PDA

View Full Version : National Championship: James Madison vs North Dakota State (part deux)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

TheRevSFA
January 11th, 2020, 09:21 PM
Holy ****, you are my favorite SFA turd, we will take care of you up here to best of our ability.

I’m looking forward to it. Debating on bringing mrs rev. Not sure if she’ll actually go to the game but she wants to go up to ND. Might make a few days out of it.

Regardless, I’m there

POD Knows
January 11th, 2020, 09:23 PM
I’m looking forward to it. Debating on bringing mrs rev. Not sure if she’ll actually go to the game but she wants to go up to ND. Might make a few days out of it.

Regardless, I’m thereCool, we have to set something up nice you guys, glad to hear you are coming up here.

Chalupa Batman
January 11th, 2020, 09:24 PM
My hope is the NDSU coaching staff is ignoring Polk (https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/3929652/brandon-polk) as much as this thread has.

Do the Bison have a corner who can contain him 1:1, or do they need to commit safety help over the top? Dude is quick.Did Polk play today?

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

TheKingpin28
January 11th, 2020, 09:25 PM
Congrats to the Bison.

I hope all of the folks who went had a blast. I was sincerely sorry to miss since I’m still recovering but I plan to return next year.

Also, because POD misses me though he won’t admit it, I’ll be in Fargo for the Marker game.

Oh hello!

dewey
January 11th, 2020, 09:46 PM
Just terrible. Lance was was coming out of the huddle way too soo. Plus snapping the ball with 10-15 seconds left on the play clock is atrocious.

We were losing our minds about that. 2 straight plays where NDSU snapped it with 10 and 14 seconds as remaining on the play clock.

Dewey

dewey
January 11th, 2020, 11:03 PM
What an impressively classy move by JMU.

https://www.inforum.com/sports/football/4861349-JMU-sends-plane-back-to-rescue-Bison-team-stranded-on-Dallas-runway

Kudos to you Dukes.

Dewey

Chalupa Batman
January 11th, 2020, 11:09 PM
What an impressively classy move by JMU.

https://www.inforum.com/sports/football/4861349-JMU-sends-plane-back-to-rescue-Bison-team-stranded-on-Dallas-runway

Kudos to you Dukes.

DeweyIs it JMU's move or NCAA? They supply travel for playoffs. Regardless, hope both teams make it back safe.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Lorne_Malvo
January 11th, 2020, 11:29 PM
JMU had zero to do with it.

uni88
January 12th, 2020, 12:08 AM
Their QB isn't a pussy, he balled the entire game and is a starting QB at a top program in the FCS, he did a ****ty post game interview, that is two different deals. I am not going to question this guys manhood, he just needs to count to 10 in the presser.

Exactly. He's a 20-something year old who just lost in the national championship. Calling him out for a poor interview isn't any better than what he did.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Christiank22
January 12th, 2020, 12:38 AM
Exactly. He's a 20-something year old who just lost in the national championship. Calling him out for a poor interview isn't any better than what he did.

How come the rest of his team was respectful?

thebootfitter
January 12th, 2020, 12:53 AM

Sent from my XT1650 using TapatalkDisagree. Calling him out is appropriate. He is in that position (at the presser) because he earned it. He needs to show the respect expected of someone in that position or be called out for it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

uni88
January 12th, 2020, 12:56 AM
Disagree. Calling him out is appropriate. He is in that position (at the presser) because he earned it. He needs to show the respect expected of someone in that position or be called out for it.

And calling him a douche and a loser is appropriate? Respect is a two-way street, maybe people calling him a douche and a loser could show some respect too.

thebootfitter
January 12th, 2020, 01:58 AM
And calling him a douche and a loser is appropriate? Respect is a two-way street, maybe people calling him a douche and a loser could show some respect too.

Sent from my XT1650 using TapatalkOh, absolutely. I agree with you. Not everyone is calling him a douche and a loser. Some are just calling him out on his poor sportsmanship. That's what I was referring to when I said it was appropriate.

Absolutely cannot defend anyone calling him a douche or a loser. (Unless, of course, they mean "loser" literally. Because, well, he did lose today.)

caribbeanhen
January 12th, 2020, 05:55 AM
Based on what, we have 13,000 to 14,000 students up here, **** that noise, we are in ND, NORTH DA FREAKING KOTA, you guys need to step up.

North Da Freaking Kota has become a Mecca for college football, after you beat Oregon next year maybe somebody should start asking how ?

cx500d
January 12th, 2020, 06:07 AM
Upgraded to first class on a flight to DC loaded with sour-faced JMU fans. They all got to walk past me with my NDSU hat on...priceless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cx500d
January 12th, 2020, 06:12 AM
Congrats to the Bison.

I hope all of the folks who went had a blast. I was sincerely sorry to miss since I’m still recovering but I plan to return next year.

Also, because POD misses me though he won’t admit it, I’ll be in Fargo for the Marker game.

I saw a couple people yesterday at the game with SFA caps and coats on

DEX
January 12th, 2020, 06:30 AM
Congrats NDSU.

cx500d
January 12th, 2020, 06:31 AM
Congrats NDSU.

Dex, next season should be a good game. Come up and enjoy the tailgate hospitality.

TheRevSFA
January 12th, 2020, 08:03 AM
I saw a couple people yesterday at the game with SFA caps and coats on

coach Carthel took the entire staff to the game. He wants them to understand the end goal. I hope he can continue what he did at D2 up here

dewey
January 12th, 2020, 08:09 AM
What an awesome game and season.

Congratulations to James Madison on a very good season.

Dewey

Herdistheword
January 12th, 2020, 08:26 AM
Watched the pressers....Dinucci came off as a complete twat waffle. Rest was fine.

It was not a great leadership moment for him. I am always interested to see how team leaders handle defeat, especially on the big stage. Dinucci was obviously emotional and may not have realized how disrespectful his comments were to the other team. He basically undercut NDSU’s win several different ways. His other teammates were an absolute class act though and they should get some mad props for ignoring Dinucci’s inappropriate comments and keeping their composure.

BisonBacker
January 12th, 2020, 08:35 AM
Didn't watch it as I've heard negatives about both the coach and their QB in some of the comments. Figured I didn't need to hear it. But with that said I wasn't impressed with Entz at the end of the game basically running over and hardly shaking Cignetti's hand and immediately running off. I get that he want's to be with his team but dude you have to show some respect and that hardly was respectful. He should know better.

POD Knows
January 12th, 2020, 09:00 AM
North Da Freaking Kota has become a Mecca for college football, after you beat Oregon next year maybe somebody should start asking how ?They are asking how and I am sure a move up is on the radar but it is going to be a bigger job than most people think. I literally have no idea which conference would make sense and whether or no NDSU can even afford the move given the increases in travel and other things involved.

Hammerhead
January 12th, 2020, 09:16 AM
North Da Freaking Kota has become a Mecca for college football, after you beat Oregon next year maybe somebody should start asking how ?

Recruit players who buy into the team concept and then coach them into reaching their full potential. You'll notice that NDSU's championship teams have very few FBS transfers. I still think we signed Zeb Nolan from Iowa State just to make sure he didn't end up at SDSU.

DFW HOYA
January 12th, 2020, 09:25 AM
They are asking how and I am sure a move up is on the radar but it is going to be a bigger job than most people think. I literally have no idea which conference would make sense and whether or no NDSU can even afford the move given the increases in travel and other things involved.

