PDA

View Full Version : National Championship: James Madison vs North Dakota State (part deux)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Professor Chaos
December 22nd, 2019, 12:05 PM
I don't think it's being overly dramatic to say that these two teams have been on a collision course since fall camp opened. With a combined 29-0 vs FCS opponents these are the two heavyweights in the FCS this year.

The stats breakdown has a remarkable amount of small numbers in the rank columns which explains the gaudy records of these two:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49259963307_c30d042681_o.jpg

Neither team has a glaring weakness and both teams can win games a number of different ways so it should be an entertaining matchup which is something we haven't gotten a lot of in this year's playoffs.

It'll be interesting to see what the viewership numbers are with the game moving to ABC. When NDSU and JMU played 2 years ago it was the most watched championship game that NDSU has played in.

Both Massey and Sagarin favor NDSU by about a field goal on a neutral field (although Sagarin hasn't been updated with yesterday's games yet).

We've only got 20 more days to discuss and debate so might as well get started!

https://media.giphy.com/media/oS8pRFxbD0d44/giphy.gif

Professor Chaos
December 22nd, 2019, 12:11 PM
A couple individual matchups I'm really looking forward two are JMU's AA tandem of DEs going against NDSU's brick wall OTs. RonDell Carter and John Daka have combined for a whopping 28 sacks and 52 (!) TFLs on the year. NDSU starting OTs Dillon Radunz and Cordell Volson have allowed a total of 1.5 sacks between them on the year (I think).

As a collective matchup the one I'm looking forward to the most is the Dukes rush defense, who have been the most efficient unit in stopping the run in the country, against the NDSU rush offense, which has been the most efficient unit running the ball in the country this season. It's an unstoppable force vs an immovable object.

That's just a couple of the many excellent matchups to watch for between these teams

POD Knows
December 22nd, 2019, 12:20 PM
A couple individual matchups I'm really looking forward two are JMU's AA tandem of DEs going against NDSU's brick wall OTs. RonDell Carter and John Daka have combined for a whopping 28 sacks and 52 (!) TFLs on the year. NDSU starting OTs Dillon Radunz and Cordell Volson have allowed a total of 1.5 sacks between them on the year (I think).

As a collective matchup the one I'm looking forward to the most is the Dukes rush defense, who have been the most efficient unit in stopping the run in the country, against the NDSU rush offense, which has been the most efficient unit running the ball in the country this season. It's an unstoppable force vs an immovable object.

That's just a couple of the many excellent matchups to watch for between these teamsWhere does this Bison run D rank against the other Bison D's during the run. Ranked 30th in the country, say it ain't so Joe, say it ain't so.

GreatGreatGreat
December 22nd, 2019, 12:26 PM
JMU’s X factor is their 6’6” behemoth WR that never graduates but I think NDSU will win again. Go purple though!

Professor Chaos
December 22nd, 2019, 12:32 PM
Where does this Bison run D rank against the other Bison D's during the run. Ranked 30th in the country, say it ain't so Joe, say it ain't so.
Allowing 135.6 rush yards per game and 3.79 yards per carry is the worst full season numbers they've had against the rush since the title run began. That said their 269.9 total yards allowed per game and 11.8 points allowed per hame is better than every year of the run outside of 2012, 2013, and 2017. I think they've almost been inviting teams to run the ball by refusing to come out of their cover 2 shell and they've banked on the fact that teams are eventually going to stall if they can't throw the ball or bust a big run.

Schism55
December 22nd, 2019, 01:01 PM
No electric boogaloo in thread title? I am disappoint xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 22nd, 2019, 01:05 PM
For the Bison: let Trey Lance run all game long. Designed runs and let it rip running if no one is open. Plus it looks like JMU is susceptible against the pass. Might have to pass the ball to open up the run game.

This one should be a great game.

semobison
December 22nd, 2019, 01:10 PM
There are two numbers that makes me nervous. 61.1 and 2.2. Those are yards JMU gives up rushing per game and yards per carry against their defense. Going to be a challage for the Bison O-line. This game will be won in the trenches.

katss07
December 22nd, 2019, 01:11 PM
Congratulations to JMU on being the best FCS team. Good luck in the Bison bowl!

Professor Chaos
December 22nd, 2019, 01:12 PM
The Bison are also looking to become the first college football team since 1899 to win 16 games in a single season.

TheKingpin28
December 22nd, 2019, 01:15 PM
If NDSU can limit the homerun plays, they will be in good hands. Give up one or two of them, and it wont bode well for them.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Christiank22
December 22nd, 2019, 01:15 PM

Are you trying to say NDSU is an FBS team or..?

BisonBacker
December 22nd, 2019, 01:37 PM
Are you trying to say NDSU is an FBS team or..?
I saw that too and think that's what he's alluding to.

Redbird 4th & short
December 22nd, 2019, 02:05 PM
Allowing 135.6 rush yards per game and 3.79 yards per carry is the worst full season numbers they've had against the rush since the title run began. That said their 269.9 total yards allowed per game and 11.8 points allowed per hame is better than every year of the run outside of 2012, 2013, and 2017. I think they've almost been inviting teams to run the ball by refusing to come out of their cover 2 shell and they've banked on the fact that teams are eventually going to stall if they can't throw the ball or bust a big run.
it's not a bad strategy .. bit of bend don't break approach. That and your back 7 plays pretty fast overall, more conduscive to pass defense than run defense .. so your opponents probably relied more on run knowing your pass defense was so good. Then there is whole time of possession challenge knowing your offense will grind out long drives.

But same strategy could hurt you in field position game against a team like JMU.

Herdistheword
December 22nd, 2019, 02:26 PM
While the NDSU rush defense is not as good as years past statistically speaking, I think this team has more “big play” potential than any of the past championship teams. Talent-wise this team has the capability to overcome a deficit much better than past Bison teams. However, those past teams had a lot more experience as does this JMU team, and I think that counts for something. As stated previously, the matchup in the trenches should be fun to watch.

BisonFan02
December 22nd, 2019, 02:40 PM

This is an odd one......

JMU has the larger stadium....larger budget....and has favorable geography. Who exactly is the one ducking moving up to FBS again? xlolx

caribbeanhen
December 22nd, 2019, 03:38 PM
We finally have the 22 Washington General’s out of the way

playoffs have been a snoozer, not to many close games

early line prediction: Bison minus 3 but only because of the home field

I say game is a toss up

jmu007
December 22nd, 2019, 03:48 PM
After reviewing this year’s stadium policy I think a better poll would be who screams the loudest... JMU fans about streamers being prohibited or NDSU fans about the tailgate lot opening only 2 hours before kickoff (and they explicitly say no lining up early this year).

semobison
December 22nd, 2019, 03:59 PM
This is an odd one......

JMU has the larger stadium....larger budget....and has favorable geography. Who exactly is the one ducking moving up to FBS again? xlolx

Not to mention their half dozen or so FBS transfers!

Professor Chaos
December 22nd, 2019, 04:02 PM
While the NDSU rush defense is not as good as years past statistically speaking, I think this team has more “big play” potential than any of the past championship teams. Talent-wise this team has the capability to overcome a deficit much better than past Bison teams. However, those past teams had a lot more experience as does this JMU team, and I think that counts for something. As stated previously, the matchup in the trenches should be fun to watch.
Yeah, this is the most diverse and explosive offense the Bison have ever had.... which is amazing considering how many new guys are on that side of the ball this year.

On defense they're missing the difference makers at DT and MLB that they've had in the past but those guys have still been solid just not spectacular.

Professor Chaos
December 22nd, 2019, 04:06 PM
After reviewing this year’s stadium policy I think a better poll would be who screams the loudest... JMU fans about streamers being prohibited or NDSU fans about the tailgate lot opening only 2 hours before kickoff (and they explicitly say no lining up early this year).
They've said no lining up every single year... the lots only opening at 9am was news to me but I doubt that is enforced because they're going to have a traffic nightmare if they don't let people in earlier than that.

Bisonoline
December 22nd, 2019, 04:30 PM
They've said no lining up every single year... the lots only opening at 9am was news to me but I doubt that is enforced because they're going to have a traffic nightmare if they don't let people in earlier than that.

By 9am we are about ready to tear down and head to the stadium for a 11am kickoff.

NDB
December 22nd, 2019, 04:39 PM
Someone just needs to let the NCAA know that they could make another million dollars by selling tailgating spots for $100 a pop.

jmu007
December 22nd, 2019, 04:50 PM

I don't recall what it said back in 2016 and 2017, but I agree, that has the potential to get pretty ridiculous if they actually try to enforce it.

cx500d
December 22nd, 2019, 04:50 PM
We finally have the 22 Washington General’s out of the way

playoffs have been a snoozer, not to many close games

early line prediction: Bison minus 3 but only because of the home field

I say game is a toss up

Any game a mvfc team in was close except the last snoozer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swaghook
December 22nd, 2019, 06:20 PM
Did you not read correctly? The parking lots open by 6am. The stadium opens at 9am.
https://www.ncaa.com/championships/football/fcs/event-schedule

SUPharmacist
December 22nd, 2019, 07:56 PM
Can't wait for this game. Two hungry talented teams looking to prove they are just as good as past title teams. It should be a great game and super excited it is on ABC.

caribbeanhen
December 22nd, 2019, 08:08 PM
Any game a mvfc team in was close except the last snoozer

just because a few were close doesn't mean we weren't snoozing, that Northern Iowa South Dak St game is something the pharmaceuticals are trying to replicate in the lab....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

jmu007
December 22nd, 2019, 09:14 PM
Did you not read correctly? The parking lots open by 6am. The stadium opens at 9am.
https://www.ncaa.com/championships/football/fcs/event-schedule

I read it just fine. Appears the NCAA can't even coordinate between the pages of their own event's site.

https://www.ncaa.com/championships/football/fcs/venue-info

So which one is legit?

Redbird 4th & short
December 22nd, 2019, 09:15 PM
just because a few were close doesn't mean we weren't snoozing, that Northern Iowa South Dak St game is something the pharmaceuticals are trying to replicate in the lab....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
I suppose you would have to be able to recopgnize and appreciate real defenses to appreciate that ISUr and UNI still made quarters despite injuries (mostly season ending) to half their offensive starters.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 22nd, 2019, 10:36 PM
I will be back in North Dakota (Grand Forks/Fargo) for this game (1/8 until 1/15)! Can't wait to find a good Bison bar to watch it!

With that said, I took JMU from the start and will continue to ride that hunch. These are two of the 40/50 best teams in all of Division 1 imo. The quality of this game should exceed the vast majority of the bowls.

caribbeanhen
December 23rd, 2019, 03:42 AM
I will be back in North Dakota (Grand Forks/Fargo) for this game (1/8 until 1/15)! Can't wait to find a good Bison bar to watch it!

With that said, I took JMU from the start and will continue to ride that hunch. These are two of the 40/50 best teams in all of Division 1 imo. The quality of this game should exceed the vast majority of the bowls.

40/50?

i would say 20/30

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 23rd, 2019, 07:13 AM
40/50?

i would say 20/30

Top 20 might be pushing it while Top 50 is probably too conservative. I'll go with Top 30/40. Either way, probably the two best teams to play in the title game since Marshall vs Montana in 1996?

