PDA

View Full Version : Celebration Bowl is about more than football for A&T

Pages : 1 [2]

cx500d
January 3rd, 2020, 07:16 PM
Cheer team travel is paid for by the NCAA... the band is not. The NCAA does require that host schools provide free seating for the visiting team's band if they choose the bring them.

I'd be curious to read that article where Towson's AD claimed they lost $50k because they traveled 3 times (looks like Prof's link is now dead). Like ursus and oline mentioned there's no reason for visiting schools to lose money in the playoffs since the NCAA pays for travel for the team, coaches, and essential support staff (I believe the "travel party" is in the 110 range). The only possibility where schools can lose money in the playoffs is if they host and can't hit the minimum financial guarantee (but I think that's rarely a problem outside of the worst attended games of the first round) or if they decide to send their band and pay for it.
I think at best they might have had 200 fans in Frisco.

Bisonoline
January 3rd, 2020, 07:23 PM
I think at best they might have had 200 fans in Frisco.

Yeah they sure didnt have many.

A&T AGGIE96
January 4th, 2020, 01:46 PM
Cheer team travel is paid for by the NCAA... the band is not. The NCAA does require that host schools provide free seating for the visiting team's band if they choose the bring them.

I'd be curious to read that article where Towson's AD claimed they lost $50k because they traveled 3 times (looks like Prof's link is now dead). Like ursus and oline mentioned there's no reason for visiting schools to lose money in the playoffs since the NCAA pays for travel for the team, coaches, and essential support staff (I believe the "travel party" is in the 110 range). The only possibility where schools can lose money in the playoffs is if they host and can't hit the minimum financial guarantee (but I think that's rarely a problem outside of the worst attended games of the first round) or if they decide to send their band and pay for it.

I find it shocking that any team that plays in NCAA recognized post season games has a risk of losing anything.

That’s ridiculous !!!

I’m so glad we got a $800K + the revenue from our ticket allotment. You include that and you looking at a million.

FCS teams really bid...like pay money to host postseason games...WOW !!

Professor Chaos
January 4th, 2020, 08:53 PM
I find it shocking that any team that plays in NCAA recognized post season games has a risk of losing anything.

That’s ridiculous !!!

I’m so glad we got a $800K + the revenue from our ticket allotment. You include that and you looking at a million.

For the first round games on Thanksgiving weekend they bid for host site... after that there's usually at least one seeded team involved so at that point all they need to do is submit a minimum bid to get the home game. In the majority of cases the bid isn't what's paid out to the NCAA, it's 75% of the net receipts (total gate receipts minus host school expenses). That being the case most schools will make a small bit of profit (25% of the net reciepts) but nothing near what you'll pull in the Celebration Bowl. What you guys have works for your schools, more power to you. As a fan I wouldn't trade the playoff experience for some extra cash for my school's athletic department but I'm probably not a very good case study given the success my team has had in the playoffs. If every school had the revenue potential for a postseason bowl that the Celebration Bowl gives the MEAC and SWAC schools many would probably make the same decision you did. I don't think any other conferences could pull that off though with the success that the HBCUs have had.

Redbird 4th & short
January 5th, 2020, 09:30 AM
MVFC usually gets between 3 and 5 teams in playoff each year and we travel for way more playin games than we host. So most games, anything we lose for traveling is our choice, though would assume some donors might step up to cover unreimbursed (by NCAA) travel expenses. After playin games, Seeds determine who hosts each game .... so home/seed teams have to give up 75% of their net gate (plus playin games bids) to cover the NCAA budget for the 24 team playoff. It would be nice if there were more budget for the FCS playoffs, but there isn't .. and you have to figure out a way to spread the costs and pay the bills for all.

But the goal should be to have a real playoff that determines a true champion ... it is not for one team to make most/all the money. But as a conference, why would the MVFC do that instead .. it would make no sense for our conference. Same for Big Sky and Colonial for sure. And I would assume Southland and Southern. Not as sure about the perennial one bid leagues, but they have improved somewhat the last 5 or 6 years and are winning playin games a little more often than before.

Bottom line, all 24 teams had set their goals to win more games this year and make playoffs. Some had loftier goals based on winning playin, or getting to quarters, semi's or Natty .. it's all relative, and the playoffs becomes their measuring stick for success. For the other 23 teams, it's not just about whether NDSU will win Natty again or not .. it is much more nuanced than that for most teams. ISUr had a uneven but successful season once it got to playoffs .. that will help Spack keep his jon, recruit, hire coaches, and continue to get buy-in from his current players. So making quarters and giving NDSU a tough game was considered a successful season, especially since we were told we were one of the last 4 in, shortly after being viewed as a possible top 8 seed. No one in Redbird Nation views this season as failure, though we hope to do better next season. Same for UNI I would guess.

Can't have that experience (for the 3 or 4 teams not named NDSU) if MVFC does a Bowl Game .. only 1 team would get that privilege if we did that. And then what does rest of MVFC do if NDSU is the Bowl Game lock most years .. schedule a lesser meaningless Bowl Game for 2nd and 3rd place teams with no chance of being a National Champion ??

No thanks. I'll take the breakeven $ associated with current playoff format without batting an eye. It is how playoffs were meant to be played .. to determine a true champion, not just about money.

Again, not knocking Celebration Bowl, they should be applauded for their success .. but it is not a true playoff.

TennBison
January 5th, 2020, 09:37 AM

That’s ridiculous !!!

And that is why your team will never be a national champion, they are happier with a paycheck than a shot at greatness.

Redbird 4th & short
January 5th, 2020, 09:50 AM
And that is why your team will never be a national champion, they are happier with a paycheck than a shot at greatness.
agreed, though NC A&T will get a shot at greatness in 2020.

To say nothing of basic economics .. hosting teams pay NCAA for right to host playoff games, sure. But this allows NCAA to spread and cover all the costs of all traveling teams for all 5 rounds, including the Natty game. So this ensures, no playoff team has to "pay to play" at all .. kind of a key point here.

So while I'm not sure if NCAA usuually profits from FCS playoffs or not, the inference that host teams are simply paying NCAA is wrong .. they are paying NCAA, so NCAA can cover all the travel costs for all traveling teams for entire playoff. They are an intermediary in that sense, and this is further why they have to partly regionalize the pairings in first 2 rounds, to keep travel costs in affordable range. Again, I'm not sure if they typically net any profits for their role, but they are taking all the risk if all playoff travel costs aren't covered by the bids and gates. And with the final 4 rounds largely locked by seeds with no consideration of potential gates, NCAA takes all this risk each year if the budget lands in the red .. that is, a loss to NCAA.

Now imagine the most expensive game .. the Natty. How much the Natty depends on the near sellouts that NDSU ensures when they play in Natty, along with TV Ads. So suppose 2 teams that don't travel well make Natty .... NCAA takes all that financial risk.

TennBison
January 5th, 2020, 10:22 AM

That’s ridiculous !!!

Wow, so your team possibly made one million from one game this year, but as a whole lost money all through the rest of the year. Wanna take a guess as to how much money NDSU has made every year for the last ten years because of everything the football program has done. Take a look at merchandise, alumni contributions, profits from football games (yes, NDSU actually does make a profit......mind blowing to 75% of the FCS), scholarships, national media, and dozens of other trickle down effects that help the school fund programs. Maybe schools that choose to hide behind this FCS level bowl game for support should step out and put their money where their mouth is.

NDSUtk
January 5th, 2020, 10:30 AM
Now imagine the most expensive game .. the Natty. How much the Natty depends on the near sellouts that NDSU ensures when they play in Natty, along with TV Ads. So suppose 2 teams that don't travel well make Natty .... NCAA takes all that financial risk.

Prior to 2012 season, the NCAA would have taken a risk. Now, they sell out 60% of the stadium in August before they even know who is going so that risk has been greatly reduced. Plus they have raised the prices during that time by 64% (2011 championship tickets were $55 and now sidelines are $90 I believe it is this year.

The 2011 season, I walked out of the Fargodome after our semifinal game, called a guy at the stadium and bought 4 first row sideline seats because that's how little had sold in advance. I'm still wanting the NCAA to bring back the 3 year pack! That was great.

Professor
January 6th, 2020, 08:35 AM

So what about the other 90 or so teams that compete for a national championship but will never obtain it? Does their shot at greatness help their bottom line? Only 14 teams have won a FCS title

Derby City Duke
January 6th, 2020, 02:35 PM
So what about the other 90 or so teams that compete for a national championship but will never obtain it? Does their shot at greatness help their bottom line? Only 14 current FCS teams have won a FCS title

Amended your post so it is more accurate.

21 teams have combined to win the 41 1-AA/FCS titles;

7 (15 titles) are no longer in the subdivision

Georgia Southern: 6
Appalachian State: 3
Marshall: 2
Western Kentucky: 1
Louisiana-Monroe: 1
Boise State: 1
Massachusetts: 1

Professor
January 6th, 2020, 04:28 PM
Amended your post so it is more accurate.

21 teams have combined to win the 41 1-AA/FCS titles;

7 (15 titles) are no longer in the subdivision

Georgia Southern: 6
Appalachian State: 3
Marshall: 2
Western Kentucky: 1
Louisiana-Monroe: 1
Boise State: 1
Massachusetts: 1

I'm pretty sure what i said was clear but for further clarity , that's fine. Again what are the other schools doing

WileECoyote06
January 6th, 2020, 05:34 PM
I'm pretty sure what i said was clear but for further clarity , that's fine. Again what are the other schools doing

Diverting money to basketball and baseball. xcoffeex

Derby City Duke
January 6th, 2020, 06:15 PM

xthumbsupx

As to your question, nothing different than all the schools not named Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Georgia, LSU, and handful of others in FBS are doing. Putting resources in other sports. Some, like Kentucky, which for all of recorded history have been an SEC team only because it's been stitched on their jersey, are beginning to make some noise -- but the reality of it there's only about 5 teams capable of winning a national title each year in FBS. Recent history in the FCS has been even more discerning -- the number has been about 3 in any given year.

that guy
January 7th, 2020, 06:26 AM
Celebration bowl has a shorter stint but seems pretty top heavy as well so what are the other HBCUs doing as well?

Redbird 4th & short
January 7th, 2020, 09:08 AM
Celebration bowl has a shorter stint but seems pretty top heavy as well so what are the other HBCUs doing as well?
very good point .. so 2 of 19 teams get a "bid" to Celebration .. so 10.5% of these HBCUs get a shot at post season .. ignoring 80 or so other HBCUs (all divisions) who have no access to this Bowl game. Including all 100 HBCUs would put it at 2% getting shot at this post season Bowl .. not sure if other divisions have their own post season game or not.

Compare this to rest of FCS, which still potentially includes MEAC and SWAC with an at large bid, but excludes Ivy, is about 115 teams, or roughly 95 teams excluding MEAC and SWAC. And we offer 24 bids .. this puts it at 21% of the 115 FCS teams getting a shot at post season; or 25% excluding MEAC and SWAC. And someone has to pay for all those road teams' travel & accomodations costs for all 23 playoff games ... and our playoff system does that.

So playoff participation is at 20% for entire FCS landscape and just 10% for Celebration Bowl ... I'll take the former, which pays for all 24 teams expenses and determines a true champion.

Professor
January 7th, 2020, 10:11 AM
very good point .. so 2 of 19 teams get a "bid" to Celebration .. so 10.5% of these HBCUs get a shot at post season .. ignoring 80 or so other HBCUs (all divisions) who have no access to this Bowl game. Including all 100 HBCUs would put it at 2% getting shot at this post season Bowl .. not sure if other divisions have their own post season game or not.

Compare this to rest of FCS, which still potentially includes MEAC and SWAC with an at large bid, but excludes Ivy, is about 115 teams, or roughly 95 teams excluding MEAC and SWAC. And we offer 24 bids .. this puts it at 21% of the 115 FCS teams getting a shot at post season; or 25% excluding MEAC and SWAC. And someone has to pay for all those road teams' travel & accomodations costs for all 23 playoff games ... and our playoff system does that.

So playoff participation is at 20% for entire FCS landscape and just 10% for Celebration Bowl ... I'll take the former, which pays for all 24 teams expenses and determines a true champion.

Sigh. So let's cover truth and facts.

It is 21 HBCU FCS teams. IDK where this 100 or 80 number comes from. All HBCU's don't play football and all aren't on the FCS level. Hampton and Tennessee State (FCS) aren't included in the Celebration Bowl due to conference tie in. No different than any other bowl game tie in.

So to make your number look good, you want all HBCU's to have access to the Celebration bowl... Bwhahahaha. Why would a HBCU FCS Bowl game include HBCUS on the Division II level? And the Division II HBCU's had a bowl game called the Pioneer Bowl. It folded however , and they now all compete in the D2 playoffs.

The NCAA took in over 1 Billion dollars in revenue in 2018. I'm pretty sure paying for travel isn't an issue. https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2018/03/07/ncaa-makes-more-than-1-billion/

If you rather play in the playoffs to cover your expenses vs playing in a game that pays you plus gives you the chance to make an additional money buy selling tickets..... Hey that's on you. Our schools are happy

Professor
January 7th, 2020, 10:15 AM

in FCS , it's 2 teams that have a chance to win the title. It's either James Madison or North Dakota State. 1 of those teams have played in the last 9 title games.

Been 4 teams in the game so far. A couple other teams have been right on the cusp of making it. Majority of the HBCU's are ok. Everyone is trying to improve to get to Atlanta and get the national attention. Which makes for better play in the MEAC and SWAC.

Redbird 4th & short
January 7th, 2020, 10:18 AM
Sigh. So let's cover truth and facts.

It is 21 HBCU FCS teams. IDK where this 100 or 80 number comes from. All HBCU's don't play football and all aren't on the FCS level. Hampton and Tennessee State (FCS) aren't included in the Celebration Bowl due to conference tie in. No different than any other bowl game tie in.

So to make your number look good, you want all HBCU's to have access to the Celebration bowl... Bwhahahaha. Why would a HBCU FCS Bowl game include HBCUS on the Division II level? And the Division II HBCU's had a bowl game called the Pioneer Bowl. It folded however , and they now all compete in the D2 playoffs.

The NCAA took in over 1 Billion dollars in revenue in 2018. I'm pretty sure paying for travel isn't an issue. https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2018/03/07/ncaa-makes-more-than-1-billion/

If you rather play in the playoffs to cover your expenses vs playing in a game that pays you plus gives you the chance to make an additional money buy selling tickets..... Hey that's on you. Our schools are happy

As usual, you cherry pick wrong info to counter .. clearly, I acknowledged multiple divisions and then in my conclusion, I cited the 10% HBCU playoff participation number (2 of 19) in comparison to the 20% FCS playoff participation number .. right ??

