PDA

View Full Version : Pro FCS Prospects?

100%GRIZ
December 22nd, 2019, 08:23 PM
So what senior prospects on your team will make football their living in the near future? My obvious choice will be Dante Olson with Jerry Louis McGee a possibility. Why do I say Jerry just because of his ability to make tacklers miss on special teams. We will see & Hill does ok for KC and Danny Woodhead gave an opening for quick small players like Julian Edelman a chance.

Redbird 4th & short
December 22nd, 2019, 08:56 PM
ISUr RB James Robinson is projected to be drafted fairly early ... I'm not convinced his speed & quicks would be enough for next level, but if right team (i.e. OL) drafted him, he would probably do well enough. I'd like to know his true 10, 20, and 40. Draftscout has him as the 5th RB selected in draft. I thought Coprich had more running skills, but played 20 lbs lighter, so he was not drafted but got a couple looks. Robinson has very good power and is patient runner, with good speed and quicks for his size ... and he is just plain hard to tackle.

http://www.draftscout.com/players.php?GenPos=RB&DraftYear=2020&sortorder=TSXPos&order=ASC

Luthor Kirk, Safety is ranked as 19th Safety to be drafted. I think he dropped a bit from a year ago.

DFW HOYA
December 22nd, 2019, 09:05 PM
So what senior prospects on your team will make football their living in the near future?

None.

skinny_uncle
December 22nd, 2019, 10:49 PM
Jeremy Chinn has had the most chatter for the Salukis.

Herdistheword
December 22nd, 2019, 11:15 PM
Look for Derek Tuszka to get some looks for NDSU. His draft stock depends on his performance in the Shrine Bowl at this point.

JALMOND
December 22nd, 2019, 11:52 PM
From what we are hearing, unless there is a serious injury in the offseason, Portland State's Charlie Taumoepeau will be going somewhere in the NFL draft.

Wildcat1997
December 23rd, 2019, 01:19 AM
ACU LB Jeremiah Chambers will probably get looks. He's got decent size and athleticism and has stats to back it up. He'll probably wind up as an UDFA with someone.

Mocs123
December 23rd, 2019, 07:53 AM
Chattanooga QB Nick Tiano will get some looks and will probably make an NFL camp.

GreatGreatGreat
December 23rd, 2019, 08:46 AM
Weber’s DE Jonah Williams has had NFL scouts at several games this season.

PurpleStreamers
December 23rd, 2019, 09:35 AM
Ron'dell Carter (DE/DT) and Rashad Robinson (CB) seem most likely to be drafted for the Dukes. Would think John Daka (DE) will certainly be at least UFA. After that, probably Dmitri Holloway (LB) and Ben DiNucci (QB) get a chance in rookie camps somewhere. Could be chances for both Stapletons (WR/TE and both could end up at TE ala former Duke, current Jet Daniel Brown) and more long-shot Mac Patrick (C) and Brandon Polk (WR). It's crazy, but that's more than half of JMU's seniors.

Gil Dobie
December 23rd, 2019, 09:41 AM
Jabril Cox doesn't get the stats. Watched a lot of plays run the opposite direction. He forced JMU to pass early in the Championship game a couple years ago, to save the game as a Red shirt Freshman. Could he go pro as a Junior? He is going to be a key to the game in Frisco.

Professor Chaos
December 23rd, 2019, 09:46 AM
Check this out for a good and recently updated top 100 list (that includes draft round/PFA projections) from a guy that knows his FCS/D2/D3/NAIA NFL prospects probably better than anyone: http://www.draftscout.com/top100ss.php?DraftYear=2020

Daytripper
December 23rd, 2019, 09:49 AM
WR Nathan Stewart might get a look as an undrafted free agent. I think the one most likely to get drafted in the late rounds or make an NFL practice squad roster is TE Woody Brandom (6'5" 260 lbs).

POD Knows
December 23rd, 2019, 09:51 AM
Look for Derek Tuszka to get some looks for NDSU. His draft stock depends on his performance in the Shrine Bowl at this point.Not a lot of Seniors on this year's Bison team, maybe Zach Johnson OG gets some looks, Ben Ellefson TE possibly.

Silenoz
December 23rd, 2019, 09:57 AM
Check this out for a good and recently updated top 100 list (that includes draft round/PFA projections) from a guy that knows his FCS/D2/D3/NAIA NFL prospects probably better than anyone: http://www.draftscout.com/top100ss.php?DraftYear=2020
Hmm, interesting. I would have thought Mitch Brott would be a prospect, but I'd also never pretend to know anything about scouting an offensive lineman's pro potential.

skinny_uncle
December 23rd, 2019, 10:24 AM

Good info.

BEAR
December 23rd, 2019, 10:46 AM
UCA OL Hunter Watts 6’8” 320. Good size and ability. Scouts have come to see him specifically. Late rounds.
UCA RB Carlos Blackman 6’1” 228. Great size and strength. Oline had trouble blocking for him so he wasn’t able to display his talents. But scouts are looking at him. Late rounds or f.a.