Mfergy4
December 23rd, 2019, 08:49 AM
Gonna be flying home with the family from Hawaii during game...looking forward to actually watching the game via AGS for the first time and not sitting in the stands. I think it is going to be a good game. Although I have to question for of the validity of the stats mentioned given the quality of football between CAA and MVFC. Still JMU acquitted it self well in the plays offs while NDSU's youth came out. Going to enjoy the discussion leading up to the game. Let the Hash fly!!

Professor Chaos
December 23rd, 2019, 09:25 AM
Massey has NDSU at #29 and JMU at #38. So a combined ranking of 67 is better than 25 of the 39 FBS bowl game matchups according to Massey.

skinny_uncle
December 23rd, 2019, 10:31 AM

That might say more about the quality of running backs in the Valley than the Bison D.

Professor Chaos
December 23rd, 2019, 10:33 AM
That might say more about the quality of running backs in the Valley than the Bison D.
That's true. NDSU's elite pass defense numbers also might say something about the quality of QBs in the MVFC this year. xlolx

Redbird 4th & short
December 23rd, 2019, 10:49 AM
That's true. NDSU's elite pass defense numbers also might say something about the quality of QBs in the MVFC this year. xlolx

Joke aside.. this is a down year for QBs in the MVFC. Lot of FR playing this year. On the flipside it is a strong running game year and even notably stronger defensive year. But offense overall is probably a down year for MVFC.

TheKingpin28
December 23rd, 2019, 11:14 AM
Gonna be flying home with the family from Hawaii during game...looking forward to actually watching the game via AGS for the first time and not sitting in the stands. I think it is going to be a good game. Although I have to question for of the validity of the stats mentioned given the quality of football between CAA and MVFC. Still JMU acquitted it self well in the plays offs while NDSU's youth came out. Going to enjoy the discussion leading up to the game. Let the Hash fly!!Do they not offer live tv on the flight? Some do and so ABC should be offered.

DUKESALLDAY
December 23rd, 2019, 12:00 PM
Can’t wait for this game, been hoping this match up would happen all year. I think I’m most excited for JMU run offense vs NDSU run defense. With Palmer back we have 4 backs that average over 4 yards a carry. If we can prevent giving up big plays I like our odds. I think if it’s a shootout NDSU wins, if it’s fought in the Trenches, low scoring and more running, JMU has a bit of an edge.

Bisonoline
December 23rd, 2019, 12:13 PM
I read it just fine. Appears the NCAA can't even coordinate between the pages of their own event's site.

https://www.ncaa.com/championships/football/fcs/venue-info

So which one is legit?

My bet is they open before 6am.

Chalupa Batman
December 23rd, 2019, 12:49 PM

That's just a couple of the many excellent matchups to watch for between these teams

I've been looking forward to the matchup of Carter/Daka vs. Radunz/Volson for a few weeks now. Should be a fun one to watch.

Another thing I'll be paying attention to is 3rd downs. Both teams give up less than 33% defensively and convert over 50% offensively. Either team getting an edge in that department will be a big factor as well.

Mfergy4
December 23rd, 2019, 01:13 PM
Do they not offer live tv on the flight? Some do and so ABC should be offered.

God forbid I have to listen to some idiot third string announcer who knows nothing of either team, nor FCS football, and pronouncing the Bison as Bizon.....xrolleyesxxrolleyesx

Professor Chaos
December 23rd, 2019, 01:37 PM
Another bit of food for thought that may play to NDSU's advantage or may end up meaning nothing is that, while this is JMU's 3rd title game in the last 4 years, it is their coaching staff's first time since they had a complete turnover on the coaching staff from 2018 whereas NDSU was able to retain 6 coaches (including Matt Entz) from Klieman's 2018 staff.

That 3 week layoff can be tricky to navigate with the holidays and the fact that the team travels to Frisco 3 days early and has plenty of events to partake in while they're there. I wouldn't doubt if the phone lines are open between Cignetti and Houston in that regard and maybe Cignetti has a plan that'll work well even without that (he was on Saban's staff at Bama so I'm sure he dealt with bowl layoff then) but you never know that first time. Even Entz might have a few new things to deal with and decisions to make as a head coach that he never even thought about as the DC.

mcveyrl
December 23rd, 2019, 01:46 PM
Another bit of food for thought that may play to NDSU's advantage or may end up meaning nothing is that, while this is JMU's 3rd title game in the last 4 years, it is their coaching staff's first time since they had a complete turnover on the coaching staff from 2018 whereas NDSU was able to retain 6 coaches (including Matt Entz) from Klieman's 2018 staff.

That 3 week layoff can be tricky to navigate with the holidays and the fact that the team travels to Frisco 3 days early and has plenty of events to partake in while they're there. I wouldn't doubt if the phone lines are open between Cignetti and Houston in that regard and maybe Cignetti has a plan that'll work well even without that (he was on Saban's staff at Bama so I'm sure he dealt with bowl layoff then) but you never know that first time. Even Entz might have a few new things to deal with and decisions to make as a head coach that he never even thought about as the DC.

Not sure that will be much of a factor. As you mentioned, Cignetti has experience dealing with layoff - especially in '09 when 'Bama went to the BCS championship game. And I would guess he'll have Saban and Houston's ear to lean on. I think it helps that a lot of JMU's team was around in '16 and '17 and dealt with the schedule then. And obviously NDSU's group is used to that too.

uni88
December 23rd, 2019, 01:48 PM
Not sure that will be much of a factor. As you mentioned, Cignetti has experience dealing with layoff - especially in '09 when 'Bama went to the BCS championship game. And I would guess he'll have Saban and Houston's ear to lean on. I think it helps that a lot of JMU's team was around in '16 and '17 and dealt with the schedule then. And obviously NDSU's group is used to that too.

Plus Cignetti is an experienced head coach with a very experienced team while Entz is a first year head coach with a very young team.

There are a lot of interesting dynamics at play in this matchup, it's hard to tell which ones will have an impact.

PurpleStreamers
December 23rd, 2019, 01:57 PM

Yeah, you just never know on this and glad you mentioned Cignetti's time at Bama. He's also seemed like he has a really good plan for all of the "extra" stuff and the way he handles scheduling since the minute he got to JMU. Obviously no one has the experience that NDSU does, but even outside of the football part, it really is incredible how much experience with the whole playoff structure helps dial in everything. I've noticed a whole bunch of things running smoother throughout the playoffs as JMU has gotten more used to this - ticketing, parking, press availability after the semester is over, etc. and of course fans learning to pre-purchase tickets/hotels in August. I think until this year I underestimated what an advantage that has become for NDSU over this run as they know every in and out of the process. Even little things like being sure the indoor practice facility doesn't have things planned for other programs' workouts or knowing how to distribute our security contractors when there is a playoff game the same night as grad-school graduation or having the local restaurant where our weekly fan/press event takes place reserved all the way through to January for Monday lunches. Four years ago a lot of that felt like a scramble. Now it's all set up to make it easier for a Head Coach to just focus on football without ever even thinking about other crap. And that's before even the work our Dallas Alumni chapter and the school do setting everything up down in Texas.

caribbeanhen
December 23rd, 2019, 02:34 PM
I suppose you would have to be able to recopgnize and appreciate real defenses to appreciate that ISUr and UNI still made quarters despite injuries (mostly season ending) to half their offensive starters.

You might not remember But I posted a few thoughts on Illi State mid season.... dominant Defense and a stud RB.... Watched a quarter or so....

the QB injury for you guys might of been a blessing in disguise

Professor Chaos
December 23rd, 2019, 02:39 PM
JMU opens as a 2 point favorite according to the Vegas Insider consensus: https://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/line-movement/[email protected]/date/01-11-20#BT

Mfergy4
December 23rd, 2019, 02:40 PM
any one heard heard where the Officiating crew will be from? Pray it is not the crew that did the NDSU/Nicholls game.

caribbeanhen
December 23rd, 2019, 02:46 PM
any one heard heard where the Officiating crew will be from? Pray it is not the crew that did the NDSU/Nicholls game.

oh man, don't remind me..... hopefully they don't turn the game into a flag farce.... just horrible

awBison
December 23rd, 2019, 03:22 PM
Ndsu is in total control of this game by halftime. I really dont see JMU getting close.

mcveyrl
December 23rd, 2019, 03:28 PM
JMU opens as a 2 point favorite according to the Vegas Insider consensus: https://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/line-movement/[email protected]/date/01-11-20#BT

That surprises me a little bit. It's sort of your classic "tossup" and I'd give NDSU the advantage for familiarity with the field and - more than likely - more fans there. But I do think Vegas likes Cignetti's coaching roots...

mcveyrl
December 23rd, 2019, 03:34 PM
Ndsu is in total control of this game by halftime. I really dont see JMU getting close.

Looking back at your posts from '16 and '17 when we played each other, and I'm shocked by this prediction. Shocked.

Lorne_Malvo
December 23rd, 2019, 03:41 PM
Plus Cignetti is an experienced head coach with a very experienced team while Entz is a first year head coach with a very young team.

Entz and Klieman talk every Tuesday morning without exception. Entz will be fine.

Professor Chaos
December 23rd, 2019, 03:45 PM
That surprises me a little bit. It's sort of your classic "tossup" and I'd give NDSU the advantage for familiarity with the field and - more than likely - more fans there. But I do think Vegas likes Cignetti's coaching roots...
Surprised me also. I was expecting NDSU to open as about 3 point favorites in line with what Massey and Sagarin had.

I'm pretty sure NDSU was favored in the natty two years ago against JMU so I believe this is the first time since the 2010 or 2011 seasons that the Bison have been an underdog against an FCS opponent. Maybe the 2015 natty against Jacksonville St they were an underdog??? I don't really remember either way on that one.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 23rd, 2019, 03:46 PM

JMU was actually the betting favorite heading into the season. Part of that was typical vegas nonsense trying to generate bets outside of NDSU and some of that was legitimately justified....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 23rd, 2019, 03:47 PM

That crew should be relegated to 8 man football in Idaho! They had zero business officiating a NCAA Playoff game....

Professor Chaos
December 23rd, 2019, 03:55 PM
NDSU opens as a 1.5 point favorite on 5dimes... literally as close to a pick 'em as you can get. O/U of 55.5 so they're expecting a fairly low scoring game where neither team gets to 30.

ming01
December 23rd, 2019, 04:36 PM
It does not surprise me. This game is a coin flip.

Mfergy4
December 23rd, 2019, 04:51 PM
NDSU as underdogs to JMU...wonder how that is going to play out on the locker room bulletin board....

Drblankstare
December 23rd, 2019, 05:34 PM
NDSU opens as a 1.5 point favorite on 5dimes... literally as close to a pick 'em as you can get. O/U of 55.5 so they're expecting a fairly low scoring game where neither team gets to 30.

With these defense’s I’d hammer that under. This has 20-17 vibe

awBison
December 23rd, 2019, 05:46 PM
Looking back at your posts from '16 and '17 when we played each other, and I'm shocked by this prediction. Shocked.
Historically speaking, its been a pretty good bet.

Chalupa Batman
December 23rd, 2019, 06:07 PM
Surprised me also. I was expecting NDSU to open as about 3 point favorites in line with what Massey and Sagarin had.

I'm pretty sure NDSU was favored in the natty two years ago against JMU so I believe this is the first time since the 2010 or 2011 seasons that the Bison have been an underdog against an FCS opponent. Maybe the 2015 natty against Jacksonville St they were an underdog??? I don't really remember either way on that one.

