PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Offseason Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3]

FUBeAR
September 1st, 2020, 10:15 PM
Looks like Mercer started practice today for their 2 game (as of now) Fall ‘season’ (@ JaxSt on 10/10 & @ Army on 10/24).

https://twitter.com/mercerfootball/status/1300938991496245251

ElCid
September 10th, 2020, 05:45 PM
My Dogs get some prime time national exposure on ESPNU this Saturday at 7PM. South Florida is a mystery at this point. New coach, the virus, etc. Hopefully we can make a game of it. Hope the boys don't get caught looking ahead to Clemson next week. Hehehe.

FUBeAR
September 10th, 2020, 06:08 PM
My Dogs get some prime time national exposure on ESPNU this Saturday at 7PM. South Florida is a mystery at this point. New coach, the virus, etc. Hopefully we can make a game of it. Hope the boys don't get caught looking ahead to Clemson next week. Hehehe.
Is it on The U? Ursus’ FCS Insider sez ESPN+

...but I see CIT info sez The U - https://citadelsports.com/news/2020/9/10/football-game-day-central-south-florida.aspx

OhioHen
September 11th, 2020, 07:03 AM
Appears to be the most likely of this week's games for FCS to get a win over FBS. Go 'Dogs!

FUBeAR
September 11th, 2020, 07:41 AM
Mercer hasn’t previously made any official comments about their schedule, but they announced it yesterday, so I’m assuming they are not pursuing any additional games, beyond the 3 announced.

https://mercerbears.com/news/2020/9/10/football-mercer-announces-revised-2020-fall-schedule.aspx

Heard they wanted a 4th, but were also concerned if they play 4, they may not be eligible for SoCon Championship in Spring (if an 8 game conference only schedule is played) because of NCAA 11-game rule.

Reckon how this will all work out and reckon how CIT will be affected if they play all 4 they have scheduled this Fall.

SU DOG
September 11th, 2020, 11:22 AM
We sticky this on the SAMFORD Board every year as it is very helpful:

http://www.lsufootball.net/tvschedule.htm

ElCid
September 11th, 2020, 10:14 PM
Mercer hasn’t previously made any official comments about their schedule, but they announced it yesterday, so I’m assuming they are not pursuing any additional games, beyond the 3 announced.

https://mercerbears.com/news/2020/9/10/football-mercer-announces-revised-2020-fall-schedule.aspx

Heard they wanted a 4th, but were also concerned if they play 4, they may not be eligible for SoCon Championship in Spring (if an 8 game conference only schedule is played) because of NCAA 11-game rule.

Reckon how this will all work out and reckon how CIT will be affected if they play all 4 they have scheduled this Fall.

I'm thinking that will not be an issue with the NCAA. Easily waived considering the circumstances. Besides, it is almost like two separate seasons. I'll take the nearly $1M we are getting in any event. Also, something tells me that the spring may not go off as anticipated. Not due the virus, but the fallout issues, some of which we don't even know exist yet. I think you can bank on at least 1 or maybe more SOCON schools either not playing in the spring or having serious issues which screws up the schedule.

FUBeAR
September 12th, 2020, 01:16 AM
I'm thinking that will not be an issue with the NCAA. Easily waived considering the circumstances. Besides, it is almost like two separate seasons. I'll take the nearly $1M we are getting in any event. Also, something tells me that the spring may not go off as anticipated. Not due the virus, but the fallout issues, some of which we don't even know exist yet. I think you can bank on at least 1 or maybe more SOCON schools either not playing in the spring or having serious issues which screws up the schedule.
I thought the same, as the NCAA, has been basically throwing their eligibility rule book out the window so far - “You get a redshirt! And, you get a redshirt! And YOU get a redshirt!”

But, ‘well-placed anonymous sources’ are telling me, “not so fast my friend” on the NCAA waiving the 11 game restriction.

Of course, that makes absolutely no sense, since the 11 vs. 12 game rule is based upon the number of full moons in September & October & the expected high tide level in Indianapolis on Thanksgiving Day...something like that...BUT, with the NCAA, you have to use Hickam’s dictum vs. Occam’s razor to project what they might do.

I think CIT (just this one time) is doing exactly the right thing - take the Iggle (and the $1m) in hand vs. the 2 Mocs in the shrubbery!

Milktruck74
September 19th, 2020, 10:43 AM

As of right now, I don't think Chattanooga is going to participate in a Spring SoCon....Things change, but as crazy as this year has been, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm 2019 might have been the last year for Mocs SoCon FB.?????? Crazy I know!!!!

FUBeAR
September 19th, 2020, 12:01 PM
As of right now, I don't think Chattanooga is going to participate in a Spring SoCon....Things change, but as crazy as this year has been, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm 2019 might have been the last year for Mocs SoCon FB.?????? Crazy I know!!!!
C’mon, man! Say it ain’t so!

OVC?

Milktruck74
September 19th, 2020, 12:23 PM
C’mon, man! Say it ain’t so!