The Mountain West is the only geographically viable option and the Fargodome isn't close to big enough. Much like Montana in its heyday, NDSU is a big fish in a small pond.

Schism55
January 12th, 2020, 09:57 AM
Upgraded to first class on a flight to DC loaded with sour-faced JMU fans. They all got to walk past me with my NDSU hat on...priceless

Not all heroes wear capes xsmiley_wix

Daytripper
January 12th, 2020, 10:09 AM
Holy ****, you are my favorite SFA turd, we will take care of you up here to best of our ability.

If I come up there too will I get similar treatment? Always wanted to go to a game in the Fargo Dome.

cx500d
January 12th, 2020, 10:12 AM
If I come up there too will I get similar treatment? Always wanted to go to a game in the Fargo Dome.
Absolutely

Derby City Duke
January 12th, 2020, 10:20 AM
Didn't watch it as I've heard negatives about both the coach and their QB in some of the comments. Figured I didn't need to hear it. But with that said I wasn't impressed with Entz at the end of the game basically running over and hardly shaking Cignetti's hand and immediately running off. I get that he want's to be with his team but dude you have to show some respect and that hardly was respectful. He should know better.

Wondered if I was the only one noticed that on tv. I was a little surprised but at the end of the day it wasn’t a big deal to me.

I’m not big on watching post-game pressers because everything is so fresh- it’s difficult on both sides. (easier for the winners for obvious reasons). I would venture to say if you went back to the ‘16 Fargodome game it might surprise you how the NDSU players acted. Maybe they were very complimentary, maybe they weren’t. Is what gets said that important? Not really.

Daytripper
January 12th, 2020, 10:20 AM
Awesome! If I go, just look for the guy in the Orange gear roaming the tailgates looking for an open bar.
https://media.giphy.com/media/xTkcERd7B5YBgvzaw0/giphy.gif

Christiank22
January 12th, 2020, 10:36 AM
Wondered if I was the only one noticed that on tv. I was a little surprised but at the end of the day it wasn’t a big deal to me.

I’m not big on watching post-game pressers because everything is so fresh- it’s difficult on both sides. (easier for the winners for obvious reasons). I would venture to say if you went back to the ‘16 Fargodome game it might surprise you how the NDSU players acted. Maybe they were very complimentary, maybe they weren’t. Is what gets said that important? Not really.

The ‘16 presser was nothing but praise for a good, well deserving Dukes team. Just because your Qb is an ass doesn’t mean everyone else is. It says a lot of character, and Dinucci has some things to work on in that department.

thebootfitter
January 12th, 2020, 10:40 AM

I’m not big on watching post-game pressers because everything is so fresh- it’s difficult on both sides. (easier for the winners for obvious reasons). I would venture to say if you went back to the ‘16 Fargodome game it might surprise you how the NDSU players acted. Maybe they were very complimentary, maybe they weren’t. Is what gets said that important? Not really.I watch most pressers. Talk like that stands out for sure. I don't believe you'll find any sour grapes after the Bison 2016 loss. I think you will find a lot of credit given to a great JMU team that played hard and earned the win.

POD Knows
January 12th, 2020, 10:43 AM
If I come up there too will I get similar treatment? Always wanted to go to a game in the Fargo Dome.Yes sir, absolutely.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 12th, 2020, 11:01 AM

I would really enjoy a politics debate with you when you come up here!

Redbird 4th & short
January 12th, 2020, 11:06 AM
So I was too lazy to update my FCS Keepers spreadsheet, but this was one of the original releases he put out in August. He may have since updated the numbers heading into the season. i don't believe he updates anything once season starts.

But this doesn't bode well for JMU 2020. On the other hand, I (and others) had figured NDSU would slip this year in regular season at least. Many of us were predicting 2 or 3 losses .. partly because of players lost but also because of coaching turnover.

So NDSU was 2nd to last in returning starters amd JMU was 4th in players returning.

Team
Conf
Off Starts
Rush
Pass
Rec
OL
Def Starts
DL
LB
DB
Total
Tot Starts
rank

James Madison
CAA
21%
27%
30%
77%

North Dakota State
MVFC
14%
17%
18%
49%

TheRevSFA
January 12th, 2020, 11:21 AM
Absolutely

agreed. NDSU guys are great in person.

Bison56
January 12th, 2020, 11:23 AM
As far as emotions go everybody can get carried away, even Coach Entz said he has to do better. It was a hard fought game to the end. Leading up to the game I am sure was stressful for both teams, and it all just comes out at the end as relief or frustration depending on which side of the outcome you are on.

Professor Chaos
January 12th, 2020, 12:26 PM
Back home and decompressing after a whirlwind of a few days so my stream of consciousness thoughts on the weekend:

Redzone efficiency was the difference in the game. JMU had to settle for 2 FGs and turned it over in the redzone. NDSU converted all their opportunities into TDs.
Trey Lance may have not been as no brainer of a MOP as most thought... James Hendricks made two of the three biggest plays in the game with the fake FG TD and the game sealing INT (Trey's long TD run on 3rd and 23 being the other).
While Trey Lance was a grown man who pretty much carried the team on his back running the ball but he still kind of looked like a freshman throwing the ball at times. That's the exciting thing for Bison fans and the scary thing for opposing fans is he can still get better when he improves his accuracy and the mental aspects of his game.
JMU has a hell of a team... I came into the game expecting Christian Watson and Phoenix Sproles to have big days catching the ball and JMU completely shut them down (only impact plays in the passing game from those two guys were DPI penalties drawn). That was a complete team JMU put out there and, despite their losses, I'd expect they'll remain national contenders for the forseeable future.
Had a bunch of really good experiences interacting with JMU fans in the Frisco area all weekend. Couldn't say the same thing two years but this year it was nothing but good people who were passionate about their team. I'd really like to see a regular season game scheduled between these two teams sometime... maybe a neutral-ish home and home where one game is in Washington DC and the other is in Minneapolis.
Like I said before I can't envision myself ever getting tired of seeing my team on that north stage of Toyota Stadium hoisting the trophy... I hope to see it again next year.

Professor
January 12th, 2020, 01:17 PM
Congrats to NDSU. I see another title in 2020

caribbeanhen
January 12th, 2020, 01:30 PM
Recruit players who buy into the team concept and then coach them into reaching their full potential. You'll notice that NDSU's championship teams have very few FBS transfers. I still think we signed Zeb Nolan from Iowa State just to make sure he didn't end up at SDSU.

no need for transfers when you can recruit a QB like Trey Lance and so many other great FBS like players over the years

uni88
January 12th, 2020, 02:11 PM
Oh, absolutely. I agree with you. Not everyone is calling him a douche and a loser. Some are just calling him out on his poor sportsmanship. That's what I was referring to when I said it was appropriate.

Absolutely cannot defend anyone calling him a douche or a loser. (Unless, of course, they mean "loser" literally. Because, well, he did lose today.)

:D We agree. I would add that one instance of poor sportsmanship does not make him a douche or a twat waffle. If he has a history of this then yes, those might be true. But an isolated case after an emotional loss shouldn't tar his reputation. It's a teachable moment and an opportunity for him to learn about himself and grow as a person. Personal growth is more important than national championships and part of what makes football and other sports awesome.