We were 4 point (I think, maybe 3.5) favorites against Jacksonville St. I was in Vegas that weekend and put down $200 on the Bison at Caesar's and the guy behind the counter said something to the effect of "Your one of the few people who's betting right on this game."

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 23rd, 2019, 06:18 PM
NDSU as underdogs to JMU...wonder how that is going to play out on the locker room bulletin board....

It wont. There is no locker room bulletin board material and there probably will not be any from either side.

Both of these teams are the best in the FCS right now and the game should be a very good one that comes down to the end.

Gil Dobie
December 23rd, 2019, 06:20 PM
My gut is saying it's going to be a blowout, one way or another, 20+ point difference. Have to wait until January to see which team is ready.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 23rd, 2019, 06:28 PM
My gut is saying it's going to be a blowout, one way or another, 20+ point difference. Have to wait until January to see which team is ready.

IMO, both will be ready.

I see this game as a defensive slugfest with field position being a key. Punters need to bring their A games and I hope Crosa can make a freaking FG....:(

These 2 have been on a collision course since the beginning of the year. It will be a great game.

caribbeanhen
December 23rd, 2019, 06:33 PM
what will be key is for Daka and Carter to get to Lance a few times and lay a few good hits on him, has Lance even been hit all year?

Let's see how he responds, on the other hand he is good enough to respond and then some.... kid is elusive

this is what I will be watching.... JMU needs to bottle him up

Bisonoline
December 23rd, 2019, 06:46 PM
what will be key is for Daka and Carter to get to Lance a few times and lay a few good hits on him, has Lance even been hit all year?

Let's see how he responds, on the other hand he is good enough to respond and then some.... kid is elusive

Look at his rushing stats.

jadmt
December 23rd, 2019, 06:59 PM
If I had an extra 20K to lay down I would be betting it all on NDSU.

caribbeanhen
December 23rd, 2019, 06:59 PM
Look at his rushing stats.

dont need too, I've seen him play enough

take a look at Daka and Carter

Bisonoline
December 23rd, 2019, 07:01 PM
dont need too, I've seen him play enough

take a look at Daka and Carter

Why? I wasnt questioning whether they have been hit or not.

caribbeanhen
December 23rd, 2019, 07:08 PM
Why? I wasnt questioning whether they have been hit or not.

I know that... those 2 do the hitting, it will just be a question if they are able to square Lance up a few times

Professor Chaos
December 23rd, 2019, 08:08 PM
I know that... those 2 do the hitting, it will just be a question if they are able to square Lance up a few times
Lance tends to do the hitting too when he's running. But he hasn't been hit by the pass rush much this year... only 12 sacks on him. That's partially because he's very good at avoiding the rush and he has some very good pass blocking OTs.

FWIW both Illinois St and Southern Illinois averaged more sacks per game this year than JMU did. NDSU allowed 5 sacks in 3 games against those teams.

Bisonator
December 23rd, 2019, 08:35 PM
Those 2 will be watching Lance and Watkins running to the endzone for 6.

gregatim
December 23rd, 2019, 09:44 PM
Those 2 will be watching Lance and Watkins running to the endzone for 6.

Who is this Watkins you speak off? We breaking in a new playmaker in the chipper?

Doooks
December 23rd, 2019, 09:46 PM
JMU by 18. NDSU is gonna get steamrolled or I'll drink every beer in my fridge. No really I will.

Chalupa Batman
December 23rd, 2019, 09:58 PM

I think I read or heard somewhere last year that Klieman pretty much gave Entz the reins as far as practice schedule, travel, and things like that since Entz was already named HC before the semifinal. Anyone else remember that or am I just making things up in my head?

It might have been someone speculating it that I remember instead.

Bisonoline
December 23rd, 2019, 10:01 PM
I think I read or heard somewhere last year that Klieman pretty much gave Entz the reins as far as practice schedule, travel, and things like that since Entz was already named HC before the semifinal. Anyone else remember that or am I just making things up in my head?

It might have been someone speculating it that I remember instead.

Never heard that.

Bison56
December 23rd, 2019, 10:56 PM
JMU by 18. NDSU is gonna get steamrolled or I'll drink every beer in my fridge. No really I will.

Doubt it's even that close, JMU is like an NFL team.

Chalupa Batman
December 23rd, 2019, 11:04 PM
Never heard that.

Figured I just heard it in my head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTrC3HbZIfA

Chalupa Batman
December 23rd, 2019, 11:18 PM

It's just not fair that LSU, Ohio State, and Clemson get to avoid JMU this year.

Herdistheword
December 24th, 2019, 07:26 AM
It's just not fair that LSU, Ohio State, and Clemson get to avoid JMU this year.

Can any of them even really call themselves national champions?

Doooks
December 24th, 2019, 08:06 AM

Glad we're on the same page. I thought I was the only one seeing it. It's like the 85 bears defense but in purple.

dewey
December 24th, 2019, 09:02 AM
IMO, both will be ready.

I see this game as a defensive slugfest with field position being a key. Punters need to bring their A games and I hope Crosa can make a freaking FG....:(

These 2 have been on a collision course since the beginning of the year. It will be a great game.

The punt returns by JMU last time nearly won the game for the Dukes. The NDSU special teams better make sure they are ready because they were outcoached in that aspect last time.

Dewey

PurpleStreamers
December 24th, 2019, 09:43 AM
The punt returns by JMU last time nearly won the game for the Dukes. The NDSU special teams better make sure they are ready because they were outcoached in that aspect last time.

Dewey

Still very capable - and basically all the same guys back PR Amos, P O'Kelly, K Ratke - but the Dukes haven't been quite as tight or dynamic on specials as they were in '17. Haven't needed to show as much this year and I'd expect some wrinkles vs. NDSU, but I'm not quite as confident JMU can rely on that kind of production again in that area.

Herdistheword
December 24th, 2019, 10:34 AM
Still very capable - and basically all the same guys back PR Amos, P O'Kelly, K Ratke - but the Dukes haven't been quite as tight or dynamic on specials as they were in '17. Haven't needed to show as much this year and I'd expect some wrinkles vs. NDSU, but I'm not quite as confident JMU can rely on that kind of production again in that area.

NDSU kicking game is a living nightmare....for NDSU fans.

Bison56
December 24th, 2019, 11:03 AM
Glad we're on the same page. I thought I was the only one seeing it. It's like the 85 bears defense but in purple.

Exactly

Redbird 4th & short
December 24th, 2019, 11:05 AM

Dewey
JMU always seems to have very good punt return numbers .. they know something about how to set up punt returns.

cx500d
December 24th, 2019, 11:32 AM
Homers are gonna homer

cx500d
December 24th, 2019, 11:35 AM

Easy on those O' Douls

Grizalltheway
December 24th, 2019, 11:48 AM
NDSU kicking game is a living nightmare....for NDSU fans.
You poor things.

TennBison
December 25th, 2019, 08:17 AM

Dewey
Jackson got hurt early in the game when JMU hit him late and drew that roughing the punter penalty. He was never the same for the whole game after that. His specialty was that he could punt super high and no one would be able to return the punts before the coverage would be on top of them, only 1 all year long had been returned up until the championship game. Jackson could not punt very high and was forced to punt lower to drive the ball down field and that gave JMU lots of space to make punt returns. Nothing to do with bad coaching, it was out of necessity to punt that way.

dewey
December 25th, 2019, 01:25 PM
Jackson got hurt early in the game when JMU hit him late and drew that roughing the punter penalty. He was never the same for the whole game after that. His specialty was that he could punt super high and no one would be able to return the punts before the coverage would be on top of them, only 1 all year long had been returned up until the championship game. Jackson could not punt very high and was forced to punt lower to drive the ball down field and that gave JMU lots of space to make punt returns. Nothing to do with bad coaching, it was out of necessity to punt that way.

The fake punt late in the game was all on the coaches. They should have known that was coming. Late 4th quarter and in that zone where a fake punt makes sense.

If Jackson Koonce was too injured to play they should have had Garret Wegner punt more. Or punt it out of bounds. Those punt returns kept JMU in the game.

Klieman and his staff botched that one.

Dewey

Mfergy4
December 26th, 2019, 08:38 AM

Yes, he has been hit in the backfield a couple of times...but has also laid wood on a few Linebackers and DBs when running...

Mfergy4
December 26th, 2019, 08:41 AM

xlolxxlolxxlolxxdrunkyx But I think you are incorrect....

ming01
December 26th, 2019, 11:12 AM
Line is now a pickem on 5Dimes.

Bisonoline
December 26th, 2019, 12:10 PM
The fake punt late in the game was all on the coaches. They should have known that was coming. Late 4th quarter and in that zone where a fake punt makes sense.

If Jackson Koonce was too injured to play they should have had Garret Wegner punt more. Or punt it out of bounds. Those punt returns kept JMU in the game.

Klieman and his staff botched that one.

Dewey

Yep
JMU had no reason TO punt. I couldnt believe the coaching staff couldnt see that.

Mfergy4
December 26th, 2019, 12:14 PM
Line is now a pickem on 5Dimes.

This is going to be a great game, just hope both teams leave everything on the field so neither can be ashamed of their play...when looking at each position neither team appears to have a decisive edge over the other. QB's are both very good, O-Lines tough and physical, RB's either team's can beat you bad, WR's both teams boast game breakers, D-Lines are both hard to move brick walls, LB's are excellent, and DB's are good. Special teams, I think JMU has the edge on the Field Goal Kickers, punting both are very good. It is going to come down to turn overs and neither teams like to give the ball away. ABC better have some quality announcers who do some deep homework. Officiating is what will doom both teams if it is as bad as some of the games have been called this play-off season.

The edge goes to the Fan base of NDSU though. They have been buying tickets for Frisco for a decade now...

PurpleStreamers
December 26th, 2019, 01:51 PM
This is going to be a great game, just hope both teams leave everything on the field so neither can be ashamed of their play...when looking at each position neither team appears to have a decisive edge over the other. QB's are both very good, O-Lines tough and physical, RB's either team's can beat you bad, WR's both teams boast game breakers, D-Lines are both hard to move brick walls, LB's are excellent, and DB's are good. Special teams, I think JMU has the edge on the Field Goal Kickers, punting both are very good. It is going to come down to turn overs and neither teams like to give the ball away. ABC better have some quality announcers who do some deep homework. Officiating is what will doom both teams if it is as bad as some of the games have been called this play-off season.

The edge goes to the Fan base of NDSU though. They have been buying tickets for Frisco for a decade now...

Should be a great one for all the reasons you mentioned. The only thing I'm really hoping for is that neither team is (legitimately) screwed by so much of the hideous FCS officiating we've all gotten used to. Obviously partisans on whatever side is losing will gripe, and not saying I'll be immune to it, but it would really suck to have these two teams work so hard and have so much on the line if the refs aren't up to the challenge. It seemed to me the officials throughout the playoffs this year have often been inexcusably surprised by the pure speed and intensity of these games - this was particularly noticeable in at least the NDSU/Nicholls game and the JMU/Monmouth games, but in the CAA it's felt like a weekly occurrence for years now.

dewey
December 26th, 2019, 02:43 PM
Yep
JMU had no reason TO punt. I couldnt believe the coaching staff couldnt see that.

It seemed very obvious to everyone except the coaching staff. The special teams that day almost cost them the title.

