December 30th, 2019, 06:21 PM
Briscoe? xlolx

BEAR
December 30th, 2019, 06:43 PM
Is this the MVFC list? xrolleyesx

IBleedYellow
December 30th, 2019, 06:44 PM
Briscoe? xlolx

I would probably go with Vernon Adams from Eastern Washington or Easton Stick from North Dakota State before Briscoe....woof.

Professor Chaos
December 30th, 2019, 06:53 PM
Briscoe? xlolx
Well, he is the only two time winner of the Walter Payton Award in the award's history I believe so I suppose STATS/Haley felt obligated... of course most of us realize it was highway robbery to give it to him over Streveler in 2017.

dewey
December 30th, 2019, 11:08 PM
Briscoe?

How about...the following;
Brock Jensen NDSU
Carson Wentz NDSU
Bo Levi Mitchell EWU
Bryan Schor JMU
Easton Stick NDSU

Briscoe?

At least go with Devlin Hodges from Samford.

Terrance West from Towson was a STUD!

So was Tre Roberson from Illinois State in 2014 and 2015.

Also no Kyle Emanuel NDSU 2014 Buck Buchanan award winner and played in the NFL for about 4 years before he chose to retire.

Dewey

dewey
December 30th, 2019, 11:15 PM
I can think of at least 4 more deserving QB's

Brent Russel doesn't merit inclusion. Khalen Saunders got robbed

Agreed on Saunders from WIU.

Plus UNI has had some stud defensive lineman this decade....paging Clenz....where are you?

Dewey

PaladinFan
December 31st, 2019, 05:24 AM
I can think of at least 4 more deserving QB's

Brent Russel doesn't merit inclusion. Khalen Saunders got robbed

Russell was a 3x all american.

Professor Chaos
December 31st, 2019, 08:19 AM
Briscoe?

Brock Jensen NDSU
Carson Wentz NDSU
Bo Levi Mitchell EWU
Bryan Schor JMU
Easton Stick NDSU

Briscoe?

Also no Kyle Emanuel NDSU 2014 Buck Buchanan award winner and played in the NFL for about 4 years before he chose to retire.

Dewey
They said Emanuel was only 1st team all-conference once and that's why he didn't make the cut.

Nothing earth shattering but playing in a crappy conference with no depth behind you on your own team or your own conference is a big plus for your chances apparently.

POD Knows
December 31st, 2019, 08:33 AM
Agreed on Saunders from WIU.

Plus UNI has had some stud defensive lineman this decade....paging Clenz....where are you?

DeweyYea, Williams from UNI was probably the best D lineman the Bison had ever faced. It is tough when you have to narrow it down to one team and include a decade of individuals. The QB deal is the most glaring to me, I never understood the allure of this Briscoe guy, he was a chuck and ducker, no mobility, just happened to play in a conference with a lot of weak teams at the time. He would have got destroyed in the MVFC week in and week out but he had big numbers so onward and upward I guess.

clenz
December 31st, 2019, 09:10 AM
Yea, Williams from UNI was probably the best D lineman the Bison had ever faced. It is tough when you have to narrow it down to one team and include a decade of individuals. The QB deal is the most glaring to me, I never understood the allure of this Briscoe guy, he was a chuck and ducker, no mobility, just happened to play in a conference with a lot of weak teams at the time. He would have got destroyed in the MVFC week in and week out but he had big numbers so onward and upward I guess.UNI turns our All American defensive backs like old school traditionalist cathlics do kids. The most glaring DL of the last decade are

DT Ben Boothby- Probably hurt by playing only 2 years of the 10s (10 and 11)
-142 tackles (85 solo) 34.5 TFL 17 sacks in those two years
--top 10 in Buchannon award voting in 2011, 2 time first team MVFC, First Team All American, Campbell Award semifinalist...played his senior season on a torn meniscus.

DT Xavier Williams - 3 year starter - behind Ben Boothby as a freshman
-217 tackles (118 solo) 28 TFL 14 sacks 2 FF 1 FR 6 PBU, 7 BLOCKED KICKS (5 in 1 season which is a FCS record I believe)
--Two time first team All MVFC, All American

DE Karter Schulte - 3 year starer
-187 tackles (131 solo) 54.5 TFL, 34.5 sacks), 5 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries, 1 int, 20 QBH, 4 PBU, 1 blocked kicked, 1 safety...hell as a JR/SR alone he had 155 tackles (112 solo) 46.5 TFL (216 yards), 31 sacks (177 yards) 4 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery, 1 INT, 13 QBH, 5 PBU, a blocked kick and a safety
--Buchannon WINNER, Named to every All American team out there as a JR and a SR.

