PDA

View Full Version : Best College 3-point shooters of all time

AppGuy04
May 25th, 2007, 03:33 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;_ylt=AiqFmmRXGd5AGpSDoUo_2MDevbYF?slug=rivals-127759&prov=rivals&type=lgns

spelunker64
May 25th, 2007, 03:35 PM
I've heard of 3 of them...

Reddick, Rice, Houston

Gil Dobie
May 25th, 2007, 03:40 PM

I'm showing my age, I've heard of most of them. :(

Eyes of Old Main
May 25th, 2007, 06:46 PM
I remember all of them and the list is pretty good. Rodney Monroe is too low, though.

dbackjon
May 25th, 2007, 06:56 PM
He does have one stat wrong - J.J. Redick does not have the most 3-point attempts - Kendrea Clark from St. Peter's took 1192 (made 437)

dbackjon
May 25th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Also needing qualifying is Tony Bennett's record - that is the record with 200 made, minimum. The REAL record has a 300 made minimum.

This record is held by, and should be considered one of the top 5 of all time - NAU's Ross Land. Ross hit 308 of 664 for the Lumberjacks, leading NAU to 3 20-win seasons, and two NCAA tournament appearances.

goasu984Life
May 25th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Dennis Scott and Rodney Monroe were two of the most deadly three-point shooters that I actually saw live and in person. When they got hot, they were unstoppable.

Mr. C
May 25th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Pete Maravich would have blown them all away, if they had instituted the three-point lane when he played.

Gil Dobie
May 25th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Pete Maravich would have blown them all away, if they had instituted the three-point lane when he played.

Many great outside shooters prior to the 3-Point shot.

NoSpinZone
May 25th, 2007, 08:11 PM
I'm showing my age as well. The only one I wasn't familiar with in college or the NBA was Tony Bennett. Monroe was underrated, I knew of him mainly because Corchiani broke the highly publicized NCAA record for 1000 assist mainly for just throwing him the ball 10 feet away on the perimeter. "Fire and ice" I recall. Wonder who was the talent in that pairing.

I think I would have got most of that list. The only one I would have probably said off the top of my head not on the list was another ACC guy in Donald Williams who I recall tearing it up in the final 4 one year and his role stuck on the brain.

I would have said Rice and Scott more from what I recalled in the NBA, Staples I recalled had the record when Redick broke it. I would have also said

Steve Kerr

quick check shows (114-199 57% in college the only year they had a 3 point line! that he played)

How the heck did he not make honorable mention or something. It's not his fault he set the standard in year #1. 57% Gezz.

goasu984Life
May 25th, 2007, 08:52 PM

Maravich was probably the best college scorer of all time. There is no telling how many points he would have had if there had been a three-point line back then.

Mr. C
May 25th, 2007, 11:49 PM

And none better than Maravich, who still holds the record for NCAA scoring per game for a season and a career.

seantaylor
May 26th, 2007, 01:00 AM
No better pure shooter than Redick. Kid was absolutely money from anywhere over half court.

I Bleed Purple
May 26th, 2007, 03:05 AM
List is packed with the "Big 6" conferences. Erroneous. Best three point shooters more than half the time come from other conferences.

appfan2008
May 26th, 2007, 08:15 AM
trajan langdon from duke was pretty darn good too

AZGrizFan
May 26th, 2007, 09:47 AM

Reddick, Rice, Houston

Don't watch much college basketball, eh? xcoolx xeyebrowx

Mr. C
May 26th, 2007, 10:50 AM
No better pure shooter than Redick. Kid was absolutely money from anywhere over half court.

You don't get out much, do you? There have been plenty of shooters better than Redick. He is prone to being extremely streaky. He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn of a good chunk of his final year at Duke.

AppGuy04
May 26th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Redick also had trouble creating his own shot. 90% of his shots came off screens

ucdtim17
May 26th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Maravich was probably the best college scorer of all time. There is no telling how many points he would have had if there had been a three-point line back then.

and a shot clock. Same goes for Austin Carr at ND - 34.6 ppg for his career I think

Gil Dobie
May 26th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Also needing qualifying is Tony Bennett's record - that is the record with 200 made, minimum. The REAL record has a 300 made minimum.

This record is held by, and should be considered one of the top 5 of all time - NAU's Ross Land. Ross hit 308 of 664 for the Lumberjacks, leading NAU to 3 20-win seasons, and two NCAA tournament appearances.

What was Steve Sir's record at NAU?

Go...gate
May 27th, 2007, 03:58 PM

Jerry West
Louie Dampier
Billy Keller
Bill Bradley
Rick Barry
Pete Maravich
Larry Bird
Jerry Lucas
Dave DeBusschere
Paul Arizin
Frank Ramsey

and many more....

Eyes of Old Main
May 27th, 2007, 04:05 PM
List is packed with the "Big 6" conferences. Erroneous. Best three point shooters more than half the time come from other conferences.

Very true. Plenty of great shooters get passed over due to lack of size or whatever reason and do very well for themselves in the smaller conferences.

For example, I'd take Ian Chadwick from Wofford over some on that list, but as good as he was, no way he'd make a national list like that due to Wofford's size and the SoCon's general level of basketball.

dbackjon
May 27th, 2007, 04:11 PM
What was Steve Sir's record at NAU?

Senior year he was 124-253 49% from 3-point land. Finished career with 323-688, for 46.9%, which is higher than Ross Land's - so he will take over the top spot for that.

chantster
May 27th, 2007, 09:16 PM
And none better than Maravich, who still holds the record for NCAA scoring per game for a season and a career.

I agree. Best shooter, passer I have ever seen.

The best pure shooter I have ever seen was Rick Mount for Purdue. He was slow, and skinny, but could shoot lights out, averaging over 30 ppg.
All his shots were beyond the arc, but there was no three line when he played.

Guy is so good, he has his own shooting school.

spelunker64
May 29th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Don't watch much college basketball, eh? xcoolx xeyebrowx

I only watch March Maddness... NBA has been ruined for me and I really don't care about any college teams. xrolleyesx

Sure I keep up with the Bison...

GannonFan
May 29th, 2007, 12:43 PM

Reddick, Rice, Houston

Yikes - the 3 pt shot has only been in place for the past 20 years so it's not like this list goes back very far - how young are you?????

spelunker64
May 29th, 2007, 12:45 PM
28, see post 25

bluehenbillk
May 29th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Yikes, where is Gerry "Fear the White Man" MacNamara & Steve Alford. I thought Steve Kerr too...

Wesley Person, what a joke, that waste of talent was with the Cavs when I was in Cleveland.

GannonFan
May 29th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Yikes, where is Gerry "Fear the White Man" MacNamara & Steve Alford. I thought Steve Kerr too...

Wesley Person, what a joke, that waste of talent was with the Cavs when I was in Cleveland.

Alford's first two (three?) years at Indiana were before they had the 3pt line - add him to the list of guys who would've been on the list had the line existed in their day.

NE MT GRIZZ
May 29th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Jeff Fryer of Loyola Marymount was fun to watch.
I remember he hit 11 3's and scored 45 as Loyola pasted Michigan 145-115