouth's football stadium than by contracting CV-19.

Meanwhile all the schools located in hot spots continue to forge ahead with football...

This disregards the fact that NJ is "out of the woods" because they have religiously restricted large gatherings and not taken risks like having football. (I'd quibble with ANYONE being out of the woods, frankly, but that is beside the point).

You act like it is magic that some places have reduced the spread, and that the spread being reduced is a reason to stop social distancing. I think the spread slowing in places that have been more strict is evidence that being strict works, and is a damn good reason to keep being strict until this thing is well and truly over.

unknown3
July 27th, 2020, 04:40 PM

Those same hot spots are just now removing confederate flags and statues. It's the south, there is nothing else to do during the fall. Doesn't matter because from looking at MLB it's unlikely any of them will be playing when it's said and done.

NY Crusader 2010
July 27th, 2020, 07:56 PM
This disregards the fact that NJ is "out of the woods" because they have religiously restricted large gatherings and not taken risks like having football. (I'd quibble with ANYONE being out of the woods, frankly, but that is beside the point).

You act like it is magic that some places have reduced the spread, and that the spread being reduced is a reason to stop social distancing. I think the spread slowing in places that have been more strict is evidence that being strict works, and is a damn good reason to keep being strict until this thing is well and truly over.

It's not magic, it's biology. Death rates aren't at near-zero in NY and NJ because we're doing great at social distancing relative to everyone else. It's because of herd immunity and/or the virus mutating into a less deadly version of itself. I live in the Bronx -- CV-19 headquarters -- no one has taken distancing seriously since about mid-May. Masks are on, but that's about it. And people SHOULD be wearing masks. But there's no reason college football fans can't show up and WEAR MASKS at a stadium this fall.

When it comes to the Sun Belt states, sure testing is up which is PART of the reason why the number of cases keep growing extraordinarily. But in many states hospitalizations and deaths are still on the upswing. Not to the tune of the same raw numbers as we saw in NY, NJ and CT -- but the upward side of the bell curve is not where anyone wants to be. These are the states where preventive measures to flatten the curve must be implemented.

Professor
July 28th, 2020, 11:05 AM
Welp A&T won't be taking Hampton's place

WestCoastAggie
July 28th, 2020, 11:09 AM
https://twitter.com/MoCarterWZDX/status/1288120112919146496

walliver
July 28th, 2020, 11:47 AM
PC should be available. They have had 6 games cancelled so far.

bluedog
July 28th, 2020, 02:54 PM
Welp A&T won't be taking Hampton's placeBut I thought the MEAC hadn't said the season was cancel? Why would you be trying to fill another slot if you weren't told your season was cancel?https://media2.giphy.com/media/TEcW5rhdWYZsdQLHKW/giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7ilygh0e323h3gkd307ndhlht0afg 9lr7sq3y10r3&rid=giphy.gif

Professor
July 28th, 2020, 03:02 PM
But I thought the MEAC hadn't said the season was cancel? Why would you be trying to fill another slot if you weren't told your season was cancel?https://media2.giphy.com/media/TEcW5rhdWYZsdQLHKW/giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7ilygh0e323h3gkd307ndhlht0afg 9lr7sq3y10r3&rid=giphy.gif

“We had brief conversations with A&T about doing the same thing, but with the MEAC still looking at the possibility of a spring season…they’re not able to,” Kallander said.

Sources tell HBCU Gameday that discussions were ongoing through the weekend before the MEAC (https://hbcugameday.com/2020/07/25/north-carolina-at-still-has-a-path-for-football-in-2020/) stepped in stating that it spring football was on the table.

