PDA

View Full Version : Jackson State led FCS in attendance with over 33k per home game

ASU33
March 26th, 2020, 02:34 PM
For the 2nd year in a row Jackson State led FCS in average attendance with an average of 33,762 per home game despite the Tigers not having a winning season since 2013. The rest of the top 10 includuded:

2. Montana-22,545
3. James Madison-18,108
4. Alabama State-17,799
5. North Dakota State-17,440
6. Montana State- 17,281
7. Southern-16.967
8. North Carolina A&T-16,927
9. Jacksonville State- 16,829
10. Florida A&M-16,537

https://hbcugameday.com/2020/03/25/hbcu-fcs-football-attendance-2019-jackson-state-meac-swac/

Professor
March 26th, 2020, 04:06 PM
If they ever get a coach in Jackson that can build a winner , they are going to be a force in FCS

ASU33
March 26th, 2020, 04:52 PM
If they ever get a coach in Jackson that can build a winner , they are going to be a force in FCS

J-State has always had the fan base but they cant seem to get out of their own way. Rick Comegy was fired for personal reasons and they've been struggling since.

cx500d
March 26th, 2020, 06:49 PM
For the 2nd year in a row Jackson State led FCS in average attendance with an average of 33,762 per home game despite the Tigers not having a winning season since 2013. The rest of the top 10 includuded:

2. Montana-22,545
3. James Madison-18,108
4. Alabama State-17,799
5. North Dakota State-17,440
6. Montana State- 17,281
7. Southern-16.967
8. North Carolina A&T-16,927
9. Jacksonville State- 16,829
10. Florida A&M-16,537

https://hbcugameday.com/2020/03/25/hbcu-fcs-football-attendance-2019-jackson-state-meac-swac/
Why aren’t they on the top revenue list in the other thread? All free students?

ASU33
March 26th, 2020, 09:22 PM

I have some serious questions about that revenue list. There's definitely some major holes missing from that particular peice.

ejjones
March 27th, 2020, 04:15 AM
Because the revenue list is not worth the paper it’s written on. No standard reporting requirements...

OhioHen
March 27th, 2020, 06:40 AM

Because the gate money for Classics where they get credit for the attendance as a "home" game doesn't all go to them.

ASU33
March 27th, 2020, 07:50 AM
Because the gate money for Classics where they get credit for the attendance as a "home" game doesn't all go to them.

Classics are not factored into home average attendance. J-State played in one classic last year which was the Circle City Classic which only drew 15k.

mvfcfan
March 27th, 2020, 09:15 AM
I don't get how the SWAC can have so many fans while being as bad, if not worse than the Pioneer League every year. Are they like the Chicago Cubs from 5 years ago where their fan bases are just okay with losing and the program has no reason to try to improve? Always thought the worse thing that could happen to the Cubs was them winning, because now their fans actually expect to win, where before they didn't.

ASU33
March 27th, 2020, 09:35 AM
I don't get how the SWAC can have so many fans while being as bad, if not worse than the Pioneer League every year. Are they like the Chicago Cubs from 5 years ago where their fan bases are just okay with losing and the program has no reason to try to improve? Always thought the worse thing that could happen to the Cubs was them winning, because now their fans actually expect to win, where before they didn't.

Do you know the history of segregation, Jim Crow, and what HBCUs mean especially in the deep South? I'm 34 years old and my parents were born not able to attend any non HBCU in the deep South. The schools in the SWAC are our LSUs, Alabamas, and Oklahoma's, because our families had no other choice but to go there. HBCU games were the place were black people congregated and that simply has passed down from generation to generation.

100%GRIZ
March 27th, 2020, 09:39 AM
So my question is - If NDSU stays FCS, do they ever consider a larger stadium, be it indoor or outdoor? Seems like they could increase easy the amount of fans attending! Of course in these trying times with what is going on with this virus and the oil market this is probably not at all a desireable option at the particular time!