I don't have an issue with your preference to do the Celebration Bowl. But when youcome on here boasting how it is better and everyone else should do it, justfor the money .. well that I take issue with. So take your check and enjoy your intramural level championship. The real championship is being played elsewhere .. all 24 teams playing in 22 games that lead to the Natty. Now that is a championship tournament ... much like every other sport at nearly every other level.

Next year, your champion will face our usual champion ... truth of how close they are will be revealed for all.

Professor
January 7th, 2020, 10:41 AM
As usual, you cherry pick wrong info to counter .. clearly, I acknowledged multiple divisions and then in my conclusion, I cited the 10% HBCU playoff participation number (2 of 19) in comparison to the 20% FCS playoff participation number .. right ??

I don't have an issue with your preference to do the Celebration Bowl. But when youcome on here boasting how it is better and everyone else should do it, just for the money .. well that I take issue with. So take your check and enjoy your intramural level championship. The real championship is being played elsewhere .. all 24 teams playing in 22 games that lead to the Natty. Now that is a championship tournament ... much like every other sport at nearly every other level.

Next year, your champion will face our usual champion ... truth of how close they are will be revealed for all.

No cherry pick just wonder why u mentioned it to use in your argument?

How do you take issue with someone or a group acknowledging their worth and creating something to maximize the available money? Isn't this America lol? IDC what any other conference in FCS does. Better is relative but it is working for our universities. So hey.

Intramural Championship...Real Championship ... smh

At the end of the day , our university leaders are happy , THE PLAYERS ARE HAPPY , and the Alums are happy. All that matters.

As for facing your champ, we will see how it goes. Win or lose , we will fight till the clock strikes 0:00

Redbird 4th & short
January 7th, 2020, 11:51 AM
No cherry pick just wonder why u mentioned it to use in your argument?

How do you take issue with someone or a group acknowledging their worth and creating something to maximize the available money? Isn't this America lol? IDC what any other conference in FCS does. Better is relative but it is working for our universities. So hey.

Intramural Championship...Real Championship ... smh

At the end of the day , our university leaders are happy , THE PLAYERS ARE HAPPY , and the Alums are happy. All that matters.

As for facing your champ, we will see how it goes. Win or lose , we will fight till the clock strikes 0:00
again, I have no issue with the HBCUs doing the Celebration Bowl ... and I have applauded it's success.

But some MEAC fans do come on here to inflate how good your teams are compared to our playoff teams and then knock our playoff system because a single team does not profit considerably from it .... as if that should be everyone's post-season objective and we are stupid for not viewing post-season that way. This is college, not the pro's.

So again, I and many people here aren't knocking the Celebration Bowl or its success, they're just stating the obvious. It is a game featuring 2 conferences that haven't won a playoff game in 20 years. And then you come on here knocking our playoff system and some of you are saying your top 3 or 4 MEAC teams would/should make our playoffs and some further said they are just as good as several top 8 seeds. Despite zero wins in 20 years of playoff partipation.

So that is the main issue here and just a rediculously delusional opinion. Enjoy the success of your Celebration Bowl .. I have no issue with that whatsoever.

Professor
January 7th, 2020, 02:29 PM
again, I have no issue with the HBCUs doing the Celebration Bowl ... and I have applauded it's success.

But some MEAC fans do come on here to inflate how good your teams are compared to our playoff teams and then knock our playoff system because a single team does not profit considerably from it .... as if that should be everyone's post-season objective and we are stupid for not viewing post-season that way. This is college, not the pro's.

So again, I and many people here aren't knocking the Celebration Bowl or its success, they're just stating the obvious. It is a game featuring 2 conferences that haven't won a playoff game in 20 years. And then you come on here knocking our playoff system and some of you are saying your top 3 or 4 MEAC teams would/should make our playoffs and some further said they are just as good as several top 8 seeds. Despite zero wins in 20 years of playoff partipation.

So that is the main issue here and just a rediculously delusional opinion. Enjoy the success of your Celebration Bowl .. I have no issue with that whatsoever.

Winning a head to head game isn't a delusional opinion. Most HBCU posters want a set criteria that when they achieve it, they are included in the FCS playoffs. That and other issues is the reason the Celebration Bowl was created in the 1st place. Not because we think are inferior , but we were tired of getting F*&#$@ over. People don't forget when things have happened to them. And no one has said 3/4 MEAC teams should make the playoff. I will wait on that link to be posted lol. The conversation was about SCSU. And how they beat the Southern Conf champ. And got zero credit for it.

It's really no issues. We HBCU posters know what the thoughts of the majority are. And we know that our schools must prove it on the field

R.A.
January 8th, 2020, 11:14 AM
Winning a head to head game isn't a delusional opinion. Most HBCU posters want a set criteria that when they achieve it, they are included in the FCS playoffs. That and other issues is the reason the Celebration Bowl was created in the 1st place. Not because we think are inferior , but we were tired of getting F*&#$@ over. People don't forget when things have happened to them. And no one has said 3/4 MEAC teams should make the playoff. I will wait on that link to be posted lol. The conversation was about SCSU. And how they beat the Southern Conf champ. And got zero credit for it.

It's really no issues. We HBCU posters know what the thoughts of the majority are. And we know that our schools must prove it on the field

The playoff teams don't look as good as some of the MEAC and SWAC Schools.

It's the truth.

What's inflated about saying 2019 SC State is better than 2019 Wofford? SC State beat Wofford.

It's not inflated when you prove it on the field.

NC A&T's offense looked really good in their Celebration Bowl victory versus Alcorn State. What's inflated about saying 2020 NC A&T vs. NDSU will be a competitive game?

It's 2020 and y'all are still using the past to justify not putting HBCUs in the Playoffs.
-----------------------------------------

Lorne_Malvo
January 8th, 2020, 11:45 AM
HBCUs can play in the playoff as soon as they decide to. BTW: NDSU will blow NCATT out. It wont even be close.

A&T AGGIE96
January 8th, 2020, 12:58 PM
HBCUs can play in the playoff as soon as they decide to. BTW: NDSU will blow NCATT out. It wont even be close.

You gotta slow your roll there partner. Games are played on the field. I don’t know anything about NDSU, but from what I hear they are not really an FCS team but an FBS team in disguise. They can’t move up because they are in...well, North Dakota...no TV market or real value to add to FBS conference.

If that’s true and we get blown out then it’s no big deal because it would be little more than a “payout” game like any other FBS school.

If it’s just a payout I’d rather we stay local and play a team like Duke again. Nobody wants to travel to a game in ND...and NDSU ain’t scheduling away games in the south or east coast. So you can forget a return visit...It is what it is.

I saw some of the same stuff on this board a couple seasons back when we were scheduled to play JSU. I thought A&T was playin Jackson State and was happy as all get out...then I found out it was Jacksonville State and was like who? AGS didn’t give the Aggies a snowballs chance in hell to win that game...then after we won many made excuses on how A&T got out played.

As for HBCUs in the playoffs...I’d rather see the MEAC and SWAC create another bowl game for conference co-Champs or runner ups...no other leagues in the FCS could do it. We could get the game on ESPN, the schools would get a payout, National attention, and in doing so guarantee each conference two post season opportunities.

A SC State vs Southern match up in NO would have been awesome.

Why hope for a spot in the playoffs with no payout or lose money if you travel your band etc.

McNeese75
January 8th, 2020, 04:54 PM
As for HBCUs in the playoffs...I’d rather see the MEAC and SWAC create another bowl game for conference co-Champs or runner ups...no other leagues in the FCS could do it. We could get the game on ESPN, the schools would get a payout, National attention, and in doing so guarantee each conference two post season opportunities.

How about this as a novel idea. Why not just have 11 bowl games a year between the SWAC and the MEAC. Everyone plays 11 bowl games, every game has 50-80,000 in attendance and eveyone gets rich. xthumbsupx

that guy
January 8th, 2020, 06:48 PM
How about this as a novel idea. Why not just have 11 bowl games a year between the SWAC and the MEAC. Everyone plays 11 bowl games, every game has 50-80,000 in attendance and eveyone gets rich. xthumbsupx

Jay Walker would have a heart attack.

cx500d
January 8th, 2020, 07:05 PM
That's kind of the way its done now. Every game is called the XXXXXXXX "Classic"

bonarae
January 8th, 2020, 08:25 PM
How about a bowl game between the Ivy champ and the SWAC championship game runner-up? xchinscratchx

cx500d
January 8th, 2020, 08:57 PM
How about a bowl game between the Ivy champ and the SWAC championship game runner-up? xchinscratchx
Probably about the same level of play

POD Knows
January 8th, 2020, 09:07 PM
You gotta slow your roll there partner. Games are played on the field. I don’t know anything about NDSU, but from what I hear they are not really an FCS team but an FBS team in disguise. They can’t move up because they are in...well, North Dakota...no TV market or real value to add to FBS conference.

If that’s true and we get blown out then it’s no big deal because it would be little more than a “payout” game like any other FBS school.

If it’s just a payout I’d rather we stay local and play a team like Duke again. Nobody wants to travel to a game in ND...and NDSU ain’t scheduling away games in the south or east coast. So you can forget a return visit...It is what it is.

I saw some of the same stuff on this board a couple seasons back when we were scheduled to play JSU. I thought A&T was playin Jackson State and was happy as all get out...then I found out it was Jacksonville State and was like who? AGS didn’t give the Aggies a snowballs chance in hell to win that game...then after we won many made excuses on how A&T got out played.

Why hope for a spot in the playoffs with no payout or lose money if you travel your band etc.Yea, you don't know anything about NDSU, we just played at Delaware this year and have a H&H with Towson in the not too distant future.

Professor
January 9th, 2020, 08:20 AM
That's kind of the way its done now. Every game is called the XXXXXXXX "Classic"

Didn't you just play in a classic this year?

Professor
January 9th, 2020, 08:30 AM

It's funny to watch you a fan of McNeese State throw attendance jokes when you can't fill your stadium unless your playing a Louisiana HBCU

With the large influx of Southern fans, McNeese State set a school record crowd of 20,437 on Saturday night to watch their Cowboys edge the Jaguars 34-28. The previous record of 20,300 was set in 2002 against Grambling.

A&T AGGIE96
January 9th, 2020, 08:53 AM
Yea, you don't know anything about NDSU, we just played at Delaware this year and have a H&H with Towson in the not too distant future.

Sorry, but NDSU is not on the sports radar here in North Carolina...Just being honest, if not for this board I wouldn't know the school existed...I wouldn't expect people in ND to know much about schools here either. I've never been to Delaware in my life. Delaware State is in the MEAC so I hope to get to a game up there in the near future. I've heard of Towson...but only because they play Morgan State in a number of sports and Morgan in in the MEAC as well. I'm very familiar with Morgan and have traveled to Baltimore as A&T and the Bears have a long and storied history of playing each other.

College Football for small schools is cultural and regional...I follow HBCUs MEAC, SWAC, CIAA (D2) SAIC (D2), after that, schools in the southeast. For people out this way ND is one of those places you fly over to get to the West Coast. Closest I've been to ND is Denver. I know NDSU is a big deal in FCS circles...but truth be told FCS is not that big a deal. That's why most schools that have the support and resources leave for the FBS.

Locally A&T and schools like us get lost in all the noise on what's going in in the ACC or SEC. So you'll have to forgive me, but no, I don't know anything about NDSU.

semobison
January 9th, 2020, 09:13 AM

Why hope for a spot in the playoffs with no payout or lose money if you travel your band etc.

What makes you say NDSU is really an FBS team in disguise? It looks like you already have an excuse in your pocket for the game next fall.

NDSU's football Budget is approximately 5.5 million $.
James Madison's football Budget is 10 million $.
NC A&T has a football Budget of 3.6 million $.

NDSU has the same number of scholarships as required at FCS. The facts are we have done more than others with less which makes our run even more remarkable. Moving up to FBS not only is a geographical problem but it takes money which also is a problem for NDSU when discussing the possibility of moving up.

A&T AGGIE96
January 9th, 2020, 10:23 AM
What makes you say NDSU is really an FBS team in disguise? It looks like you already have an excuse in your pocket for the game next fall.

NDSU's football Budget is approximately 5.5 million $.
James Madison's football Budget is 10 million $.
NC A&T has a football Budget of 3.6 million $.

NDSU has the same number of scholarships as required at FCS. The facts are we have done more than others with less which makes our run even more remarkable. Moving up to FBS not only is a geographical problem but it takes money which also is a problem for NDSU when discussing the possibility of moving up.

I have no need to make excuses...it's FCS football man, it's not that serious. Besides, that's what was reported in the news when this game was announced about this time a year ago.

https://www.greensboro.com/sports/college/ncat/a-t-adds-national-champion-north-dakota-state-to-football/article_72656f4e-5f4c-5283-b2c5-fa05acb54c84.html

“Come on, man, that is an FCS program in name only,” Hilton deadpanned. “... It’s a long trip out there, but it’s going to be a revenue-producing game for us. We’ll make a little money. But that’s not what this is about. It’s about our kids getting a chance to face the best. That’s the real draw: Let’s play the best FCS team out there.”

It's no secret that NDSU and James Madison are "FCS programs in name only"...My understanding is JM is going to move up, so I guess they have decided to swim in a bigger pond. Looks like this is a revenue-producing game that gives our kids a chance to play one of the best teams in FCS...even if they are "FCS in name only".

Not my preference because of the travel. There are plenty of potential revenue-producing games (FBS) that can be found locally. We have played App State, UNC Charlotte, and East Carolina...and beat all of them. Didn't have the same luck with the likes of Duke, UNC Chapel Hill, and Wake Forest...but it generated a lot of local and state wide news.

I'm sure it's been discussed on this board a million times, but has NDSU seriously considered moving up? I'm not aware of any other schools in ND that could steal your thunder...you should be able to capture the attention of press, sponsors, lions share of funding. Here in NC it's very hard having 4 ACC schools and 3 other smaller FBS programs...not to mention the FCS programs to compete with.

As you can image recruiting is always rough...getting press and sponsorship...the football fan pie is sliced pretty thin. Seems like NDSU has some built in advantages that could help you be successful at the FBS level.

McNeese75
January 9th, 2020, 11:07 AM
It's funny to watch you a fan of McNeese State throw attendance jokes when you can't fill your stadium unless your playing a Louisiana HBCU

With the large influx of Southern fans, McNeese State set a school record crowd of 20,437 on Saturday night to watch their Cowboys edge the Jaguars 34-28. The previous record of 20,300 was set in 2002 against Grambling.