OVC?

Nah, Pioneer.

FUBeAR
September 19th, 2020, 12:27 PM
Nah, Pioneer.
Ahhh...I see. Works well for Morehead State. Should become a big rivalry for the non-schollie Mocs.

blueGOldMOCS
September 19th, 2020, 02:15 PM

Interesting.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

walliver
September 20th, 2020, 11:02 AM
I have serious doubts about spring football.

Many epidemiologists suspect there will be an uptick, if not spike, in COVID during the winter. This would make an early spring football season unlikely.

As for Chatty to the Pioneer. It makes little sense. Do they really want to play basketball in the A-Sun? VMI and ETSU were both kicked out for not playing SoCon football. There are no decent non-football conferences in the South.

rtzlunar
September 20th, 2020, 03:54 PM

Sources?

Milktruck74
September 23rd, 2020, 08:25 AM
Clarification....

The Pioneer thing was a joke!!!!

As for sources, I can't name any. It isn't anything that is "on the horizon", just something for discussion.

FUBeAR
September 23rd, 2020, 10:14 AM
The Pioneer thing was a joke!!!!

Morehead State Fans reading this thread right now...

https://i.imgflip.com/2lc2nz.jpg

PaladinNation
September 23rd, 2020, 10:17 AM
Clay Hendrix had a lunch and learn zoom yesterday. First - broke a lunch and learn record for participants - glad to see fans want some football.

Clay said he fully expects to play ball in the spring and that Furman will play. He did say he expects a team or two in the SoCon to not participate.
Also said a team that voted not to play SoCon ball in the fall is trying to play a game in the fall - he found that interesting and I don't think he's talking about The Citadel and Mercer.

I also thought Clay made a lot of sense as to why Furman isn't playing a game or two in the fall - he felt its' more important to get the players back in the weight room and to play for a national championship. I'm reading between the lines with purple colored glasses so take this for what it's worth.

Clay has now said publicly at least twice that this team is good enough to make a run for a national championship. I think that plays a little bit into why Furman's goal is to play in the spring and aim for a playoff berth.

Another note Furman has 14 seniors who've not redshirted - they can play this spring and come back and play in the fall - this could be a big deal for Furman and Devin Wynn.

walliver
September 23rd, 2020, 11:10 AM
I think playing a game or two in the fall makes sense (as long as the NCAA doesn't count fall results at playoff selection time). It gives the players something to which to look forward, and kind of takes the place of a spring game.

Also, the COVID-related issues that caused a majority of SoCon schools to delay football until the spring will still be issues this spring. Hopefully the new spit tests will be cheap enough by then to make FCS football economically viable.

FUBeAR
September 23rd, 2020, 02:33 PM
I think playing a game or two in the fall makes sense (as long as the NCAA doesn't count fall results at playoff selection time). It gives the players something to which to look forward, and kind of takes the place of a spring game.

Also, the COVID-related issues that caused a majority of SoCon schools to delay football until the spring will still be issues this spring. Hopefully the new spit tests will be cheap enough by then to make FCS football economically viable.
Pretty sure the NCAA said that Fall results will be considered as they make their At-Large selections. Honestly, though, IMO, Mercer, for example, could beat Army, JaxSt, and AbileneCU, and win all SoCon games by 50, except lose to, let’s say, SoCon Champion, Furman, by 1 @ Furman, in a driving rainstorm, with their 10 best Players out with Covid that week...and the Bears would still not get an At-Large Bid... 3 are going to the #2 Teams in the MVFC, the CAA, and the Big Sky...There’s ‘really’ only 2 At-Large’s up for grabs...I see 1 of those going to MVFC #3 and the final one will go to the best #3 from the CAA or the BSC...or maybe to 1 ‘odd ball’...doubtful though on that last one.

ElCid
September 23rd, 2020, 04:37 PM
I have no idea what to make of this rump fall season. We look terrible so far, but I know we are better. A bunch of our backfield is out. We have lots of holes in our depth. We have been overmatched so far as well. Clemson was playing on an entirely different level, plus they were not going to pull an Alabama. They were animals. We could easily go 0'fer this fall, although I can see us maybe beating EKU. Not sure about Army. So maybe 1-0 FCS. I just hope we don't get any injuries. I still think the spring will not play out as anticipated.

Mocs123
September 24th, 2020, 05:51 AM
Pretty sure the NCAA said that Fall results will be considered as they make their At-Large selections. Honestly, though, IMO, Mercer, for example, could beat Army, JaxSt, and AbileneCU, and win all SoCon games by 50, except lose to, let’s say, SoCon Champion, Furman, by 1 @ Furman, in a driving rainstorm, with their 10 best Players out with Covid that week...and the Bears would still not get an At-Large Bid... 3 are going to the #2 Teams in the MVFC, the CAA, and the Big Sky...There’s ‘really’ only 2 At-Large’s up for grabs...I see 1 of those going to MVFC #3 and the final one will go to the best #3 from the CAA or the BSC...or maybe to 1 ‘odd ball’...doubtful though on that last one.