Dewey

caribbeanhen
December 26th, 2019, 03:38 PM

that so called roughing the kicker was a big break for the Bison, JMU had held you to a three and out and forced a punt on your first series

the JMU player never really hit your punter either, he dived under your punter ... punters leg clipped the JMU Player and down he went....

so you get a first and 10 and take it right down the field and score a TD...... oh, and the TD looked weird to as your RB basically rolled up the back of player for 2 yards and was stopped inches from the goal, they reviewed it but allowed the call on the field to stand, no big deal as you would of scored on next play

Chalupa Batman
December 26th, 2019, 05:41 PM
that so called roughing the kicker was a big break for the Bison, JMU had held you to a three and out and forced a punt on your first series

the JMU player never really hit your punter either, he dived under your punter ... punters leg clipped the JMU Player and down he went....

so you get a first and 10 and take it right down the field and score a TD...... oh, and the TD looked weird to as your RB basically rolled up the back of player for 2 yards and was stopped inches from the goal, they reviewed it but allowed the call on the field to stand, no big deal as you would of scored on next play

So called roughing the kicker? He took out the plant leg, which makes roughing automatic as you have to allow the punter to land.

You are right though, that was a big break that often gets forgotten about.

ming01
December 26th, 2019, 08:37 PM
Pretty amazing NDSU didnt score in the 2nd half and still won. I expect a few more scores in this one.

Mfergy4
December 27th, 2019, 07:55 AM
Should be a great one for all the reasons you mentioned. The only thing I'm really hoping for is that neither team is (legitimately) screwed by so much of the hideous FCS officiating we've all gotten used to. Obviously partisans on whatever side is losing will gripe, and not saying I'll be immune to it, but it would really suck to have these two teams work so hard and have so much on the line if the refs aren't up to the challenge. It seemed to me the officials throughout the playoffs this year have often been inexcusably surprised by the pure speed and intensity of these games - this was particularly noticeable in at least the NDSU/Nicholls game and the JMU/Monmouth games, but in the CAA it's felt like a weekly occurrence for years now.

I think all conferences have their bad crews, but to see them in Play-off situations is really unfair to the teams playing. Prime example was the Nicholls players being toss on a bogus targeting call by a South-land crew. Kids done for the season because some jerk in a booth somewhere made a bad call. You are correct on the speed of play, some conference officials are not used to other conferences speed of play or physicality and it causes issues for them.

Two things I wished for for Christmas...no injuries and good officiating for this game.

Professor Chaos
December 27th, 2019, 08:27 AM
I think all conferences have their bad crews, but to see them in Play-off situations is really unfair to the teams playing. Prime example was the Nicholls players being toss on a bogus targeting call by a South-land crew. Kids done for the season because some jerk in a booth somewhere made a bad call. You are correct on the speed of play, some conference officials are not used to other conferences speed of play or physicality and it causes issues for them.

Two things I wished for for Christmas...no injuries and good officiating for this game.
That was a SOCON crew in that Nicholls game. The sad truth is these crews doing playoff games were graded the highest among their peer crews in their conference in the regular season so they get the playoff assignments. I believe each conference sends two crews and once they get to the quarterfinal round and beyond they give assignments based on how each crew grades out in the playoffs so (hopefully) the crew that does the natty has been the best of the best in the playoffs so far.

POD Knows
December 27th, 2019, 08:45 AM
That was a SOCON crew in that Nicholls game. The sad truth is these crews doing playoff games were graded the highest among their peer crews in their conference in the regular season so they get the playoff assignments. I believe each conference sends two crews and once they get to the quarterfinal round and beyond they give assignments based on how each crew grades out in the playoffs so (hopefully) the crew that does the natty has been the best of the best in the playoffs so far.
The crew in the NDSU/MSU game did a pretty good job, they didn't call much which is good.

Redbird 4th & short
December 27th, 2019, 09:21 AM
For ISUr, our SEMO game with Colonial officials was bad, and we got short end several times .. it honestly seemed like they were trying to keep SEMO in the game.

UCA game seemed ok (I think we had Big Sky officials ??), and questionable calls were probably equal.

NDSU game had a few bad calls that went both ways, so call it even.

Professor Chaos
December 27th, 2019, 10:18 AM
The crew in the NDSU/MSU game did a pretty good job, they didn't call much which is good.
OVC crew in that one I believe. I think if a crew does one of the semis though it won't do the title game but I could be completely making that up. I can't recall any really bad officiating in all the title games that NDSU has played in... the worst officiated playoff games I can remember have all been early rounds of the playoffs.

Mfergy4
December 27th, 2019, 04:10 PM
OVC crew in that one I believe. I think if a crew does one of the semis though it won't do the title game but I could be completely making that up. I can't recall any really bad officiating in all the title games that NDSU has played in... the worst officiated playoff games I can remember have all been early rounds of the playoffs.

Thanks Chaos for the input...I too believe the Championship games has had the Best of the Best.

Professor Chaos
December 27th, 2019, 06:35 PM
I think 1 of the 2 units below that have been stellar statistically all year will be exposed in the natty.

Either JMU's offensive pass efficiency (3rd in the FCS at 172.75)
or NDSU's defensive pass efficiency (1st in the FCS at 102.22)

I think it's plausible that the numbers for both of those units have been propped by the fact that they haven't played many elite units on the other side of the ball this year. That won't be the case in Frisco so something has to give.

caribbeanhen
December 27th, 2019, 07:04 PM
So called roughing the kicker? He took out the plant leg, which makes roughing automatic as you have to allow the punter to land.

You are right though, that was a big break that often gets forgotten about.

right, he did not allow the punter to land because he dove under him to avoid hitting him and the punter made sure he crashed and burned by coming down on him, but that's fine... that is what he should do in that situation .... good with it.....

but still that Stapleton call where they ruled a fumble when his knee was firmly planted on the turf long enough to grow roots......

Redbird 4th & short
December 27th, 2019, 07:13 PM
I think 1 of the 2 units below that have been stellar statistically all year will be exposed in the natty.

Either JMU's offensive pass efficiency (3rd in the FCS at 172.75)
or NDSU's defensive pass efficiency (1st in the FCS at 102.22)

I think it's plausible that the numbers for both of those units have been propped by the fact that they haven't played many elite units on the other side of the ball this year. That won't be the case in Frisco so something has to give.
definitely a bit of question mark for NDSU pass defense. MVFC had a lot of RS FR newbies starting (NDSU, SDSU, UNI, ISUR after injury, YSU after injury) and injuries to starters (SDSU, ISUb, ISUr, YSU) a year after losing 5 of its best QBs: Stick, Christion, McGuire, Straub, Dunne. The top returners at QB were ISUb Boyle, ISUr Davis and YSU Mays .. and all 3 got injured this year .. that's 8 established QBs lost from a year ago .. and we still got 3 teams into quarters.

But NDSU back 7 plays very fast and smart. I think JMU will make some plays and get some yards overall, but NDSU pass defense will hold its own. Where I think they could struggle is playing a team that can run and pass like JMU, and i think the run defense is more likely to give up some yards. Where NDSU will have an advantage is that they are veru used to tough games in the trenches .. JMU clearly struggled to get anything going against UNI, despite having 42 to 18 mins advantage in TOP.

Professor Chaos
December 27th, 2019, 07:22 PM
Same could be said for JMU's pass offense. They've played one defense ranked in the top 25 in defensive pass efficiency this season and that was St Francis (who was 8th at 112.94) and obviously their NEC schedule had a lot to do with that high ranking.

Despite the MVFC having a bunch of young QBs there were some teams that threw it pretty efficiently. SDSU was 12th (154.42) and SIU was 25th (146.51). NDSU's first playoff opponent Nicholls was also 18th (150.25). But I'd agree that the numbers for the Bison pass defense still might be better than the pass defense actually is. It'll be interesting to see who wins that battle in Frisco.

Redbird 4th & short
December 27th, 2019, 07:41 PM
Same could be said for JMU's pass offense. They've played one defense ranked in the top 25 in defensive pass efficiency this season and that was St Francis (who was 8th at 112.94) and obviously their NEC schedule had a lot to do with that high ranking.

Despite the MVFC having a bunch of young QBs there were some teams that threw it pretty efficiently. SDSU was 12th (154.42) and SIU was 25th (146.51). NDSU's first playoff opponent Nicholls was also 18th (150.25). But I'd agree that the numbers for the Bison pass defense still might be better than the pass defense actually is. It'll be interesting to see who wins that battle in Frisco.
You may be right .. I've never dug into Colonial after JMU, other than it being a down year for Colonial after JMU. I think the UNI game demonstrated the difference in line play and overall defense in the MVFC .. upper half anyways.

Ivytalk
December 27th, 2019, 08:05 PM
I’m thinking JMU by 4-6 points. That’s the way my bunion is twitching.

ASU33
December 27th, 2019, 08:10 PM
I like the Dukes in a close one!

Chalupa Batman
December 27th, 2019, 08:16 PM
I think it all depends how well our defense is able to hold up against their rushing attack without having to bring an extra defender into the box. Our rush defense hasn't been what we are used to, and we have refused to come out of our base defense all season long even when teams have had success against us. It seems our attitude has been if a team is able and willing to drive all the way down the field getting 3, 4, 5 yards a pop, good on them. But more often than not a run or two does get stuffed which sets up long distances to go and gives us a good shot to get off the field, or teams just get impatient and start throwing the ball.

We played 8 games against teams that were ranked top 33 in rushing offense (JMU will be the 9th as they are ranked #10). In those 8 games we gave up 166 rush ypg and 4.1 yards per carry. Those numbers don't look all that great, but honestly if we can stay in our base Tampa 2 defense and JMU's final tally looks something like that, that should allow our D to have success against their passing game. Like I said earlier eventually a run or two gets stuffed for 0 or 1 yard and then they have 2nd & long and 3rd & long.

Just one of the many strength on strength matchups in this game that should be fun to watch.

Thunderstruck
December 27th, 2019, 10:07 PM
If JMU doesn't become turnover prone this has the makings of an all timer. Bison run defense up the middle has been soft. Both teams will have wrinkles for each other..... Bison are undefeated in Frisco and stay that way 28-17.

SUPharmacist
December 28th, 2019, 08:55 AM
Hoping for a monster game from Lance to close out what has been an amazing season so far.

AmsterBison
December 28th, 2019, 09:11 AM
JMU looks really tough.

NDSU: Not bad for a rebuilding year.

Professor Chaos
December 28th, 2019, 09:45 AM
Hoping for a monster game from Lance to close out what has been an amazing season so far.
I'd expect a heavy dose of Lance running the ball in this one. I just hope they let him sling it around some as well in non-obvious passing situations. Against SDSU they went heavy on QB run but they almost completely abandoned the short to intermediate passing game which got Lance completely out of rhythm throwing the ball. Let him mix in some high percentage throws on the early downs to try to get him in a groove.

Herder
December 28th, 2019, 11:45 AM
The key for Ndsu is to hit Denucci and not let him run all over the place like Weber did. Can’t just stop RBs.

Bisonoline
December 28th, 2019, 02:14 PM
The key for Ndsu is to hit Denucci and not let him run all over the place like Weber did. Can’t just stop RBs.

We have problems with mobile QBs. Its a product of out style of football. If we are going to crash our DEs we need somebody to watch for containment.