Not an attendance joke my friend, simply offering a great solution to what your conferences really want out of college football. Someone mentioned you should combine with the Ivies and do those as well. Great idea.

SUPharmacist
January 9th, 2020, 11:51 AM
I'm not aware of any other schools in ND that could steal your thunder...you should be able to capture the attention of press, sponsors, lions share of funding. Here in NC it's very hard having 4 ACC schools and 3 other smaller FBS programs...not to mention the FCS programs to compete with.

As you can image recruiting is always rough...getting press and sponsorship...the football fan pie is sliced pretty thin. Seems like NDSU has some built in advantages that could help you be successful at the FBS level.

While there is a lot of truth to the benefit NDSU gets by only having one other D1 football program in the state to compete with, people seem to forget there is a lot smaller resource pool to draw from in ND.

There is a ton to compete with in NC, but if we look at population in each state it is not as clear cut. According to google NC has 10.38 million people, split between a bunch of D1 football programs (14 if I am counting correctly) everyone has a small slice of the pie. ND has a population of 760,000 to support 2 programs. Obviously support is not distributed equally, but if you carve out a niche and really engage students and alumni you can do quite well.

Not all schools differentiate well in that regard, but that is on those schools and not the programs that do it well. Clearly A&T is a program that has found a way to get the support they need and have made choices to that end that help the school and engage the fans.

I am looking forward to this game and as I have said before have a lot of respect for the schedules the Aggies play.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 9th, 2020, 12:06 PM
While there is a lot of truth to the benefit NDSU gets by only having one other D1 football program in the state to compete with, people seem to forget there is a lot smaller resource pool to draw from in ND.

There is a ton to compete with in NC, but if we look at population in each state it is not as clear cut. According to google NC has 10.38 million people, split between a bunch of D1 football programs (14 if I am counting correctly) everyone has a small slice of the pie. ND has a population of 760,000 to support 2 programs. Obviously support is not distributed equally, but if you carve out a niche and really engage students and alumni you can do quite well.

Not all schools differentiate well in that regard, but that is on those schools and not the programs that do it well. Clearly A&T is a program that has found a way to get the support they need and have made choices to that end that help the school and engage the fans.

I am looking forward to this game and as I have said before have a lot of respect for the schedules the Aggies play.

Same argument I used to make against some App St. fans and other E. coasters about a decade ago. When you live in a state with less than a million people then that probably has a whole lot to do with why there is only two teams to divvy up the pie.

"We have to complete against so many other schools for talent and respect and..." No ****? You have 40 to 50 times the population so I'd assume you might need/want additional institutions to cover it all.

Professor
January 9th, 2020, 12:06 PM
Not an attendance joke my friend, simply offering a great solution to what your conferences really want out of college football. Someone mentioned you should combine with the Ivies and do those as well. Great idea.

What we want? lol what's that? We have a niche and are doing what we need to do.

What is it that you want out of college football , a FCS Championship right. Seems to be escaping you lol. but hey keep trying

uni88
January 9th, 2020, 12:22 PM
Same argument I used to make against some App St. fans and other E. coasters about a decade ago. When you live in a state with less than a million people then that probably has a whole lot to do with why there is only two teams to divvy up the pie.

"We have to complete against so many other schools for talent and respect and..." No ****? You have 40 to 50 times the population so I'd assume you might need/want additional institutions to cover it all.

Ursus and Pharmacist, you're not wrong but it is a little more complicated than that. The Dakotas, Montanas and Delaware are the big dogs in small population states and that gives them the inside track with non-alumni. A Carroll College or Minot State grad is much more likely to be a Griz or Bison fan than a Winston-Salem State grad is to be an NC A&T or App State fan. It's what a poster on another thread called affinity and it doesn't impact your available talent pool so much as your fanbase, gameday experience and merchandise sales. NC A&T and other HBCUs probably have a leg up on affinity with African American fans because of their history and that helps them draw crowds and create a great gameday experience and ultimately get a sweet deal like the Celebration Bowl. They are leveraging an advantage and I applaud them for it.

I know that UNI struggles to compete with Iowa in the Waterloo/Cedar Falls market and that's our home town. I don't think NDSU struggles in Fargo/Moorhead or Montana struggles in Missoula. I'm not using this as an excuse. It's reality and we have to deal with it but pretending everything is equal isn't accurate.

Professor
January 9th, 2020, 12:26 PM
Ursus and Pharmacist, you're not wrong but it is a little more complicated than that. The Dakotas, Montanas and Delaware are the big dogs in small population states and that gives them the inside track with non-alumni. A Carroll College or Minot State grad is much more likely to be a Griz or Bison fan than a Winston-Salem State grad is to be an NC A&T or App State fan. It's what a poster on another thread called affinity and it doesn't impact your available talent pool so much as your fanbase, gameday experience and merchandise sales. NC A&T and other HBCUs probably have a leg up on affinity with African American fans because of their history and that helps them draw crowds and create a great gameday experience and ultimately get a sweet deal like the Celebration Bowl. They are leveraging an advantage and I applaud them for it.

I know that UNI struggles to compete with Iowa in the Waterloo/Cedar Falls market and that's our home town. I don't think NDSU struggles in Fargo/Moorhead or Montana struggles in Missoula. I'm not using this as an excuse. It's reality and we have to deal with it but pretending everything is equal isn't accurate.

Great analysis

McNeese75
January 9th, 2020, 05:03 PM
What we want? lol what's that? We have a niche and are doing what we need to do.

What is it that you want out of college football , a FCS Championship right. Seems to be escaping you lol. but hey keep trying

Funny man and what do you want out of College football? Big fish in a small pond or the opposite? No need to answer, we know where you stand.

Redbird 4th & short
January 9th, 2020, 08:43 PM
Funny man and what do you want out of College football? Big fish in a small pond or the opposite? No need to answer, we know where you stand.

oh, oh, oh ... call on me !!! I know the answer !!

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BraveGorgeousBasenji-small.gif
(https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiE9NuxgfjmAhUQZc0KHVp6AUYQjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fgfycat.com%2Fgifs%2Fsearch%2Fhor shack&psig=AOvVaw28KeNxum3oRCqx3XOpt90j&ust=1578710589012804)

Professor
January 10th, 2020, 08:39 AM

Bwhahaha , didn't see you on the list. But ok. I think A&T is getting just what it needs out of college football. Money and prestige. Good luck on your FCS title hopes in 2021

http://www.espn.com/espn/wire/_/section/ncf/id/28364738

McNeese75
January 10th, 2020, 08:48 AM
Bwhahaha , didn't see you on the list. But ok. I think A&T is getting just what it needs out of college football. Money and prestige. Good luck on your FCS title hopes in 2021

http://www.espn.com/espn/wire/_/section/ncf/id/28364738

Define Prestige???

WestCoastAggie
January 10th, 2020, 10:47 AM
Its still going.

Professor
January 10th, 2020, 11:30 AM
Define Prestige???

Being recognized as one of the top programs of the last decade

UNHWildcat18
January 10th, 2020, 12:38 PM
lol HBCU "nation champion" got a good chuckle out of that

Redbird 4th & short
January 10th, 2020, 12:47 PM
Being recognized as one of the top programs of the last decade

To be clear, they said "most successful" and it included several other paper lions with very soft schedules, like NC A&T: San Diego, Kennesaw (except for 2 legit years) Harvard, Beth Cook

And yet most years, you struggle to crack the top 15 and sometimes even the top 25 by everyone else, other than that one ESPN analyst.

By the way, let's talk about "successful" decades .. my ISUr did NOT make this top 16 "most successful" programs. Yet we have made playoff 5 times this decade and been in quarterinals 4 times, and made Natty once. How does your NC A&T compare to our FCS program this decade ??

And let me first acknowledge your wins over SWAC teams in CB .. oh and your big win over 5-6 Elon by 3 at home this year .. now go accuse me again of shifting the goalpost on that Elon win .. as if their record didn't shift it for me !!!!

Panther88
January 10th, 2020, 01:03 PM

Why are you in this thread? To "chuckle?" Keep chuckling, since you're good at it. What our fanbase likes, we love and certainly do not want or need any "outsiders" affirmation. What's wrong w/ you? lol xlolx

You represent a school that has absolutely NO athletic history or legacy anywhere near Canton, OH or the CHOF. Duh. smh xsmhx

ursus arctos horribilis
January 10th, 2020, 01:06 PM
Ursus and Pharmacist, you're not wrong.

Nailed it. Good work brother.

Yes, UNI struggles in their own area, I get that. But when I went there I was fairly shocked at the absolute lack of a good time that the school and fans put into it. I asked clenzy about it and he said it just wasn't something UNI put any effort at all into and I think that is probably the biggest problem with that particular instance or maybe one of several things that could be done is a focus on making a game an event and having some fun with berages, food, etc. and do it in a concentrated way instead of having fans scatter across a mile of differing lacations that was just lackluster at best for what should have been a fairly big game. clenzy and PantherRob were the only two people that came to hang out and took us around and showed a good time. When we wernt to App, NDSU, etc. we could not meet everyone or even hit every tailgate we were invited to...seroiusly could not hit them all and felt bad about it. UNI, nothing. So I think it is all about the culture of the event in that case. Which is what the CB seems to have in large proportion as you mentioned.

But if your school as a national contender year in and year out and you can not cut off a little piece of a very large market then I think saying that it some big advantage for schools in small states it just doesn't seem to have any real traction for me.

Marshall did it.
App State did it.

I'm sure there are other examples based on measurements you want to use but I am using fans in stands on that one which is what I think we were talking about.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 10th, 2020, 01:08 PM
Why are you in this thread? To "chuckle?" Keep chuckling, since you're good at it. What our fanbase likes, we love and certainly do not want or need any "outsiders" affirmation. What's wrong w/ you? lol xlolx

You represent a school that has absolutely NO athletic history or legacy anywhere near Canton, OH or the CHOF. Duh. smh xsmhx

I affirm this whether you need it or not.:D

Panther88
January 10th, 2020, 01:10 PM
To be clear, they said "most successful" and it included several other paper lions with very soft schedules, like NC A&T: San Diego, Kennesaw (except for 2 legit years) Harvard, Beth Cook

And yet most years, you struggle to crack the top 15 and sometimes even the top 25 by everyone else, other than that one ESPN analyst.

By the way, let's talk about "successful" decades .. my ISUr did NOT make this top 16 "most successful" programs. Yet we have made playoff 5 times this decade and been in quarterinals 4 times, and made Natty once. How does your NC A&T compare to our FCS program this decade ??

And let me first acknowledge your wins over SWAC teams in CB .. oh and your big win over 5-6 Elon by 3 at home this year .. now go accuse me again of shifting the goalpost on that Elon win .. as if their record didn't shift it for me !!!!

Dang. Did a NCA&T man screw this thing's ex-wife? Did one of you NCA&T guys piss in his cheerios and convince him it is healthy yellow milk? xlolx

Dude, give it up. You're cyber-begging and your jealousy is HIGHLY obvious. Are you in Dallas/Frisco for the FCS-Nat'l Champ game? If no, seriously, STFU about this. You're all talk, no ass in this game. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

- - - Updated - - -

I affirm this whether you need it or not.:D

Affirmation from a positive standpoint is a good thing.

These others are whiny crying bytches. It's really gotten old. smh

UNHWildcat18
January 10th, 2020, 01:18 PM

Just thought it was funny that they have that title, just like how UCF declared itself a national champion back in when 2017? Calm your tits buddy, its a free country. I can post where I want and when I want.

Also you have a head coach Billy Nicks that is in the CHOF other than that.....nothing.
Also by my count UNH has more players drafted than your program in the last 30 years.
So please spread your imaginary superiority in college football history elsewhere.

Professor
January 10th, 2020, 01:50 PM

Maybe ISU should do more than make the quarterfinals. Maybe winning the conference a few times would help

ysubigred
January 10th, 2020, 01:57 PM
Maybe ISU should do more than make the quarterfinals. Maybe winning the conference a few times would help

Yikes! Since the golden Buffaloes joined the conference that's a tall order.

Professor
January 10th, 2020, 02:00 PM
Dang. Did a NCA&T man screw this thing's ex-wife? Did one of you NCA&T guys piss in his cheerios and convince him it is healthy yellow milk? xlolx

Dude, give it up. You're cyber-begging and your jealousy is HIGHLY obvious. Are you in Dallas/Frisco for the FCS-Nat'l Champ game? If no, seriously, STFU about this. You're all talk, no ass in this game. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Piss in his cheerios..... Yeah that's my fault. Sorry. It's rather amusing to me at this point. He feels like A&T is inferior to his school. Don't bother me none. Made the decade best programs list and getting for 4 straight years of NFL draft picks. 4 out the last 5 MEAC conference titles and 4 out of the last 5 Celebration Bowls.

We are doing pretty good for the local HBCU who doesn't play anyone lol

Redbird 4th & short
January 10th, 2020, 02:17 PM

I don't imagine any of us think you need our affirmation ... we know many of MEAC posters are delusional about this. BUt when you come on here boasting rediculous claims, liek anyreasonable person would expect, you will need to defend your rediculous claims .. simple as that.

As for UNH poster being here .. UNH was #9 not far behind #7 NC A&T, and you guys keep citing this article as if it means anything. Note, it is interesting that the UNH poster didn't even mention this. Probably because he didn't care one bit about this one article by one ESPN analyst .. he may have already forgotten UNH made the list.

Speaking of which, do you see any of the other 15 teams ESPN ranked as "most successful" carrying on ad naseum like MEAC/NCA&T fans have ?? The answer is, no. Other than some discussions about who made the list and why. But no one is bragging about it nearly as much as MEAC/NC A&T fans.

Maybe that is partly why so many posters decide to engage you, along with your claims of fictional "national championships", and deserving of rediculous rankings in "all" of FCS. How the bowl game winner of just 2 conferences with 19 teams in the south/southeast make you a "national champion", is a mystery to the rest of FCS ... It just makes no sense.

Maybe it's time you posters move on from this ESPN article and stopped calling the CB a "national championship". The article ranking was just not a big deal to anyone else on the list, and the Celebration Bowl while lucrative, is clearly not a national championship.

Take your CB check and your "2 conference" Bowl game win, and please stop spouting about how great the MEAC is compared to the FCS top 25 and even the top 8 seeds .. and also if you post rediculous claims here, please stop expecting no one to dispute your rediculous claims .. it is that simple.

Professor
January 10th, 2020, 02:21 PM
I don't imagine any of us think you need our affirmation ... we know many of MEAC posters are delusional about this. BUt when you come on here boasting rediculous claims, liek anyreasonable person would expect, you will need to defend your rediculous claims .. simple as that.

