PDA

View Full Version : MVFC Megathread: 2020 Edition

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

ysubigred
March 12th, 2021, 05:33 PM
Haha, I know WHAT Casey's does. Casey's taco pizza is my favorite pizza this side of the Mississippi. Why are they choosing a specific team?YSU

https://media4.giphy.com/media/zjJTp2xZzb53l3HaVY/giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7s2vskm838enosrkjkz39hp6ujadu dwphkfts8ez2&rid=giphy.gif

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Redbird 4th & short
March 12th, 2021, 05:37 PM
What, you've never seen a football game with 3 teams before? It's awesome, in the red zone there are extra players and every kickoff has 2 receiving teams. Whoever comes away with the football gets to take possession.
clearly no basketball players on this forum .. theyre just doing a JV game before the varsity game ... not hard people !!!!

:D xdrunkyx

Redbird 4th & short
March 12th, 2021, 05:50 PM
by the way, not that anyone would care ... but with the ISUr defense so decimated (just lost 2 more starters for spring and fall), and the ISUr offense so prepubescent .. literally not sure they've all reached puberty. I'm officially declaring this spring season null and void, and tuning out.

It wont be pretty in Normal, IL this spring .. now, maybe not next fall either. It only gets worse.

For the record, I predicted this interim demise .. now looking more fatal than I first thought. Defense still solid, but not dominant. Offense still young and talented, but .... still more young than proven talented.

Someone cue the violins .. better yet, the horns for taps.

ST_Lawson
March 12th, 2021, 06:47 PM
I don't understand what is going on with Casey's. Can someone enlighten me?

Famous for pizza, they are sponsors of more than a few MVFC athletics programs, share a similar footprint to the MVFC, and I think (it's been a while since I checked) have a location within a few blocks of every MVFC school except Youngstown (including the newly-added North Dakota: https://goo.gl/maps/n37b4p9RVytUdkJaA)

Also, they were the unofficial sponsors of both the 2017 and 2018 MVFC Megathreads:
https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?190666-MVFC-2017-Brought-to-you-by-Casey-s-Pizza
https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?200494-The-2018-MVFC-Megathread-brought-to-you-by-Casey-s-Pizza

We love our Casey's 'round these parts.

caribbeanhen
March 12th, 2021, 08:03 PM
by the way, not that anyone would care ... but with the ISUr defense so decimated (just lost 2 more starters for spring and fall), and the ISUr offense so prepubescent .. literally not sure they've all reached puberty. I'm officially declaring this spring season null and void, and tuning out.

It wont be pretty in Normal, IL this spring .. now, maybe not next fall either. It only gets worse.

For the record, I predicted this interim demise .. now looking more fatal than I first thought. Defense still solid, but not dominant. Offense still young and talented, but .... still more young than proven talented.

Someone cue the violins .. better yet, the horns for taps.

huh, who was the LB that had that quick pick 6 against the sleep inducing N Iowa offense? great play

Redbird 4th & short
March 13th, 2021, 07:38 AM
huh, who was the LB that had that quick pick 6 against the sleep inducing N Iowa offense? great play

response to your, "huh" .... yes, things are not good. Defense is solid, but no depth. Offense is currently MIA .. though I think our dual threat QB Bryce Jefferson has the skills to be good at this level. But we are so young on offense. if we don't move chains, defense will wear down. And this may hurt our development/recovery for next fall .. we've lost too much from fall 2019, and our offense was all James Robinson that year. Just too much youth on offense.

response to LB pick ... I didn't see it, but he's MLB Kenton Wilhoite, R-SO. First time starter, did only special teams last year. Spack builds and reloads defenses as well as anyone and knows how to recruit on that side of ball, so I suspect he will be a good one sooner than later.

https://goredbirds.com/sports/football/roster/kenton-wilhoit/8138

Redbird 4th & short
March 13th, 2021, 09:20 AM
I don't understand what is going on with Casey's. Can someone enlighten me?
born and raised Chicago boy, grew up on wide variety of pizza styles, chicago styles and others. All this Casey's talk threw me too .. it was f-ing gas station pizza !! How good could it be ??

But ...... I happened to stop in for gas once on a road trip, was hungry, and decided to give it a shot .. it was more than adequate, surprisingly pretty good. Crust was just crispy enough and held up (not that droopy or doughy crap), didn't skimp on cheese, right amount of sauce, and ingredients seemed to be good quality. Of course, I was famished at time, but still ... surprisingly good stuff for a frickin' gas station.

ST_Lawson
March 13th, 2021, 10:29 AM
born and raised Chicago boy, grew up on wide variety of pizza styles, chicago styles and others. All this Casey's talk threw me too .. it was f-ing gas station pizza !! How good could it be ??

But ...... I happened to stop in for gas once on a road trip, was hungry, and decided to give it a shot .. it was more than adequate, surprisingly pretty good. Crust was just crispy enough and held up (not that droopy or doughy crap), didn't skimp on cheese, right amount of sauce, and ingredients seemed to be good quality. Of course, I was famished at time, but still ... surprisingly good stuff for a frickin' gas station.

Exactly. It's not going to come close to the best sit-down "mom and pop" independent pizza places, but considering it's pizza that comes from a gas station chain...it's quite good.

caribbeanhen
March 13th, 2021, 10:56 AM
response to your, "huh" .... yes, things are not good. Defense is solid, but no depth. Offense is currently MIA .. though I think our dual threat QB Bryce Jefferson has the skills to be good at this level. But we are so young on offense. if we don't move chains, defense will wear down. And this may hurt our development/recovery for next fall .. we've lost too much from fall 2019, and our offense was all James Robinson that year. Just too much youth on offense.

response to LB pick ... I didn't see it, but he's MLB Kenton Wilhoite, R-SO. First time starter, did only special teams last year. Spack builds and reloads defenses as well as anyone and knows how to recruit on that side of ball, so I suspect he will be a good one sooner than later.

https://goredbirds.com/sports/football/roster/kenton-wilhoit/8138

yep # 8 it was, If you haven’t seen the play you better check it out

SDFS
March 13th, 2021, 10:56 AM
I grew up with a Casey's a block from my home and I have lived in the upper Midwest most of my adult life. I have never had Casey's pizza. I guess, I typically stop at Kwik Trips. I guess that I will need to give it a try now that UND is in MVFC. I just completed a quick search for Casey's in the Twin Cities and there are a total of 5 stores. Not sure I will be having a piece anytime soon.

TheKingpin28
March 13th, 2021, 02:44 PM
Exactly. It's not going to come close to the best sit-down "mom and pop" independent pizza places, but considering it's pizza that comes from a gas station chain...it's quite good.El Pres disrespected it but it's still good, if you temper your expectations. It's right there with Papa John's, Pizza Hut, Domino's, etc... but nowhere near that mom and pop level.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

SDFS
March 13th, 2021, 03:50 PM
Wow, the upgrades at the Dakota Dome for USD look really good... nice job.

POD Knows
March 13th, 2021, 04:22 PM
This is the worst Bison team in the D1 era. Utterly ****ing hopeless. 4 turnovers already. Freaking joke.

TheKingpin28
March 13th, 2021, 04:47 PM
This is the worst Bison team in the D1 era. Utterly ****ing hopeless. 4 turnovers already. Freaking joke.Positive side, Cam Miller actually looks good for being a true freshman.

Schism55
March 13th, 2021, 04:50 PM
Bison finding a myriad of ways to self harm today ffs :(

POD Knows
March 13th, 2021, 05:33 PM
Positive side, Cam Miller actually looks good for being a true freshman.

Yea. The offense is a lot better with him in there. Got the W but ISU is hot garbage.

dewey
March 13th, 2021, 05:34 PM
This is the worst Bison team in the D1 era. Utterly ****ing hopeless. 4 turnovers already. Freaking joke.

Those 2008 and 2009 teams were worse. NDSU hasn't had below "good" quarterback play since 2010. Interesting on that last drive 3 true freshman in the game (Miller at QB, Gonella at RB and Zabel at RG).

It is now HATE WEEK!

Come to big brother GFCC!

Dewey

dewey
March 13th, 2021, 05:36 PM
Positive side, Cam Miller actually looks good for being a true freshman.

Agreed. Noland should be on the pine from now on. We have been spoiled at the QB position with 3 NFL QB's and arguably the best QB in school history in Jensen.

Going to have to win some games like NDSU did in 2015 after Wentz went down.

Dewey

TheKingpin28
March 13th, 2021, 05:54 PM
Yea. The offense is a lot better with him in there. Got the W but ISU is hot garbage.Yeah ISUr looks mediocre, but that isn't saying a lot for NDSU either. True test against GFCC coming up. If Miller can keep the defense honest and force GFCC to play pass defense, it should be a better game vs them sending 9 in the box every play since Zeb cant run.

Gil Dobie
March 13th, 2021, 05:56 PM
Those 2008 and 2009 teams were worse. NDSU hasn't had below "good" quarterback play since 2010. Interesting on that last drive 3 true freshman in the game (Miller at QB, Gonella at RB and Zabel at RG).

It is now HATE WEEK!

Dewey

Hopefully the drive is a peek at Millers future. Next week may decide the season in the MVFC.

SDFS
March 13th, 2021, 06:02 PM
How would people rank the QBs in the MVFC right now..

NDSU - Fr. kind of unknown
SDSU - Fr. Nice player but young
USD - Fr. Nice player but young
UND - R-Fr. Nice player but none of the measurables you look for in QB. Only 1 FCS offer UND. UND pouched him for a DII school after losing a commit to FBS.
ISR-R - Mobile but nothing too special
UNI - He has looks good times. But, he is inconsistent.
YSU - OK, young only his 2nd start.
MSU - don't know
SIU - 15 is a beast running the ball, but the other QBs are OK.
WIU - nothing special..

Definitely a big drop in QBs in the Valley right now.. maybe in a couple of years when some of the freshman develop. But, I think someone other than the Valley takes the helm this year at the FCS level.

TheKingpin28
March 13th, 2021, 06:06 PM
Agreed. Noland should be on the pine from now on. We have been spoiled at the QB position with 3 NFL QB's and arguably the best QB in school history in Jensen.

DeweyI feel bad for Noland and you could see it on his face but I cant see him coming back in the fall with the writing on the wall. Wonder if he is going to do what Davis did with Wentz in relation to Trey Lance?

POD Knows
March 13th, 2021, 06:11 PM

It is now HATE WEEK!

Dewey
I don't know, it is close and these teams that we are struggling against are not good football teams. I always felt that the 09 team was better than the record and this Bison team is worse than the record. If and when we get boat raced by 30 against UND, we can revisit this.

POD Knows
March 13th, 2021, 06:14 PM

DeweyWe had an O line in 2015 that could move guys, that doesn't seem to exist this year. That 2015 team was blowing guys out in the playoffs, it was a pretty good football team, lots of tools on offense.

70MilesFromCanada
March 13th, 2021, 07:36 PM
Calling POD Calling POD Looking for your Hawks-Bison prediction. Nothing less than a BOOKIT will do. 🤔

POD Knows
March 13th, 2021, 07:38 PM
Calling POD Calling POD Looking for your Hawks-Bison prediction. Nothing less than a BOOKIT will do. 樂
UND 28 NDSU 17

caribbeanhen
March 13th, 2021, 08:04 PM

Yep, you’re just an average top 10 FCS football team now

POD Knows
March 13th, 2021, 08:07 PM
Yep, you’re just an average top 10 FCS football team nowWe are not a top ten team

caribbeanhen
March 13th, 2021, 08:09 PM
We are not a top ten team

how many top 10 teams lost today?

JayJ79
March 13th, 2021, 09:42 PM
If they want to enjoy 2nd rate success, then they can choose SDSU. Otherwise, they know where to find a winner.

Grand Forks?

geaux_sioux
March 13th, 2021, 10:31 PM
I don't know, it is close and these teams that we are struggling against are not good football teams. I always felt that the 09 team was better than the record and this Bison team is worse than the record. If and when we get boat raced by 30 against UND, we can revisit this.

Not gonna happen.

Houndawg
March 14th, 2021, 04:59 AM

NDSU - Fr. kind of unknown
SDSU - Fr. Nice player but young
USD - Fr. Nice player but young
UND - R-Fr. Nice player but none of the measurables you look for in QB. Only 1 FCS offer UND. UND pouched him for a DII school after losing a commit to FBS.
ISR-R - Mobile but nothing too special
UNI - He has looks good times. But, he is inconsistent.
YSU - OK, young only his 2nd start.
MSU - don't know
SIU - 15 is a beast running the ball, but the other QBs are OK.
WIU - nothing special..

Definitely a big drop in QBs in the Valley right now.. maybe in a couple of years when some of the freshman develop. But, I think someone other than the Valley takes the helm this year at the FCS level.

We have four of them and we've already used them all

POD Knows
March 14th, 2021, 09:31 AM
Not gonna happen.Boat raced by 35???

geaux_sioux
March 14th, 2021, 09:56 AM
Boat raced by 35???
We have a lot to prove. Anything could happen this week. Impossible to predict.

POD Knows
March 14th, 2021, 10:06 AM
We have a lot to prove. Anything could happen this week. Impossible to predict.The only decent team NDSU has played in conference play is SIU and look how that turned out. We are gutted on the O line and it shows, outside of the QB play, this is the biggest area of concern. We may be better at QB with Miller but who knows but our O line has been get handled pretty well in most of the games. NDSU has 72 Sophomore or younger players on the roster and it shows. UND may be in the same boat there, I don't know but NDSU is a very young squad. The season being moved to spring hurt NDSU more than people anticipated I believe. We might have a down year this fall as well but it looks real good for 2022 and beyond.