POD Knows
March 27th, 2020, 09:47 AM
So my question is - If NDSU stays FCS, do they ever consider a larger stadium, be it indoor or outdoor? Seems like they could increase easy the amount of fans attending! Of course in these trying times with what is going on with this virus and the oil market this is probably not at all a desireable option at the particular time!We don't sell out the dome now, the stadium would never be an outdoor stadium if they are playing into late November/December. Fargo cold is a lot different than Missoula cold. Oil money does not pay for a stadium in Fargo. We need to get the IPF fully funded and built yet. There is no conference invite pending or even being considered for NDSU to move up to FBS. This subject has been beat to hell and there are probably people on this board a lot more wired in than me but if we stay FCS, there is no need for a different football venue.

TheKingpin28
March 27th, 2020, 10:09 AM
We don't sell out the dome now, the stadium would never be an outdoor stadium if they are playing into late November/December. Fargo cold is a lot different than Missoula cold. Oil money does not pay for a stadium in Fargo. We need to get the IPF fully funded and built yet. There is no conference invite pending or even being considered for NDSU to move up to FBS. This subject has been beat to hell and there are probably people on this board a lot more wired in than me but if we stay FCS, there is no need for a different football venue.

NDSU needs a IPF before anything else and with the screwy laws in North Dakota that require full funding before things can begin, prevents priority number from being fulfilled. If they could get something like SDSU has, that would be amazing.

Professor
March 27th, 2020, 10:32 AM
Do you know the history of segregation, Jim Crow, and what HBCUs mean especially in the deep South? I'm 34 years old and my parents were born not able to attend any non HBCU in the deep South. The schools in the SWAC are our LSUs, Alabamas, and Oklahoma's, because our families had no other choice but to go there. HBCU games were the place were black people congregated and that simply has passed down from generation to generation.

At most HBCU's , Football and Basketball guarantees fund the Olympic sports

Nah he don't lol. Had a guy on this site PM about HBCU attendance and how he doesn't understand. I told him something similar. The HBCU football culture is passed down from generation to generation. I remember being a kid and being dragged to tailgates. When i had Saturday sports, i played my game then a trip home, shower and then to a football game.

It was and is a way to get away from the craziness of life.

Outsider1
March 27th, 2020, 12:34 PM
Indeed, the HBCUs have an amazing fan base that was built through specific history and passed down to be cherished. I would kill for us to have such a dedicated and connected fanbase. The first year of our new stadium we averaged over 12,000/game. We are already back down to about 8,000 and I know that is still decent compared to other FCS schools. Unfortunately, our alumni that live out of town will base their attendance on the weather and what else the family has going on; if nothing else, they'll come. That's true even if they hold season tickets. Our students are doing a little better, but the on campous student population is small enough that will only go so far....

HAL_9000
March 27th, 2020, 02:10 PM
I was wondering why the HBCUs do so well attendance wise when the level of football being played isn't spectacular. I never took into account all of the Jim Crow B.S. from by gone years and how that factored into why the HBCU's have these legacy type fan bases.

Probably doesn't hurt that a lot of HBCUs put a lot of effort and have tremendous pride in their bands. Heck that might be reason enough to attend a game.

ASU33
March 27th, 2020, 02:22 PM
I was wondering why the HBCUs do so well attendance wise when the level of football being played isn't spectacular. I never took into account all of the Jim Crow B.S. from by gone years and how that factored into why the HBCU's have these legacy type fan bases.

Probably doesn't hurt that a lot of HBCUs put a lot of effort and have tremendous pride in their bands. Heck that might be reason enough to attend a game.

The bands also help a lot. The HBCUs that draw well do a great job of bringing something to the table for everyone. From the tailgates, pre-game concerts, bands, and etc. Our schools do a great job of selling the whole Black College Football experience to get everyone involved which definitely helps overall attendance.

NY Crusader 2010
March 27th, 2020, 02:31 PM
While pound for pound, HCBU's have lacked behind the FCS/I-AA powers when it comes to overall quality of play and depth, the league also has a great history of producing not just NFL players but GREAT NFL players.

