PDA

View Full Version : Most Intense Intrastate FCS Rivalry (POLL)

Ivytalk
January 25th, 2020, 06:29 AM
I thought I’d ask AGS posters to comment on the reasons why some FCS fans really seem to hate other schools from their states. Is it perceptions of arrogance by one school toward another? Superiority? Class warfare? Social snobbery? Other factors? I picked up on this at the NDSU-Delaware game, where several NDSU fans we spoke to really ripped UND with a passion, including a ribald limerick.

I limited the poll to state universities, although you could probably add Lehigh-Lafayette to the mix. Unfortunately, the hate may have been watered down with each new generation. Have at it! And show your work.

JSUSoutherner
January 25th, 2020, 07:08 AM
I'm sure this poll will probably skew toward NDSU vs UND because of the amount of ungulate fans here, but as an outsider looking in I'd probably have to go with Montana vs Montana State. They are two high quality programs. They are the two premier programs in their state. They both have large and active fanbases. And they challenge each other.

Each other rivalry you list is lacking in one of those reasons I just listed. With NDSU, UND is of no challenge and isn't particularly good. SFA/SHSU is a popular rivalry and game but SFA hasn't really been too great. And then for El Cid and Furman, both have had their share of good seasons over the past few years, but they were never playing good ball at the same time. El Cid was good because of Houston being there, then he left and then Furman got Hendrix.

So to me the only rivalry that checks all the boxes is the Montana / Montana State rivalry.

WestCoastAggie
January 25th, 2020, 07:09 AM
The Aggie/Eagle in NC is arguably the most intense intrastate rivalry.

Ivytalk
January 25th, 2020, 07:31 AM
I broke my own rule by including Furman, a private school. Oh, well, too late now.:p

Bisonoline
January 25th, 2020, 07:44 AM
I'm sure this poll will probably skew toward NDSU vs UND because of the amount of ungulate fans here, but as an outsider looking in I'd probably have to go with Montana vs Montana State. They are two high quality programs. They are the two premier programs in their state. They both have large and active fanbases. And they challenge each other.

Each other rivalry you list is lacking in one of those reasons I just listed. With NDSU, UND is of no challenge and isn't particularly good. SFA/SHSU is a popular rivalry and game but SFA hasn't really been too great. And then for El Cid and Furman, both have had their share of good seasons over the past few years, but they were never playing good ball at the same time. El Cid was good because of Houston being there, then he left and then Furman got Hendrix.

So to me the only rivalry that checks all the boxes is the Montana / Montana State rivalry.

Nope it wont be und as it hasn't ramped up yet. But at one time it was hostile.

FormerPokeCenter
January 25th, 2020, 08:07 AM
I'd really like to offer McNeese vs Northwestern as a contender for this....It's a First Cousin knife fight masquerading as a football game. Until recently, it was always the last game of the year and it usually decided the Southland Conference title and playoff participants. But, once they let the riff-raff in with the expansion of the conference, and restructured the dates, it's kinda robbed Northwestern of their dignity. What I'm saying is that, since we now beat up on them and ruin their season in the middle of the year (instead of at the end ) their fortunes have fallen considerably.

At this point, I'm really not even sure it still qualifies as a rivalry. Can it really be a rivalry if it's completely one-sided? I suppose Northwestern could do what USL did and move up to FBS to avoid taking that annual ass kicking... ;)

Ivytalk
January 25th, 2020, 08:12 AM
Nope it wont be und as it hasn't ramped up yet. But at one time it was hostile.
What do you mean “at one time”? Is it all “kumbaya” now? I have yet to hear an NDSU fan speak or write a kind word about UND in any respect.

Herdistheword
January 25th, 2020, 08:14 AM
NDSU/UND rivalry hasn’t really been a big factor since NDSU’s D1 move. It will be fun if it ramps up again. One could argue that SDSU/USD is currently a more intense rivalry than NDSU/UND.

Professor Chaos
January 25th, 2020, 08:21 AM
What do you mean “at one time”? Is it all “kumbaya” now? I have yet to hear an NDSU fan speak or write a kind word about UND in any respect.
Most of us don't consider it a rivalry right now. At best I consider it a dormant rivalry. If/when UND gets a win or is at least competitive with NDSU that would probably change in a hurry. A "rival" is someone who is capable of challenging you. UND isn't that right now. SDSU is much more of a rival right now and for the foreseeable future... I'd even say JMU is more of a rival.

Gil Dobie
January 25th, 2020, 08:23 AM

Whioux? As bad as it is right now, it's in a lull period at this time and it still appears like a hated rivalry. When the Fighting Susan's play a more competitive game, to steal a quote from Tombstone, Hell is coming with.

Redbird 4th & short
January 25th, 2020, 08:46 AM
ISUr vs EIU .. Mid America Classic, played 108 times since 1901 .. schools are about 90 minutes apart. We used to be in Gateway together, now we are in different conferences. ISUr leads 57-42-9. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-America_Classic. We've dominated them the last few years, but it used to be a lot like Bears-Packers in the 80's ... it was a very bitter rivalry. It didn't much matter that we were usually the better teamof late (we've won 20 of 26 since 1998), the games were almost alwways very intense and physical.

My favorite game since following Redbirds this decade was in 2012 at home .. double OT win for ISU.

Key Game Stats: ISUr vs EIU

Penalties Called: 29 to 16
Penalties Accepted: 22 to 10 .. rest of season we averaged 5.7 penalties per game
Personal Fouls Called: 6 to 8 .. plus EIU had a roughing the kicker and illegal block in back
Penalty 1st downs: 2 to 9

Note for EIU, 8 of their 16 penalties called were personal fouls, plus a roughing the kicker and illegal block .. so 10 of 16 were actually personal fouls so to speak. Of their 8 personal fouls, 4 were offsetting because ISU also commited personal fouls on same play .. trust me, we were getting caught reacting to their nonsense. It was probably the worst officiated game Ive ever seen, and we were getting short end of so many calls or noncalls.

This was possibly the best example of how chippy it got, but it was usually pretty bad. More recently, the rivalry has petered out a bit the last few years as we;ve beaten them pretty easily the last 3 games .. and the games just aren't as intense or chippy as they used to be.

TheKingpin28
January 25th, 2020, 08:50 AM
I thought I’d ask AGS posters to comment on the reasons why some FCS fans really seem to hate other schools from their states. Is it perceptions of arrogance by one school toward another? Superiority? Class warfare? Social snobbery? Other factors? I picked up on this at the NDSU-Delaware game, where several NDSU fans we spoke to really ripped UND with a passion, including a ribald limerick.

I limited the poll to state universities, although you could probably add Lehigh-Lafayette to the mix. Unfortunately, the hate may have been watered down with each new generation. Have at it! And show your work.

Let me know when GFCC can field a football team and maybe I'd consider that one. I'd go with either the Brawl of the Wild, Classic (NCAT vs NCCU), or Sgt. York Trophy

POD Knows
January 25th, 2020, 08:58 AM
I voted for MSU/UM but the SDSU/NDSU rivalry is ramping up pretty good. I think if UND can step up a little bit that might reignite the rivalry but now it sort of seems like a weak OOC tune up game.

JacksFan40
January 25th, 2020, 09:30 AM
SDSU/USD should be on here.
Its not like it used to be but it’s still intense.

NDSU1980
January 25th, 2020, 09:44 AM

UND hasn't been much of a rivalry for years. More like an annoying little brother.

lionsrking2
January 25th, 2020, 09:48 AM
Southeastern Louisiana vs Nicholls St. Schools are less than 80 miles apart and share the same recruiting base. Went dormant for years after we dropped football in 1985 but rekindled in 2005. Things have really ramped up over the last five seasons and the foreseeable future looks to be plenty intense.

caribbeanhen
January 25th, 2020, 09:59 AM
Southeastern Louisiana vs Nicholls St. Schools are less than 80 miles apart and share the same recruiting base. Went dormant for years after we dropped football in 1985 but rekindled in 2005. Things have really ramped up over the last five seasons and the foreseeable future looks to be plenty intense.

that game this year was the most entertaining FCS game I saw all year

KPSUL
January 25th, 2020, 10:03 AM

They are just too envious of the University of North Dakota's hockey program.

Ivytalk
January 25th, 2020, 10:19 AM
I like all the “other” rivalries that have been described on this thread. I’ve learned a lot.xnodx

Laker
January 25th, 2020, 10:51 AM
Look at the voting numbers. Bison fans didn't vote for them and UND. Things have changed.

When UND and NDSU were in D2, that was the biggest rivalry in the division. Not just in football, but also women's basketball as the elite teams in the division. Nothing but hate for each other. The Nickel Trophy was literally a big thing. I tried to lift it during summer basketball camp- it is heavy.

Then the Bison moved to D1 but UND didn't follow. Because of that the rivalry isn't near what it was, and won't be until UND starts beating the Bison in football. If that happens, then Katie bar the door- you will see some real fireworks. For now, the Bison have bigger fish to fry.

dewey
January 25th, 2020, 11:22 AM
I voted for MSU/UM but the SDSU/NDSU rivalry is ramping up pretty good. I think if UND can step up a little bit that might reignite the rivalry but now it sort of seems like a weak OOC tune up game.

This right here. I also voted for Montana vs Montana State. I also agree that NDSU vs SDSU is way more heated than NDSU vs GFCC.

I grew up with the NDSU vs GFCC as the game but since NDSU went to D1 there has only been 2 games and NDSU pumped them like a 2 dollar.....

I am sure GFCC being in the same conference now as big brother the rivalry will start ramping back up.

Dewey

UNH_Alum_In_CT
January 25th, 2020, 11:33 AM
I think there are some other good Intrastate public rivalries (W&M-JMU, the Southland ones mentioned, Sac State-UC Davis, etc.), a couple (UAlbany-Stony Brook, Idaho-Idaho State) that I wonder how big they can/may become and one I'd like to hear more about (NC A&T-NCCU). Since they've joined FCS, I've never understood the level of animosity between the schools in each Dakota. How do people in the same state have such a caustic relationship? Don't you live and work among alumni from the other school? But as far as football goes, the xDSU's have had a significant advantage. Based on all that I too think the Montana schools have the most intense rivalry.

Ivytalk
January 25th, 2020, 11:40 AM
UD/ DSU isn’t very intense, although the local press (such as it is) would like it to be.

FormerPokeCenter
January 25th, 2020, 11:40 AM
I can't believe that anybody hasn't mentioned the Bayou Classic.....Southern vs Grambling....

The football's not always great, but they ****ing hate each other that week, and there's no bigger spectacle in all of FCS.

Laker
January 25th, 2020, 11:54 AM
Since they've joined FCS, I've never understood the level of animosity between the schools in each Dakota. How do people in the same state have such a caustic relationship? Don't you live and work among alumni from the other school? But as far as football goes, the xDSU's have had a significant advantage.

Familiarity brings contempt. Look at Auburn-Alabama. In the Dakotas, UND-NDSU and USD-SDSU used to be huge. Still is in the case of SDSU and USD. UND was gone for awhile so that has simmered down. In high school, I lived halfway between Hector and Buffalo Lake. Did a lot of business in Hector. Movie theater was there. I hated those arrogant bastards. Now the schools have been together since 1987. I coached kids from both towns. Now we get along. It comes down to bragging rights.

uni88
January 25th, 2020, 12:38 PM
UNI vs. Drake?

Oops Drake is private and is afraid to play UNI. Just confirms that Drake is a D+ school. ;)

semobison
January 25th, 2020, 12:44 PM
NDSU fans love the situation we have with UND nowadays. The Bison are dominant and the F'n Hawks are mostly irrelevant. Bison fans like to downplay any talk of UND being a rival because of course they are not deserving. Don't kid yourself though. If NDSU lost to anyone on their schedule next year a loss to the F'n Hawks would drive most Bison fans to the edge!

DFW HOYA
January 25th, 2020, 01:03 PM
Lehigh and Lafayette deserves some mention.

Least intense rivalry? Georgetown and Howard. Two miles apart and the schools have less than zero interest in each other.

Lorne_Malvo
January 25th, 2020, 01:27 PM
I'm sure this poll will probably skew toward NDSU vs UND because of the amount of ungulate fans here.
Wrong again.
Apparently most AGS people are not as biased and ignorant as you are.

lionsrking2
January 25th, 2020, 01:43 PM
that game this year was the most entertaining FCS game I saw all year

We didn't get it done down the stretch but that game had all the elements of a classic for sure. Four of the last five have been like that and I anticipate the next several being that way also. Our playoff game with Villanova was no yawner either.

cx500d
January 25th, 2020, 02:06 PM
Look at the voting numbers. Bison fans didn't vote for them and UND. Things have changed.

When UND and NDSU were in D2, that was the biggest rivalry in the division. Not just in football, but also women's basketball as the elite teams in the division. Nothing but hate for each other. The Nickel Trophy was literally a big thing. I tried to lift it during summer basketball camp- it is heavy.

Then the Bison moved to D1 but UND didn't follow. Because of that the rivalry isn't near what it was, and won't be until UND starts beating the Bison in football. If that happens, then Katie bar the door- you will see some real fireworks. For now, the Bison have bigger fish to fry.

Maybe for a few years in the late 90's early 2000's. In the 80's when I was there, I don't think UND ever won a game; Not really a rivalry then.

JSUSoutherner
January 25th, 2020, 02:13 PM
Wrong again.
Apparently most AGS people are not as biased and ignorant as you are.
Wow. Someone's a fragile little snowflake, aren't they?

JayJ79
January 25th, 2020, 02:17 PM
but the SDSU/NDSU rivalry is ramping up pretty good.

not an intrastate rivalry

POD Knows
January 25th, 2020, 02:30 PM
not an intrastate rivalryYea I know, I also don't consider UND as part of ND either, pretty much everything north of Highway 200 is Canada.

Winterborn
January 25th, 2020, 02:37 PM
Most of us don't consider it a rivalry right now. At best I consider it a dormant rivalry. If/when UND gets a win or is at least competitive with NDSU that would probably change in a hurry. A "rival" is someone who is capable of challenging you. UND isn't that right now. SDSU is much more of a rival right now and for the foreseeable future... I'd even say JMU is more of a rival.

UND would have to defund hockey (or find a large football donor) for that to happen and they would sooner cut their own throat then to do that. The lack of funds has been forcing them to choose hockey or football and they choose hockey.

SDSU is the team I consider a rival and will be for me going forward. I would even give a nod to JMU but overall it is definitely SDSU.

Panther88
January 25th, 2020, 03:09 PM
Not sure if "rivalry" is the correct word but I've noticed how certain local FCS inter-conference matchups draw a LOT of attention.

SWAC vs SLC
=============
SU vs McNeese St
GSU vs NWSt
PVU vs SHSU

Also, we the PV delegation added Nicholls St to our "we owe you" list since they came in and escaped the clutches of holding an "L" at our place fall 2019. The seriousness was evidenced by NichSU bringing their band to an away game @ PV last fall.

FormerPokeCenter
January 25th, 2020, 03:26 PM
Maybe one of these days the SWAC will actually win one of those matchups ;)

tjamz
January 25th, 2020, 05:00 PM

It's entirely possible to hate someone without them being a rival.

katss07
January 25th, 2020, 05:38 PM
Going to be a homer and go with SHSU/SFA. The Southland has many intense rivalries to consider, but I think the BOTPW is definitely tops.