HootyHoo
March 14th, 2021, 10:07 AM
greetings and salutations Valley Overlords,

I was just wondering if the Owls had permission to be ranked higher than your .500 teams? I humbly beseech you to put us above Northern Iowa?

Hooty

ysubigred
March 14th, 2021, 10:18 AM

I was just wondering if the Owls had permission to be ranked higher than your .500 teams? I humbly beseech you to put us above Northern Iowa?

HootyWhen you all play some games other than the Blind Center and Jerry's Kids come back and we'll discuss.

https://media2.giphy.com/media/5RrKgEXFmrAZnYZMZc/giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7lblua0n2cgezwvbi8xmxs9bm8ags w7mrs51e82c3&rid=giphy.gif

POD Knows
March 14th, 2021, 10:20 AM

HootyNope, gonna drop you a spot or two in my poll, weak effort yesterday.

geaux_sioux
March 14th, 2021, 10:20 AM
The only decent team NDSU has played in conference play is SIU and look how that turned out. We are gutted on the O line and it shows, outside of the QB play, this is the biggest area of concern. We may be better at QB with Miller but who knows but our O line has been get handled pretty well in most of the games. NDSU has 72 Sophomore or younger players on the roster and it shows. UND may be in the same boat there, I don't know but NDSU is a very young squad. The season being moved to spring hurt NDSU more than people anticipated I believe. We might have a down year this fall as well but it looks real good for 2022 and beyond.

At least you didn’t say the division is now watered down. A lot of UND fans are rightfully jacked right now but I see some glaring deficiencies. At times our d gets absolutely shredded by the pass. And we’ve been turning the ball over at some very inopportune times. Our qb also tends to spray a handful of ducks each game. Had a really bad pick against USD. Open field tackling leaves a lot to be desired. We have struggled to put teams away when we have the opportunity. Usually takes a second attempt for the game killing drive.

caribbeanhen
March 14th, 2021, 10:28 AM
At least you didn’t say the division is now watered down. A lot of UND fans are rightfully jacked right now but I see some glaring deficiencies. At times our d gets absolutely shredded by the pass. And we’ve been turning the ball over at some very inopportune times. Our qb also tends to spray a handful of ducks each game. Had a really bad pick against USD. Open field tackling leaves a lot to be desired. We have struggled to put teams away when we have the opportunity. Usually takes a second attempt for the game killing drive.

Shredded by the pass is why I’ll have you and the number 2 Spot this week

Sam Houston State deserves a good look for number one

POD Knows
March 14th, 2021, 10:31 AM
I think the QB play in the conference is down but it seems like everybody has a Freshman or a Sophomore at QB. NDSU had 4 turnovers yesterday by early in the 3rd quarter. That just doesn't historically happen with them. I have stated on here on how weak I think our secondary is and I will stand by that, lots of receivers running free but poor QB play by some of our opponents has helped. I don't know, just kind of a weird season.

Chalupa Batman
March 14th, 2021, 10:34 AM
Looks like an interesting dynamic shaping up in the back and forth this week.

You're going to win. No, you're going to win. Nuh uh, we ain't winning.

POD Knows
March 14th, 2021, 10:36 AM

You're going to win. No, you're going to win. Nuh uh, we ain't winning.I think I will bet some money on UND, the last time I did that with them, they lost to Richmond in playoffs, if was awesome.

ysubigred
March 14th, 2021, 10:37 AM

You're going to win. No, you're going to win. Nuh uh, we ain't winning.I'd like to be in either teams situation. Not sure YSU has anything for South Dakota this week at the ice castle..

https://media2.giphy.com/media/cPXK0HtzG4lN1fWsmF/giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7qct4w4ruj7m4i9vq918jfpmkwdpo rj5tec9ieyb7&rid=giphy.gif

SDFS
March 14th, 2021, 11:23 AM
We have four of them and we've already used them all

I know I watched the game yesterday. #6 came in and played pretty good. So, what is the status for next week. Who do you think starts. Plus, it was clear to me watching UNI and SIU play for the first time these two teams do not like each other. The pads were popping..

geaux_sioux
March 14th, 2021, 12:11 PM
Shredded by the pass is why I’ll have you and the number 2 Spot this week

Sam Houston State deserves a good look for number one
I’m not comfortable with us being top 5 even at the moment. I just don’t see it yet. If we clean a few things up and play a full 4 quarters for the first time all year then maybe my feelings will change.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the QB play in the conference is down but it seems like everybody has a Freshman or a Sophomore at QB. NDSU had 4 turnovers yesterday by early in the 3rd quarter. That just doesn't historically happen with them. I have stated on here on how weak I think our secondary is and I will stand by that, lots of receivers running free but poor QB play by some of our opponents has helped. I don't know, just kind of a weird season.
For example that pick ISUr threw yesterday was goddamn awful.

F'N Hawks
March 14th, 2021, 12:14 PM

Hooty

No.

POD Knows
March 14th, 2021, 12:18 PM
I’m not comfortable with us being top 5 even at the moment. I just don’t see it yet. If we clean a few things up and play a full 4 quarters for the first time all year then maybe my feelings will change.

- - - Updated - - -

For example that pick ISUr threw yesterday was goddamn awful.Yea, and the receiver was open, huge play in the game. That underthrow by Nolan on that deep ball was almost as bad.

SDFS
March 14th, 2021, 12:36 PM

I agree with several of your points:

1) Pass defense - UND has left the corners on an island most of the year. If you have dynamic deep threat that can be a problem. If you have a QB that can throw it deep you can have success. see SDSU game as an example.
2) It is more than bad open field tackling. The safeties and corners have at times taken the wrong angle on multiple occasions. It has not cost them anything up to this point. But, if a team has some real speed that is going to be problem.
3) UND offense strength is screens, crossing routes and the running game. Anything over 20/25 yards is a 50/50 ball at best. UND's success on offense has been long sustained drives. In 4 games, they have had 20 drives with an average of just over 10 plays per drive. This keeps the defense fresh and the offense grinds on the opposing defense and Otis has thrived in the second half with broken tackles. This has worked because UND has been very clean on penalties not sure if that is home cooking or what but UND has not taken any penalties this year (avg just under 3 a game for 23 yrds).

Point three is what concerns me the most with the team to the south. They have strong safety play and a strong front 7. It doesn't take much to shutdown UNDs edge receivers. UND has to win the battle at the line scrimmage on offense and that is never easy with them.

ST_Lawson
March 14th, 2021, 02:44 PM
WIU - nothing special..

Our QB can really sling it around the field. Now...whether or not there's a receiver in that area of the field is a completely different story.

dewey
March 14th, 2021, 03:13 PM
No.

I agree. If I believed that Kennesaw State was better I would vote them above UNI. I do not believe Kennesaw is better than UNI.

Kennesaw State has 2 wins. Shorter (35-3) and Charleston Southern 24-19.

2 wins and neither appear to be impressive. The only challenging game (ranked team) appears to be Monmouth at the end of the year.

Dewey

F'N Hawks
March 14th, 2021, 03:37 PM
Our QB can really sling it around the field. Now...whether or not there's a receiver in that area of the field is a completely different story.

He completed alot of passes yesterday. Threw some nice balls, no running game to help him.

ST_Lawson
March 14th, 2021, 04:37 PM
He completed alot of passes yesterday. Threw some nice balls, no running game to help him.

Yes...some nice ones...some wtf ones.
And no run game...our O-Line is not very good.

Professor Chaos
March 14th, 2021, 07:19 PM
I agree. If I believed that Kennesaw State was better I would vote them above UNI. I do not believe Kennesaw is better than UNI.

Kennesaw State has 2 wins. Shorter (35-3) and Charleston Southern 24-19.

2 wins and neither appear to be impressive. The only challenging game (ranked team) appears to be Monmouth at the end of the year.

Dewey
At this rate that'll be Monmouth's 2nd game of the season. Might be tough to gauge much from that either. Welcome to this ****ed up spring season.

skinny_uncle
March 14th, 2021, 07:42 PM
I know I watched the game yesterday. #6 came in and played pretty good. So, what is the status for next week. Who do you think starts. Plus, it was clear to me watching UNI and SIU play for the first time these two teams do not like each other. The pads were popping..
Labanowitz will probably start this week since neither Lyles or Baker is healthy enough to play. We might use Williams more in the wildcat to help hide the QB shortage. The only other guy is a redshirt freshman who has never taken a snap.

Professor Chaos
March 15th, 2021, 10:31 AM
Well, we're at the midway point of the conference season (at least for 6 out of 10 teams) and seems like there's 5 teams that have playoff hopes:

UND
SIU
SDSU
UNI
NDSU

It's going to be interesting to see who gets squeezed out over the next month. There's only 6 at-large spots available in the field and you'd think the Big Sky, CAA, and Southland are all going to take at least 1. That leaves only 3 left... I'd have to imagine the MVFC has a pretty good shot at getting 2 at-larges but 3 seems like a stretch since that would be half of the at-large field. UND and SIU seem like they have the inside path with each only having one more game left amongst teams in the above group (UND @ NDSU and SIU vs SDSU) and they both already have 4 wins (one of SIU's win was against SEMO last fall). UNI is hitting a soft part of their schedule with their next 3 games vs WIU, @MSU, and @USD before they close out with NDSU but they've already got 2 losses so they might have to win out. NDSU and SDSU probably have the toughest paths although they could both still lose one more and probably be fine. SDSU still has to go to SIU and NDSU and their home games with Illinois St and USD aren't the easiest either. NDSU still has to play UND, SDSU, and @UNI.

In any case I think there's going to be at least 2 pretty good MVFC teams in this group left out of the playoffs this spring.

skinny_uncle
March 15th, 2021, 10:52 AM
Well, we're at the midway point of the conference season (at least for 6 out of 10 teams) and seems like there's 5 teams that have playoff hopes:

UND
SIU
SDSU
UNI
NDSU

It's going to be interesting to see who gets squeezed out over the next month. There's only 6 at-large spots available in the field and you'd think the Big Sky, CAA, and Southland are all going to take at least 1. That leaves only 3 left... I'd have to imagine the MVFC has a pretty good shot at getting 2 at-larges but 3 seems like a stretch since that would be half of the at-large field. UND and SIU seem like they have the inside path with each only having one more game left amongst teams in the above group (UND @ NDSU and SIU vs SDSU) and they both already have 4 wins (one of SIU's win was against SEMO last fall). UNI is hitting a soft part of their schedule with their next 3 games vs WIU, @MSU, and @USD before they close out with NDSU but they've already got 2 losses so they might have to win out. NDSU and SDSU probably have the toughest paths although they could both still lose one more and probably be fine. SDSU still has to go to SIU and NDSU and their home games with Illinois St and USD aren't the easiest either. NDSU still has to play UND, SDSU, and @UNI.

In any case I think there's going to be at least 2 pretty good MVFC teams in this group left out of the playoffs this spring.
Pretty good summary.

Houndawg
March 15th, 2021, 02:43 PM

UND
SIU
SDSU
UNI
NDSU

Major trap game for SIU is going to be @MSU

Professor Chaos
March 15th, 2021, 02:50 PM
Major trap game for SIU is going to be @MSU
Yeah, not sure what to make of Missouri St... they looked completely undisciplined against NDSU to the point I wasn't expecting them to win another game this spring and then they go out and win at USD the next week which is a pretty decent win. Seems like Petrino has amassed some talent there but they don't really play like a team yet... if they can put things together on a particular Saturday they might surprise someone.

Houndawg
March 15th, 2021, 02:52 PM
Yeah, not sure what to make of Missouri St... they looked completely undisciplined against NDSU to the point I wasn't expecting them to win another game this spring and then they beat USD the next week which is a pretty decent win. Seems like Petrino has amassed some talent there but they don't really play like a team yet... if they can put things together on a particular Saturday they might surprise someone.

They seem to always look their best when they play us

Houndawg
March 15th, 2021, 02:57 PM
If we pulled off the upset vs SDSU we'd be overdue for an emotional letdown after two highly ranked opponents

Chalupa Batman
March 15th, 2021, 03:55 PM
If we pulled off the upset vs SDSU we'd be overdue for an emotional letdown after two highly ranked opponents

Beating SDSU wouldn’t be an upset. It’s a pick ‘em game. But the potential for a letdown after that is still real.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F'N Hawks
March 15th, 2021, 04:12 PM
SIU gets NDSU, SDSU and UNI at home. Nice setup.

POD Knows
March 15th, 2021, 04:20 PM
SIU gets NDSU, SDSU and UNI at home. Nice setup.Well, lets see, you got SIU, SDSU and USD at home and don't have to play UNI. Pot meet kettle.

nodak651
March 15th, 2021, 04:31 PM
Well, lets see, you got SIU, SDSU and USD at home and don't have to play UNI. Pot meet kettle.

UNI doesn't have to play US! :D

POD Knows
March 15th, 2021, 04:55 PM
UNI doesn't have to play US! :DExactly, they got by easy as well. I am not going to carry their water, I hate those freaking guys. :D

SDFS
March 15th, 2021, 05:15 PM
Well, lets see, you got SIU, SDSU and USD at home and don't have to play UNI. Pot meet kettle.

With NDSU, YSU and ISU-R on road. During a typical season that seems balanced.

POD Knows
March 15th, 2021, 05:22 PM
With NDSU, YSU and ISU-R on road. During a typical season that seems balanced.Really, what is YSU and ISU's combined record. I get that it looked pretty balanced when the schedule came out. UND had an away game at WIU and have two road games, ISU and YSU coming up and those teams are 0-10 in the conference. Yea, they have NDSU on the road. Pretty easy road schedule if you ask me and my response was to somebody that was calling out SIU's schedule without the proper introspection, as it where.

nodak651
March 15th, 2021, 06:25 PM
Really, what is YSU and ISU's combined record. I get that it looked pretty balanced when the schedule came out. UND had an away game at WIU and have two road games, ISU and YSU coming up and those teams are 0-10 in the conference. Yea, they have NDSU on the road. Pretty easy road schedule if you ask me and my response was to somebody that was calling out SIU's schedule without the proper introspection, as it where.