As for UNH poster being here .. UNH was #9 not far behind #7 NC A&T, and you guys keep citing this article as if it means anything. Note, it is interesting that the UNH poster didn't even mention this. Probably because he didn't care one bit about this one article by one ESPN analyst .. he may have already forgotten UNH made the list.

Speaking of which, do you see any of the other 15 teams ESPN ranked as "most successful" carrying on ad naseum like MEAC/NCA&T fans have ?? The answer is, no. Other than some discussions about who made the list and why. But no one is bragging about it nearly as much as MEAC/NC A&T fans.

Maybe that is partly why so many posters decide to engage you, along with your claims of fictional "national championships", and deserving of rediculous rankings in "all" of FCS. How the bowl game winner of just 2 conferences with 19 teams in the south/southeast make you a "national champion", is a mystery to the rest of FCS ... It just makes no sense.

Maybe it's time you posters move on from this ESPN article and stopped calling the CB a "national championship". The article ranking was just not a big deal to anyone else on the list, and the Celebration Bowl while lucrative, is clearly not a national championship.

Take your CB check and your "2 conference" Bowl game win, and please stop spouting about how great the MEAC is compared to the FCS top 25 and even the top 8 seeds .. and also if you post rediculous claims here, please stop expecting no one to dispute your rediculous claims .. it is that simple.

Anger .... GRRRRRR lol

Oh and it's ridiculous btw.

Redbird 4th & short
January 10th, 2020, 02:22 PM
Maybe MEAC should have won a single playoff game in last 20 years ... so quite hilarious coming from you.

BTW, we won the MVFC twice in 2014 and 2015, tied with NDSU both years, we didn't play them in regular season those 2 years ... so there's that. And we played them in Natty in 2014, took the lead with 1:30 to go, and lost by just 2.

Professor
January 10th, 2020, 02:29 PM
We won the MVFC twice in 2014 and 2015, tied with NDSU both years ... so there's that.

Yea because the way your conference is set up, ISU didn't play them. Only reason why but hey. We all saw what happened on 1/20/15. Head to head leaves no doubt

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe MEAC should have won a single playoff game in last 20 years ... so quite hilarious coming from you.

BTW, we won the MVFC twice in 2014 and 2015, tied with NDSU both years, we didn't play them in regular season those 2 years ... so there's that. And we played them in Natty in 2014, took the lead with 1:30 to go, and lost by just 2.

So did you get a ring for taking the lead with 1:30 left? Trying to understand why you mentioned that ?

Professor
January 10th, 2020, 02:32 PM

Does it really matter how many playoff games we or the conference has won in the last 20 years. Does ISU have a FCS national title..... Nope. Does A&T have a FCS national title..... Nope.

We are in the same boat. Everything else is opinions

uni88
January 10th, 2020, 03:20 PM
Yes, UNI struggles in their own area, I get that. But when I went there I was fairly shocked at the absolute lack of a good time that the school and fans put into it. I asked clenzy about it and he said it just wasn't something UNI put any effort at all into and I think that is probably the biggest problem with that particular instance or maybe one of several things that could be done is a focus on making a game an event and having some fun with berages, food, etc. and do it in a concentrated way instead of having fans scatter across a mile of differing lacations that was just lackluster at best for what should have been a fairly big game. clenzy and PantherRob were the only two people that came to hang out and took us around and showed a good time. When we wernt to App, NDSU, etc. we could not meet everyone or even hit every tailgate we were invited to...seroiusly could not hit them all and felt bad about it. UNI, nothing. So I think it is all about the culture of the event in that case. Which is what the CB seems to have in large proportion as you mentioned.

But if your school as a national contender year in and year out and you can not cut off a little piece of a very large market then I think saying that it some big advantage for schools in small states it just doesn't seem to have any real traction for me.

Marshall did it.
App State did it.

I'm sure there are other examples based on measurements you want to use but I am using fans in stands on that one which is what I think we were talking about.

You're missing the point. Yes Marshall, App St and JMU have done it but they're the exceptions. There are a lot more schools like UNI than there are like those three. UNI can and definitely should do a better job with the gameday experience (and we have in the past) but even then it will be an uphill battle to gain market share in Waterloo/Cedar Falls much less the rest of the state. It would be a homerun if we were to approach the success of Marshall, App St or JMU. The Montanas, Dakotas and Delaware are starting on 2nd base when it comes to in-state fan support.

WileECoyote06
January 10th, 2020, 05:49 PM

The mythical black college championship is no different than the championship awarded by the Associated Press.
Why is it so bothersome to you? There are maybe 10 regular MEAC/SWAC posters on this board. The only time their 'bragging' is amplified is in a thread like this. . which you keep revisiting.

Did someone piss in your cornflakes this morning?

Redbird 4th & short
January 10th, 2020, 05:51 PM
Yea because the way your conference is set up, ISU didn't play them. Only reason why but hey. We all saw what happened on 1/20/15. Head to head leaves no doubt

- - - Updated - - -

So did you get a ring for taking the lead with 1:30 left? Trying to understand why you mentioned that ?
Oh I don't. Maybe youre right .. so maybe we should just start our own bowl game for the rest of the MVFC excl NDSU and pick some bad conference like say or NEC or Patriot or SWAC or MEAC ... then win that game easily and declare ourselves National Champions .. yeah, I'll get right on that.

xcoffeex

Redbird 4th & short
January 10th, 2020, 05:53 PM
The mythical black college championship is no different than the championship awarded by the Associated Press.
Why is it so bothersome to you? There are maybe 10 regular MEAC/SWAC posters on this board. The only time their 'bragging' is amplified is in a thread like this. . which you keep revisiting.

Did someone piss in your cornflakes this morning?

No more than Professor's and a few others.

Not sure why some of you act like there's only one half that is arguing here.

A&T AGGIE96
January 10th, 2020, 06:42 PM

Yeah the same chuckle I get when someone says FCS playoffs...the HBCU “National Championship” title has been awarded for decades. It’s storied...has history and tradition.

Well be awarding it long after you and I are gone.

Redbird 4th & short
January 10th, 2020, 09:44 PM
Does it really matter how many playoff games we or the conference has won in the last 20 years. Does ISU have a FCS national title..... Nope. Does A&T have a FCS national title..... Nope.

Sure we are ... whatever nonsense you have to tell yourself.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 11th, 2020, 02:55 PM
You're missing the point. Yes Marshall, App St and JMU have done it but they're the exceptions. There are a lot more schools like UNI than there are like those three. UNI can and definitely should do a better job with the gameday experience (and we have in the past) but even then it will be an uphill battle to gain market share in Waterloo/Cedar Falls much less the rest of the state. It would be a homerun if we were to approach the success of Marshall, App St or JMU. The Montanas, Dakotas and Delaware are starting on 2nd base when it comes to in-state fan support.

In the late 80's when I attended games I was in a stadium with 7-9K frequently and MSU probably had about that same amount. There were only two big schools in the state at that point as well so not sure why with that 2nd base advantage back then that we weren't killing it then as well. I bet it is because that factor has very little to do with it but if it is the story that takes hold for some then so be it I guess. You guys with schools in large populations that have big brothers have it very tough in comparison to us lower population areas.

semobison
January 11th, 2020, 03:36 PM

Really tired of this thread. A&T would be lucky to be a .500% team in the Valley. There, I said it!

Panther88
January 12th, 2020, 12:43 AM

Gawwwwwd damn is ags.com awarding PhDs? A dayamed dissertation. xlolx

You are begging again lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Gawwwwwd damn is ags.com awarding PhDs? A dayamed dissertation. xlolx

You are begging again lol.

Panther88
January 12th, 2020, 12:46 AM
Just thought it was funny that they have that title, just like how UCF declared itself a national champion back in when 2017? Calm your tits buddy, its a free country. I can post where I want and when I want.

Also you have a head coach Billy Nicks that is in the CHOF other than that.....nothing.
Also by my count UNH has more players drafted than your program in the last 30 years.
So please spread your imaginary superiority in college football history elsewhere.

Your cialis finally kicked in eh? Really enjoyed all those unh folk in Canton, OH. xlolx

#nohistory #nolegacy Choose one lol.

cx500d
January 12th, 2020, 06:21 AM
Your cialis finally kicked in eh? Really enjoyed all those unh folk in Canton, OH. xlolx

#nohistory #nolegacy Choose one lol.

How does that compare to prairie views historic 500 game losing streak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A&T AGGIE96
January 12th, 2020, 07:52 AM
Really tired of this thread. A&T would be lucky to be a .500% team in the Valley. There, I said it!

It’s a good thing nobody cares what you say !

Panther88
January 12th, 2020, 09:02 AM

How does it?

You isolate yourself in negative unhappiness, obviously, and we normal folk dwell in positive happiness. Did you enjoy our gold jacketed member when you visited and you have not one represented there? Not one??? xlolx How many 1st round nfl draft picks did your school front at most? Don’t answer unless your name is univ of alabama, clemson, univ of tx, michigan, ...

Substantiated: #nohistory #nolegacy Be thankful your football history started only 30-33 years ago. xlolx

Panther88
January 12th, 2020, 09:06 AM
It’s a good thing nobody cares what you say !

Seriously. These jealous people are severely jaded.

No one SWAC AND MEAC wants or desires their silly remedial affirmation or disdain lol. What’s wrong w/ these people? They should direct their negative ire w/ their other 229 fans in their “fanbase” and try to get on this level. xlolx

UNHWildcat18
January 12th, 2020, 09:54 AM

Guy is mentally tapped. I’ve never rooted for NDSU in my life but I cannot wait to laugh when you guys crush A&T. He’s just mad his team can’t make the playoffs or the celebration bowl. Says we all have no history but yet his school does somehow? I wouldn’t bother responding to him anymore.

cx500d
January 12th, 2020, 09:58 AM
Guy is mentally tapped. I’ve never rooted for NDSU in my life but I cannot wait to laugh when you guys crush A&T. He’s just mad his team can’t make the playoffs or the celebration bowl. Says we all have no history but yet his school does somehow? I wouldn’t bother responding to him anymore.
He apparently is pleased that prairie view had a few random decent players on otherwise really ****ty “teams” - I put quotes around teams because prairie view doesn’t have a team, they have a random athlete here and there.

Panther88
January 12th, 2020, 11:15 AM

Lies ^^^^. Guy is much more intelligent than you could ever pretend to be and looks through your transparent sham of jealousy.

Remove your thumb from your senile old cheerleader's a$$ and make it make sense-----> https://www.profootballhof.com/heroes-of-the-game/colleges/ .

#nohistory #nolegacy Choose one.

Panther88
January 12th, 2020, 11:18 AM
He apparently is pleased that prairie view had a few random decent players on otherwise really ****ty “teams” - I put quotes around teams because prairie view doesn’t have a team, they have a random athlete here and there.

We had a stretch where we lost 2 games in 4 years. Sounds "really ***ty" to me, johnny-boy come lately. xconfusedx xsmhx

Remove that wildcat's thumb from your a$$ long enough so you can do some honest research because you obviously have negative-nil clue as to what's what over here. Geez.... Louise. Stay angry over the truth. Stroke out over the truth. Code blue over the truth. I could care less. lol xsmhx

POD Knows
January 12th, 2020, 11:24 AM
Lies ^^^^. Guy is much more intelligent than you could ever pretend to be and looks through your transparent sham of jealousy.

Remove your thumb from your senile old cheerleader's a$$ and make it make sense-----> https://www.profootballhof.com/heroes-of-the-game/colleges/ .

#nohistory #nolegacy Choose one.Holy crap, is this the new measurement of relevance in college football. I guess Cerritos Junior College has twice the legacy of PVAM. Twice as many guys in the HOF must means they are twice as important and relevant.

Gil Dobie
January 12th, 2020, 11:30 AM
How does it?

You isolate yourself in negative unhappiness, obviously, and we normal folk dwell in positive happiness. Did you enjoy our gold jacketed member when you visited and you have not one represented there? Not one??? xlolx How many 1st round nfl draft picks did your school front at most? Don’t answer unless your name is univ of alabama, clemson, univ of tx, michigan, ...

Substantiated: #nohistory #nolegacy Be thankful your football history started only 30-33 years ago. xlolx

We do have a history that goes back more that 33 years, one of the top winning programs in college football history. NDSU history goes back to 1965 with the SWAC, defeating Grambling in 1965 for their first championship. There are Bison players and coaches in the college football hall of fame. I'm looking forward to the NCAT game next fall. I don't think the Bison players and coaches will take the game as lightly as some of the fans.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 12th, 2020, 12:13 PM
We had a stretch where we lost 2 games in 4 years. Sounds "really ***ty" to me, johnny-boy come lately. xconfusedx xsmhx

Remove that wildcat's thumb from your a$$ long enough so you can do some honest research because you obviously have negative-nil clue as to what's what over here. Geez.... Louise. Stay angry over the truth. Stroke out over the truth. Code blue over the truth. I could care less. lol xsmhx

Doesn't it get old responding the exact same way everyone on here?

Is everything racial?

Panther88
January 12th, 2020, 12:16 PM
We do have a history that goes back more that 33 years, one of the top winning programs in college football history. NDSU history goes back to 1965 with the SWAC, defeating Grambling in 1965 for their first championship. There are Bison players and coaches in the college football hall of fame. I'm looking forward to the NCAT game next fall. I don't think the Bison players and coaches will take the game as lightly as some of the fans.

I"m very aware of the game vs GSU in the 60s. Thanks.

Seems like the pulse of a few of your "fans" is one of attempted narcissism and outright myopia. Not caring one way or the other. I thought NDSU just won the FCS Nat'l Champ yesterday. So, why are those "people" ----------> in this specific thread spewing their negative venom? Obviously none of us care about them or their putrid "opinions" so why are they here? lol

Who are these "people?" xlolx

Panther88
January 12th, 2020, 12:19 PM

Is everything racial?

I gut punched your boy. So... what happens next? More futile attempts of verbal stupidity from "the other side?" xconfusedx Where is "race" in my response. Geez... man what's wrong w/ you people? lol Aren't you about to hop your flight out of dfw int'l? Thank gawd almighty lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Holy crap, is this the new measurement of relevance in college football. I guess Cerritos Junior College has twice the legacy of PVAM. Twice as many guys in the HOF must means they are twice as important and relevant.

Is their history and legacy not relevant?

Gawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwd damned common sense.... is not so common. xsmhx and xlolx

Panther88
January 12th, 2020, 12:23 PM
Dangit! We were in shorts/tee-shirts for almost a week before all you people arrived here. xsmhx This cold arse weather... you folk brought that junk here. xsmhx

And you brought your $$$$ so it was a good thing, I guess.