TennBison
December 28th, 2019, 04:25 PM
right, he did not allow the punter to land because he dove under him to avoid hitting him and the punter made sure he crashed and burned by coming down on him, but that's fine... that is what he should do in that situation .... good with it.....

but still that Stapleton call where they ruled a fumble when his knee was firmly planted on the turf long enough to grow roots......
How much is JMU paying you. Did not allow the punter to land...........Punter crashed and burned by coming down on him............are you on crack???
And the Stapleton fumble....... are you watching some JMU CG replay, because the nationally televised version clearly shows the ball coming out.

Redbird 4th & short
December 28th, 2019, 05:24 PM
How much is JMU paying you. Did not allow the punter to land...........Punter crashed and burned by coming down on him............are you on crack???
And the Stapleton fumble....... are you watching some JMU CG replay, because the nationally televised version clearly shows the ball coming out.
If you ask me, he's got more than a bit of the anti-MVFC bias in him.

Longhorn
December 28th, 2019, 07:18 PM
definitely a bit of question mark for NDSU pass defense. MVFC had a lot of RS FR newbies starting (NDSU, SDSU, UNI, ISUR after injury, YSU after injury) and injuries to starters (SDSU, ISUb, ISUr, YSU) a year after losing 5 of its best QBs: Stick, Christion, McGuire, Straub, Dunne. The top returners at QB were ISUb Boyle, ISUr Davis and YSU Mays .. and all 3 got injured this year .. that's 8 established QBs lost from a year ago .. and we still got 3 teams into quarters.

But NDSU back 7 plays very fast and smart. I think JMU will make some plays and get some yards overall, but NDSU pass defense will hold its own. Where I think they could struggle is playing a team that can run and pass like JMU, and i think the run defense is more likely to give up some yards. Where NDSU will have an advantage is that they are veru used to tough games in the trenches .. JMU clearly struggled to get anything going against UNI,despite having 42 to 18 mins advantage in TOP.

Struggled? JMU nearly put up 500 yards of offense against UNI. JMU “struggles” and puts up 500 yards of O against NDSU and the final score won’t be close, and Bison fans won’t be going home happy.

Professor Chaos
December 28th, 2019, 07:31 PM
Struggled? JMU nearly put up 500 yards of offense against UNI. JMU “struggles” and puts up 500 yards of O against NDSU and the final score won’t be close, and Bison fans won’t be going home happy.
Might want to check the box score of that UNI game again chief.

Longhorn
December 28th, 2019, 07:39 PM

I assume you can do simple math, like addition? I know you have a natural aversion to praising all-things JMU, but over 200 yards rushing and passing, totaling some 460 yards + against UNI is near enough 500 yards of offense for government work, and it certainly defies any description of JMU’s offensive production as “struggling”

POD Knows
December 28th, 2019, 07:42 PM
I assume you can do simple math, like addition? I know you have a natural aversion to praising all-things JMU, but over 200 yards rushing and passing, totaling some 460 yards + against UNI is near enough 500 yards of offense for government work, and it certainly defies any description of JMU’s offensive production as “struggling”They had 346 yards of total offense. Here is the link.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=401188397

Professor Chaos
December 28th, 2019, 07:44 PM
I assume you can do simple math, like addition? I know you have a natural aversion to praising all-things JMU, but over 200 yards rushing and passing, totaling some 460 yards + against UNI is near enough 500 yards of offense for government work, and it certainly defies any description of JMU’s offensive production as “struggling”
Damn... I guess even ESPN has it out for JMU by shorting them over 100 yards of total offense.

They had 346 yards of total offense. Here is the link.

Pretty sure he's pulling numbers from their Weber St game. Damn semantics!

Redbird 4th & short
December 28th, 2019, 07:46 PM

JMU put up 346 total yards in 42 mins against UNI, with 3.9 avg yards per play .. imagine if UNI had any offense, they might have held JMU well under 300 total yards.

He may have gotten mixed up with what NDSU put up against UNI .. 492 total yards in 32 mins, with avg per play of 7.1

Longhorn
December 28th, 2019, 07:48 PM
They had 346 yards of total offense. Here is the link.

My error xbowx Apologies to the Prof. & Redbird. I was focused on the stats from JMU’s last game Weber St.

Chalupa Batman
December 28th, 2019, 07:49 PM

What box score are you looking at?

I see 346 total yards. Maybe you're talking in dog yards?

And you ran 88 plays. That's 3.93 yards per play. For the season only Valparaiso, Eastern Illinois, Mississippi Valley State, and Long Island University put up fewer yards per play.

Keep telling us how well you moved the ball against UNI.

*Edit* I see now you were mixed up.

Redbird 4th & short
December 28th, 2019, 07:50 PM
My error xbowx Apologies to the Prof. & Redbird. I was focused on the stats from JMU’s last game Weber St.
no worries .. changing your bet now ????

Longhorn
December 28th, 2019, 07:58 PM
JMU put up 346 total yards in 42 mins against UNI, with 3.9 avg yards per play .. imagine if UNI had any offense, they might have held JMU well under 300 total yards.

With JMU’s D dominating UNI the decision was made at halftime just to run clock and take the win. Perhaps you can fill us in and share how many yards UNI put up in rushing against NDSU?

Longhorn
December 28th, 2019, 08:00 PM
Not checking my bet. I like JMU in a rather controlled win similar to their 2016 victory over YSU.

Redbird 4th & short
December 28th, 2019, 08:15 PM
With JMU’s D dominating UNI the decision was made at halftime just to run clock and take the win. Perhaps you can fill us in and share how many yards UNI put up in rushing against NDSU?
you must mean after Denucci got picked at 7 min mark in Q3 ??

To answer your question .. in week 6, UNI put up 103 yards rushing in 33 carries against NDSU, for 3.2 ypc. But I'm honestly not sure when all of UNI's injuries on offense occurred ... they were hit hard on offense as season progressed. UNI also struggled to move ball the prior week aginst SDSU and the playin game against San Diego. It is well known in MVFC circles that their offense unraveled due to injuries as season progressed. Yet they made the quarters, and gave JMU their toughest game of year.

But yes, JMU has a very good defense and shut down UNI's injury-depleted offense in week 15.

Chalupa Batman
December 28th, 2019, 08:24 PM

You actually moved the ball better in the 2nd half against UNI (although only slightly):

187 yards on 49 plays in the 1st half for 3.82 yards per play
159 yards on 39 plays in the 2nd half for 4.08 yards per play

We allowed 106 more rushing yards against UNI than you did. We beat them by 15 more points than you did. At this point those both matter about the same. Which is not much, if at all.

Redbird 4th & short
December 28th, 2019, 08:42 PM
You actually moved the ball better in the 2nd half against UNI (although only slightly):

187 yards on 49 plays in the 1st half for 3.82 yards per play
159 yards on 39 plays in the 2nd half for 4.08 yards per play

We allowed 106 more rushing yards against UNI than you did. We beat them by 15 more points than you did. At this point those both matter about the same. Which is not much, if at all.
don't forget the 7 point gift inside UNI's own 5 near end of game.

good point on yards per play ... longhorn was correct about JMU going to run game. But this was despite JMU throwing 22 times 1st half and just 5 times 2nd half. That's a lot of throwing underneath for small gains.

But I'm not knocking JMU .. they are clearly the most balanced team on offense and defense that NDSU will play all year and by far. So this should be a great game .. I'm picking NDSU in a close game.

Chalupa Batman
December 28th, 2019, 09:09 PM
don't forget the 7 point gift inside UNI's own 5 near end of game.

good point on yards per play ... longhorn was correct about JMU going to run game. But this was despite JMU throwing 22 times 1st half and just 5 times 2nd half. That's a lot of throwing underneath for small gains.

But I'm not knocking JMU .. they are clearly the most balanced team on offense and defense that NDSU will play all year and by far. So this should be a great game .. I'm picking NDSU in a close game.

I don't mean to be knocking JMU either. They had one bad game offensively and so did we, and we both rebounded the following week. They are very good and I expect a tough game in Frisco, which I see as pretty much a tossup.

Bison56
December 28th, 2019, 09:42 PM
Not checking my bet. I like JMU in a rather controlled win similar to their 2016 victory over YSU.
Go back to your hole and cry about the big bad NDSU fans.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 28th, 2019, 09:48 PM
What is the fan ratio going to be at this one?

xeyebrowx

xchinscratchx

I know many Bison fans that have bought tickets already from the summer. The school allotment will be gone easily.

I say 65-75% Bison fans at this one.

Bisonoline
December 28th, 2019, 10:11 PM

xeyebrowx

xchinscratchx

I know many Bison fans that have bought tickets already from the summer. The school allotment will be gone easily.

They should have at least 5k fans.

Chalupa Batman
December 28th, 2019, 10:28 PM

xeyebrowx

xchinscratchx

Is the school allotment still 4,000? If so I say between 6-7,000 from JMU.

uni88
December 28th, 2019, 10:51 PM
With JMU’s D dominating UNI the decision was made at halftime just to run the ball and keep DeNucci from being decapitated. Perhaps you can fill us in and share how many yards UNI put up in rushing against NDSU?

FYP

Biggest difference on offense was UNI had Weston against NDSU but not JMU. He would have been the best receiver on the field if he played against JMU.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Houndawg
December 29th, 2019, 08:35 AM

I dunno - our RBs played well against them - it was the 70 yds. passing that kept us from having a shot. I haven't looked but I'll bet there weren't many other teams that ran for 200+ on them this year.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 29th, 2019, 09:49 AM
I dunno - our RBs played well against them - it was the 70 yds. passing that kept us from having a shot. I haven't looked but I'll bet there weren't many other teams that ran for 200+ on them this year.

Well a good thing for SIU is that NDSU is off the schedule again. Now that UND is coming into the league the eastern teams will have multiple western teams off their schedules every year. NDSU will have UND-USD-SDSU-UNI-YSU every year. Heck, I bet SIU will have 2 of them off their conference schedule every year. Boy wouldn't it be nice for the Bison to have 2 teams from this group off the schedule every year.....UND-USD-SDSU-UNI-YSU....xeyebrowx

Redbird 4th & short
December 29th, 2019, 10:23 AM
Well a good thing for SIU is that NDSU is off the schedule again. Now that UND is coming into the league the eastern teams will have multiple western teams off their schedules every year. NDSU will have UND-USD-SDSU-UNI-YSU every year. Heck, I bet SIU will have 2 of them off their conference schedule every year. Boy wouldn't it be nice for the Bison to have 2 teams from this group off the schedule every year.....UND-USD-SDSU-UNI-YSU....xeyebrowx

why would league put YSU in the western half of conference for schedulling purposes ? Why not WIU or MoST as the 6th team nstead ?

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 29th, 2019, 11:20 AM
why would league put YSU in the western half of conference for schedulling purposes ? Why not WIU or MoST as the 6th team nstead ?

Good question. I was told that YSU is not part of the team rotations. Longest travel distance for the Bison.

But I was also told that when NDSU/SDSU came into the Valley teams like: WIU, Ind State, SIU complained about the travel to the Dakotas so that is why they are the teams in the rotation to cut down on their travel costs.

If the Valley ever did split up into 2 divisions, the west would be the stronger entity.

Christiank22
December 29th, 2019, 11:58 AM

You’re comparing this NDSU team to YSU...? Damn dude, do you ever watch college football?

Mfergy4
December 29th, 2019, 12:02 PM
Love this thread, only place where level-headed discussion about the game can be found.
Interest thoughts on MVFC scheduling with the addition of UND. There are rumbling that Nebraska-omaha and Augustana were looking to move up to D-1. Could the old NCC be reborn?