All he said was that it's a nice set up. Did he say anything about UND's schedule? Many people already have anyways.

POD Knows
March 15th, 2021, 08:10 PM
All he said was that it's a nice set up. Did he say anything about UND's schedule? Many people already have anyways.I doubt that he would acknowledge your nice set up now. He is still trying to "sell" against that cushy set-up you guys had when you went undefeated in the conference a few years back. We had to do some retroactive smackdown a while back on this site over that, the Redbird guy had to bring out the big guns to shed real light on that one. xnodx

Houndawg
March 15th, 2021, 08:51 PM
I doubt that he would acknowledge your nice set up now. He is still trying to "sell" against that cushy set-up you guys had when you went undefeated in the conference a few years back. We had to do some retroactive smackdown a while back on this site over that, the Redbird guy had to bring out the big guns to shed real light on that one. xnodx

We do have a nice set up getting 3 of our 4 toughest opponents at home but we've paid more than our share of dues scheduling-wise with stuff like four ranked opponents in a row and three of them on the road and our Bye in week 1

SDFS
March 15th, 2021, 10:24 PM
Really, what is YSU and ISU's combined record. I get that it looked pretty balanced when the schedule came out. UND had an away game at WIU and have two road games, ISU and YSU coming up and those teams are 0-10 in the conference. Yea, they have NDSU on the road. Pretty easy road schedule if you ask me and my response was to somebody that was calling out SIU's schedule without the proper introspection, as it where.

Oh, not calling it a brutal road schedule at all.. I do think the one thing you are overlooking is that YSU and ISU to this point have played a very difficult schedule (YSU - NDSU, UNI, SIU, SDSU) and (ISU-R - USD, UNI, NSDU). And I think both YSU and ISU-R are stout on defenses and the offense side has improved but definitely the weak link for both teams. They are not going to be pushovers.. SDSU needed a late FG to win at home. And ISU-R pushed NDSU to the 4th Q on the road this last week.

NOTE: Now the wild card is if both YSU and ISU are out of the playoff - do both teams go into development mode?!?!

SDFS
March 15th, 2021, 10:26 PM
I doubt that he would acknowledge your nice set up now. He is still trying to "sell" against that cushy set-up you guys had when you went undefeated in the conference a few years back. We had to do some retroactive smackdown a while back on this site over that, the Redbird guy had to bring out the big guns to shed real light on that one. xnodx

What was I trying to sell?

F'N Hawks
March 15th, 2021, 11:07 PM

....still talking about 2016. Weirdo. I realize that UND didn't play the mighty Griz but geez cut us a break.

POD Knows
March 16th, 2021, 08:21 AM
What was I trying to sell?Wasn't talking about you selling anything. I was referring to another poster

POD Knows
March 16th, 2021, 08:27 AM
....still talking about 2016. Weirdo. I realize that UND didn't play the mighty Griz but geez cut us a break.I will just simply refer to the astute analysis performed by one of our Redbird friends on your journey in 2016. You pointed out the "set-up" for SIU, completely ignoring your set-up for this year, it is like a nervous tic with you guys. I would also add that NDSU's schedule with respect to home games is pretty good as well, got both SDSU and you guys at home. Your away schedule, with the exception of NDSU, is a rogue gallery of failure thus far.

And we have to go back to 2016 with you guys in order to find anything to talk about.

abc123
March 16th, 2021, 09:22 AM
All we heard for years was that this whole conference was a meat grinder? What's all this hedging about easy teams on the road and hard teams at home?

UNDColorado
March 16th, 2021, 09:34 AM
I will just simply refer to the astute analysis performed by one of our Redbird friends on your journey in 2016. You pointed out the "set-up" for SIU, completely ignoring your set-up for this year, it is like a nervous tic with you guys. I would also add that NDSU's schedule with respect to home games is pretty good as well, got both SDSU and you guys at home. Your away schedule, with the exception of NDSU, is a rogue gallery of failure thus far.

And we have to go back to 2016 with you guys in order to find anything to talk about.

We definitely do have a nice setup this year. Earlier in the year, on paper, this schedule looked harder than it turned out to be. UND is trying to earn respect and all they can do is win the games on their schedule. If they do that we need to win a damn playoff game. 2016 still haunts me lol.

- - - Updated - - -

POD Knows
March 16th, 2021, 09:52 AM
We definitely do have a nice setup this year. Earlier in the year, on paper, this schedule looked harder than it turned out to be. UND is trying to earn respect and all they can do is win the games on their schedule. If they do that we need to win a damn playoff game. 2016 still haunts me lol.

- - - Updated - - -I remember the reverse play that you guys ran towards the end of the game. I was watching this game in a bar someplace because the game was after the Bison game that day I think, I had a couple hundo riding on UND and you guys were up but I wanted you to lose because that is how I roll but you were up, you looked like the better team and I thought, oh well, I will win a little money. The guy I made the bet with refused to take the money, so I bet double or nothing with him that SDSU would beat NDSU in the next playoff game, NDSU won so I was in to the guy for $400 and he absolutely would not take the money, I thought about doubling down on JMU over NDSU but didn't do it and NDSU lost, I am convinced that I cost us the game. I think I am going to make a Teammakers donation in the guys name because he simply will not take the money, he thinks it will hex the Bison or something.

Anyway, UND looks to be the best team in the conference, I have watched a couple games, honestly, I was pissed that you guys ended up with a few guys that belong in Bison Green and Yellow. ****

nodak651
March 16th, 2021, 10:27 AM
I remember the reverse play that you guys ran towards the end of the game. I was watching this game in a bar someplace because the game was after the Bison game that day I think, I had a couple hundo riding on UND and you guys were up but I wanted you to lose because that is how I roll but you were up, you looked like the better team and I thought, oh well, I will win a little money. The guy I made the bet with refused to take the money, so I bet double or nothing with him that SDSU would beat NDSU in the next playoff game, NDSU won so I was in to the guy for $400 and he absolutely would not take the money, I thought about doubling down on JMU over NDSU but didn't do it and NDSU lost, I am convinced that I cost us the game. I think I am going to make a Teammakers donation in the guys name because he simply will not take the money, he thinks it will hex the Bison or something.

Anyway, UND looks to be the best team in the conference, I have watched a couple games, honestly, I was pissed that you guys ended up with a few guys that belong in Bison Green and Yellow. ****

Wrong! Guys with no FCS offers belong to UND. It's our formula.

Gil Dobie
March 16th, 2021, 10:27 AM
We will find out if they are the Fighting Hawks or the Fighting Hoax. ;)

POD Knows
March 16th, 2021, 10:32 AM
Wrong! Guys with no FCS offers belong to UND. It's our formula.:D That is a bold strategy.

SDFS
March 16th, 2021, 11:19 AM
I remember the reverse play that you guys ran towards the end of the game. I was watching this game in a bar someplace because the game was after the Bison game that day I think, I had a couple hundo riding on UND and you guys were up but I wanted you to lose because that is how I roll but you were up, you looked like the better team and I thought, oh well, I will win a little money. The guy I made the bet with refused to take the money, so I bet double or nothing with him that SDSU would beat NDSU in the next playoff game, NDSU won so I was in to the guy for $400 and he absolutely would not take the money, I thought about doubling down on JMU over NDSU but didn't do it and NDSU lost, I am convinced that I cost us the game. I think I am going to make a Teammakers donation in the guys name because he simply will not take the money, he thinks it will hex the Bison or something.

Arrggh "THE REVERSE" !?!? you had to go there.. can't you just let a guy enjoy the week? At the 10:00 mark of the 3rd Q - the win probability for UND was 96.5. The the most conservative OC you can think of and he calls a reverse on first and 10 @ +31. Takes them out of FG range followed by a blocked punt.. ball game - arrrgghh.

1st & 10 at RICH 31 (8:12 - 3rd) Demun Mercer run for a loss of 7 yards to the Richm 38

nodak651
March 16th, 2021, 11:21 AM
Arrggh "THE REVERSE" !?!? you had to go there.. can't you just let a guy enjoy the week? At the 10:00 mark of the 3rd Q - the win probability for UND was 96.5. The the most conservative OC you can think of and he calls a reverse on first and 10 @ +31. Takes them out of FG range followed by a blocked punt.. ball game - arrrgghh.

1st & 10 at RICH 31 (8:12 - 3rd) Demun Mercer run for a loss of 7 yards to the Richm 38

Worst OC of all time.

UNDColorado
March 16th, 2021, 11:43 AM
Worst OC of all time.

Typically I can move past things pretty easily, but that damn reverse still pisses me off.

MVFCBeat
March 17th, 2021, 04:13 PM
Hello MVFC Fans! I have new power rankings for your consumption.
https://www.missourivalleybeat.com/post/mvfc-football-week-5-power-rankings

I also recently posted an article on what an FCS/mid-major NCAA Basketball Tournament might look like if that is something you'd be interested in.

You can follow me on Twitter @BeatMVC

Thanks everyone. Go Valley!

geaux_sioux
March 17th, 2021, 09:18 PM

Small correction, running into the punter.

Schism55
March 19th, 2021, 04:31 PM
https://twitter.com/Pg_Reinhardt/status/1372999839185838080

Wow, very cool!

TheKingpin28
March 20th, 2021, 02:36 PM
Well I have no faith in Entz. Starting Zeb over Cam. Absolute joke to start a guy who has no mobility over the guy who practically won you the game.

dewey
March 20th, 2021, 03:00 PM
Well I have no faith in Entz. Starting Zeb over Cam. Absolute joke to start a guy who has no mobility over the guy who practically won you the game.

Zeb has played well so far. The throw to Watson could have been a little better but Watson should have caught it.

Huge 4th and 1 stop for the Bison.

Dewey

TheKingpin28
March 20th, 2021, 03:03 PM
Zeb has played well so far. The throw to Watson could have been a little better but Watson should have caught it.

Huge 4th and 1 stop for the Bison.

DeweyHe has missed 2 wide open plays for TDs (one where he threw behind receiver but the other one was wide open and now Watson). Cam Miller players well enough to earn his keep for this game and this season was about determining whether or not Zeb was the guy this year and next or if Miller and Patterson would duel for the gig. Zeb is immobile and that allows for GFCC to stack the box.

2nd pick now for Zeb. He is done!

Winterborn
March 20th, 2021, 03:05 PM
He has missed 2 wide open plays for TDs (one where he threw behind receiver but the other one was wide open and now Watson). Cam Miller players well enough to earn his keep for this game and this season was about determining whether or not Zeb was the guy this year and next or if Miller and Patterson would duel for the gig. Zeb is immobile and that allows for GFCC to stack the box.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk5 picks to 3 td's he better be benched. I am all for giving a guy a chance but one has to draw the line somewhere.

TheKingpin28
March 20th, 2021, 03:07 PM
5 picks to 3 td's he better be benched. I am all for giving a guy a chance but one has to draw the line somewhere.He has air mailed 2 potential TDs and overthrew the open receiver for another pick. Cam earned the right to start rescuing the ISUr game for me but clearly Entz knows what's best...

dewey
March 20th, 2021, 03:07 PM
He has missed 2 wide open plays for TDs (one where he threw behind receiver but the other one was wide open and now Watson). Cam Miller players well enough to earn his keep for this game and this season was about determining whether or not Zeb was the guy this year and next or if Miller and Patterson would duel for the gig. Zeb is immobile and that allows for GFCC to stack the box.

The 2nd pick was all on Noland but that 1st one was mainly on Watson.

Dewey

Winterborn
March 20th, 2021, 03:09 PM
He has air mailed 2 potential TDs and overthrew the open receiver for another pick. Cam earned the right to start rescuing the ISUr game for me but clearly Entz knows what's best...

Sent from my SM-J727V using TapatalkAgree.

Multiple open receivers and poor foot placement/ staring down receivers is not a good combo in a QB.

TheKingpin28
March 20th, 2021, 03:11 PM
Agree.

Multiple open receivers and poor foot placement/ staring down receivers is not a good combo in a QB.You can't win games when you can't trust your QB and yet somehow Entz keeps trotting him out there.

WHY IS ZEB STILL ON THE FIELD???

dewey
March 20th, 2021, 03:15 PM
You can't win games when you can't trust your QB and yet somehow Entz keeps trotting him out there.

Well obviously Entz and the coaches trust Noland. Miller is very limited in the passing game.

Noland needs to make better decisions and cut down on the turnovers.

Dewey

Winterborn
March 20th, 2021, 03:16 PM
You can't win games when you can't trust your QB and yet somehow Entz keeps trotting him out there.

Sent from my SM-J727V using TapatalkOr when he is one dimensional in a team that needs a two dimensional QB.

Entz is a nice guy. It is fine to be that way but when you are a CEO/Head Coach you need to do what is best for the organization not a person.

TheKingpin28
March 20th, 2021, 03:17 PM
Well obviously Entz and the coaches trust Noland. Miller is very limited in the passing game.

DeweyI look at it the same way I looked at Easton Stick as a freshman. Give him easy reads and let him make plays as a runner. Zeb is wholly inaccurate and immobile. Keep the box open and defense honest otherwise with Zeb, it's just obvious what is going to happen each play.

Winterborn
March 20th, 2021, 03:17 PM

DeweyThere is definitely a line to walk. IMHO, Noland has used up his free passes.

TheKingpin28
March 20th, 2021, 03:18 PM
Or when he is one dimensional in a team that needs a two dimensional QB.