Hammerhead
January 12th, 2020, 03:09 PM
JMU had zero to do with it.

It sounds like the airplane didn't return to Dallas until after taking the JMU team to the east coast. It's not like they turned the plane around and JMU was cooling their heels at DFW while the Bison took their ride.
https://www.inforum.com/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/football/4861626-Mechanical-problem-delayed-NDSUs-flight-back-until-330-a.m.-Sunday-after-FCS-title-game

X-Factor
January 12th, 2020, 03:12 PM
They also graduate 4/5 starting OL...excepting Penei Sewell who just won the Outland Trophy and is an absolute stud.

Sometimes one OL is all you need

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200112/3d1f7ab301489739b76c857fa4751588.jpg

dewey
January 12th, 2020, 05:35 PM
Like I said before I can't envision myself ever getting tired of seeing my team on that north stage of Toyota Stadium hoisting the trophy... I hope to see it again next year.

AMEN! My voice is still gone from yesterday. I will never miss a National Championship game.

Dewey

TheRevSFA
January 12th, 2020, 06:35 PM
Find yourselves

https://gigapixel.panoramas.com/fcs/2020/

ming01
January 12th, 2020, 06:41 PM
NDSU JMU reg season game in Nashville.

caribbeanhen
January 12th, 2020, 06:57 PM
Find yourselves

that's pretty neat

TennBison
January 12th, 2020, 07:20 PM
Find yourselves

Holy cow I am one incredibly handsome man in panoramic view.

The Kicker
January 12th, 2020, 07:44 PM
Can't wait for Clemson vs LSU and hear all about the NFL playoffs and who they think will be in the Superbowl every break in the game and all of half time!

NDSUtk
January 12th, 2020, 08:20 PM
Back home and decompressing after a whirlwind of a few days so my stream of consciousness thoughts on the weekend:

Redzone efficiency was the difference in the game. JMU had to settle for 2 FGs and turned it over in the redzone. NDSU converted all their opportunities into TDs.
Trey Lance may have not been as no brainer of a MOP as most thought... James Hendricks made two of the three biggest plays in the game with the fake FG TD and the game sealing INT (Trey's long TD run on 3rd and 23 being the other).
While Trey Lance was a grown man who pretty much carried the team on his back running the ball but he still kind of looked like a freshman throwing the ball at times. That's the exciting thing for Bison fans and the scary thing for opposing fans is he can still get better when he improves his accuracy and the mental aspects of his game.
JMU has a hell of a team... I came into the game expecting Christian Watson and Phoenix Sproles to have big days catching the ball and JMU completely shut them down (only impact plays in the passing game from those two guys were DPI penalties drawn). That was a complete team JMU put out there and, despite their losses, I'd expect they'll remain national contenders for the forseeable future.
Had a bunch of really good experiences interacting with JMU fans in the Frisco area all weekend. Couldn't say the same thing two years but this year it was nothing but good people who were passionate about their team. I'd really like to see a regular season game scheduled between these two teams sometime... maybe a neutral-ish home and home where one game is in Washington DC and the other is in Minneapolis.

Better update your signature line :)

Gil Dobie
January 12th, 2020, 10:08 PM
Another record to shoot for. The Southern Conference has the most Championship game appearances 16. The MVFC is tied with the Big Sky at 14 appearances.

dewey
January 12th, 2020, 10:37 PM
Find yourselves

I found myself but the people in front of me were holding a flag up so neither my son or myself are visible.

Dewey

centennial
January 13th, 2020, 01:32 AM

Trey has trouble with the mental aspects. He is physically a little more gifted than Easton, maybe slightly better arm and slightly better running ability but the reading the field is weak. I don't know if y'all heard in the ISU presser when the coaches said they put too much on Trey. This is the classic NDSU system, go to the line and get the offense into the right play. A lot of times I think coaches are calling one run and one pass play. Wentz had the ability to kill the call and get into something else. Even Stick was doing it. As things stand now Trey cannot come close. At least on tape he seems to struggle with it.

Running the QB 30 times is super risky, that tells me Trey's backup might be almost as good. One bad hit and your ability to win the game goes to hell. Get Trey to the Manning QB academy like Easton. But really NDSU could easily run the Seahawks/ Ravens system of letting the play break down, along with weak side roll outs, bootlegs, option etc. If Trey cannot run NDSU's system fully then the coaches need to adapt instead of leaning so heavily on QB run.

R.A.
January 13th, 2020, 03:54 AM
Congratulations North Dakota State Bison on winning the 2020 Championship!

WeAreThePride
January 13th, 2020, 04:56 AM
Is it me or would the sideline commentary from Dekker be more awesome if they gave her a headset, put a steaming cup of hot chocolate in her right hand and had a blazing fire from a fireplace going in the background. I don't know, something about that stocking cap just sort of set the mood.
I had a thought more like her... um how do I put this. \

Her with no clothes on.

A&T AGGIE96
January 13th, 2020, 08:26 AM
Quick question....What do NDSU and JMU spend on athletics? To have a Div1 program takes cold hard cash...It's been my observation that in the NCAA to always be on top takes some pretty big budgets.

Gil Dobie
January 13th, 2020, 08:37 AM
Quick question....What do NDSU and JMU spend on athletics? To have a Div1 program takes cold hard cash...It's been my observation that in the NCAA to always be on top takes some pretty big budgets.

NDSU is around $24 million for 14 sports, JMU $51 million for 17 sports I believe.

NDSU Link (https://www.inforum.com/bison-media-zone/4626126-Bison-Inc.-At-NDSU-a-growing-athletic-department-makes-the-budget-work-on-a-yearly-basis)

A&T AGGIE96
January 13th, 2020, 09:14 AM
NDSU is around $24 million for 14 sports, JMU $51 million for 17 sports I believe.

NDSU Link (https://www.inforum.com/bison-media-zone/4626126-Bison-Inc.-At-NDSU-a-growing-athletic-department-makes-the-budget-work-on-a-yearly-basis)

Thanks for the information...Those are FBS budgets for sure...$25 and $50 million...wow !!

I can see why FBS schools in Virginia and around the south east avoid JMU. They got the money to compete with them and they don't want to lose to FCS programs.

that guy
January 13th, 2020, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the information...Those are FBS budgets for sure...$25 and $50 million...wow !!

I can see why FBS schools in Virginia and around the south east avoid JMU. They got the money to compete with them and they don't want to lose to FCS programs.
Isn't NC A&T considering moving up; what do they spend?

PurpleStreamers
January 13th, 2020, 10:00 AM

This is correct, but as always with the accounting there is some nuance. If you look closely, there are a ton of Virignia schools higher up on all of these lists (total budget, percentage of student fees, etc.) than one might normally expect. ODU and VCU are both right around JMU for example and even complete randos like Longwood and Radford end up some of these lists if you dig a little deeper. And a big part of that is the Commonwealth has much stricter rules about how it's public schools must report. Primarily, schools are absolutely forbidden from using money from general funds to cover anything for athletics, which means all the schools have to use a higher percentage of student fees AND, notably, be transparent about it. Also, not entirely sure if this is still the case, but for decades JMU has also included it's 425+ person marching band and all the spirit squads under Athletics, which many schools choose to report elsewhere.