Also not one UNI LB from the decade made it? Okay....I mean we didn't have multiple Farley's, LJ Fort, Brett McMakin (who left early for the NFL)....not one of those 7 players were good enough for an all decade team? Maybe UNI is hurt bu the fact we have so many guys year after year after year on All Conference/All American lists from the defensive side of the ball that they are all just "system guys"

Okay. Cool.

Whatever.

Briscoe is a joke of selection at QB

Herdistheword
December 31st, 2019, 10:03 AM
I get why they chose Briscoe, but he is the definition of a paper tiger to me. I cringe whenever I see his name. I think Kupp, Weineke, and Goedert were all solid choices at WR/TE. I had to laugh at the twitter comments from people who were mad about Wentz not being selected as the QB. It is surprising how many people don’t realize that Wentz’s college accolades (stats-wise) did not come anywhere close to matching his raw talent. Wentz did not have nearly the college accolades that most of his own conference mates had...

Mattymc727
December 31st, 2019, 10:20 AM
Unless you are going to have a full depth chart, this task is almost impossible. A full decade, every team, and every position? Just too many great players to choose from.

The NFL is doing top 100 players of all time, that would have been more interesting. FCs top 100 players of the last decade.

POD Knows
December 31st, 2019, 11:53 AM
UNI turns our All American defensive backs like old school traditionalist cathlics do kids. The most glaring DL of the last decade are

--top 10 in Buchannon award voting in 2011, 2 time first team MVFC, First Team All American, Campbell Award semifinalist...played his senior season on a torn meniscus.

-217 tackles (118 solo) 28 TFL 14 sacks 2 FF 1 FR 6 PBU, 7 BLOCKED KICKS (5 in 1 season which is a FCS record I believe)

-187 tackles (131 solo) 54.5 TFL, 34.5 sacks), 5 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries, 1 int, 20 QBH, 4 PBU, 1 blocked kicked, 1 safety...hell as a JR/SR alone he had 155 tackles (112 solo) 46.5 TFL (216 yards), 31 sacks (177 yards) 4 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery, 1 INT, 13 QBH, 5 PBU, a blocked kick and a safety
--Buchannon WINNER, Named to every All American team out there as a JR and a SR.

Also not one UNI LB from the decade made it? Okay....I mean we didn't have multiple Farley's, LJ Fort, Brett McMakin (who left early for the NFL)....not one of those 7 players were good enough for an all decade team? Maybe UNI is hurt bu the fact we have so many guys year after year after year on All Conference/All American lists from the defensive side of the ball that they are all just "system guys"

Okay. Cool.

Whatever.

Briscoe is a joke of selection at QBThe fact that Williams had that many TFL's shows how tough the guy was, NT's usually don't put up those kinds of numbers.

POD Knows
December 31st, 2019, 11:55 AM
I get why they chose Briscoe, but he is the definition of a paper tiger to me. I cringe whenever I see his name. I think Kupp, Weineke, and Goedert were all solid choices at WR/TE. I had to laugh at the twitter comments from people who were mad about Wentz not being selected as the QB. It is surprising how many people don’t realize that Wentz’s college accolades (stats-wise) did not come anywhere close to matching his raw talent. Wentz did not have nearly the college accolades that most of his own conference mates had...Hell, if Lance continues on his current pace, Wentz might be the #4 COLLEGE QB at NDSU in the past decade.

BEAR
December 31st, 2019, 04:23 PM
Unless you are going to have a full depth chart, this task is almost impossible. A full decade, every team, and every position? Just too many great players to choose from.

The NFL is doing top 100 players of all time, that would have been more interesting. FCs top 100 players of the last decade.

This is so true.

Daytripper
December 31st, 2019, 09:18 PM
Briscoe?

Brock Jensen NDSU
Carson Wentz NDSU
Bo Levi Mitchell EWU
Bryan Schor JMU
Easton Stick NDSU

Briscoe?