In that particular case I think Mercer would get an at large in that case as Army, JSU, and ACU would all be decent OOC wins, plus the dominance of the SoCon minus the 1 point loss to SoCon Champion Chattanooga (I figured you made a typo) but I do get your point, barring an anomaly like the one you described the SoCon is only getting one team in the playoffs in the spring.

Mocs123
September 24th, 2020, 05:57 AM
I have no idea what to make of this rump fall season. We look terrible so far, but I know we are better. A bunch of our backfield is out. We have lots of holes in our depth. We have been overmatched so far as well. Clemson was playing on an entirely different level, plus they were not going to pull an Alabama. They were animals. We could easily go 0'fer this fall, although I can see us maybe beating EKU. Not sure about Army. So maybe 1-0 FCS. I just hope we don't get any injuries. I still think the spring will not play out as anticipated.

I wouldn't get too down on the beatdown by Clemson - they are just so good. The Citadel probably has a better history of FBS upsets than just about every school not playing in a midwest dome, but you're not going to upset one of the top two teams in the nation.

FUBeAR
September 24th, 2020, 07:34 AM
In that particular case I think Mercer would get an at large in that case as Army, JSU, and ACU would all be decent OOC wins, plus the dominance of the SoCon minus the 1 point loss to SoCon Champion Chattanooga (I figured you made a typo) but I do get your point, barring an anomaly like the one you described the SoCon is only getting one team in the playoffs in the spring.
So...Chatt IS playing SoCon Football this spring? Hearing rumors they are not...and are moving to the SEC or the PFL or D2 or NAIA?

Mocs123
September 24th, 2020, 08:32 AM
So...Chatt IS playing SoCon Football this spring? Hearing rumors they are not...and are moving to the SEC or the PFL or D2 or NAIA?

Here is what I know - Coach Wright was not in favor of a spring season when it was fist discussed back in late July/early August due to the fact that he was concerned about player safety having a short turn around between the spring 2021 season and fall 2021 season. In an interview 3-4 weeks ago he discussed what the spring season looked like at that time (at the time he said the discussion was for a 6 game SoCon slate with the top 4 teams going to a playoff to determine the SoCon champion and then a 16 team NCAA playoff) and I didn't get any impression that we were not playing during that interview. He did say that he was more concerned about having a "normal" fall 2021 season then he was spring but it still sounded like we were planning on participating in spring football. Of course I'm sure any discussions to not play would be behind the scenes and I wouldn't be privy to that information.

Again, any discussions would be behind the scenes, but I haven't heard any serious talk of UTC changing conferences since the proposed move to the OVC back in the ~2006ish timeframe. To be honest in those days we probably couldn't have even competed in D2, I feel like we are pretty competitive now in FCS, and although the last 3 years haven't been where we would like, only 1 of the 3 was a losing season. I'm not sure where Chattanooga would go. I don't think we have the money to go FBS. In the FCS, the only other geographical options are the OVC and the Big South. The Big South isn't a great place as I think KSU has plans to move up, and tUNA could be a decent rival for Chattanooga, nobody else in the conference would excite anyone. The OVC has JSU, which would excite Chattanooga fans, and Austin Peay is a decent close school, but overall I don't think the football in the OVC is as good as the SoCon. Honestly I was for a move to the OVC years ago as I thought we could be more competitive in FB, but I think we've proven we can be competitive and compete for the SoCon championship, so there is no longer a reason to move. While I agree the SoCon is an odd mix of privates, academies, and public institutions and in some ways Chattanooga doesn't fit in well, I'm not sure what other option would be better.

Mocs123
September 24th, 2020, 08:46 AM

The Chattanooga Times Free Press seams to think the Mocs are playing in the spring
https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2020/sep/23/look-mocs-football-opponents-2020-21/532773/

(https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2020/sep/23/look-mocs-football-opponents-2020-21/532773/)

FUBeAR
September 24th, 2020, 08:58 AM
Here is what I know - Coach Wright was not in favor of a spring season when it was fist discussed back in late July/early August due to the fact that he was concerned about player safety having a short turn around between the spring 2021 season and fall 2021 season. In an interview 3-4 weeks ago he discussed what the spring season looked like at that time (at the time he said the discussion was for a 6 game SoCon slate with the top 4 teams going to a playoff to determine the SoCon champion and then a 16 team NCAA playoff) and I didn't get any impression that we were not playing during that interview. He did say that he was more concerned about having a "normal" fall 2021 season then he was spring but it still sounded like we were planning on participating in spring football. Of course I'm sure any discussions to not play would be behind the scenes and I wouldn't be privy to that information.