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 29th, 2019, 12:12 PM
Love this thread, only place where level-headed discussion about the game can be found.
Interest thoughts on MVFC scheduling with the addition of UND. There are rumbling that Nebraska-omaha and Augustana were looking to move up to D-1. Could the old NCC be reborn?

Omaha is not bringing back football...ever. Augustana has a very slim chance getting into the Valley....probably no chance. They will be in the Pioneer if they ever go D1.

I'd take St Thomas over Augie any day.

Hammersmith
December 29th, 2019, 12:20 PM
But I was also told that when NDSU/SDSU came into the Valley teams like: WIU, Ind State, SIU complained about the travel to the Dakotas so that is why they are the teams in the rotation to cut down on their travel costs.

Basically correct, but it was the addition of USD that triggered it, not NDSU/SDSU. I think the agreement was that those three schools would never travel to the Dakotas twice in one season. But I haven't checked the recent schedules to confirm it. Don't know how the addition of UND will alter things.

Hammersmith
December 29th, 2019, 12:28 PM
Thanks Chaos for the input...I too believe the Championship games has had the Best of the Best.

Slight alteration: The championship games have the best of the best, excluding officials from the conferences of the championship participants.

It's possible the actual best of the best this year could be from either the MVFC or CAA, but they wouldn't be allowed to officiate the game.

It's unfortunate for the MVFC officials as they haven't been allowed to officiate a championship game for at least nine years.

Bison56
December 29th, 2019, 02:48 PM

I hope not.

vutomcat
December 30th, 2019, 08:04 AM
you must mean after Denucci got picked at 7 min mark in Q3 ??

To answer your question .. in week 6, UNI put up 103 yards rushing in 33 carries against NDSU, for 3.2 ypc. But I'm honestly not sure when all of UNI's injuries on offense occurred ... they were hit hard on offense as season progressed. UNI also struggled to move ball the prior week aginst SDSU and the playin game against San Diego. It is well known in MVFC circles that their offense unraveled due to injuries as season progressed. Yet they made the quarters, and gave JMU their toughest game of year.

But yes, JMU has a very good defense and shut down UNI's injury-depleted offense in week 15.

Ah, no. Nova was beating JMU going into the 4th quarter and out gained them 431- 374.

Redbird 4th & short
December 30th, 2019, 08:30 AM
Good question. I was told that YSU is not part of the team rotations. Longest travel distance for the Bison.

If the Valley ever did split up into 2 divisions, the west would be the stronger entity.
no doubt at this point .. if we ever solve the QB position, I like our chances to more consistently contend for top 8 seeds ... until then we will be one of those programs that usually flirts with top 10 for part of the season and then falls short by end of season. But playing in the eastern MVFC when that happens, will help our record for sure.

Redbird 4th & short
December 30th, 2019, 08:49 AM
Ah, no. Nova was beating JMU going into the 4th quarter and out gained them 431- 374.

I was more refering to playoff run .. but didnt say it right.

Gil Dobie
December 30th, 2019, 12:53 PM

...and Stony Brook took them into OT.

dewey
December 30th, 2019, 04:32 PM
UC Davis and Southern Illinois gave NDSU all the Bison wanted in there respective games.

Basically each team has had some games where they were lights out good and a few that each struggled to win.

This is going to be a hell of a game. I, as I would suspect most Bison fans, have had 1 eye on the Dukes all year knowing that they would be very good.

12 days to go.

I am super pumped.

Dewey

Houndawg
December 30th, 2019, 08:07 PM
Slight alteration: The championship games have the best of the best, excluding officials from the conferences of the championship participants.

It's possible the actual best of the best this year could be from either the MVFC or CAA, but they wouldn't be allowed to officiate the game.

It's unfortunate for the MVFC officials as they haven't been allowed to officiate a championship game for at least nine years.

It isn't unfortunate for the fans

Houndawg
December 30th, 2019, 08:13 PM

Get rid of USD and make UND go somewhere else

Professor Chaos
December 30th, 2019, 08:14 PM
It isn't unfortunate for the fans
Some of the other conference crews in the playoffs make me miss MVFC officials.... like that SOCON crew that did the Nicholls/NDSU game this year.

mcveyrl
December 31st, 2019, 09:56 AM
Having Latrele Palmer back will be big for JMU. Gives us a third - some might say fourth - legitimate option at RB and usually provides fresh legs late in games - thus the 6.8 yards per carry average. He had 12 carries for 53 yards against Weber State - all in the fourth quarter. Against Villanova he came in with JMU down by 7 in the fourth quarter and had 8 carries for 103 yards (inflated a little bit by a 69 yard TD run).

If we follow the same formula, it will be a heavy does of 31 and 7 the first three quarters and Palmer will come in for the fourth and hopefully keep up that pace.

Lorne_Malvo
December 31st, 2019, 10:28 AM
UC Davis and Southern Illinois gave NDSU all the Bison wanted in there respective games.

Basically each team has had some games where they were lights out good and a few that each struggled to win.

This is going to be a hell of a game. I, as I would suspect most Bison fans, have had 1 eye on the Dukes all year knowing that they would be very good.

12 days to go.

I am super pumped.

Dewey

21-7 and 27-16 dont really seem like close games to me.

Redbird 4th & short
December 31st, 2019, 10:50 AM
100% agree .. now maybe something more like 9-3 ... that is more like it !!!

xthumbsupx

POD Knows
December 31st, 2019, 11:44 AM
100% agree .. now maybe something more like 9-3 ... that is more like it !!!

xthumbsupxOddly enough, that Davis game NDSU had seemed closer than the ISUr game. It was 20-16 at the end of the 3rd quarter. It was 14-7 Bison at the end of three at SIU. All these games were close but I didn't think we would lose either the SIU or the ISU game because it didn't feel like late in the game, either club was a real threat to score.

Gil Dobie
December 31st, 2019, 02:24 PM
Watching the highlights from 2 years ago. Sure glad the 2 guys that ran down Schor on that final drive are still with the Bison, Tuska and Cox. Both hurried the pass, even though he never got caught. Cox just had a straight line for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryehXJuzH3s

Professor Chaos
December 31st, 2019, 02:41 PM
Watching the highlights from 2 years ago. Sure glad the 2 guys that ran down Schor on that final drive are still with the Bison, Tuska and Cox. Both hurried the pass, even though he never got caught. Cox just had a straight line for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryehXJuzH3s
I think this 3 week break is going to really help out Cox... he's a guy who quietly does so much for the defense with his versatility (and I know opposing OCs scheme against him moreso than anyone Tuszka included) but I think he was hindered throughout the playoffs by an ankle injury he suffered in the WIU game. That should finally be behind him after this break.

Consequently that's another reason why I'm for the 3 week layoff rather than playing the title game right away... players on both side can heal up the minor dings they've gotten over the course of the season and the playoffs allowing for healthier players and presumably better play in the championship game.

dewey
December 31st, 2019, 03:50 PM

Well considering that UC Davis was 20-16 until NDSU scored with about 3 to 4 minutes left seems close to me. To each their own though.

Dewey

Mfergy4
December 31st, 2019, 03:57 PM
Having Latrele Palmer back will be big for JMU. Gives us a third - some might say fourth - legitimate option at RB and usually provides fresh legs late in games - thus the 6.8 yards per carry average. He had 12 carries for 53 yards against Weber State - all in the fourth quarter. Against Villanova he came in with JMU down by 7 in the fourth quarter and had 8 carries for 103 yards (inflated a little bit by a 69 yard TD run).

If we follow the same formula, it will be a heavy does of 31 and 7 the first three quarters and Palmer will come in for the fourth and hopefully keep up that pace.

Well if we follow that train of thought NDSU rotates between 3 RB's and their QB plus there is a fourth RB coming off injury which be very health as well. So both teams should have good legs in the fourth quarter. But it still comes down to the play in the trenches and I will have to say the scale tips in NDSU's favor given the MVFC more physical style of play over the CAA this year. Both Defenses will be tested.

Chalupa Batman
December 31st, 2019, 06:30 PM
Well considering that UC Davis was 20-16 until NDSU scored with about 3 to 4 minutes left seems close to me. To each their own though.

Dewey

And before that final TD we intercepted them on 3rd and goal with about 7 minutes to go. That and SDSU are the only games this year where during the game I thought we could lose. As close as SIU & ISUr were I never felt like we were losing those games.

TheRevSFA
January 1st, 2020, 03:48 AM
I just want to say to all going to Frisco, I hope you have a blast. Unfortunately I had major surgery the day after Christmas and the recovery is going to keep me at home, but I’ll be watching.

Plan on returning in 2021. Also Go Bison

Daytripper
January 1st, 2020, 06:58 AM
Good luck to the Bison. I've been to three national championship games, the first two when Sam Houston played NDSU. With the exception of one Bison fan in my hotel the first year, NDSU peeps were awesome. I happened to be in the Frisco area the year JMU played YSU. I attended that game in my Bearkat gear because I didn't have a dog in the hunt. YSU folks were very cool and I talked to a few about their team and my team. The JMU crowd was drunkenly obnoxious for the most part. But even the sober ones acted like arrogant dicks. GO BISON!

(No disrespect to JMU people here on AGS. I'm sure you are the exception to the rule.)

TennBison
January 1st, 2020, 09:06 AM
Good luck to the Bison. I've been to three national championship games, the first two when Sam Houston played NDSU. With the exception of one Bison fan in my hotel the first year, NDSU peeps were awesome. I happened to be in the Frisco area the year JMU played YSU. I attended that game in my Bearkat gear because I didn't have a dog in the hunt. YSU folks were very cool and I talked to a few about their team and my team. The JMU crowd was drunkenly obnoxious for the most part. But even the sober ones acted like arrogant dicks. GO BISON!

(No disrespect to JMU people here on AGS. I'm sure you are the exception to the rule.)

Or the driving force behind it.

dewey
January 1st, 2020, 10:27 AM
The banners are up in Frisco.

Deweyhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200101/ce2136c36565558a7c70d57a337d967a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

caribbeanhen
January 1st, 2020, 01:08 PM

Deweyhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200101/ce2136c36565558a7c70d57a337d967a.jpg

that's a banner? Last time I saw a sign like that I was looking for the garage sale....

Bisonoline
January 1st, 2020, 01:42 PM
that's a banner? Last time I saw a sign like that I was looking for the garage sale....

https://i.imgur.com/b7Gobuq.jpg

TheKingpin28
January 1st, 2020, 02:03 PM

Those boulevard banners are cool. Good old 18oz vinyl.

Lorne_Malvo
January 1st, 2020, 02:40 PM
How many fans are going to steal those?

TennBison
January 1st, 2020, 04:04 PM
​That is one hell of a nice looking dash you have there, mine has coffee all over it.

TennBison
January 1st, 2020, 04:20 PM
We will find out on Friday night when i get there.

Bisonoline
January 1st, 2020, 04:45 PM
​That is one hell of a nice looking dash you have there, mine has coffee all over it.

It doesnt look like that anymore. xnodx

Bisonoline
January 1st, 2020, 04:49 PM
https://i.imgur.com/g7LSZsG.jpg

uni88
January 1st, 2020, 08:35 PM
How many reprobates are going to steal those?