Walter Payton (Jackson St), Steve McNair (Alcorn), Doug Williams (Grambling), Jerry Rice (MVSU) all HOF-level guys. Other guys off the top of my head who have had long careers that I've followed recently include Antoine Bethea (Howard) and Donald Driver (Alcorn I think). Probably forgetting a dozen other guys who at least have had notable careers recently.

Professor
March 27th, 2020, 03:32 PM
We don't sell out the dome now, the stadium would never be an outdoor stadium if they are playing into late November/December. Fargo cold is a lot different than Missoula cold. Oil money does not pay for a stadium in Fargo. We need to get the IPF fully funded and built yet. There is no conference invite pending or even being considered for NDSU to move up to FBS. This subject has been beat to hell and there are probably people on this board a lot more wired in than me but if we stay FCS, there is no need for a different football venue.

Honestly thought NDSU had an indoor practice facility. What do you use now, the dome?

ASU33
March 27th, 2020, 04:23 PM
Honestly thought NDSU had an indoor practice facility. What do you use now, the dome?

I thought the same thing!

Herder
March 27th, 2020, 04:33 PM
At most HBCU's , Football and Basketball guarantees fund the Olympic sports

Nah he don't lol. Had a guy on this site PM about HBCU attendance and how he doesn't understand. I told him something similar. The HBCU football culture is passed down from generation to generation. I remember being a kid and being dragged to tailgates. When i had Saturday sports, i played my game then a trip home, shower and then to a football game.

It was and is a way to get away from the craziness of life.

Is your allegiance to a particular school, or to any and all HBCUs? I can understand having a strong allegiance to a school win or lose, but not to HBCUs in general.

ASU33
March 27th, 2020, 05:22 PM
Is your allegiance to a particular school, or to any and all HBCUs? I can understand having a strong allegiance to a school win or lose, but not to HBCUs in general.

Not to speak for Prof, but most HBCU alumni/fans have an allegiance to their HBCU then an allegiance to HBCUs in general as well. The reason for that is too much to type but history plays a MAJOR role in this. Even those who didn't attend an HBCU will often times have an allegiance to HBCUs for that very same reason. Check out a documentary called "Tell Them We Are Rising" it will probably help your understanding a lot.

TheKingpin28
March 27th, 2020, 07:52 PM
Honestly thought NDSU had an indoor practice facility. What do you use now, the dome?Old Dactoah Field and they inflate a bubble over it.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

POD Knows
March 27th, 2020, 09:01 PM
Honestly thought NDSU had an indoor practice facility. What do you use now, the dome?No, they don't have one and I don't really want to derail this thread. They are working on getting one funded and built but they aren't there yet. They use an inflatable dome over the old field.

POD Knows
March 27th, 2020, 09:08 PM
I thought the same thing!Below is a pic of the area, they put up a dome over the old field, it is south of the Fargo dome. The Scheels Center is where they play basketball and Newman field is where they play baseball

https://i.imgur.com/8vyvn7t.jpg

HAL_9000
March 28th, 2020, 01:46 AM
Completely serious not trying to agitate, not trying to be a grammar Nazi as this board is conversational......

HistoricalyBlackCollegesandUniversities HBCU is not singular possessive HBCU's. It is also not plural possessive HBCUs'. Collectively it can be a abbreviated HBCUs. The lowercase s indicates that it is a group.

Tomorrow we will be discussing shapes and colors.

ST_Lawson
March 28th, 2020, 04:50 PM
While pound for pound, HCBU's have lacked behind the FCS/I-AA powers when it comes to overall quality of play and depth, the league also has a great history of producing not just NFL players but GREAT NFL players.

Walter Payton (Jackson St), Steve McNair (Alcorn), Doug Williams (Grambling), Jerry Rice (MVSU) all HOF-level guys. Other guys off the top of my head who have had long careers that I've followed recently include Antoine Bethea (Howard) and Donald Driver (Alcorn I think). Probably forgetting a dozen other guys who at least have had notable careers recently.