Panther88
December 23rd, 2019, 10:57 AM
Prairie View A&M University has not one that I will speak on, like fall 2018 when I spoke of that one but was shot down by the "local fcs nfl recruiting expert." xlolx :D

How prophetic that one I warned of was taken in round #7 as I predicted. Egg... meet face. :-O

Professor Chaos
December 23rd, 2019, 10:58 AM
Not a lot of Seniors on this year's Bison team, maybe Zach Johnson OG gets some looks, Ben Ellefson TE possibly.
Here's DraftScout.com's capsule on NDSU: http://www.draftscout.com/college.php?DSTeamId=317.0&DraftYear=2020&sortorder=TSXPos&order=ASC

Based on their ranks it's Johnson that has the best shot at being drafted and Ellefson, Hendricks, and Tuszka should all get at least a minicamp invite I'd think.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 23rd, 2019, 12:22 PM
Since this is Draft talk it goes over in the "INs & Outs" forum so anybody bringing up NFL Draft stuff please start the threads over on the board.

smallcollegefbfan
December 27th, 2019, 10:42 PM
Look for Derek Tuszka to get some looks for NDSU. His draft stock depends on his performance in the Shrine Bowl at this point.

Most likely PFA as long as he tests well. I thought he was much better than Sterk when I watched the semis.

smallcollegefbfan
December 27th, 2019, 10:45 PM
Hmm, interesting. I would have thought Mitch Brott would be a prospect, but I'd also never pretend to know anything about scouting an offensive lineman's pro potential.

Brott is a prospect for sure. Probably a FA or tryout.

smallcollegefbfan
December 27th, 2019, 10:48 PM
Prairie View A&M University has not one that I will speak on, like fall 2018 when I spoke of that one but was shot down by the "local fcs nfl recruiting expert." xlolx :D

How prophetic that one I warned of was taken in round #7 as I predicted. Egg... meet face. :-O

You were indeed right that he got drafted. I was not for sure he would be until about 2 weeks prior to the draft but I never agreed with it. He was cut by the Raiders. So for those who thought he was nowhere near draftable are they right since he clearly was not or should they be told they are wrong? Or should Raiders be wrong for taking him?

smallcollegefbfan
December 27th, 2019, 10:49 PM
UCA OL Hunter Watts 6’8” 320. Good size and ability. Scouts have come to see him specifically. Late rounds.
UCA RB Carlos Blackman 6’1” 228. Great size and strength. Oline had trouble blocking for him so he wasn’t able to display his talents. But scouts are looking at him. Late rounds or f.a.

I need to see Watts again because I thought he was just a camp body with a shot at practice squad and would be a PFA or Tryout. I have Blackman as a free agent or tryout. Both need to test well.

Bisonoline
December 27th, 2019, 11:12 PM
You were indeed right that he got drafted. I was not for sure he would be until about 2 weeks prior to the draft but I never agreed with it. He was cut by the Raiders. So for those who thought he was nowhere near draftable are they right since he clearly was not or should they be told they are wrong? Or should Raiders be wrong for taking him?

Was that the one who gave up on Hard Knocks?

grizband
January 16th, 2020, 02:30 AM
Following his senior season, which ended with a quarterfinal playoff game, and Buchanan award, what's you're assessment of Dante Olson's draft prospects? Thanks for the information you always provide, SCFBF.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bonarae
February 8th, 2020, 05:20 PM
Only a dozen (exactly) players are in the NFL Combine for 2020.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20200207155235439152104

FCS Players Invited to 2020 NFL Scouting Combine
Quarterback: Kevin Davidson, Princeton
Running back: James Robinson, Illinois State
Wide receiver: Isaiah Coulter, Rhode Island; Aaron Parker, Rhode Island
Tight end: Charlie Taumoepeau, Portland State; Adam Trautman, Dayton
Offensive guard: Kyle Murphy, Rhode Island
Offensive tackle: Alex Taylor, South Carolina State
Defensive end: Derrek Tuszka, North Dakota State
Linebacker: Dante Olson, Montana
Safety: Jeremy Chinn, Southern Illinois
Punter: Alex Pechin, Bucknell

cx500d
February 9th, 2020, 10:16 PM
Based on this, Rhode island has the best players.

FormerPokeCenter
February 9th, 2020, 10:37 PM
And Dayton is on equal footing with NDSU...

Herdistheword
February 28th, 2020, 11:27 PM
James Robinson testing well. Per NFL.com, he is top 5 in every category, but the 40 yard dash. He posted a 4.64 there, so it isn’t a deal breaker at the RB position. His other drills demonstrate good strength, explosiveness, and agility. He is going to have a good SPARQ score at the end of the day.

caribbeanhen
February 29th, 2020, 06:26 AM
Following his senior season, which ended with a quarterfinal playoff game, and Buchanan award, what's you're assessment of Dante Olson's draft prospects? Thanks for the information you always provide, SCFBF.