Even with SFA’s extended down stretch, the rivalry is as intense as ever. It’s awesome going to the game in Houston every year, 30k usually turn out and it has a big game feel. I’m sure it would be even better if SFA became somewhat revenant in the conference. The game itself might not always be competitive, but the rivalry is big nonetheless. It always will be.

Once in a while, I do wish the game was moved back on campus. Nothing would beat SFA/SHSU on an October Saturday in Huntsville.

JayJ79
January 25th, 2020, 05:50 PM
UND would have to defund hockey (or find a large football donor) for that to happen and they would sooner cut their own throat then to do that. The lack of funds has been forcing them to choose hockey or football and they choose hockey.

Kind of pointless for UND to try to get into a football arms race with NDSU. Seems like it is kind of pointless for any FCS program, really. Why waste money on such a futile effort.
FCS football has zero parity so better to invest in other sports.

Sader87
January 25th, 2020, 06:44 PM
Holy Cross-Harvard has been played ovah 70 times but I wouldn't call it an intense rivalry. A spirited one perhaps.

We've played UMass 50 times...a very good rivalry but it was overshadowed by the BC rivalry.

Holy Cross-BC was actually one of the bigger football rivalries in the East at one point.

We are in dire need of an actual football rival currently.

WileECoyote06
January 25th, 2020, 08:19 PM
I can't believe that anybody hasn't mentioned the Bayou Classic.....Southern vs Grambling....

The football's not always great, but they ****ing hate each other that week, and there's no bigger spectacle in all of FCS.

Southern fans describe the Bayou as a friendly rivalry. They truly hate Jackson State, and then FAMU (but the OP said intrastate).

WileECoyote06
January 25th, 2020, 08:23 PM
The Aggie/Eagle in NC is arguably the most intense intrastate rivalry.

Because it goes way beyond football. We talk **** and get angry about every sport and competition, from volleyball to quiz bowl to an annual cook-off.

Daytripper
January 25th, 2020, 09:42 PM

NDSU/SDSU is a more legitimate rivalry now, in my opinion. It may change now that UND is back in the MVFC. I voted for the SHSU/SFA rivalry because, well, I'm a homer. But like others have mentioned, I've really learned a lot about other rivalries around FCS.

caribbeanhen
January 26th, 2020, 07:52 AM

Ivy, where I grew up this was very true at the High School level...... the upstate downstate rivalry in the state of Delaware..... The Canal was the line of demarcation....

for those that don't know, even though a small state, upstate and downstate Delaware are worlds apart

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 26th, 2020, 09:15 AM
Kind of pointless for UND to try to get into a football arms race with NDSU. Seems like it is kind of pointless for any FCS program, really. Why waste money on such a futile effort.
FCS football has zero parity so better to invest in other sports.

There are numerous FCS schools that spend more on football compared to NDSU.

Right now Montana/Montana State is the best in the FCS.

DFW HOYA
January 26th, 2020, 09:28 AM
There are numerous FCS schools that spend more on football compared to NDSU.

Five of them are in the Patriot League, and it doesn't do them much good.

JayJ79
January 26th, 2020, 09:36 AM
Five of them are in the Patriot League, and it doesn't do them much good.

exactly my point. why waste money like that? better to spend the money on something other than football so that there is actually a return on the investment

Redbird 4th & short
January 26th, 2020, 09:50 AM
ISUr vs EIU .. Mid America Classic, played 108 times since 1901 .. schools are about 90 minutes apart. We used to be in Gateway together, now we are in different conferences. ISUr leads 57-42-9. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-America_Classic. We've dominated them the last few years, but it used to be a lot like Bears-Packers in the 80's ... it was a very bitter rivalry. It didn't much matter that we were usually the better teamof late (we've won 20 of 26 since 1998), the games were almost alwways very intense and physical.

My favorite game since following Redbirds this decade was in 2012 at home .. double OT win for ISU.

Key Game Stats: ISUr vs EIU

Penalties Called: 29 to 16
Penalties Accepted: 22 to 10 .. rest of season we averaged 5.7 penalties per game
Personal Fouls Called: 6 to 8 .. plus EIU had a roughing the kicker and illegal block in back
Penalty 1st downs: 2 to 9

Note for EIU, 8 of their 16 penalties called were personal fouls, plus a roughing the kicker and illegal block .. so 10 of 16 were actually personal fouls so to speak. Of their 8 personal fouls, 4 were offsetting because ISU also commited personal fouls on same play .. trust me, we were getting caught reacting to their nonsense. It was probably the worst officiated game Ive ever seen, and we were getting short end of so many calls or noncalls.

This was possibly the best example of how chippy it got, but it was usually pretty bad. More recently, the rivalry has petered out a bit the last few years as we;ve beaten them pretty easily the last 3 games .. and the games just aren't as intense or chippy as they used to be.

Just saw another poster respond to original OP inquiry, regarding "is it perceptions of arrogance by one school toward another? Superiority? Class warfare? Social snobbery? Other factors?"

This is/was a large part if the issue with the ISUr vs EIU rivalry the last couple decades. And I don't mean this in a condascending/snobby way ate all ... but like many Illinois (and other midwest) directionals, EIU has really struggled financially for many reasons (i.e. state reneging on funding), while ISUr has thrived .... so it became partly reallity, partly perception of arrogance/inferiority thing. Having also won 20 of 26 games in last 2 decades, EIU usually showed up playing with nothing to lose ... except their 2013 team. My kids new kids on the team, so we got good scoops for a few years ... EIU games got really ugly with the dirty/chippy stuff they would do .. and then some times, we would retaliate like we did in 2012. Spack teams are usually much mroe disciplined than that averaging round 5 penalties per game. It certainly didn't help that day with the worst officiated game I've honestly ever seen.

But it is/was definitely a superiority/inferiority thing. it seems to have diminished the last few years. Many fans are now looking to not do this h&h every year any more, mainly because it is not as competitive as it used to be and we already play one easy home OOC game. We'd rather do more Big Sky challenge games.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 26th, 2020, 09:58 AM
exactly my point. why waste money like that? better to spend the money on something other than football so that there is actually a return on the investment

What point?

Schools spend more money on football and get less out of that investment compared to NDSU. What does that say? Easy. Just because you spend the money doesn't mean you will win. There are numerous other factors that go into a winning program. So redistribute that money to other programs because they cannot figure out the other factors/intangibles that go into a successful program?

Here is a novel idea. Roll your sleeves up and work harder then the program you are trying to beat.

Panther88
January 26th, 2020, 10:04 AM
If those alleged “fcs” rivalries are so great, where are the attendance #s & national broadcasts that substantiate their greatness? xlolx

Sincerely, THE Ohio State University alums and University of Michigan alums; Grambling State University and Southern University alums; university of texas alums and txa&m alums; ...

*”fcs” crickets* lol

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 26th, 2020, 10:31 AM
If those alleged “fcs” rivalries are so great, where are the attendance #s & national broadcasts that substantiate their greatness? xlolx

Sincerely, THE Ohio State University alums and University of Michigan alums; Grambling State University and Southern University alums; university of texas alums and txa&m alums; ...

*”fcs” crickets* lol

Everything is butts in the seat for you and your comparison to HBCUs. Really, who freaking cares.

NDSU/SDSU put 20K in their stadium but that doesn't compare to your beloved HBCUs rival games because it isn't on national TV. Your continual comparison schtick is old and worn out.

Professor Chaos
January 26th, 2020, 10:51 AM

*”fcs” crickets* lol
Here's your "crickets".

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EH0pDGYW4AIlYZI.jpg

uni88
January 26th, 2020, 11:04 AM
Everything is butts in the seat for you and your comparison to HBCUs. Really, who freaking cares.

NDSU/SDSU put 20K in their stadium but that doesn't compare to your beloved HBCUs rival games because it isn't on national TV. Your continual comparison schtick is old and worn out.

Why dismiss the success of the HBCU rivalry games?

Maybe you should "roll your sleeves up and work harder" to build a bigger stadium and put more butts in your seats. If they did it then NDSU can too.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Redbird 4th & short
January 26th, 2020, 11:20 AM
I agree with your general point about more equitable distribution of funds to other sports in situations where football is just not generating enough interest/success with additional funding. ISUr tries to strike a nice balance in this regard, and to the slight detriment of our football program .. but I like how they focus on the overall results of all their sports teams.

I'm just not sure of your latter statement that moving funding from sub-par football programs to other sports will result in an "actual return on investment". I assume they are mainly trying to improve overall records in each sport .. not expecting to generate a profit. Though collectively it may help the college look more successful and appealing to past/present/future students and donors .. which should translate to more positive vibes, students, and donations.

Maybe you meant the overall impact and returns ??

Redbird 4th & short
January 26th, 2020, 11:24 AM

Maybe you should "roll your sleeves up and work harder" to build a bigger stadium and put more butts in your seats. If they did it then NDSU can too.

not sure that is fair point .. Panter88 was the one dismissing these FCS rivalries posted on this thread, BFNWM was just responding to his dismissiveness.

MSUBobcat
January 26th, 2020, 11:41 AM
I find it interesting that UND-NDSU isn't getting any votes. Yes, not moving up and then ending up in different conferences cooled it down, and NDSU fans dismiss them as "little brother" or whatever. The lack of current competitiveness doesn't diminish a rivalry, IMO. It almost intensifies it. I started school during the tail end of "The Streak" .:pumpuke: That made the rivalry burn with the intensity of 1,000 suns. Periods of inequality give one program bragging rights and the other a fierce hated over the current results. How much NDSU rag on UND, I don't know how they can claim it's not a rivalry, especially when UND holds the all-time record (and by a good margin).

cx500d
January 26th, 2020, 11:47 AM
I find it interesting that UND-NDSU isn't getting any votes. Yes, not moving up and then ending up in different conferences cooled it down, and NDSU fans dismiss them as "little brother" or whatever. The lack of current competitiveness doesn't diminish a rivalry, IMO. It almost intensifies it. I started school during the tail end of "The Streak" .:pumpuke: That made the rivalry burn with the intensity of 1,000 suns. Periods of inequality give one program bragging rights and the other a fierce hated over the current results. How much NDSU rag on UND, I don't know how they can claim it's not a rivalry, especially when UND holds the all-time record (and by a good margin).

Probably because we've played them twice in the last 17 years? That's not the stuff of rivalries...We've played JMU more often than UND since then.

JayJ79
January 26th, 2020, 12:08 PM
Here is a novel idea. Roll your sleeves up and work harder then the program you are trying to beat.

ah yes, none of the other universities or teams have worked hard at all the past years.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 26th, 2020, 12:43 PM

Not dismissing it . Pointing out the continued comparison is worn out.

Bisonator
January 26th, 2020, 12:45 PM
Currently it would definitely be Montana/Montana State. 30 years ago the NDSU/UND rivalry was right there with Bama/Auburn if not worse. It was actually toxic towards the end. I doubt it will ever get back to that which is probably good thing. I'd still like to see UND hit by a meteor though. :D

JSUSoutherner
January 26th, 2020, 12:47 PM
30 years ago the NDSU/UND rivalry was right there with Bama/Auburn if not worse.

This is comedy gold.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 26th, 2020, 12:51 PM
ah yes, none of the other universities or teams have worked hard at all the past years.

This is a nonsense answer. If according to your logic/answer those universities are working hard to become the top of heap then why should they cut funding?

Being a successful program is more than just funding it.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 26th, 2020, 12:52 PM
This is comedy gold.

No it's not. Smaller scale of course but the white hot hatred was there.

Bisonator
January 26th, 2020, 12:59 PM
This is comedy gold.
Whatever snowflake. The rivalry was featured on national TV back in the '80s.

JSUSoutherner
January 26th, 2020, 01:26 PM
Whatever snowflake. The rivalry was featured on national TV back in the '80s.

That's adorable.

Panther88
January 26th, 2020, 01:30 PM
not sure that is fair point .. Panter88 was the one dismissing these FCS rivalries posted on this thread, BFNWM was just responding to his dismissiveness.

Akin to your consistent dismissive attitude towards the CB and its success and not taking on your proverbial LYING garment of "i support fcs."

Comical.

JSUSoutherner
January 26th, 2020, 01:32 PM
No it's not. Smaller scale of course but the white hot hatred was there.

Everyone claims to hate their rival a lot. I'm sure you guys hate UND a lot. We used to have a really heated rivalry with Troy.

But trust me, Alabama and Auburn is different.

The state of Alabama is in a completely different realm when it comes to the importance of CFB to the state.

It makes Ohio State and Michigan look passive. And I say that as someone who lived in Ohio and still pulls for the Buckeyes in their games.

You can't really understand it until you see it first hand.

Panther88
January 26th, 2020, 01:34 PM
Here's your "crickets".

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EH0pDGYW4AIlYZI.jpg

And yours too... 14+ years late to the party eh???

Nov. 22, 2005
Houston, TX -- ESPN and the College GameDay crew will broadcast live from the 32nd Annual State Farm Bayou Classic on Saturday, November 26, 2005. The broadcast will take place at Reliant Stadium from 9:30am -- 11:00am (CST).

"xthumbsupx"

Where are the butts in the seats/national broadcasts to substantiate this beleaguered point? My former HS has a rival just across the lake from us but that doesn't mean the rest of you holed up in bucktussa' america lol will know it to be a factual rival. Sheesh soft skin.

Bill
January 26th, 2020, 01:54 PM
I'm going with Lehigh / Lafayette...

The hatred was definitely there...physical beatings between fans of the schools post game...game was on ESPN back in 1988... here are a few media guide quotes:
“Watching a Lehigh-Lafayette game is something you have to do once in your life.” – Sports Illustrated

“Lafayette-Lehigh is a rivalry that truly transcends time. It’s pure. Players are motivated by the love of the game and perhaps the hatred of their rivals.” – Chris Fowler, ESPN College Gameday Host

“No other teams have met more times on the football field than Lehigh and Lafayette. The rivalry has been intense, sometimes bitter, but always one of good, hard football.” – New York Times, November 22, 1959

“What I remember most about my career at Lehigh is probably beating Lafayette three times. I think the Lafayette games were more exciting to me than any other games I played in, including the NFL games.” – Kim McQuilken ’74, Two-time game MVP, and former NFL quarterback.

"Well, it's impressive, but not so exciting as the Lehigh-Lafayette game." – Nancy Barrett-Kreider ’79, wife of former Cincinnati Bengal Steve Kreider ’79, when asked about the excitement surrounding the 1982 Super Bowl.

“For those 60 minutes, we’re on the same size field as those other guys, in front of 20,000 people, and it’s every bit as meaningful to those players as it is those playing in the Alabama-Auburn or Michigan-Ohio State games. It’s all that matters.” -- Mark Yeager ’81, former Lehigh Football co-captain, current Lehigh Trustee, as told to Michael Bradley in Big Games, College Football’s Greatest Rivalries, 2006.

Redbird 4th & short
January 26th, 2020, 01:55 PM
Akin to your consistent dismissive attitude towards the CB and its success and not taking on your proverbial LYING garment of "i support fcs."

Comical.
Dude ... you clearly do not read my posts. I have been consistently very complimentary of the CB. My criticisms of MEAC are only relative to some of their fans posting how good they are or high they should be ranked, etc.