FYP

Gil Dobie
January 1st, 2020, 09:28 PM

I don't have room for one, got this item that used to hang in the Fargodome. Paid a good price for it too. 2012 Championship Banner.

https://scontent.ffcm1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p206x206/71260434_10158746831289638_7074896848409853952_o.j pg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ohc=5spd97LhrOAAQmT9C2JK1o6gsYtI7aXRexZ00pbIwC Up3Q_hy86rovG9w&_nc_ht=scontent.ffcm1-1.fna&oh=8113b2715a9a72142d487cfbba11544f&oe=5E98A9B3

Professor Chaos
January 1st, 2020, 09:48 PM
I don't have much for reasoning behind it but I just have a feeling like there are going to be more points scored in this game than the consensus seems to think. The O/U on all of the Vegas and online books started out in the mid 50s and now they're in the low 50s as people are apparently betting the under pretty hard.

These defenses are really good but so are the offenses... and not only are both offenses really good they're also very diverse when they want to be and I have a feeling all the stops are going to get pulled out by both offenses in this one.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
January 1st, 2020, 10:21 PM
While you could be right, I will counter your point about the offenses with the fact that both teams play a very strong ball control game (JMU #7 and NDSU #14 nationally, a minute apart respectively at 33 and 32 min avg TOP). I don't see many short drives with a play going for 50-80 yards to the house. There may be one or two, but overall, these teams play disciplined assignment football - especially on defense - and fewer of possessions in the game will lead to fewer total points scored, like in 2017. It adds excitement, each possession will really matter. Field position will be as big as any other stat on the day. But these styles will lead to fewer possessions with fewer total points scored as a result, no matter how capable both team are to light it up when needed. A 20-24 score seems most likely to me.

Professor Chaos
January 2nd, 2020, 08:56 AM
While you could be right, I will counter your point about the offenses with the fact that both teams play a very strong ball control game (JMU #7 and NDSU #14 nationally, a minute apart respectively at 33 and 32 min avg TOP). I don't see many short drives with a play going for 50-80 yards to the house. There may be one or two, but overall, these teams play disciplined assignment football - especially on defense - and fewer of possessions in the game will lead to fewer total points scored, like in 2017. It adds excitement, each possession will really matter. Field position will be as big as any other stat on the day. But these styles will lead to fewer possessions with fewer total points scored as a result, no matter how capable both team are to light it up when needed. A 20-24 score seems most likely to me.
We'll see. Each team had 14 possessions in the game two years ago. Of course there were a lot of short possessions ending in punts in that one. I think both offenses are better than they were that year. Defenses are probably about the same or even a bit worse in NDSU's case.

JMUisat14
January 2nd, 2020, 01:10 PM
We'll see. Each team had 14 possessions in the game two years ago. Of course there were a lot of short possessions ending in punts in that one. I think both offenses are better than they were that year. Defenses are probably about the same or even a bit worse in NDSU's case.

Yeah 50/50 imo on JMU's defence being better or worse this year than 2017. The talent level is still there, it's just been shifted around. We have a better front four than we did two years ago. This looks to be our best d-line in school history. The secondary isn't as strong as it was that year though. We returned a lot of players this season, but Greene '18 (S) and Moreland '19 (CB) graduating left some big shoes to fill.

caribbeanhen
January 2nd, 2020, 02:16 PM

wow, nice photoshop Mr Tech

Bisonoline
January 2nd, 2020, 02:38 PM
wow, nice photoshop Mr Tech

Unfortunately I dont know how to photo shop. I was surprised my wife got the pic going 80 mph on the No.Dallas Freeway.

caribbeanhen
January 2nd, 2020, 03:16 PM
Unfortunately I dont know how to photo shop. I was surprised my wife got the pic going 80 mph on the No.Dallas Freeway.

neither do I, we will be ok

cx500d
January 2nd, 2020, 05:24 PM

There is nothing "free" about the No. Dallas Tollway

Bisonoline
January 2nd, 2020, 06:01 PM

I stand corrected. :D

Hammerhead
January 2nd, 2020, 09:01 PM

Even though We still had Oregon license plates on our Jeep after moving to North Dakota the summer before, We still got a bill in the mail for our tolls.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 3rd, 2020, 05:01 AM

The Bison have 9 different players that have had TDs over 50 yards this year. IMO, these teams are pretty equal with NDSU having a slight advantage offensively.

dewey
January 3rd, 2020, 10:44 AM
Here is a really good podcast by the HERO sports FCS writers Brian McLaughlun and Sam Herder.

https://m.herosports.com/fcs/football-2019-podcast-29-ndsu-jmu-championship-bzbz

There is some great FBS talk at about the 56 minute mark.

Dewey

Schism55
January 3rd, 2020, 11:16 AM
A couple nice bumpers(advertisements) for this game during both FBS semifinal playoff games xthumbsupx
Can't wait for this game, epic punch in the face contest inc!

Professor Chaos
January 3rd, 2020, 11:49 AM
The Bison have 9 different players that have had TDs over 50 yards this year. IMO, these teams are pretty equal with NDSU having a slight advantage offensively.
Agreed, I think NDSU has a slightly better offense but JMU probably has a slightly better defense. JMU definitely has a better defensive front 7.

So many different units on each team are going to be facing their toughest opponent of the season though... I think there's going to be some real surprises where some statistically dominant units have a very average day. Who those units are I have no clue but I mentioned earlier in the thread that I think one of them will either be the NDSU pass defense or the JMU pass offense.

cx500d
January 3rd, 2020, 11:51 AM
Agreed, I think NDSU has a slightly better offense but JMU probably has a slightly better defense. JMU definitely has a better defensive front 7.
All JMU has to do is pass to one of the Stapletons....They never drop the ball.

dewey
January 3rd, 2020, 11:59 AM
All JMU has to do is pass to one of the Stapletons....They never drop the ball.

Well Riley did fumble during the title game in 2017.

Dewey

Bison56
January 3rd, 2020, 01:12 PM

Dewey

Depends who you ask.

Chalupa Batman
January 3rd, 2020, 01:35 PM
Depends who you ask.

Beat me to it.

uni88
January 3rd, 2020, 01:51 PM
All JMU has to do is pass to one of the Stapletons....They never let one escape.

FYP

Fleurrose
January 3rd, 2020, 01:56 PM

It's possible the actual best of the best this year could be from either the MVFC or CAA,audacity (https://audacity.onl/) temp mail (https://mails.tips/temp-mail/) origin (https://origin.onl/) but they wouldn't be allowed to officiate the game.

caribbeanhen
January 3rd, 2020, 02:47 PM

Dewey

according to the Magoo ref, his knee was planted firmly in the ground when he was stripped of the ball..... bad call

Professor Chaos
January 3rd, 2020, 02:47 PM
It'll be a Big Sky crew officiating this game: https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive/2020/01/01/spo-jmr-panguitch-resident-to-referee-fcs-football-championship-game#.Xg-nI-TsYpV

Kelly Holman's crew also did the Villanova/SE Louisiana 1st round game (remember that controversial OPI call that took away a Nova TD late???) earlier in the playoffs.

PurpleStreamers
January 3rd, 2020, 03:07 PM
It'll be a Big Sky crew officiating this game: https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive/2020/01/01/spo-jmr-panguitch-resident-to-referee-fcs-football-championship-game#.Xg-nI-TsYpV

Kelly Holman's crew also did the Villanova/SE Louisiana 1st round game (remember that controversial OPI call that took away a Nova TD late???) earlier in the playoffs.

This makes me want to vomit - that was a hideous call that completely changed the game. But I did read somewhere (someone on here or on JMU boards posted a story from Holman's hometown paper about him getting the nod) that Holman is the Referee but no one else from his crew this season is working the game. Just an "all-star" lineup from Big Fluffy, so I'm sure there's nothing at all to be concerned about. Ugh.

Professor Chaos
January 3rd, 2020, 03:12 PM
This makes me want to vomit - that was a hideous call that completely changed the game. But I did read somewhere (someone on here or on JMU boards posted a story from Holman's hometown paper about him getting the nod) that Holman is the Referee but no one else from his crew this season is working the game. Just an "all-star" lineup from Big Fluffy, so I'm sure there's nothing at all to be concerned about. Ugh.
That article in my last post is probably the one you're referring to. He mentioned that his "playoff crew" isn't the same as his regular crew which leads me to believe that the crew that did that Nova/SLU game is the same one doing this game but that he had a different crew during the Big Sky regular season.

“The whole crew is from the Big Sky Conference,” Holman told Cedar City News. “I don’t have anyone from my current crew on this playoff crew, but I do have my umpire and line judge from last year. I’ve worked with all seven officials in the past, including our replay official, so we’re all familiar with each other.”

PurpleStreamers
January 3rd, 2020, 03:15 PM
That article in my last post is probably the one you're referring to. He mentioned that his "playoff crew" isn't the same as his regular crew which leads me to believe that the crew that did that Nova/SLU game is the same one doing this game but that he had a different crew during the Big Sky regular season.

You're right and that makes it even worse. At the bottom of this article is a Villanofun article about the play with a decent recording of what he's talking about:
https://247sports.com/college/villanova/Article/Villanova-football-edged-45-44-by-SELA-in-FCS-Playoffs-139579893/

Gil Dobie
January 3rd, 2020, 04:02 PM

The ball was coming out before the knee was down. If you watch with a Bison view, it's obvious.

Grizalltheway
January 3rd, 2020, 04:33 PM

I know everyone thinks their conference's refs are bad, but the Big Sky ones truly are horrendous. They actually stole a down from the Griz a few years ago.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
January 3rd, 2020, 04:46 PM
I need to make the token complaint that we need to wait another week for this game! Why this isn't the lead into ESPN/ABC's NFL playoff coverage is beyond me.

caribbeanhen
January 3rd, 2020, 05:04 PM
I need to make the token complaint that we need to wait another week for this game! Why this isn't the lead into ESPN/ABC's NFL playoff coverage is beyond me.

Because that would make too much sense

cx500d
January 3rd, 2020, 05:22 PM
I know everyone thinks their conference's refs are bad, but the Big Sky ones truly are horrendous. They actually stole a down from the Griz a few years ago.

Seemed like there was some game recently where the team got like two extra downs. One of the playoff games I think.

NEBison
January 3rd, 2020, 05:27 PM
Seemed like there was some game recently where the team got like two extra downs. One of the playoff games I think.

It was Nicholls and SELA in the last regular season game of the year but they got extra timeouts not downs. If we are thinking of the same thing that is

cx500d
January 3rd, 2020, 05:30 PM
It was Nicholls and SELA in the last regular season game of the year but they got extra timeouts not downs. If we are thinking of the same thing that is

That’s right, that’s what it was.

KPSUL
January 4th, 2020, 10:02 PM
4 out of 5 of these pundits from Hero Sports are picking JMU.

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-2019-championship-predictions-contributors-bzbz (https://herosports.com/fcs/football-2019-championship-predictions-contributors-bzbz)

BisonFan02
January 4th, 2020, 10:27 PM

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-2019-championship-predictions-contributors-bzbz (https://herosports.com/fcs/football-2019-championship-predictions-contributors-bzbz)

JMU is my pick too. If you would have told me before the season started that this young Bison team would be in the natty unbeaten, I wouldnt have believed you. They are due to lose down there eventually. JMU by 7-10 points

dewey
January 4th, 2020, 10:36 PM
It would not surprise me to see James Madison win the title. However JMU will lose a LOT and NDSU will bring back a LOT of young players. NDSU may very well win the next few years.