Also Buck Buchanan (Grambling). All of the individual FCS awards across the board are named after former HBCU players (or Coach). Like you said, they seem to put out a disproportionately large number of really great players that go on to have success at the NFL level, including one of my favorite current players, Tarik Cohen.

Additionally, Payton and Rice being mentioned on many people's lists as the greatest of all time at their positions.

Professor
March 28th, 2020, 05:27 PM

Both. My heart and money goes to NCA&TSU. But i also support other HBCU's. If A&T is out of town , i will go to the NCCU game if they are home. Or another close HBCU just to see a game and support

A&T AGGIE96
March 28th, 2020, 07:45 PM
Both. My heart and money goes to NCA&TSU. But i also support other HBCU's. If A&T is out of town , i will go to the NCCU game if they are home. Or another close HBCU just to see a game and support

^^^this^^^
I’ve been to plenty of HBCU games when my Aggies aren’t in town. NCCU in particular. So many HBCU grads in my family, church, workplace. It’s just a way of life. Its cultural and a way of life. My sister is a UNCC grad, but on game days and for social activities you’ll find her at an HBCU. I find it hilarious she has never been to a Charlotte game and only considered going when they were playing A&T.

I even watch HBCUs on tv when given the option. During the season I’d watch the early Saturday MEAC games, the. The late afternoon SWAC games.

I’ve lived in the Raleigh Durham area of NC for over 25 years and have never been to an ACC Football game...if someone gave me tickets maybe...but pay, Hell no !

I will pay and make the trip to Greensboro to see the Aggies or drive to Durham to support the Eagles. There’s just nothing like it to me and many others.

Panther88
March 28th, 2020, 11:44 PM
Too funny.

Congrats to JState and the SWAC for our continued support. Gotta’ figure how to lure legacy recruits from the sec/big xii plantation systems.

MR. CHICKEN
March 29th, 2020, 04:23 PM
^^^this^^^
I’ve been to plenty of HBCU games when my Aggies aren’t in town. NCCU in particular. So many HBCU grads in my family, church, workplace. It’s just a way of life. Its cultural and a way of life. My sister is a UNCC grad, but on game days and for social activities you’ll find her at an HBCU. I find it hilarious she has never been to a Charlotte game and only considered going when they were playing A&T.

I even watch HBCUs on tv when given the option. During the season I’d watch the early Saturday MEAC games, the. The late afternoon SWAC games.

I’ve lived in the Raleigh Durham area of NC for over 25 years and have never been to an ACC Football game...if someone gave me tickets maybe...but pay, Hell no !

I will pay and make the trip to Greensboro to see the Aggies or drive to Durham to support the Eagles. There’s just nothing like it to me and many others.

..........AH'VE WATCHED MO' THURSDAY NIGHT HBCU'S.....DEN ANY WHITE GUY HERE............CHECK OUT DUH THREADS.........SOMETIMES 3-4 PAGES......UH SCORE UPDATES AN' STUFF.....WHIFF-OUT ONE COMMENT......FROM DUH PEANUT GALLERY........BRAWK!

SUPharmacist
March 30th, 2020, 12:19 AM
I have nothing but respect for the loyalty the HBCUs create amongst their fan base. Looking forward to the game this fall.

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 30th, 2020, 06:29 AM
I have nothing but respect for the loyalty the HBCUs create amongst their fan base. Looking forward to the game this fall.

Don't count on it!

ASU33
March 31st, 2020, 12:47 PM
Don't count on it!

I'm starting to lose hope too!

Redbird 4th & short
March 31st, 2020, 01:24 PM
considering this country's 400 year history .. I completely understand it.

But that still doesn't mean they are a 3 bid league xdrunkyx xpeacex

mvfcfan
March 31st, 2020, 04:47 PM
considering this country's 400 year history .. I completely understand it.