Dewey

https://media.giphy.com/media/hTHhAR2tyEGO6ifde0/giphy.gif

FormerPokeCenter
January 2nd, 2020, 09:45 PM
Briscoe?

Brock Jensen NDSU
Carson Wentz NDSU
Bo Levi Mitchell EWU
Bryan Schor JMU
Easton Stick NDSU

Briscoe?

Dewey

I see what you did there! Nice!

All those guys did was win Nattys...

Bisonoline
January 2nd, 2020, 11:35 PM
Briscoe?

Brock Jensen NDSU
Carson Wentz NDSU
Bo Levi Mitchell EWU
Bryan Schor JMU
Easton Stick NDSU

Briscoe?

Dewey

Brisco did win one of these.

https://i.imgur.com/AkzKXMQ.jpg

lionsrking2
January 3rd, 2020, 01:23 AM

They are only one of 24 schools who have at least one, so there's that.

grizband
January 3rd, 2020, 03:23 AM
Trumaine Johnson (CB, Montana) is a notable omission from this list.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

PaladinFan
January 3rd, 2020, 04:59 AM
If you are arguing sheer numbers, its hard to not have Devlin Hodges as the QB. He set the FCS record for passing yards (nearly 15,000), 69% completion percentage, 111 touchdowns.

Sure, he was a "system" QB, but so were most of the QBs in the conversation. His talent wasn't just a product of the system, though, as he's played in 8 games in the NFL this year and started in a few of them.

dewey
January 3rd, 2020, 10:07 AM

I think Briscoe wasn't at SHSU yet.

He was on the Bearkats team in 2015 through 2017.

In 2014 and 2015 he was at UAB.

Though I do like the National runner up shirt shot:D

Dewey

cx500d
January 3rd, 2020, 10:21 AM

Did he? He was no Brian Bell. At least Bell got them to the dance and not ending the season with a 50 point loss

dewey
January 3rd, 2020, 10:57 AM
Briscoe wasn't at SHSU for their title game teams. See my post above.

There is still an indentation in the field from Kyle Emanuel destroying Brian Bell. I think it was a 4th down play.

Dewey

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200103/d3af9fc04be7d6473d908773d7cae0ed.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Silenoz
January 3rd, 2020, 02:33 PM
Briscoe is a fine choice. You guys are just stuck seeing everything through the lens of "how player x did against NDSU"

cx500d
January 3rd, 2020, 05:29 PM
Briscoe is a fine choice. You guys are just stuck seeing everything through the lens of "how player x did against NDSU"

I don’t know...
62-10, 65-7, 55-13 are pretty telling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clenz
January 3rd, 2020, 05:32 PM
I don’t know...
62-10, 65-7, 55-13 are pretty telling

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkSo it's his fault his defense gave up 60 points per game?

Got it

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

cx500d
January 3rd, 2020, 05:36 PM
So it's his fault his defense gave up 60 points per game?

Got it

No, but he couldn’t compete when the chips were down. He didn’t even have them in the game.

clenz
January 3rd, 2020, 05:38 PM
He could have score 59 points per game in those games and lost all 3

Your ignorance about football outside of NDSUs Dre world is showing.

cx500d
January 3rd, 2020, 05:44 PM

If he would have scored 59 points I would say he was a baller. But he didn’t.

JSUSoutherner
January 3rd, 2020, 07:37 PM
Briscoe was trash. Any time he went up against a team with a pass rush he folded like a cheap suit.

X-Factor
January 3rd, 2020, 07:51 PM

It’s pretty ignorant to think that a sustenance of an offense for SHSU wouldn’t completely change the complexion of any those games.

The best defense is sometimes a good offense.

Herdistheword
January 3rd, 2020, 09:06 PM
I think Briscoe will always be one of those guys that folded under pressure, but I also understand his inclusion from an accolades perspective. Honestly, a list like this is impossible to do, because you could make arguments for 5-10 deserving guys at each position. Is there a runaway favorite at any one position?

JSUSoutherner
January 3rd, 2020, 09:15 PM
I think Briscoe will always be one of those guys that folded under pressure, but I also understand his inclusion from an accolades perspective. Honestly, a list like this is impossible to do, because you could make arguments for 5-10 deserving guys at each position. Is there a runaway favorite at any one position?