Entz is a nice guy. It is fine to be that way but when you are a CEO/Head Coach you need to do what is best for the organization not a person.Exactly. This is an offense predicated on mobile QBs who can so it through the air and on the ground. When your QB struggles with even being one dimensional, you are just asking for a disaster .

dewey
March 20th, 2021, 03:23 PM
Good to have Hunter Luepke back!

14-6 1111 to go 2nd quarter.

Dewey

Winterborn
March 20th, 2021, 03:24 PM
Exactly. This is an offense predicated on mobile QBs who can so it through the air and on the ground. When your QB struggles with even being one dimensional, you are just asking for a disaster .

Sent from my SM-J727V using TapatalkWe do not even need a real deep ball, just the threat and a good running game to split the defense up.

TheKingpin28
March 20th, 2021, 03:28 PM
We do not even need a real deep ball, just the threat and a good running game to split the defense up.Yep. Let the offense churn those heavy yards and then allow Watson and Babicz get their dues on one-on-one plays. There is so much potential when it forces the defense to consider 8-9 in the box otherwise, they know Gonnella/Luepke will get their 5-6 per play.

dewey
March 20th, 2021, 03:32 PM
Another good defensive 4th down stop by NDSU.

Dewey

dewey
March 20th, 2021, 03:42 PM
Boy Weah is a beast.

Dewey

dewey
March 20th, 2021, 03:44 PM
Another good defensive series by NDSU.

It would be great to get another TD before the half.

Edit...well nevermind. Offense goes three and out.

Dewey

dewey
March 20th, 2021, 03:52 PM
Another good defensive series by NDSU.

The defense other than 1 play has been really good.

Dewey

dewey
March 20th, 2021, 03:55 PM
Huge 66 yard td pass from Noland to Watson.

21-6 NDSU

101 to go 2nd quarter.

Go Bison!

Dewey

dewey
March 20th, 2021, 03:57 PM
Great 1st half for NDSU.

Jackson Hankey is injured for NDSU.

Doesn't sound good.

21-6 Bison at the half.

Dewey

Winterborn
March 20th, 2021, 04:00 PM
Bison needed that last TD.

There has been some strange and crappy play calling from both teams so far.

TheKingpin28
March 20th, 2021, 04:07 PM
Bison needed that last TD.

There has been some strange and crappy play calling from both teams so far.I'm not sure NDSU is a top 3 team and there is no way GFCC can be in the top 3 after this showing. They've had one big play, otherwise, they go 3 and out or get stopped after 20-30 yards. What does this say about SIU and SDSU though? If results hold, how do you rank these 4 teams? Not going to be easy.

Winterborn
March 20th, 2021, 04:15 PM
I'm not sure NDSU is a top 3 team and there is no way GFCC can be in the top 3 after this showing. They've had one big play, otherwise, they go 3 and out or get stopped after 20-30 yards. What does this say about SIU and SDSU though? If results hold, how do you rank these 4 teams? Not going to be easy.

Me either and I have no idea how you rank them. I don't envy the poll voters at all. [emoji16]

Chalupa Batman
March 20th, 2021, 04:18 PM
I'm not sure NDSU is a top 3 team and there is no way GFCC can be in the top 3 after this showing. They've had one big play, otherwise, they go 3 and out or get stopped after 20-30 yards. What does this say about SIU and SDSU though? If results hold, how do you rank these 4 teams? Not going to be easy.

I say SDSU>NDSU>UND pretty close then SIU a clear 4th

TheKingpin28
March 20th, 2021, 04:22 PM
Me either and I have no idea how you rank them. I don't envy the poll voters at all. [emoji16]Having Buffalo Trace generally helps...

dewey
March 20th, 2021, 04:32 PM
NDSU stud MLB Jackson Hankey out for the game with head injury.

Dewey

dewey
March 20th, 2021, 04:38 PM
Touchdown Leupke! Hunter's got 149 yards rushing and 3 TD's.

28-13 Bison!

Dewey

TheKingpin28
March 20th, 2021, 04:38 PM
Hunter Luepke is that bruising back NDSU has so desperately needed for awhile. Just a power back that cant be stopped by one guy.

dewey
March 20th, 2021, 04:39 PM
Hunter Luepke is that bruising back NDSU has so desperately needed for awhile. Just a power back that cant be stopped by one guy.

Great surge at the LOS by NDSU and then great push by Leupke and the rest of the NDSU OL when Leupke gets slowed down.

Dewey

TheKingpin28
March 20th, 2021, 04:42 PM
Great surge at the LOS by NDSU and then great push by Leupke and the rest of the NDSU OL when Leupke gets slowed down.

DeweyIt's nice to see a RB/FB who has some weight and doesnt get stopped right at the LOS. Those 175lbs backs are great for swing plays, end-arounds, etc... but when you play power a-gap football you need that 230/240lb back who can push LBs backwards. These plays reminded me of the SHSU semi-final game where they kept calling the same play and they couldn't stop it.

caribbeanhen
March 20th, 2021, 04:47 PM
I called the Bison the FCS sleeper after they lost, they are still the class of FCS....

dewey
March 20th, 2021, 04:48 PM
I was pleasantly surprised there wasn't a DPI call on that fake punt pass.

Go Bison!

Dewey

Christiank22
March 20th, 2021, 04:50 PM
I was pleasantly surprised there wasn't a DPI call on that fake punt pass.

Go Bison!

Dewey

Apparently you can’t get PI on the gunner

dewey
March 20th, 2021, 05:07 PM
Interception by Dom Jones. 2nd in 2 weeks.

Dewey

dewey
March 20th, 2021, 05:07 PM
Apparently you can’t get PI on the gunner

Really? I had no idea.

Dewey

F'N Hawks
March 20th, 2021, 05:13 PM
UND wasn't ready for the Dome. Again.

Chalupa Batman
March 20th, 2021, 05:19 PM
NDSU & SDSU restored some order to the Valley today. And at the same time created chaos for the moment when it comes to the playoff picture

dewey
March 20th, 2021, 05:23 PM
I was really hoping Gonnella would break away and score.

Dang it.

NDSU over 300 yards rushing today.

Dewey

TheKingpin28
March 20th, 2021, 05:32 PM
How do you rank the 4 teams?

GFCC beat SDSU and SIU
SIU curb-stomped NDSU
NDSU obliterated GFCC
SDSU destroyed SIU

I mean, it's not going to be easy. I think SIU and GFCC have to be below NDSU and SDSU but I'm not sure NDSU is a top 3 team right now and SDSU struggled with YSU who got clubbed by NDSU.

My poll is going to be that much more fun this weekend.

Schism55
March 20th, 2021, 05:40 PM

GFCC beat SDSU and SIU
SIU curb-stomped NDSU
NDSU obliterated GFCC
SDSU destroyed SIU

I mean, it's not going to be easy. I think SIU and GFCC have to be below NDSU and SDSU but I'm not sure NDSU is a top 3 team right now and SDSU struggled with YSU who got clubbed by NDSU.

When you figure this out, can you let me know?? Thanks bud

SDFS
March 20th, 2021, 05:44 PM
Good game by NDSU - they Tyler rolled UND today. Hopefully, we can meet in the playoffs.

POD Knows
March 20th, 2021, 05:47 PM
UND wasn't ready for the Dome. Again.Why can't you guys win on the road, I don't get it, I lost money on you F"hawkers again. xlolx

Christiank22
March 20th, 2021, 05:51 PM
When you figure this out, can you let me know?? Thanks bud

I would think it would go

NDSU
SDSU
UND
SIU

NDSU absolutely dominated UND today who beat the other two teams. Yea SIU handled us but they’re the 2 loss team here. SDSU has a case to be above NDSU right now

Chalupa Batman
March 20th, 2021, 05:54 PM

NDSU
SDSU
UND
SIU

NDSU absolutely dominated UND today who beat the other two teams. Yea SIU handled us but they’re the 2 loss team here. SDSU has a case to be above NDSU right now

It's damn close right now between NDSU & SDSU. I would flip them only because SDSU's loss wasn't as bad but either way it will be decided on the field in a few weeks.

TheKingpin28
March 20th, 2021, 05:54 PM
When you figure this out, can you let me know?? Thanks budI should have a better idea when I have another few glasses of Buffalo Trace.

Schism55
March 20th, 2021, 05:59 PM
I should have a better idea when I have another few glasses of Buffalo Trace.

No doubt, knocking back a few Feast Like A Sultan myself xdrunkyx

Christiank22
March 20th, 2021, 06:07 PM
It's damn close right now between NDSU & SDSU. I would flip them only because SDSU's loss wasn't as bad but either way it will be decided on the field in a few weeks.

That’s fair. The marker game is gonna be huge

Schism55
March 20th, 2021, 06:07 PM
Is McElvain hurt for UNI, or did he get yanked?
Cuz the 2 guys playing qb for UNI now..... woof xeyebrowx

TheKingpin28
March 20th, 2021, 06:09 PM
Cuz the 2 guys playing qb for UNI now..... woof xeyebrowxI thought he was in the Corona protocol.

Professor Chaos
March 20th, 2021, 07:10 PM

NDSU
SDSU
UND
SIU

I think I'd put SDSU at #1 in the conference right now. They obliterated SIU in Carbondale... the place where NDSU got rolled. And they did it almost completely with their ground game despite being without their All-American RB Pierre Strong.

Professor Chaos
March 20th, 2021, 07:11 PM
I thought he was in the Corona protocol.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/8c/f7/2e/8cf72ea0fbce25b4bf0970153df600f7--webdesign-corona-extra.jpg

ysubigred
March 20th, 2021, 07:12 PM
I think I'd put SDSU at #1 in the conference right now. They obliterated SIU in Carbondale... the place where NDSU got rolled. And they did it almost completely with their ground game despite being without their All-American RB Pierre Strong.Any Given Saturday in the MVFC, ask PUNI [emoji1787]

Chalupa Batman
March 20th, 2021, 07:18 PM
I think I'd put SDSU at #1 in the conference right now. They obliterated SIU in Carbondale... the place where NDSU got rolled. And they did it almost completely with their ground game despite being without their All-American RB Pierre Strong.

Isaiah Davis looked real good for them. I'm surprised it took an injury to Strong for him to see significant playing time. They'll have a real tough 1-2 punch when Strong does come back.

JayJ79
March 20th, 2021, 07:48 PM
Cuz the 2 guys playing qb for UNI now..... woof xeyebrowx

his passes were more accurate the McElvain's have been this year, though that isn't saying much.
definitely needs to learn how to properly strap his helmet (or get a better-fitting one), though

MSUDuo
March 20th, 2021, 07:56 PM
Bear the **** down!

POD Knows
March 20th, 2021, 08:18 PM

NDSU
SDSU
UND
SIU

No ****ing way, SDSU is light years ahead of NDSU

POD Knows
March 20th, 2021, 08:19 PM
Any Given Saturday in the MVFC, ask PUNI [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G965U using TapatalkTransfer U got beat, LMFAO, Transfer U down and out

mmiller_34
March 20th, 2021, 08:23 PM
No ****ing way, SDSU is light years ahead of NDSU

OH stop it. NDSU will pound SDSU by 30.

#BookIt

POD Knows
March 20th, 2021, 08:31 PM

#BookItNope, Avatar bet, I will take SDSU straight up against NDSU, no ****ing way I can lose.

ysubigred
March 20th, 2021, 08:33 PM

#BookItOhhh those be fighting words LOL..

caribbeanhen
March 20th, 2021, 08:42 PM
Transfer U got beat, LMFAO, Transfer U down and out

Nope, the biased midwest pollsters are trying to find a way into the top 10 for Iowa of the North

Professor Chaos
March 21st, 2021, 12:08 AM
Bear the **** down!
MSU is an interesting wild card right now. 2 straight MVFC road wins moves them to 3-1 in conference play. They finish with 3 of their last 4 at home (vs SIU, @UND, vs YSU, vs ISU). That's not an easy schedule by any means but given how crazy this spring has been in the MVFC especially for teams going on the road could they take 3 of those 4? Does going 0-3 (one loss to Oklahoma so it doesn't really matter and two losses to Central Arkansas) in the fall hurt them? How would you compare a 6-5 (6-2) Missouri St with say a 4-2/5-1 team that played basically half the games over the fall and spring? I'm just spitballing here while downing a few night caps so give me some leeway to speculate here but MSU is at the very least in the playoff conversation right now which is a step in the right direction for that program.

MSUDuo
March 21st, 2021, 12:58 AM
MSU is an interesting wild card right now. 2 straight MVFC road wins moves them to 3-1 in conference play. They finish with 3 of their last 4 at home (vs SIU, @UND, vs YSU, vs ISU). That's not an easy schedule by any means but given how crazy this spring has been in the MVFC especially for teams going on the road could they take 3 of those 4? Does going 0-3 (one loss to Oklahoma so it doesn't really matter and two losses to Central Arkansas) in the fall hurt them? How would you compare a 6-5 (6-2) Missouri St with say a 4-2/5-1 team that played basically half the games over the fall and spring? I'm just spitballing here while downing a few night caps so give me some leeway to speculate here but MSU is at the very least in the playoff conversation right now which is a step in the right direction for that program.

I know the fall games count, but it will be interesting how much they're considered if we find a way to go 3-1 or better down the stretch. Doing so would require at least 1 more Top 10 (as of now) win, giving us 3 (at the time)

We haven't beat 2 top 25 teams since 2013. Haven't beaten 3 since 2010. The last time we could talk "playoffs" was 2014 when we started 3-1 and then went 1-7 the rest of the way.

We've won 5 games in the last 2 season combined and think we get at least that this year. It's definitely a turn in the right direction and you can clearly see it in action on the field.

