PDA

View Full Version : FCS schools that may close or drop football due to Covid-19?

Sader87
April 21st, 2020, 11:44 PM
Hate to say it...but it's going to happen.....

bonarae
April 22nd, 2020, 05:30 AM
Some HBCUs? Else, not happening in our subdivision.

Laker
April 22nd, 2020, 07:13 AM
FCS casualty list since last season: Jacksonville

D2 & D3 have been hit worse. There will be more.

ST_Lawson
April 22nd, 2020, 07:59 AM
At this point it's looking like probably smaller private colleges are going to get the worst hit. There's a few that might be FCS, but most are probably DII and DIII (in my area, mostly DIII).

ysubigred
April 22nd, 2020, 08:34 AM
Hell with all the $ Harvard got they might join the SEC :(

100%GRIZ
April 22nd, 2020, 08:50 AM
They must not be getting enough $ from china!

lionsrking2
April 22nd, 2020, 08:56 AM

You mean U of Texas

walliver
April 22nd, 2020, 10:10 AM
Jacksonville dropping football was not COVID related.
The private schools in the SoCon should all weather the storm.
In the Big South, Charleston Southern has almost no endowment (much of what they had was embezzled) so they may struggle. But the school is actively promoted as an evangelical school and has a good niche and should survive. Gardner Webb also fits into that niche. Campbell has an osteopathic medical school and law school and should be in good shape. Presbyterian dropped scholarships for non-COVID reasons, and reportedly has some underlying financial problems which likely will be exacerbated by COVID issues.
Most, if not all, states will end this year with massive deficits related to COVID, and college athletics will be an easy target to cut, so public schools will be under tremendous strain.
As for HBCU's, Bethune-Cookman seems to have major issues and may not survive, at least not in its current form.

FormerPokeCenter
April 22nd, 2020, 10:14 AM
You mean U of Texas

A&M ain't gonna let that happen.

Outsider1
April 22nd, 2020, 10:18 AM
As far as football is concerned, I don't see it happening here. That doesn't mean that it couldn't happen with other smaller sports at any given time. The bigger issue is how the NCAA works with schools and conferences with sports requirements if any sport is dropped and that puts a particular school under the DI requirement. Does the NCAA automatically drop that school to a DII classification temporarily? I don't think that would be the route, but do we see some more regional and interdivisional/interconference scheduling for a while? Are there other scenarios that could come into play?

lionsrking2
April 22nd, 2020, 11:03 AM
At this point it's looking like probably smaller private colleges are going to get the worst hit. There's a few that might be FCS, but most are probably DII and DIII (in my area, mostly DIII).

Some D-3 institutions may or may not survive the overall hit, but seems they would be more likely to keep football than drop it. No football = fewer paying students.

FormerPokeCenter
April 22nd, 2020, 11:46 AM
Attendance may take a hit, but - honestly - how many schools is that really gonna negative affect?

WestCoastAggie
April 22nd, 2020, 02:24 PM
Jacksonville dropping football was not COVID related.
The private schools in the SoCon should all weather the storm.
In the Big South, Charleston Southern has almost no endowment (much of what they had was embezzled) so they may struggle. But the school is actively promoted as an evangelical school and has a good niche and should survive. Gardner Webb also fits into that niche. Campbell has an osteopathic medical school and law school and should be in good shape. Presbyterian dropped scholarships for non-COVID reasons, and reportedly has some underlying financial problems which likely will be exacerbated by COVID issues.
Most, if not all, states will end this year with massive deficits related to COVID, and college athletics will be an easy target to cut, so public schools will be under tremendous strain.
As for HBCU's, Bethune-Cookman seems to have major issues and may not survive, at least not in its current form.

Bethune-Cookman got bailed out by the state and due to Covid-19, their SACSCOC probation was extended. With the money received from Florida, their accrediation should be upheld now.

The only school that could be in danger from the MEAC would be SC State, who reportedly had only 926 students in the spring semester before Covid-19 hit.

