PDA

View Full Version : Jay Hill a finalist at New Mexico

Grizalltheway
December 17th, 2019, 12:13 PM
Big blow for Weber if he goes, good news for the rest of the Big Sky.

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-fcs-semifinalist-a-leading-candidate-at-new-mexico/

MSUBobcat
December 17th, 2019, 01:02 PM
Guessing if true, he would have preferred this article to not come out until after this weekend. Unnecessary distraction before a very challenging game (and most important in BBQ history).

PAllen
December 17th, 2019, 01:13 PM
That's a whole lot of speculation. Even gave themselves an out by stating that there is plenty of time for someone else to emerge.

technocat
December 17th, 2019, 01:28 PM
Would he want to coach at New Mexico? Almost like Hauck going to UNLV.

MSUBobcat
December 17th, 2019, 01:34 PM
That's a whole lot of speculation. Even gave themselves an out by stating that there is plenty of time for someone else to emerge.

Santa Fe New Mexican has an article listing him as one of the 3 finalists also. Guessing he's going to have to have a chat with the team about it one way or the other.

https://www.santafenewmexican.com/sports/search-for-lobos-football-coach-may-be-narrowed-to-three/article_486ed380-2061-11ea-aea0-a3d370519d2a.html

clenz
December 17th, 2019, 01:42 PM
Why?

Previous coach salary information

Base compensation
2017 guaranteed pay: $822,690
Total contract pay: $4,936,140
Contract length: 6 years
Start date: 7/1/2016
Expires: 12/31/2021

Incentives
Conference title bonus: $50,000
Misc athletic-based incentives: $10,000 for win over top 25 ranked team;
Coach of the year award bonus: $10,000 for conference coach of year; $25,000 for national coach of year
National poll bonus: $25,000 for top 25 final ranking; $10,000 for top 25 ranking at any time during season.

Car: one car
Golf/country club: country club membership.

Other Perks
Miscellaneous perks: spouse can travel to away games;
$25,000 if average paid annual attendance is 19,000; additional $25,000 if it’s 21,000

Buyout if coach leaves for another coaching job: $150,000 if before 12/31/17; $50,000 if before 12/31/18.

https://projects.newsday.com/college-football-coaches-salaries-contracts/bob-davie/

Hill's current contract - which has him the highest paid coach in the Big Sky

It also gave him a significant pay raise. Hill’s base salary increased from $158,000 to $185,000 and his guaranteed annual bonus from $75,000 to $90,000.

That raised his guaranteed pay from $233,000 to $275,000, which appears to make him the highest-paid coach in the conference, according to a survey of contracts and media reports related to Big Sky coaches.

As for Jeff Choate - who has been linked....from the same article

Montana State head coach Jeff Choate makes $180,000 in base salary, plus $95,000 in easily attainable bonuses related to regular coaching duties, such as appearing on radio/TV shows and at public events as required by the school, according to his contract posted online by The Missoulian. That total equals Hill’s mark of $275,000.

https://www.standard.net/sports/weber-state/new-weber-state-contract-makes-jay-hill-highest-paid-big/article_724e484b-873e-5978-a862-e639dc55fc28.html

Literally 7-8 times higher base pay plus other bonus pay....plus going away money for when you get fired/taking another better job that dwarfs anything Weber/Montana State offers

MSUBobcat
December 17th, 2019, 01:47 PM

Not the most optimal job, but better than UNLV for sure and could be a stepping stone if he actually has success. UNLV has had ONE winning season this century, 2013 when they went 7-6 with a bowl game loss to North Texas. UNM finished 9-4 as recently as 2016. Probably not going to step right into a better FBS head coaching job coming from Weber unless they win, or at least make, a trip to the natty. This may very well be his "shot".

