View Full Version : Youngstown State Hires Doug Phillips

penguinpower
February 8th, 2020, 06:26 PM
Head Football Coach Doug Phillips Introductory Press Conference

https://youtu.be/Kb-yFpNdXMs

https://m.youtube.com/user/ysusports

Paladin1aa
February 9th, 2020, 07:42 AM
Phillips hires his First DC from D-III John Carroll Univ. Keeps only the OL coach and strength coach as holdovers.

Stay tuned, lol

The Yo Show
February 9th, 2020, 09:19 AM
Didn't see anything about this. Carl is still shown on the coaches list. Is he fired then, and this guy from John Carroll is our DC?

Penguin Nation
February 9th, 2020, 11:01 AM
Nice remarks at his press conference, and better than the last 3’s introductory press conferences. I would’ve spoke directly to the fans and community, and reassured them without necessarily referring directly to the scumbaggery of the last HC. Maybe refer to a “winning plus” motto where winning is a base expectation, and striving for honor, personal excellence, and community service were additional measures of success. The next few years will be ugly, but I am cautiously optimistic about his 3rd seasons and beyond.

ysubigred
February 10th, 2020, 09:49 AM
Sounds like the polar opposite of Bo. We'll find out soon enough. After the house cleaning and Phillips bringing in his own coordinators I hope it works.

The players seem to be stable right now only Reed gone. I think Reed was a good player but between all the injuries he only gave YSU one good year and he had help for Richmond on the other side who's graduated and gone also.

Looks like YSU picked up a Transfer CB from BG Melvin Jackson. He's a St. Edwards kid a well established HS football power house in Ohio.

ysubigred
February 10th, 2020, 09:52 AM
Didn't see anything about this. Carl is still shown on the coaches list. Is he fired then, and this guy from John Carroll is our DC?

He's regurgitating what was on Pete's rah rah board.

Paladin1aa
February 11th, 2020, 09:43 AM
Looking at the schedule as well as the roster, my early look says losing record. 3-8 cant be far off.

ysubigred
February 11th, 2020, 10:45 AM
Looking at the schedule as well as the roster, my early look says losing record. 3-8 cant be far off.

Hmmm,, So what you're saying there is no chance of wining next year besides the weenie schedule? 7-4 losses ~ ILL ST. NDSU, UNI, SDSU and possibly UND, and EKU this could turn to 5-6 easily. I'll say 3-8 won't happen. xtwocentsx

Paladin1aa
February 12th, 2020, 05:20 PM
Road games at Akron, Misery St and WIU and home game vs ISUb. Duquesne is the weenie game. No OL, your best player transfers out, RB,WR, LB and DBs weak. 3-8 possibility.

Penguin Nation
February 13th, 2020, 02:19 PM
Akron will be a bellwether game. Akron sucks badly. Lose to Akron & 3 wins may be generous. BTW, G5 teams at best pay half what P5 teams play. The local media needs to stop referring to this as a money game. My suspicion is they know better, but want to cover the YSU AD for again not having a P5 game.

Paladin1aa
February 13th, 2020, 05:13 PM
As bad as Akron sucks, that’s a toss up game for YSU given the roster comparasins. ISUb won’t be bad either.

The reality is Bozo left a cupboard near bare and there are not 4 weenie games as they had last year. There is one weenie game.

Im with PN. While it looks like a potential 3-8 year, lose to the Zips and it can be worse.

The Yo Show
February 14th, 2020, 03:17 PM
Akron will be a bellwether game. Akron sucks badly. Lose to Akron & 3 wins may be generous. BTW, G5 teams at best pay half what P5 teams play. The local media needs to stop referring to this as a money game. My suspicion is they know better, but want to cover the YSU AD for again not having a P5 game.

But G5 pay more than what another FCS school pays to play them in a one off home game. You bring up an interesting point, but one that I'm not sure has an answer. What would fit the definition of money game? How much money needs to be payed for the team to come play a one off home game for it to count?

Penguin Nation
February 14th, 2020, 08:43 PM
But G5 pay more than what another FCS school pays to play them in a one off home game. You bring up an interesting point, but one that I'm not sure has an answer. What would fit the definition of money game? How much money needs to be payed for the team to come play a one off home game for it to count?

I searched but can't find the amount Akron is paying YSU. Can't pays ~$325k to FCS visitors...but my suspicion is Akron pays less since their program is in shambles. YSU has received >$700k for P5 games, and I think there was a year tOSU paid them more, and another year tOSU paid them but bumped YSU from the schedule. I guess any non-h/h OOC game is a money game....but if the norm for a money game is at least twice Akron....it seems disingenuous to use the same title as BIG paydays IMO.

Lehigh'98
February 19th, 2020, 06:02 AM
Doug is a solid guy. Knew him from early/mid 90s playing at Boardman HS. He has a huge task in front of him. No one does cynicism quite like Youngstown, so I understand how his ties to Tressel might turn off some fans. Really hope he is able to succeed though. His press conference was great, spoke from the heart.

ysubigred
February 19th, 2020, 09:45 AM
Doug is a solid guy. Knew him from early/mid 90s playing at Boardman HS. He has a huge task in front of him. No one does cynicism quite like Youngstown, so I understand how his ties to Tressel might turn off some fans. Really hope he is able to succeed though. His press conference was great, spoke from the heart.

I agree got to give him a chance. The bar isn't set to high at YSU anymore :(