But that still doesn't mean they are a 3 bid league xdrunkyx xpeacex

They're not even 1 bid leagues. xlolx

Professor
April 1st, 2020, 12:35 PM
Hilarious to watch a fan of a school that has 3 winning seasons in the last 20 years and 1 playoff appearance discuss the consideration of any other school.

You guys i tell you

ASU33
April 1st, 2020, 09:49 PM
Hilarious to watch a fan of a school that has 3 winning seasons in the last 20 years and 1 playoff appearance discuss the consideration of any other school.

You guys i tell you

Mane Preach!

Panther88
April 4th, 2020, 01:29 PM

You guys i tell you

Just green w/ jealousy and envy so a few say stupid ***t and "try" to disguise it as some type of sarcastic stupid joke. Some cannot help it as their inherent CV-19 lives w/in them. xlolx

I was seriously looking forward to the new path A&T created.

GAD
April 5th, 2020, 11:11 AM
Its strange not having the Blue Hens in the top ten
What happen to Veterans Memorial Stadium when did they lose 16k seats?

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 5th, 2020, 11:40 AM
I'm starting to lose hope too!

https://www.si.com/college/georgia/news/jon-wefald-tells-paul-finebaum-no-vaccine-no-football

My guess is that there is no 2020 college FB season.....which would really suck.

DFW HOYA
April 5th, 2020, 12:03 PM
My guess is that there is no 2020 college FB season.....which would really suck.

What if there is no vaccine for 4 years, 10 years, whatever? Society doesn't come to an end.

One of four end states materialize:

1. Vaccine
2. Herd immunity (either from vaccination of previous exposure)
3. Acceptance that people regularly get sick and people move on, or
4. The virus disappears (as did the 1918 Spanish flu, although no one knows exactly why)

I wonder how many realize that just 43 percent of the pubic even gets a flu shot, so you can't mandate a vaccine even if you could.

cx500d
April 5th, 2020, 12:42 PM
What if there is no vaccine for 4 years, 10 years, whatever? Society doesn't come to an end.

1. Vaccine
4. The virus disappears (as did the 1918 Spanish flu, although no one knows exactly why)

I wonder how many realize that just 43 percent of the pubic even gets a flu shot, so you can't mandate a vaccine even if you could.

You can...we essentially did that with smallpox, polio, MMR, pertussis, etc. Sure, those are one and done vaccines (or vary infrequent), but it could be done.

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 5th, 2020, 04:14 PM

1. Vaccine

#2 is most likely the cure for all of us. Many interviews from doctors have said the best defense is our own immune system. The human population needs to build immunity to this. With a vaccine being at least a year to year and a half away, it wouldn't surprise me if the '20 is not happening.

Pinnum
April 6th, 2020, 10:21 AM
One of the interesting things I learned about HBCU football culture a while ago was how traveling fans couldn't get hotels because they would only rent a room to whites.

As a result, the schools set up a network of fans lodging where visiting fans would actually stay in the homes of the fans of the home team fans.

This lead for deep connections between the schools and the fans became friends and got to know each other over the years as they would often stay with the same family and would return the favor. And as they got to know each other the rivalry became important (just as you might want to beat the school your friend attended).

As a result of this system the networks of the schools largely overlapped and the connection wasn't limited to only one rivalry. Information about good hosts at one school would spread through the school network. If you were a Grambling fan staying at the home of a Jackson State fan and had a great experience you would tell them, "if you plan to go to the Alabama State game coming up you should contact this Alabama State fan I know who has been a very good host when we went there. Be sure to tell them that I gave them your information." If people didn't have space, they would contact their friends and family. These friends and family didn't always have a connection to the local school. But they got pulled in to the experience by offering lodging to visiting fans which made them interested in defending the honor of the hometown school.

Really, it is the best of college football. Yes, it is unfortunate that it had to happen. But the HBCU football culture is very unique and is a great thing that we have in America today.

ASU33
April 7th, 2020, 02:47 PM
One of the interesting things I learned about HBCU football culture a while ago was how traveling fans couldn't get hotels because they would only rent a room to whites.