Proudly, one of the cool things though is that JMU offers COA for every sport. That's how you win a Women's Lax national title and host super-regionals in softball against LSU and send a Men's soccer team to the Elite 8 all within a few years. It's certainly not in reach for every school, and remains to be seen if it can be sustainable at JMU, but it sure does make a whole lot more people buy into the narrative that football doesn't run the school instead of the other way around.

SUPharmacist
January 13th, 2020, 10:16 AM

$25 million would be bare bones for a complete athletic budget in FBS, but with NDSU's recent history I get the reluctance to schedule them. Is NC A&T bringing the band this fall?

Professor Chaos
January 13th, 2020, 10:18 AM
Trey has trouble with the mental aspects. He is physically a little more gifted than Easton, maybe slightly better arm and slightly better running ability but the reading the field is weak. I don't know if y'all heard in the ISU presser when the coaches said they put too much on Trey. This is the classic NDSU system, go to the line and get the offense into the right play. A lot of times I think coaches are calling one run and one pass play. Wentz had the ability to kill the call and get into something else. Even Stick was doing it. As things stand now Trey cannot come close. At least on tape he seems to struggle with it.

Running the QB 30 times is super risky, that tells me Trey's backup might be almost as good. One bad hit and your ability to win the game goes to hell. Get Trey to the Manning QB academy like Easton. But really NDSU could easily run the Seahawks/ Ravens system of letting the play break down, along with weak side roll outs, bootlegs, option etc. If Trey cannot run NDSU's system fully then the coaches need to adapt instead of leaning so heavily on QB run.
Agreed but remember he's a freshman. Remember what Stick looked like as a freshman when he came in for an injured Wentz? Pretty sure he had 20+ rushes in his first two starts. Entz said in the postgame that JMU hadn't seen a lot of QB run this year so they were ready to hammer it and there wasn't anything else to save Trey for. I'm pretty confident that this will be a career high for single game rush attempts for Lance. Get him another offseason to work with Hedberg and I think he'll progress on the mental aspects of the game similar to Stick. He's very likely going to get even better in 2020 and beyond.

WestCoastAggie
January 13th, 2020, 10:19 AM
This is correct, but as always with the accounting there is some nuance. If you look closely, there are a ton of Virignia schools higher up on all of these lists (total budget, percentage of student fees, etc.) than one might normally expect. ODU and VCU are both right around JMU for example and even complete randos like Longwood and Radford end up some of these lists if you dig a little deeper. And a big part of that is the Commonwealth has much stricter rules about how it's public schools must report. Primarily, schools are absolutely forbidden from using money from general funds to cover anything for athletics, which means all the schools have to use a higher percentage of student fees AND, notably, be transparent about it. Also, not entirely sure if this is still the case, but for decades JMU has also included it's 425+ person marching band and all the spirit squads under Athletics, which many schools choose to report elsewhere.

Proudly, one of the cool things though is that JMU offers COA for every sport. That's how you win a Women's Lax national title and host super-regionals in softball against LSU and send a Men's soccer team to the Elite 8 all within a few years. It's certainly not in reach for every school, and remains to be seen if it can be sustainable at JMU, but it sure does make a whole lot more people buy into the narrative that football doesn't run the school instead of the other way around.

Aren't you all supposed to reduce your percentage of student fees in the athletics budget? I know Norfolk had to reduce their student fees.

uni88
January 13th, 2020, 10:37 AM
Agreed but remember he's a freshman. Remember what Stick looked like as a freshman when he came in for an injured Wentz? Pretty sure he had 20+ rushes in his first two starts. Entz said in the postgame that JMU hadn't seen a lot of QB run this year so they were ready to hammer it and there wasn't anything else to save Trey for. I'm pretty confident that this will be a career high for single game rush attempts for Lance. Get him another offseason to work with Hedberg and I think he'll progress on the mental aspects of the game similar to Stick. He's very likely going to get even better in 2020 and beyond.

Based on the progress that NDSU QBs have made in the past, Hedberg is an excellent coach and it's scary to think about how much Lance could improve in the next few years.

A&T AGGIE96
January 13th, 2020, 10:51 AM
Isn't NC A&T considering moving up; what do they spend?

No, the Aggies aren't considering moving up! There are 7 FBS programs in NC. The market is saturated and our resources are limited. I'll have to check but as I recall it's between $12-$14 million.

I'm not happy being in the FCS...it's like sports "purgatory"...somewhere between big time sports and d2...but FBS is out of reach at the moment.

Derby City Duke
January 13th, 2020, 10:52 AM
Aren't you all supposed to reduce your percentage of student fees in the athletics budget? I know Norfolk had to reduce their student fees.

Short answer is yes -- I can't give you the longer answer because I don't remember the exact percentage cap or the date Virginia FCS schools must meet that cap.

A&T AGGIE96
January 13th, 2020, 10:57 AM
$25 million would be bare bones for a complete athletic budget in FBS, but with NDSU's recent history I get the reluctance to schedule them. Is NC A&T bringing the band this fall?

I very much doubt it. NDSU is in ND LOL ! This is a money game for us. We have traveled the band to money games...last year they were at Duke, and they went to the UNC Charlotte game. Those school are both in state and a couple hours away...but traveling the band to ND. That would cut too far into the bottom line. Y'all ain't paying enough for all that.

SUPharmacist
January 13th, 2020, 11:00 AM
I very much doubt it. NDSU is in ND LOL ! This is a money game for us. We have traveled the band to money games...last year they were at Duke, and they went to the UNC Charlotte game. Those school are both in state and a couple hours away...but traveling the band to ND. That would cut too far into the bottom line. Y'all ain't paying enough for all that.

Figured not, but had to ask.

TheKingpin28
January 13th, 2020, 11:01 AM
I very much doubt it. NDSU is in ND LOL ! This is a money game for us. We have traveled the band to money games...last year they were at Duke, and they went to the UNC Charlotte game. Those school are both in state and a couple hours away...but traveling the band to ND. That would cut too far into the bottom line. Y'all ain't paying enough for all that.We'll let you take the section of our band? Please?

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

A&T AGGIE96
January 13th, 2020, 11:01 AM
Short answer is yes -- I can't give you the longer answer because I don't remember the exact percentage cap or the date Virginia FCS schools must meet that cap.

That's going to put a real hurting on the small programs in Virginia...it almost seems targeted. The schools with the big booster programs and plenty of sponsorship have a built in advantage already...now it will get only tougher.

Professor Chaos
January 13th, 2020, 11:03 AM
Based on the progress that NDSU QBs have made in the past, Hedberg is an excellent coach and it's scary to think about how much Lance could improve in the next few years.
Randy Hedberg, along with head strength and conditioning coach Jim Kramer, are the unsung heroes that have kept this NDSU train rolling. I was surprised that Klieman didn't take Hedberg with him to K-State but Hedberg is now in his 60s, was born and raised in ND, and I think he's happy with his career and will ride out these last however many years he wants to coach at NDSU. We're very lucky to have him.

Bisonator
January 13th, 2020, 11:06 AM
Exactly. People forget he's a freshman. He's only going to get better.

Lorne_Malvo
January 13th, 2020, 11:06 AM
Randy Hedberg, along with head strength and conditioning coach Jim Kramer, and the unsung heroes that have kept this NDSU train rolling. I was surprised that Klieman didn't take Hedberg with him to K-State but Hedberg is now in his 60s, was born and raised in ND, and I think he's happy with his career and will ride out these last however many years he wants to coach at NDSU. We're very lucky to have him.