Please read and absorb !!!! Your missing the whole point.

uni88
January 26th, 2020, 02:05 PM
Not dismissing it . Pointing out the continued comparison is worn out.

The HBCU's rivalry games tv exposure, butts in seats and pageantry are huge. Their fans crowing about them isn't that different from NDSU fans crowing about their national championships.

Dismissing the struggles of private and directional FCS schools with "roll your sleeves up and work harder" is trite and worn out.

NDSU1980
January 26th, 2020, 03:57 PM

It's not even competitive with und in regards to NDSU. Yea, we look forward to kicking the **** out of them yearly now, but that's about it. As long as NDSU keeps recruiting FBS talent and und is stuck with a bunch of D2 guys nothing is going to change. I get far more worked up about playing SDSU or UNI then I do und.

katss07
January 26th, 2020, 04:11 PM
I thought some of these HBCU fans would shut up after the Celebration Bowl viewership went down the ****ter.

60,000 people show up to a battle of the bands in NOLA. Congrats.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 26th, 2020, 04:22 PM
The HBCU's rivalry games tv exposure, butts in seats and pageantry are huge. Their fans crowing about them isn't that different from NDSU fans crowing about their national championships.

Dismissing the struggles of private and directional FCS schools with "roll your sleeves up and work harder" is trite and worn out.

Ok genius....lol

BisonTru
January 26th, 2020, 04:34 PM
I’m 35 years old and UND and NDSU have played I think 4 times in my adult life, and the only one that was competitive was 15 years ago.

They shouldn’t even be an option on a FCS rival poll. If anything they are a hockey football rivalry.

PAllen
January 26th, 2020, 06:11 PM
State schools only? Probably Montana/Montana St.

Any set of rivals in the same state? You shouldn't need to ask.

Oh, and LAFAYETTE SUCKS!

Panther88
January 26th, 2020, 09:28 PM
I thought some of these HBCU fans would shut up after the Celebration Bowl viewership went down the ****ter.

You have no dog in the “fcs” hunt, recent history and zero legacy. Thank your stupidly sorry god that PV & sTu gave you guys a blueprint to follow by playing a rivalry game in an nfl venue lol. xlolx About freaking time. The truth, it hurts doesn’t it zero? lol

Puddin Tane
January 26th, 2020, 09:40 PM
We lost alot by not having football for about 20 years, LU-McNeese is decent game. Not in state, but only an hour away.
In state? Would be Sam.

FormerPokeCenter
January 26th, 2020, 10:03 PM
The McNeese/Lamar game had one thing going for it....but the Lamar chick patrolling the sidelines with all the cleavage hasn't been around in a couple of years...unless y'all bring her back, that series might as well not even exist ;)

https://scontent.fmem1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19260386_10209474115351681_2438483983126556689_n.j pg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ohc=x-hDqt88l2QAX8-eL8Q&_nc_ht=scontent.fmem1-2.fna&oh=a3ca20748c5229451785563901167009&oe=5ED4DD69

katss07
January 26th, 2020, 10:16 PM
You have no dog in the “fcs” hunt, recent history and zero legacy. Thank your stupidly sorry god that PV & sTu gave you guys a blueprint to follow by playing a rivalry game in an nfl venue lol. xlolx About freaking time. The truth, it hurts doesn’t it zero? lol

No dog in the hunt? SHSU has plenty of solid recent history. A 2x Payton winner, two title games and many conference titles. What does PV A&M have? A 30% graduation rate? A third place finish in the SWAC West? A $60 million dollar stadium that sits half empty for a game against Arkansas Pine-Bluff?

Oh, sorry. Forgot to mention your band.

Sam’s worst team in 10 years still beat your sorry ass squad.

The Celebration Bowl is losing relevance each year.

katss07
January 26th, 2020, 10:18 PM
We lost alot by not having football for about 20 years, LU-McNeese is decent game. Not in state, but only an hour away.
In state? Would be Sam.
We’re getting pretty sick of losing to you guys over here xlolx

FormerPokeCenter
January 26th, 2020, 10:23 PM
C'mon now....PV's attendance fluctuates somewhat, but let's not act like those fluctuations are being influenced by the conjugal visit dates over at Walls Unit...

Panther88
January 27th, 2020, 01:57 AM
No dog in the hunt? SHSU has plenty of solid recent history. A 2x Payton winner, two title games and many conference titles. What does PV A&M have? A 30% graduation rate? A third place finish in the SWAC West? A $60 million dollar stadium that sits half empty for a game against Arkansas Pine-Bluff?

Oh, sorry. Forgot to mention your band.

Sam’s worst team in 10 years still beat your sorry ass squad.

The Celebration Bowl is losing relevance each year.

Jealous walker county, hickswood... lol. The hurt from the truth just burns your remedial soul doesn’t it “recent?” No dog in the “fcs” legacy landscape. Enrollment of 22-24K and barely have an avg home att of 1200 folk in that dump bowers. xlolx

JSUSoutherner
January 27th, 2020, 04:41 AM
Jealous walker county, hickswood... lol. The hurt from the truth just burns your remedial soul doesn’t it “recent?” No dog in the “fcs” legacy landscape. Enrollment of 22-24K and barely have an avg home att of 1200 folk in that dump bowers. xlolx
You talk a lot for a fan of a team that has one conference championship in the past 56 years.

PaladinFan
January 27th, 2020, 05:22 AM
The Citadel and Furman is a historic rivalry, but does not have the same intensity as some of the others, in my opinion.

Given the state of the SoCon for many years, a generation of Furman fans primarily saw App State and Georgia Southern as their primary rivals for 20 years or so. Now that those two have moved on, I think you'll see The Citadel/Furman/Wofford move back together as natural intrastate rivals.

Bison56
January 27th, 2020, 07:12 AM
You talk a lot for a fan of a team that has one conference championship in the past 56 years.

Ouch

Panther88
January 27th, 2020, 08:45 AM

I “talk” a lot of the hurtful truth about how unpopular your “fcs” programs are, except to the 378 folk found during round 1 “fcs” playoffs. xlolx. Surely you have no problem admitting this truthism do you? Or, are you too a big liar who states “don’t look at att #s... our stuff is actually good.” lol

You looked up our history. Good job. Why stop at just 56 years? xlolx Our spiraling demise and now return to ascension to be “The Top d-1 ‘fcs’ Program in texas” is well chronicled. The ONLY obstacle that sits in our path currently is ACU, who has now leap-frogged shsu, sfa, et al tx slc’ers in local notoriety.

ACU’s recruiting AND facilities are the BEST in tx at this level, bar none. Just to their right, we at PV keep a dutiful eye on them and their ascension. The truth, it always hurts.

Redbird 4th & short
January 27th, 2020, 08:46 AM

dude is a serious troll ... argues with no sense

GAD
January 27th, 2020, 08:55 AM
Alcorn vs Jackson State until recently I didn't realize how nasty this one was

Professor
January 27th, 2020, 09:14 AM
Because it goes way beyond football. We talk **** and get angry about every sport and competition, from volleyball to quiz bowl to an annual cook-off.

Exactly , sold out or full stadiums for baseball, volleyball etc. That is a Rivalry. When you truly hate each other

Panther88
January 27th, 2020, 09:25 AM
dude is a serious troll ... argues with no sense

That's your opinion just like your overused a**hole that submits to transgenders but still... That's a lie.

An UGLY troll is what you look at daily when your butt-ugly face hits your mirror. :D lol That's the definition of an ugly troll, from my perspective. :D

Have a better day, ugly, physically and mentally weak, ... :D

Redbird 4th & short
January 27th, 2020, 10:27 AM
That's your opinion just like your overused a**hole that submits to transgenders but still... That's a lie.

An UGLY troll is what you look at daily when your butt-ugly face hits your mirror. :D lol That's the definition of an ugly troll, from my perspective. :D

like I said ....

katss07
January 27th, 2020, 10:34 AM
Bowers gets 7000 people on average. And I live in Montgomery County.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 27th, 2020, 10:55 AM

We won't be doing this sort of **** on the FCS board. Do better than this on at least this board going forward.

ASU33
January 27th, 2020, 12:28 PM

The Celebration Bowl went up against the NFL for the 1st time and the rating were still solid. HBCU fans/alumni have as much to be proud of as you do so this idea that we should stop talking is an ignorant one at best.

ASU33
January 27th, 2020, 12:37 PM
NC A&T and NCCUs hate for each other is off the charts. From football to pie eating contests they hate each other. Also don't sleep on the animosity between Alabama State and Alabama A&M. In all sports when we link up it's a packed house. People may not go to a volleyball game or soccer game all year but when it's State vs A&M it's a packed house. Hell we even have a battle of the choirs.

cx500d
January 27th, 2020, 12:56 PM

Nobody, and I mean nobody, is jealous of anything related to pva&m

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FormerPokeCenter
January 27th, 2020, 01:02 PM
I dunno....I think Arkansas-Pine Bluff is at least jealous of their location....

clenz
January 27th, 2020, 01:07 PM
I went SHSU/SFA because I know that extends to all other sports and off the field/court.

I follow that one as close as I do any others in that I really don't, but SHSU/SFA heat I see on my twitter timeline. I don't see anything from the others, or nearly as much.

Panther88
January 27th, 2020, 01:10 PM
We won't be doing this sort of **** on the FCS board. Do better than this on at least this board going forward.

I'll comply. I normally don't pick on weak, dweeb, girlie types but the offer was on the table so I took it.

I'll move it forward, u~. :D

Panther88
January 27th, 2020, 01:21 PM
Bowers gets 7000 people on average. And I live in Montgomery County.

Awwww.... being a resident of montCo is an accomplishment? xlolx xlolx xlolx *gasp!* *gasp!* LMAO!!!!! xlolx rotflmao! lol

fall 2018 #s:
Prairie View4 34,620 8,655
Sam Houston St.5 39,554 7,911

Enrollment of what.... 22-24K and can only get 7K interested in your "high quality fcs" football product? Sincerely understand why elder Schmid left shsu and took a promotion to ORHS lol.

Panther88
January 27th, 2020, 01:23 PM

Who are you speaking to, cx? Surely not this direction because you know good'n darn well I don't converse w/ people like you. Right?

Stuff your silly "offer to go drinking" where the sun doesn't shine. Wouldn't want to be w/in 500ft of you in this life or the next. Kudos. xthumbsupx

BisonTru
January 27th, 2020, 01:31 PM
why does citdog have 3 accounts?

ASU33
January 27th, 2020, 02:09 PM
why does citdog have 3 accounts?

Dang you beat me to it! xlolx

Professor
January 27th, 2020, 03:17 PM
NC A&T and NCCUs hate for each other is off the charts. From football to pie eating contests they hate each other. Also don't sleep on the animosity between Alabama State and Alabama A&M. In all sports when we link up it's a packed house. People may not go to a volleyball game or soccer game all year but when it's State vs A&M it's a packed house. Hell we even have a battle of the choirs.

And that is my point, it's easy to hate each other in Football or Basketball. but when you hate each other in Olympic sports , That's a rivalry. I've seen 3k people for the Duke / UNC pickup game between the team managers. Just pure hate for one another.

Professor
January 27th, 2020, 03:23 PM
I’m 35 years old and UND and NDSU have played I think 4 times in my adult life, and the only one that was competitive was 15 years ago.

They shouldn’t even be an option on a FCS rival poll. If anything they are a hockey football rivalry.

How can 2 schools in the same state not play but 4x in 35 years? Were they in different divisions

Bisonoline
January 27th, 2020, 03:24 PM
How can 2 schools in the same state not play but 4x in 35 years? Were they in different divisions

Look at Iowa and Iowa State. They went like 20 years. NDSU-UND was 10 years I think.

Professor
January 27th, 2020, 03:27 PM

1.8 million viewers 2019 is in the ****ter. Now that's interesting? Without the success of the Celebration Bowl , FCS title game doesn't make it on to ABC. And you seem to forget those checks did clear from ESPN btw

Laker
January 27th, 2020, 03:27 PM

Exaggeration. Here is the year by year series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_Trophy

Professor
January 27th, 2020, 03:28 PM

lol ok. cool

JSUSoutherner
January 27th, 2020, 03:32 PM
I went SHSU/SFA because I know that extends to all other sports and off the field/court.

I follow that one as close as I do any others in that I really don't, but SHSU/SFA heat I see on my twitter timeline. I don't see anything from the others, or nearly as much.

I went with this question purely in the football sense. I think you could bring in a couple other rivalries when some other sports are considered. SFA/ SHSU would definitely be in that mix.

clenz
January 27th, 2020, 03:37 PM
Look at Iowa and Iowa State. They went like 20 years. NDSU-UND was 10 years I think.
They played something like 24 or 25 times between 1896 and 1934

Then didn't play again until 1977 and have played every year since. Though there are increasing calls to end the series because it's getting out of hand. I doubt it will happen because there is too much money to be had between the two, but it's getting pretty bad the last few years.

JSUSoutherner
January 27th, 2020, 03:42 PM
They played something like 24 or 25 times between 1896 and 1934

Then didn't play again until 1977 and have played every year since. Though there are increasing calls to end the series because it's getting out of hand. I doubt it will happen because there is too much money to be had between the two, but it's getting pretty bad the last few years.

Is that the one where one of the bands got jumped by fans?

clenz
January 27th, 2020, 03:45 PM
Drake and UNI played 6 times between 1900-1914.
Didn't play againt until 1941.
Between 1941-1975 they played every year except 1939
Took a break until 1981 when they were forced to again by being in the same league until 1985
Didn't play again until a 2-1 in 05 06 07
Played one last time in 2013

That's 4 games in 35 years

The two will almost never play again despite being in the same conference for every sport except football and 2 hours apart and Drake being in the city with the most UNI alumni in the country.

UNI sends Drake a contract for a buy game, a H/H and a 2/1 almost every single season. Drake turns it down every single time. The one counter I heard back from them was a 4/1 with 4 of the games in Des Moines. They will not play UNI. Drake has played SDSU like 4 times in the last decade (and let SDSU play the return game in their 2/1 in Brookings this last year). USD a couple times. UND a couple times. WIU as well.

At this point, given we are sending the team to California, Washington, Montana, Utah, etc. I'd almost rather take that. It's essentially a home game

Drake has the series lead 25-21-1.
Drake find themselves to be far superior to UNI in every way possible
Drake occasionally sends out things to recruits and on social media taking jabs at UNI and being the "FCS team in the state to play at because they hold the H2H record over any other FCS school in the state"

They won't play again because they know it gets ugly fast. The 4 games since 1985 have had finals of 45-14, 45-7, 48-7, 52-17 with starters pulled at half/after the first series or two of the second half in every one of them.

clenz
January 27th, 2020, 03:46 PM
Is that the one where one of the bands got jumped by fans?
Yep.

There are some other things but yeah. It's not great.

They play in every single sport for the Cy Hawk trophy and it isn't any more tame for any other sport. It's pretty dicey at times.

Laker
January 27th, 2020, 03:49 PM
Drake and UNI played 6 times between 1900-1914.

Your post reminded me of the Hy-Vee Classic. I wondered what happened to it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_Big_Four_men%27s_college_basketball

clenz
January 27th, 2020, 03:54 PM
Your post reminded me of the Hy-Vee Classic. I wondered what happened to it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_Big_Four_men%27s_college_basketball
Fran McCaffery is what happened to it.