Yeah. Kupp at WR.

neverobeyed
January 3rd, 2020, 10:11 PM

This is a tough task. But, man ... Briscoe?

Sadly, the NFL can't even get that right, having done the voting for the top 100 for the first 100 years at the ... drum roll please ... 98-year mark. The NFL just keeps stepping on its own d*ck. STATS follows suit with this.

JSUSoutherner
January 4th, 2020, 06:09 AM
This is a tough task. But, man ... Briscoe?

Sadly, the NFL can't even get that right, having done the voting for the top 100 for the first 100 years at the ... drum roll please ... 98-year mark. The NFL just keeps stepping on its own d*ck. STATS follows suit with this.

Although the name NFL wasn't a thing until 1922 the AFPA was established in 1920. In Canton.

neverobeyed
January 4th, 2020, 07:20 AM
Yup. Ralph May’s auto dealership was where the APFA meeting occurred the the league began.

JSUSoutherner
January 4th, 2020, 08:44 AM
Yup. Ralph May’s auto dealership was where the APFA meeting occurred the the league began.

Did you see the Peyton's Places episode about it? It's a good watch if you haven't seen it.

Redbird 4th & short
January 4th, 2020, 10:44 AM
Yeah. Kupp at WR.
Not that this matters ... but in the woulda coulda shoulda category at WR .. if ISUr WR Cam Meredith "woulda" listened to his coaches sooner and moved from being a backup QB his first 3 seasons behind Matt Brown (class 2012) sooner than his RS JR year 2013, he "coulda" had his breakout season much sooner than 2014. He was 6'3", very athletic, had very soft hands, could run in low 4.4's legit. He very quickly learned the WR position and was just very naturallly gifted. He had just 21 catches as JR with a very weak pass game, then broke out as SR in 2014 with 66 catches and 1061 yards.

And just to show how his rapid development continued .. fast forward to NFL .. my Bears signed him in 2015 after tryout as undrafted free agent in 2015, played very little in 2015, then after couple injuries to WR group, he became starter in 2016 getting 66 catches for 888 yards. In his first start in week 5, he had 9 catches for 130 yards .. could have been a 1000 yard receiver. Had some tough luck with 2 different injuries since that breakout 2016 season. But was able to sign a big contract with Saints, but got injured again. So he will probably drop way down in his next deal.

Just saying, he was a late comer to WR but incredibly talented. Would have been fun to watch hin for develop in college for 4 + years, as opposed to not making the move to WR until his 4 season. IMO he would have been contender for all decade team if he had 4 years.

ejjones
January 4th, 2020, 11:16 AM
UNI turns our All American defensive backs like old school traditionalist cathlics do kids. The most glaring DL of the last decade are

Okay. Cool.

Whatever.

Briscoe is a joke of selection at QB
Tough competition at DT/NT:
Javon Hargrave- 37 sacks 62.5 TFL was a complete nightmare to handle. Even comparing NFL stats with X. Williams, Hardgrave has twice as many tackles (157) & 5 times the # of sacks (14,5). And Williams had a year head start.

JSUSoutherner
January 4th, 2020, 01:32 PM
Not that this matters ...

Kupp wasn't in the shoulda woulda coulda category.

He was in the Veni, Vidi, Vici category. He could and he did.

Redbird 4th & short
January 4th, 2020, 02:58 PM

agreed .. unlike some other EWU receivers with big numbers in that offense and conference, his physical skills and receiver skills clearly translated to next level. Plus he had several very good years to Merediths one.

I was only saying, Meredith was also very skilled WR and did have one very good year .. just was a novice for the 1st of his 2 years at FCS level .. not to mention, we were pretty bad in pass game his first season at WR in 2013 .. by midseason, it looked a lot like this year at end of season .. we were terrified to pass.

grizband
January 4th, 2020, 04:28 PM

agreed .. unlike some other EWU receivers with big numbers in that offense and conference, his physical skills and receiver skills clearly translated to next level. Plus he had several very good years to Merediths one.

I was only saying, Meredith was also very skilled WR and did have one very good year .. just was a novice for the 1st of his 2 years at FCS level .. not to mention, we were pretty bad in pass game his first season at WR in 2013 .. by midseason, it looked a lot like this year at end of season .. we were terrified to pass.Cupp could make an argument as best FCS player of the past decade, regardless of position.

