PDA

View Full Version : 2020 Guardian Credit Union FCS Kickoff

BEAR
January 29th, 2020, 02:27 PM
https://www.southland.org/images/2020/1/29/image_handler.jpg?width=1416&height=797&mode=crop

MONTGOMERY, Ala. - The University of Central Arkansas Bears will play the very first Football Championship Series (FCS) game of the season next fall when they take on the Austin Peay Governors in the 2020 Guardian Credit Union FCS Kickoff at the historic Cramton Bowl in Montgomery, Ala.

https://www.southland.org/news/2020/1/29/football-central-arkansas-to-face-austin-peay-in-guardian-credit-union-fcs-kickoff.aspx?fbclid=IwAR2X31PHIoh3X9boeXx2Uz2zdvVP a8rBXFRiyp8hCu2Bz8K6WzeJFS68jyc

Professor
January 29th, 2020, 02:41 PM
Nice matchup. IDK about attendance , but nice matchup

BEAR
January 29th, 2020, 02:54 PM

It also takes away a home game from UCA. Again. Another year this time with only 4 home games. Cool game and all but man....

dewey
January 29th, 2020, 02:56 PM
It also takes away a home game from UCA. Again. Another year this time with only 4 home games. Cool game and all but man....

Very interesting matchup. However like you said only having 4 home games stinks for you guys.

What is the fascination with the game being in Montgomery?

Dewey

dgtw
January 29th, 2020, 02:59 PM
Thank God Jax State is away from that nonsense. I hated giving up a home game for that.

The stadium is nice, it had a big renovation a few years ago. The neighborhood isn’t the best in the world. It will also be very hot that day. I thought I was going to die it was so hot.

BEAR
January 29th, 2020, 03:02 PM
Very interesting matchup. However like you said only having 4 home games stinks for you guys.

Dewey

I have no idea. I have a feeling UCA Athletics will bus down students and let fans fend for themselves. It's only 485 miles so an easy drive. But still...my whole gripe last year was getting some home games early in the season so students can get involved. Now our first home game is Sept. 29th and the next after that is Oct. 10th. Ugh. Guess my tailgate gear will be stored again this year.

Professor Chaos
January 29th, 2020, 03:12 PM
We'll see what attendance looks like but I suspect this will be a good case study as to why more neutral site postseason games (bowls or playoffs) will not work at the FCS level outside of the HBCUs. Fans will have 7 months to plan this out so maybe I'm wrong but I'm going to guess they're going to struggle to get 5k there.

POD Knows
January 29th, 2020, 03:13 PM

DeweyDoes Guardian Credit Union have a corporate office there or something.

BEAR
January 29th, 2020, 03:26 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EPeWsKgX0AAdook?format=jpg&name=900x900

JSUSoutherner
January 29th, 2020, 03:30 PM
Thank God Jax State is away from that nonsense. I hated giving up a home game for that.

The stadium is nice, it had a big renovation a few years ago. The neighborhood isn’t the best in the world. It will also be very hot that day. I thought I was going to die it was so hot.

P-R-E-A-C-H

There will be a grand total of 7 people in the stands for this one.

JSUSoutherner
January 29th, 2020, 03:31 PM

Dewey

ESPN has a contract with the city for this game. That's why.

ASU33
January 29th, 2020, 03:40 PM
Does Guardian Credit Union have a corporate office there or something.

Yeah that's the home office. Guardian, The City of Montgomery, and ESPN has some type of agreement that they entered a few years ago.

ASU33
January 29th, 2020, 03:48 PM
I've always felt like this game was better on campus. I remember the Montana/NDSU game back in 2015 and that game was electric. You could feel the electricity through the television.

BEAR
January 29th, 2020, 04:10 PM
P-R-E-A-C-H

xcoffeex

clenz
January 29th, 2020, 04:17 PM
I don't know how it works but they really should let the team giving up the home team include it in the season ticket package. Give people value, give them tickets. If they have tickets built in to what they are getting already they are more likely to go.