Again, any discussions would be behind the scenes, but I haven't heard any serious talk of UTC changing conferences since the proposed move to the OVC back in the ~2006ish timeframe. To be honest in those days we probably couldn't have even competed in D2, I feel like we are pretty competitive now in FCS, and although the last 3 years haven't been where we would like, only 1 of the 3 was a losing season. I'm not sure where Chattanooga would go. I don't think we have the money to go FBS. In the FCS, the only other geographical options are the OVC and the Big South. The Big South isn't a great place as I think KSU has plans to move up, and tUNA could be a decent rival for Chattanooga, nobody else in the conference would excite anyone. The OVC has JSU, which would excite Chattanooga fans, and Austin Peay is a decent close school, but overall I don't think the football in the OVC is as good as the SoCon. Honestly I was for a move to the OVC years ago as I thought we could be more competitive in FB, but I think we've proven we can be competitive and compete for the SoCon championship, so there is no longer a reason to move. While I agree the SoCon is an odd mix of privates, academies, and public institutions and in some ways Chattanooga doesn't fit in well, I'm not sure what other option would be better.
Don’t like 6 Reg games / 4 Team Playoff - 1st I’ve heard of that
Would be cool with 7 Reg games & a Champ. Game

I’m probably naive, but I don’t understand why Public vs. Private in SoCon is such a perceived issue.

5 Publics (Chatt, WCU, ETSU, Cit, VMI) & 4 Privates (FU, Woffy, Mercer, Samford) for Football & 6 (add UNCG) vs. 4 for all other sports. CAA has 3 privates (Elon, Richmond, Villanova) vs. 9 publics for Football and I just don’t hear that much about Public vs. Private from CAA. Maybe they have issues too...dunno.

Just don’t know / understand the issues, I guess.

Mocs123
September 24th, 2020, 10:13 AM

That might not be what happens as at the time of that interview, it didn't sound like anything was finalized. I'd be OK playing every SoCon team and just picking the SoCon champ just like the autobid is done. I realize that might leave someone feeling shorted if there is a tie ( I think Chattanooga was shorted this way in 2013) but if you win you're in so if you don't like it you should have won.

FUBeAR
September 24th, 2020, 01:29 PM
Sorry to self-quote...but, no surprise, HERO Sports concurs with FUBeAR’s assessment of where Spring At-Large bids will land...

https://herosports.com/fcs-football-early-2021-spring-playoff-predictions-bzbz/

5 At-Large Bids
Alphabetical Order
Montana (Big Sky)
Montana State (Big Sky)
Northern Iowa (MVFC)
South Dakota State (MVFC)
Villanova (CAA)

walliver
September 24th, 2020, 01:29 PM

I’m probably naive, but I don’t understand why Public vs. Private in SoCon is such a perceived issue.

5 Publics (Chatt, WCU, ETSU, Cit, VMI) & 4 Privates (FU, Woffy, Mercer, Samford) for Football & 6 (add UNCG) vs. 4 for all other sports. CAA has 3 privates (Elon, Richmond, Villanova) vs. 9 publics for Football and I just don’t hear that much about Public vs. Private from CAA. Maybe they have issues too...dunno.

Just don’t know / understand the issues, I guess.
A 6 game season with 4 teams in a playoff makes no sense. I would rather everybody play 8 conference games and leave it at that. 6 games plus a conference championship game would mean we get to beat Furman twice (always a good thing). Bit I think we are trying to force too many games on a spring season with a 4 team playoff. A SoCon team could potentially play 6 conference games, 2 conference playoff games and 4 NCAA playoff games - a total of 12 games and them turn around and play another season in 3 months. This just too much wear and tear on athlete bodies.

My ideal would be a 8 game conference season with a 4-team NCAA field

Mocs123
September 24th, 2020, 01:35 PM
I think the NCAA already announced a 16 team playoff starting in April and ending mid May, so that is set. I'm not sure what the conference requirements are to get an an automatic bid this year in the spring.

Does having a deep playoff run (say going to the NC game) in May 2021 hurt that program in fall of 2021? Might this help some team overthrow NDSU's reign of terror?

FUBeAR
September 24th, 2020, 01:40 PM
A 6 game season with 4 teams in a playoff makes no sense. I would rather everybody play 8 conference games and leave it at that. 6 games plus a conference championship game would mean we get to beat Furman twice (always a good thing). Bit I think we are trying to force too many games on a spring season with a 4 team playoff. A SoCon team could potentially play 6 conference games, 2 conference playoff games and 4 NCAA playoff games - a total of 12 games and them turn around and play another season in 3 months. This just too much wear and tear on athlete bodies.

My ideal would be a 8 game conference season with a 4-team NCAA field

i think they call this the identity property of addition...something like that...

8+4=12
7+1+4=12
6+2+4=12

Same number of games in each scenario & every Team playing this spring BETTER treat every game as a Playoff game, cuz if you lose 1, you prolly OUT.