“That’s completely understandable, ” Kallander said. “That would have been something that we would have been interested in. But respect what they need to do with their current conference.”

https://hbcugameday.com/2020/07/28/at-football-to-sit-out-as-meac-ponders-spring-ball/

bluedog
July 28th, 2020, 03:07 PM
“We had brief conversations with A&T about doing the same thing, but with the MEAC still looking at the possibility of a spring season…they’re not able to,” Kallander said.

https://hbcugameday.com/2020/07/28/at-football-to-sit-out-as-meac-ponders-spring-ball/You forgot something

Sources tell HBCU Gameday that discussions were ongoing through the weekend before the MEAC stepped in stating that it planned to play football next spring.https://media3.giphy.com/media/elhmwUMsAUbScKLLzl/giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7ilygh0e323h3gkd307ndhlht0afg 9lr7sq3y10r3&rid=giphy.gif

Professor
July 28th, 2020, 03:08 PM
You forgot something

Sources tell HBCU Gameday that discussions were ongoing through the weekend before the MEAC stepped in stating that it planned to play football next spring.https://media3.giphy.com/media/elhmwUMsAUbScKLLzl/giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7ilygh0e323h3gkd307ndhlht0afg 9lr7sq3y10r3&rid=giphy.gif

Where has the MEAC annouced it was playing Spring Ball

bluedog
July 28th, 2020, 03:10 PM
Where has the MEAC annouced it was playing Spring BallIs that a question or a statement?

Professor
July 28th, 2020, 03:22 PM
Is that a question or a statement?

Question , where has the MEAC annouced that they are playing Spring Ball?

bluedog
July 28th, 2020, 03:24 PM
Question , where has the MEAC annouced that they are playing Spring Ball?Okay I'm confused. That was my argument when you were so adamant that the meac "hadn't " said that they cancel the season. So are you making my argument for me now?

Professor
July 28th, 2020, 03:28 PM
Okay I'm confused. That was my argument when you were so adamant that the meac "hadn't " said that they cancel the season. So are you making my argument for me now?

That is the reason the MEAC isn't allowing A&T to play this fall in the Big South, Because they are playing Spring Ball. My question is , where is the annoucement

bluedog
July 28th, 2020, 03:36 PM
That is the reason the MEAC isn't allowing A&T to play this fall in the Big South, Because they are playing Spring Ball. My question is , where is the annoucementGoogle is your friend

MSUBobcat
July 28th, 2020, 03:44 PM

I know the season is a ways off yet, but NY, NJ and Conn. are ADDING states to the list that must quarantine upon arrival, not reducing them (added Delaware back just today). What does a season for a team in one of those 3 states look like if the quarantine requirement hasn't been removed by October? Home games are impossible because the opponent can't come 2 weeks prior to quarantine. I suppose you could play your away games and quarantine upon returning to NJ, but the student-athletes would basically be in quarantine for the entire season except for their travel time for road games. Monmouth basically would have to do the opposite of everyone else: cancel conference games and play only OOC, as their first 5 games were scheduled against teams from one of the allowable travel states-NJ, NY, ME, NY and NY. Interestingly, there's 10 non-Ivy FCS in the tri-state area....

bonarae
July 28th, 2020, 05:44 PM
Meanwhile... Campbell's HC says scheduling every other week makes more sense.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20200728134345325024404&ref=rec&tm=&src=FCS

Laker
July 28th, 2020, 06:35 PM
Question , where has the MEAC annouced that they are playing Spring Ball?

According to this, from five hours ago, the decision is yet to be made.

https://hbcugameday.com/2020/07/28/at-football-to-sit-out-as-meac-ponders-spring-ball/

NY Crusader 2010
July 28th, 2020, 06:38 PM
MSU Bobcat -- good points. Monmouth, for example, probably wouldn't be able to play ANYONE in their conference due to the state-mandated quarantine.

But it would definitely be possible for FCS schools in PA, NJ, NY, CT, MA, NH and ME all to play each other if they wanted, I believe.

cx500d
July 28th, 2020, 11:06 PM
I know the season is a ways off yet, but NY, NJ and Conn. are ADDING states to the list that must quarantine upon arrival, not reducing them (added Delaware back just today). What does a season for a team in one of those 3 states look like if the quarantine requirement hasn't been removed by October? Home games are impossible because the opponent can't come 2 weeks prior to quarantine. I suppose you could play your away games and quarantine upon returning to NJ, but the student-athletes would basically be in quarantine for the entire season except for their travel time for road games. Monmouth basically would have to do the opposite of everyone else: cancel conference games and play only OOC, as their first 5 games were scheduled against teams from one of the allowable travel states-NJ, NY, ME, NY and NY. Interestingly, there's 10 non-Ivy FCS in the tri-state area....
No point talking about Monmouth, they ain't playin'