JSUSoutherner
January 4th, 2020, 04:46 PM
Cupp could make an argument as best FCS player of the past decade, regardless of position.

Nope there have been at least 37 bison players better than him.

PaladinFan
January 4th, 2020, 04:53 PM
Cupp could make an argument as best FCS player of the past decade, regardless of position.

Big physical toolsy WRs are tough to find in the FCS. There are plenty of good receivers, but not a ton of NFL-caliber guys floating around.

Kupp is one. Randy Moss. Brian Finneran. Guys that basically no team could do anything with.

Furman played a few guys over the last 20 years I think fall in that category. Marques Colston at Hofstra was a monster, but the Pride struggled to use him correctly. One of the best I saw as Terrel Hudgins at Elon. Hudgins might be the greatest receiver no one remembers because Elon really wasn't a nationally prominent program.

grizband
January 4th, 2020, 05:01 PM
Big physical toolsy WRs are tough to find in the FCS. There are plenty of good receivers, but not a ton of NFL-caliber guys floating around.

Kupp is one. Randy Moss. Brian Finneran. Guys that basically no team could do anything with.

Furman played a few guys over the last 20 years I think fall in that category. Marques Colston at Hofstra was a monster, but the Pride struggled to use him correctly. One of the best I saw as Terrel Hudgins at Elon. Hudgins might be the greatest receiver no one remembers because Elon really wasn't a nationally prominent program.

I definitely remember Hudgins! Other great FCS receivers include Ball and Roberts, but they played earlier.

POD Knows
January 4th, 2020, 06:06 PM
Nope there have been at least 37 bison players better than him.
The Bison are always outmanned by the superstars on the other teams they play. It is amazing beyond belief that they ever win a game. I know they were completely overmatched by the super awesome JSU squad in 2015. Man for man it wasn’t even close. How did JSU choke that game away.

Gil Dobie
January 4th, 2020, 06:06 PM

Got it

Yep, Briscoe would have had better stats in the MVFC.

Garoppolo?

PaladinFan
January 4th, 2020, 06:13 PM
I definitely remember Hudgins! Other great FCS receivers include Ball and Roberts, but they played earlier.

If a player played before NDSU arrived in the FCS, did they really exist?

neverobeyed
January 4th, 2020, 06:24 PM
Did you see the Peyton's Places episode about it? It's a good watch if you haven't seen it.

Have not, but will look for it. Thanks.

Reading Maxymuk's book "Pioneer Coaches of the NFL" - first coach profiled it Guy Chamberlin, Canton's coach in '22 and '23. Touches on the formation of the league a bit as Lambeau and Halas are also coaches profiled.

TheKingpin28
January 4th, 2020, 07:16 PM
The Bison are always outmanned by the superstars on the other teams they play. It is amazing beyond belief that they ever win a game. I know they were completely overmatched by the super awesome JSU squad in 2015. Man for man it wasn’t even close. How did JSU choke that game away.

By hitting up the buffet line at breakfast.

POD Knows
January 4th, 2020, 07:23 PM
By hitting up the buffet line at breakfast.
Yea. Their O and D line made multiple passes through it on a daily basis for the entire football season. That team was fat and slow but full of superstars.

TheKingpin28
January 4th, 2020, 09:48 PM
Yea. Their O and D line made multiple passes through it on a daily basis for the entire football season. That team was fat and slow but full of superstars.

Those SEC dropouts really panned out quite well.

dewey
January 4th, 2020, 10:32 PM

Got it

No I think it is pretty telling that his teams scored 10, 7 and 13 points in those games. Like you said he doesn't have anything to do with their crappy defenses.

Dewey

cx500d
January 5th, 2020, 02:10 PM
No I think it is pretty telling that his teams scored 10, 7 and 13 points in those games. Like you said he does have anything to do with their crappy defenses.

Dewey
****ty play by the offense doesn't exactly spur the defense on either.

dewey
January 5th, 2020, 09:13 PM
If I can't pick a NDSU quarterback for the all decade team I would happily take Bryan Schor from Jamse Madison.

Dude was a flat out winner.

Dewey