I kinda like the idea of a 1-time SoCon Championship Game in this silly season. Maybe do like they do Yankee Stadium for Football & play it @ Fluor Field in GVL. Great venue, centrally located for all SoCon Teams, cool downtown / Reedy River environment. Close enough to league office.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b6/4d/29/b64d29d7ad0fd3a7cad056f2c776179c.jpg

Milktruck74
September 25th, 2020, 11:18 AM
The Chattanooga Times Free Press seams to think the Mocs are playing in the spring
https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2020/sep/23/look-mocs-football-opponents-2020-21/532773/

(https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2020/sep/23/look-mocs-football-opponents-2020-21/532773/)

If Gene thinks we are playing, thats good enough for me....we are playing.

ElCid
September 26th, 2020, 12:11 PM
First game on our new turf. Looks pretty nice.

walliver
September 27th, 2020, 10:12 PM
i think they call this the identity property of addition...something like that...

8+4=12
7+1+4=12
6+2+4=12

Same number of games in each scenario & every Team playing this spring BETTER treat every game as a Playoff game, cuz if you lose 1, you prolly OUT.

I kinda like the idea of a 1-time SoCon Championship Game in this silly season. Maybe do like they do Yankee Stadium for Football & play it @ Fluor Field in GVL. Great venue, centrally located for all SoCon Teams, cool downtown / Reedy River environment. Close enough to league office.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b6/4d/29/b64d29d7ad0fd3a7cad056f2c776179c.jpg

A SoCon championship game would be played about the same time the field would be prepared for the Drive. Fixing this for football and then immediately fixing it back to baseball seems way out of the SoCon's budget. Maybe we could just play the game at Clemson and blame the 10's of thousands of empty seats on social distancing.

FUBeAR
September 27th, 2020, 11:10 PM
A SoCon championship game would be played about the same time the field would be prepared for the Drive. Fixing this for football and then immediately fixing it back to baseball seems way out of the SoCon's budget. Maybe we could just play the game at Clemson and blame the 10's of thousands of empty seats on social distancing.
Yeah - I thought of that; chose to ignore it like a false positive.

Another thought would be the Mercedes Benz Arena. Since Atlanta no longer has an NFL Team; we need to get some use out of it!

Or...how ‘bout the Charlotte Motor Speedway? They haven’t done one of those games like Bristol, so they probably would want to - & NO WORRIES about social distancing there as I suspect the crowd would be a bit under 171,000.

PaladinNation
September 28th, 2020, 06:04 AM
Furman has talked about playing a game or a football scrimmage downtown for years - Sirrine - field quality, Fluor - would be a great location but as mentioned by Walliver I keep hearing the field conversion is an issue.

For a championship game I would rank sites:

1. Center Parc Stadium - Atlanta, GA
2. Bank of America Stadium - Charlotte, NC

If something like this ever happens Atlanta makes a lot of sense - location is about as fair as it can get, I actually like the stadium.
My outlier is a wildcard - spent many a weekend working/attending high school championship weekend at Williams Brice. IMO it's a far better lower bowl seating experience than Death Valley.

FUBeAR
September 28th, 2020, 11:21 AM
https://twitter.com/fcs_stats/status/1310606438423842816

Milktruck74
September 30th, 2020, 09:07 AM
Yeah - I thought of that; chose to ignore it like a false positive.

Another thought would be the Mercedes Benz Arena. Since Atlanta no longer has an NFL Team; we need to get some use out of it!

Or...how ‘bout the Charlotte Motor Speedway? They haven’t done one of those games like Bristol, so they probably would want to - & NO WORRIES about social distancing there as I suspect the crowd would be a bit under 171,000.

There has actually been a game at CMS before. Back in the mid 80s (spring), my pops announced a FLAG football game there before the race. They marked off the grass in front of the main grandstands, and played. If I recall, it was a group of Pros agains a college all-star team, basically seniors
that had finished their 4 years. I don't think it was actually broadcasted, but rather just announced at the track. That was back when the pros were excited to get a free weekend at the Holiday Inn, and 4 tickets tot he race. hahaha.

FUBeAR
October 1st, 2020, 05:31 PM
Mercer Head Football Coach, Drew Cronic, spoke to the Macon Touchdown Club this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MURMIDMT-9Q

FUBeAR
October 10th, 2020, 09:24 AM
Guess we’ll stay in the “Offseason” thread until we have a (somewhat)real season in the Spring...hopefully.

Mercer Bears hype video for their game @ JaxSt today, narrated by one of FUBeAR’s All-Time Favorite Bears, Jordan “JoJo” Marshall, a Day1 Bear WR, now on Mercer Football’s Staff...

https://twitter.com/mercerfootball/status/1314717301464330248

FUBeAR
October 10th, 2020, 05:34 PM
Welp... 0-2 ... but not an awful day for the SoCon ... CIT falls by 5 against a 31.5 spread to an FBS Team that has been ranked this year & Mercer has a chance to win @ the end on the road against a perennial FCS Top 5 JaxSt squad, who looked like they were going to overwhelm a P5 ACC Team in the 1st half last week.