Same with Jim Kramer. He has had offers but is happy staying in Fargo. Thank you baby Jesus.

Derby City Duke
January 13th, 2020, 11:10 AM
That's going to put a real hurting on the small programs in Virginia...it almost seems targeted. The schools with the big booster programs and plenty of sponsorship have a built in advantage already...now it will get only tougher.

Many Virginia FCS schools (JMU included) don't have a large enough booster organization to provide more funding, so we're pretty much all in the same boat. I think we'll get better over the years -- we've only been sponsoring men's sports for about 45 years. Hopefully we'll get to the point where we have enough rich alums who are interested in assisting the funding of athletics as well as the university itself.

Lorne_Malvo
January 13th, 2020, 11:14 AM
Many Virginia FCS schools (JMU included) don't have a large enough booster organization to provide more funding, so we're pretty much all in the same boat. I think we'll get better over the years -- we've only been sponsoring men's sports for about 45 years. Hopefully we'll get to the point where we have enough rich alums who are interested in assisting the funding of athletics as well as the university itself.

Now that VA student fees are capped its going to be a little painful for some programs.

A&T AGGIE96
January 13th, 2020, 11:18 AM
We'll let you take the section of our band? Please?

Nah ! It's not got to be the BGMM xthumbsupx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwqWYjKcQCA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8JNdC57ucg&t=30s

Derby City Duke
January 13th, 2020, 12:32 PM
Now that VA student fees are capped its going to be a little painful for some programs.

Here is some of the text from HB 1897, which went into effect on July 1, 2016.

"School funds" means the direct and indirect financial support provided by the institution to any of its intercollegiate athletics programs. "School funds" includes state funds, tuition, tuition waivers, federal work awards for student athletes, administrative costs, facilities and grounds maintenance, security, risk management, utilities, and depreciation and debt services.

"Student fees" means any fees assessed by an institution against a student that are used to support any of the institution's intercollegiate athletics programs.

"Subsidy" means the sum of school funds and student fees.

"Subsidy percentage" means the subsidy divided by the athletics revenue, provided that revenues allocated to (i) support spirit groups associated with any intercollegiate athletics program, (ii) meet any indirect cost policy requirements, or (iii) debt service for previously approved intercollegiate athletics capital outlay projects may be excluded from the subsidy for the purposes of such calculation.

FCS schools in Virginia have until June 30, 2021 to meet the 70% subsidy threshold. It wasn't until I read the bill language did I fully understand what the subsidy consisted of for the schools. I had though the subsidy was strictly student fees, but now know that it also takes into account direct and indirect income from the university. As has been mentioned elsewhere, VA law prohibits use of any general fund $$ toward athletics.

I don't know what the short or long-term impacts will be, but it will be interesting to watch.

A&T AGGIE96
January 13th, 2020, 12:55 PM
Horrible news for Norfolk State...and just another reason for Virginia State not to join the MEAC. The powers that be won't be happy until we all drop football or drop out of Div1 altogether. I wish the FBS boys would go ahead and take there ball and move on...leave the rest of us alone. Small programs live off of student fees.

Lorne_Malvo
January 13th, 2020, 12:57 PM
Here is some of the text from HB 1897, which went into effect on July 1, 2016.

"School funds" means the direct and indirect financial support provided by the institution to any of its intercollegiate athletics programs. "School funds" includes state funds, tuition, tuition waivers, federal work awards for student athletes, administrative costs, facilities and grounds maintenance, security, risk management, utilities, and depreciation and debt services.

"Student fees" means any fees assessed by an institution against a student that are used to support any of the institution's intercollegiate athletics programs.

"Subsidy" means the sum of school funds and student fees.

"Subsidy percentage" means the subsidy divided by the athletics revenue, provided that revenues allocated to (i) support spirit groups associated with any intercollegiate athletics program, (ii) meet any indirect cost policy requirements, or (iii) debt service for previously approved intercollegiate athletics capital outlay projects may be excluded from the subsidy for the purposes of such calculation.

FCS schools in Virginia have until June 30, 2021 to meet the 70% subsidy threshold. It wasn't until I read the bill language did I fully understand what the subsidy consisted of for the schools. I had though the subsidy was strictly student fees, but now know that it also takes into account direct and indirect income from the university. As has been mentioned elsewhere, VA law prohibits use of any general fund $$ toward athletics.

I don't know what the short or long-term impacts will be, but it will be interesting to watch.

Your Governor passed new limits.

Derby City Duke
January 13th, 2020, 01:28 PM
Your Governor passed new limits.

I haven't lived in Virginia for any appreciable length of time for a long time so I'm not aware of any changes made to this original legislation. Maybe somebody out there can help bring me up to speed.

Professor
January 13th, 2020, 03:15 PM
Anyone know when the TV ratings come out

Professor Chaos
January 13th, 2020, 03:32 PM
Anyone know when the TV ratings come out
Tomorrow I believe at http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/the-sked/tvratings/darilyratingsreports

TheKingpin28
January 13th, 2020, 03:48 PM
Nah ! It's not got to be the BGMM xthumbsupx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwqWYjKcQCA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8JNdC57ucg&t=30sYou do not understand, we would like to hear good music at halftime.

A&T AGGIE96
January 13th, 2020, 09:18 PM
You do not understand, we would like to hear good music at halftime.

Some examples of the “good music” you would like to here.

What time of music do you guys typically here during halftime and in the stands.

TheKingpin28
January 14th, 2020, 06:41 AM
Some examples of the “good music” you would like to here.

What time of music do you guys typically here during halftime and in the stands.Our band sounds average at best. I'd be down for just about any kind, as long as it has rhythm and movement. Our "halftime show" is when everyone leaves to go to the bathroom or to grab something to eat/drink.

X-Factor
January 14th, 2020, 07:17 AM
The powers that be won't be happy until we all drop football or drop out of Div1 altogether. I wish the FBS boys would go ahead and take there ball and move on...leave the rest of us alone. Small programs live off of student fees.

Since when is the primary reason for attending college NOT to get an education in order to obtain a career path improvement?? Now you want the future generation to almost completely pay for your 2020 football entertainment in the form of 7% interest payments over the next 20 years? What am I missing here?? I honestly feel like there has to be something. To me 70% seems far too lenient

Professor
January 14th, 2020, 08:35 AM
Tomorrow I believe at http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/the-sked/tvratings/darilyratingsreports

Cool. I didn't see them yet. will be patient

Nor Eastern
January 14th, 2020, 09:39 AM
FCS Championship Game: 2.6 Million - 1.76 Rating

Celebration Bowl: 1.8 Million - 1.2 Rating

Professor Chaos
January 14th, 2020, 10:06 AM

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/skedball-weekly-sports-tv-ratings-1-6-1-12-2020.html

To be fair the Celebration Bowl had a lot more competition with NFL regular season and bowl games going on at the same time that the FCS Championship didn't have.

Still a good number for this game... hopefully that means they keep it on ABC going forward. It beat major college basketball games on CBS and FOX that started at the same time.

Panther88
January 14th, 2020, 10:23 AM
Cool. I didn't see them yet. will be patient

The #s are out. The fcs title game had a 1.76 rating. Looks like the fcs handlers finally made a good decision by having the fcs title game as the only show in town not competing head-to-head w/ the nfl, nba, ncaa basketball games, or other ncaa football games (bowl games).