Edited:
You also brought a whopping 17,866 folk for the FCS nat'l championship game. Good job. xthumbsupx

lol

uni88
January 12th, 2020, 02:40 PM
In the late 80's when I attended games I was in a stadium with 7-9K frequently and MSU probably had about that same amount. There were only two big schools in the state at that point as well so not sure why with that 2nd base advantage back then that we weren't killing it then as well. I bet it is because that factor has very little to do with it but if it is the story that takes hold for some then so be it I guess. You guys with schools in large populations that have big brothers have it very tough in comparison to us lower population areas.

I didn't say it was easy for the Montanas, Dakotas or Delaware. I said it was easier for them than it is for the "directional schools" in larger population states. It it was easy then SDSU would be filling that beautiful new stadium of theirs. It's easier because you have less competition for non-alumni fans in your state/region. They're also less likely to have students who are fans of the flagship/land grant schools because they've always been fans and/or they perceive their directional school to be a "lesser" athletic program.

If I walk around the UM campus in Missoula how many hats, shirts, hoodies from other schools am I going to see? If I walk around the Carroll College campus or Rocky Mountain College campus how much Griz or Cat gear am I going to see? I know that if I walk around the UNI campus, I'm going to see a *****load of Iowa and a smaller amount of Iowa State gear.

If I go out into Helena or Billings, is the blue collar worker who didn't go to college going to be a Carroll or Rocky Mountain fan or a Griz or Cat fan? Is the business professional who graduated from Carroll, Rocky Mountain or another college going to be a Carroll or Rocky Mountain fan or a Griz or Cat fan?

UNI and other directional schools are more like Carroll or Rocky Mountain than UM or MSU when it comes to competing for fans. That's part of what makes what App State and JMU have accomplished so amazing.

Now just because it isn't easy doesn't mean that UNI shouldn't be working to improve the game-day experience and to convert those students and locals who support Iowa or Iowa State to be UNI fans first.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 12th, 2020, 03:27 PM
I didn't say it was easy for the Montanas, Dakotas or Delaware. I said it was easier for them than it is for the "directional schools" in larger population states. It it was easy then SDSU would be filling that beautiful new stadium of theirs. It's easier because you have less competition for non-alumni fans in your state/region. They're also less likely to have students who are fans of the flagship/land grant schools because they've always been fans and/or they perceive their directional school to be a "lesser" athletic program.

If I walk around the UM campus in Missoula how many hats, shirts, hoodies from other schools am I going to see? If I walk around the Carroll College campus or Rocky Mountain College campus how much Griz or Cat gear am I going to see? I know that if I walk around the UNI campus, I'm going to see a *****load of Iowa and a smaller amount of Iowa State gear.

If I go out into Helena or Billings, is the blue collar worker who didn't go to college going to be a Carroll or Rocky Mountain fan or a Griz or Cat fan? Is the business professional who graduated from Carroll, Rocky Mountain or another college going to be a Carroll or Rocky Mountain fan or a Griz or Cat fan?

UNI and other directional schools are more like Carroll or Rocky Mountain than UM or MSU when it comes to competing for fans. That's part of what makes what App State and JMU have accomplished so amazing.

Now just because it isn't easy doesn't mean that UNI shouldn't be working to improve the game-day experience and to convert those students and locals who support Iowa or Iowa State to be UNI fans first.

On UM's campus you will se a ton of Griz gear, also a lot of Oregon and Washington and Wyoming, etc., etc. gear. But we sell the **** out of gear no doubt about it...still have tons of people that follow PAC 10 though.

On the other campuses of the smaller schools you might see some from the flagships but Carroll is the one I know best as it is my hometouwn and there is way more Carrol gear on that campus than there would be UM or MSU or at least there always was but couldn't say too much about being on campus there in the last 10 yrs.

Now if you were to just go out and about in public then I'd say that even in those towns that have other institutions would be a pretty even up match for gear between their team and the flagships because all of those town do seem to have a great deal of pride in their local institutions as well. Carroll for instance has a pretty damn nice stadium 7,000 seat stadium that they built in the last 8 or 10 years that they fill up while MSU and UM are playing as well.

Things are probably changing for all of us though it would appear with some declining attendance all over but in the recent past I think there was fairly good attendance at all schools mentioned for what them being NAIA schools etc.

I don't really need to convince you but I think it has so little to do with anything and I eschew it as insignificant at best and we are now doing the same ol' arguments of what T's we find on campuses and if other schools in your situation can do it it seems to me that the excuse is fairly week to use. Iowa has much less population than the other states in the argument though.

Christiank22
January 12th, 2020, 04:01 PM
I just peaked in this thread so I’m a little lost but people are actually thinking A&T will give us a game...? LOL

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 12th, 2020, 04:46 PM
I just peaked in this thread so I’m a little lost but people are actually thinking A&T will give us a game...? LOL

There is even a poll now by troll boy 88.

POD Knows
January 12th, 2020, 04:51 PM
I gut punched your boy. So... what happens next? More futile attempts of verbal stupidity from "the other side?" xconfusedx Where is "race" in my response. Geez... man what's wrong w/ you people? lol Aren't you about to hop your flight out of dfw int'l? Thank gawd almighty lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Is their history and legacy not relevant?

Gawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwd damned common sense.... is not so common. xsmhx and xlolxIt is a team sport, not an individual sport, I don't agree that a college teams legacy is tied to whether or not one of their players made the HOF.

cx500d
January 12th, 2020, 05:58 PM

Were you even alive when that happened? I heard Yale won 16 games in a season in 1894.

Redbird 4th & short
January 12th, 2020, 06:00 PM

Is everything racial?
Unfortunately, it becomes racial when more than one MEAC/SWAC poster tells you several times that "you just hate all HBCUs", and others (not all) pile on in agreement. So I ignored it the first few times it was said to me, but then finally defended myself. There is no other way to interpret that statement when they keep saying it. kind of hard to take that accusation lightly.

Also tried to explain, I have made exact same arguments against other conferences over the years .. Colonial, Big Sky (until last few years), Ivy, Southland (mostly last year), weak autobids in general, etc .. same arguments. But they said they don't believe it bcause they haven't seen me make these same arguments, as most who know me would agree, ad nauseum. But apparently, it never happened .. so clearly I "hate all HBCUs".

UNHWildcat18
January 12th, 2020, 06:09 PM

lol you have some mental problems bro.
Sorry your school can’t make playoffs, or the celebration bowl. Maybe someday

- - - Updated - - -

lol you have some mental problems bro.
Sorry your school can’t make playoffs, or the celebration bowl. Maybe someday

Professor
January 12th, 2020, 06:45 PM
Unfortunately, it becomes racial when more than one MEAC/SWAC poster tells you several times that "you just hate all HBCUs", and others (not all) pile on in agreement. So I ignored it the first few times it was said to me, but then finally defended myself. There is no other way to interpret that statement when they keep saying it. kind of hard to take that accusation lightly.

Also tried to explain, I have made exact same arguments against other conferences over the years .. Colonial, Big Sky (until last few years), Ivy, Southland (mostly last year), weak autobids in general, etc .. same arguments. But they said they don't believe it bcause they haven't seen me make these same arguments, as most who know me would agree, ad nauseum. But apparently, it never happened .. so clearly I "hate all HBCUs".

Your last 100 posts have been about 2 subjects

The national title game
HBCUs

If you have made other comments concerning other conferences they must be buried in the AGS archives. You been on one hell of a HBCU tear since the SCSU playoff post
https://www.anygivensaturday.com/search.php?searchid=4110357&pp=

Panther88
January 12th, 2020, 09:14 PM

The national title game
HBCUs

If you have made other comments concerning other conferences they must be buried in the AGS archives. You been on one hell of a HBCU tear since the SCSU playoff post

These folk give new meaning to CK’s Obsession. xlolx. Look at them. A whole calvary of them banging the keys on something they allegedly don’t care about. lol

Didn’t a team just win the fcs nat’l champ game? Why are they in this thread? xlolx Dysfunct... lol

Redbird 4th & short
January 12th, 2020, 10:18 PM

The national title game
HBCUs

you are delusional for thinking I would lie about this ... last year, I went very hard after the FCS Selection Committee and its Chairman (UNH AD Scarano) of 14 straight years, who's influence on that committee has been in question for many years for their giving Colonial 6 bids (one of which was 6-4) and Southland 3 bids (two of which were 6-4), while MVFC got just 3 bids and our 6-4 team stayed home. I was makinng identical arguments based on the Massey Composite and my analysis of quality wins and losses .. the exact same basis for arguments about rankings, bids, and seeds since I joined AGS over 5 years ago I think. And the exact same basis for arguments I've used on MEAC teams, that as well as playoff history.

Why you would dispute this fact, about my posting history on topics like this, having no idea whether it was true or not, just to win an argument in your mind. now consider that I 100% know this to be true, yet you incredibly dispute it ... now imagine how foolish I know you to be, that you would dispute this having no idea that it is in fact 100% true. Bottom line .. that's how I know you are full of crap.

So here is the Massey Composite ranking of 40 polls, still as of Dec 7th .. link and screenshot of just MEAC teams. Note, I don;t take this at face value. And IMO, I think NC A&T is not 31st, I think they are probably top 20-25. FL A&M lloked higher but faded some late, so I would put them in 25-30 range. But SC State IMO is probably in the 35-40 range.

https://www.masseyratings.com/ranks?s=cf&sub=fcs

Team
Conf
Record
Massey Comp 40 Polls

NC A&T (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=5500&s=308075)
MEAC (https://www.masseyratings.com/ranks?s=cf2019&sub=12545)
9-3

Florida A&M (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=2633&s=308075)
9-2

S Carolina St (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=7250&s=308075)
8-3

Bethune-Cookman (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=691&s=308075)
7-4

Norfolk St (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=5475&s=308075)
5-7

NC Central (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=5505&s=308075)
4-8

Morgan St (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=5114&s=308075)
3-9

Howard (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=3359&s=308075)
2-10

Delaware St (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=2118&s=308075)
2-10

Panther88
January 12th, 2020, 10:23 PM
OMFG!!! Energizer bunnies multiplying in frigid air lol xlolx. Look at them. lol

Professor
January 13th, 2020, 09:07 AM
you are delusional for thinking I would lie about this ... last year, I went very hard after the FCS Selection Committee and its Chairman (UNH AD Scarano) of 14 straight years, who's influence on that committee has been in question for many years for their giving Colonial 6 bids (one of which was 6-4) and Southland 3 bids (two of which were 6-4), while MVFC got just 3 bids and our 6-4 team stayed home. I was makinng identical arguments based on the Massey Composite and my analysis of quality wins and losses .. the exact same basis for arguments about rankings, bids, and seeds since I joined AGS over 5 years ago I think. And the exact same basis for arguments I've used on MEAC teams, that as well as playoff history.

Why you would dispute this fact, about my posting history on topics like this, having no idea whether it was true or not, just to win an argument in your mind. now consider that I 100% know this to be true, yet you incredibly dispute it ... now imagine how foolish I know you to be, that you would dispute this having no idea that it is in fact 100% true. Bottom line .. that's how I know you are full of crap.

So here is the Massey Composite ranking of 40 polls, still as of Dec 7th .. link and screenshot of just MEAC teams. Note, I don;t take this at face value. And IMO, I think NC A&T is not 31st, I think they are probably top 20-25. FL A&M lloked higher but faded some late, so I would put them in 25-30 range. But SC State IMO is probably in the 35-40 range.

https://www.masseyratings.com/ranks?s=cf&sub=fcs

Team
Conf
Record
Massey Comp 40 Polls

NC A&T (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=5500&s=308075)
9-3

Florida A&M (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=2633&s=308075)
9-2

S Carolina St (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=7250&s=308075)
8-3

Bethune-Cookman (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=691&s=308075)
7-4

Norfolk St (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=5475&s=308075)
5-7

NC Central (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=5505&s=308075)
4-8

Morgan St (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=5114&s=308075)
3-9

Howard (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=3359&s=308075)
2-10

Delaware St (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=2118&s=308075)
2-10

If you made all these posts about these topics , they would be on the site. A simple link would prove it. I posted the link to show what you talk about. Haven't called you anything. Just showed that you have a hard on for HBCUs

Professor
January 13th, 2020, 09:10 AM
These folk give new meaning to CK’s Obsession. xlolx. Look at them. A whole calvary of them banging the keys on something they allegedly don’t care about. lol

Didn’t a team just win the fcs nat’l champ game? Why are they in this thread? xlolx Dysfunct... lol

Lol

uni88
January 13th, 2020, 10:47 AM
If you made all these posts about these topics , they would be on the site. A simple link would prove it. I posted the link to show what you talk about. Haven't called you anything. Just showed that you have a hard on for HBCUs

I don't know if my word means anything but I can verify that RB4&S has been critical of the selection committee and the CAA. He consistently uses Massey to support his arguments. I believe he has also complimented the MEAC and SWAC on the Celebration Bowl. FCS overall would be better if they participated in the playoffs but it's a good deal for them in terms of dollars and exposure.

uni88
January 13th, 2020, 10:51 AM
On UM's campus you will se a ton of Griz gear, also a lot of Oregon and Washington and Wyoming, etc., etc. gear. But we sell the **** out of gear no doubt about it...still have tons of people that follow PAC 10 though.

On the other campuses of the smaller schools you might see some from the flagships but Carroll is the one I know best as it is my hometouwn and there is way more Carrol gear on that campus than there would be UM or MSU or at least there always was but couldn't say too much about being on campus there in the last 10 yrs.

Now if you were to just go out and about in public then I'd say that even in those towns that have other institutions would be a pretty even up match for gear between their team and the flagships because all of those town do seem to have a great deal of pride in their local institutions as well. Carroll for instance has a pretty damn nice stadium 7,000 seat stadium that they built in the last 8 or 10 years that they fill up while MSU and UM are playing as well.

Things are probably changing for all of us though it would appear with some declining attendance all over but in the recent past I think there was fairly good attendance at all schools mentioned for what them being NAIA schools etc.

I don't really need to convince you but I think it has so little to do with anything and I eschew it as insignificant at best and we are now doing the same ol' arguments of what T's we find on campuses and if other schools in your situation can do it it seems to me that the excuse is fairly week to use. Iowa has much less population than the other states in the argument though.

So we agree that it is a thing but we disagree on how significant it is. I don't think either one of us is going to change the other's mind. It would be interesting to see what others think.

Will you be at the Griz/Cal Poly game in September? I owe you a beer or two for missing UNI/Griz a couple of years ago.