Nice finish to their otherwise tough Fall by a very short-handed bellhop team.

Let’s see if the Bears can use CIT’s Defensive Playbook in their next contest against Army. Mercer needs to clean up Punter receiving snaps (gave JaxSt 2 short fields on botches of those today) & needs to get more from the QB position. No RIDDLE to how they plan to do that in the Spring.

BTW...it was a BANGIN’ kickoff to the Drew Cronic era for the Bears...

https://twitter.com/mercerfootball/status/1315006681613504515

ElCid
October 11th, 2020, 10:21 AM
I was fairly pleased with my Dogs performance yesterday. The defense was stout, mostly. We could have easily won that game. Got to give kudos to the coach for executing the onside kick on the opening kickoff ... and recovering it. Even if we turned it over a couple plays later. Army was thrown into a tizzy as a result. They no idea what to expect after that. Also, I am really liking the speed of our second half QB. Bodes well for the future. He just needs to up his game in his reads. He displayed a couple poor choices in his pitch decisions. Just needs experience.

Can the spring get here soon enough? Will there be a spring?

blueGOldMOCS
October 11th, 2020, 10:34 AM
I wish the SoCon would give us some idea of a spring schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SU DOG
October 11th, 2020, 11:06 AM
Nice job by both of our SoCon teams. Is the SoCon going to be the last to post a Spring schedule?

Mocs123
October 12th, 2020, 07:56 AM
I keep hearing an 8 game spring schedule but I've yet to hear anything official.

Mocs123
October 12th, 2020, 08:03 AM
Speaking of a spring season, since we have quite a few former players on this forum - Is it too much strain on the players bodies to play a spring season and a regular fall season with so little turn around?

FUBeAR
October 12th, 2020, 08:31 AM
Speaking of a spring season, since we have quite a few former players on this forum - Is it too much strain on the players bodies to play a spring season and a regular fall season with so little turn around?
Nah...only issue is rehab time for Players injured in Spring. Uninjured Players will be fine.

Libertine
October 12th, 2020, 10:33 AM
Nah...only issue is rehab time for Players injured in Spring. Uninjured Players will be fine.

From a purely physical standpoint, I agree with this. From a practical standpoint and from a coaching standpoint, depth and load management -- especially along the O and D lines -- gets more iffy in the fall season. Typically, teams use "normal" spring football to build depth along with physical strength and experience for their younger and redshirted players but that depth will have already taken a hit with guys lost to spring injuries who can't recover in time for fall. Without those spring practices, it could be very easy to rush a kid into playing before he's physically/mentally ready and, on the other end, it could be more difficult to properly manage substitutions because you have fewer guys you can count on. Both of these things could lead to increased injury numbers in the fall.

It would not surprise me to see some schools who (a) know they're at least a year away from competing for conference titles and (b) know that they can throw a true freshman in the fire this year without burning his redshirt, using the spring season as a sort of "enhanced" spring practice session. I think, by the end of the spring schedule, you'll see a lot of healthy scratches for teams toward the middle and bottom of the standings.

FUBeAR
October 13th, 2020, 08:16 PM
https://twitter.com/mercerfootball/status/1316068686197927936

FUBeAR
October 14th, 2020, 06:45 PM
Welp...the SoCon AD’s wrapped their 2-Day Fall Meetings ... and here’s the BIG announcement we’ve all been waiting for...

https://soconsports.com/news/2020/10/14/general-schedules-discussed-championship-rotations-set-at-fall-meetings.aspx

...or not. WTF?

PaladinNation
October 14th, 2020, 08:09 PM
Something tells me some SoCon members are not wanting spring ball to happen…

The Cats
October 16th, 2020, 07:06 AM
Something tells me some SoCon members are not wanting spring ball to happen…

So, do you mean Furman?

PaladinNation
October 17th, 2020, 07:05 AM
So, do you mean Furman?

nope… Furman AD and CCH have publicly stated they want and expect to play in the spring.

I'd like to know where Wofford and ETSU stand?

kdinva
October 21st, 2020, 05:29 AM
I've heard a "hint" that the Spring SoCon slate will start Feb. 20th.....

PaladinNation
October 21st, 2020, 05:46 AM
I've heard a "hint" that the Spring SoCon slate will start Feb. 20th.....

SoCon BB was released yesterday… on GoPaladins some are saying a SoCon football schedule will be released this week.

Mocs123
October 21st, 2020, 07:11 AM
I believe you can expect a schedule to be released this week. I've seen an unofficial copy so it does exist.

FUBeAR
October 21st, 2020, 07:50 AM
I believe you can expect a schedule to be released this week. I've seen an unofficial copy so it does exist.
If you seed it...what it look like?