As a result, the schools set up a network of fans lodging where visiting fans would actually stay in the homes of the fans of the home team fans.

This lead for deep connections between the schools and the fans became friends and got to know each other over the years as they would often stay with the same family and would return the favor. And as they got to know each other the rivalry became important (just as you might want to beat the school your friend attended).

As a result of this system the networks of the schools largely overlapped and the connection wasn't limited to only one rivalry. Information about good hosts at one school would spread through the school network. If you were a Grambling fan staying at the home of a Jackson State fan and had a great experience you would tell them, "if you plan to go to the Alabama State game coming up you should contact this Alabama State fan I know who has been a very good host when we went there. Be sure to tell them that I gave them your information." If people didn't have space, they would contact their friends and family. These friends and family didn't always have a connection to the local school. But they got pulled in to the experience by offering lodging to visiting fans which made them interested in defending the honor of the hometown school.

Really, it is the best of college football. Yes, it is unfortunate that it had to happen. But the HBCU football culture is very unique and is a great thing that we have in America today.

Bingo! This helped create the whole HBCU community. People would travel to different areas across the country and would camp out at the homes of other HBCU fans/grads. This is what also caused HBCU Classics to grow. Cities with black owned hotels such as Birmingham, Atlanta and others would grab big HBCU games because they had more lodging space that black could use. This is one of many things that helped form the HBCU community.

A&T AGGIE96
April 7th, 2020, 06:32 PM
Bingo! This helped create the whole HBCU community. People would travel to different areas across the country and would camp out at the homes of other HBCU fans/grads. This is what also caused HBCU Classics to grow. Cities with black owned hotels such as Birmingham, Atlanta and others would grab big HBCU games because they had more lodging space that black could use. This is one of many things that helped form the HBCU community.

Those days were before my time but there's no doubt about the personal ties and school loyalty it built in the Black community.

For some, the Aggies moving to the Big South has been like a death in the family. One thing is for sure, our OOC schedule will have to prioritize HBCUs...and NCCU must be on the schedule.

The time Hampton and Norfolk were not playing was bad for our culture. Glad to see they fixed that...same can be said for Hampton playing Howard.

Once our schedule settles and we see games with NCCU, Howard, SC State, and the like there will be less howls from the AGGIE Nation.

Still hurts though.

Panther88
April 7th, 2020, 09:52 PM

Very nice. Indeed.

It's a cultural experience that most never have an opportunity to experience. Probably for the best, considering the outward negative pushback from many. xthumbsupx

There's nothing like a very festive fun-filled opening w/e @ the state fair of texas and watching Prairie View A&M battle Grambling State in the cotton bowl smack dab in the middle of fair park w/ upwards of 53K- (at most during my time) 67K fans of former i-aa/fcs w/ a littany of who's who in the stands and several trolling the sidelines (dallas cowboys, mavericks, movie stars, et al).

ASU33
April 8th, 2020, 12:36 PM
Those days were before my time but there's no doubt about the personal ties and school loyalty it built in the Black community.

For some, the Aggies moving to the Big South has been like a death in the family. One thing is for sure, our OOC schedule will have to prioritize HBCUs...and NCCU must be on the schedule.

The time Hampton and Norfolk were not playing was bad for our culture. Glad to see they fixed that...same can be said for Hampton playing Howard.

Once our schedule settles and we see games with NCCU, Howard, SC State, and the like there will be less howls from the AGGIE Nation.

Still hurts though.