Initially, I questioned if the fcs title game would do well w/ the viewing community of texas because texas IS Big XII and SEC country exclusively and the SWAC and SLC try to squeeze in (notoriety) where they can. The talk of the state was the pending LSU/Clemson game, not the D-III title game hosted in TWs or the D-I FCS title game hosted in frisco.

A&T AGGIE96
January 14th, 2020, 10:30 AM

Now that’s a good number...ABC gives a viewership boost for sure.

Silenoz
January 14th, 2020, 11:53 AM
How?? Exactly???? Griz suck!
lol, just noticed the negative rep and insults. You're a douchebag little baby. Congrats to the every other Bison fan on the decade's dominance.

(apologies to the mods for all of it, I'm done)

Lorne_Malvo
January 14th, 2020, 12:03 PM
lol, just noticed the negative rep and insults. You're a douchebag little baby. Congrats to the every other Bison fan on the decade's dominance.

Meh dont take it so seriously. Its just the internet.

AmsterBison
January 14th, 2020, 12:07 PM
Now that’s a good number...ABC gives a viewership boost for sure.

With that day, time slot, and network, I think the championship game would get good ratings no matter what teams are involved. Hopefully, they keep doing this.

uni88
January 14th, 2020, 12:08 PM
Meh dont take it so seriously. Its just the internet.

It is but neg repping is a wimp move. If we're going to call out a college kid for not being respectful immediately after losing the biggest game of his life than we should be calling someone who neg reps someone what they are ... a twat waffle douche. :D

Professor
January 14th, 2020, 12:14 PM

Good number. That should mean it will stay on ABC and not go back to ESPN 2

Winterborn
January 14th, 2020, 12:14 PM
It is but neg repping is a wimp move. If we're going to call out a college kid for not being respectful immediately after losing the biggest game of his life than we should be calling someone who neg reps someone what they are ... a twat waffle douche. :D

And now I can't eat waffles till I get that picture out of my head. xwavex

PurpleStreamers
January 14th, 2020, 12:17 PM
With that day, time slot, and network, I think the championship game would get good ratings no matter what teams are involved. Hopefully, they keep doing this.

Not hating, just not sure I agree. Really feels like NDSU as a state flagship and a known brand at this point gets so many more viewers than most any other FCS school. The JMU brand helps a lot too and the building of a rivalry. In other words, people know they're likely to get exactly the kind of quality product they did on Saturday when you know that is the matchup.

No doubt at all that ABC was the biggest factor in moving the needle. And I concede the timeslot/lack of competition helps too, but as a fan who's been to all four of JMU's title games, I know which one I preferred. And it wasn't any of the 11 a.m. Frisco games. Bottom line, 11 a.m. local isn't changing, but that timeslot will continue to be a kick in the teeth to the real fans and it's too bad we couldn't ever get a great matchup like this one on a Friday night again just to compare again in the NDSU era.

IBleedYellow
January 14th, 2020, 12:33 PM
I'm glad that the Celebration Bowl did well on ABC where ESPN thought it would be valuable to move the FCS Title game to ABC as well.

FargoBison
January 14th, 2020, 06:35 PM
I think ESPN may keep on expanding things as far as the playoffs are concerned....These games are getting good ratings and it is content the network is getting at a value since it is bundled in a giant NCAA championship package.

TennBison
January 14th, 2020, 08:09 PM
Not hating, just not sure I agree. Really feels like NDSU as a state flagship and a known brand at this point gets so many more viewers than most any other FCS school. The JMU brand helps a lot too and the building of a rivalry. In other words, people know they're likely to get exactly the kind of quality product they did on Saturday when you know that is the matchup.

No doubt at all that ABC was the biggest factor in moving the needle. And I concede the timeslot/lack of competition helps too, but as a fan who's been to all four of JMU's title games, I know which one I preferred. And it wasn't any of the 11 a.m. Frisco games. Bottom line, 11 a.m. local isn't changing, but that timeslot will continue to be a kick in the teeth to the real fans and it's too bad we couldn't ever get a great matchup like this one on a Friday night again just to compare again in the NDSU era.
If the game was 3:30 AM on a Tuesday morning I would be there having fun. Happy that my team was there and not complaining about the start time.

Prime Power
January 14th, 2020, 10:56 PM

Waaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh....you deserved it.

uni88
January 15th, 2020, 04:13 PM
Waaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh....you deserved it.

I thought about neg repping this but then I remembered that neg repping is for twat waffle douches.

xlolx

cx500d
January 15th, 2020, 04:37 PM

Are you going to be offended if I don't "Like" your post?

cx500d
January 15th, 2020, 04:39 PM
If the game was 3:30 AM on a Tuesday morning I would be there having fun. Happy that my team was there and not complaining about the start time.
Nice seeing you at the tailgate and across the aisle from us.

uni88
January 15th, 2020, 04:51 PM
Are you going to be offended if I don't "Like" your post?

Nope.

cx500d
January 15th, 2020, 04:57 PM
Nope.
The way you were talking I thought you were a facebook snowflake

uni88
January 15th, 2020, 05:04 PM
The way you were talking I thought you were a facebook snowflake

I just reused some of the words of the snowflakes that were offended when DeNucci wasn't respectful in the postgame interview.

Gil Dobie
January 15th, 2020, 05:59 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d7/8d/d5/d78dd5851b4bb3664b0fe411d44b1ed2.jpg

centennial
January 16th, 2020, 12:31 AM

Wasn't JMU a female dominant teaching college? Or am I thinking about another school. Do you have a law, medicine, engineering, pharmacy, and research dominant facilities? That's how most of these schools get big donors and endowments. JMU's endowment is 474 in the nation. By those numbers you are way overextended already. Most of your peers spend $10 million on athletics, most of them DII.

St. Edward’s University
TX

University of California Santa Cruz Foundation
CA

James Madison University Foundation, Inc.
VA

Luther Seminary
MN

Middle Tennessee State University

TN

Derby City Duke
January 16th, 2020, 07:01 AM
Wasn't JMU a female dominant teaching college? Or am I thinking about another school. Do you have a law, medicine, engineering, pharmacy, and research dominant facilities? That's how most of these schools get big donors and endowments. JMU's endowment is 474 in the nation. By those numbers you are way overextended already. Most of your peers spend $10 million on athletics, most of them DII.

Yes; it began at the State Normal and Industrial School for Women at Harrisonburg, became the State Teachers College at Harrisonburg in '24, Madison College in '38, and was renamed James Madison University in '77.

Without the column headers, I don't know what those #s mean. JMU recently added its School of Engineering, but I believe it still only offers general engineering degrees -- no specialization.

I do not follow the school closely enough to know anything about its endowment (assume that what the numbers you gave me address) or what research is done there. I do know they bought the hospital adjacent to campus a few years ago, but have no idea what they are doing with it.

The enrollment is north of 21K. When I attended, there was around 8,500 student; heck, my graduating class had less than 2K in it. I graduated, went to the Army and my sole connection back to the school is through following athletics from afar. Haven't been to a football game there since '94 and have only seen 2 games in person since then ('11 playoff game @ EKU, '16 NC game vs. YSU). I've been back for 1 men's and 1 women's basketball game, though I've seen them play a handful of times when they've come to this part of the country. Not that interested in driving 8-9 hours to watch a football game.