I know we all think, or semi think, the Bears have been here before. This definitely feel different.

Jacks02
March 21st, 2021, 01:57 AM

GFCC beat SDSU and SIU
SIU curb-stomped NDSU
NDSU obliterated GFCC
SDSU destroyed SIU

UND beat both SDSU and SIU at home.
SIU beat NDSU at home.
NDSU beat UND at home.
SDSU beat SIU on the road.

SDSU played UND tough on the road, dominating in the first half, but had a few bad mistakes and some late turnovers which provided the final 11 point spread.

Otherwise, SDSU has the only road win of the bunch, and they did so in convincing fashion at SIU.

My ranking would be SDSU, NDSU, UND, SIU.

However, with NDSU having SDSU at home, they have a leg up on winning the conference.

mmiller_34
March 21st, 2021, 08:23 AM
Nope, Avatar bet, I will take SDSU straight up against NDSU, no ****ing way I can lose.

Deal.

NDSU wins 30-14. Cam Miller debuts as full starter, throws for 2 TDs runs for 100 and another score. Whatever that #44's name will run for 200+. SDSU turns ball over 4 times.

#BookIt.

POD Knows
March 21st, 2021, 09:04 AM
Deal.

NDSU wins 30-14. Cam Miller debuts as full starter, throws for 2 TDs runs for 100 and another score. Whatever that #44's name will run for 200+. SDSU turns ball over 4 times.

#BookIt.
You are on, SDSU rolls over NDSU by a lot, won't be close, Nolan throws at least 3 picks, NDSU had numerous injuries to key players against Sioux U, MLB gone, #1 RB gone, gone gone gone.

Professor Chaos
March 21st, 2021, 04:30 PM
What's the injury story in Saluki-ville right now? Thought I saw skinny uncle or someone mention that they had to play Lyles at QB with cracked ribs in the 2nd half vs SDSU and that their interior D-line has had multiple injuries. Are these long term injury issues at QB and DT? Is Nic Baker out for an extended amount of time? He was so impressive throwing the ball against NDSU... best performance I've seen from an opposing QB vs the Bison defense a very long time but it seems like Lyles and Lebanowitz have shown flashes as well but no one can stay healthy.

Professor Chaos
March 21st, 2021, 08:21 PM
Wow....

https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/status/1373806046611931141

Whatever happened to anybody anytime anywhere????

They had remaining game @SDSU, vs SIU, @UND, and vs MSU.

Chalupa Batman
March 21st, 2021, 08:28 PM
Wow....

Holy crap, wow indeed.

I’m afraid we’ll see other teams do this, maybe not with 4 games left but teams with 1 or 2 left might say screw it.

Now the Bunnies get two weeks to prepare for us too.

Professor Chaos
March 21st, 2021, 08:34 PM
Holy crap, wow indeed.

I’m afraid we’ll see other teams do this, maybe not with 4 games left but teams with 1 or 2 left might say screw it.

Now the Bunnies get two weeks to prepare for us too.

I wonder if the schedule will get tweaked? For instance SDSU and MSU weren't scheduled to play so maybe they put that on the schedule on 4/17 when MSU was supposed to play ISU.

The optics on this are horrible and it hurts every team left playing in the conference. Really want to hear more about what prompted this.... if not it looks like a chicken **** cop out from a team that didn't have much going this spring.

Preferred Walk-On
March 21st, 2021, 08:37 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210322/1d2a2487101693c7b2404f4e0774d829.png
This Brock Spack...

Professor Chaos
March 21st, 2021, 08:38 PM
Yep... this was posted on Twitter 27 days ago:

https://twitter.com/RedbirdFB/status/1363917232405942275

Chalupa Batman
March 21st, 2021, 08:49 PM
I wonder if the schedule will get tweaked? For instance SDSU and MSU weren't scheduled to play so maybe they put that on the schedule on 4/17 when MSU was supposed to play ISU.

The optics on this are horrible and it hurts every team left playing in the conference. Really want to hear more about what prompted this.... if not it looks like a chicken **** cop out from a team that didn't have much going this spring.

That's a really good question. I would guess MSU would be willing to as they may need to play (and win) that game to make the playoffs. Coming up they have SIU, @UND, and YSU. If they can win 2 of 3 (not out of the realm of possibility) they would be sitting at 5-2 but their best wins would be over a not-as-good as expected UNI and a reeling SIU or UND.

Of course SDSU would be in the same boat if they lose to NDSU and beat USD, they would be 5-2 with their best wins over UNI and SIU. Could be a matchup of 5-2 teams in essentially a play in game.

If they did wonder where they would play it, they were both scheduled to host the Redbirds.

Professor Chaos
March 21st, 2021, 09:04 PM
That's a really good question. I would guess MSU would be willing to as they may need to play (and win) that game to make the playoffs. Coming up they have SIU, @UND, and YSU. If they can win 2 of 3 (not out of the realm of possibility) they would be sitting at 5-2 but their best wins would be over a not-as-good as expected UNI and a reeling SIU or UND.

Of course SDSU would be in the same boat if they lose to NDSU and beat USD, they would be 5-2 with their best wins over UNI and SIU. Could be a matchup of 5-2 teams in essentially a play in game.

If they did wonder where they would play it, they were both scheduled to host the Redbirds.
Yeah, that's another tough situation. MSU is 3-0 on the road and 0-1 at home so far this spring though... maybe they'll want to play on the road. :)

dmksioux
March 21st, 2021, 09:05 PM
Yeah, that's another tough situation. MSU is 3-0 on the road and 0-1 at home so far this spring though... maybe they'll want to play on the road. :)

This also hoses UND since ISU was their only remaining home game. Unless they rework the schedule UND won't play at home after the 3rd week of the conference season.

Our last home game is against MSU, not ISUr.

Professor Chaos
March 21st, 2021, 09:08 PM
Our last home game is against MSU, not ISUr.
Yeah, realized and tried to quick edit before I got caught. ;)

Professor Chaos
March 21st, 2021, 09:15 PM
So here's what I think the conference could do to get everyone back to 8 games without need to have anyone play twice:

Like I said earlier just have SDSU play MSU on 4/17... not sure how they'll figure out who hosts since one team would have to play a 5th road game.
Instead of UNI @ USD on Friday 4/2 they have SIU play in Vermillion. UNI gets a bye that week.
Add UND vs UNI on 4/17 (not sure who hosts since both teams already have 4 home games outside of that).

EDIT: Actually they could make MSU the road team for a potential 4/17 game with SDSU and UND the home team for a potential 4/17 game with UNI and just have MSU host UND on 4/3 (currently scheduled to be played in Grand Forks). Everyone would be back to 4 home and 4 road games then.

Chalupa Batman
March 21st, 2021, 09:15 PM

If SDSU loses a close or semi-close game against NDSU and beats the Coyotes, would they be comfortably in the playoffs at 5-2? If yes then they would have no reason to want to play that game.

Can the MVFC schedule that game whether the teams want it or not, or would the teams have to agree to it?

Professor Chaos
March 21st, 2021, 09:17 PM
If SDSU loses a close or semi-close game against NDSU and beats the Coyotes, would they be comfortably in the playoffs at 5-2? If yes then they would have no reason to want to play that game.

Can the MVFC schedule that game whether the teams want it or not, or would the teams have to agree to it?
I'm sure the conference would take input from the schools. I'd have to imagine most schools with playoff aspirations wouldn't want to give up that 4/17 bye since there are no byes in the playoffs this year (not even between the semis and the title game).

Schism55
March 21st, 2021, 09:21 PM
Wow, that is some bullsh%t ISUr...way to screw over your conference mates xeyebrowx

caribbeanhen
March 21st, 2021, 09:35 PM
Lots of members quit Wings back in the day

the living legend said the hell with you

next man up

haha

ysubigred
March 21st, 2021, 09:45 PM
Wow, that is some bullsh%t ISUr...way to screw over your conference mates xeyebrowxISU Pussies..

https://media1.giphy.com/media/11iRfaoc7AefjW/giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7x6q6br8p7k459722paffooame6n8 10vo1ie9l5za&rid=giphy.gif

Professor Chaos
March 21st, 2021, 09:49 PM
Doesn't sound COVID related... sounds purely injury related:

https://twitter.com/SamHerderFCS/status/1373822853888544771

Not sure how many total injuries they have but according on their current roster they have 11 DL and 1 DE listed. They play a 3-4 base defense.

MSUDuo
March 21st, 2021, 09:51 PM

Not sure how many total injuries they have but according on their current roster they have 11 DL and 1 DE listed. They play a 3-4 base defense.

Covid just allows them the excuse.

dewey
March 21st, 2021, 09:55 PM
Wow....

Not to surprising to see this since Brock Spack has said that he doesn't like the spring season and they have already had someone go down with a season (spring and fall) injury.

Having a spring and fall season is concerning for the players safety. I can't fault a coach that puts his players ahead of the conference. To me that is a difficult decision but is admirable.

During a pandemic this should have been expected. I think more teams will do this if they are out of the playoff race or COVID cases rise again.

Dewey

JayJ79
March 21st, 2021, 10:03 PM

those 4 games should be considered forfeits by Illinois State (and thus wins for their opponents)

Professor Chaos
March 21st, 2021, 10:08 PM
Not to surprising to see this since Brock Spack has said that he doesn't like the spring season and they have already had someone go down with a season (spring and fall) injury.

Having a spring and fall season is concerning for the players safety. I can't fault a coach that puts his players ahead of the conference. To me that is a difficult decision but is admirable.

During a pandemic this should have been expected. I think more teams will do this if they are out of the playoff race or COVID cases rise again.

Dewey
I disagree... if he didn't like it he should've opted out like Indiana St did before the season so the conference could've planned and scheduled accordingly. To take your ball and leave in the middle of it is cowardly and selfish.... and to do it after criticizing Missouri St for postponing a game earlier this spring is hypocritical.

Chalupa Batman
March 21st, 2021, 10:28 PM
those 4 games should be considered forfeits by Illinois State (and thus wins for their opponents)

I didn’t think this at first but I agree. Not willing to play is different than willing but unable due to COVID. 4 L’s on the ledger for the ‘stache.

dewey
March 21st, 2021, 10:48 PM
I disagree... if he didn't like it he should've opted out like Indiana St did before the season so the conference could've planned and scheduled accordingly. To take your ball and leave in the middle of it is cowardly and selfish.... and to do it after criticizing Missouri St for postponing a game earlier this spring is hypocritical.

I will agree to disagree. Perhaps Spack thought it would be OK but once some of his players got hurt (season ending injuries for spring and fall) maybe his opinion changed.

Dewey

Professor Chaos
March 21st, 2021, 10:58 PM
I will agree to disagree. Perhaps Spack thought it would be OK but once some of his players got hurt (season ending injuries for spring and fall) maybe his opinion changed.

Dewey
I'm sure that was it. It doesn't seem COVID related at all so injuries are about the only other excuse you can cook up. I was probably too harsh to call it cowardly but it is definitely selfish. Where there's a will to play there's a way and it's clear Spack and company didn't have the will. Maybe you have to play true freshman on your d-line... maybe you have to temporarily convert some o-lineman who played d-line in high school. If you weren't willing to do that you probably shouldn't have been playing this spring to begin with. I also suspect their W-L record and potential future Ls had as much to do with it as injuries and player safety did.

SDFS
March 21st, 2021, 11:04 PM

Not sure how many total injuries they have but according on their current roster (http://current roster) they have 11 DL and 1 DE listed. They play a 3-4 base defense.

Thing is multiple teams are going through this - SIU at QB.. UND is short at NT (down two or three players). All teams are dealing with this it is nothing new. It's called football it is part of the game.

Chalupa Batman
March 21st, 2021, 11:32 PM
Has the Valley had any postponements due to Covid yet?

Professor Chaos
March 21st, 2021, 11:41 PM
Has the Valley had any postponements due to Covid yet?
Not yet *knockonwood*.

The WIU/USD and MSU/ISU games scheduled for the weekend on 2/20 got postponed to the weekend of 4/17 due to weather.

Chalupa Batman
March 21st, 2021, 11:43 PM
Not yet *knockonwood*.

The WIU/USD and MSU/ISU games scheduled for the weekend on 2/20 got postponed to the weekend of 4/17 due to weather.

That's what I thought but wasn't positive.

Professor Chaos
March 22nd, 2021, 12:21 AM
That's what I thought but wasn't positive.
I do think WIU had some players in COVID protocol back then but the announcement made reference to the fact that they couldn't practice due to the cold so seemed like that was the main reason.

JayJ79
March 22nd, 2021, 04:20 AM
I didn’t think this at first but I agree. Not willing to play is different than willing but unable due to COVID. 4 L’s on the ledger for the ‘stache.

I liken it to a wrestling tournament where a wrestler "medically withdraws" or whatever the terminology is. Their opponents are essentially credited with a win, I believe

Professor Chaos
March 22nd, 2021, 10:05 AM
https://twitter.com/ValleyFootball/status/1374011101877309442

POD Knows
March 22nd, 2021, 10:22 AM
https://twitter.com/ValleyFootball/status/1374011101877309442Watched that deal with Izzo and the reporter from Illinois, somebody please explain this to me like I am a two year old, how is ISUr opting out of the season a "negative" for UND and SDSU? This Izzo tool seemed a little bend out of shape to the "guys" north of Fargo and SDSU. What am I missing here? Lets say NDSU finishes at 7-1 in the conference and UND finishes at 6-1, does NDSU win the conference outright then?

KPSUL
March 22nd, 2021, 11:00 AM
Yep... this was posted on Twitter 27 days ago:

https://twitter.com/RedbirdFB/status/1363917232405942275

This is perfect hypocrisy!