Believe it or not, in the deep South the hotel problem lasted up through the mid to late 1980s. You had hotels in the deep south that would claim to be booked up in order to not serve HBCU fans. Especially in towns like Ruston, La and right outside of Jackson, Ms. I remember this being covered in Ebony and Jet back in the early 1990s. Hotels couldn't just outright reject black people but they would tell potential black patrons for certain weekends that there were no vacancies and other things such as that. You still get hotels who will jack up prices for homecomings and big games. Hotels in Ruston right outside of Grambling room rates jump from 89.99-119.19 per night regularly to 350.00+ per night for Grambling's homecoming or for big games when Jackson State or Alcorn comes to town. There was a lawsuit that was filed in Montgomery back in the 1990s against the big Renaissance downtown by a group from Alabama State for this same practice surrounding the Turkey Day Classic.

cx500d
April 8th, 2020, 12:40 PM
Believe it or not, in the deep South the hotel problem lasted up through the mid to late 1980s. You had hotels in the deep south that would claim to be booked up in order to not serve HBCU fans. Especially in towns like Ruston, La and right outside of Jackson, Ms. I remember this being covered in Ebony and Jet back in the early 1990s. Hotels couldn't just outright reject black people but they would tell potential black patrons for certain weekends that there were no vacancies and other things such as that. You still get hotels who will jack up prices for homecomings and big games. Hotels in Ruston right outside of Grambling room rates jump from 89.99-119.19 per night regularly to 350.00+ per night for Grambling's homecoming or for big games when Jackson State or Alcorn comes to town. There was a lawsuit that was filed in Montgomery back in the 1990s against the big Renaissance downtown by a group from Alabama State for this same practice surrounding the Turkey Day Classic.
Imagine that....Believe it or not, they jack up rates for big games everywhere. Even in Fargo for minor games, the hotels around the Fargodome jacks up their rate.

A&T AGGIE96
April 9th, 2020, 08:38 AM

Man that BS is still happing now. You can get a room, but they will really jack up the price. It would be different if it was across the board but you don’t see the same type of increases in NC when the ACC comes to town.

Those types of complaints led to the CIAA leaving Charlotte.

Things are much better in Greensboro now as the city and county work closer with A&T during our homecoming.

They almost had to...we take over the city and the region during that week.

A&T AGGIE96
April 9th, 2020, 09:06 AM
Imagine that....Believe it or not, they jack up rates for big games everywhere. Even in Fargo for minor games, the hotels around the Fargodome jacks up their rate.

Of course rates go up for big events...that’s expected. What we have seen is targeted and substantial increases when the events include HBCUs or other events involving minorities.

They increase rates for ACC games as well...but the percentage of the increase for those games and concerts etc. were not as high.

We had to call it out and do something to fix it.

Never been to Fargo...but out my way here in NC with 7 FBS schools any FCS game is considered minor...jacking up the prices for an A&T game and not seeing the same increase for regional FBS games is some BS.

POD Knows
April 9th, 2020, 09:12 AM
Of course rates go up for big events...that’s expected. What we have seen is targeted and substantial increases when the events include HBCUs or other events involving minorities.

They increase rates for ACC games as well...but the percentage of the increase for those games and concerts etc. were not as high.

We had to call it out and do something to fix it.

Never been to Fargo...but out my way here in NC with 7 FBS schools any FCS game is considered minor...jacking up the prices for an A&T game and not seeing the same increase for regional FBS games is some BS.You going to come up to Fargo if the game is still on?

A&T AGGIE96
April 9th, 2020, 01:49 PM
You going to come up to Fargo if the game is still on?

Some Aggies are going to make the trip. I know the local alumni association was working with an agent to arrange travel and lodging for anyone interested in the trip.

Me personally...nah, I’ll pass. Most of my away game travel involves seeing family, friends, touring African American historical locations, shopping, etc.

No disrespect, but Fargo just isn’t on my “must visit” lists.

I know who NDSU is from this board and the FCS y’all at this site.

When the announcement about the game was made...most AGGIES I know was like “We playing who...and where...why?”

Football at this level is not national...it’s regional and cultural.

cx500d
April 9th, 2020, 03:34 PM
Some Aggies are going to make the trip. I know the local alumni association was working with an agent to arrange travel and lodging for anyone interested in the trip.

Me personally...nah, I’ll pass. Most of my away game travel involves seeing family, friends, touring African American historical locations, shopping, etc.

When the announcement about the game was made...most AGGIES I know was like “We playing who...and where...why?”