How many SoCon games for each team?
If 8, did CIT show 8?
Any OOC games indicated / allowed

ETSUfan1
October 21st, 2020, 12:48 PM
Schedules dropping with the next few hours I’m hearing. Citadel only allowed 7 league games so another team will get screwed out of a game as well.

walliver
October 21st, 2020, 12:59 PM
Schedules dropping with the next few hours I’m hearing. Citadel only allowed 7 league games so another team will get screwed out of a game as well.

So is FCS limited to 11 games this season? I wonder if Citadel gets to pick who they want to play.

Wofford started formal fall practice this week. I hope the season gets played, but it probably depends on how bad Corona/Flu season is this winter. The CDC is already planning distribution of the Pfizer vaccine later this year to health care providers and nursing home residents, but it probably won't be widely available until late Spring or Summer.

walliver
October 21st, 2020, 01:03 PM
The schedule is out and The Citadel will NOT play Furman this year.

https://soconsports.com/news/2020/10/21/socon-announces-spring-football-conference-schedule.aspx

Mocs123
October 21st, 2020, 01:10 PM
https://gomocs.com/news/2020/10/21/socon-announces-2021-spring-football-schedule.aspx

Mocs123
October 21st, 2020, 01:18 PM
Congratulations on the win Furman.

kdinva
October 21st, 2020, 01:31 PM
VMI's:

Saturday, Feb. 20 – at Chattanooga
Saturday, Feb. 27 – ETSU
Saturday, Mar. 6 – at Western Carolina
Saturday, Mar. 13 – MERCER
Saturday, Mar. 20 – at Samford
Saturday, Mar. 27 – FURMAN
Saturday, Apr. 3 – at Wofford
Saturday, Apr. 17 – THE CITADEL
Saturday, Apr. 24 – FCS Playoffs

kdinva
October 21st, 2020, 01:35 PM
Congratulations on the win Furman.

yes;

The Citadel played four fall contests, which means it can only play seven spring games to avoid exceeding the NCAA-mandated 11-game regular-season maximum. The SoCon Council of Presidents approved a plan for the Bulldogs to compete in seven league games with one no-contest against a randomly selected league opponent. Furman was selected as that opponent in a blind draw. The no-contest is a game not played and will be considered a forfeit in the conference standings only, per NCAA policies.

FUBeAR
October 21st, 2020, 02:42 PM
ChuckTown Post-Courier sez bellhops not eligible for title in Spring

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/citadel/citadel-football-limited-to-7-socon-games-in-spring-bulldogs-will-not-face-rival-furman/article_cc0100fe-13ab-11eb-b4f5-47f740ca95c4.html

paywalled, but the title tells the tale

Mocs123
October 21st, 2020, 03:32 PM
The Citadel is limited by the number of games they can play in a year by the NCAA and since they played four this fall they can only do 7 in the spring. That makes Furman 1-0 in SoCon play and The Citadel ineligible for the SoCon championship.

My thought was though that works out well for Furman, that's a big rivalry game for both schools.

FUBeAR
October 21st, 2020, 03:45 PM
The Citadel is limited by the number of games they can play in a year by the NCAA and since they played four this fall they can only do 7 in the spring. That makes Furman 1-0 in SoCon play and The Citadel ineligible for the SoCon championship.

My thought was though that works out well for Furman, that's a big rivalry game for both schools.Well informed sources are saying that FU is NOT 1-0 to start the season.

Mocs123
October 21st, 2020, 07:34 PM
Are you implying that The Citadel's request to the NCAA to play an additional game gets approved and thus they play Furman the second week of the season?

ElCid
October 21st, 2020, 08:24 PM
Looks like we got screwed. Forced to forfeit a game and drew Furman from random pick. ***** the NCAA. Scumbags apparently didn't grant waiver. It's not like it was 12 games in 13 weeks. It's 12 games over 9 freaking months. What do you expect from that twisted organization.

FUBeAR
October 21st, 2020, 09:53 PM
Looks like we got screwed. Forced to forfeit a game and drew Furman from random pick. ***** the NCAA. Scumbags apparently didn't grant waiver. It's not like it was 12 games in 13 weeks. It's 12 games over 9 freaking months. What do you expect from that twisted organization.agree that NCAA is twisted to put it so, so mildly.

HOWEVER...

CIT did not “get screwed.”

Some well-paid Officials employed by The Citadel DECIDED to screw CIT.

You know NCAA is f’d. I know NCAA is f’d. And we get paid the square root of $0 to know that. It seems those well-paid Officials would know it, as well.

Don’t schedule the home game with EKU. Don’t pay them $100,000 to come to ChuckTown to kick your a$$e$. And, all is good.

BTW - Upon further review...Furman does start the Spring season 1-0 in the SoCon, but the game does not count in any NCAA, SoCon, FU, ot CIT records.

So, now, as the Gods of Football would (and will...hopefully) have it, the 100th meeting of these ancient SoCon rivals will be in the Fall of 2021 in Greenville. #61-36-3.

FUBeAR
October 21st, 2020, 09:55 PM
Are you implying that The Citadel's request to the NCAA to play an additional game gets approved and thus they play Furman the second week of the season?
No...