POD Knows
January 29th, 2020, 04:18 PM
Yeah that's the home office. Guardian, The City of Montgomery, and ESPN has some type of agreement that they entered a few years ago.They should move it to Fargo, we could get Pro Seeds to sponsor it and you guys would learn more about soybeans in three hours than you ever cared to learn.:D

ASU33
January 29th, 2020, 04:27 PM
P-R-E-A-C-H

They'll fudge the numbers like last year. The announced attendance was 12k and some change but in actuality there were maybe 5,500 people there.

kdinva
January 29th, 2020, 04:45 PM
We'll see what attendance looks like ...... I'm going to guess they're going to struggle to get 5k there.

I'll set the over/under at 6,325.

cx500d
January 29th, 2020, 06:18 PM
Probably poor at best.

JSUSoutherner
January 29th, 2020, 06:18 PM
xcoffeex

You may think I'm being sarcastic and trying to throw shade, but I'm not.

Go watch the game from last year. There was nobody there.

Even when we played UTC we only pulled 12k. And we sell those games out on campus.

Trust me, the attendance for this will be absolutely trash.

TheKingpin28
January 29th, 2020, 08:09 PM
They should move it to Fargo, we could get Pro Seeds to sponsor it and you guys would learn more about soybeans in three hours than you ever cared to learn.:D

Need seed, think Pro Seed.

Damn, I read that in the monotone voice as well.

cx500d
January 29th, 2020, 08:26 PM
I've always felt like this game was better on campus. I remember the Montana/NDSU game back in 2015 and that game was electric. You could feel the electricity through the television.
That was smoke...you could almost smell the smoke

LetsGoPeay
February 2nd, 2020, 07:28 PM
At some point, the rest of the FCS schools are going to have to try to embrace what the HBCU's have already somewhat perfected. Because of the cultural differences between HBCU's and PWI schools, maybe another element needs to be added to this event in Montgomery, to attract more people to the game. For HBCU's, it's the band and the side events that go along with a "classic". For this game, maybe its something community related, or football related for the high school kids in Alabama.

That multipurpose building at the stadium is the perfect place to hold some other joint event to go along with the football game, if they haven't done so already.

As an Austin Peay supporter, I'll make the trip down to Montgomery for that game. Hopefully it isn't 1000 degrees down there. Then I'll be right back down there the next weekend, for the Alabama St vs Tuskegee game.

LetsGoPeay
February 2nd, 2020, 08:16 PM
The main people crying about FCS being "too regional", should be embracing this kickoff game and should be trying to get their school to be part of this game.

I think for the FCS to really promote a game like this, they may have to move it to a more "destination type" city, where fans can do other things beside attend a football game. I may be biased because I'm 45 minutes away, but Nashville, TN is the kind of city that most tourists can enjoy. Once Nashville builds that soccer stadium in 2 years, the FCS should really think about having their Kickoff Classic there. Then in 2025, consider moving the National Championship there too.

JSUSoutherner
February 3rd, 2020, 06:26 AM
The main people crying about FCS being "too regional", should be embracing this kickoff game and should be trying to get their school to be part of this game.

I think for the FCS to really promote a game like this, they may have to move it to a more "destination type" city, where fans can do other things beside attend a football game. I may be biased because I'm 45 minutes away, but Nashville, TN is the kind of city that most tourists can enjoy. Once Nashville builds that soccer stadium in 2 years, the FCS should really think about having their Kickoff Classic there. Then in 2025, consider moving the National Championship there too.

The cold truth is the only way to make this game actually work is to keep it on campus. There's only a handful of scenarios that an off campus game with non-HBCU schools will draw well.

This is not one of them. When JSU and Chattanooga can't get more than 13k to a game it's pretty bad.

The only benefit of this game is the players get to play on ESPN. It still sucks for the fans. It sucks for scheduling. And it sucks for the FCS by putting terrible crowds in the national spotlight.

Put it back on campus where it will draw well and showcase the atmosphere and this game is a hit.

BEAR
February 3rd, 2020, 08:20 AM
My only question is will it be the FCS AGS game of the week? xeyebrowx xlolx

Professor Chaos
February 3rd, 2020, 08:30 AM

The cold truth is the only way to make this game actually work is to keep it on campus. There's only a handful of scenarios that an off campus game with non-HBCU schools will draw well.

This is not one of them. When JSU and Chattanooga can't get more than 13k to a game it's pretty bad.