Redbird 4th & short
January 13th, 2020, 12:23 PM
I don't know if my word means anything but I can verify that RB4&S has been critical of the selection committee and the CAA. He consistently uses Massey to support his arguments. I believe he has also complimented the MEAC and SWAC on the Celebration Bowl. FCS overall would be better if they participated in the playoffs but it's a good deal for them in terms of dollars and exposure.
thanks for validating .... only clarification is Massey Composite of 40 polls is my go to. I don't like using any single computer poll ... works ok, but prone to aberrations and statistical bias by end of season .. strong conferences can look too strong, weak conferences can look too weak. The only time I uses Massey alone, is for quick & dirty look at SOS, because they make it so easy to navigate. But if I have time and inclination, I'll dig in and use Massey Composite even for SOS .. repeated did this with my MEAC analysis, but even then recognized that MEAC is probably better than what Massey Composite indicates .. as I mentioned several times.

Thanks again.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 13th, 2020, 12:56 PM
So we agree that it is a thing but we disagree on how significant it is. I don't think either one of us is going to change the other's mind. It would be interesting to see what others think.

Will you be at the Griz/Cal Poly game in September? I owe you a beer or two for missing UNI/Griz a couple of years ago.

Yep on first sentence.

I've never missed a game in WaGriz and if all goes well I will continue that streak right on through next season so I look forward to seeing you at that time. You'll be drinking at our tailgate though so I don't think you'll be buying too much.

thebootfitter
January 14th, 2020, 07:21 PM
A&T will beat them next season IF NDSU hasn't progressed from this season's 2019 team. And I'm not afraid to say that, others might be, I'm not.
Wait... what??? I just started reading this thread. Was just about to determine that it isn't worth reading the spats back and forth, and then I saw this gem. I am guessing that others have called it out too, but wow! What a hot take!

I hope you're going to the game, R.A.! Have fun, regardless of the outcome.

thebootfitter
January 14th, 2020, 09:28 PM
I just peaked in this thread so I’m a little lost but people are actually thinking A&T will give us a game...? LOLEvidently. At least one individual is making that claim. See my post just above. I'm in the same boat as you.

It's maybe not far off from me posting on an Oregon fan forum that we have a shot at winning. Except that there are some valid arguments to be made for NDSU making a game of it with the Ducks. There's not as big of a difference between NDSU and a top 25 FBS team capable of competing with a top 10 Oregon as there is between NC A&T and NDSU. I'm not saying it's impossible for the Aggies to beat the former Aggies, but it will take a miracle day for the current Aggies and a lot of mistakes from the former ones.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hammerhead
January 14th, 2020, 09:54 PM
NDSU already gets the most airtime on local sports and a large majority of corporate dollars in the state. NDSU will never get more state funding since many state legislators graduated from the UND law school. I'm sure UND has some corporate sponsors for their football program, but it's probably small potatoes compared to NDSU. (Potato processing is a big thing in Grand Forks where UND is located.)

I'm not aware of any other schools in ND that could steal your thunder...you should be able to capture the attention of press, sponsors, lions share of funding. Here in NC it's very hard having 4 ACC schools and 3 other smaller FBS programs...not to mention the FCS programs to compete with.

Bisonoline
January 14th, 2020, 11:32 PM
Were you even alive when that happened? I heard Yale won 16 games in a season in 1894.

:D xthumbsupx

Professor
January 15th, 2020, 10:07 AM
Evidently. At least one individual is making that claim. See my post just above. I'm in the same boat as you.

It's maybe not far off from me posting on an Oregon fan forum that we have a shot at winning. Except that there are some valid arguments to be made for NDSU making a game of it with the Ducks. There's not as big of a difference between NDSU and a top 25 FBS team capable of competing with a top 10 Oregon as there is between NC A&T and NDSU. I'm not saying it's impossible for the Aggies to beat the former Aggies, but it will take a miracle day for the current Aggies and a lot of mistakes from the former ones.

It's no different. Everyone wants their team to win every game. It's just some NDSU fans that are taking this kinda personal

thebootfitter
January 15th, 2020, 10:09 AM
It's no different. Everyone wants their team to win every game. It's just some NDSU fans that are taking this kinda personalNo. There's a difference between believing your team is better than another (when it is clearly not) and believing that you have a chance to win.

Professor
January 15th, 2020, 10:28 AM
No. There's a difference between believing your team is better than another (when it is clearly not) and believing that you have a chance to win.

Showing that your better than another team takes place on the field. Everyone believes their team is the best , then the scoreboard hits 0:00 and you can see for yourself

Ya'll NDSU folks are real sensitive lol. Ya'll should worry about Oregon because our focus is on Liberty

thebootfitter
January 15th, 2020, 10:56 AM
Showing that your better than another team takes place on the field. Everyone believes their team is the best , then the scoreboard hits 0:00 and you can see for yourself

Ya'll NDSU folks are real sensitive lol. Ya'll should worry about Oregon because our focus is on LibertyShowing that you're the better team on any particular day absolutely takes place on the field. No arguments. But the body of work is what determines which team is better. That's why you see teams that won a head to head match up ranked lower in polls and computers.

That's the simple distinction that I'm offering here. I'm not sensitive at all. I don't care if some A&T fans think they can take down the Bison. Perhaps they can. It may be unlikely, but there's certainly a chance.

It could be any two teams with a relatively wide gap in overall performance and skill that we're talking about. If a fan from the lesser team says "we are clearly a better team," then I'll call him/her out on that. That's what is happening here.

See the distinction?

Professor
January 15th, 2020, 11:15 AM
Showing that you're the better team on any particular day absolutely takes place on the field. No arguments. But the body of work is what determines which team is better. That's why you see teams that won a head to head match up ranked lower in polls and computers.

That's the simple distinction that I'm offering here. I'm not sensitive at all. I don't care if some A&T fans think they can take down the Bison. Perhaps they can. It may be unlikely, but there's certainly a chance.

It could be any two teams with a relatively wide gap in overall performance and skill that we're talking about. If a fan from the lesser team says "we are clearly a better team," then I'll call him/her out on that. That's what is happening here.

See the distinction?

We aren't talking about overall programs. We talking about one game. Haven't seen one person say A&T is a better program than NDSU. So no i don't really see where you are going. I've seen A&T and others beat several FCS teams and they were still considered to be worse than them. Or they claim it was luck. Or we got a new offense and we struggled. Or a new coach , or whatever excuse to justify why they lost.

On any given Saturday you can lose. Your 11 against my 11.

Redbird 4th & short
January 15th, 2020, 12:36 PM
It's no different. Everyone wants their team to win every game. It's just some NDSU fans that are taking this kinda personal
Talking about moving goal posts.

Most of this debate is most definitely not about "any given saturday". It has been mostly about which teams and conference deserves higher rankings and seeds .. which clearly is not about "any given saturday".

And RA clearly said, if NDSU doesn't get any better in 2020 (just an odd stipulation), then NC A&T will win. Meaning, they are better right now going into next season. He and a few others also said the Top #3 MEAC teams looked just as good as most of the top 8 seeds in this years playoff.

Any given saturday type statements ... no, not at all.

Spare us your revisionist nonsense to again wishfully thinking it will win you the current exchange.

Professor
January 15th, 2020, 02:50 PM
Talking about moving goal posts.

Most of this debate is most definitely not about "any given saturday". It has been mostly about which teams and conference deserves higher rankings and seeds .. which clearly is not about "any given saturday".

And RA clearly said, if NDSU doesn't get any better in 2020 (just an odd stipulation), then NC A&T will win. Meaning, they are better right now going into next season. He and a few others also said the Top #3 MEAC teams looked just as good as most of the top 8 seeds in this years playoff.

Any given saturday type statements ... no, not at all.

Spare us your revisionist nonsense to again wishfully thinking it will win you the current exchange.

RA is one person. His thoughts are his. Not a representative of all HBCU fans. Hell he isn't an Aggie. But your trying to use his words for justification

Actually this conversation was the Celebration Bowl and A&T using it to grow it's program. That's what is in the article

Again you have HBCU's on the brain lol

Redbird 4th & short
January 15th, 2020, 04:01 PM
RA is one person. His thoughts are his. Not a representative of all HBCU fans. Hell he isn't an Aggie. But your trying to use his words for justification

Actually this conversation was the Celebration Bowl and A&T using it to grow it's program. That's what is in the article

Again you have HBCU's on the brain lol
yes, but this thread has drifted with plenty of help from both sides of argument into how good MEAC is compared to rest of FCS.

But once again, you evade the point. The point being you are a historical revisionist .. RA made his comment on this thread, hence te poster who just responded to it. Just one example of this thread drift from a MEAC fan. But clearly RA's statement was not an "any given saturday" declaration. He was saying NC A&T is better than NDSU now ... but then he put up his odd stipulation .. "asuming they dont get any better from this season".

cx500d
January 15th, 2020, 04:41 PM
Showing that you're the better team on any particular day absolutely takes place on the field. No arguments. But the body of work is what determines which team is better. That's why you see teams that won a head to head match up ranked lower in polls and computers.

See the distinction?

They absolutely can - Howard and Bucknell.

thebootfitter
January 15th, 2020, 11:38 PM
We aren't talking about overall programs. We talking about one game. Haven't seen one person say A&T is a better program than NDSU.
R.A. Is quotes above as saying that "A&T WILL beat them if NDSU hasn't progressed as a team from 2019."

He is clearly indicating that the NDSU team is inferior to the A&T team. He offers no indication that A&T might play better than NDSU for that one game.

The latter would be fine. The former is demonstrably false with a number of different metrics.

Redbird 4th & short
January 16th, 2020, 07:52 AM
R.A. Is quotes above as saying that "A&T WILL beat them if NDSU hasn't progressed as a team from 2019."

He is clearly indicating that the NDSU team is inferior to the A&T team. He offers no indication that A&T might play better than NDSU for that one game.

The latter would be fine. The former is demonstrably false with a number of different metrics.

this ... and there was other chatter from other MEAC fans about how the top 3 MEAC teams looked just as good as most of the top 8 seeds.

Professor sees only one side of this and actually believes they can have a thread that makes rediculous claims, and no one is allowed to refute it. If they do, then they "hate all HBCUs".

Then when you put some context to their wins, he quickly resorts to accusations of "shifting goal posts" if you point out that the Elon team you beat went 5-6 this year after making playoffs last year ... so Elon's play this year (vs last year) shifted the goal posts for me, but he says I did .... and he wants full credit for saying NC A&T beat another playoff team .. which they didn't. In fact, they barely beat a 5-6 team at home, from a conference having a down year. But sure, I'm shifting the goal posts.

A&T AGGIE96
January 16th, 2020, 08:08 AM
I remember starting this topic after reading the article in the local Greensboro news. I posted it at a number of HBCU boards as well as I recall. Now we talking about a programs "body of work"..."who is better than who"...etc.

I was hoping to spark a conversation on the future of FCS football and how we can use our leverage to grow, fund, and promote our programs.

As many of you know I for one am not pleased at all with the current FCS playoff system. How teams are selected, how it's funded, costs for the participants, branding, and promotion...It does very little for our schools.

You just can't treat football like basketball...it's a different animal. It's more regional and cultural. The FCS playoffs is a one size fits all solution...but truth is it doesn't fit.

We are a part of a "sub division" which is another way of saying secondary and sub-par. We need to create something that attracts new membership...the best FCS programs for the most part want out as soon as they get a chance.

Can we find a way to move this thread to making things better...thinking outside of our current box. What some of you think might work better.

Professor
January 16th, 2020, 08:43 AM

LOL , So again RA speaks for A&T and all HBCU's? Or is that his personal opinion

Look win or lose. Ya'll called us. Your paying us 240K. Sorry that a fan of another school actually thinks we have a shot?

I don't think he meant to damage the ego of the 8 time FCS champion.

Professor
January 16th, 2020, 08:50 AM
this ... and there was other chatter from other MEAC fans about how the top 3 MEAC teams looked just as good as most of the top 8 seeds.

Professor sees only one side of this and actually believes they can have a thread that makes rediculous claims, and no one is allowed to refute it. If they do, then they "hate all HBCUs".

Then when you put some context to their wins, he quickly resorts to accusations of "shifting goal posts" if you point out that the Elon team you beat went 5-6 this year after making playoffs last year ... so Elon's play this year (vs last year) shifted the goal posts for me, but he says I did .... and he wants full credit for saying NC A&T beat another playoff team .. which they didn't. In fact, they barely beat a 5-6 team at home, from a conference having a down year. But sure, I'm shifting the goal posts.

And that is A&T fault how? A&T doesn't control what Elon record is. That game was scheduled in 2014. It was the last of a 4 game contract that the last game got moved because ESPN called us and wanted us to play on tv against Tulsa.

No one cares about your analysis of our wins. Your the same guy who said our win against Jacksonville state was slighted because they out gained us on Offense.

And the word is ridiculous.........

Let me say this clear so you understand. THERE ISN'T AN A&T FAN THAT GIVES A GOOD GOT D#@N WHAT YOU THINK. We are here in FCS regardless if you like it or not. If you want to prove how superior you are , Call your AD and ask him to reach out to Earl Hilton...... 336-285-3600 or email [email protected] and get him to schedule a game.

Redbird 4th & short
January 16th, 2020, 09:06 AM
And that is A&T fault how? A&T doesn't control what Elon record is. That game was scheduled in 2014. It was the last of a 4 game contract that the last game got moved because ESPN called us and wanted us to play on tv against Tulsa.

Your the same guy who said our win against Jacksonville state was slighted because they out gained us on Offense.

And the word is ridiculous.........

Let me say this clear so you understand. THERE ISN'T AN A&T FAN THAT GIVES A GOOD GOT D#@N WHAT YOU THINK. We are here in FCS regardless if you like it or not. If you want to prove how superior you are , Call your AD and ask him to reach out to Earl Hilton...... 336-285-3600 or email [email protected] and get him to schedule a game.
youre missing the entire point .. I have zero issue with NC A&T or MEAC or HBCUs. My issue is entirely with fans/posters who make rediculous claims. Hence, why I brought up arguments over Colonoal getting to omany bids, or Big Sky, ro Southland, or the random top team from a one bid conference who thinks their 10-1 record makes them a top 8 seed. You really need to accept that because again, you are missing the point .. youre post above makes that much clear.

Professor
January 16th, 2020, 09:34 AM
youre missing the entire point .. I have zero issue with NC A&T or MEAC or HBCUs. My issue is entirely with fans/posters who make rediculous claims. Hence, why I brought up arguments over Colonoal getting to omany bids, or Big Sky, ro Southland, or the random top team from a one bid conference who thinks their 10-1 record makes them a top 8 seed. You really need to accept that because again, you are missing the point .. youre post above makes that much clear.