Even if you have 0 DL available you convert OL to DT, play a backup TE at DE, move a LB or 2 to DE and a a safety to LB, etc, etc. Every team has 100 guys on the roster now-a-days; make it work.

Look what YSU had to do due to early season departures - and they are playing very competitively!

SDFS
March 22nd, 2021, 11:07 AM
Watched that deal with Izzo and the reporter from Illinois, somebody please explain this to me like I am a two year old, how is ISUr opting out of the season a "negative" for UND and SDSU? This Izzo tool seemed a little bend out of shape to the "guys" north of Fargo and SDSU. What am I missing here? Lets say NDSU finishes at 7-1 in the conference and UND finishes at 6-1, does NDSU win the conference outright then?

The biggest issue that I can think of is that they are saying it is "Injuries" and NOT Covid. I have always viewed injuries as part of the game. So, if you started the season - you have a responsibility to follow throw with that commitment. Injuries are not contagious. You are now setting a precedent that during any season if you have too many injuries at one position you have the option of quitting. I am taking my ball and I am going home because I am not happy. Indiana St has handled this much better than ISU-r. ISU-r and ISU-b are kind of handling this like a couple of basketball schools.

SDFS
March 22nd, 2021, 11:13 AM
This is perfect hypocrisy!

Even if you have 0 DL available you convert OL to DT, play a backup TE at DE, move a LB or 2 to DE and a a safety to LB, etc, etc. Every team has 100 guys on the roster now-a-days; make it work.

Look what YSU had to do due to early season departures - and they are playing very competitively!

Exactly - two years ago a Fr TE switched to DE midseason because of injuries and played. He is currently starting at DE this season.

POD Knows
March 22nd, 2021, 11:18 AM
The biggest issue that I can think of is that they are saying it is "Injuries" and NOT Covid. I have always viewed injuries as part of the game. So, if you started the season - you have a responsibility to follow throw with that commitment. Injuries are not contagious. You are now setting a precedent that during any season if you have too many injuries at one position you have the option of quitting. I am taking my ball and I am going home because I am not happy. Indiana St has handled this much better than ISU-r. ISU-r and ISU-b are kind of handling this like a couple of basketball schools.Yea, I get that, I am just trying to figure out why somebody would infer that this deal with ISUr is a negative for UND or SDSU. Personally, I think the statement from the honchos with the conference is lame, there needs to be some type of action taken against ISUr but there won't be. It doesn't sound like there is going to be any juggling of the schedule so now both UND and SDSU will get two bye weeks before the playoffs. Neither team really needs this game for the playoff hunt. This decision by ISUr is a net positive for both UND and SDSU.

If NDSU finishes at 7-1 (wont happen) and UND finishes at 6-1 and NDSU get the conference championship because of winning %, then it is pretty big negative for UND. How would something like this happen. NDSU would have the head to head win and a better winning %, so they should get the conference title. xlolx

Paladin1aa
March 22nd, 2021, 11:38 AM
I rarely post here on this thread. Enjoy reading the comments but this “ injury” crap is total BS. Even more disturbing is the league is ok with it. Unbelievable ! This needs addressed and league members should demand it. Everyone has plenty of players. It’s not like they will be forced to play 8 man FB.

Professor Chaos
March 22nd, 2021, 11:38 AM
Yea, I get that, I am just trying to figure out why somebody would infer that this deal with ISUr is a negative for UND or SDSU. Personally, I think the statement from the honchos with the conference is lame, there needs to be some type of action taken against ISUr but there won't be. It doesn't sound like there is going to be any juggling of the schedule so now both UND and SDSU will get two bye weeks before the playoffs. Neither team really needs this game for the playoff hunt. This decision by ISUr is a net positive for both UND and SDSU.

If NDSU finishes at 7-1 (wont happen) and UND finishes at 6-1 and NDSU get the conference championship because of winning %, then it is pretty big negative for UND. How would something like this happen. NDSU would have the head to head win and a better winning %, so they should get the conference title. xlolx
I haven't seen any releases from the MVFC on tie breaker scenarios with potentially unbalanced schedules but I'd assume they'd go with what most FBS conferences did in the fall and that was if teams had the same number of conference losses but different number of conference wins then head-to-head would take precedence over winning percentage when breaking a tie (although that's for autobid purposes only really and I'd assume the conference would still officially call them co-champs).

ysubigred
March 22nd, 2021, 11:40 AM
Watched that deal with Izzo and the reporter from Illinois, somebody please explain this to me like I am a two year old, how is ISUr opting out of the season a "negative" for UND and SDSU? This Izzo tool seemed a little bend out of shape to the "guys" north of Fargo and SDSU. What am I missing here? Lets say NDSU finishes at 7-1 in the conference and UND finishes at 6-1, does NDSU win the conference outright then?Head to head NDSU wins. xtwocentsx

Professor Chaos
March 22nd, 2021, 11:48 AM
I'd be interested to see an anonymous survey (maybe it wouldn't even have to be anonymous) of coaches who think the right decision was made to play in the spring instead getting in what they could in the fall.

I'd bet you that if they're being the honest the vast majority of coaches would say there's no way they're ever going to be in favor of a spring season again. Don't know why this Illinois St opt out is rubbing me the wrong way so much but maybe it's just the straw that broke the camel's back on how irregular this spring season has been and how it doesn't seem like it's being taken seriously by really anyone involved at this point.

POD Knows
March 22nd, 2021, 11:51 AM
Head to head NDSU wins. xtwocentsx

Sent from my SM-G965U using TapatalkNope, they would be co-champs even though NDSU won more games, won the head to head and had a higher winning % and also played 4 road games vs 3 for UND, I bet that is how it would shake out but NDSU winning out is not going to happen so the point is moot I guess.

SDFS
March 22nd, 2021, 12:02 PM
Yea, I get that, I am just trying to figure out why somebody would infer that this deal with ISUr is a negative for UND or SDSU. Personally, I think the statement from the honchos with the conference is lame, there needs to be some type of action taken against ISUr but there won't be. It doesn't sound like there is going to be any juggling of the schedule so now both UND and SDSU will get two bye weeks before the playoffs. Neither team really needs this game for the playoff hunt. This decision by ISUr is a net positive for both UND and SDSU.

Its all conjecture at this point until the rules are clearly defined. I would hope that it was discussed before the season given the likelihood of cancelled games. If your scenario plays out NDSU deserves the autobid given the head to head results. Have I told you that I am a Jacks and Panthers fan now?

POD Knows
March 22nd, 2021, 12:09 PM
Its all conjecture at this point until the rules are clearly defined. I would hope that it was discussed before the season given the likelihood of cancelled games. If your scenario plays out NDSU deserves the autobid given the head to head results. Have I told you that I am a Jacks and Panthers fan now?xlolx How do you sleep at night, I would be throwing up in my mouth every 30 seconds or so.

ysubigred
March 22nd, 2021, 12:20 PM
Nope, they would be co-champs even though NDSU won more games, won the head to head and had a higher winning % and also played 4 road games vs 3 for UND, I bet that is how it would shake out but NDSU winning out is not going to happen so the point is moot I guess.Yeah right...https://media2.giphy.com/media/i2GADdaJIscPS/giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7te6vcmwrmulrk07t0d44a0w885s7 eqs9uh7lj53l&rid=giphy.gif

Bisonator
March 22nd, 2021, 12:24 PM

Dewey
Tough **** once you start there should have been no option to opt out. Every team has had injuries. NDSU has had to move players to other positions in past seasons. This spring season never should have happened to begin with but when you commit to it then follow thru. This is BS plain and simple.

caribbeanhen
March 22nd, 2021, 01:49 PM
xlolx How do you sleep at night, I would be throwing up in my mouth every 30 seconds or so.

I saw that... the I'm just a jealous guy penned that in song to the SPM about 50 years ago..... lol

You live with straights who tell you, you was king
Jump when your momma tell you anything
The only thing you done was yesterday
And since you've gone you're just another day
How do you sleep?
How do you sleep at night?

SDFS
March 22nd, 2021, 02:41 PM
xlolx How do you sleep at night, I would be throwing up in my mouth every 30 seconds or so.

Well we beat the Jacks this year, so I can rationalize that... And the last time we played UNI as a D-II team UND won, so I can rationalize that also. But, the day I say I'm cheering for the Bison will be the day that Cats and Dogs are living together.

POD Knows
March 22nd, 2021, 02:42 PM
Well we beat the Jacks this year, so I can rationalize that... And the last time we played UNI as a D-II team UND won, so I can rationalize that also. But, the day I say I'm cheering for the Bison will be the day that Cats and Dogs are living together.Cats and dogs get along fine, I had a cat and a dog when I was a kid.

Schism55
March 22nd, 2021, 02:47 PM
https://twitter.com/FGOSPORTSWRITER/status/1374066840142503947

POD Knows
March 22nd, 2021, 02:57 PM
https://twitter.com/FGOSPORTSWRITER/status/1374066840142503947Thats great, SDSU gets an extra week to prepare for their Super Bowl, rest a bunch of guys, maybe heal up a few guys, **** you Spack

Professor Chaos
March 22nd, 2021, 03:00 PM
https://twitter.com/FGOSPORTSWRITER/status/1374066840142503947
I think Kolpack might be connecting some dots that shouldn't have been with that statement: https://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/college/south-dakota-state-university/2021/03/22/illinois-state-opts-out-spring-season-cancelling-weekends-game-south-dakota-state/4795117001/

“I talked to Coach Spack last week and he was concerned,” Stiegelmeier said. “He called me way before they announced it and said 'stop preparing for us because we’re not going to be able to play.' I really appreciated that. Disappointed, obviously, but we’ve probably been blessed to get the ones in we’ve got so far and we’ll try to get the other two in and see what happens.”
Sounds go me like Spack contacted Stig last week to express concern but not until after their game on Saturday to tell him they were done. It would look even worse for Spack and company if Kolpack was right though.

TheKingpin28
March 22nd, 2021, 03:39 PM
I think Kolpack might be connecting some dots that shouldn't have been with that statement: https://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/college/south-dakota-state-university/2021/03/22/illinois-state-opts-out-spring-season-cancelling-weekends-game-south-dakota-state/4795117001/

Sounds go me like Spack contacted Stig last week to express concern but not until after their game on Saturday to tell him they were done. It would look even worse for Spack and company if Kolpack was right though.

https://i.giphy.com/media/10Gp0wzMg4LB0A/giphy.webp

Honestly, if this is the case, the MVFC needs to penalize ISUr heavily for this. It looks really bad to try and pull this stunt and let teams know how to "prepare" against their opponents, or in this case, lack there of.

SDFS
March 22nd, 2021, 03:41 PM
Cats and dogs get along fine, I had a cat and a dog when I was a kid.

Hmmm, so you got yourself a juicy couture lap dog I see.

MVFCBeat
March 22nd, 2021, 04:53 PM
This week's power rankings are here. It was not easy.

https://www.missourivalleybeat.com/post/mvfc-football-week-6-power-rankings

Redbird 4th & short
March 23rd, 2021, 12:04 AM
All the criticisms of Spack (et al) are fair game ... he opted to play the season. And then especially with the overly corny hype video thing after MoST canceled.

But two things come to mind:

1. IMO this whole spring football season idea was a bad idea from the start, and Spack felt same way. It will go down with one big fat asterisk.

2. He admitted he is thinking about health of his players for the fall season .. the real season. Injuries will pile up, as well as players getting banged up without sufficient offseason to recover/heal and build yourself back up. One injury is likely to take some players out of 2 seasons, especially if injured in latter half of season. Imagine losing a few players in week 8.

Same for everyone, sure ... but it's a pandemic. Lot of tough decisions had to be made by many teams, coaches, players. Hell ... top basketball teams have opted out .. Duke, Kentucky ... and they have a full offseason coming, nor play as physical of a game.

MVFC penalizing ISUr would be silly .. it's the worst pandemic in 100 years, this season was forced into spring.

But yes, that hype video did not age well at all.

p.s. Petrino don't get squat for apology - saw his comments. His excuse was BS .. no way that field couldn't have been ready .. Hancock was ready and we had it colder and snowier. Spacks excuse was at least honest.

SDFS
March 23rd, 2021, 07:43 AM
All the criticisms of Spack (et al) are fair game ... he opted to play the season. And then especially with the overly corny hype video thing after MoST canceled.

1. IMO this whole spring football season idea was a bad idea from the start, and Spack felt same way. It will go down with one big fat asterisk.

2. He admitted he is thinking about health of his players for the fall season .. the real season. Injuries will pile up, as well as players getting banged up without sufficient offseason to recover/heal and build yourself back up. One injury is likely to take some players out of 2 seasons, especially if injured in latter half of season. Imagine losing a few players in week 8.

Same for everyone, sure ... but it's a pandemic. Lot of tough decisions had to be made by many teams, coaches, players. Hell ... top basketball teams have opted out .. Duke, Kentucky ... and they have a full offseason coming, nor play as physical of a game.

MVFC penalizing ISUr would be silly .. it's the worst pandemic in 100 years, this season was forced into spring.

p.s. Petrino don't get squat for apology - saw his comments. His excuse was BS .. no way that field couldn't have been ready .. Hancock was ready and we had it colder and snowier. Spacks excuse was at least honest.

So you are OK with gaming the system and gaining an advantage in the Fall season on all the other teams playing this spring. Well played I guess.

SUPharmacist
March 23rd, 2021, 07:52 AM

You could have stopped after the first two sentences. The rest of it is irrelevant.

Spack had every opportunity to make this decision at a more reasonable point it time. Every time a team opted out of the spring (particularly when ISUb opted out) when the Montana schools made their decision, even when MSU screwed them (could have pointed out that the season will be nothing but weird cancellations).