He's also what happened to UNI and Drake hosting Iowa and Iowa State each in a H/H every single season. UNI got too good and beat Fran by 20 in Cedar Falls in a game he got tossed out of (a year after picking up a tech and almost getting tossed as the HC of Siena in a game in Cedar Falls where his wife wrote an op-ed to a paper in CF and demanded fans apologize for how they jeered Fran's antics). After that game during that presser he said they would never be back to Cedar Falls. Within a week the series was ended and a few months later they big 4 was created to at least keep some version of the game - and because each school made a hell of a lot of money from it. UNI made more from the Big 4 than hosting either ISU/UI but the games in Cedar Falls (or Des Moines) meant more than the money was worth.

The B4 contract wasn't even up yet, Fran activated the nuke option on it he demanded be put in it and ended it early. No one was upset it was ended. 99% of UNI fans never want to play Iowa again - anywhere. Feelings aren't good there. Right now Fran wouldn't even buy UNI. Iowa State has less "bad blood" but has said they won't come to CF again, but will gladly host UNI and Drake. UNI has no interest in that. Drake might eventually.

That thing was terrible and came at a bad time for UNI in terms of transitioning rosters between the S16 run, losing a recruit after he signed and having done no recruiting at that position because of the type of player he was (Doug McDermott)

cx500d
January 27th, 2020, 04:40 PM
Who are you speaking to, cx? Surely not this direction because you know good'n darn well I don't converse w/ people like you. Right?

Stuff your silly "offer to go drinking" where the sun doesn't shine. Wouldn't want to be w/in 500ft of you in this life or the next. Kudos. xthumbsupx
offer was never made to you

POD Knows
January 27th, 2020, 05:16 PM
How can 2 schools in the same state not play but 4x in 35 years? Were they in different divisionsHe said adult life, which for his age demographic is 26 so, yea, his 4 times in 9 years is wrong, it is only 2.

katss07
January 27th, 2020, 05:16 PM
Awwww.... being a resident of montCo is an accomplishment? xlolx xlolx xlolx *gasp!* *gasp!* LMAO!!!!! xlolx rotflmao! lol

fall 2018 #s:
Prairie View4 34,620 8,655
Sam Houston St.5 39,554 7,911

Enrollment of what.... 22-24K and can only get 7K interested in your "high quality fcs" football product? Sincerely understand why elder Schmid left shsu and took a promotion to ORHS lol.
Ridge went 3-7 this year, they can have him.

You guys had 1,000 people at a game. Arguing about attendance is stupid, but I guess that’s just what HBCU fans do.

After all, it’s more about the bands and the fans, right?

Redbird 4th & short
January 27th, 2020, 05:35 PM
offer was never made to you

https://i.pinimg.com/474x/57/56/7b/57567b5f0b3092adf2b834c4dab91524.jpg
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdLFolSPuwA)

FormerPokeCenter
January 27th, 2020, 05:46 PM
If you bother to take the time to research the mission of HBCUs and the hand they were dealt, both before integration and after, you'll see that they undertook a fairly heroic mission. And, despite being woefully underfunded and supported, they managed to find unique ways to put a product on the field.

We had football for 70 years in this country before the players who went to HBCUs were given mainstream opportunites....After Jim Brown and Ernie Davis, suddenly the tide turned and all the PWCs came after the great black athletes like they were fungible commodities. It's fairly colonial to first tell HBCUs that they can't play on the same fields and shower in the same facilites as the PWCs, and then turn around and snap up their players and then castigate them for waning attendance.

The fact that the classic games exist is a testament to the ingenuity of HBCU coaches and staff that got them through segregation.

The Bayou Classic was the brain child of a guy named Collie Nicholson, who was Eddie Robinson's SID. Nicholson's the guy who first conceptualized Grambling playing in Yankee Stadium, traveling to Europe and playing in Japan. He got HCER on a Wheatie's Box. He did it through marketing, chutzpah and charisma.

I give the SWAC **** for the quality of their football, but - hell - I've sat through enough ****ty SWAC Football to earn that right, but leaving that aside for a moment, if you're incapable of giving HBCU's mad props for what they've done with the Classic Games and how they've supported each other. They catch hell for scheduling Langston and Clark Atlanta, but it's pretty privileged to tell them that they couldn't play anybody but HBCU's until the 60's and then to expect them to abandon that and participate in the FCS playoffs now that we've said they can come play in our playground. Overseer much?

The HBCU set up is historic and it should be protected. I'm impressed as hell that they've been able to do what they've done through a reverse affinity marketing scenario that's been forced upon them. Necessity is the mother of invention. I wish we were half as innovative.

But, I digress. The football is kinda ****ty most of the time, but the bands definitely rock, and you absolutely can't beat the pagentry of the Classic Games. I've been to the Bayou Classic as both a spectator and as working media member and my head as on a swivel the entire time. It was a great experience. I really loved watching the bands from the field level at the 50 yard line....that was freaking awesome....

Grizalltheway
January 27th, 2020, 05:52 PM

The Brawl is the biggest sporting event in the state by a Montana mile. Most of the ****-slinging happens on the teams' respective boards, which are both very active.

ElCid
January 27th, 2020, 06:41 PM
The Citadel and Furman is a historic rivalry, but does not have the same intensity as some of the others, in my opinion.

Given the state of the SoCon for many years, a generation of Furman fans primarily saw App State and Georgia Southern as their primary rivals for 20 years or so. Now that those two have moved on, I think you'll see The Citadel/Furman/Wofford move back together as natural intrastate rivals.

When I was a cadet, a long time ago in a galaxy far away, Furman was by far the biggest rival. Plus it was the last game of the season, every year. It has definitely lost some of its intensity over the years. I think the App St and Ga So issue is valid though. I am pretty sure it is the most prolific rivalry in the SOCON though. It will be 100 games real soon. The next couple years?

Grizalltheway
January 27th, 2020, 06:56 PM
The Brawl is the biggest sporting event in the state by a Montana mile. Most of the ****-slinging happens on the teams' respective boards, which are both very active.
And here's a list of all the watch parties around the country.

https://grizalum.org/events/grizcat/watch-parties.php

cx500d
January 27th, 2020, 07:21 PM
And here's a list of all the watch parties around the country.

https://grizalum.org/events/grizcat/watch-parties.php

wow, even watch party in the Fargo/Horace metroplex

ASU33
January 27th, 2020, 07:54 PM
If you bother to take the time to research the mission of HBCUs and the hand they were dealt, both before integration and after, you'll see that they undertook a fairly heroic mission. And, despite being woefully underfunded and supported, they managed to find unique ways to put a product on the field.

We had football for 70 years in this country before the players who went to HBCUs were given mainstream opportunites....After Jim Brown and Ernie Davis, suddenly the tide turned and all the PWCs came after the great black athletes like they were fungible commodities. It's fairly colonial to first tell HBCUs that they can't play on the same fields and shower in the same facilites as the PWCs, and then turn around and snap up their players and then castigate them for waning attendance.

The fact that the classic games exist is a testament to the ingenuity of HBCU coaches and staff that got them through segregation.

The Bayou Classic was the brain child of a guy named Collie Richardson, who was Eddie Robinson's SID. Richardson's the guy who first conceptualized Grambling playing in Yankee Stadium, traveling to Europe and playing in Japan. He got HCER on a Wheatie's Box. He did it through marketing, chutzpah and charisma.

I give the SWAC **** for the quality of their football, but - hell - I've sat through enough ****ty SWAC Football to earn that right, but leaving that aside for a moment, if you're incapable of giving HBCU's mad props for what they've done with the Classic Games and how they've supported each other. They catch hell for scheduling Langston and Clark Atlanta, but it's pretty privileged to tell them that they couldn't play anybody but HBCU's until the 60's and then to expect them to abandon that and participate in the FCS playoffs now that we've said they can come play in our playground. Overseer much?

The HBCU set up is historic and it should be protected. I'm impressed as hell that they've been able to do what they've done through a reverse affinity marketing scenario that's been forced upon them. Necessity is the mother of invention. I wish we were half as innovative.

But, I digress. The football is kinda ****ty most of the time, but the bands definitely rock, and you absolutely can't beat the pagentry of the Classic Games. I've been to the Bayou Classic as both a spectator and as working media member and my head as on a swivel the entire time. It was a great experience. I really loved watching the bands from the field level at the 50 yard line....that was freaking awesome....

You hit some pretty solid points, especially deal with integration primarily in the South. As a guy that coaches high school football and a guy that played a year at a Power 5 school, I'm here to tell you that we haven't traveled as much as we've think we have since integration.

FormerPokeCenter
January 27th, 2020, 08:46 PM
I can't even imagine....

I used to give Grambling fans a huge ration of **** for their scheduling and for not participating in the playoffs...but, over time, I've come to see it much differently, as a result of two really amazing conversations.

I worked as a sportswriter right out of college. I moved into a different career, but still kept my hand in it working as a stringer covering HS and college games for 26 years. Grambling's close, so I've covered them fairly frequently. I got to talk to Coach Rob on a number of occasions, including the night he passed Pop Warner on the All time win list. He was in rare form that night. Now, Coach Rob LOVED to talk. I mean, like, seriously...the man could spin yarns and every single bit of it was fascinating, but often I'd have to bail because I wouldn't have been able to meet deadline and hear the entire story....

But, he was pretty philosophical after passing Pop Warner, so I asked him about the early days...when he was the head coach, the sports information director, the equipment manager, the trainer, the study hall tutor, etc. He positively lit up when he talked about those days and those players and how they built the program. I remember thinking that there were huge, and ugly, portions of the story he wasn't telling, but I'll never, ever, forget how gracious and engaging and full of love for his program he was, despite the crazy **** he must have seen and endured.

A couple of years later, I had occasion in my day job to handle a crash that involved Mr. Nicholson, so I had to take a statement from him about the crash and his work, etc. I'd already heard Coach Rob talk about him when he was describing how the Bayou Classic came to be...so I asked some questions about it all came to be as part of the statement. He was really straight foward, but he spread the credit for it happening around and it was just a really, really cool conversation. I was talking to a legend. Here was a guy who thought this thing up, willed it into existence and created a vibrant self-perpetuating institution. It was amazing, really.

Later, I'd cover some of the Grambling games when Doug Williams was the HC, and he really had little use for the media, which I suppose dates back to his playing days. He took a much different approach with the media and with engagement than Coach Rob did. Doug was distrustful, short and sort of on the verge of being rude, and I remember wondering what drove that; fairly well oblivious to the differences in how he and Coach Rob had grown up not to mention the resentment and racial animus that Doug must have faced as one of the first black QBs in the NFL. He never really warmed up, but he wasn't ever rude to me like I saw with other sports writers. I covered them in a season opener, and since it was hot, I wore shorts and as I was asking him some questions about something to do with their line play that I noticed against certain fronts, it almost had an NFL feel to it, so I asked him about it...he looked at me like he was shocked that I saw it, and then while he was looking down listening to my questions, he noticed the rather ugly scar I have on my right knee....he looked me over, looked at the scar, kinda nodded and then opened up and chatted. I think once he knew I'd payed and was at least cursorily familiar with some of what they were trying to do, he decided that I was okay....

I still thought the SWAC should play in the playoffs, but then I thought back to my conversations with Coach Rob and Mr. Nicholson and I realized that the Bayou Classic date was set in 1974, and the I-AA playoff didn't start until 1978....then I got to wondering why the NCAA couldn't wait until after the Bayou Classic to set the brackets....

The official version was that they were concerned about the length of the steason and pushing them back a week would have been harmful....then the NCAA expanded the field and added a whole other round of games, which sorta negated their position....And then with the rise of the BCS, they pushed things back even further and let teams with split conferences have a championship game, plus playoff games and a really late national championshiip.

The obvious answer is that the NCAA could, if they were of a mind to do so, tweak the playoff brackets to accommodate the SWAC. They just don't want to....

I've given Grambling grief about their schedule, which includes NAIA's Langston, et al, but I then I remembered some of Coach's Rob's stories about who they played in the early days, the limited number of teams who'd line up with them and the lengths they'd have to go to in order to get a full season...I think back in the day, they'd often play Langston and other small schools more than once a season...He also told me how sometimes there would be talk of them playing some of the marquee teams in the country, but those never really came to fruition....at least not until after integration when Grambling's talent pool was watered down...

Anyway, all that to say that I think the Classics are awesome....Langston and Clark Atlanta use the games with Grambling, et al, like we use Money games against FBS teams. And considering their historical ties, I think the decision to forego the playoffs in favor of the Classic games makes total sense....It was one thing to see the Bayou Classic on TV...it was something else to hear Coach Rob and Mr. Nicholson talk about ....but being there and experiencing it with the right historical perspective? I can't even adequately describe it. It's a spectacle. I've been to fantastic games....McNeese beating an Armanti Edwards led App State team in 2009 at the Rock. I've seen great playoff games and top matchups...I've seen games at BCS stadiums. None of them have anything on the Classic Games....

The rest of us need to STFU and let the SWAC do it's thing. If PWC fans want to see the SWAC in the playoffs, tell the NCAA to get its **** together and make some accomodations. It's 2020 for cyring out loud.

BisonTru
January 28th, 2020, 12:01 AM

“Adult life” : 35 yo - 18 (generally accepted age of adulthood) = 17 years.

Btw thanks Laker for the quick link to the series. I guess it was only 3 games. That’s how much I pay attention to this faux rivalry.

UNHWildcat18
January 28th, 2020, 07:52 AM

Alright cx500d Lets make a pact. We'll only respond to panther88 the next time his school makes the playoffs or makes the celebration bowl.

I just hope you have at least 30 years left in the tank.

GAD
January 28th, 2020, 07:54 AM

If its the Bayou Classic you're talking about the football game drew 68,314
The battle of the bands and greek show is the night before I have not seen any official numbers but it usually pulls in between 35-40K

ursus arctos horribilis
January 28th, 2020, 12:33 PM

The Bayou Classic was the brain child of a guy named Collie Nicholson, who was Eddie Robinson's SID. Nicholson's the guy who first conceptualized Grambling playing in Yankee Stadium, traveling to Europe and playing in Japan. He got HCER on a Wheatie's Box. He did it through marketing, chutzpah and charisma.

Great post.

ngineer
January 28th, 2020, 01:16 PM

How dare you leave "The Rivalry" from your list, counselor! This should be subject to sanctions from the sanctimonious.
The rivalry between these two schools transcends football. While it started there, it has now permeated all sports and even non-athletic endeavors. We even compete in charitable activities. Once one graduates in either Brown or Maroon, the other color becomes an immediate no-no in the their wardrobe, except possibly for use as work clothes and rags. With 155 games between them, to not include Lehigh and Lafayette is inexcusable. 30 lashes! no, make it 50!

xsmiley_wix

cx500d
January 28th, 2020, 01:24 PM
Alright cx500d Lets make a pact. We'll only respond to panther88 the next time his school makes the playoffs or makes the celebration bowl.

I just hope you have at least 30 years left in the tank.
I come from a long line of centenarians

ngineer
January 28th, 2020, 01:33 PM
I'm going with Lehigh / Lafayette...