The only benefit of this game is the players get to play on ESPN. It still sucks for the fans. It sucks for scheduling. And it sucks for the FCS by putting terrible crowds in the national spotlight.

Put it back on campus where it will draw well and showcase the atmosphere and this game is a hit.
Yup, if it's going to work it needs to be at one of the team's home venues....

Didn't work out too poorly in the past.

http://asianplayers.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/image.jpg

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/10/d6/c9/28/fargodome.jpg

Certainly seems to be a better option than this:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49482986171_1dbe789a48_o.jpg

Talk about taking something that was special and ruining it.

clenz
February 3rd, 2020, 09:14 AM

HBCU classics work because they are conference/schools/programs with shared history. Shared goals. Shared experiences. Rivalries. The HBCU world is different. They do things their way and it works. It works well. It's amazing for them.

The rest of the FCS doesn't have that. YSU/Samford has literally zero draw. It's not even a great draw for an on campus game. Peay/UCA is exactly the same. On campus with the ESPN Week 0 machine on it? It probably draws pretty well and "works".

We are small universities with small, in the grand scheme of things, fan bases. This is a dumb idea, has been from the start.

BEAR
February 3rd, 2020, 11:01 AM
HBCU classics work because they are conference/schools/programs with shared history. Shared goals. Shared experiences. Rivalries. The HBCU world is different. They do things their way and it works. It works well. It's amazing for them.

The rest of the FCS doesn't have that. YSU/Samford has literally zero draw. It's not even a great draw for an on campus game. Peay/UCA is exactly the same. On campus with the ESPN Week 0 machine on it? It probably draws pretty well and "works".

We are small universities with small, in the grand scheme of things, fan bases. This is a dumb idea, has been from the start.

I guarantee if the game was at UCA like it was supposed to that there would be over 10k there. Early season. Small stadium. Frats and Sorors firing up recruiting. Matchup of two top 15 teams. The local hype in Conway at the University would get a crowd that big. On ESPN too...easily 10k for a 9k stadium.

But no. It's hundreds of miles away. I'm going and taking nearly 20 people with me but the average fan of the Bears that has been pushed aside by the athletic department with all the road games will not attend. Why should they? FOUR home games next year with only 5 last year.... I'd be surprised if our fans show up to our HOME GAMES THIS year. xlolx

JSUSoutherner
February 3rd, 2020, 11:51 AM
I guarantee if the game was at UCA like it was supposed to that there would be over 10k there. Early season. Small stadium. Frats and Sorors firing up recruiting. Matchup of two top 15 teams. The local hype in Conway at the University would get a crowd that big. On ESPN too...easily 10k for a 9k stadium.

But no. It's hundreds of miles away. I'm going and taking nearly 20 people with me but the average fan of the Bears that has been pushed aside by the athletic department with all the road games will not attend. Why should they? FOUR home games next year with only 5 last year.... I'd be surprised if our fans show up to our HOME GAMES THIS year. xlolx

Not a fan of having this game in Conway. Means I'd have to look at your ugly *** field.

ASU33
February 3rd, 2020, 11:53 AM
I think this game will do better on campus and you'd improve the atmosphere and have a better look on television for FCS.

BEAR
February 3rd, 2020, 12:11 PM
Not a fan of having this game in Conway. Means I'd have to look at your ugly *** field.

Woah...I've never heard that before....xcoffeex xlolx

BEAR
April 29th, 2020, 10:50 PM
Beginning to wonder if this game will happen at all. Losing the money from this and possibly the Missouri game would be a budget killer.

ST_Lawson
April 30th, 2020, 08:29 AM
Beginning to wonder if this game will happen at all. Losing the money from this and possibly the Missouri game would be a budget killer.

I don't really see a way it happens with fans. Might be able to do it without fans, like they're thinking for baseball, assuming they are able to get the practice time in before the season.

Panther88
April 30th, 2020, 10:06 AM

Not sure how i missed this great post but it is true. I recall the post-game presser w/ KC Keeler when PVAMU visited SHSU and he spoke of "the pagentry of PV bringing a large # of fans, their big band, and an atmosphere that is great for college football."