No schools in the SWAC are gonna close either. Not to mention, the federal dollars given to all colleges from the Cares Act will help bigly. But when it comes to the D-2 schools, that's where it's gonna get prickly.

MR. CHICKEN
April 22nd, 2020, 02:46 PM
.....HERE'S UH TASTE...UH THIN'S TA COME........BRAWK!

https://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/2020/04/22/johns-hopkins-cuts-pay-warns-layoffs-wake-virus/3003710001/?utm_source=delawareonline-Coronavirus%20Watch&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=baseline_greeting&utm_term=list_article_thumb (https://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/2020/04/22/johns-hopkins-cuts-pay-warns-layoffs-wake-virus/3003710001/?utm_source=delawareonline-Coronavirus%20Watch&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=baseline_greeting&utm_term=list_article_thumb)

cx500d
April 22nd, 2020, 02:49 PM
.....HERE'S UH TASTE...UH THIN'S TA COME........BRAWK!

https://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/2020/04/22/johns-hopkins-cuts-pay-warns-layoffs-wake-virus/3003710001/?utm_source=delawareonline-Coronavirus%20Watch&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=baseline_greeting&utm_term=list_article_thumb (https://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/2020/04/22/johns-hopkins-cuts-pay-warns-layoffs-wake-virus/3003710001/?utm_source=delawareonline-Coronavirus%20Watch&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=baseline_greeting&utm_term=list_article_thumb)

Makes sense, they only have a $6B endowment

Baron Sardonicus
April 22nd, 2020, 03:05 PM
Can we not do this?

DFW HOYA
April 22nd, 2020, 03:43 PM
Division II Urbana (OH): closed yesterday.

https://www.wcpo.com/sports/high-school-sports/urbana-universitys-closure-significantly-impacts-several-cincinnati-area-athletes (https://www.wcpo.com/sports/high-school-sports/urbana-universitys-closure-significantly-impacts-several-cincinnati-area-athletes)

mvfcfan
April 23rd, 2020, 10:23 AM
Eastern and Western Illinois were the first two I thought of. The state is a financial disaster already. Indiana State is also a minor concern. We already have a lot of people that want to can our football program anyways.

Fordham
April 23rd, 2020, 12:44 PM
Not sure what the other PL schools think but I'm worried it will be considered at Fordham, particularly if school remains closed through the Fall.

DFW HOYA
April 23rd, 2020, 12:54 PM
Not sure what the other PL schools think but I'm worried it will be considered at Fordham, particularly if school remains closed through the Fall.

Fordham's problems may be more existential than sports. How many high school seniors are accepting their offer this year? If they do, what happens to the revenue Fordham won't collect from room and board? How many current students don't return, or defer a year, and thus don't pay tuition?

10458 is right in the middle of it.

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/downloads/pdf/imm/covid-19-cases-by-zip-04232020-1.pdf

blackbeard
April 23rd, 2020, 03:25 PM
College has become a big business money grab. Since the federal government took over the student loan program, college budgets have become bloated with students taking on the burden for these rising costs in student debt. Eventually someone is going to make the taxpayers bail them out - wait and see.

C19 might cause some of this to change and there might be some casualties along the way - so be it. I'd hate it to happen to schools or programs I like, but at some point the absurd escalation of tuition rates has got to stop.

citdog
April 23rd, 2020, 05:03 PM
College has become a big business money grab. Since the federal government took over the student loan program, college budgets have become bloated with students taking on the burden for these rising costs in student debt. Eventually someone is going to make the taxpayers bail them out - wait and see.

C19 might cause some of this to change and there might be some casualties along the way - so be it. I'd hate it to happen to schools or programs I like, but at some point the absurd escalation of tuition rates has got to stop.

But what will Gender Studies SJW's do???

dgtw
April 23rd, 2020, 06:22 PM
Dropping football and restarting it after things calm down would be difficult. So it would probably be a last resort decision. More likely they will drop golf, tennis, swimming, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DFW HOYA
April 23rd, 2020, 06:29 PM
I'd hate it to happen to schools or programs I like, but at some point the absurd escalation of tuition rates has got to stop.