The hatred was definitely there...physical beatings between fans of the schools post game...game was on ESPN back in 1988... here are a few media guide quotes:
“Watching a Lehigh-Lafayette game is something you have to do once in your life.” – Sports Illustrated

“Lafayette-Lehigh is a rivalry that truly transcends time. It’s pure. Players are motivated by the love of the game and perhaps the hatred of their rivals.” – Chris Fowler, ESPN College Gameday Host

“No other teams have met more times on the football field than Lehigh and Lafayette. The rivalry has been intense, sometimes bitter, but always one of good, hard football.” – New York Times, November 22, 1959

“What I remember most about my career at Lehigh is probably beating Lafayette three times. I think the Lafayette games were more exciting to me than any other games I played in, including the NFL games.” – Kim McQuilken ’74, Two-time game MVP, and former NFL quarterback.

"Well, it's impressive, but not so exciting as the Lehigh-Lafayette game." – Nancy Barrett-Kreider ’79, wife of former Cincinnati Bengal Steve Kreider ’79, when asked about the excitement surrounding the 1982 Super Bowl.

“For those 60 minutes, we’re on the same size field as those other guys, in front of 20,000 people, and it’s every bit as meaningful to those players as it is those playing in the Alabama-Auburn or Michigan-Ohio State games. It’s all that matters.” -- Mark Yeager ’81, former Lehigh Football co-captain, current Lehigh Trustee, as told to Michael Bradley in Big Games, College Football’s Greatest Rivalries, 2006.

This. +1

ASU33
January 28th, 2020, 01:38 PM
I can't even imagine....

I used to give Grambling fans a huge ration of **** for their scheduling and for not participating in the playoffs...but, over time, I've come to see it much differently, as a result of two really amazing conversations.

I worked as a sportswriter right out of college. I moved into a different career, but still kept my hand in it working as a stringer covering HS and college games for 26 years. Grambling's close, so I've covered them fairly frequently. I got to talk to Coach Rob on a number of occasions, including the night he passed Pop Warner on the All time win list. He was in rare form that night. Now, Coach Rob LOVED to talk. I mean, like, seriously...the man could spin yarns and every single bit of it was fascinating, but often I'd have to bail because I wouldn't have been able to meet deadline and hear the entire story....

But, he was pretty philosophical after passing Pop Warner, so I asked him about the early days...when he was the head coach, the sports information director, the equipment manager, the trainer, the study hall tutor, etc. He positively lit up when he talked about those days and those players and how they built the program. I remember thinking that there were huge, and ugly, portions of the story he wasn't telling, but I'll never, ever, forget how gracious and engaging and full of love for his program he was, despite the crazy **** he must have seen and endured.

A couple of years later, I had occasion in my day job to handle a crash that involved Mr. Nicholson, so I had to take a statement from him about the crash and his work, etc. I'd already heard Coach Rob talk about him when he was describing how the Bayou Classic came to be...so I asked some questions about it all came to be as part of the statement. He was really straight foward, but he spread the credit for it happening around and it was just a really, really cool conversation. I was talking to a legend. Here was a guy who thought this thing up, willed it into existence and created a vibrant self-perpetuating institution. It was amazing, really.

Later, I'd cover some of the Grambling games when Doug Williams was the HC, and he really had little use for the media, which I suppose dates back to his playing days. He took a much different approach with the media and with engagement than Coach Rob did. Doug was distrustful, short and sort of on the verge of being rude, and I remember wondering what drove that; fairly well oblivious to the differences in how he and Coach Rob had grown up not to mention the resentment and racial animus that Doug must have faced as one of the first black QBs in the NFL. He never really warmed up, but he wasn't ever rude to me like I saw with other sports writers. I covered them in a season opener, and since it was hot, I wore shorts and as I was asking him some questions about something to do with their line play that I noticed against certain fronts, it almost had an NFL feel to it, so I asked him about it...he looked at me like he was shocked that I saw it, and then while he was looking down listening to my questions, he noticed the rather ugly scar I have on my right knee....he looked me over, looked at the scar, kinda nodded and then opened up and chatted. I think once he knew I'd payed and was at least cursorily familiar with some of what they were trying to do, he decided that I was okay....

I still thought the SWAC should play in the playoffs, but then I thought back to my conversations with Coach Rob and Mr. Nicholson and I realized that the Bayou Classic date was set in 1974, and the I-AA playoff didn't start until 1978....then I got to wondering why the NCAA couldn't wait until after the Bayou Classic to set the brackets....

The official version was that they were concerned about the length of the steason and pushing them back a week would have been harmful....then the NCAA expanded the field and added a whole other round of games, which sorta negated their position....And then with the rise of the BCS, they pushed things back even further and let teams with split conferences have a championship game, plus playoff games and a really late national championshiip.

The obvious answer is that the NCAA could, if they were of a mind to do so, tweak the playoff brackets to accommodate the SWAC. They just don't want to....

I've given Grambling grief about their schedule, which includes NAIA's Langston, et al, but I then I remembered some of Coach's Rob's stories about who they played in the early days, the limited number of teams who'd line up with them and the lengths they'd have to go to in order to get a full season...I think back in the day, they'd often play Langston and other small schools more than once a season...He also told me how sometimes there would be talk of them playing some of the marquee teams in the country, but those never really came to fruition....at least not until after integration when Grambling's talent pool was watered down...

Anyway, all that to say that I think the Classics are awesome....Langston and Clark Atlanta use the games with Grambling, et al, like we use Money games against FBS teams. And considering their historical ties, I think the decision to forego the playoffs in favor of the Classic games makes total sense....It was one thing to see the Bayou Classic on TV...it was something else to hear Coach Rob and Mr. Nicholson talk about ....but being there and experiencing it with the right historical perspective? I can't even adequately describe it. It's a spectacle. I've been to fantastic games....McNeese beating an Armanti Edwards led App State team in 2009 at the Rock. I've seen great playoff games and top matchups...I've seen games at BCS stadiums. None of them have anything on the Classic Games....

The rest of us need to STFU and let the SWAC do it's thing. If PWC fans want to see the SWAC in the playoffs, tell the NCAA to get its **** together and make some accomodations. It's 2020 for cyring out loud.

Read the book about the missing game. It was featured on ESPN a few years back about the meeting between Morgan State and The University of Maryland back in the 60s. Til this day the Maryland record books don't include that game, but Morgan State's does. The game wasn't completed and ended at the half due to the threat of violence with Morgan State up big. Ralph Wiley did an amazing piece on it before he died.

Panther88
January 28th, 2020, 01:48 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/474x/57/56/7b/57567b5f0b3092adf2b834c4dab91524.jpg
(https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiInv_J-KTnAhVjZTUKHXg3A48QjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2Fpin%2F526850 856408540187%2F&psig=AOvVaw1MqYejpegGLCqycA6q0mOC&ust=1580254387068850)

lol The world is looking. lol

Panther88
January 28th, 2020, 01:55 PM
I come from a long line of centenarians

Educate UNH, cx.

Tell him we're anticipating fall 2020 as our make-it or break-it year. If NDSU sends their 3rd string OL/DL AND waterboys, we will do a lot better. NDSU's waterboys were scoring at will 4th qrtr when we made the last trip to Fargo. xsmhx

Redbird 4th & short
January 28th, 2020, 02:12 PM
FormerPoke .. I completely agree with your larger point and perspective on HBCUs. In fact, i have applauded the Celebration Bowl and its success.

I would only say, most of the debate has been over who should be ranked or get bids and who shouldn't. That simple aspect keeps getting lost in all of this back and forth. I have tried very hard to make that clear .... but having no success.

Anyway, good post and reminder ... historical perspectives are always important.

Grizalltheway
January 28th, 2020, 02:13 PM
lol The world is looking. lol
No it isn't. lol

cx500d
January 28th, 2020, 03:35 PM
Educate UNH, cx.

Tell him we're anticipating fall 2020 as our make-it or break-it year. If NDSU sends their 3rd string OL/DL AND waterboys, we will do a lot better. NDSU's waterboys were scoring at will 4th qrtr when we made the last trip to Fargo. xsmhx
O cmon, you guys scored a TD!

BadlandsGrizFan
January 28th, 2020, 03:58 PM
Its the Brawl by a Mile......if you havent experienced, its a must see for any FCS fan. The pageantry and presentation leading up to and during the game is the best the FCS has to offer.

Also, it divides the entire state for about a two week period. Your either a Griz, or a Cat...theres no in between. Parties are thrown in every town all across the state during the game. When the Griz went on "The Streak" it added a level of hatred like none other. Just recently Cat fans that are in their 40s or younger are basically experiencing the best run theyve ever seen during the rivalry.

When I was younger it was guaranteed the Griz would win.....then it moved to the Griz are probably going to win this...to this is going to be a crap shoot....to man I hope we can end this run we are currently in, lol. If I would have had to endure 17 straight like the Cats fans had to, I may have quit watching football.

Also some AMAZING quotes come out of this game. My favorite is Bobby Haucks after a dominating win over the Cats...I just wish there were 5 quarters so we could kick their ass some more-​ Bobby

Panther88
January 28th, 2020, 04:12 PM
O cmon, you guys scored a TD!

You all put your 2nd string cheerleaders in the game during the 4th quarter. :( Bison could've scored 100pts by half-time so thank god for mercy that day. lol & xsmhx

NDSU showed us what big-time college football actually looks and sounds like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VYi6akd3Ag

Sader87
January 28th, 2020, 04:14 PM
It's too bad UConn-Yale is a thing of the past. That seemed to be a very intense rivalry at one point. A lot of the Ivy-Flagship State U were (or are) good rivalries. UNH-Dartmouth is probably the best one still around these days. URI-Brown still play every year but historically neither program has had much sustained success ovah the years.

Again, a shame that Princeton and Rutgers didn't play this past year on the 150th.

FormerPokeCenter
January 28th, 2020, 05:27 PM
a shame that Princeton and Rutgers didn't play this past year on the 150th.

Total lack of vision by both schools...

OR...perhaps there was an institutional decision to downplay their respective roles in what has become a symbol of male dominance and aggression ;)

Professor
January 29th, 2020, 10:27 AM
Total lack of vision by both schools...

OR...perhaps there was an institutional decision to downplay their respective roles in what has become a symbol of male dominance and aggression ;)

NCAA dropped ball as well. Someone should have been aware at NCAA

MSUBobcat
January 29th, 2020, 02:40 PM
Its the Brawl by a Mile......if you havent experienced, its a must see for any FCS fan. The pageantry and presentation leading up to and during the game is the best the FCS has to offer.

Also, it divides the entire state for about a two week period. Your either a Griz, or a Cat...theres no in between. Parties are thrown in every town all across the state during the game. When the Griz went on "The Streak" it added a level of hatred like none other. Just recently Cat fans that are in their 40s or younger are basically experiencing the best run theyve ever seen during the rivalry.

When I was younger it was guaranteed the Griz would win.....then it moved to the Griz are probably going to win this...to this is going to be a crap shoot....to man I hope we can end this run we are currently in, lol. If I would have had to endure 17 straight like the Cats fans had to, I may have quit watching football.

Also some AMAZING quotes come out of this game. My favorite is Bobby Haucks after a dominating win over the Cats...I just wish there were 5 quarters so we could kick their ass some more-​ Bobby

Hey! It was 16 years, pal! And you're currently a 1/4 of the way to experiencing it. xnodx

Anthony215
January 29th, 2020, 02:47 PM
In PA at the FCS level it has to be Lehigh/Lafayette as both schools are conference rivals and are just 25 minutes apart

skinny_uncle
January 30th, 2020, 11:55 AM
SIU and Ill State gets a bit dicey at times.

Grizalltheway
January 30th, 2020, 12:09 PM
Hey! It was 16 years, pal! And you're currently a 1/4 of the way to experiencing it. xnodx
There's about as much chance of it getting to 16 as there is of Mississippi Valley State winning the chipper next year.xcoffeexxcoffeex

NY Crusader 2010
January 30th, 2020, 01:02 PM
Is UND joining The Valley in football?

citdog
January 30th, 2020, 01:09 PM
It's not really a rivalry unless there has been a roadside mascot murder.

xnodx

clenz
January 30th, 2020, 01:18 PM
Well then SDSU and USD win

TheKingpin28
January 30th, 2020, 02:09 PM
Is UND joining The Valley in football?Joining, yes. Competing, no.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

OL FU
January 30th, 2020, 02:20 PM

xnodx

xmadx I've been waiting for my luggage to get to my room all damn dayxmadx

citdog
January 30th, 2020, 03:08 PM
xmadx I've been waiting for my luggage to get to my room all damn dayxmadx

27-10

BadlandsGrizFan
January 30th, 2020, 04:27 PM

I wont hold my breath.

cx500d
January 30th, 2020, 04:39 PM

xnodx
True...you don’t see the Sioux mascot anymore, do you....

NY Crusader 2010
January 30th, 2020, 05:33 PM
Montana-Montana State on this list.

Seems that all of the Dakota schools probably view NDSU as their main rival but NDSU views SDSU as such, at least right now.

William & Mary-Richmond would be up there if we're talking about the 60's, 70's or 80's but the issue is that it seems like the two schools are never both really good in football at the same time. And most Tribe fans probably hate JMU more than they hate Richmond these days.

There are also probably about ten HCBU rivalries that should be on the list, given the overall passion for the game at these schools. If I had to guess, I would say that Grambling-Southern is the best intrastate rivalry in the country at the FCS level and I'm sure that ASU-A&M, Alcorn-Jackson, TSU-PVSU, and FAMU-B/C are just as fierce. NCAT-NCCU maybe not as much since Central is fairly new to DI.

Dartmouth-UNH could be a great rivalry if they committed to playing EVERY year and if there would be consistent back-and-forth in the series. Not going to look it up but I bet Dartmouth got out to a huge lead in the early days and UNH has probably won something like 18 of the last 20.

bonarae - Holy Cross probably sees in-state Harvard as its biggest football rival since the conclusion of the BC home-and-home series in 1986 but obviously that sentiment doesn't QUITE go both ways.

NDSU1980
January 30th, 2020, 06:03 PM
Is UND joining The Valley in football?

More like tagging along behind NDSU.

WileECoyote06
January 30th, 2020, 06:49 PM
Montana-Montana State on this list.

Seems that all of the Dakota schools probably view NDSU as their main rival but NDSU views SDSU as such, at least right now.

William & Mary-Richmond would be up there if we're talking about the 60's, 70's or 80's but the issue is that it seems like the two schools are never both really good in football at the same time. And most Tribe fans probably hate JMU more than they hate Richmond these days.

There are also probably about ten HCBU rivalries that should be on the list, given the overall passion for the game at these schools. If I had to guess, I would say that Grambling-Southern is the best intrastate rivalry in the country at the FCS level and I'm sure that ASU-A&M, Alcorn-Jackson, TSU-PVSU, and FAMU-B/C are just as fierce. NCAT-NCCU maybe not as much since Central is fairly new to DI.

Dartmouth-UNH could be a great rivalry if they committed to playing EVERY year and if there would be consistent back-and-forth in the series. Not going to look it up but I bet Dartmouth got out to a huge lead in the early days and UNH has probably won something like 18 of the last 20.

bonarae - Holy Cross probably sees in-state Harvard as its biggest football rival since the conclusion of the BC home-and-home series in 1986 but obviously that sentiment doesn't QUITE go both ways.

Alcorn - Jackson is nasty. They hate each other.