Keeler should've spoken on those 2 tremendously gifted TDs we gave SHSU @ the behest of our true frosh punting situation. lol "Hold your breath! PV is about to punt!!!!" :-O :-O

POD Knows
April 30th, 2020, 10:22 AM
Not sure how i missed this great post but it is true. I recall the post-game presser w/ KC Keeler when PVAMU visited SHSU and he spoke of "the pagentry of PV bringing a large # of fans, their big band, and an atmosphere that is great for college football."

Keeler should've spoken on those 2 tremendous gifted TDs we gave SHSU @ the behest of our true frosh punting situation. lol "Hold your breath! PV is about to punt!!!!" :-O :-O
I watched that game, the last two minutes of that first half was brutal, you had those guys on the ropes.

Panther88
April 30th, 2020, 11:39 AM
I watched that game, the last two minutes of that first half was brutal, you had those guys on the ropes.

Hard hitting game in a great atmosphere w/ rain. PV's 18 y/o long-snapper and punter, remarkable. xsmhx The week prior w/ Rice Univ, they gave a glimpse of their "act" which also cost us in that game (lost by last second FG).

Otherwise, nice game. Nathan Stewart (SHSU) is nothing short of remarkable, imho. Tucker(PVAMU) showed why he was our goto (253? yds rushing).

BEAR
June 10th, 2020, 09:55 AM
Has anybody heard if this game is going to happen still? If so will they allow fans to attend? xeyebrowx

BEAR
August 19th, 2020, 05:38 PM
llGuardian FCS Kickoff (https://mobile.twitter.com/UCA_Football)

Unfortunately, since this tweet went out we have sold out of tickets

xbowx
xhurrayxxhurrayx

BEAR
August 24th, 2020, 09:31 AM
GAME WEEK! xhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayx

https://media2.giphy.com/media/1Ag4juylMiNkMu1kp7/giphy.webp

Professor
August 24th, 2020, 09:40 AM
Doesn't look like fans will be in the stadium. Checked site this am

Due to concerns with COVID-19, we have suspended ticket sales for the time being.
Please revisit this site for updates.

https://prod5.agileticketing.net/websales/pages/WelcomePage.aspx?epguid=b22fef7f-e455-41c0-8e00-c789730bc5ec&

BEAR
August 24th, 2020, 12:01 PM
Doesn't look like fans will be in the stadium. Checked site this am

Due to concerns with COVID-19, we have suspended ticket sales for the time being.
Please revisit this site for updates.

https://prod5.agileticketing.net/websales/pages/WelcomePage.aspx?epguid=b22fef7f-e455-41c0-8e00-c789730bc5ec&

That's what I heard too. Had several people attempt to buy tickets weeks ago and were told either sold out or blocked from buying.

Guess ESPN is paying enough that they don't need fans. xlolx

Laker
August 24th, 2020, 12:50 PM
That's what I heard too. Had several people attempt to buy tickets weeks ago and were told either sold out or blocked from buying.

Guess ESPN is paying enough that they don't need fans. xlolx

8 PM CDT kickoff?

BEAR
August 24th, 2020, 01:03 PM
8 PM CDT kickoff?

Yep. That's what I'm seeing.

Primetime! Get those west coast people at 6 p.m. to maybe watch it on ESPN.

If they don't have any fans there then I hope ESPN explains WHY.
Tickets have been unavailable for a couple of weeks now.

Laker
August 24th, 2020, 01:37 PM

I plan on watching. I've been watching Doc Marten on Saturday nights. Time for some excitement!

Laker
August 24th, 2020, 01:38 PM
Just saw this posted on Twitter about NDSU.

FCS Nation Radio@FCSNationRadio1

(https://twitter.com/FCSNationRadio1)3 Oct will host Central Arkansas in the Fargo Dome!

BEAR
August 24th, 2020, 02:21 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/1297964813453103104/ylZ4kAH0?format=jpg&name=small

BEAR
August 26th, 2020, 09:29 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EgS4sd4UEAAJjBK?format=jpg&name=small

Professor
August 26th, 2020, 09:56 AM

That's a good time. Because when A&T played and they kicked off at 4pm. Whew. Felt like an oven at 400 degrees left on all night

BEAR
August 26th, 2020, 10:26 AM
That's a good time. Because when A&T played and they kicked off at 4pm. Whew. Felt like an oven at 400 degrees left on all night

I noticed that oven heat here this week. Stepped outside and it was like the dry heat that happens when you open the oven door. Wonder if any of the Hurricane Laura rain will come into play on Saturday in Birmingham.