The recent escalation is heightened but not absurd.

"Tuition has historically risen about 3% a year, according to the College Board. During the Great Recession, declining public funds caused tuition to skyrocket. At private four-year schools, average tuition and fees rose 26% over the last decade. Tuition plus fees at four-year public schools, which were harder hit, jumped 35% over the same period."

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/24/why-college-tuition-keeps-rising.html

neverobeyed
April 23rd, 2020, 07:41 PM
Eastern and Western Illinois were the first two I thought of. The state is a financial disaster already. Indiana State is also a minor concern. We already have a lot of people that want to can our football program anyways.

Illinois schools were my first thought as well. They've had money struggles lately, across the board. But football tends to fund other sports, generally, so it would seem that to lose football means shutting the entire athletics program.

cx500d
April 23rd, 2020, 08:47 PM

"Tuition has historically risen about 3% a year, according to the College Board. During the Great Recession, declining public funds caused tuition to skyrocket. At private four-year schools, average tuition and fees rose 26% over the last decade. Tuition plus fees at four-year public schools, which were harder hit, jumped 35% over the same period."

OK, when you do the math.... It states historical is 3% per year.

Take worst case, 35%/decade for public schools = roughly 3% / year annualized. So what is the point?

katss07
April 23rd, 2020, 09:39 PM
Dropping football and restarting it after things calm down would be difficult. So it would probably be a last resort decision. More likely they will drop golf, tennis, swimming, etc.

Maybe I’m completely off here, but didn’t FBS program UAB drop it when they were in some sort of financial trouble?

lionsrking2
April 23rd, 2020, 09:52 PM
Maybe I’m completely off here, but didn’t FBS program UAB drop it when they were in some sort of financial trouble?

They dropped it more due to politics in the U Alabama system but quickly reinstated.

ST_Lawson
April 24th, 2020, 08:05 AM

This is a huge reason, at least for WIU. We received more money from the state 20 years ago than we did last year, and if you adjust for inflation, we get roughly half as much money. As $ from the state has decreased, schools have had to increase tuition to make up the difference.

WileECoyote06
April 24th, 2020, 08:16 AM

Yeah! Someone who knows what they're talking about! repped.

clenz
April 24th, 2020, 08:28 AM
Illinois schools were my first thought as well. They've had money struggles lately, across the board. But football tends to fund other sports, generally, so it would seem that to lose football means shutting the entire athletics program.
I would guess - having done some reesarch on the basic financials of those two schools for other topics that football in no way generates any revenue for those schools. Or, outside of crazy accounting tricks that athletic departments use, even truly come close to even.

WIU's athletic booster/scholarship club set record giving levels about 3 years ago with about 700k in donations - and lets assign that all 700k came in only because of football.
Say WIU gets 600k for an FBS pay day
The extremely limited gate revenue

Maybe the WIU football program "makes" 1.5-1.7m per year.

Now cost of going to WIU is about 18-20k for a full ride
63 scholarships cost WIU about 1.2 million per year
Now add in travel costs
Now add in uniform/equipment cost - because a school like WIU isn't getting an ADIDAS/Nike deal where they get **** for free or get paid for it like NDSU, SDSU, UNI, Montana, etc.
Now add in coaching salaries (though WIU is amazingly low on that)
Now add in facility cost
Now add in game day staff cost

According to data given to the federal government WIU spends 3.1 million dollars per year on football, which, I could believe.

They also claim the general 3.1 million per year in revenue.

They don't. The reality is for most FCS schools football might lose money but in terms of exposure, marketing, alumni interaction, donations because of, etc. football is a required "evil".

There are, however, a large number of FCS schools that have football simply because they had it for decades and because they think they have too. The reality is places like WIU, and if we are honest with our selves, a number of other FCS schools wouldn't see much/any negative impact from dropping the sport.

cx500d
April 24th, 2020, 08:28 AM
I already debunked this stat in post 26. This skyrocketing tuition growth is essentially the same as historical growth. Do the math.

lionsrking2
April 24th, 2020, 09:00 AM
I would guess - having done some reesarch on the basic financials of those two schools for other topics that football in no way generates any revenue for those schools. Or, outside of crazy accounting tricks that athletic departments use, even truly come close to even.