NY Crusader 2010
January 30th, 2020, 08:08 PM
As a follower of the Patriot League, I totally forgot to touch on Lehigh-Lafayette. This one is up there with just about any of the other FCS intra-state rivalries. Both are loyal and passionate fan bases, even when their teams are having down years. In my opinion, LU-LC is a better, more organic, football rivalry than Harvard-Yale. Here's why. Harvard-Yale has the appearance of a Homecoming on steroids with more people there for the event, the tailgate, the networking and the Instagram pics than because they are actual die hard fans of the team. I would guess that 85% of the crowd at any Harvard-Yale game hasn't attended another Harvard or Yale game during the season. Plus you have some of the "college football bucket list" crowd that goes. At a sold-out Lehigh-Lafayette game, the vast majority in the stands at least follow the teams casually throughout the year and are likely to attend at least one or two other games during the season. And you won't have to worry about a political protest breaking out at halftime.

A couple other FCS rivalries I thought about:

Nicholls-McNeese -- this one could have potential but Nicholls was god awful for as long as I've followed college football until about 3 years ago. This one could grow if both programs stay in and around the top of the Southland and FCS Top 25 moving forward.

Furman-Wofford -- both Christian colleges in South Carolina with a recent history of winning. Citadel in state as well but The Citadel-VMI rivalry is the much bigger deal for older Bulldog alumni.

Sub-Division I:

Williams-Amherst
Cortland-Ithaca -- played at MetLife Stadium this year, more notorious for the party than for the game aka "Cortaca"

I imagine there must be some historical HCBU rivalries in Division II -- Virginia State-Virginia Union?

St. John's-St. Thomas in Division III.

FormerPokeCenter
January 30th, 2020, 08:45 PM
Nicholls gives us their best game every single time out. I'm not sure I want them looking at this like a rivalry. Let them do that whole most hated rival thing with SELA.

They generally give us all we want and then some without the need for any added motivation...

katss07
January 30th, 2020, 09:42 PM
As a follower of the Patriot League, I totally forgot to touch on Lehigh-Lafayette. This one is up there with just about any of the other FCS intra-state rivalries. Both are loyal and passionate fan bases, even when their teams are having down years. In my opinion, LU-LC is a better, more organic, football rivalry than Harvard-Yale. Here's why. Harvard-Yale has the appearance of a Homecoming on steroids with more people there for the event, the tailgate, the networking and the Instagram pics than because they are actual die hard fans of the team. I would guess that 85% of the crowd at any Harvard-Yale game hasn't attended another Harvard or Yale game during the season. Plus you have some of the "college football bucket list" crowd that goes. At a sold-out Lehigh-Lafayette game, the vast majority in the stands at least follow the teams casually throughout the year and are likely to attend at least one or two other games during the season. And you won't have to worry about a political protest breaking out at halftime.

A couple other FCS rivalries I thought about:

Nicholls-McNeese -- this one could have potential but Nicholls was god awful for as long as I've followed college football until about 3 years ago. This one could grow if both programs stay in and around the top of the Southland and FCS Top 25 moving forward.

Furman-Wofford -- both Christian colleges in South Carolina with a recent history of winning. Citadel in state as well but The Citadel-VMI rivalry is the much bigger deal for older Bulldog alumni.

Sub-Division I:

Williams-Amherst
Cortland-Ithaca -- played at MetLife Stadium this year, more notorious for the party than for the game aka "Cortaca"

I imagine there must be some historical HCBU rivalries in Division II -- Virginia State-Virginia Union?

Feel free to clarify Nicholls or SELA fans, but I’m pretty sure the River Bell game is a much bigger rivalry than McNeese/Nicholls. At least that’s what I’ve gathered from following the SLC for a while now.

Nicholls and SELA games are always fun and have something on the line. At least they have in these past 3-4 years. Nicholls also used to be pretty big rivals with TS-SM. But obviously that is no more.

lionsrking2
January 31st, 2020, 03:10 AM
Feel free to clarify Nicholls or SELA fans, but I’m pretty sure the River Bell game is a much bigger rivalry than McNeese/Nicholls. At least that’s what I’ve gathered from following the SLC for a while now.

Nicholls and SELA games are always fun and have something on the line. At least they have in these past 3-4 years. Nicholls also used to be pretty big rivals with TS-SM. But obviously that is no more.

It's way bigger. Don't get me wrong, we're all rivals with each other to the extent we're in state and compete for a lot of the same kids, but it's magnified between the Lions and Colonels. The games are always well attended regardless of records, we share the same base and there are families with dual loyalties. Heck, Tim Rebowe attended both schools. It'll sting for years to come but the 2019 game was epic.

Gil Dobie
January 31st, 2020, 08:20 AM
More like tagging along behind NDSU.

The saying is, If you want to lead go to NDSU, if you want to follow. Go to UND.

Laker
January 31st, 2020, 08:24 AM

Unfortunately this will end since the MIAC is kicking out UST. And UST isn't really against it.

I was working Clem Haskins basketball camp at UST years ago. Saw a local wearing a shirt- "Tommies suck, but Johnnies swallow!"

Professor Chaos
January 31st, 2020, 12:33 PM
Unfortunately this will end since the MIAC is kicking out UST. And UST isn't really against it.

I was working Clem Haskins basketball camp at UST years ago. Saw a local wearing a shirt- "Tommies suck, but Johnnies swallow!"
I've heard coffee talk that behind the scenes St Thomas was on board with the whole ouster due to "competitive imbalance" because they wanted a good enough excuse to petition the NCAA to bypass D2 and move straight to D1 from D3. Who knows whether there's any truth whatsoever to that but it does seem like they've been pretty accepting of this whole deal and their nice soft landing in the Summit/Pioneer League sure came about awful quickly.

ASU33
January 31st, 2020, 03:24 PM
Alcorn - Jackson is nasty. They hate each other.

It's gotten very intense since Alcorn's program has gotten better. Jackson State used to kid Alcorn about never going to a SWAC Championship game and being irrelevant since Steve McNair but since 2013 the tables have turned. Alcorn has 6 straight SWAC Championship Game appearances with Conference titles in 2014, 2015, 2018, and 2019, 3 Celebration Bowl appearances while Jackson State hasn't had a winning season since 2013 and hasn't won a conference title since 2007.

Silenoz
January 31st, 2020, 03:56 PM
UM/MSU is almost at borderline unhealthy levels. No one's been stabbed (as far as I know) so we haven't reached that point.

I have my theories as to why that is. Mostly centering around MSU fans really couldn't stand the thought that a bunch of hippie liberals would dare presume they were better than them at anything, and then rub their faces in it for 16 years. Of course now Bozeman itself is overrun with liberal yuppie types in an ironic twist...

Really the answer is tribalism though. There's always gotta be an "enemy," and when your state is on an island it may was well be that other town 200 miles away that's the closest thing to your own.

Silenoz
January 31st, 2020, 04:04 PM
Also, the intentional snubbing of UND by NDSU fans in this thread actually speaks for itself. UM fans used to do the same thing to the likes of MSU and EWU, before we began our era of suck. It speaks volumes if anything...

A Bison loss to UND would be a 1000x times bigger ****show than a NDSU loss to anyone else. Hell, any loss by anyone else in FCS. Guaranteed. That tells us all we need to know about what's simmering below the surface in all yours' heads.

Grizalltheway
January 31st, 2020, 04:04 PM
UM/MSU is almost at borderline unhealthy levels. No one's been stabbed (as far as I know) so we haven't reached that point.

I have my theories as to why that is. Mostly centering around MSU fans really couldn't stand the thought that a bunch of hippie liberals would dare presume they were better than them at anything, and then rub their faces in it for 16 years. Of course now Bozeman itself is overrun with liberal yuppie types in an ironic twist...

Really the answer is tribalism though. There's always gotta be an "enemy," and when your state is on an island it may was well be that other town 200 miles away that's the closest thing to your own.
QFT.

Professor Chaos
January 31st, 2020, 05:37 PM
Also, the intentional snubbing of UND by NDSU fans in this thread actually speaks for itself. UM fans used to do the same thing to the likes of MSU and EWU, before we began our era of suck. It speaks volumes if anything...

A Bison loss to UND would be a 1000x times bigger ****show than a NDSU loss to anyone else. Hell, any loss by anyone else in FCS. Guaranteed. That tells us all we need to know about what's simmering below the surface in all yours' heads.
Then it might be a rivalry... until then it's not.

POD Knows
January 31st, 2020, 05:44 PM

A Bison loss to UND would be a 1000x times bigger ****show than a NDSU loss to anyone else. Hell, any loss by anyone else in FCS. Guaranteed. That tells us all we need to know about what's simmering below the surface in all yours' heads.It wouldn't be a 1000X bigger **** show, maybe 100X bigger because losing to a 4 TD dog will have a tendency to get a guys drawers in a wad.

Grizzlies82
January 31st, 2020, 05:48 PM

In one form or another "Us versus them" is rather universal. Though specifically, in part the Cat/Griz intensity is a function of Cat fans having enormous arrogance back in the 1970's and early 1980's. Back then they won their only two National Championships (1976 and 1984) and typically in 4 out of 5 years the Cats would beat the Grizzlies. Their fan bases' level of condescension and overblown egos were unmatched. Then it all changed.

Montana began beating MT State EVERY YEAR and often by 30 to 40 points. The former cock of the walk was now the certified "lil brother". By the mid-1990's you couldn't find a Bobcat tee shirt, baseball cap, or license plate anywhere outside of the town of Bozeman. They still had fans but it was as if they were lepers, hidden away in their colonies.

After losing to Montana for 16 straight years virtually nobody would admit to being a Bobcat fan. The few who did fell into two groups, the older ones who remembered and couldn't believe how far their team had fell, and the younger ones who grew up thinking "Damn it Montana always wins!". In both cases these Cat fans believed that the Grizzly fans had invented arrogance. Their older fans forgot their own staggering arrogance and the younger fans couldn't dream of the Cats doing anything to be arrogant about. Both were confused and had developed an inferiority complex. Grizzly fans were arrogant and exploited this but it was at an expected level.

When MT State finally beat Montana things began to get more in balance. It went for about a decade with the teams roughly splitting it between them. Though there are deep unhealed emotional scars in many Bobcat fans. It is rather understandable, when they finally broke the "streak" virtually none of their students or players were old enough to really remember the last time it happened. Think about that. At best some might have a vague early childhood memory on Bozeman winning. That is going to mess with your head. They don't really know how to react. It's kind of like the kid with overly strict parents who drinks WAY TOO much when he first gains some freedom.

Now the Cats have won 4 in a row. Everyone who ever attended the school has bought new Bobcat gear (since any gear they had was burned or buried years ago). This new shiny Blue & Gold has come out on to the streets. Their team actually kicked the Grizzlies ass this year. Consequently the level of Bozo ARROGANCE is currently HUGE. None the less, it still isn't the level they exhibited back in the 1970's and 1980's. Though their fan base is building towards it again.

In short, bitterness follows when the mighty falls. Bobcat fans are a case study in this. Montana fans might be too if their team fails to win for another decade. Check with me in 2032. We'll see then.

bobcathpdevil56
February 1st, 2020, 10:09 PM
In one form or another "Us versus them" is rather universal. Though specifically, in part the Cat/Griz intensity is a function of Cat fans having enormous arrogance back in the 1970's and early 1980's. Back then they won their only two National Championships (1976 and 1984) and typically in 4 out of 5 years the Cats would beat the Grizzlies. Their fan bases' level of condescension and overblown egos were unmatched. Then it all changed.

Montana began beating MT State EVERY YEAR and often by 30 to 40 points. The former cock of the walk was now the certified "lil brother". By the mid-1990's you couldn't find a Bobcat tee shirt, baseball cap, or license plate anywhere outside of the town of Bozeman. They still had fans but it was as if they were lepers, hidden away in their colonies.

After losing to Montana for 16 straight years virtually nobody would admit to being a Bobcat fan. The few who did fell into two groups, the older ones who remembered and couldn't believe how far their team had fell, and the younger ones who grew up thinking "Damn it Montana always wins!". In both cases these Cat fans believed that the Grizzly fans had invented arrogance. Their older fans forgot their own staggering arrogance and the younger fans couldn't dream of the Cats doing anything to be arrogant about. Both were confused and had developed an inferiority complex. Grizzly fans were arrogant and exploited this but it was at an expected level.

When MT State finally beat Montana things began to get more in balance. It went for about a decade with the teams roughly splitting it between them. Though there are deep unhealed emotional scars in many Bobcat fans. It is rather understandable, when they finally broke the "streak" virtually none of their students or players were old enough to really remember the last time it happened. Think about that. At best some might have a vague early childhood memory on Bozeman winning. That is going to mess with your head. They don't really know how to react. It's kind of like the kid with overly strict parents who drinks WAY TOO much when he first gains some freedom.

Now the Cats have won 4 in a row. Everyone who ever attended the school has bought new Bobcat gear (since any gear they had was burned or buried years ago). This new shiny Blue & Gold has come out on to the streets. Their team actually kicked the Grizzlies ass this year. Consequently the level of Bozo ARROGANCE is currently HUGE. None the less, it still isn't the level they exhibited back in the 1970's and 1980's. Though their fan base is building towards it again.

In short, bitterness follows when the mighty falls. Bobcat fans are a case study in this. Montana fans might be too if their team fails to win for another decade. Check with me in 2032. We'll see then.

This post just screams, “Hi kettle have you met pot?”

frozennorth
February 2nd, 2020, 04:24 AM

not giving a **** about the other team in the state means the rivalry is actually huge? Brilliant take.

Redbird 4th & short
February 2nd, 2020, 10:35 AM
not giving a **** about the other team in the state means the rivalry is actually huge? Brilliant take.
eh .... based on the Bison derogatory posting towards all things UND on AGS, I don't think anyone objectively believes NDSU fans don't "give a sh-t" about UND. The disdain is obvious, even while attempting to be dismissive.

https://media1.giphy.com/media/baANiTUH8i7wk/source.gif
(https://giphy.com/gifs/the-breakfast-club-judd-nelson-john-bender-baANiTUH8i7wk)

TheKingpin28
February 2nd, 2020, 11:37 AM
eh .... based on the Bison derogatory posting towards all things UND on AGS, I don't think anyone objectively believes NDSU fans don't "give a sh-t" about UND. The disdain is obvious, even while attempting to be dismissive.

(https://giphy.com/gifs/the-breakfast-club-judd-nelson-john-bender-baANiTUH8i7wk)

A rival challenges you both physically and mentally both on and off the field. The community college in Grand Forks does neither for NDSU.

clenz
February 2nd, 2020, 12:07 PM

(https://giphy.com/gifs/the-breakfast-club-judd-nelson-john-bender-baANiTUH8i7wk)This is the single most accurate post I've seen on this forum ever.

NDSU fans spend more time finding ways to talking about UND here and Twitter than anyone else does any other school.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Redbird 4th & short
February 2nd, 2020, 12:16 PM
A rival challenges you both physically and mentally both on and off the field. The community college in Grand Forks does neither for NDSU.
so not sure if this site is current version of Bisonville or not, but here is direct quote at top of web pageon "Rivals": http://www.bisonville.com/rivals.html

Great Games and Great Rivalries

North Dakota State has been involved in many great games and rivalries. Their biggest rival is the University of North Dakota but this page is devoted to non-conference rivals such as Pittsburg State and Cal-Davis. Not all the great games are listed here. The process of compiling and researching is an ongoing one.

