PDA

View Full Version : Conference to Indy

Lion1983
July 14th, 2020, 10:45 AM
If all, or most conferences suspended or canceled football, would the NCAA allow schools to play as independent only for 1 season?

For example, if there is a couple of schools in each conference that wants to play anyway, could there be a quick scheduling of different schools, that dont normally play each other, be able to fill a schedule, even if its 6-8 games?

POD Knows
July 14th, 2020, 11:49 AM
If all, or most conferences suspended or canceled football, would the NCAA allow schools to play as independent only for 1 season?

For example, if there is a couple of schools in each conference that wants to play anyway, could there be a quick scheduling of different schools, that dont normally play each other, be able to fill a schedule, even if its 6-8 games?
That is a great question and it would be great if possible

walliver
July 14th, 2020, 12:15 PM
The NCAA only requires a conference to move up a (sub)division. As far as I know there is no requirement for any team to play in a conference.

Where you might have a problem is where a team plays in the fall and then the conference plays in the spring.

WestCoastAggie
July 14th, 2020, 12:21 PM
This is happening on the D-2 level as there are a few SIAC schools that are seeking to complete a 2020 football schedule.

Anthony215
July 14th, 2020, 12:23 PM
If the seasons are cancelled that would make the most sense allow everyone to play as an independent giving teams the chance to still play and just play close to home within their state. The NC schools could play all play each other just in state there are 13 schools right there with Elon, A&T, NCCU, UNC, NC State, Wake Forrest, Appalachian State, WCU, ECU, Gardner Webb, Charlotte, Duke and Campbell. Florida has FAMU, BCU, FAU, FIU, FSU, Florida, USF, UCF, Miami for their one season exemption. Virginia would be pretty competitive as well with UVA, V-Tech, Liberty, William & Mary, JMU, Hampton, ODU, VMI, NSU & Richmond

aceinthehole
July 14th, 2020, 12:46 PM
Schools can schedule whoever they want in absence of a complete conference schedule - but those schools won't be eligible for a conference-delegated AQ bid if the conference "cancels" the season.

Sitting Bull
July 14th, 2020, 12:46 PM
I wouldn’t put any stake into this season. It’s become far too political. Face it, one side wants as much upheaval as possible, which includes canceling nearly everything. This or anything else won’t be resolved until after November.

ST_Lawson
July 14th, 2020, 01:25 PM
Face it, one side wants as much upheaval as possible, which includes canceling nearly everything.

Nobody actually wants upheaval (outside of a few fringe anarchists), but if I start explaining what people on the "other side" want, I think the discussion would get too political for a football forum.

Go Green
July 14th, 2020, 01:39 PM
I wouldn’t put any stake into this season. It’s become far too political. Face it, one side wants as much upheaval as possible, which includes canceling nearly everything. This or anything else won’t be resolved until after November.

My friend, I can assure you that if football is canceled, EVERYONE is going to be unhappy.

dbackjon
July 14th, 2020, 03:11 PM
Since this isn't the political board, I will just respond with a xlolx

NDB
July 14th, 2020, 03:34 PM
The NCAA only requires a conference to move up a (sub)division. As far as I know there is no requirement for any team to play in a conference.

Yes, there are.

Not sure what the specific rule is for football.

lionsrking2
July 14th, 2020, 04:30 PM

Tinfoil alert.

NY Crusader 2010
July 14th, 2020, 08:51 PM
Schools can schedule whoever they want in absence of a complete conference schedule - but those schools won't be eligible for a conference-delegated AQ bid if the conference "cancels" the season.

AQ bid to what? Do people really think a national playoff tournament is happening?

Sitting Bull
July 14th, 2020, 09:13 PM
Enjoy the season. Keep us posted on all your score alerts.

Sitting Bull
July 14th, 2020, 09:16 PM
Tinfoil alert.

Delusion alert!

OhioHen
July 15th, 2020, 07:01 AM
Yes, there are.

Not sure what the specific rule is for football.

Yes, there are requirements to be a member of specific conferences. But I believe walliver was pointing out that the NCAA doesn't require teams to be in a conference (see Notre Dame, BYU, Liberty), except for divisional move ups.

dgtw
July 15th, 2020, 08:07 AM
If we do have playoffs and a fall season, I wonder if the NCAA would let six “lone wolves” from suspended conferences form a football only league for one year only and get an AQ. (I hope that question makes sense).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NY Crusader 2010
July 15th, 2020, 08:56 AM
If we do have playoffs and a fall season, I wonder if the NCAA would let six “lone wolves” from suspended conferences form a football only league for one year only and get an AQ. (I hope that question makes sense).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highly unlikely. And doubt anyone would waste the time to create a temporary league just to maybe secure an AQ for a playoff tournament that's almost guaranteed to not happen.

Lion1983
July 15th, 2020, 10:17 AM
My point is, it may be a way fg or schools to keep football afloat having a few home games, maybe.

Playoffs are more than likely out of the question anyway.

Gil Dobie
July 15th, 2020, 10:27 AM
Montana and Dakota schools could play a round-robin. There are not many active cases in those states.

walliver
July 15th, 2020, 10:46 AM
Right now the SEC, ACC and SoCon are planning on playing football this fall.

If these conferences begin cancelling seasons, individual teams will need to think about whether to play this fall, or wait and see if a spring season develops.

NY Crusader 2010
July 15th, 2020, 11:31 AM
My point is, it may be a way fg or schools to keep football afloat having a few home games, maybe.