Also found out that the UCA players are staying in Birmingham because their next game is just 4 days away against UAB on Thursday. Wow. Two of the nine games are just 4 days apart. Man this season will fly by! xlolx

OhioHen
August 26th, 2020, 10:46 AM
Wonder if any of the Hurricane Laura rain will come into play on Saturday in Birmingham.

Current models have that rain hitting us near the North Carolina coast overnight Friday into Saturday. Biggest potential impact should be a very wet field.

BEAR
August 26th, 2020, 11:18 AM
Watch parties being loaded up on in Conway:

* Buffalo Wild Wings
* Brick and Forge
* TGI Fridays
* Walk-On's Sports Bistreaux
* Wingstop

Tough choices! I may just grubhub it and get Walk-On's. xlolx

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EgWmp4jU0AMuYRL?format=jpg&name=small

BEAR
August 27th, 2020, 10:40 AM
UCA is favored by a few of the betting lines by 4.5 or 5.

BEAR
August 28th, 2020, 09:49 AM

https://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31769

BEAR
August 28th, 2020, 03:55 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EghIQWUU0AIHcwe?format=jpg&name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EghRY_tU4AAWN6C?format=jpg&name=small

TheKingpin28
August 28th, 2020, 03:56 PM
Is it Saturday Night yet?

BEAR
August 28th, 2020, 04:00 PM
According to a game fact sheet - ESPN Events is the FCS Kickoff promoter, using Camelia Bowl staff - about 2,000 overall game tickets were distributed to the two schools and game sponsors, but none to the general public. That's about 9 percent of the Cramton Bowl's 22,000 capacity.

No wonder no tickets were available! xcoffeex

No band.

Cheerleaders have to sit down.

No public tickets.

6 feet apart.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20200828131519687234804&ref=rec&tm=&src=FCS

BEAR
August 28th, 2020, 04:16 PM
2020 just won't quit.

The bus carrying the football team was involved in a wreck. All players and coaches are ok.

The car that tried to merge....not so much.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EgiOZW4XcAUDlz7?format=jpg&name=small

Laker
August 28th, 2020, 05:01 PM
Is it Saturday Night yet?

I was going to say- "something that we can all agree on!"- but that isn't true. Some people don't want this to happen.

Well, I'm looking forward to it.

TheKingpin28
August 28th, 2020, 05:19 PM
I was going to say- "something that we can all agree on!"- but that isn't true. Some people don't want this to happen.

Well, I'm looking forward to it.I just want football and those that dont, well some people just have to be party poopers.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

bonarae
August 29th, 2020, 03:20 AM
No score thread for today; feel free to use this for the score updates here. xthumbsupx

F'N Hawks
August 29th, 2020, 01:03 PM
Word on Twitter is there was a Covid situation with APSU...are some guys out?

BEAR
August 29th, 2020, 01:45 PM

Saw in an interview with UCAs coach that they’ve had 3 players in the past few months with Covid but they were never allowed to practice. UCA is lucky because they have a hospital next to campus, literally across the street, and that hospital has tested them twice weekly and really stepped up their involvement with prevention on campus.

BEAR
August 29th, 2020, 02:00 PM

Have it on a pretty solid source (never 100%) that Austin Peay had a COVID outbreak. Half team not practicing this week. 2 WR will miss the game, one of which was REALLY good LY, and atleast 5 DL in rotation will be out, and some key ST guys.

If this tweet is true that sucks for college football and the fcs

TSUsupporter
August 29th, 2020, 04:16 PM
I don't know who these sources are. I live in Clarksville where Austin Peay is located. And I've literally heard nothing about players being out for this game.

The team did have a COVID outbreak back in June and into July. But I haven't heard about anything recently.

Austin Peay has their COVID dashboard up, with 20 active cases and 55 students in quarantine as of today.