clenz
December 17th, 2019, 02:01 PM
Better is pretty subjective between those two
2019 2-10 (0.167) Bob Davie Mountain West
2018 3-9 (0.250) Bob Davie Mountain West
2017 3-9 (0.250) Bob Davie Mountain West
2016 9-4 (0.692) Bob Davie Mountain West
2015 7-6 (0.539) Bob Davie Mountain West
2014 4-8 (0.333) Bob Davie Mountain West
2013 3-9 (0.250) Bob Davie Mountain West
2012 4-9 (0.308) Bob Davie Mountain West
2011 1-11 (0.083) Mike Locksley Mountain West
2010 1-11 (0.083) Mike Locksley Mountain West
2009 1-11 (0.083) Mike Locksley Mountain West
2008 4-8 (0.333) Rocky Long Mountain West

Rocky Long had a bit of success...but...let's not act like UNM actually is good

IBleedYellow
December 17th, 2019, 02:14 PM
Any of you guys that say you wouldn't take 7-8 times your current salary to do the same job @ another company are crazy.

Of course these guys will look at this offer. That's "well I guess I can retire" money once you finish the contract.

Silenoz
December 17th, 2019, 02:27 PM
Anything to avoid living in Ogden, amirite?

MSUBobcat
December 17th, 2019, 02:56 PM
Better is pretty subjective between those two
2019 2-10 (0.167) Bob Davie Mountain West
2018 3-9 (0.250) Bob Davie Mountain West
2017 3-9 (0.250) Bob Davie Mountain West
2016 9-4 (0.692) Bob Davie Mountain West
2015 7-6 (0.539) Bob Davie Mountain West
2014 4-8 (0.333) Bob Davie Mountain West
2013 3-9 (0.250) Bob Davie Mountain West
2012 4-9 (0.308) Bob Davie Mountain West
2011 1-11 (0.083) Mike Locksley Mountain West
2010 1-11 (0.083) Mike Locksley Mountain West
2009 1-11 (0.083) Mike Locksley Mountain West
2008 4-8 (0.333) Rocky Long Mountain West

Rocky Long had a bit of success...but...let's not act like UNM actually is good

I never said anything about UNM being "good". But they are better than UNLV. As you mentioned, Rocky Long had a fair bit of success, having winning seasons in all but one from 2001 to 2007 (2008, his last year was a losing season). And they've had success more recently than UNLV (winning seasons only 4 years removed). I'm not saying it's someone's "dream job", but how many FCS coaches (outside of NDSU HCs) get the opportunity move up to the FBS as a HEAD coach, not an assistant or coordinator? If he can turn the program around, it can lead to a better job down the road. And then of course there's the massive pay increase. A person would be pretty damn foolish to stay at Weber vs. UNM.

bonarae
December 17th, 2019, 05:50 PM
OK, Jay Hill can stay.... Danny Gonzales is the new Lobos HC.

https://footballscoop.com/news/danny-gonzales-to-be-next-new-mexico-head-coach/

PAllen
December 18th, 2019, 10:45 AM
OK, Jay Hill can stay.... Danny Gonzales is the new Lobos HC.

https://footballscoop.com/news/danny-gonzales-to-be-next-new-mexico-head-coach/

LMAO, that article is a complete 180 from their previous one.

GreatGreatGreat
December 18th, 2019, 08:07 PM
Confirmed that Jay Hill will not be the coach at New Mexico. They went with Rodrigues. I figured Jay wouldn’t accept a job that’s seen as a no win situation. Much like I don’t expect him to go to UNLV or Oregon State. Those places are career killers. The Colorado State coaching vacancy had me a little worried though.

Professor Chaos
December 18th, 2019, 08:55 PM
Confirmed that Jay Hill will not be the coach at New Mexico. They went with Rodrigues. I figured Jay wouldn’t accept a job that’s seen as a no win situation. Much like I don’t expect him to go to UNLV or Oregon State. Those places are career killers. The Colorado State coaching vacancy had me a little worried though.
Career killers? He'd make more money in 4 years at Oregon St than he'd make in 20+ at Weber St. I wish somebody would offer me that kind of career killing opportunity.

uni88
December 18th, 2019, 09:05 PM
Career killers? He'd make more money in 4 years at Oregon St than he'd make in 20+ at Weber St. I wish somebody would offer me that kind of career killing opportunity.And I don't think the Oregon State job is coming open unless Jonathan Smith gets poached by a bigger name school which would mean that it wasn't a career killer for him.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Grizalltheway
December 18th, 2019, 09:32 PM
LMAO, that article is a complete 180 from their previous one.
Unless I'm missing something, all the original article said was that he's a finalist (which he was) and gave some reasons as to why they might go with him.