Redbird 4th & short
February 2nd, 2020, 02:43 PM
And still more ... there used to be a Nickel Trophy that stopped after 2003, right after UND had won 10 of 13 games from 1993-2003, and holds the overall edge at 62-47-3. Talks of resuming the rivalry game have recently resurfaced:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_Trophy.

So yeah, it was a longstanding big rivalry game dating back to 1894 .. not that UND could have competed with NDSU in the last decade.
Game results[edit (https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Nickel_Trophy&action=edit&section=4)]

North Dakota victories
North Dakota State victories
Tie games

No.
Date
Score

Grand Forks, ND (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Forks,_ND)
North Dakota Agricultural
20–4

Fargo, ND (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fargo,_ND)
24–4

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
42–0

Fargo, ND
12–4

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
58–12

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
39–0

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
20–0

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
39–6

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
46–0

Fargo, ND
16–0

Grand Forks, ND
17–11

Grand Forks, ND
47–0

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
22–0

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
17–0

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
23–5

Fargo, ND
Tie
11–11

Fargo, ND
32–4

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
18–0

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
3–0

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
20–14

Grand Forks, ND
7–6

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
20–0

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
10–0

Fargo, ND
20–6

Grand Forks, ND
7–6

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
14–7

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
38–3

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
7–0

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
10–3

Fargo, ND
20–7

Grand Forks, ND
19–10

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
7–6

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
13–0

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
18–0

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
14–0

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
14–7

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
20–12

Fargo, ND
7–6

Grand Forks, ND
Tie
7–7

Fargo, ND
7–0

Grand Forks, ND
Tie
20–20

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
14–0

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
27–0

Fargo, ND
17–13

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
18–0

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
24–0

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
20–6

Fargo, ND
26–14

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
20–12

Fargo, ND
26–7

Grand Forks, ND
31–0

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
25–20

Grand Forks, ND
19–7

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
13–6

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
33–0

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
33–14

Grand Forks, ND
14–13

No.
Date
Score

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
26–6

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
40–7

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
21–0

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
14–7

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
9–0

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
36–0

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
20–15

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
16–7

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
26–6

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
30–7

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
21–7

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
20–13

Fargo, ND
North Dakota State
6–3

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota State
18–15

Fargo, ND
North Dakota State
34–10

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota State
14–8

Fargo, ND
North Dakota State
64–14

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota State
20–3

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
23–7

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota State
22–17

Fargo, ND
North Dakota State
21–14

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
31–20

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
34–17

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota State
22–15

Fargo, ND
North Dakota State
45–20

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
24–21

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
14–7

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
38–20

Fargo, ND
North Dakota State
31–7

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota State
10–3

Fargo, ND
North Dakota State
23–6

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota State
14–3

Fargo, ND
North Dakota State
49–0

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota State
62–13

Fargo, ND
North Dakota State
42–10

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota State
34–27

Fargo, ND
North Dakota State
21–0

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota State
42–14

Fargo, ND
North Dakota State
35–28

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota State
20–19

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
22–21

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
34–13

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
17–7

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
21–7

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota State
41–10

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
33–19

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota State
31–10

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
39–25

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
13–10

Fargo, ND
North Dakota State
16–13

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
19–7

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
12–6

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
28–21

Fargo, ND
North Dakota State
34–9

Fargo, ND
North Dakota State
38–7

Series: North Dakota leads 62–47–3

TheKingpin28
February 2nd, 2020, 03:28 PM
so not sure if this site is current version of Bisonville or not, but here is direct quote at top of web pageon "Rivals": http://www.bisonville.com/rivals.html

Great Games and Great Rivalries

North Dakota State has been involved in many great games and rivalries. Their biggest rival is the University of North Dakota but this page is devoted to non-conference rivals such as Pittsburg State and Cal-Davis. Not all the great games are listed here. The process of compiling and researching is an ongoing one.

I do not partake in bisonville. I go there for questions about recruiting and that is about it.

Hammersmith
February 2nd, 2020, 03:52 PM
It's obvious UND will always be a rival of some sort for NDSU. The schools compete for students, state and private funding, media notice, and now conference championships. The question is whether they're a competitive rival on the field right now.

The answer is mostly no. In most/all sports, the UND game is a bigger deal than a typical game, but I don't think there's any sport where it's the biggest regular game anymore.

Football is SDSU/UNI/JMU. Basketball is SDSU/USD. Track is USD(I think). Volleyball/soccer might be UND for lack of anyone else. Softball - is anyone competitive with NDSU in the Summit?

For a bit of proof, look at the attendance for NDSU/UND games when the rivalry resumed several years back. At first, MBB games needed to be in a bigger venue(Fargodome/Alerus). Within a few years, the games were back in the regular venues because attendance had dropped. A few years after that, even the regular venues weren't selling out the games anymore. It's still a rivalry, but it's not nearly what it used to be in decades past.

BisonFan02
February 2nd, 2020, 05:24 PM
It's obvious UND will always be a rival of some sort for NDSU. The schools compete for students, state and private funding, media notice, and now conference championships. The question is whether they're a competitive rival on the field right now.

The answer is mostly no. In most/all sports, the UND game is a bigger deal than a typical game, but I don't think there's any sport where it's the biggest regular game anymore.

Football is SDSU/UNI/JMU. Basketball is SDSU/USD. Track is USD(I think). Volleyball/soccer might be UND for lack of anyone else. Softball - is anyone competitive with NDSU in the Summit?

For a bit of proof, look at the attendance for NDSU/UND games when the rivalry resumed several years back. At first, MBB games needed to be in a bigger venue(Fargodome/Alerus). Within a few years, the games were back in the regular venues because attendance had dropped. A few years after that, even the regular venues weren't selling out the games anymore. It's still a rivalry, but it's not nearly what it used to be in decades past.

I'm old enough to remember when they were DII rivals. Most of the vitriol of the guys in their mid 30s and older is how the D1 transition happened. Its a guilty pleasure to continually rub their faces in their own bull****. It never gets old. xlolx Now most UND fans view FCS football as JV...which is some sort of way they justify being average/terrible at it....then comes out the hockey. :D

Posted for reference:

Despite win, NDSU football still sucks

By Derrik T. Sovak (http://www.dakotastudent.com/search?q=Derrik T. Sovak)
Published: Tuesday, August 31, 2004
Updated: Sunday, November 8, 2009 01:11

I thought that I might have trouble writing this column. But after I reviewed all the facts surrounding our overzealous neighbors to the south at North Dakota State, I realized that talking **** about them just gets easier and easier.

On Saturday, NDSU hosted Valparaiso to a crowd of just over 18,000. They absolutely stomped Valpo to the tune of 52-0. As I watched local sports highlights and saw all of the Bison players patting each other's back for the ousting, I wondered how they were going to look at themselves in the mirror without laughing.

Note to NDSU: Valparaiso offers no scholarships to their players. That means that they have less of a recruiting pool than Bethune-Cookman. Valpo also plays in the Pioneer Football League, which is almost as prestigious as NDSU's Great West Conference. Both these conferences look like the island of misfit schools. And when you get two teams like the Bison and the Crusaders on the field it's almost a toss up.

The Bison were a sub-par team in Division II football last year, and the Crusaders finished 8-4 without a playoff appearance last season. So what happened in Fargo on Saturday was as far away from amazing as you can get without actually being at the Neverland Ranch.

Everyone is so excited around the NDSU campus. Football means something to these people. But I feel it my duty to be the asshole and let them in on a little secret. For the next decade, NDSU football will be as arbitrary as paying .40 cents for ranch at Buffalo Wild Wings after running up a $500 bar tab.

Saturday's matchup was between two unranked schools in leagues that mean nothing to anyone. A win is a win but when I'd still rather watch a team of midgets play a team of chimpanzees.

This is an old argument. I said it last year, and it's no secret that I think NDSU's move to DI was a terrible decision. So I don't want NDSU to get their hopes up too high. If they really think that every team they play in that other Division is going to lie down and take it like its their first time, they're wrong.

Just like when the Bison were getting crushed by DII teams every weekend, they will face a team that hands them a 52-0 loss and then we in Grand Forks will hear the griping and crying from the south. And I can say proudly that I saw it coming.

On the other hand, UND had a barn-burner against Delta State - the number 2 and 10 teams in the country - in GF on Saturday. I witnessed great things in that game and there's a chance that we could see those teams meet again in the near future. Valpo won't be back in Fargo unless either they or the Bison need to fill their already defunct schedules next season.

I feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that at UND football still has pride. I like knowing that, even though we're "only Division II" we still can watch two ranked teams play in a city like Grand Forks. It makes for good football, which we won't see in Fargo for a long time.

It also came to my attention that NDSU has revolutionized college football by introducing something called tailgating at their games.

Take this as you may, but your football program is not going to prosper any faster just because some freshman had a beer before the game. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm going to wait with bated breath for the Montana Tech game in a couple of weeks.

R.I.P. Bison Athletics.

Professor Chaos
February 3rd, 2020, 07:34 AM

This is a good synopsis of it. People can call it a rivalry if they want but if it is it's a shell of a shell of the rivalry it used to be. That's why many of us don't want to call it a rivalry... it's almost an insult to the term considering what it used to be. If NDSU/UND is a rivalry now it was something more than just a rivalry in the mid-90s through the early 2000s.

Gil Dobie
February 3rd, 2020, 08:07 AM
And still more ... there used to be a Nickel Trophy that stopped after 2003, right after UND had won 10 of 13 games from 1993-2003, and holds the overall edge at 62-47-3. Talks of resuming the rivalry game have recently resurfaced:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_Trophy.

So yeah, it was a longstanding big rivalry game dating back to 1894 .. not that UND could have competed with NDSU in the last decade.
Game results[edit (https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Nickel_Trophy&action=edit&section=4)]

North Dakota victories
North Dakota State victories
Tie games

No.
Date
Score

Grand Forks, ND (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Forks,_ND)
20–4

Fargo, ND (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fargo,_ND)
24–4

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
42–0

Fargo, ND
12–4

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
58–12

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
39–0

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
20–0

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
39–6

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
46–0

Fargo, ND
16–0

Grand Forks, ND
17–11

Grand Forks, ND
47–0

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
22–0

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
17–0

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
23–5

Fargo, ND
Tie
11–11

Fargo, ND
32–4

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
18–0

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
3–0

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
20–14

Grand Forks, ND
7–6

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
20–0

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
10–0

Fargo, ND
20–6

Grand Forks, ND
7–6

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
14–7

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
38–3

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
7–0

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
10–3

Fargo, ND
20–7

Grand Forks, ND
19–10

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
7–6

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
13–0

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
18–0

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
14–0

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
14–7

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
20–12

Fargo, ND
7–6

Grand Forks, ND
Tie
7–7

Fargo, ND
7–0

Grand Forks, ND
Tie
20–20

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
14–0

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
27–0

Fargo, ND
17–13

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
18–0

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
24–0

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
20–6

Fargo, ND
26–14

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
20–12

Fargo, ND
26–7

Grand Forks, ND
31–0

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
25–20

Grand Forks, ND
19–7

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
13–6

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
33–0

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
33–14

Grand Forks, ND
14–13

No.
Date
Score

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
26–6

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
40–7

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
21–0

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
14–7

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
9–0

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
36–0

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
20–15

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
16–7

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
26–6

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
30–7

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
21–7

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
20–13

Fargo, ND
North Dakota State
6–3

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota State
18–15

Fargo, ND
North Dakota State
34–10

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota State
14–8

Fargo, ND
North Dakota State
64–14

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota State
20–3

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
23–7

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota State
22–17

Fargo, ND
North Dakota State
21–14

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
31–20

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
34–17

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota State
22–15

Fargo, ND
North Dakota State
45–20

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
24–21

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
14–7

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
38–20

Fargo, ND
North Dakota State
31–7

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota State
10–3

Fargo, ND
North Dakota State
23–6

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota State
14–3

Fargo, ND
North Dakota State
49–0

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota State
62–13

Fargo, ND
North Dakota State
42–10

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota State
34–27

Fargo, ND
North Dakota State
21–0

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota State
42–14

Fargo, ND
North Dakota State
35–28

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota State
20–19

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
22–21

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
34–13

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
17–7

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
21–7

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota State
41–10

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
33–19

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota State
31–10

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
39–25

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
13–10

Fargo, ND
North Dakota State
16–13

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
19–7

Fargo, ND
North Dakota
12–6

Grand Forks, ND
North Dakota
28–21

Fargo, ND
North Dakota State
34–9

Fargo, ND
North Dakota State
38–7

Series: North Dakota leads 62–47–3

After the 1906 game that UND was defeated rather soundly, UND refused to play again until 1910.

Redbird 4th & short
February 3rd, 2020, 08:07 AM
I'm old enough to remember when they were DII rivals. Most of the vitriol of the guys in their mid 30s and older is how the D1 transition happened. Its a guilty pleasure to continually rub their faces in their own bull****. It never gets old. xlolx Now most UND fans view FCS football as JV...which is some sort of way they justify being average/terrible at it....then comes out the hockey. :D

By Derrik T. Sovak (http://www.dakotastudent.com/search?q=Derrik%20T.%20Sovak)
Published: Tuesday, August 31, 2004
Updated: Sunday, November 8, 2009 01:11

This is an old argument. I said it last year, and it's no secret that I think NDSU's move to DI was a terrible decision. So I don't want NDSU to get their hopes up too high. If they really think that every team they play in that other Division is going to lie down and take it like its their first time, they're wrong.

Posted for reference:

Well this part did not age too well at all ... ... the move to D-I was what truly separated NDSU from UND on football field. Up until 2003 when the Nickel Fame ended, UND had the clear edge. And UND had a few very good years after 2003. It wasn't until the last decade or so, that NDSU clearly pulled away on football field.

And UND has really struggled since moving to D-I.

Professor Chaos
February 3rd, 2020, 08:46 AM
Up until 1965 UND had the clear edge.
FIFY

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 3rd, 2020, 09:26 AM
FIFY

Those games in the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s were awesome.....I guess? UND fans hang their hats on the head/head padded by those decades. Glory days for UND football....lol

MSUBobcat
February 3rd, 2020, 09:58 AM
There's about as much chance of it getting to 16 as there is of Mississippi Valley State winning the chipper next year.xcoffeexxcoffeex

With the way UM is going, are they even going to be playing D-I athletics in 12 years? I mean, we could schedule you as an OOC, but we won't be traveling to play a D-II school. xcoffeexxcoffeex

MSUBobcat
February 3rd, 2020, 10:05 AM
The saying is, If you want to lead go to NDSU, if you want to follow. Go to UND.

Apparently it depends on your loyalty. Growing up in ND, I always heard the saying as "If you want to RUN a farm, go to NDSU; if you want OWN the farm, go to UND."

Professor Chaos
February 3rd, 2020, 10:07 AM
Apparently it depends on your loyalty. Growing up in ND, I always heard the saying as "If you want to RUN a farm, go to NDSU; if you want OWN the farm, go to UND.
The saying in Fargo has always been "Flush twice. It's a long ways to Grand Forks."

For those who don't get the reference the Red River of the North that flows through both cities flows north.

MSUBobcat
February 3rd, 2020, 10:17 AM

Interesting statement considering UND is the higher ranked school according to US News and World Report.