BEAR
August 29th, 2020, 05:26 PM
From Twitter:

· 1h

BREAKING: As it turns out, there will be key players not active tonight for Austin Peay, I'm hearing from a source.Much of it, source says, "is because of the rule where if you live with someone and they test positive you have to self quarantine

TSUsupporter
August 29th, 2020, 05:39 PM
From Twitter:

· 1h

BREAKING: As it turns out, there will be key players not active tonight for Austin Peay, I'm hearing from a source.Much of it, source says, "is because of the rule where if you live with someone and they test positive you have to self quarantine

From the APSU athletic director:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EgnuI2EWoAMf-Qf?format=jpg&name=small

BEAR
August 29th, 2020, 05:44 PM
From the APSU athletic director:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EgnuI2EWoAMf-Qf?format=jpg&name=small

None of the individuals representing the school in Montgomery tested positive.....

Nice play on words. So if they aren’t there then they DID test positive and the tweet by the sports guy may or might be right.

TSUsupporter
August 29th, 2020, 05:46 PM
How sick is it that, after everything that North Dakota State has done in the FCS, it's going to be Central Arkansas and Austin Peay ( a team that won just 1 game in a 4 year span from 2013 - 2016 ), that will set the record for the most watched FCS game in history.

BEAR
August 29th, 2020, 06:27 PM
How sick is it that, after everything that North Dakota State has done in the FCS, it's going to be Central Arkansas and Austin Peay ( a team that won just 1 game in a 4 year span from 2013 - 2016 ), that will set the record for the most watched FCS game in history.

What a great thing that those two schools can contribute toward the awareness of the FCS.

Daytripper
August 29th, 2020, 08:07 PM
What a great thing that those two schools can contribute toward the awareness of the FCS.

This. Great for FCS.

DFW HOYA
"We are unable to comment" - CYA

Daytripper
Go Bears!!

Daytripper
August 29th, 2020, 08:09 PM
damn. That was a good start to college football.

Mike296
August 29th, 2020, 08:10 PM
What a Run!

Daytripper
August 29th, 2020, 08:11 PM
Watch Breylin Smith. One of the best QBs in the FCS.

DFW HOYA
August 29th, 2020, 08:17 PM
What a Run!

Smart move with the cutback.

Daytripper
August 29th, 2020, 08:18 PM
AP came to play.

Mike296
August 29th, 2020, 08:19 PM
AP came to play.

This is a revenge game for sure

TSUsupporter
August 29th, 2020, 08:21 PM
Great start to the game for APSU.

Bears drive down the field, but stall.

7 - 0 Govs

Derby City Duke
August 29th, 2020, 08:24 PM
Choppy, erratic, frantic-looking. Not unexpected, but hope it settles down some.

Daytripper
August 29th, 2020, 08:24 PM
Expected ugly football this early in the season. Limited preparation.

tallgeorgiagent
August 29th, 2020, 08:25 PM
I think when we played JSU in the classic they didn't lose a home game. Pretty sure we still owe them a home game.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Puddin Tane
August 29th, 2020, 08:32 PM
Watch Breylin Smith. One of the best QBs in the FCS.

i dunno bout that. Think HBU and UIW have better. Just my opinion

now..lets get it going UCA

Puddin Tane
August 29th, 2020, 08:34 PM
Im rooting for a purple team...never in my wildest dreams

Daytripper
August 29th, 2020, 08:38 PM
Im rooting for a purple team...never in my wildest dreams

Right! Agree with you that there are plenty of good QBs in the SLC. Our guy, Eric Schmid, is a sleeper good one. Just hope UCA can put it together.

POD Knows
August 29th, 2020, 08:44 PM
Some option football baby, they might set a record for most 4th down attempts tonight.

Daytripper
August 29th, 2020, 08:45 PM
Good to have some college football.

POD Knows
August 29th, 2020, 09:17 PM
Brutal performance by the long snapper for AP

Daytripper
August 29th, 2020, 09:17 PM
Special Teams Matter.

Daytripper
August 29th, 2020, 09:20 PM
Breylin Smith looks lost. Nothing like he looked last year.

POD Knows
August 29th, 2020, 09:22 PM
Yea, a little sloppy, he had a decent stretch a couple possessions back but not throwing the ball very well.