GreatGreatGreat
December 18th, 2019, 10:16 PM
Career killers? He'd make more money in 4 years at Oregon St than he'd make in 20+ at Weber St. I wish somebody would offer me that kind of career killing opportunity.
I’m not arguing about salary. But you’re competing against impossible competition at Oregon State. What Pac12 athlete chooses Oregon State over Stanford, USC, Oregon etc. you go there for 4 years, get fired and then try to pick up the pieces.

I know Jay Hill is going to leave, I’ll be happy for him. But I know him personally and he’s not leaving unless it’s the right situation. If he was only about money he would have taken the Utah DC job that was offered to him. He wants to be a head coach in a situation that can win championships. You don’t get that at New Mexico, UNLV or Oregon State.

TheKingpin28
December 19th, 2019, 08:43 AM
I’m not arguing about salary. But you’re competing against impossible competition at Oregon State. What Pac12 athlete chooses Oregon State over Stanford, USC, Oregon etc. you go there for 4 years, get fired and then try to pick up the pieces.

I know Jay Hill is going to leave, I’ll be happy for him. But I know him personally and he’s not leaving unless it’s the right situation. If he was only about money he would have taken the Utah DC job that was offered to him. He wants to be a head coach in a situation that can win championships. You don’t get that at New Mexico, UNLV or Oregon State.Every fan base says this about their coach. If you were to off me a multi-million dollar contract that was guaranteed, I'd already have had my bags packed and on the first direct flight there. I understand loyalty, but this money is "I can do what I want and retire when I want".

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Professor Chaos
December 19th, 2019, 08:48 AM

I know Jay Hill is going to leave, I’ll be happy for him. But I know him personally and he’s not leaving unless it’s the right situation. If he was only about money he would have taken the Utah DC job that was offered to him. He wants to be a head coach in a situation that can win championships. You don’t get that at New Mexico, UNLV or Oregon State.

Every fan base says this about their coach. If you were to off me a multi-million dollar contract that was guaranteed, I'd already have had my bags packed and on the first direct flight there. I understand loyalty, but this money is "I can do what I want and retire when I want".

Yeah yeah yeah... our coach won't leave unless it's the "right situation". We all like to think that. You know your coach better than I do but I would be floored if he turned down an offer to be the head coach at UNLV, New Mexico, and especially Oregon St to stay at Weber St. Coaches are mercenaries just like professional athletes. While they're wearing the colors they'll spout verse about their commitment to "the brand" and how special it is and how they have no intention of going elsewhere but watch how quickly they forget that when someone with more money comes knocking on their door.

MSUBobcat
December 19th, 2019, 10:23 AM

IMO, it's not just the money. Very few FCS head coaches get the opportunity to jump up to FBS as a HEAD coach, much less head coach of a P5. Hauck and the last 2 Bison coaches come to mind as FCS coaches that jumped straight to a HC job in FBS, and those were after pretty successful runs in the FCS with 2 going to.... less than optimal programs in UNLV and, to a lesser degree, WY. I don't see where Hill was up for the Utah DC job; they seem quite happy with Scalley, signing him to a new 2 year contract this spring and adding more money and years to his contract just this month to ensure he doesn't get poached. An article even speculated that Scalley has been promised the HC job when Whittingham retires.

If Jay Hill isn't leaving unless it's to be a "head coach in a situation that can win championships", he's never leaving FCS. No way, no how, a coach jumps from WEBER STATE to a serious CFP contending school. Get serious.... Perhaps someone can think of others, but Klieman (won championships in 4 of 5 years as HC) moving from NDSU to K-State is the most "prestigious" jump an FCS coach has made in recent years, and other than that joker the K-State Mask who made the video about how bad they were going to crush NDSU years ago, no one calls K-State a legitimate FBS championship contender.