It is possible he wanted to say no from the get-go and wouldn't take a stand against the University administration or the players who wanted to do it. If so, he needs to have his I told you so with the admin internally or discuss with the players how best to work through the challenges. But as a coach and leader needs to show that you honor your commitments even through challenges.

It is also possible the University told him to pack it in and he just has the misfortune of getting to be the face of it. Sucks, but such is life and the program should look bad regardless of who made the decision.

POD Knows
March 23rd, 2021, 08:36 AM

https://www.missourivalleybeat.com/post/mvfc-football-week-6-power-rankingsYea, it wasn't easy and you got it wrong, but nice try

Christiank22
March 23rd, 2021, 09:15 AM

https://www.missourivalleybeat.com/post/mvfc-football-week-6-power-rankings

This truthfully might be the worst power ranking I’ve ever seen

Sycamore62
March 23rd, 2021, 10:27 AM
Still undefeated in Terre Haute.

This move really surprises me. seems like free experience for other players.

sorry I havent been around much. no football and officiating sports in Illinois has turned into the busiest time of my life.

that guy
March 23rd, 2021, 01:29 PM
I think the Redbirds said screw it we aren't going to the playoffs anyway. I watched one team due to injuries play two fresh. guards, fresh running back, and a full back as primary back beat the piss out of second ranked team at the time. I guess each to their own.

POD Knows
March 23rd, 2021, 03:46 PM
I think the Redbirds said screw it we aren't going to the playoffs anyway. I watched one team due to injuries play two fresh. guards, fresh running back, and a full back as primary back beat the piss out of second ranked team at the time. I guess each to their own.And lost a MLB early in the game and played a young kid.

dewey
March 23rd, 2021, 06:58 PM
So you are OK with gaming the system and gaining an advantage in the Fall season on all the other teams playing this spring. Well played I guess.

With that logic doesn't Indiana State, Montana and Montana State plus others that didn't play this spring have more of an advantage?

I think Spack made a really tough call but did what he thought was best for his players. Isn't that the top priority for any coach?

Dewey

Redbird 4th & short
March 24th, 2021, 05:34 AM
This is just silly .. no one is gaming the system. The system got broken when the pandemic hit - not at all surprising. Playing shortened season in the spring was not part of the system.

As for gaining an advantage ... that is not the point. For me and many who think like me .. the point is, why didn't they just cancel the fall season and wait until next fall. This spring season was forced into schedule and not a good idea. Injuries cause players/teams to lose 2 seasons. As we get later into this spring season, they are far more likely to miss entire offseason or even next fall season.

Lastly for anyone else wondering why Spack made this decision now (5th week) .. reports are coming out that there is a lot of dissension boiling over in Redbird land right now. Not quite sure what all is driving it or why .. not even sure how true it is. But I've now heard this from couple sources .. we're watching the transfer portal closely .. and the coaching staff.

Spack has a way of wearing people out .. and then reloading. But we've lost a lot since fall 2019 .. I was talking about this here before season started. Our 2 deep is thinnest it's ever been .. were competing, but struggling. Our defense is more dominant than I expected, but likely wearing thinner with each game and injury. And I know Spack believes it is at expense of next fall .. the real season. He apparently never wanted to play this spring season, and now there appears to be a lot of dissension boiling over.

For me, this season will always go down with a big asterisk. Shortened schedule, no non-conf, not a full field of teams or conferences, contracted playoffs .. and we'll see how this goes the next 1-2 months .. and then next fall as a result.

Some find Spacks decision to be hypocritical given his little hype video bit (anybody, anywhere, any time) .. and yes, that looks really stupid right now. But picture it from his perspective ... he was likely talked into playing this spring season. And then the very first game, MoST cancels for no legit reason .... and MVFC rolls over like lamb for Petrino .. that is what likely pissed him off to no end.

If more comes out on this dissension, I'll post. But now looking like there is more to this than Spack simply going all "no mas".

Redbird 4th & short
March 24th, 2021, 06:02 AM
You could have stopped after the first two sentences. The rest of it is irrelevant.

Spack had every opportunity to make this decision at a more reasonable point it time. Every time a team opted out of the spring (particularly when ISUb opted out) when the Montana schools made their decision, even when MSU screwed them (could have pointed out that the season will be nothing but weird cancellations).

It is possible he wanted to say no from the get-go and wouldn't take a stand against the University administration or the players who wanted to do it. If so, he needs to have his I told you so with the admin internally or discuss with the players how best to work through the challenges. But as a coach and leader needs to show that you honor your commitments even through challenges.

It is also possible the University told him to pack it in and he just has the misfortune of getting to be the face of it. Sucks, but such is life and the program should look bad regardless of who made the decision.
This is fair post .. though see my prior response on this. Waiting to see what more comes out about this turmoil and dissension behind scenes.

SDFS
March 24th, 2021, 02:53 PM
With that logic doesn't Indiana State, Montana and Montana State plus others that didn't play this spring have more of an advantage?

Prior to the start of the season, you had two options: 1) Don't play at all or 2) Play the entire spring schedule. ISU created a third option in the middle of the season. Hence, the comment about gaming the system. The advantages and disadvantages never really changed. And each team evaluated the options and made their decision prior to the start of the season. Would have ISU-B, MSU and UM chosen a third option - partial season? Who knows, it was never an option for them. Would have other schools chosen a partial season, who knows, it wasn't an option for them.

I think Spack made a really tough call but did what he thought was best for his players. Isn't that the top priority for any coach?
Dewey

Of course player safety is important but the real reason is that they don't want to potentially impact the 2021 fall season - that same risk was present prior to the start of the spring season. So, why the change now. They could have opt'd out prior to the spring season. Nothing associated with that risk has changed. They simply changed their minds and did what was convenient for them versus following through on a commitment. I don't like how they have handled themselves and we don't know the full impact to other teams. SDSU and MSU were expecting home games to help off set costs from the Spring schedule. Now, that is not going to happen and you can down the line with impacts to other schools.

I have said this before, injuries are a part of the game. UND started with 4 nose tackles they are down to 1. How are they going to deal with that... we will see this week? A couple of years ago they were down to a limited number of defensive ends. They moved a TE over. He is now a starter. You adapt to changing circumstances it is a good life lesson for everyone involved. The comment about player safety is simply cover fire.

MVFCBeat
March 24th, 2021, 03:58 PM
This truthfully might be the worst power ranking I’ve ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29M_VElHoFI

MVFCBeat
March 24th, 2021, 04:01 PM
Yea, it wasn't easy and you got it wrong, but nice try

Actually I think I got it right, but only time will tell for sure. xthumbsupx Can't make everyone happy in a three-way tie, and arguments can be made a lot of different ways. Happy to hear your reasoning and discuss if you're interested.

nodak651
March 24th, 2021, 04:35 PM
I don't get the whole depth excuse because ISU decided to start the season even though they didn't have a QB...

Redbird 4th & short
March 24th, 2021, 06:52 PM
I don't get the whole depth excuse because ISU decided to start the season even though they didn't have a QB...
you must be new to MVFC ... we start every season without a QB !!!

Redbird 4th & short
March 24th, 2021, 06:57 PM
Prior to the start of the season, you had two options: 1) Don't play at all or 2) Play the entire spring schedule. ISU created a third option in the middle of the season. Hence, the comment about gaming the system. The advantages and disadvantages never really changed. And each team evaluated the options and made their decision prior to the start of the season. Would have ISU-B, MSU and UM chosen a third option - partial season? Who knows, it was never an option for them. Would have other schools chosen a partial season, who knows, it wasn't an option for them.

Of course player safety is important but the real reason is that they don't want to potentially impact the 2021 fall season - that same risk was present prior to the start of the spring season. So, why the change now. They could have opt'd out prior to the spring season. Nothing associated with that risk has changed. They simply changed their minds and did what was convenient for them versus following through on a commitment. I don't like how they have handled themselves and we don't know the full impact to other teams. SDSU and MSU were expecting home games to help off set costs from the Spring schedule. Now, that is not going to happen and you can down the line with impacts to other schools.

I have said this before, injuries are a part of the game. UND started with 4 nose tackles they are down to 1. How are they going to deal with that... we will see this week? A couple of years ago they were down to a limited number of defensive ends. They moved a TE over. He is now a starter. You adapt to changing circumstances it is a good life lesson for everyone involved. The comment about player safety is simply cover fire.

In a normal fall season, all your points are 1000% valid. This is anything but a normal season.

This is a agree to disagree situation IMO .. I get your point, I just don't agree given circumstances.

MVFCBeat
March 25th, 2021, 03:21 PM
Alright.....rationale on my rankings if anyone cares.....

I get the criticism and it is fair. I especially see it coming from an NDSU perspective. Ya’ll think you should always be #1 and rightfully so because you have been #1 almost nonstop for a decade. NDSU kicked UND’s butt so how could they be behind them? My explanation is that I took a wholistic approach. If you look just beyond that game and are ranking the group as whole, you have this situation. NDSU beat UND, UND beat SIU (and SDSU), SIU beat NDSU (and lost to SDSU). I am not just ranking NDSU, I am ranking all the teams. Typically, I believe teams get bids not conferences. However this season, since there is very little nonconference play I do actually think conferences will essentially get bids instead of teams and think the Valley will get three. Right now, UND is still in better position to make it than NDSU in my opinion due to wins over SDSU and SIU. If North Dakota wins out (they play @YSU and vs. MSU so that is very possible) they are getting in. Even if they lose one, due to the wins they already have they have a very good chance. NDSU still has work to do since their only quality win is against UND and they got blown out by SIU. Assuming they beat South Dakota and UNI, they may still have to beat SDSU to get in. In the event SDSU beats NDSU, you’ve got SDSU and UND as probably locks (assuming they don’t stub their toe elsewhere) and a third spot would probably come down to NDSU and SIU (assuming SIU doesn’t also stub their toe which is not a given since they are running out of QBs). SIU kicked NDSU’s ass. So in that scenario you either need to take four from the MVFC or NDSU is probably getting left out.

That is my rationale. The Fighting Hawks have two quality wins and just have to beat two inferior (on paper) opponents to be a lock. SDSU has a non-blowout road loss to UND and a blowout win over SIU on the road (and a road win against UNI to boot). NDSU has a win over North Dakota at home and that is by far the best thing on their resume this spring. That is why I have them third. If NDSU wins their last three, they’re easily number 1. But as it is right now this week in the jumble that is the MVFC I just don’t see it that way.

Can easily make an argument that I am wrong. But that is my rationale.

Professor Chaos
March 25th, 2021, 05:41 PM
Alright.....rationale on my rankings if anyone cares.....

I get the criticism and it is fair. I especially see it coming from an NDSU perspective. Ya’ll think you should always be #1 and rightfully so because you have been #1 almost nonstop for a decade. NDSU kicked UND’s butt so how could they be behind them? My explanation is that I took a wholistic approach. If you look just beyond that game and are ranking the group as whole, you have this situation. NDSU beat UND, UND beat SIU (and SDSU), SIU beat NDSU (and lost to SDSU). I am not just ranking NDSU, I am ranking all the teams. Typically, I believe teams get bids not conferences. However this season, since there is very little nonconference play I do actually think conferences will essentially get bids instead of teams and think the Valley will get three. Right now, UND is still in better position to make it than NDSU in my opinion due to wins over SDSU and SIU. If North Dakota wins out (they play @YSU and vs. MSU so that is very possible) they are getting in. Even if they lose one, due to the wins they already have they have a very good chance. NDSU still has work to do since their only quality win is against UND and they got blown out by SIU. Assuming they beat South Dakota and UNI, they may still have to beat SDSU to get in. In the event SDSU beats NDSU, you’ve got SDSU and UND as probably locks (assuming they don’t stub their toe elsewhere) and a third spot would probably come down to NDSU and SIU (assuming SIU doesn’t also stub their toe which is not a given since they are running out of QBs). SIU kicked NDSU’s ass. So in that scenario you either need to take four from the MVFC or NDSU is probably getting left out.

That is my rationale. The Fighting Hawks have two quality wins and just have to beat two inferior (on paper) opponents to be a lock. SDSU has a non-blowout road loss to UND and a blowout win over SIU on the road (and a road win against UNI to boot). NDSU has a win over North Dakota at home and that is by far the best thing on their resume this spring. That is why I have them third. If NDSU wins their last three, they’re easily number 1. But as it is right now this week in the jumble that is the MVFC I just don’t see it that way.

Can easily make an argument that I am wrong. But that is my rationale.
The only criticism I'd give is you're making your job a lot harder by anticipating the results of the remaining schedule and factoring that into your rankings. I guarantee there will be upsets in these last 4 weeks that'll baffle you. NDSU, SIU, and UND are all road favorites this Saturday and even in a normal fall season I'd say at least one of those teams is going to get upset... given the wackiness of this spring season it's even more likely and there might even by multiple upsets amongst those teams.

Based on that I think any 2 loss MVFC team is going to be in (and don't forget that Missouri St is in that group in consideration too) because it's going to be a war of attrition and I'd expect 4 MVFC teams tops will end up with 2 losses or less and more than likely it'll be 3.

Professor Chaos
March 25th, 2021, 07:11 PM
Top of the hat to Sam Herder and HERO Sports for tracking down the complicated tie breaker procedures for all the conferences playing this spring: https://herosports.com/fcs-football-conference-tiebreaker-playoff-auto-bid-bzbz/

Here's the MVFC:

In the event a full schedule is played by all members, standings shall follow normal tiebreaking procedures. If any game is canceled due to COVID-related matters, the game will be registered as a “no contest.”