POD Knows
August 29th, 2020, 09:24 PM
Did that just happen, holy crap.

Daytripper
August 29th, 2020, 09:26 PM
Oatsvall is showing.

- - - Updated - - -

Bull**** penalty.

Daytripper
August 29th, 2020, 09:28 PM
Smith is just terrible tonight.

Daytripper
August 29th, 2020, 09:41 PM
Love coach Lovings. He has the right attitude.

ElCid
August 29th, 2020, 09:47 PM
Sloppy game but I'll take it. Expected at this point. That was a great opening play and great to have football again!

Laker
August 29th, 2020, 09:48 PM
First play from scrimmage- explosive!

Since then- not so much. Hopefully the second half will pick it up.

BEAR
August 29th, 2020, 09:50 PM
Well I can say Austin Peay has given us great field position several times and we basically choked it away.

Good thing though we are a second half team.

They have the attitude to win this game. We don’t.

ElCid
August 29th, 2020, 10:03 PM
Well I can say Austin Peay has given us great field position several times and we basically choked it away.

Good thing though we are a second half team.

They have the attitude to win this game. We don’t.

Looks like you are correct about being a second half team! That's how you start a half.

lionsrking2
August 29th, 2020, 10:09 PM

He was terrible against us last year.

BEAR
August 29th, 2020, 10:34 PM
If UCA would quit doing trick plays we’d be in the end zone already.

Schism55
August 29th, 2020, 10:46 PM
Sloppy which not unexpected but some good hittin going on out there. Not a huge fan of UCA play calling thus far.
AP's helmets are fantastic xthumbsupx

BEAR
August 29th, 2020, 10:46 PM
Stupid trick plays. Just play ball! xflamemadxxflamemadx

TSUsupporter
August 29th, 2020, 10:51 PM
If I'm Austin Peay, I would come out with Baniko Harvey at QB, to run the option, to see if he can get some life in the offense.

Oatsvall just doesn't have it tonight. And he's a step slower than he was at the start of last year.

BEAR
August 29th, 2020, 11:04 PM
So not impressed with either team.

Daytripper
August 29th, 2020, 11:06 PM
So not impressed with either team.

This.

POD Knows
August 29th, 2020, 11:08 PM
That TE for UCA needs to get the ball more. He is freaking load.

BEAR
August 29th, 2020, 11:20 PM
Welp. Good grief

Daytripper
August 29th, 2020, 11:20 PM
Weak PI call.

POD Knows
August 29th, 2020, 11:22 PM
Weak PI call.
Seriously. He freaking undressed him.

DEX
August 29th, 2020, 11:23 PM
Great call on qb keeper.

Daytripper
August 29th, 2020, 11:26 PM
Except for the first play of the game, UCA has dominated.

TSUsupporter
August 29th, 2020, 11:30 PM
Welp. That's the game, unless something catastrophic happens for Central Arkansas.

POD Knows
August 29th, 2020, 11:32 PM
That would have been hilarious in AP had gotten a pic. WTF were they doing. Worked out OK but wow

dewey
August 29th, 2020, 11:32 PM
Good back and forth between both teams at the end.

Dewey

DEX
August 29th, 2020, 11:33 PM
Great call for UCA! Play to win instead of settling for fg attempt.

Daytripper
August 29th, 2020, 11:34 PM
Wow. TD.

POD Knows
August 29th, 2020, 11:35 PM
Great call for UCA! Play to win instead of settling for fg attempt.
A field goal would have won the game. They could have ran the ball a couple times. Ran the clock down and then kicked it. It was a great throw by the QB

BEAR
August 29th, 2020, 11:45 PM
Ugly game.

But we’re 1-0.

Lots of things to work on. But I’m glad football is back.

OhioHen
August 30th, 2020, 06:42 AM
Have to question the thought process of UCA's coaching staff on the final TD. They were lined up to kick the PAT which would have only been a six point lead. Unnecessary review of the TD saved them from making what could have been a game-losing mistake.

Laker
August 30th, 2020, 07:22 AM
Have to question the thought process of UCA's coaching staff on the final TD. They were lined up to kick the PAT which would have only been a six point lead. Unnecessary review of the TD saved them from making what could have been a game-losing mistake.