WIU's athletic booster/scholarship club set record giving levels about 3 years ago with about 700k in donations - and lets assign that all 700k came in only because of football.
Say WIU gets 600k for an FBS pay day
The extremely limited gate revenue

Maybe the WIU football program "makes" 1.5-1.7m per year.

Now cost of going to WIU is about 18-20k for a full ride
63 scholarships cost WIU about 1.2 million per year
Now add in travel costs
Now add in uniform/equipment cost - because a school like WIU isn't getting an ADIDAS/Nike deal where they get **** for free or get paid for it like NDSU, SDSU, UNI, Montana, etc.
Now add in coaching salaries (though WIU is amazingly low on that)
Now add in facility cost
Now add in game day staff cost

According to data given to the federal government WIU spends 3.1 million dollars per year on football, which, I could believe.

They also claim the general 3.1 million per year in revenue.

They don't. The reality is for most FCS schools football might lose money but in terms of exposure, marketing, alumni interaction, donations because of, etc. football is a required "evil".

There are, however, a large number of FCS schools that have football simply because they had it for decades and because they think they have too. The reality is places like WIU, and if we are honest with our selves, a number of other FCS schools wouldn't see much/any negative impact from dropping the sport.

To what entity are they paying the 1.2 million for scholarships?

clenz
April 24th, 2020, 09:02 AM
To what entity are they paying the 1.2 million for scholarships?
The school.

Athletic budget is a separate book than the university book.

The school charges the athletic department for the scholarships, thus it's 1.2m cost to the athletic department.

WileECoyote06
April 24th, 2020, 09:32 AM
I already debunked this stat in post 26. This skyrocketing tuition growth is essentially the same as historical growth. Do the math.
States reduced funding, passing the increased cost on to students and parents.

Perhaps a better way to say it is that tuition didn’t soar, but the cost of college did.

lionsrking2
April 24th, 2020, 09:38 AM
The school.

Athletic budget is a separate book than the university book.

The school charges the athletic department for the scholarships, thus it's 1.2m cost to the athletic department.

So you would agree it's not really costing the school 1.2 million for scholarships

clenz
April 24th, 2020, 09:44 AM
So you would agree it's not really costing the school 1.2 million for scholarships
It absolutely is.

That is money the athletic department is spending. They have their own book. It's money being paid to the school.

Unless the school is then giving them the exact same amount back in terms of institutional support it is costing them 1.2m dollars.

Even with the school giving money back, it's still costing the school 1.2m because that is scholarship money that otherwise wouldn't be given.

lionsrking2
April 24th, 2020, 09:54 AM
It absolutely is.

That is money the athletic department is spending. They have their own book. It's money being paid to the school.

Unless the school is then giving them the exact same amount back in terms of institutional support it is costing them 1.2m dollars.

Even with the school giving money back, it's still costing the school 1.2m because that is scholarship money that otherwise wouldn't be given.

It absolutely isn't.

cx500d
April 24th, 2020, 09:59 AM

Perhaps a better way to say it is that tuition didn’t soar, but the cost of college did.

Of course its going up. It will always go up. Having the states add more money doesn't mean its going down because taxes will need to go up. For sure there is admin bloat, and schools seem to "compete" for students by building R&R facilities to lure potential students.

To go back to the claim:

For private schools the annualized rate of increase, also adding fees in, is a little over 2%. For public schools, throwing fees in, its 3%. This aligns with historical increases as stated, i.e.3%. This story/reference does not make any compelling case whatsoever that tuition and fees is "skyrocketing" or "soaring"

clenz
April 24th, 2020, 10:04 AM
It absolutely isn't.
If it didn't cost the school money - or athletic department - why would any school decide to not offer the full 63?