Title and AQ Eligibility Standards

To be eligible for the regular-season title and automatic bid to the NCAA Championship:

If 75 percent or more league games are played (30 of 40), a team must play no less than two fewer conference games than the average number of conference games played by all teams to be eligible.
If fewer than 75 percent of the league games are played, a team must play no less than one fewer conference game than the average number of conference games played by all teams to be eligible.

# of Games Played Scenarios

40-All Games — full schedule, normal tiebreaker

35-39 games (7.0 avg. GP – 7.9 avg. GP) — 5 games required to be eligible

25-34 games (5.0 avg. GP – 6.9 avg. GP) — 4 games required to be eligible

20-24 games (4.0 avg. GP – 4.9 avg. GP) — 3 games required to be eligible

Fewer than 20 total games (less than 50 percent games played) .. no minimum threshold

*A team may add a loss (or losses) to its record to meet minimum games-played thresholds for regular-season title and AQ consideration.

Standings shall be determined according to respective won-lost records and winning percentages in Conference games. The team with the best won-lost percentage shall be champion.

In the event of an unbalanced schedule due to cancellation of games: If two (or more) teams have the same number of conference losses but a different number of conference wins, head-to-head results will take precedence over winning percentage, as long as the two (or more) teams meet minimum number of games language noted above.

If the game was canceled between two teams with the same winning percentage in all conference games or the same number of conference losses but a different number of conference wins, move to tiebreaker for two teams below. If a game or games was canceled between three or more teams with the same winning percentage in all conference games or the same number of conference losses but a different number of conference wins, move to tiebreaker for three or more teams below.

Two Teams Tied

1. In the event of a two-team tie in the conference results and the two teams played each other, the winner of the game shall be declared the NCAA automatic qualifier.

2. If the tied teams did not play each other, then each team’s record against all common conference opponents shall be used to determine the NCAA automatic qualifier.

3. If the teams are still tied, then each team’s record against the next highest common opponent in the conference standings shall be used to determine the NCAA automatic qualifier.

4. If the teams are still tied, the latest available Sagarin Rating shall be used as the final tiebreaker. Rating will only be used as a ranking system or tiebreaker in the event all teams under consideration have played a minimum of 8 total (non-conference plus conference) games. In the event only a partial schedule is played and Sagarin cannot be utilized, the Conference will utilize the Media (STATS) Top 25 poll to break the tie.

Three or More Teams Tied

1. If at any point a tie is broken using the multiple-tie tiebreaker procedures and only two teams remain tied, the remaining teams shall revert to the two-way tiebreaker (See above).

2. If the tied teams all played one another, the team with the best cumulative record involving games among the tied teams shall be declared the NCAA automatic qualifier.

3. If the tied teams all played one another and have identical records against the other tied teams, then each team’s record against all common conference opponents shall be used to determine the NCAA automatic bid. If teams are still tied, then each team’s record against the next highest common opponent in the conference standings shall determine the automatic bid.

4. If the tied teams did not play each other, then each team’s record against common conference opponents shall be used to determine the automatic bid. If the tied teams did not play each other, but one team played and defeated the other two teams, that team is the champion.

5. If the teams are still tied and they did not play each other, then each team’s record against the next highest common opponent in the conference standings shall determine the automatic bid.

6. If the teams are still tied, the latest available Sagarin Rating shall be used as the final tiebreaker. Sagarin Rating will only be used as a ranking system or tiebreaker in the event all teams under consideration have played a minimum of 8 total (non-conference plus conference) games. In the event only a partial schedule is played and Sagarin cannot be utilized, the Conference will utilize the Media (STATS) Top 25 poll to break the tie.

Clear as mud right??? All I can say is I hope the STATS poll never has to come into play.

TheKingpin28
March 25th, 2021, 08:03 PM
Top of the hat to Sam Herder and HERO Sports for tracking down the complicated tie breaker procedures for all the conferences playing this spring: https://herosports.com/fcs-football-conference-tiebreaker-playoff-auto-bid-bzbz/

Here's the MVFC:

Clear as mud right??? All I can say is I hope the STATS poll never has to come into play.Using the STATS poll as a tie breaker is a farce if I have ever heard of one.

Professor Chaos
March 25th, 2021, 08:05 PM
Using the STATS poll as a tie breaker is a farce if I have ever heard of one.

I mean it's probably a slightly better option than a coin flip or the Coaches Poll at least.... I can give it that.

TheKingpin28
March 25th, 2021, 08:08 PM
I mean it's probably a slightly better option than a coin flip or the Coaches Poll at least.... I can give it that.The scary thing is that is not saying much. I mean, it's not like there is a poll out there that does a better job or anything like that.

Yeah that Coaches Poll makes STATS seem bearable.

Schism55
March 26th, 2021, 10:53 AM
https://twitter.com/jeffculhane/status/1375474390184394759

Dang...

nodak651
March 26th, 2021, 11:24 AM
https://twitter.com/jeffculhane/status/1375474390184394759

Dang...

Damnit! Makes sense why there were false rumors about the hockey team getting it. It was football...

SDFS
March 26th, 2021, 12:52 PM
Damnit! Makes sense why there were false rumors about the hockey team getting it. It was football...

I thought the confusion was around initials UND - people were saying North Dakota Hockey had problems when it is Notre Dame that had problems.

MVFCBeat
March 26th, 2021, 02:06 PM
The only criticism I'd give is you're making your job a lot harder by anticipating the results of the remaining schedule and factoring that into your rankings. I guarantee there will be upsets in these last 4 weeks that'll baffle you. NDSU, SIU, and UND are all road favorites this Saturday and even in a normal fall season I'd say at least one of those teams is going to get upset... given the wackiness of this spring season it's even more likely and there might even by multiple upsets amongst those teams.

Based on that I think any 2 loss MVFC team is going to be in (and don't forget that Missouri St is in that group in consideration too) because it's going to be a war of attrition and I'd expect 4 MVFC teams tops will end up with 2 losses or less and more than likely it'll be 3.

That's fair. I wouldn't say I anticipated the results so much as I just think UND has done their work already while NDSU has yet to do it (still has to play SDSU). It would be a letdown for UND to take another L, but YSU and MSU are certainly capable. And that changes things. But they've already played the other three contending teams (unless you count MSU as a contender) and they won two of the three. It just so happens the team they lost to is NDSU.

I do think there is a path for four MVFC teams to get in too. Going to be a fascinating selection. Pretty much an impossible task tbh.

Chalupa Batman
March 26th, 2021, 02:55 PM
That's fair. I wouldn't say I anticipated the results so much as I just think UND has done their work already while NDSU has yet to do it (still has to play SDSU). It would be a letdown for UND to take another L, but YSU and MSU are certainly capable. And that changes things. But they've already played the other three contending teams (unless you count MSU as a contender) and they won two of the three. It just so happens the team they lost to is NDSU.

I do think there is a path for four MVFC teams to get in too. Going to be a fascinating selection. Pretty much an impossible task tbh.

The whole season needs to be taken into account, however I think recent results need to carry more weight. As of now I would rank them

SDSU
NDSU (virtual tie between these two with slightest edge to Bunnies)
UND
SIU
MSU
UNI
YSU
USD
WIU

mmiller_34
March 26th, 2021, 03:06 PM
The whole season needs to be taken into account, however I think recent results need to carry more weight. As of now I would rank them

SDSU
UND
SIU
MSU
UNI
YSU
USD
WIU

I don't see how you can come up with those results. Lots of sandbagging NDSU fans before our game I see.

NDSU (Beat UND)
UND (Beat SDSU)
SDSU (Beat SIU)
SIU (Beat NDSU -- FLUKE.)
MSU (Beat UNI)
UNI (Doesnt matter)
YSU (Doesnt matter)
USD (doesnt matter)
WIU (doesn't matter)

We're only going to have weird tie breaks if SDSU beats NDSU (We won't). If that happens (It won't) then I think it would go like this: UND-SDSU-NDSU (UND has head-to-head against SDSU, but SDSU & UND both beat SIU, NDSU didn't). IDK its all weird.

nodak651
March 26th, 2021, 03:28 PM

SDSU
UND
SIU
MSU
UNI
YSU
USD
WIU

I think this is perfect. UND looked like **** on both sides of the line vs NDSU and that's the most important part of the game.

Chalupa Batman
March 26th, 2021, 04:19 PM
I don't see how you can come up with those results. Lots of sandbagging NDSU fans before our game I see.

NDSU (Beat UND)
UND (Beat SDSU)
SDSU (Beat SIU)
SIU (Beat NDSU -- FLUKE.)
MSU (Beat UNI)
UNI (Doesnt matter)
YSU (Doesnt matter)
USD (doesnt matter)
WIU (doesn't matter)

We're only going to have weird tie breaks if SDSU beats NDSU (We won't). If that happens (It won't) then I think it would go like this: UND-SDSU-NDSU (UND has head-to-head against SDSU, but SDSU & UND both beat SIU, NDSU didn't). IDK its all weird.

No, not sandbagging. Like is said NDSU and SDSU is pretty much a tie but I gave the slight edge to you because all of your tough games so far have been on the road. You are the only team in the conference to win a road game against the top tier or the MVFC (NDSU, SDSU, UND, SIU, UNI) and you’ve done so twice including last week in impressive fashion against a team that dump-trucked us. We lost by 24 and we were lucky it was that close. Also your loss against UND you were in the game and if not for a key mistake or two you could have very well won that game.

Edit: Misery State just won at UNI this past week, the only other road win against the top tier of the conference. But they were also missing McElvain.

Professor Chaos
March 26th, 2021, 05:35 PM
No, not sandbagging. Like is said NDSU and SDSU is pretty much a tie but I gave the slight edge to you because all of your tough games so far have been on the road. You are the only team in the conference to win a road game against the top tier or the MVFC (NDSU, SDSU, UND, SIU, UNI) and you’ve done so twice including last week in impressive fashion against a team that dump-trucked us. We lost by 24 and we were lucky it was that close. Also your loss against UND you were in the game and if not for a key mistake or two you could have very well won that game.

Edit: Misery State just won at UNI this past week, the only other road win against the top tier of the conference. But they were also missing McElvain.

If you're going to put teams in tiers it's pretty tough to put UNI on a separate tier from Missouri St right now whether UNI was missing MvElwain or not and NDSU has a pretty convincing road win at Missouri St as well. I feel like a lot of people are underselling that win because of Missouri St's rep (or lack thereof) but that win keeps looking better and better for the Bison.

Chalupa Batman
March 26th, 2021, 05:58 PM
If you're going to put teams in tiers it's pretty tough to put UNI on a separate tier from Missouri St right now whether UNI was missing MvElwain or not and NDSU has a pretty convincing road win at Missouri St as well. I feel like a lot of people are underselling that win because of Missouri St's rep (or lack thereof) but that win keeps looking better and better for the Bison.

Yeah you're right that MSU should be included in the same tier as UNI. Thinking about it a little more I was including UNI out of habit and instead would put those 2 in the 2nd tier behind the 1st tier of SDSU, NDSU, UND, and SIU. Should get a better idea of just how good they are after the next two games against SIU and @UND.

I would still rank SDSU #1 by a razor thin margin if was doing a power ranking of the conference.

Professor Chaos
March 26th, 2021, 06:37 PM
Yeah you're right that MSU should be included in the same tier as UNI. Thinking about it a little more I was including UNI out of habit and instead would put those 2 in the 2nd tier behind the 1st tier of SDSU, NDSU, UND, and SIU. Should get a better idea of just how good they are after the next two games against SIU and @UND.

I would still rank SDSU #1 by a razor thin margin if was doing a power ranking of the conference.
I'd agree that SDSU should be #1 in the conference right now. The SIU@MSU game tomorrow will tell us a lot about whether MSU is for real and/or whether SIU is trending downward due to injury or otherwise.

Chalupa Batman
March 26th, 2021, 07:13 PM
I'd agree that SDSU should be #1 in the conference right now. The SIU@MSU game tomorrow will tell us a lot about whether MSU is for real and/or whether SIU is trending downward due to injury or otherwise.

If MSU beats SIU (which I actually expect) I'd say it would be a little bit of both. Would that bump MSU up to the top tier? Knock SIU down to the 2nd tier? I would answer no and yes and flip them in my rankings and put MSU #4 and SIU #5. That would make a top tier of SDSU/NDSU/UND, a 2nd tier of MSU/SIU/UNI with a 3rd tier of YSU/USD/WIU. If MSU does beat the Salukis that would make for a huge game the following week when the Bears visit UND.

Professor Chaos
March 26th, 2021, 07:16 PM
If MSU beats SIU (which I actually expect) I'd say it would be a little bit of both. Would that bump MSU up to the top tier? Knock SIU down to the 2nd tier? I would answer no and yes and flip them in my rankings and put MSU #4 and SIU #5. That would make a top tier of SDSU/NDSU/UND, a 2nd tier of MSU/SIU/UNI with a 3rd tier of YSU/USD/WIU. If MSU does beat the Salukis that would make for a huge game the following week when the Bears visit UND.
Just call the top tier the Summit League tier and the 2nd tier the MVC tier. ;)

mmiller_34
March 26th, 2021, 08:21 PM
SDSU is below NDSU and UND until we prove otherwise vs NDSU in a week.

dewey
March 27th, 2021, 08:55 AM
Happy Gameday!

My prediction
NDSU 34
USD 13

Deweyhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210327/e958e6bbfec64d2fec34af0aed1fd54e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

ysubigred
March 27th, 2021, 08:59 AM
Damnit! Makes sense why there were false rumors about the hockey team getting it. It was football...I'm glad it's rescheduled. I hope all effected with the virus is doing well.

JayJ79
March 27th, 2021, 09:40 AM
"If any game is canceled due to COVID-related matters, the game will be registered as a “no contest.” "

does Illinois State taking their ball and going home qualify as "covid-related matters"?