The word is ridiculous. If you have an issue with those fans, then address that fan. Stop addressing me because i'm not saying whatever it is your trying to disprove. Thanks

A&T AGGIE96
January 16th, 2020, 09:57 AM

Redbird, it's not that serious...I mean really, unless a poster is on the selection committee or something what any of us says is just the random rants of a fan...including YOU. I got some issues with who gets bid and why, but to sit around and try to make sense of a system that really doesn't make sense is a bit much. Some of the selection foolishness just can't be explained. You just really need to accept that and move on.

that guy
January 16th, 2020, 10:02 AM
I remember starting this topic after reading the article in the local Greensboro news. I posted it at a number of HBCU boards as well as I recall. Now we talking about a programs "body of work"..."who is better than who"...etc.

I was hoping to spark a conversation on the future of FCS football and how we can use our leverage to grow, fund, and promote our programs.

As many of you know I for one am not pleased at all with the current FCS playoff system. How teams are selected, how it's funded, costs for the participants, branding, and promotion...It does very little for our schools.

You just can't treat football like basketball...it's a different animal. It's more regional and cultural. The FCS playoffs is a one size fits all solution...but truth is it doesn't fit.

We are a part of a "sub division" which is another way of saying secondary and sub-par. We need to create something that attracts new membership...the best FCS programs for the most part want out as soon as they get a chance.

Can we find a way to move this thread to making things better...thinking outside of our current box. What some of you think might work better.
IMO fcs is a middler just like the g5 teams but with a playoff system. You can move up or down a division or sit there and take it. Fcs has done well for some schools and not for others, which may lead me to believe it is to each school to do their own part. If fcs would require each conference to have their conference champ go to the playoffs or move up to d1 or down to d3 if they don't it might create a bit more buzz around the playoffs and maybe light a fire under some schools. I think made for tv bowls and academic excuses deter from the playoffs and entire fcs.

WestCoastAggie
January 16th, 2020, 10:44 AM
IMO fcs is a middler just like the g5 teams but with a playoff system. You can move up or down a division or sit there and take it. Fcs has done well for some schools and not for others, which may lead me to believe it is to each school to do their own part. If fcs would require each conference to have their conference champ go to the playoffs or move up to d1 or down to d3 if they don't it might create a bit more buzz around the playoffs and maybe light a fire under some schools. I think made for tv bowls and academic excuses deter from the playoffs and entire fcs.

I don't think the Celebration Bowl or the Ivy League's lack of participating has taken away from NDSU or the FCS Playoffs as a whole. I also don't think the playoffs has taken away from the Celebration Bowl.

In essence, I love the freedom we have within the NCAA to do kinda what we want to do for the betterment of our universities and the students that attend.

Panther88
January 16th, 2020, 11:19 AM

Unfortunately, you're on the wrong board w/ that positive foolishness. ags folk, the lot of them who are staunch fcs playoff proponents, they are entrenched in their "sheeple" ways and cannot see any other way but what they have been programmed to believe is right since i-aa was created earlier 1978(1977?).

If you're traveling to bucktussa, north dakotey, beware of that post-game green/gold "atta'boy" pat on your back which may have a knife attached to it. xlolx lol

lol lmao xbowx 5....4....3....2....

Professor
January 16th, 2020, 11:23 AM
I don't think the Celebration Bowl or the Ivy League's lack of participating has taken away from NDSU or the FCS Playoffs as a whole. I also don't think the playoffs has taken away from the Celebration Bowl.

In essence, I love the freedom we have within the NCAA to do kinda what we want to do for the betterment of our universities and the students that attend.

I don't see what it has taken away either

Redbird 4th & short
January 16th, 2020, 11:28 AM
Redbird, it's not that serious...I mean really, unless a poster is on the selection committee or something what any of us says is just the random rants of a fan...including YOU. I got some issues with who gets bid and why, but to sit around and try to make sense of a system that really doesn't make sense is a bit much. Some of the selection foolishness just can't be explained. You just really need to accept that and move on.
Agreed.. again my only issue are the posters claiming MEAC is a 3 or 4 bid league this year. It has been said or inferred by several posters, not just RA.

WestCoastAggie
January 16th, 2020, 11:51 AM
Agreed.. again my only issue are the posters claiming MEAC is a 3 or 4 bid league this year. It has been said or inferred by several posters, not just RA.

I don't think the MEAC is multi-bid league, yet. A&T, BCU, SC State and FAMU are close to becoming shoe ins for the playoff bids. The conference is getting closer but we gotta keep winning these OOC games against PWIs consistently before we can expect at-large bids like the CAA.

A&T AGGIE96
January 16th, 2020, 12:02 PM

That Guy, I'm not sure what part of the country you live in but around these parts FCS is not considered "middler". G5 schools despite getting messed over by the BCS are held in much higher regard than FCS programs. They are better funded, have more popular brands, get regular press, and more looks from top athletes. I can agree with you that each FCS school should do their own part...but not for the glory of FCS, but for their own university advancement.

The FCS is in no position to require each conference to send their conference champ anywhere...the FCS isn't paying for anything. Heck, some FCS schools have to bid on playoff games. If the FCS was to make such demands of the MEAC and SWAC they better come with multi-million dollar checks in hand. Being forced into the current FCS playoff schedule would eliminate all the Thanksgiving weekend classics that are traditions in BCF. Older Aggies still talk about the holiday weekend match ups between NC A&T and NCCU. IF we went to a conference championship game like the SWAC maybe some of those games will come back on the East Coast. Then add to that the revenue and exposure generated by the Celebration bowl. A&T got basically a three hour commercial on ABC and a million dollars...no way we give that up. MEAC schools have two options...win the championship for a shot at a bowl game...or play a schedule and win games that will earn you a spot in the FCS playoff. Well, that doesn't often work either...ask SCSU.

I don't like the current system and would like to see it changed, but if it works for some, or if they can't do better then they can have at it. The MEAC, SWAC, and the Ivy have all said we will pass. It's only a matter of time before others follow. I think the next big thing will be regional bowl games.

A&T AGGIE96
January 16th, 2020, 12:12 PM
I don't think the MEAC is multi-bid league, yet. A&T, BCU, SC State and FAMU are close to becoming shoe ins for the playoff bids. The conference is getting closer but we gotta keep winning these OOC games against PWIs consistently before we can expect at-large bids like the CAA.

I hear what you saying WestCoast, but at what cost? History, culture, and tradition points us in a completely different direction. I can see the expressions at the next Alumni meeting, Church social, or family gathering when the new football schedule is discussed.

Among BCF fans if you say A&T is playing JSU next season everyone is going to be thinking Jackson State and when, where, and are tickets available. If you say....no, no, Jacksonville State the collective response is going to be "Who"?

There will be push back...strong push back. I don't think BCF fans are willing to give up games that "mean" something to us to play games that mean something to a playoff committee. Especially after how SCSU and BCU have been messed over recently.

A&T AGGIE96
January 16th, 2020, 12:21 PM
Unfortunately, you're on the wrong board w/ that positive foolishness. ags folk, the lot of them who are staunch fcs playoff proponents, they are entrenched in their "sheeple" ways and cannot see any other way but what they have been programmed to believe is right since i-aa was created earlier 1978(1977?).

If you're traveling to bucktussa, north dakotey, beware of that post-game green/gold "atta'boy" pat on your back which may have a knife attached to it. xlolx lol

lol lmao xbowx 5....4....3....2....

Oh I know the deal on this board Panther88. I used to post and read discussions on here many years ago back when the SoCon was running things and Ga Southern and App State were juggernauts. They have long since moved on, so the players have changed but the mind set has not. It was my hope that there would be new voices and ideas around how to make some true changes inside FCS...Iaa or whatever we wanna call it now. Well at least something bigger than who gets an auto bid and how large/how many teams should the playoff field be.

thebootfitter
January 16th, 2020, 12:44 PM
LOL , So again RA speaks for A&T and all HBCU's? Or is that his personal opinion

Look win or lose. Ya'll called us. Your paying us 240K. Sorry that a fan of another school actually thinks we have a shot?

I don't think he meant to damage the ego of the 8 time FCS champion.
You're not very good at this, are you?

Look, you said, and I quote:

We aren't talking about overall programs. We talking about one game. Haven't seen one person say A&T is a better program than NDSU. .

I pointed out that one person did, in fact, say A&T is a better team than NDSU. See quote below.

A&T will beat them next season IF NDSU hasn't progressed from this season's 2019 team. And I'm not afraid to say that, others might be, I'm not.

I think the reality of the present, is distorted by perceptions based on the reality of past years.

The MEAC is better than in the Past, so is the SWAC. Our Top Teams are as strong as the top teams in other FCS conferences.
And now you're spouting off about RA speaking for all HBCUs??? Where the hell did that come from?

No egos are damaged here that I can tell. All I was doing was calling out a single individual for making an absurd and demonstrably false claim. You challenged me for calling him out. I called you out on your obvious mistake. No harm no foul, but don't dig in and try to change the narrative here. It's quite simple. Admit you misunderstood and move on.

citdog
January 16th, 2020, 12:59 PM
I used to think the MEAC and SWAC were just dodging the playoffs due to their lack of success in winning there. A &T is a good program and so are the Orangeburg Bulldogs. The system as set up now is not a bad one for all involved. Now the IVY League? That's a whole other story...

thebootfitter
January 16th, 2020, 12:59 PM

It sounds like FCS is probably not the right place for A&T then, along with other schools who aren't interested in playing for an NCAA championship through the playoff system. The name of the sub-division is quite clearly "Football Championship Subdivision." Perhaps D-II or D-III might be a better fit? Or find enough like minded institutions to form a separate division somehow that aligns with your goals?

I'm not saying I want A&T or any other schools out of FCS. I'm just saying that any effort to change a sub-division where playing for a national championship is an integral part of the package is probably not a winning proposition.

Hey, I get the reasoning. And I'm in support of the choice to play the Celebration Bowl. I agree that it is good for your institution in many ways. I don't want to take that away from you at all. But I don't agree in any way, shape, or form with trying to morph a division that is focused on a national championship into something different.

I don't think you have a leg to stand on, regardless of how much you don't "like" the current system. It is how it is largely because of NCAA rules that govern all sports. If you really don't like the playoff system, you're barking up the wrong tree. You'll need to either get the attention of the NCAA somehow and get them to rethink their whole structure (good luck!) or find a way to operate outside of the NCAA playoff system. Apparently your institution is choosing the latter. Probably a wise move. But it won't move the needle on how the playoffs are structured.

Professor
January 16th, 2020, 02:27 PM
You're not very good at this, are you?

Look, you said, and I quote:

I pointed out that one person did, in fact, say A&T is a better team than NDSU. See quote below.

And now you're spouting off about RA speaking for all HBCUs??? Where the hell did that come from?

No egos are damaged here that I can tell. All I was doing was calling out a single individual for making an absurd and demonstrably false claim. You challenged me for calling him out. I called you out on your obvious mistake. No harm no foul, but don't dig in and try to change the narrative here. It's quite simple. Admit you misunderstood and move on.

Constitution allows free speech whether it is factual or not. Is what it is.

I haven't misunderstood anything.

WestCoastAggie
January 16th, 2020, 02:57 PM
I hear what you saying WestCoast, but at what cost? History, culture, and tradition points us in a completely different direction. I can see the expressions at the next Alumni meeting, Church social, or family gathering when the new football schedule is discussed.

Among BCF fans if you say A&T is playing JSU next season everyone is going to be thinking Jackson State and when, where, and are tickets available. If you say....no, no, Jacksonville State the collective response is going to be "Who"?

There will be push back...strong push back. I don't think BCF fans are willing to give up games that "mean" something to us to play games that mean something to a playoff committee. Especially after how SCSU and BCU have been messed over recently.

Right now, we have the best of both worlds. We can schedule these OOC teams (and hopefully beat them) while having the goal of making it to the Celebration Bowl yearly taking home almost $800K in cash and ticket sales. Right now, there are plenty of A&T alumni that are uber excited at the prospects of play NDSU and made plans for Fargo, ND as soon as the game was announced. But there would be a collective sigh if the CB ever went away.

In terms of the playoffs, despite only one team making it to the bowl game, there are numerous teams that want the prospect of keeping their successful season going as long as they can in the playoffs. Winning these OOC games only help that cause.

WestCoastAggie
January 16th, 2020, 02:58 PM
It sounds like FCS is probably not the right place for A&T then, along with other schools who aren't interested in playing for an NCAA championship through the playoff system. The name of the sub-division is quite clearly "Football Championship Subdivision." Perhaps D-II or D-III might be a better fit? Or find enough like minded institutions to form a separate division somehow that aligns with your goals?

I'm not saying I want A&T or any other schools out of FCS. I'm just saying that any effort to change a sub-division where playing for a national championship is an integral part of the package is probably not a winning proposition.

Hey, I get the reasoning. And I'm in support of the choice to play the Celebration Bowl. I agree that it is good for your institution in many ways. I don't want to take that away from you at all. But I don't agree in any way, shape, or form with trying to morph a division that is focused on a national championship into something different.

I don't think you have a leg to stand on, regardless of how much you don't "like" the current system. It is how it is largely because of NCAA rules that govern all sports. If you really don't like the playoff system, you're barking up the wrong tree. You'll need to either get the attention of the NCAA somehow and get them to rethink their whole structure (good luck!) or find a way to operate outside of the NCAA playoff system. Apparently your institution is choosing the latter. Probably a wise move. But it won't move the needle on how the playoffs are structured.

Like NDSU, A&T doesn't see a true reason of looking to move up to the FBS level, right now. That may change in the future but as of now, we are enjoying are run of Celebration Bowl appearances.

that guy
January 16th, 2020, 03:35 PM
That Guy, I'm not sure what part of the country you live in but around these parts FCS is not considered "middler". G5 schools despite getting messed over by the BCS are held in much higher regard than FCS programs. They are better funded, have more popular brands, get regular press, and more looks from top athletes. I can agree with you that each FCS school should do their own part...but not for the glory of FCS, but for their own university advancement.