TheKingpin28
February 3rd, 2020, 10:38 AM
Interesting statement considering UND is the higher ranked school according to US News and World Report.The value of a degree from GFCC is the same as a roll of toilet paper.

Laker
February 3rd, 2020, 10:42 AM
Does anyone else remember the old building on the east side of I-29 about halfway between Fargo and Grand Forks back in the 1990's that had "NDSUcks" painted on it? I haven't noticed it the last time that I drove by- I figured that it caved in.

BisonFan02
February 3rd, 2020, 10:43 AM
The value of a degree from GFCC is the same as a roll of toilet paper.

Both schools have their average specialties. Picking a degree fight between the two of them is moronic. NDSU is a landgrant....UND is a safety law school....yippie. xlolx

Gil Dobie
February 3rd, 2020, 10:53 AM
Does anyone else remember the old building on the east side of I-29 about halfway between Fargo and Grand Forks back in the 1990's that had "NDSUcks" painted on it? I haven't noticed it the last time that I drove by- I figured that it caved in.

It depended on when you drove by. Each school would take turns painting who sucked on the side from time to time.

MSUBobcat
February 3rd, 2020, 11:01 AM
The value of a degree from GFCC is the same as a roll of toilet paper.

If the value of a degree from UND is a roll of toilet paper and they are ranked higher than NDSU, does that mean the value of a degree from NDSU is the same as used toilet paper?

TheKingpin28
February 3rd, 2020, 11:20 AM
Both schools have their average specialties. Picking a degree fight between the two of them is moronic. NDSU is a landgrant....UND is a safety law school....yippie. xlolxWe have enough lawyers, we do not need more.

TheKingpin28
February 3rd, 2020, 11:22 AM
If the value of a degree from UND is a roll of toilet paper and they are ranked higher than NDSU, does that mean the value of a degree from NDSU is the same as used toilet paper?Depends how you use it. My degree has nothing to do with my field and yet I finally have my dream job and I run a department for transportation and logisitc issues. I'll be most likely moving into Strategic Account management and development soon and my degree has nothing to do with it. They just looked at where I got it and they knew I went to a strong math and science based school and that helped secure my position.

Grizalltheway
February 3rd, 2020, 11:23 AM
With the way UM is going, are they even going to be playing D-I athletics in 12 years? I mean, we could schedule you as an OOC, but we won't be traveling to play a D-II school. xcoffeexxcoffeex
Enjoy your moment in the sun while it lasts. God knows you suffered long enough to earn it. xthumbsupx

MSUBobcat
February 3rd, 2020, 11:53 AM
Enjoy your moment in the sun while it lasts. God knows you suffered long enough to earn it. xthumbsupx

Meh. I didn't live in MT until 1997 when I moved here as a junior in HS and had no idea about either school, much less the rivalry, so my suffering basically is equivalent to what UM is currently experiencing (4 years).

POD Knows
February 3rd, 2020, 11:59 AM
Apparently it depends on your loyalty. Growing up in ND, I always heard the saying as "If you want to RUN a farm, go to NDSU; if you want OWN the farm, go to UND."
Yea, that is why NDSU grads earn on average about 10% more than grads of UND. You must have grown up north of highway 200 or county road 4.:D

MSUBobcat
February 3rd, 2020, 12:20 PM
Yea, that is why NDSU grads earn on average about 10% more than grads of UND. You must have grown up north of highway 200 or county road 4.:D

Grew up in Mandan until the 'rents transferred to lovely Glendive, MT. Thanks BNSF! I'll have to take your word that NDSU grads earn 10% more than UND grads. I found this article (http://ndsuspectrum.com/ndsu-ranks-no-1-best-average-starting-salary-nd/) from 2015 that says NDSU grads earn 5.7% more than UND, but then UND is currently claiming grads earn $51k (https://und.edu/admissions/parents.html) so I don't know which school's grad currently make more than the other.

My family is originally from the Bowdon area which is on HWY 200, however.

uni88
February 3rd, 2020, 12:39 PM
Grew up in Mandan until the 'rents transferred to lovely Glendive, MT. Thanks BNSF! I'll have to take your word that NDSU grads earn 10% more than UND grads. I found this article (http://ndsuspectrum.com/ndsu-ranks-no-1-best-average-starting-salary-nd/) from 2015 that says NDSU grads earn 5.7% more than UND, but then UND is currently claiming grads earn $51k (https://und.edu/admissions/parents.html) so I don't know which school's grad currently make more than the other.

My family is originally from the Bowdon area which is on HWY 200, however.

If NDSU and UND are like similar schools than NDSU grads will earn more on average because NDSU grads will focus on engineering, agriculture and other technical degrees while UND will have more liberal arts, education and other lower earning graduates in addition to the business, etc.

MSUBobcat
February 3rd, 2020, 12:48 PM
If NDSU and UND are like similar schools than NDSU grads will earn more on average because NDSU grads will focus on engineering, agriculture and other technical degrees while UND will have more liberal arts, education and other lower earning graduates in addition to the business, etc.

UND is also a premier school for aviation, which pays well, and, while not top tier, also has the law and medical schools which are very well paying careers that pulls up the lower earning grads. Anywho, I've got no dog in the NDSU-UND grad salary fight, so I don't care to research how many of each type of degree each school graduates. I just think it's funny that either school is bashing the other's academics. And yet.... NDSU couldn't care less about UND, supposedly. xlolx

clenz
February 3rd, 2020, 12:53 PM
I just think it's funny that either school is bashing the other's academics. And yet.... NDSU couldn't care less about UND, supposedly. xlolx
That's the real kicker out of it all, isn't it?

They care so little they have to make sure they go out of their way at every possible chance to comment and demean then.

But they don't care at all.

But they just want you to know and then also they want you to know they don't care about it though

POD Knows
February 3rd, 2020, 12:54 PM

My family is originally from the Bowdon area which is on HWY 200, however.I referenced 2018 numbers and it was something like 49K for NDSU and 45K for UND so I rounded up. I might have to look for the link again. Glendive, I have spent quite a few nights in that town on business back when I had that territory.

MSUBobcat
February 3rd, 2020, 12:58 PM
I referenced 2018 numbers and it was something like 49K for NDSU and 45K for UND so I rounded up. I might have to look for the link again. Glendive, I have spent quite a few nights in that town on business back when I had that territory.

I'm sorry......

Gil Dobie
February 3rd, 2020, 04:21 PM
It's not that Bison fans don't care about UND in football, they just don't care like the days when the rivalry was at it's peak.

POD Knows
February 3rd, 2020, 04:50 PM
I'm sorry......Stayed in a lot worse places, you ever been to Wolf Point.

NDSU1980
February 3rd, 2020, 05:33 PM
Just because you ridicule a school doesn't mean they are a rival. On Bisonville I occasionally take pot shots at Jamestown College, which a pathetic little private school down the road from Fargo. I would hardly consider them a rival, especially since they are D3 (and a poor D3 at that). But they sure are great to make fun of.

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 3rd, 2020, 05:37 PM
For the Bison, SDSU has turned into a good rivalry. Not really anyone else in the Valley is the same.

UND is the traditional rival and it might get back to the D2 hate when they win some games.

MSUBobcat
February 3rd, 2020, 05:38 PM
Stayed in a lot worse places, you ever been to Wolf Point.

Yeah, Wolf Point is not awesome and Glendive is far from the worst place I've ever been (I audited in some.... interesting places in AK out of college, and learned of "honey buckets" for the first time), but it's also no paradise. Then again, the disdain I feel for it may be skewed from being yanked out of my lifelong home half way thru my junior year. At least in an attempt to get me to talk to her again, my mom chipped in the other half to buy me a 3 year old Z/28. Not too many 17 YO's driving a 150+ mph car.

Grizzlies82
February 3rd, 2020, 06:31 PM
Yeah, Wolf Point is not awesome and Glendive is far from the worst place I've ever been (I audited in some.... interesting places in AK out of college, and learned of "honey buckets" for the first time), but it's also no paradise. Then again, the disdain I feel for it may be skewed from being yanked out of my lifelong home half way thru my junior year. At least in an attempt to get me to talk to her again, my mom chipped in the other half to buy me a 3 year old Z/28. Not too many 17 YO's driving a 150+ mph car.

MSUBobcat, In light of this info I am glad you're still alive!

BisonFan02
February 3rd, 2020, 07:13 PM
Just because you ridicule a school doesn't mean they are a rival. On Bisonville I occasionally take pot shots at Jamestown College, which a pathetic little private school down the road from Fargo. I would hardly consider them a rival, especially since they are D3 (and a poor D3 at that). But they sure are great to make fun of.

Take all the pot shots you want at my alma mater. xlolx

And that's the University of Jamestown to you.... :D

We are also not D3 either....go take a lap.

NDSU1980
February 3rd, 2020, 09:37 PM
Take all the pot shots you want at my alma mater. xlolx

And that's the University of Jamestown to you.... :D

We are also not D3 either....go take a lap.
So they're still NAIA? I really thought they had actually moved up.

BisonFan02
February 3rd, 2020, 09:39 PM
So they're still NAIA? I really thought they had actually moved up.

Move up? They give scholarships where they are. Some went up to D2, but Jamestown won't do that. They are fine where they are....actually built a nice new basketball arena even. :D

Laker
February 3rd, 2020, 10:41 PM
Move up? They give scholarships where they are. Some went up to D2, but Jamestown won't do that. They are fine where they are....actually built a nice new basketball arena even. :D

And they moved from the North Star to the GPAC.

BisonFan02
February 3rd, 2020, 10:45 PM
And they moved from the North Star to the GPAC.

Correct....and other than the insane geography, it was the right move.

Yote 53
February 4th, 2020, 09:06 AM
That's the real kicker out of it all, isn't it?

They care so little they have to make sure they go out of their way at every possible chance to comment and demean then.

But they don't care at all.

But they just want you to know and then also they want you to know they don't care about it though

Clenz, nailed it.

I can think of another school that acts the exact same way.

MSUBobcat
February 4th, 2020, 09:34 AM
MSUBobcat, In light of this info I am glad you're still alive!

Thanks. Turned out my stepdad's concerns were well founded. Was driving too fast in the rain and came up on an unmarked corner and sent it off the side of the mountain past Bridger Bowl. Was doing well riding it out... until the tree stump met the passenger side and flipped me. Man, I loved that car....xbawlingx

100%GRIZ
February 4th, 2020, 10:19 AM
In reading this entire thread today I noticed Game Day at the South Dakota State - North Dakota State. Since the winner of the pole is Montana vs MSU I thought woundn't it be cool if Game Day came to this years Griz Bobcat game, both made it to the playoffs last year & the game day experience is second to none in this division of football! Unfortunately the Big Boys have there rival games that weekend as well so probably a pipe dream!

MSUBobcat
February 4th, 2020, 10:37 AM
In reading this entire thread today I noticed Game Day at the South Dakota State - North Dakota State. Since the winner of the pole is Montana vs MSU I thought woundn't it be cool if Game Day came to this years Griz Bobcat game, both made it to the playoffs last year & the game day experience is second to none in this division of football! Unfortunately the Big Boys have there rival games that weekend as well so probably a pipe dream!

Oh sure.... you want Game Day to come to the Brawl when it's at your house.....;)

Chalupa Batman
February 4th, 2020, 11:04 AM

Rivalry weekend in FBS is the weekend after the Brawl, so maybe not as much as a pipe dream as you think. As with all lower division schools (and most G5 schools) a lot of things have to fall in place just right to get CGD to come.

It would be one fun atmosphere to watch on TV though if it ever did happen.

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 4th, 2020, 04:08 PM
Clenz, nailed it.

I can think of another school that acts the exact same way.

Nailed what?

UND has always been a rival to one degree or another. Never changed for people older then the millenial age group.

It's the young punks on here down playing the rivalry now.

When UND wins a game it will be all in again.

TheKingpin28
February 4th, 2020, 06:07 PM
Nailed what?

UND has always been a rival to one degree or another. Never changed for people older then the millenial age group.

It's the young punks on here down playing the rivalry now.

When UND wins a game it will be all in again.

https://media2.giphy.com/media/3o7aCUQfzhWgYvrHnG/giphy.gif

ALPHAGRIZ1
February 4th, 2020, 07:48 PM
Montana and Montana sate is not a rivalry, they are just another state school that gets taken to the woodshed way to often. state is just another team we kick the **** out of on the regular they are no different than EWU or Weber st just another game on our schedule.

Its cute that to them we are their superbowl and they are happy going 1-10 each year if they get that one win that has only happened 36 times in the existence of their program

cx500d
February 4th, 2020, 07:56 PM
xsmhx

DawgNDuckfan
February 5th, 2020, 12:21 AM
I can't even imagine....

Just another transgression, albeit a very big transgression, in a long line of transgressions by the NCAA. Very, very sad.

nodak651
February 5th, 2020, 02:24 PM
Seems rather odd that these events happened, considering the students don't apparently think there is a rivalry.

https://www.twincities.com/2014/10/09/3-ndsu-homecoming-candidates-arrested-in-und-trespassing/

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4138709-ndsu-president-calls-end-hateful-sioux-chant-bison-football-games

BisonFan02
February 5th, 2020, 03:54 PM
Seems rather odd that these events happened, considering the students don't apparently think there is a rivalry.

https://www.twincities.com/2014/10/09/3-ndsu-homecoming-candidates-arrested-in-und-trespassing/

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4138709-ndsu-president-calls-end-hateful-sioux-chant-bison-football-games

It is a much bigger deal for UND than it is for NDSU at this point...at least for the few that actually follow UND football.

Redbird 4th & short
February 5th, 2020, 04:11 PM
It is a much bigger deal for UND than it is for NDSU at this point...at least for the few that actually follow UND football.

But these Bison incidents occurred in 2014 and 2016 ... so it's not exactly nothing.

BisonFan02
February 5th, 2020, 04:16 PM
But these Bison incidents occurred in 2014 and 2016 ... so it's not exactly nothing.

It's a small state. There were UND football fans this year that skipped their home opener to go to Minneapolis to watch the Bison play at Target Field. xlolx. Then, we ceremoniously pushed their **** in the following week in Fargo. I'm sure when they get better and move into conference it will help for a bit...but having grown up with the rivalry, it isnt anywhere near where it used to be.

NY Crusader 2010
February 6th, 2020, 05:13 AM
Historically, going back to the D-II days was UND considered a bigger rival than South Dakota State for the Bison?

Professor Chaos
February 6th, 2020, 06:51 AM
Historically, going back to the D-II days was UND considered a bigger rival than South Dakota State for the Bison?
Yes and NDSU/SDSU didn't come anywhere near NDSU/UND as a rivalry. Prior to moving D1 SDSU wasn't much more of a rival to NDSU than any other team in the old North Central Conference. SDSU's program itself was very average to below average in D2 actually. They've been a far better D1 program than they ever were in D2 oddly enough.

POD Knows
February 6th, 2020, 06:53 AM
Historically, going back to the D-II days was UND considered a bigger rival than South Dakota State for the Bison?Yes, it wasn't even close and SDSU pretty much sucked in football back then. The improving rivalry with SDSU is because the made the move up with NDSU and they have a pretty good football team. If UND can step it up in football, it might get heated again, right now it just sort of feels like another OOC cupcake game.