Why does the PFL exist?
Why did the PL not offer scholarships until the last few years?
Why has the NEC had a hard scholarship cap?
Why do state schools often try to stay in state/states with reciprocity more than going one state over to grab kids?

It's all an expense to the school and is absolutely costing them money.

lionsrking2
April 24th, 2020, 10:15 AM
If it didn't cost the school money - or athletic department - why would any school decide to not offer the full 63?

Why does the PFL exist?
Why has the NEC had a hard scholarship cap?
Why do state schools often try to stay in state/states with reciprocity more than going one state over to grab kids?

It's all an expense to the school and is absolutely costing them money.

Didn't say there wasn't some cost, just not what you're saying. The actual physical cost and net cost vs the price tag for the full allotment are not the same.

DFW HOYA
April 24th, 2020, 11:43 AM

In the PL, it wasn't money but where the aid was offered. When financial aid funds were administered from the college's financial aid office, the amount of the award was the final decision of that office. When the money was moved into the athletic department budget, athletics (and by extension, the coach) would award the grant, eventually in excess of need.

Six of the seven schools follow this practice. Georgetown still awards aid from the financial aid office, so if a prospect from a high-income family is above the need threshold (whatever that is in a given year), they get no aid. That same prospect gets a full ride at the other six schools.

uni88
April 24th, 2020, 12:12 PM
Of course its going up. It will always go up. Having the states add more money doesn't mean its going down because taxes will need to go up. For sure there is admin bloat, and schools seem to "compete" for students by building R&R facilities to lure potential students.

To go back to the claim:

For private schools the annualized rate of increase, also adding fees in, is a little over 2%. For public schools, throwing fees in, its 3%. This aligns with historical increases as stated, i.e.3%. This story/reference does not make any compelling case whatsoever that tuition and fees is "skyrocketing" or "soaring"

Is a decade going back far enough to truly show if college is significantly more expensive now than it used to be? How much have costs increased in the last 30 or so years?

mvfcfan
April 24th, 2020, 01:03 PM
I have to agree that the $1.2M is not really costing anyone $1.2M. It might cost the athletic dept $1.2M in an accounting book, but the reality is that it doesn't cost the university $1.2M to have 63 scholarship players. Just like it doesn't cost WIU anymore money to educate someone on the team from Texas than it does if they are from Illinois. The university is essentially giving the athletic department 1.2 for them to give it back. It's not costing the AD anything, it's just how you have to write it in the accounting books.

cx500d
April 24th, 2020, 03:29 PM
Is a decade going back far enough to truly show if college is significantly more expensive now than it used to be? How much have costs increased in the last 30 or so years?

My guess is the historical average, I.e. 3%

clenz
April 24th, 2020, 03:49 PM
10 years ago the total direct cost at UNI was 13 for in state and 21k out of state

This year total direct cost at UNI 19k in state and 31k out of state

From digging through the UNI Library historical documents

Total cost of attendance in 1992 was about 5 or 6k

That's with UNI freezing tuition the last 2 years and for another 2 years IIRC.

ejjones
April 24th, 2020, 06:05 PM
Bethune-Cookman got bailed out by the state and due to Covid-19, their SACSCOC probation was extended. With the money received from Florida, their accrediation should be upheld now.

The only school that could be in danger from the MEAC would be SC State, who reportedly had only 926 students in the spring semester before Covid-19 hit.

No schools in the SWAC are gonna close either. Not to mention, the federal dollars given to all colleges from the Cares Act will help bigly. But when it comes to the D-2 schools, that's where it's gonna get prickly.
LOL; you peddling that 926 story as well? We had 2300 - 2500 students at that time.

ElCid
April 25th, 2020, 07:26 PM
My guess is the historical average, I.e. 3%

Maybe at some. But on average, since I was a freshman, this year's costs for a freshman at The Citadel have gone up, again, on average, 6% per year. That is total cost, out of state. So,...that would be double.

