PDA

View Full Version : travis Lulay Diary

flea
June 9th, 2007, 03:31 AM
http://www.nfleurope.com/teams/story/BER/10217058

Travis Lulay Diary

June 7, 2007

Well, welcome back to the second to last entry in the Travis Lulay diary. Hope you didn't miss us too much last week! I'm guessing by now you've read up on our crazy loss to the Galaxy last Saturday.

Obviously, it's disappointing that we have yet to win a game at home. The most disappointing thing about losing this last week was the fact that we played well. We put together a game, and we played really well for about three and a half quarters. We didn't really turn the ball over, and our defense came up with turnovers. We converted in the red zone, and we converted a high percentage of third downs. We had over 200 yards rushing and over 200 yards passing, a very balanced attack, and our highest offensive output of the year.

Travis Lulay is souvenir hunting in Berlin. (City-Press)
To come out of that game with a loss, it's obviously disappointing. You're in a losing situation, and you work hard to stay on task, even though you're losing. You keep working to do things right. The team had good energy and enthusiasm-we were all up for the game. We did everything right for three and a half quarters, but they were the ones that made plays late to win the game.

That's football, and it does happen sometimes, but it is disappointing.

I've been talking to some of the guys, about how close the league race really is. In three of the games we've lost, we had leads in the fourth quarter. If we were able to finish those games out, then right now, we'd be 5-3 and in the World Bowl hunt. Instead, we're 2-6, and on the bottom of the pack.

That's just the parity in this league, and it shows that teams that have been able to finish football games, and have been able to play well in the fourth quarter, have been the most successful.

That's our biggest point of emphasis now-being able to finish those games. In the second Cologne game, we were out of the game in the second half, and at Frankfurt, we were never really in it. But it's just been one of those years where, for whatever reason, we have found ways to lose football games.

But, we still understand that there is a lot we are playing for. We know that a lot of people are watching this film. We have a Rhein football team who's in a similar situation than us-they've lost some football games they feel like they could have won. They're probably a better football team than their record indicates. We're going to have to play well.

We're looking forward to the match up. It's been a little while since we played this football team. We hope to finally get a home win, close out the home season with a win and leave Berlin with a good taste in our mouths.

As we wind down here, we've been getting bit by the injury bug, and we've now lost wide receiver Rich Musinski and defensive tackle Lauvale Sape for the year to injured reserve.

Any time you lose teammates, it's difficult, because these are guys you've shed a lot of blood, sweat, and tears with over the last couple of months. These guys have become some of your closest friends. In losing Rich and Sape, those are two of our captains, two of the core members of our football team.

Obviously, that is also disappointing, and that takes a toll on your team. Injuries happen in football-it's just part of the game. You have to find ways to overcome that, and we'll have to cope without those guys.

In the last few weeks here, we're trying to do a few of the things that we heard were good things to do. Before Rich left, we went to an Argentinean steakhouse that's popular here. It was just a phenomenal meal, but it was also fun to go out one last time with the guys.

Who knows, for example, when or if Rich Musinski and I will ever cross paths again? At the same time, that's part of the experience, and part of playing football in general-the relationships you make, and the people you meet, from all different walks of life. Especially in this league-we have Mexican wide receivers, and English linebackers, and a German safety, and Chinese kickers-and it's a really cool, unique experience. Those types of things, regardless of win-loss record, are really going to stick in your mind as memories of NFL Europa.

Also, Berlin is huge, and I feel like I hardly got to see any of it, but that's just the nature of the game. It's been fun, and it's good to get out and try out some new spots, and the last time you're going to hang out with a guy for a while.

Before I leave, I do need to get some souvenirs of some sort. I really don't have many to show from Berlin! I bought more souvenirs in Prague, and I was there for two days. That's a project for the last week or two we have here. I have plenty of pictures, and those of course are great, but, maybe just one or two little trinkets.

Who knows, I might even find some gifts for my groomsmen in the wedding…? I mean, that adds some sentimental value to it, if they're from Berlin. I'll have to be on alert for cool-looking stuff.

The Rhein Fire have a quarterback, Brett Elliott, who is an Oregon guy, like me. I know about him, and I've heard about all the things he did at Linfield College. I have friends and relatives that went to Linfield, or played against Linfield.

He went to Lake Oswego High School. My roommate in college played against Brett Elliott in high school. It's a little bit of a small world. We met each other for the first time after the first Rhein game, but we had both heard about each other. We're from about 45 minutes apart of each other.

Those are the types of relationships that are fun. The more you play, the more you keep bumping into people.

Let's see, what's going on in the wedding…

The apartment search continues. Pretty much all of the tuxedo fitting business is through, except for maybe two of the groomsmen who haven't got their sizes yet. But they have until the end of June, so they aren't doing too bad.

The wedding reception is at my house, so mom and dad are doing some last minute things around the house. It's starting to get close enough that they are actually starting to primp the yard and things like that. Mom is pretty proud of our yard.

We're about five weeks away. We're closing in pretty quick! This season has just flown by. It seems like yesterday, we were in Düsseldorf in Week 1.

On that note, I'm going to get some sleep for the night. Check back in next week for the last Travis Lulay diary of the season. You won't want to miss it!