PDA

View Full Version : The Detroit Football Classic returns after a 13 year hiatus

ASU33
February 4th, 2020, 01:10 PM
The Detroit Football Classic will return Labor Day Weekend to Ford Field and will feature Southern University of the SWAC and Tennessee State University of the Ohio Valley Conference. The Detroit was held from 2003-2006 and the inaugural game in 2003 between Florida A&M and Alabama State drew a crowd of 54,951. http://detroitfootballclassic.com/

Past Contests:

Aug. 30, 2003-Alabama State 38, Florida A&M 22. Attendance 54,951

Sept. 4, 2004- Alabama State 27, Howard 12. Attendance 48,326

Sept. 3, 2005- Hampton 20, Jackson State 7. Attendance 52, 087

Sept. 2, 2006- Delaware State 34, Florida A&M 14. Attendance 41,667

Professor
February 4th, 2020, 02:06 PM
Now this is interesting

OhioHen
February 4th, 2020, 02:22 PM
Good early season matchup. I'll take the Cats to win. xsmiley_wix

Laker
February 4th, 2020, 03:57 PM
With those attendance figures, why did they drop it for 13 years? Those are outstanding.

ASU33
February 4th, 2020, 06:47 PM
With those attendance figures, why did they drop it for 13 years? Those are outstanding.

From what I remember it wasn't from a lack of attendance but the investment group had trouble raising the funds for the game back in 2007 and it was supposed to just be a 1-year hiatus but then the city ran into all types of problems from 2008 forward. The 2007 matchup was supposed to feature Alabama State and Grambling but the teams could never agree to terms for the ball game, plus the Bama State/Grambling game was scheduled in November and not the traditional Labor Day weekend for the Detroit Classic. This matchup coming up should draw very well.

Lion1983
February 5th, 2020, 04:52 AM
I'm ignorant about the Classic games, so I have a question, and it goes in relation to what is going on with BCU.

How much money is generated from the neutral site classics and how is it divided?

ASU33
February 5th, 2020, 12:30 PM
I'm ignorant about the Classic games, so I have a question, and it goes in relation to what is going on with BCU.

How much money is generated from the neutral site classics and how is it divided?

Depends on the Classic. The more established Classic such as the Bayou Classic, The Magic City Classic, The Florida Classic, and The Southern Heritage Classic have been around for decades and have HUGE followings and sponsorships. The Florida Classic that features FAMU and BCU has a payout of $1,400,190.76 for each team. The Magic City Classic payout for Alabama State and Alabama A&M is astound 800k. You have less known Classics like the Detroit Football Classic and the Chicago Football Classic that payout around 500k.

Professor
February 5th, 2020, 12:39 PM

BCU issues are from bad decisions made by their former leadership. They make plenty money in Classics

ASU33
February 5th, 2020, 12:45 PM
BCU issues are from bad decisions made by their former leadership. They make plenty money in Classics

Downright criminal decisions in my opinion. The past administration sold that school out for personal gain.

GAD
February 7th, 2020, 06:59 AM

A promoter along with sponsors usually puts up the money, so the schools get there money up front. The sponsors/promoters then collect the gate.
Well thats the way it works with Classics different teams are invited to play in

ASU33
February 11th, 2020, 02:31 PM

UNA played in a big one back in 2012 against Miles in the Labor Day Classic in Birmingham. That game drew close to 30k. Not bad for D2 football at all.

Redbird 4th & short
February 12th, 2020, 08:37 AM
From what I remember it wasn't from a lack of attendance but the investment group had trouble raising the funds for the game back in 2007 and it was supposed to just be a 1-year hiatus but then the city ran into all types of problems from 2008 forward. The 2007 matchup was supposed to feature Alabama State and Grambling but the teams could never agree to terms for the ball game, plus the Bama State/Grambling game was scheduled in November and not the traditional Labor Day weekend for the Detroit Classic. This matchup coming up should draw very well.
the US economy was in a free fall at that point, and Detroit/Michigan/Auto Industry was hit especially hard ... so not very surprising that investors got skittish. Way too much uncertainty in that area especially.

ASU33
February 12th, 2020, 12:54 PM
the US economy was in a free fall at that point, and Detroit/Michigan/Auto Industry was hit especially hard ... so not very surprising that investors got skittish. Way too much uncertainty in that area especially.

You hit the nail on the head!