The FCS is in no position to require each conference to send their conference champ anywhere...the FCS isn't paying for anything. Heck, some FCS schools have to bid on playoff games. If the FCS was to make such demands of the MEAC and SWAC they better come with multi-million dollar checks in hand. Being forced into the current FCS playoff schedule would eliminate all the Thanksgiving weekend classics that are traditions in BCF. Older Aggies still talk about the holiday weekend match ups between NC A&T and NCCU. IF we went to a conference championship game like the SWAC maybe some of those games will come back on the East Coast. Then add to that the revenue and exposure generated by the Celebration bowl. A&T got basically a three hour commercial on ABC and a million dollars...no way we give that up. MEAC schools have two options...win the championship for a shot at a bowl game...or play a schedule and win games that will earn you a spot in the FCS playoff. Well, that doesn't often work either...ask SCSU.

I don't like the current system and would like to see it changed, but if it works for some, or if they can't do better then they can have at it. The MEAC, SWAC, and the Ivy have all said we will pass. It's only a matter of time before others follow. I think the next big thing will be regional bowl games.
So if you finished second in your conference and got an at large bid to the playoffs you would turn it down for a "classic" game?

Panther88
January 17th, 2020, 08:26 AM
Oh I know the deal on this board Panther88. I used to post and read discussions on here many years ago back when the SoCon was running things and Ga Southern and App State were juggernauts. They have long since moved on, so the players have changed but the mind set has not. It was my hope that there would be new voices and ideas around how to make some true changes inside FCS...Iaa or whatever we wanna call it now. Well at least something bigger than who gets an auto bid and how large/how many teams should the playoff field be.

The fcs playoffs and severe lack of appeal to avg people is a “their problem,” not BCF problem. Seems like the conf CEOs of the SWAC/MEAC and our fanbases have spoken w/ their invested $$$$ and ideologies regarding the fcs playoffs; hence why we are 1000% committed to The CB and continued competition vs fcs playoff schools... OOC while also maintaining the historical games that truly interest our fans/alumni, actual supporters.

The #s do not lie. Look at the #s of the top 10 attended fcs games fall 2019. Top-20. Everything everyone needs to know is there in those small college #s. We continue to do it our way, the right way, and then there’s that one exception, ndsu-yale/harvard, that breaks the top 10. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Edit:

BCF is NOT healthy as it once was but it's still healthier overall than "fcs." The proof is in the pudding and the #s/fan support simply cannot lie.

Top 20 Attended fcs football games fall 2019:
===============================
11/30/2019 Southern U. vs. Grambling 30-28 New Orleans, LA 68,314
11/23/2019 Florida A&M vs. Bethune-Cookman 27-31 Orlando, Fla. 55,730
10/26/2019 Alabama A&M vs. Alabama St. 43-41 Birmingham, AL 53,217
09/28/2019 Grambling vs. Prairie View 36-42 Dallas, TX 52,315
09/14/2019 Tennessee St. vs. Jackson St. 44-49 Memphis, TN 48,347
11/23/2019 Harvard @ Yale 43-50 44,989
11/16/2019 Southern U. @ Jackson St. 40-34 40,085
11/23/2019 Alcorn @ Jackson St. 41-6 35,104
10/12/2019 Alabama St. @ Jackson St. 31-16 35,013
08/31/2019 Butler vs. North Dakota St. 10-57 Minneapolis, MN 34,544
12/21/2019 Alcorn vs. N.C. A&T 44-64 Atlanta, GA 32,968
10/05/2019 Grambling @ Jackson St. 44-21 32,265
09/28/2019 Kentucky St. vs. Jackson St. 33-25 Indianapolis, IN 28,045
09/07/2019 Tuskegee @ Alabama St. 31-38 27,828
09/21/2019 Southern U. @ Florida A&M 21-27 27,191
11/02/2019 Ark.-Pine Bluff @ Jackson St. 12-21 26,341
10/05/2019 N.C. Central @ Florida A&M 21-28 25,679
10/12/2019 Villanova @ James Madison 24-38 25,076
10/05/2019 Idaho St. @ Montana 20-59 25,023
10/26/2019 Eastern Wash. @ Montana 17-34 24,072

So, what teams/conferences are important, from a fan perspective, to "fcs?" lol univ of alabama/sec, clemson/acc, lsu/sec,...??? Some of the previously venomous trolling posters would sh** a brick if "star" power patrolled their team's sidelines on game-day. smgdh They'd sh** 2 bricks back-to-back if their school ever played another "fcs" school in front of 50+K. xlolx

Professor
January 17th, 2020, 09:48 AM
So if you finished second in your conference and got an at large bid to the playoffs you would turn it down for a "classic" game?

If it is the option of the school and their is a post season game with a payout , absolutely

POD Knows
January 17th, 2020, 10:00 AM
Right now, we have the best of both worlds. We can schedule these OOC teams (and hopefully beat them) while having the goal of making it to the Celebration Bowl yearly taking home almost $800K in cash and ticket sales. Right now, there are plenty of A&T alumni that are uber excited at the prospects of play NDSU and made plans for Fargo, ND as soon as the game was announced. But there would be a collective sigh if the CB ever went away.

In terms of the playoffs, despite only one team making it to the bowl game, there are numerous teams that want the prospect of keeping their successful season going as long as they can in the playoffs. Winning these OOC games only help that cause.What do you guys expect as far as fan headcount for the game in Fargo next year, any ideas?

thebootfitter
January 17th, 2020, 10:11 AM
Constitution allows free speech whether it is factual or not. Is what it is.

I haven't misunderstood anything.Ha! This is hilarious. Now I know you're just trolling.

McNeese75
January 17th, 2020, 10:19 AM
Everybody is happy with what they are doing so it's all good xnodx

Well, some of us would better results but that is another issue xlolx

Professor
January 17th, 2020, 10:20 AM
What do you guys expect as far as fan headcount for the game in Fargo next year, any ideas?

hope at least 1k maybe 2k at best.

GAD
January 17th, 2020, 10:27 AM
If it is the option of the school and their is a post season game with a payout , absolutely
That's pretty much what G5 is...a group of schools that chose bowls over the FCS playoffs

POD Knows
January 17th, 2020, 11:15 AM
hope at least 1k maybe 2k at best.You only get 500 tickets as an allotment, I think. That would be awesome if you brought that many, we sell SRO tickets and it would be great to see the stadium and the SRO packed to capacity.

WileECoyote06
January 17th, 2020, 11:24 AM
You only get 500 tickets as an allotment, I think. That would be awesome if you brought that many, we sell SRO tickets and it would be great to see the stadium and the SRO packed to capacity.

That's closer to the truth. I'm not seeing 1000 for North Dakota (Fargo). Maybe Chicago or a city with a major airport hub. Besides, why would NDSU give a visiting team more than 500 tickets? Keep your home field advantage intact. Especially for non-conference games.

POD Knows
January 17th, 2020, 11:51 AM
That's closer to the truth. I'm not seeing 1000 for North Dakota (Fargo). Maybe Chicago or a city with a major airport hub. Besides, why would NDSU give a visiting team more than 500 tickets? Keep your home field advantage intact. Especially for non-conference games.There are always some extra tickets floating around so I think if you had a 1000 to 1500 that wanted to come for the game, you might be able to find some tickets out there and honestly, we are not filling the dome up consistently either. We had a game against SDSU a little while back where I am pretty sure that there were 2K plus SDSU fans there, we somehow ended up with two of them in our group of 9 but that is a whole other story and I am still pissed about it.

Redbird 4th & short
January 17th, 2020, 11:59 AM
I would agree the quality of teams in their Top 4 teams seems improved this year. Whether it's a definite trend or not, remains to be seen.

Redbird 4th & short
January 17th, 2020, 12:05 PM
That's closer to the truth. I'm not seeing 1000 for North Dakota (Fargo). Maybe Chicago or a city with a major airport hub. Besides, why would NDSU give a visiting team more than 500 tickets? Keep your home field advantage intact. Especially for non-conference games.

I still say this game should have been moved to Target field in twin cities like they did for Butler game this year .. due to extra home game this year with 12 games. The fan interest and convenience would have filled that 35k stadium. But I get the economics of Target keeping most of the gate made this unviable for NDSU with just 11 games next year.

A&T AGGIE96
January 17th, 2020, 12:26 PM

In terms of the playoffs, despite only one team making it to the bowl game, there are numerous teams that want the prospect of keeping their successful season going as long as they can in the playoffs. Winning these OOC games only help that cause.

I agree we have the best of both worlds right now...and as long as we keep winning I don't foresee too much complaining. It's always good to see AGGIES being supportive of the team, but I haven't heard of any AGGIES excited about the prospect of playing NDSU or traveling to ND. My assessment of the AGGIES I know is Meh?

A&T AGGIE96
January 17th, 2020, 12:36 PM

Lets see...a predetermined game (date, time, contract in advance), with a pay out, a known and traditional opponent so I expect 20, 30, or 40K in the stands and TV coverage...most likely at a neutral site in a city that is known as a travel destination.

A bid to a playoff where the opponent is not known or traditional (so low fan interest), an away game unless I'm paying...even If I get a home game I have to give the NCAA the lion's share of the gate, traveling to the middle of "nowhere" smack in the middle of winter.

That's easy...I'd take the classic in a "New York" minute.

A&T AGGIE96
January 17th, 2020, 12:44 PM
My hope would be that A&T fans flood the place...but we talking ND. That's not a "travel destination" if you know what I'm saying LOL !!! Neutral site in New Orleans or something, now you talking.

A&T AGGIE96
January 17th, 2020, 12:45 PM
Dang GAD, I never really thought about it like that...but you right.

Redbird 4th & short
January 17th, 2020, 12:59 PM
That's pretty much what G5 is...a group of schools that chose bowls over the FCS playoffs
You don't know that at all. I think it was a much simpler choice .. FBS over FCS. Just look at the teams who get the most bids and win the the most playoff games .. MVFC, Big Sky, and Colonial ... I don't see of of these teams fans complaining about the FCS playoff format at all. In fact, most fans that post about it, love the FCS playoff format .. a true tourney that extends the season for the best teams, and determines a true champion. Same format as every other sport at every other level.

In fact, FBS has proven that the Bowl system is inadequate way to determine a true champion, and gone to a 4 team playoff.

So no, Bowls are not the preferred format nor best way to determine a true champion .. and the consensus is to support tournaments as a playoff format.

A&T AGGIE96
January 17th, 2020, 01:20 PM
You don't know that at all. I think it was a much simpler choice .. FBS over FCS. Just look at the teams who get the most bids and win the the most playoff games .. MVFC, Big Sky, and Colonial ... I don't see of of these teams fans complaining about the FCS playoff format at all. In fact, most fans that post about it, love the FCS playoff format .. a true tourney that extends the season for the best teams, and determines a true champion. Same format as every other sport at every other level.

In fact, FBS has proven that the Bowl system is inadequate way to determine a true champion, and gone to a 4 team playoff.

So no, Bowls are not the preferred format nor best way to determine a true champion .. and the consensus is to support tournaments as a playoff format.

Sorry Redbird, but your opinion is just that...YOUR opinion...here's mine. As I look over the current and past Iaa/FCS landscape the schools that have the resources, following, an will leave the playoff system as soon as they can.

Who cares if the MVFC, Big Sky, and Colonial gets the most bids or wins the most playoff games...its a playoff system that most football fans care nothing about.

As for the preferred and best way....you can't treat football the same way you treat basketball. It's a different animal.

Redbird 4th & short
January 17th, 2020, 01:30 PM
Sorry Redbird, but your opinion is just that...YOUR opinion...here's mine. As I look over the current and past Iaa/FCS landscape the schools that have the resources, following, an will leave the playoff system as soon as they can.

Who cares if the MVFC, Big Sky, and Colonial gets the most bids or wins the most playoff games...its a playoff system that most football fans care nothing about.

As for the preferred and best way....you can't treat football the same way you treat basketball. It's a different animal.
yep, just my opinion and started it with, "I think"

Now Gad stated his opinion too, except he stated it like it was fact .. and i 'll note you didn't call him out for stating his opinion as fact. In fact, you agreed with it like it was fact.

So I find it interesting that you then call me out for stating my opinion as opinion, but simply agree with Gad. Kind of a onesided way of arguing, you think ??

Professor
January 17th, 2020, 03:35 PM
You only get 500 tickets as an allotment, I think. That would be awesome if you brought that many, we sell SRO tickets and it would be great to see the stadium and the SRO packed to capacity.

Yea i heard about that as well as people resell tixs. I'm pretty sure it will be folks reselling for our game

Professor
January 17th, 2020, 03:43 PM
I agree we have the best of both worlds right now...and as long as we keep winning I don't foresee too much complaining. It's always good to see AGGIES being supportive of the team, but I haven't heard of any AGGIES excited about the prospect of playing NDSU or traveling to ND. My assessment of the AGGIES I know is Meh?

Lol, most that i've heard that are excited live in the midwest area. Michigan, Missouri, Wisconsin , etc are excited because they haven't seen an A&T in awhile. And the football die hards

Panther88
January 28th, 2020, 01:47 PM
Cmon p88, you know you want to come to Frisco...it’s a local game for you...I’ll buy you a beer

I knew you were bs'ing.

Hence why I never responded. Nice work, btw. "xthumbsupx"

cx500d
January 28th, 2020, 01:48 PM
Time has come and gone. Noted, however.

Panther88
January 28th, 2020, 01:51 PM
Time has come and gone. Noted, however.

lol Right.

Listen man. I don't give a flying HELL what anybody could ever pretend to say about you or anyone else here... whether you like it or not, you're mine :D . If ANYONE crosses you, they double-cross me and we simply cannot have that in our love-hate filled online relationship. :D

Be careful out there cx.

cx500d
January 28th, 2020, 01:57 PM
lol Right.

Listen man. I don't give a flying HELL what anybody could ever pretend to say about you or anyone else here... whether you like it or not, you're mine :D . If ANYONE crosses you, they double-cross me and we simply cannot have that in our love-hate filled online relationship. :D

Be careful out there cx.

absolutely...flying back from Tampa in a few hours, hope not to end up in the water.

Panther88
January 28th, 2020, 02:09 PM
absolutely...flying back from Tampa in a few hours, hope not to end up in the water.

If you're in the cockpit, I know you'll do all that is right and proper. If someone else in control, make sure he/she remains "happy."

Bisonoline
January 28th, 2020, 02:27 PM
hope at least 1k maybe 2k at best.

Where you going to get tickets?

JSUSoutherner
January 28th, 2020, 02:54 PM
WTF is going on in this thread?

cx500d
January 28th, 2020, 03:53 PM
WTF is going on in this thread?
Thanks for your inane input making it a ****show

Professor
January 28th, 2020, 04:57 PM
Where you going to get tickets?

Most people that are interested have already been told they have to get them off of 3rd party sites. I think it's going to be some tixs available. I'm pretty sure your fanbase isn't that excited to play us. Plus it's not your home opener