And it wasn't just them. The announcers were surprised when they lined up for two. Evidently they don't have one of those sheets that tells you what you should do depending on the score. Those things have been around for at least forty years- plus there is a thing called common sense, or basic knowledge of arithmetic that tells you what you should do.

Ivytalk
August 30th, 2020, 07:43 AM
So who will appear on the next FCS Game of the Week?

BEAR
August 30th, 2020, 08:35 AM
And it wasn't just them. The announcers were surprised when they lined up for two. Evidently they don't have one of those sheets that tells you what you should do depending on the score. Those things have been around for at least forty years- plus there is a thing called common sense, or basic knowledge of arithmetic that tells you what you should do.

When you have tight ends that demolish giant fan systems and truck tiny DBs then you got a good chance to get two.
Bear fans were frustrated most of the night with their play on offense but when they quit the trick plays and just drove the ball it worked out for 300 yards in the second half.

Look ok it was game one. Lots of scoring opps missed out on. Lots of things to work on.

MR. CHICKEN
August 30th, 2020, 08:47 AM
.....MONOPLY GAME GUY....ON AP GOURD-GUARDS........NEXT THING YA KNOW.....MR. CHICKENS....ON JAX STATE HELMETS......xrolleyesx........BRAWK!

POD Knows
August 30th, 2020, 09:32 AM
When you have tight ends that demolish giant fan systems and truck tiny DBs then you got a good chance to get two.
Bear fans were frustrated most of the night with their play on offense but when they quit the trick plays and just drove the ball it worked out for 300 yards in the second half.

Look ok it was game one. Lots of scoring opps missed out on. Lots of things to work on.That was awesome, your TE is needs to be utilized more, he is a bad man in the open field. You QB looked real good in the final drive, lots of poise, had kind of an up and down game but was money when it was needed the most.

Wasn't real impressed with either teams offensive lines, both teams were getting a lot of pressure on the QB's, maybe the D lines were just good, don't know. This game wasn't as close as the score indicated, UCA was clearly the better team but did some strange things to keep AP in the game.

Anyway, way to rep, looking forward to the game in Fargo. You guys have a lot of tools in the receiving corps and a mobile QB and those are the teams that NDSU struggles with, I don't really expect UCA to be able to run the ball much but we will see.

bwbear
August 30th, 2020, 09:56 AM
Anyone who has seen me post on our forum knows I am NOT a fan of our OC. Our HC had one of the best offenses with a lesser QB under the previous coach. Our current OC is lost. He's gotten lucky because of the talent we have on offense. Hated the play calling most of the night.

UCA was sloppy. QB play was not good until the end. Our run game was much improved from last year, which is the positive (the only one besides the W) I took from the night.

SU DOG
August 30th, 2020, 11:43 AM
Didn't have a dog in this fight, BUT I thought that UCA could have effectively used their power running game for most of the 2nd half, and wore down the Govs' defense, and won without as much drama. I might be wrong on this, but I did enjoy the game. Congrats to both squads.

Bisonator
August 30th, 2020, 05:30 PM
Congrats to the Bears! Kind of sloppy but typical of an early game and especially without much camp work this year. Was disappointed with Smith until that last drive, showed up when it mattered most anyway. Great to have FB back again!

Outsider1
August 30th, 2020, 07:11 PM
Congrats to the Bears. I don't disagree with any previous comments. You guys continue to be a second half team at this point and you still find ways to get it done. Clean it up and do it for 4 quarters and you guys could go a long way. AP has a lot to work on as well, but I feel they have good potential.

BEAR
August 30th, 2020, 07:16 PM
Don’t forget that UCA plays UAB on Thursday September 3rd on espn3.

UAB has 6 nfl prospects and is stout.

Hopefully UCA has shaken off the cobwebs and plan to play and cut out the cute trick plays.

that guy
August 31st, 2020, 05:41 PM
Why did they limit tickets to 2000? Appears they couldn't give the tickets away. Fun ending though.

BEAR
August 31st, 2020, 08:54 PM
Why did they limit tickets to 2000? Appears they couldn't give the tickets away. Fun ending though.

Great question. I was told they sold out all 2000 and weren't selling anymore. Looking at the crowd though I'm not so sure of that.