I have said it many times, once the government gets involved, cost increases take on a life of their own because someone else's money is involved.

cx500d
April 26th, 2020, 04:52 PM
Maybe at some. But on average, since I was a freshman, this year's costs for a freshman at The Citadel have gone up, again, on average, 6% per year. That is total cost, out of state. So,...that would be double.

I have said it many times, once the government gets involved, cost increases take on a life of their own because someone else's money is involved.

Yep.

I think out of state tuition for public schools may be a little different depending on the school. Lots of them depend on getting full out of state tuition paying chicoms etc., as a profit center at the expense of admitting in-state students (i.e. the students that are the reason for that school to exist in the first place).

Some state schools, depending on the economy and the desire to attract students, will entice out of state students with special scholarships. My son went to the University of Wyoming on an Army ROTC scholarship back in the mid 2000's when the Wyoming extraction industry was going gangbusters, but he also got a special scholarship the state gave to out of state students to attract them in which they paid a stipend based on their high school GPA and meeting certain GPA requirements on college classes.

ElCid
April 26th, 2020, 06:51 PM
Yep.

I think out of state tuition for public schools may be a little different depending on the school. Lots of them depend on getting full out of state tuition paying chicoms etc., as a profit center at the expense of admitting in-state students (i.e. the students that are the reason for that school to exist in the first place).

Some state schools, depending on the economy and the desire to attract students, will entice out of state students with special scholarships. My son went to the University of Wyoming on an Army ROTC scholarship back in the mid 2000's when the Wyoming extraction industry was going gangbusters, but he also got a special scholarship the state gave to out of state students to attract them in which they paid a stipend based on their high school GPA and meeting certain GPA requirements on college classes.

Well, while we are a state school, we really have a huge out of state presence. There are usually only a few states not represented at any given time. I am pretty sure we have a much higher out of state presence than VMI does. I think it is around 40% for the Corps. Not sure how that stacks up against the average state school.

AggieFinn
April 26th, 2020, 08:34 PM
UC Davis will play football on the moon if need be.

cx500d
April 26th, 2020, 09:55 PM
UC Davis will play football on the moon if need be.

Is Elon Musk a donor?

neverobeyed
April 29th, 2020, 09:48 AM

For many state schools, it is a three-legged stool - state money, tuition and donors. Those with strong research add a fourth leg. As one decreases (as has been the case for most states over the past four decades with state funding), something else has to make up for it.

As with any organization, business, etc., the cost to provide healthcare for employees as part of the employment package has hit schools very hard over the past three decades and is one of the factors also contributing to the cost of running a college/university.

Laker
April 29th, 2020, 01:54 PM
Is Elon Musk a donor?

I still think Elon should change from the Phoenix to the Musk if he pays them enough to do it.

smallcollegefbfan
April 30th, 2020, 02:56 PM

Agree big time. We need to do something about it.

clenz
April 30th, 2020, 03:03 PM
UNI announced the AD, senior level employees and head coaches are all taking a 10% cut

Catatonic
April 30th, 2020, 06:51 PM
New Jersey has slashed state funding for public universities, effective immediately. Other states will no doubt follow. If schools are unable to resume regular classes in thr fall, additional revenue will be lost from residence halls, food service snd other services. I’d say if the impact of the virus lingers a number of schools will face closure, mergers or cutting sports along with unproductive academic offerings.

The states in the worst fiscal shape such as LA and Illinois, along with states hig the hardest by the virus would be the most likely to be effected.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2020/04/13/public-colleges-face-looming-financial-blow-state-budget-cuts

clenz
May 1st, 2020, 08:43 AM
https://twitter.com/ggerlock/status/1255984900743675904

UNI lost 28 million, and cutting athletic department salaries 10%

If you don't think schools with already bad funding issues aren't in real danger then you just don't like facts

Catatonic
May 2nd, 2020, 07:01 AM
The state of Georgia has announced a 14% budget cut which includes public universities. How will this impact schools such as Kennesaw or FBS schools like Georgia Southern?