NFL player

bonarae
March 14th, 2020, 06:22 PM
Meanwhile... another piece based on the individual Pro Days completed before suspension of practically everything...

https://thetouchdown.co.uk/small-school-pro-day-standouts/

bonarae
March 19th, 2020, 09:01 AM
However, will this be the year that the lowest number of FCS and D-II/D-III prospects drafted ever?

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20200316125646097090004&ref=rec&tm=&src=FCS

bonarae
April 10th, 2020, 06:59 AM
Different FCS prospects, different draft grades.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20200409142831238686504

smallcollegefbfan
April 10th, 2020, 03:07 PM
Jeremy Chinn has had the most chatter for the Salukis.

From FCS I expect Chinn to be first with either the URI WR Coulter or Dayton TE Trautman to be next off the board.

smallcollegefbfan
April 10th, 2020, 03:12 PM
However, will this be the year that the lowest number of FCS and D-II/D-III prospects drafted ever?

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20200316125646097090004&ref=rec&tm=&src=FCS

It could happen. However, there were a few really good pro days from FCS players prior to the stoppage of them. JSU WR Pearson is one who could have gotten himself drafted just before the shutdown. I had a PFA grade on him but he is one of those who could sneak into 7th or 6th because of the very impressive workout. It would not shock me if someone took him in round 5.

smallcollegefbfan
April 10th, 2020, 03:23 PM

Actually, PVAMU has a player who has some buzz but I'm not as big of a fan. QB Jalen Morton. I don't think he gets drafted but I know several people have him as a PFA or 7th round grade so I expect him to get a shot. He is a practice squad player to me with tools who needs a couple years to develop. He was just not accurate enough or had the passing skills that I would draft. He is a big guy with athletic ability though so you want to bring him in and see what he can do. I wonder if he could change positions.

As for Quinton Bell he was drafted in the 7th round but he was cut pretty early in camp by the Raiders and picked up by Bucs. Mayock realized he made a mistake. Ideally, Bell should have been a free agent who was signed to the practice squad a couple years to develop. I know you had some intel but when you get drafted and are cut by that team and on another team's practice squad before week 2 you pretty much showed that you are a free agent talent.

Bell is not the only one like this. There are always a few guys who get drafted but are cut very quickly and prove they should not have been picked.

smallcollegefbfan
April 10th, 2020, 03:25 PM

Watts had an awful pro day. I don't see him being a PFA right now. He is big, stiff, and slow.

smallcollegefbfan
April 10th, 2020, 03:27 PM

I have not been on here in a long time. I apologize. Olson should get drafted in 5-7 range but if he does not he will get signed quickly and at least make a practice squad. He does not have the best movement skills and is not quick twitch or super athletic but he is a steady, smart, tackling machine. He does miss here and there but is very active and I think he will end up on a NFL roster.

smallcollegefbfan
April 10th, 2020, 03:29 PM
Only a dozen (exactly) players are in the NFL Combine for 2020.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20200207155235439152104

FCS Players Invited to 2020 NFL Scouting Combine
Quarterback: Kevin Davidson, Princeton
Running back: James Robinson, Illinois State
Wide receiver: Isaiah Coulter, Rhode Island; Aaron Parker, Rhode Island
Tight end: Charlie Taumoepeau, Portland State; Adam Trautman, Dayton
Offensive guard: Kyle Murphy, Rhode Island
Offensive tackle: Alex Taylor, South Carolina State
Defensive end: Derrek Tuszka, North Dakota State
Linebacker: Dante Olson, Montana
Safety: Jeremy Chinn, Southern Illinois
Punter: Alex Pechin, Bucknell

Of those names I would draft them all except the Princeton QB but I think 3-4 of them won't get picked. Alex Taylor is a 7th round or PFA to me because he is just a long, stiff guy who did not play with technique and I felt Tuszka was not consistent enough at times. I remember one game he did nothing but had two sacks on the last drive so in the stat sheet he looked dominant but if you turn the tape off with 2 min to ago you would not see anything. I'll guarantee both TEs get drafted. I think both of them are gone before the end of round 5.

BEAR
August 30th, 2020, 08:44 PM
Watts had an awful pro day. I don't see him being a PFA right now. He is big, stiff, and slow.

😂😆😂 Wonder where the big stiff and slow online guy ended up....

smallcollegefbfan
September 3rd, 2020, 10:20 AM
 Wonder where the big stiff and slow online guy ended up....

I know he signed with Denver but I fully expected he would either sign with a team or get a tryout because of his size (6'8, 307) and length (35 arm, 84 1/2 wing). I graded him as a low FA because if he were not a big guy I don't think he would have even gotten looks. To me, he was a good college player with limited athletic ability and did a lot of waist bending because he is stiff. Any OT who has his size should at least make the practice squad so I would not be shocked at that but if he does not then that will tell you he was probably as bad or worse than my impression of him in the games I saw. I say that because NFL teams are always hesitant to cut a 6'8 300+ pound guy if they can move at all and have functional strength.