My prediction
NDSU 23
JMU 17

Dewey

TennBison
January 5th, 2020, 06:49 AM

So am I suppose to trust the experts at Hero sports? The same people who can't get JMU's record correct? https://herosports.com/fcs-football-rankings
Notice how the one guy picking does not say the underdog will win for the third time in a row between these two, but he says that the lower seeded team will win.

POD Knows
January 5th, 2020, 08:22 AM
4 out of 5 Hero Sports pundits have JMU, that is good enough for me JMU #10 #BOOKIT, sell your soul if you have one, the kids, the wife, the dog, the mistress, the mistress for the mistress, lock, stock and barrel.

Gil Dobie
January 5th, 2020, 09:21 AM
According to the JMU messageboard, NDSU is not so young. That's if you only count the 2 deep. Look at who played, and who contributed, like Johnson who's been injured, isn't on the 2 deep, but he was a key player in games this year.

122RE: National Championship JMU Versus NDSU January 11, 2020
I keep seeing this nonsense that NDSU is a young team. They may be inexperienced due to only returning 7 starters from last year, but they are not young in terms of their 2 deep. And the 2 deep is what matters, because they're the ones playing, not the 3rd-5th stringers for the most part. NDSU is above avg in upperclassmen in terms of their 44 two deep.

Using the Phil Steel method, looking at only the 44 two deep (not special teams):
"3 points for every senior starter (2.5 for every additional senior in the two deep) 2 points for every junior starter (1.5 for every additional junior in the two deep) 1 point for a sophomore starter (0.5 for every additional soph in the two deep) then subtracted 1 point for every frosh starter and .5 for every frosh in the two deep."
https://philsteele.com/2019/07/01/2019-t...breakdown/

NDSU (as per game notes 2 deep vs vs MT State).
8 Sr starters x 3 = 24
5 Sr 2 deep x 2.5 = 12.5
7 Jr starters x 2 = 14
6 Jr 2 deep x 1.5 = 9
6 Soph starters x 1 = 6
8 Soph 2 deep x .5 = 4
1 Fr starter x -1 = -1
3 Fr 2 deep x-.5 = -1.5
Total 44 players = 67 points.
Among 130 I-A teams 2019 would place them in a tie for 41st.

JMU (as per game notes 2 deep vs Weber St).
12 Sr starters x 3 = 36
3 Sr 2 deep x 2.5 = 7.5
10 Jr starters x 2 = 20
9 Jr 2 deep x 1.5 = 13.5
0 Soph starters
6 Soph 2 deep x .5 = 3
0 Fr starters
4 Fr 2 deep x -.5 = -2
Total 44 players = 78 points.
Among 130 I-A teams 2019 would place them in a tie for 11th.

Don't have a data set for the I-AA teams. I'm not going to count the 2 deep for 120+ teams. I doubt the class spread is much different between the 2 subdivisions.
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2019 04:05 PM by BDKJMU.)
12-27-2019 03:56 PM

TennBison
January 5th, 2020, 09:26 AM
According to the JMU messageboard, NDSU is not so young. That's if you only count the 2 deep. Look at who played, and who contributed, like Johnson who's been injured, isn't on the 2 deep, but he was a key player in games this year.

122RE: National Championship JMU Versus NDSU January 11, 2020
I keep seeing this nonsense that NDSU is a young team. They may be inexperienced due to only returning 7 starters from last year, but they are not young in terms of their 2 deep. And the 2 deep is what matters, because they're the ones playing, not the 3rd-5th stringers for the most part. NDSU is above avg in upperclassmen in terms of their 44 two deep.

Using the Phil Steel method, looking at only the 44 two deep (not special teams):
"3 points for every senior starter (2.5 for every additional senior in the two deep) 2 points for every junior starter (1.5 for every additional junior in the two deep) 1 point for a sophomore starter (0.5 for every additional soph in the two deep) then subtracted 1 point for every frosh starter and .5 for every frosh in the two deep."
https://philsteele.com/2019/07/01/2019-t...breakdown/

NDSU (as per game notes 2 deep vs vs MT State).
8 Sr starters x 3 = 24
5 Sr 2 deep x 2.5 = 12.5
7 Jr starters x 2 = 14
6 Jr 2 deep x 1.5 = 9
6 Soph starters x 1 = 6
8 Soph 2 deep x .5 = 4
1 Fr starter x -1 = -1
3 Fr 2 deep x-.5 = -1.5
Total 44 players = 67 points.
Among 130 I-A teams 2019 would place them in a tie for 41st.

JMU (as per game notes 2 deep vs Weber St).
12 Sr starters x 3 = 36
3 Sr 2 deep x 2.5 = 7.5
10 Jr starters x 2 = 20
9 Jr 2 deep x 1.5 = 13.5
0 Soph starters
6 Soph 2 deep x .5 = 3
0 Fr starters
4 Fr 2 deep x -.5 = -2
Total 44 players = 78 points.
Among 130 I-A teams 2019 would place them in a tie for 11th.

Don't have a data set for the I-AA teams. I'm not going to count the 2 deep for 120+ teams. I doubt the class spread is much different between the 2 subdivisions.
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2019 04:05 PM by BDKJMU.)
12-27-2019 03:56 PM
Just seems odd that for any reason we need to have Lance associated with a negative number.

Schism55
January 5th, 2020, 10:35 AM
https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/1213851657433440256

Bison56
January 5th, 2020, 11:14 AM
JMU is my pick too. If you would have told me before the season started that this young Bison team would be in the natty unbeaten, I wouldnt have believed you. They are due to lose down there eventually. JMU by 7-10 points

Team has already exceeded my expectations. Would be a nice to win, but wouldn't be surprised at a loss. Bright future for the Bison though.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 5th, 2020, 11:48 AM
I'll never pick against the Bison at this level of football.

NDSU has an edge offensively. Defenses are a wash IMO.

It will be a close low scoring game.

SUPharmacist
January 5th, 2020, 09:20 PM
https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/1213851657433440256

I don't watch many college football games other than NDSU, are these people I should know?

Professor Chaos
January 5th, 2020, 09:46 PM
Weather Channel no longer forecasts rain on game day but high team "only" 50. Still... I'll take it as long as the rain stays away.

Chalupa Batman
January 6th, 2020, 12:04 AM
I don't watch many college football games other than NDSU, are these people I should know?

Mark Jones has been around for quite a while and I think is real good. I'm guessing you've heard him somewhere before.

Don't know much about the other two except that Dekker is nice to look at. xlovex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGzVOhYzOmY&t=257s

Schism55
January 6th, 2020, 12:08 AM
Mark Jones is awesome. Dusty was an AA Defensive lineman at Oklahoma. Olivia is Kevin Harlan's daughter and married to NBA'er Sam Dekker. They are a good crew, glad they are calling this game.

Professor Chaos
January 6th, 2020, 05:28 AM
Mark Jones is awesome. Dusty was an AA Defensive lineman at Oklahoma. Olivia is Kevin Harlan's daughter and married to NBA'er Sam Dekker. They are a good crew, glad they are calling this game.
If only Olivia's pops was calling the game. Seriously one of the best to ever do it. He actually called 2 games at once about 8 days ago :)

https://twitter.com/JeffEisenband/status/1211395606402473984

And of course his play-by-play call of stadium security chasing down a streaker may be the best 60 seconds of radio ever.

Guessing he might be calling one of the NFL playoff games next weekend though... either on CBS TV or Westwood One radio.

dewey
January 6th, 2020, 06:00 AM
Weather Channel no longer forecasts rain on game day but high team "only" 50. Still... I'll take it as long as the rain stays away.

No rain is great news.

5 days to go!

Dewey

Professor Chaos
January 6th, 2020, 06:15 AM
No rain is great news.

5 days to go!

Dewey
Spoke to soon... now it's back to 30% chance of morning showers. High temps keep falling now with a high of 48. Guess we're bringing the colder air with us...

SUPharmacist
January 6th, 2020, 07:19 AM

Sounds good, thanks for the info everyone.

dewey
January 6th, 2020, 07:35 AM
Spoke to soon... now it's back to 30% chance of morning showers. High temps keep falling now with a high of 48. Guess we're bringing the colder air with us...

Dang it! Hopefully it goes away before the game starts.

Dewey

Haley's Five Rings
January 6th, 2020, 07:49 AM
My hope is the NDSU coaching staff is ignoring Polk (https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/3929652/brandon-polk) as much as this thread has.

Do the Bison have a corner who can contain him 1:1, or do they need to commit safety help over the top? Dude is quick.

POD Knows
January 6th, 2020, 07:57 AM
My hope is the NDSU coaching staff is ignoring Polk (https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/3929652/brandon-polk) as much as this thread has.

Do the Bison have a corner who can contain him 1:1, or do they need to commit safety help over the top? Dude is quick.No we don't. We have had shut down corners in the past but not now but I trust they will figure something out. Good players are going to make plays. Weston for UNI had a pretty good game against NDSU.

Professor Chaos
January 6th, 2020, 08:52 AM

Do the Bison have a corner who can contain him 1:1, or do they need to commit safety help over the top? Dude is quick.
Well the Bison do have the #1 pass defense in the country in terms of yards allowed per game, yards allowed per attempt, and defensive pass efficiency. I'm sure the Bison coaches are well aware of how dangerous Polk is. I suspect you will see safety help on his intermediate to deep routes because the Bison are almost always in cover 2 (even when they know the opposing team is going to be running the ball) which is probably one of the reasons why the pass defense is so good and the run defense has been questionable at times.

That said they haven't faced a lot of great QBs and great pass offenses this year but JMU hasn't faced a lot of great pass defenses either. Something has to give there.

dewey
January 6th, 2020, 08:54 AM
2 years ago today NDSU defeated James Madison to win the National Championship 17-13.

Dewey

Professor Chaos
January 6th, 2020, 08:55 AM
It's now officially championship week gumdrops!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxm736ibNMc

Professor
January 6th, 2020, 09:16 AM
NFL playoffs don't start till 4pm. Championship game will be only football game on

Professor Chaos
January 6th, 2020, 09:32 AM
NFL playoffs don't start till 4pm. Championship game will be only football game on
Yeah, I think that's the reason why they kick it off so early. Would really help if it was an hour or two later for those of us there to get a good tailgate in but it is what it is... plenty of time after the game at least.

dewey
January 6th, 2020, 12:18 PM
It's now officially championship week gumdrops!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxm736ibNMc

GOOSEBUMPS!

Dewey

TennBison
January 6th, 2020, 12:44 PM

We plan on putting our best offensive lineman on him, don't want to embarrass him by using a DB.

Bison56
January 6th, 2020, 01:06 PM

Who?

mcveyrl
January 6th, 2020, 01:08 PM
Yeah, I think that's the reason why they kick it off so early. Would really help if it was an hour or two later for those of us there to get a good tailgate in but it is what it is... plenty of time after the game at least.

This is set up to be the highest rated championship game by a lot. ABC, no other games, two fairly recognizable teams. I think you'll have a lot of people stop on it.

Professor Chaos
January 6th, 2020, 01:20 PM
This is set up to be the highest rated championship game by a lot. ABC, no other games, two fairly recognizable teams. I think you'll have a lot of people stop on it.
Yep, hopefully it will be in the 2.5-3M range. I believe that would make it the most watched FCS game ever.

2 years ago it his 1.5M on the deuce so I'd imagine the huge bump in network alone should be good for at least a 65%-100% increase.