PurpleStreamers
January 16th, 2020, 10:19 AM

Yes, endowment and giving remain an issue relative to JMU's current size, but you're seriously cherry-picking stats here. JMU has always been undergrad-focused which yes, hurts the donor-pool and fundraising potential relative to Carnegie R1's. But its "peers" are not based on endowment alone, and at least according to Virginia's State Council on Higher Ed include App. St., BC, UNI, UNCW, Baylor, Charleston, TCU, Alabama, etc.

The most important items in terms of long-term growth and potential for JMU remain that a) as Derby said, it's only gone from under 10k enrollment (of mostly teachers and academically-mediocre-at-best-guys of which I am one) to over 20k (increasingly selective) enrollment in the last twenty years and b) more than half of its students now come from the richest counties in the country. In fact, the two most-represented counties at JMU, Fairfax and Loudoun County, VA, are 1 and 2 in the nation by most measures. As Business and Health Care are finally passing teaching and liberal arts as leading student focuses, the profile of our maturing alumni base is just beginning to look like those of more well-endowed institutions and seems likely to continue improving as really our first batch of hardcore business and IT folks are now hitting their forties.

citdog
January 16th, 2020, 12:22 PM
Yes; it began at the State Normal and Industrial School for Women at Harrisonburg, became the State Teachers College at Harrisonburg in '24, Madison College in '38, and was renamed James Madison University in '77.

Without the column headers, I don't know what those #s mean. JMU recently added its School of Engineering, but I believe it still only offers general engineering degrees -- no specialization.

I do not follow the school closely enough to know anything about its endowment (assume that what the numbers you gave me address) or what research is done there. I do know they bought the hospital adjacent to campus a few years ago, but have no idea what they are doing with it.

The enrollment is north of 21K. When I attended, there was around 8,500 student; heck, my graduating class had less than 2K in it. I graduated, went to the Army and my sole connection back to the school is through following athletics from afar. Haven't been to a football game there since '94 and have only seen 2 games in person since then ('11 playoff game @ EKU, '16 NC game vs. YSU). I've been back for 1 men's and 1 women's basketball game, though I've seen them play a handful of times when they've come to this part of the country. Not that interested in driving 8-9 hours to watch a football game.

It's odd that one valley would have two schools for women. JMU and VMI xnodx

cx500d
January 16th, 2020, 04:43 PM
Yes, endowment and giving remain an issue relative to JMU's current size, but you're seriously cherry-picking stats here. JMU has always been undergrad-focused which yes, hurts the donor-pool and fundraising potential relative to Carnegie R1's. But its "peers" are not based on endowment alone, and at least according to Virginia's State Council on Higher Ed include App. St., BC, UNI, UNCW, Baylor, Charleston, TCU, Alabama, etc.

The most important items in terms of long-term growth and potential for JMU remain that a) as Derby said, it's only gone from under 10k enrollment (of mostly teachers and academically-mediocre-at-best-guys of which I am one) to over 20k (increasingly selective) enrollment in the last twenty years and b) more than half of its students now come from the richest counties in the country. In fact, the two most-represented counties at JMU, Fairfax and Loudoun County, VA, are 1 and 2 in the nation by most measures. As Business and Health Care are finally passing teaching and liberal arts as leading student focuses, the profile of our maturing alumni base is just beginning to look like those of more well-endowed institutions and seems likely to continue improving as really our first batch of hardcore business and IT folks are now hitting their forties.

We are well endowed

cx500d
January 16th, 2020, 04:45 PM
It's odd that one valley would have two schools for women. JMU and VMI xnodx

You left out Tubman & Faulkner

Redbird 4th & short
January 16th, 2020, 05:37 PM

interesting how you stole our name .. ISU also was originally a Teachers college and founded in 1857 as Illinois State Normal University .. smart move not also taking the Illinois part of name, that would have been confusing.

You'll be hearing from our attorneys .. or we can just settle this now if you give us your Natty trophy ??

xtroublex

Derby City Duke
January 16th, 2020, 08:00 PM
interesting how you stole our name .. ISU also was originally a Teachers college and founded in 1857 as Illinois State Normal University .. smart move not also taking the Illinois part of name, that would have been confusing.

You'll be hearing from our attorneys .. or we can just settle this now if you give us your Natty trophy ??

xtroublex

Lawyer up! :D

We'll give you another runner-up trophy so you have an even #...

centennial
January 17th, 2020, 07:03 AM

The numbers indicate $105 million as endowment. It was $99 million the last time they measured it.

That college list has some peers and some outliers. TCU has $1.5 billion endowment, it's a Big 12 school. Similarly Baylor is $1.3 billion endowment. JMU is a growing college without big donors and big pockets. By the definition we used when we were in school, it barely classifies as a full university. Hopefully that changes 15 years from now. As far as your athletic budget is concerned, it is at least 2-3x the size it should be. JMU is already at a mid G5 level in funding. The problem comes from Virginia state law. JMU will need to decrease to probably ODU levels, at that point student funding goes down 15%. Without over the top student fees JMU would be a low FCS or a high DII school. If I remember from 2 years ago, it used to be around 2k per student using creative accounting.

These numbers are not defensible in my position. It took me 8 years of being an engineer to pay back my out of state NDSU loans. If that got increased to 9 because NDSU could be FBS I probably wouldn't have been happy.

Redbird 4th & short
January 17th, 2020, 01:23 PM
Lawyer up! :D

We'll give you another runner-up trophy so you have an even #...

Ok ... I got a decent counter offer at least. Let me run this by my people.

KPSUL
January 18th, 2020, 05:37 PM
The numbers indicate $105 million as endowment. It was $99 million the last time they measured it.

That college list has some peers and some outliers. TCU has $1.5 billion endowment, it's a Big 12 school. Similarly Baylor is $1.3 billion endowment. JMU is a growing college without big donors and big pockets. By the definition we used when we were in school, it barely classifies as a full university. Hopefully that changes 15 years from now. As far as your athletic budget is concerned, it is at least 2-3x the size it should be. JMU is already at a mid G5 level in funding. The problem comes from Virginia state law. JMU will need to decrease to probably ODU levels, at that point student funding goes down 15%. Without over the top student fees JMU would be a low FCS or a high DII school. If I remember from 2 years ago, it used to be around 2k per student using creative accounting.

These numbers are not defensible in my position. It took me 8 years of being an engineer to pay back my out of state NDSU loans. If that got increased to 9 because NDSU could be FBS I probably wouldn't have been happy.

Really, why do you care whether or not JMU has a college of Engineering, Law or Medicine; or how big their endowment is? The whole discussion is a petty, futile attempt to disparage an excellent football program. Obviously , you've never been anywhere near the JMU campus - to argue that they aren't substantial enough to have a FCS football team is ridiculous.

centennial
January 20th, 2020, 02:34 AM
Really, why do you care whether or not JMU has a college of Engineering, Law or Medicine; or how big their endowment is? The whole discussion is a petty, futile attempt to disparage an excellent football program. Obviously , you've never been anywhere near the JMU campus - to argue that they aren't substantial enough to have a FCS football team is ridiculous.