Playoffs are more than likely out of the question anyway.

Another thing to consider -- if your conference cancelled football this fall but you still want to try and put together a schedule from scratch, you're probably only looking at the opportunity to play a couple of games, at best. Chances are your school would be better off hoping that your league plays in the spring and joining forces with them then.

Example: if you're Georgetown, you might be able to work out a 3-or-4 game schedule this fall with other teams in the same situation. However, wouldn't you be better off waiting to see if the Patriot League plays in the spring and be guaranteed a full conference schedule plus the chance for an OOC game or two against the Ivy or whoever else ends up trying to play spring?

walliver
July 15th, 2020, 01:15 PM
Well for Wofford, if we get to play Furman and the Citadel, that's all a lot of fans care about. We could finish this season before mid-September arrives.

jajfitz
July 15th, 2020, 01:59 PM
Another thing to consider -- if your conference cancelled football this fall but you still want to try and put together a schedule from scratch, you're probably only looking at the opportunity to play a couple of games, at best. Chances are your school would be better off hoping that your league plays in the spring and joining forces with them then.

Example: if you're Georgetown, you might be able to work out a 3-or-4 game schedule this fall with other teams in the same situation. However, wouldn't you be better off waiting to see if the Patriot League plays in the spring and be guaranteed a full conference schedule plus the chance for an OOC game or two against the Ivy or whoever else ends up trying to play spring?

When would you say that the Patriot, or any other conference that moves football to the spring, has to announce it? Georgetown makes a mini schedule vs. SoCon schools that lost games vs. the SEC or ACC. then around November 1 the Patriot says they will play in the spring. The Hoyas play five fall games then 11 games in the spring?

NY Crusader 2010
July 15th, 2020, 07:52 PM
When would you say that the Patriot, or any other conference that moves football to the spring, has to announce it? Georgetown makes a mini schedule vs. SoCon schools that lost games vs. the SEC or ACC. then around November 1 the Patriot says they will play in the spring. The Hoyas play five fall games then 11 games in the spring?

I'm pretty sure the NCAA wouldn't allow a school to have two football regular seasons within one academic calendar year. Pretty sure it would have to be one or the other. I could be wrong.

As far as the Patriot announcing whether or not spring football will be played, my only guess is that the decision won't be rushed. So it wouldn't shock me if a decision isn't made until November or December.

JayJ79
July 15th, 2020, 09:56 PM
If individual conferences (but not the NCAA) canceled their football season (and made a conference rule that their member schools couldn't play football that season), I suppose schools that wanted to play could "go independent".
However, there is nothing that would require the conference to re-admit those schools once things returned to normal (if that ever happens).

jajfitz
July 16th, 2020, 07:24 AM
I'm pretty sure the NCAA wouldn't allow a school to have two football regular seasons within one academic calendar year. Pretty sure it would have to be one or the other. I could be wrong.

As far as the Patriot announcing whether or not spring football will be played, my only guess is that the decision won't be rushed. So it wouldn't shock me if a decision isn't made until November or December.

That's kinda my point. Georgetown goes along almost positive there will be no season at all in league play and plays some schools THEN December 1st the Patriot League approves spring ball, are they screwed?

NY Crusader 2010
July 16th, 2020, 09:50 AM
That's kinda my point. Georgetown goes along almost positive there will be no season at all in league play and plays some schools THEN December 1st the Patriot League approves spring ball, are they screwed?

My best guess is yes -- if they played a fall regular season schedule, my understanding is that they could only conduct the traditional practice schedule in the spring.

NY Crusader 2010
July 16th, 2020, 09:51 AM
If individual conferences (but not the NCAA) canceled their football season (and made a conference rule that their member schools couldn't play football that season), I suppose schools that wanted to play could "go independent".
However, there is nothing that would require the conference to re-admit those schools once things returned to normal (if that ever happens).

Re-admit implies that the school left the league. No one would be leaving any league, they would merely be playing a non-conference schedule since league contests are cancelled...

So, no, if Georgetown, Fordham or Holy Cross decided to play a handful of regular season football games this fall, that doesn't mean they would be "leaving" the Patriot League.

aceinthehole
July 16th, 2020, 02:56 PM
Spring football isn't a choice for any conferences yet. The individuals conferences don't have the final say on this decision.

Until the NCAA grants permission (which I think is doubtful), conference will not be able to schedule a Spring football season.

I think expectations for Spring football are very premature, especially when all the FBS conferences are still planning on playing a Fall season (albeit a reduced number of games). I would expect the NCAA to punt any any requests from FCS for Spring football and predict they will only address eligibility and scholarship waivers, etc. for Fall 2021.

NY Crusader 2010
July 16th, 2020, 08:47 PM
Very possible that the Ivy and Patriot Leagues darn well know there will be no spring football. But leaving the theoretical option open appeases alum to a greater extent in the short term. And then sometime in November or December there will be another "announcement" stating that unfortunately there will be no football this academic year and we're sorry for the seniors blah blah blah. And the Ivy will be first to announce followed by the Patriot three days later...

JayJ79
July 16th, 2020, 09:24 PM
Re-admit implies that the school left the league. No one would be leaving any league, they would merely be playing a non-conference schedule since league contests are cancelled...

So, no, if Georgetown, Fordham or Holy Cross decided to play a handful of regular season football games this fall, that doesn't mean they would be "leaving" the Patriot League.

can't be "independent" if you're part of a conference.