Bisonator
December 19th, 2019, 10:33 AM
IMO, it's not just the money. Very few FCS head coaches get the opportunity to jump up to FBS as a HEAD coach, much less head coach of a P5. Hauck and the last 2 Bison coaches come to mind as FCS coaches that jumped straight to a HC job in FBS, and those were after pretty successful runs in the FCS with 2 going to.... less than optimal programs in UNLV and, to a lesser degree, WY. I don't see where Hill was up for the Utah DC job; they seem quite happy with Scalley, signing him to a new 2 year contract this spring and adding more money and years to his contract just this month to ensure he doesn't get poached. An article even speculated that Scalley has been promised the HC job when Whittingham retires.

If Jay Hill isn't leaving unless it's to be a "head coach in a situation that can win championships", he's never leaving FCS. No way, no how, a coach jumps from WEBER STATE to a serious CFP contending school. Get serious.... Perhaps someone can think of others, but Klieman (won championships in 4 of 5 years as HC) moving from NDSU to K-State is the most "prestigious" jump an FCS coach has made in recent years, and other than that joker the K-State Mask who made the video about how bad they were going to crush NDSU years ago, no one calls K-State a legitimate FBS championship contender.
Good post and exactly right. If Hill wants to be head coach at a P5 with a shot to win championships he's gonna have to make the jump to something lesser first at some point and work his way up.

MSUBobcat
December 19th, 2019, 11:20 AM
Good post and exactly right. If Hill wants to be head coach at a P5 with a shot to win championships he's gonna have to make the jump to something lesser first at some point and work his way up.

Yep. I'd honestly be surprised if he didn't have to take a "demotion" to some kind of position coach to move from Weber to a school that is considered a legitimate P5 contender. I'm not sure I'd see him jumping all the way to coordinator at a Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, et al.

Professor Chaos
December 19th, 2019, 11:45 AM

You see guys going from P5 coordinator to FCS head coach though too. I think that's more of a philosophical move though especially if a guy has never been a college head coach. That seems to be about the only time a coach willingly takes a pay cut is if he's going from the middle of the totem poll in his current staff to the top on another staff. I forget by whom but one of the Big 12 coaches mentioned in their media day that they wanted Chris Klieman as their DC around the 2015 timeframe but Klieman wanted to be a head coach (a position he had just gotten the previous year at NDSU) to he stayed put. Same with Entz… I'm pretty sure he could've followed Klieman to K-State and been his DC but he wanted to be a head coach.

There's plenty of guys that go from FCS head coaches to G5 head coaches though. Healy from Austin Peay, Arth from Chattanooga, Whithers and Houston from JMU, Fritz from SHSU, London from Richmond, etc etc.

TheKingpin28
December 19th, 2019, 12:03 PM
Yeah yeah yeah... our coach won't leave unless it's the "right situation". We all like to think that. You know your coach better than I do but I would be floored if he turned down an offer to be the head coach at UNLV, New Mexico, and especially Oregon St to stay at Weber St. Coaches are mercenaries just like professional athletes. While they're wearing the colors they'll spout verse about their commitment to "the brand" and how special it is and how they have no intention of going elsewhere but watch how quickly they forget that when someone with more money comes knocking on their door.As I said, throw 7 figures at me, and I can tell you that I'd head to Boise St and/or Buffalo

ursus arctos horribilis
December 19th, 2019, 12:58 PM
Jay Hill wouldn't take a HC job at Oregon State? Right! xlolx

If you know him personally GGG and he has told you that then I assume he does not like or trust you because that would be a load of **** he would be shoveling on you.

As has been pointed out the "right situation" is a BS argument that is used by every fan base. The right situation is generally whether you were offered the job or not. If you were, it was the right situation.

JALMOND
December 19th, 2019, 03:52 PM

I'll agree with you on New Mexico or UNLV. But any Big Sky head coach would be crazy to say no to any Pac-12 head coaching job that was offered to them.