Catatonic
May 2nd, 2020, 07:06 AM
One of the looming questions i have is this: worst case scenario. Schools don’t reopen campuses this fall, opting to offer only online coursework. Will students be required to pay activity/athletics fees that subsidize sports at most fcs schools?

MR. CHICKEN
May 2nd, 2020, 07:43 AM
One of the looming questions i have is this: worst case scenario. Schools don’t reopen campuses this fall, opting to offer only online coursework. Will students be required to pay activity/athletics fees that subsidize sports at most fcs schools?

......ON-LINE CLASSES OWN-LAH.....=......NO SPORTS.....=.......NO FEES........YOUSE STILL DRINKIN' FLOOD WA-WA....xconfusedx........BRAWK!

dgtw
May 2nd, 2020, 08:19 AM

Do online students pay these fees now? If I take classes at a school 1,000 miles away, am I still paying for use of the gym and for basketball tickets?

MR. CHICKEN
May 2nd, 2020, 10:01 AM
Do online students pay these fees now? If I take classes at a school 1,000 miles away, am I still paying for use of the gym and for basketball tickets?

......LOOK AT YER.....PRINT-OUT..........AWK!

FUBeAR
May 2nd, 2020, 12:10 PM
I still think Elon should change from the Phoenix to the Musk if he pays them enough to do it.
Agree!

https://pics.me.me/thumb_elon-muskox-top-10-rarest-animals-42834463.png

...not as good as Fightin’ Christians...

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/97/8d/0c/978d0c4303b17853e5a4cb2af33cc2dd.jpg

...but WAY better than “Phoenix”

https://images1.phoenixnewtimes.com/imager/u/original/11438124/whitman-12thave.jpg

ST_Lawson
May 2nd, 2020, 09:11 PM

Idk about other schools, but at WIU you don't, and it's prorated by the number of hours online vs in-person. So if you take 12 hours (3 classes) in person and 3 hours (1 class) online, you get 12 hours worth of fees.

JSUSoutherner
May 3rd, 2020, 09:34 AM

At JSU not only did you pay those fees, you paid higher tuition rates.

dgtw
May 3rd, 2020, 09:53 AM

Even if you were a resident of the state of Alabama?

JSUSoutherner
May 3rd, 2020, 09:59 AM
Even if you were a resident of the state of Alabama?

I was classified as in-state by the university despite being from Georgia. (There's about a million loopholes to get in-state tuition at JSU so your actual residency doesn't matter.)

The online tuition rates aren't as high as out-of-state rates but they are higher than regular in-state. I think there may have been an online out-of-state price as well but I don't remember for sure.

dgtw
May 3rd, 2020, 10:28 AM
That sucks. It really discourages distance learning for those that might want an on line degree.

cx500d
May 4th, 2020, 09:45 AM

Makes sense, it's more exclusive if you don't have a bunch of Alabama and Georgia rednecks and hicks sitting in the class with you dumbing down the teaching.

Bisonoline
May 4th, 2020, 02:47 PM

Talk about the law of diminishing returns.

Daytripper
May 4th, 2020, 03:38 PM
I was classified as in-state by the university despite being from Georgia. (There's about a million loopholes to get in-state tuition at JSU so your actual residency doesn't matter.)

The online tuition rates aren't as high as out-of-state rates but they are higher than regular in-state. I think there may have been an online out-of-state price as well but I don't remember for sure.

The cost of the learning management system, like Blackboard, is expensive and based on the number of users. Just like the on-campus students bear the burden of building use and sports fees, the online students bear the burden of distance learning.

JSUSoutherner
May 4th, 2020, 03:52 PM
The cost of the learning management system, like Blackboard, is expensive and based on the number of users. Just like the on-campus students bear the burden of building use and sports fees, the online students bear the burden of distance learning.

Blackboard was used by literally every class I had.

Online students 100% had less overhead costs.

JSUSoutherner
May 4th, 2020, 03:53 PM
Talk about the law of diminishing returns.

That's 21st century college for you.