I guess that's the way it is when you don't compete nationally.

POD Knows
April 9th, 2020, 03:51 PM

Football at this level is not national...it’s regional and cultural.Yea, I don't imagine that Fargo is on anybodies must visit list. Football is national, even at this level, when it is played nationally. That is how we look at it, I am sure James Madison fans look at it nationally, as to a lot of others who chose to go outside the boundaries in the sport.

A&T AGGIE96
April 9th, 2020, 05:22 PM
Yea, I don't imagine that Fargo is on anybodies must visit list. Football is national, even at this level, when it is played nationally. That is how we look at it, I am sure James Madison fans look at it nationally, as to a lot of others who chose to go outside the boundaries in the sport.

Yeah, I think you right about Fargo.

We will have to agree to disagree about FCS football being national.

Like I said we (A&T) compete in a state with 7 FBS programs. If you think FCS football is national you fooling yourself. Local FCS programs get very little press or TV time, so you know teams out of that region and state are unheard of...even if they think they are nationally known.

If James Madison fans may see themselves as a national power that explains their desire to go FBS.

I don’t know who won the D2 or D3 “National Championships”...and if it wasn’t for this board I wouldn’t know who won the FCS Championship either.

POD Knows
April 9th, 2020, 05:33 PM
Yeah, I think you right about Fargo.

We will have to agree to disagree about FCS football being national.

Like I said we (A&T) compete in a state with 7 FBS programs. If you think FCS football is national you fooling yourself. Local FCS programs get very little press or TV time, so you know teams out of that region and state are unheard of...even if they think they are nationally known.

If James Madison fans may see themselves as a national power that explains their desire to go FBS.

I don’t know who won the D2 or D3 “National Championships”...and if it wasn’t for this board I wouldn’t know who won the FCS Championship either.It is national for the FCS fans that have teams that play nationally. I didn't say it was national for Buckeye fans or Bama fans.

ASU33
April 9th, 2020, 05:35 PM
I personally would love to go to Fargo for a game. Bison fans seem like they just know how to party and have a good time. Fargo is high on my list of FCS towns that I'd want to visit during the season. Missoula is definitely #1 on that list.

Panther88
April 9th, 2020, 06:35 PM

Definitely hit he nail on the head w/ regards to the cultural aspect. NCA&T has national appeal towards those who have a cultural interest.

Don’t forget the last time PV and A&T hooked up in Los Angeles, we did just north of 53K fans/supporters where traveling contingents from both schools showed up handsomely. I do not see any other East coast fcs school traveling to an opposing West coast and having those same type of favorable results from an attendance perspective.

A&T AGGIE96
April 9th, 2020, 06:36 PM
It is national for the FCS fans that have teams that play nationally. I didn't say it was national for Buckeye fans or Bama fans.

OK, like I said...we”ll have to agree to disagree. FCS Teams playing nationally kind of reminds me of that old saying about how much noise a falling tree make in an empty forest.

We all know the tree makes some noise when it hits the ground, but if no one is there to see or hear the tree does it really matter?

A&T AGGIE96
April 9th, 2020, 06:47 PM
I personally would love to go to Fargo for a game. Bison fans seem like they just know how to party and have a good time. Fargo is high on my list of FCS towns that I'd want to visit during the season. Missoula is definitely #1 on that list.

FCS college towns...never heard of such a thing. Towns that are known nationwide because of the FCS college football teams that play there.

College Station, State College, Chapel Hill...Fargo...come on now !

POD Knows
April 9th, 2020, 07:10 PM
FCS college towns...never heard of such a thing. Towns that are known nationwide because of the FCS college football teams that play there.

College Station, State College, Chapel Hill...Fargo...come on now !I would say Fargo and Missoula have a better game day atmosphere than most of the G5 and probably some of the P5 teams. There are pockets here and there where FCS football is kind of a big deal but I would agree, it is pretty lame in most places but it is lame at a lot of places outside of FCS.