Who said anything about JMU's football program? They are a top football program in the FCS. The discussion started with how Virginia's own legislators are concerned about the large student funded athletics. They themselves made laws against it. The spending at JMU is disproportionate to it's academic and endowment peers. You are probably much older than I am, try being in this economy with huge student loan debts. An extra $8000 over 4 years plus interest is quite a bit of money. Anything that schools can do to lessen the load is probably good. I was in the student government at NDSU and know how hard it is for the school to increase funding from the student body. JMU could easily still be a top spender in the FCS and half their expenditure. Their MBB is also poor for the amount of money they spend.

Also get off your high horse. You aren't the thought police, I can think whatever I want. Try paying back student loans when you don't have enough money for your car and rent payments. Kids go to school to get an education, not to fund over bloated athletic programs.

cx500d
January 20th, 2020, 10:54 AM
Who said anything about JMU's football program? They are a top football program in the FCS. The discussion started with how Virginia's own legislators are concerned about the large student funded athletics. They themselves made laws against it. The spending at JMU is disproportionate to it's academic and endowment peers. You are probably much older than I am, try being in this economy with huge student loan debts. An extra $8000 over 4 years plus interest is quite a bit of money. Anything that schools can do to lessen the load is probably good. I was in the student government at NDSU and know how hard it is for the school to increase funding from the student body. JMU could easily still be a top spender in the FCS and half their expenditure. Their MBB is also poor for the amount of money they spend.

Also get off your high horse. You aren't the thought police, I can think whatever I want. Try paying back student loans when you don't have enough money for your car and rent payments. Kids go to school to get an education, not to fund over bloated athletic programs.

Get a cheaper car or use public transport....Get a cheaper place to live.... Get rid of the cell phone, cable TV, Hulu, Sirius XM, etc etc, get a degree that has a positive ROI. People whine about student loans, but they waste a lot of money on other ****. They incurred the debt, deal with it.

centennial
January 20th, 2020, 12:53 PM
Get a cheaper car or use public transport....Get a cheaper place to live.... Get rid of the cell phone, cable TV, Hulu, Sirius XM, etc etc, get a degree that has a positive ROI. People whine about student loans, but they waste a lot of money on other ****. They incurred the debt, deal with it.

I have zero debt and drive a $5k car bought in cash. I also make more than enough money seeing I am an engineer. Thanks for the advice.

cx500d
January 20th, 2020, 01:45 PM
I have zero debt and drive a $5k car bought in cash. I also make more than enough money seeing I am an engineer. Thanks for the advice.
Then you should have no issue paying back any loans.

KPSUL
January 20th, 2020, 02:07 PM

​Get off your high horse!!!31338

dewey
January 20th, 2020, 02:16 PM

As an engineer myself engineering is a great degree. The problem that is being discussed is the student fees associated with athletics.

I personally see it as the student has the choice of school they pick.

Dewey

TheKingpin28
January 20th, 2020, 02:33 PM
As an engineer myself engineering is a great degree. The problem that is being discussed is the student fees associated with athletics.

DeweyThis.

Do not take on more debt than you can take. It's not my fault when someone takes on more debt than they can handle. Not having large student fees helped me to decide going to NDSU, as well as, living within my means.

caribbeanhen
January 20th, 2020, 02:56 PM
Then you should have no issue paying back any loans.

he could of joined the Navy, you military guys are some of richest mother ****ers on AGS....

Bisonoline
January 20th, 2020, 03:22 PM
he could of joined the Navy, you military guys are some of richest mother ****ers on AGS....

:D:D:D:D

cx500d
January 20th, 2020, 04:14 PM

I had some student loans when I graduated. I joined the military, and took advantage of a 2-year interest deferment for being in the military. I scrimped and saved, ate PBJ's for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and saved all my perdiem from long ass deployments and paid off my student loans within the 2 year interest-free deferment for face value, no interest...Where there's a will, there's a way.

caribbeanhen
January 20th, 2020, 04:44 PM
I had some student loans when I graduated. I joined the military, and took advantage of a 2-year interest deferment for being in the military. I scrimped and saved, ate PBJ's for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and saved all my perdiem from long ass deployments and paid off my student loans within the 2 year interest-free deferment for face value, no interest...Where there's a will, there's a way.

all of this and had fun doing it.

X-Factor
January 20th, 2020, 06:50 PM

Dewey

That is a poor perspective. Even the most forward looking intelligent high school senior will likely never dig into the specifics of the tuition prior to applying. It’s not whether the sum of the parts produces a positive ROI (such is typical for engineering degrees), but the fact there is excessive negative drain from unnecessary spending. Unlike free market capitalism, there is no feedback loop to force students to pay less, only larger and larger loans backed by Uncle Sam. THIS is the point centennial is getting from what I can tell. Think of it like Total Factor Productivity (TFP) in economics. Remove the excessive athletics spending and you have a more productive alumni base.

cx500d
January 20th, 2020, 06:53 PM
That is a poor perspective. Even the most forward looking intelligent high school senior will likely never dig into the specifics of the tuition prior to applying. It’s not whether the sum of the parts produces a positive ROI (such is typical for engineering degrees), but the fact there is excessive negative drain from unnecessary spending. Unlike free market capitalism, there is no feedback loop to force students to pay less, only larger and larger loans backed by Uncle Sam. THIS is the point centennial is getting from what I can tell. Think of it like Total Factor Productivity (TFP) in economics. Remove the excessive athletics spending and you have a more productive alumni base.

If they don't, its because they don't appreciate the $. I sure as hell compared the costs of various schools, to include tuition, R&B, and fees. If they don't, they get what they deserve.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 20th, 2020, 10:36 PM

Not true.

I looked at tuition, room/board and compared. My girls did also and so did their friends that went to college.

If a kid doesn't do it then they are not to smart.

Hammerhead
January 22nd, 2020, 08:51 PM
I looked into tuition before I started college in 1986 and lived at home to avoid taking out any loans since I knew my wages at the time would cover tuition and some beer money.

X-Factor
January 23rd, 2020, 08:51 AM
Not true.

I looked at tuition, room/board and compared. My girls did also and so did their friends that went to college.

If a kid doesn't do it then they are not to smart.

That’s not even what I said. I was referring to the specifics of tuition and what it pays. Most of the population going to college will not be performing that level of analysis. Of course most students will have an idea of the overall price for tuition.

Redbird 4th & short
January 23rd, 2020, 09:32 AM
That’s not even what I said. I was referring to the specifics of tuition and what it pays. Most of the population going to college will not be performing that level of analysis. Of course most students will have an idea of the overall price for tuition.

I agree with X Factor ... while some might dig into specifics, most will look at total tuition & fees .. total per year or per credit, and compare that from school to school. To break down what is or isn't included in Fees vs Tuition would probably not be the norm for most HS students ... even the smart responsible ones.

That said, X Factor still has just 5 Nattys in his signature block ... so he might not be the one to set the bar ...xdrunkyx

Winterborn
January 25th, 2020, 02:29 PM

I did. I knew where every red cent was going to and who it was going to. I had been saving for a couple of years to help defer me taking out student loans and went to a community college for my generals because I could pay that in full.

TennBison
January 26th, 2020, 07:52 AM
Just because you didn't do it does not mean that most people don't. Why you feel like the majority of students (or their family) do not look into such things is just dumb.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 26th, 2020, 09:02 AM

Yes you did.

With how expense a college degree is now, if a potential student and their parents do not look at tuition and all associated costs then they are not doing their due diligence.