Daytripper
May 4th, 2020, 04:10 PM

In my experience the online classes use more features than the face-to-face. Specifically, Collaborate, which is the skype-type system that student use for synchronous meetings and recording of videos.

ST_Lawson
May 4th, 2020, 08:04 PM
WIU's tuition calculator - http://www.wiu.edu/vpas/business_services/billing/costs/
When the calculator loads, it automatically assumes new incoming freshman, living on-campus with standard room and meal plans and 15 on-campus hours.

15 hours is considered the "standard" course load for a semester.
For a new freshman, if those 15 hours are taken on the Macomb campus, tuition is $4,441.50 per semester, plus $1,506.70 in total fees (fees per hour broken down by category here (http://www.wiu.edu/vpas/business_services/tuition/plans/u/undergrad.php)) and $795 for health insurance.
For the same student, if those 15 hours are taken entirely online, tuition is $4,441.50 per semester. Period. No fees, no extra costs, nothing. Now, the student taking only online classes doesn't get the free* access to the student rec center, free* admission to all athletic events, and a few other perks, but they do save a decent chunk of change.

*by "free" I mean no additional costs beyond what they pay in fees

dgtw
May 4th, 2020, 08:41 PM

We used a blackboard when I was in school.

JSUSoutherner
May 4th, 2020, 08:43 PM
We used a blackboard when I was in school.

What a boomer. :D

Catatonic
May 5th, 2020, 08:32 AM
Blackboard sucks. That is all. back to our regular programming.

bonarae
May 5th, 2020, 08:54 AM
Over on the lower division thread here, Laker posted athletics cutbacks at a Juco and another permanently closing its doors partly due to Covid 19.

JSUSoutherner
May 5th, 2020, 09:01 AM
Blackboard sucks. That is all. back to our regular programming.

Yup.

dgtw
May 5th, 2020, 10:38 AM

Gen X.

NDB
May 5th, 2020, 10:46 AM

You guys still have a football team?

clenz
May 5th, 2020, 11:04 AM
You guys still have a football team?
They do.

I after the UNI/ISUb game in CF last year I followed the ISUb team buses out of CF and east on Highway 20 and then south on I380 until I got sick of following the buses as a meme at 60 MPH and got to highway speeds

Yup - they took 3 buses about 7-8 hours to Cedar Falls for the game on Friday, and were back on the buses for the trip home within about an hour or hour and a half of the game ending

OhioHen
May 5th, 2020, 12:21 PM

We called them chalkboards. Most of them weren't black until I was in high school.

JSUSoutherner
May 5th, 2020, 12:45 PM
Gen X.

Boomer Lite.

dgtw
May 5th, 2020, 03:34 PM
We called them chalkboards. Most of them weren't black until I was in high school.

I went to schools that had very old buildings. I saw a mix of black and green chalkboards. But we usually just called them all blackboards.

Klandbulldog
May 7th, 2020, 07:00 PM

Hmmmmm👀 where did you see that number reported? ALL schools will feel the effects of COVID..attendance will be down for every school.

ejjones
May 9th, 2020, 06:44 AM
Hmmmmm👀 where did you see that number reported? ALL schools will feel the effects of COVID..attendance will be down for every school.
The guy from HBCU times peddled that...it was a # that was taken out of context. It was obviously not accurate; I’m just surprised other HBCU folks repeated...

Klandbulldog
May 10th, 2020, 10:29 AM
The guy from HBCU times peddled that...it was a # that was taken out of context. It was obviously not accurate; I’m just surprised other HBCU folks repeated...

Cowardly some aggie’s use that and other story lines to validate the BS move.....

citdog
May 11th, 2020, 11:30 AM
Florida Tech just announced their football program will terminate operations immediately due to China virus.

Laker
May 11th, 2020, 12:42 PM
Florida Tech just announced their football program will terminate operations immediately due to China virus.

I wonder how many more schools will do this? Florida Tech might just be the start.

https://floridatechsports.com/news/2020/5/11/general-covid-19-forces-florida-tech-staff-and-program-reductions.aspx