Upon further review...Furman does start the Spring season 1-0 in the SoCon, but the game does not count in any NCAA, SoCon, FU, ot CIT records.

OhioHen
October 22nd, 2020, 07:34 AM
No...

Upon further review...Furman does start the Spring season 1-0 in the SoCon, but the game does not count in any NCAA, SoCon, FU, ot CIT records.

Or AGS poll.

FUBeAR
October 22nd, 2020, 07:57 AM
Or AGS poll.
Not officially, but assuming FU has a good Spring season, I would have to think AGS Poll Voters are not going to ‘register’ in their minds to extract 1 win from FU’s record as they are preparing their rankings...after the 1st few weeks. Could be wrong, but with so many data points to consider (such as sorting out which Big Sky Conference games don’t count as Conference games & which Big Sky non-Conference games do count as Conference games), I think Furman would get some (admittedly, unwarranted) ‘bump’ from that 1 “free spin” win showing up on the record.

ElCid
October 22nd, 2020, 04:00 PM
agree that NCAA is twisted to put it so, so mildly.

HOWEVER...

CIT did not “get screwed.”

Some well-paid Officials employed by The Citadel DECIDED to screw CIT.

You know NCAA is f’d. I know NCAA is f’d. And we get paid the square root of $0 to know that. It seems those well-paid Officials would know it, as well.

Don’t schedule the home game with EKU. Don’t pay them $100,000 to come to ChuckTown to kick your a$$e$. And, all is good.

BTW - Upon further review...Furman does start the Spring season 1-0 in the SoCon, but the game does not count in any NCAA, SoCon, FU, ot CIT records.

So, now, as the Gods of Football would (and will...hopefully) have it, the 100th meeting of these ancient SoCon rivals will be in the Fall of 2021 in Greenville. #61-36-3.

Sure, we made out, but I'm pretty sure this is just sour grapes by those with the power. We made lots of money this fall. Got some younger folks some experience. I don't think we had any horrible injuries. I guess it is payback time. Glow in your victory.xthumbsupx

FUBeAR
October 22nd, 2020, 04:13 PM
Glow in your victory.xthumbsupx

I plan to...in the Fall of 2021, in the shadow of Paris Mountain, as we celebrate the 100th battle with & the hanging of the 61st “L” on the bellhops in the 100th year of the SoCon.

ElCid
October 22nd, 2020, 04:43 PM
Is it Spring yet?

gofurman
October 23rd, 2020, 07:48 AM
Sure, we made out, but I'm pretty sure this is just sour grapes by those with the power. We made lots of money this fall. Got some younger folks some experience. I don't think we had any horrible injuries. I guess it is payback time. Glow in your victory.xthumbsupx

What, FU and Citadel, agreeing?? Good attitude ElCid. You got the $$$. We get the free 'W'. It is what it is. Your admin made a choice - heck, who knows if the spring will happen anyway? It's still a one in the hand, two in the bush ordeal. That said, I would have played 3 games if I were Citadel getting experience (and playing at Army, I think that is cool!) and leaving no doubt as to the spring. That is what baffles me, why play 4 games instead of 3? Oh well, someone thought it was worth the ROI

FUBeAR
October 23rd, 2020, 08:43 AM
What, FU and Citadel, agreeing?? Good attitude ElCid. You got the $$$. We get the free 'W'. It is what it is. Your admin made a choice - heck, who knows if the spring will happen anyway? It's still a one in the hand, two in the bush ordeal. That said, I would have played 3 games if I were Citadel getting experience (and playing at Army, I think that is cool!) and leaving no doubt as to the spring. That is what baffles me, why play 4 games instead of 3? Oh well, someone thought it was worth the ROI
Nope - scheduling EKU reduced ROI by $100k (- costs of hosting game + gate receipts) - all other decisions were fine - That decision was akin to opening a 2nd front with Russia in the winter.

ElCid
October 23rd, 2020, 03:53 PM
Nope - scheduling EKU reduced ROI by $100k (- costs of hosting game + gate receipts) - all other decisions were fine - That decision was akin to opening a 2nd front with Russia in the winter.

As I recall the timeline, we only had three games with EKU. THEN, we got the Army game late. We were not going to renege on EKU.

ElCid
October 23rd, 2020, 03:58 PM
Apparently the legal wheels are in now in motion with the NCAA and SOCON over our 12th game. Good. Story ain't over yet.

FUBeAR
October 23rd, 2020, 04:33 PM
As I recall the timeline, we only had three games with EKU. THEN, we got the Army game late. We were not going to renege on EKU.
Sounds good.

BUT - In this season of rampant reneging, nobody would have faulted, and everyone would have understood the logic of CIT taking the game with Army, and pushing the EKU game to a later year OOC schedule. Didn’t have to be a reneging, just a renegotiation - happens every day in college football.

FUBeAR
October 23rd, 2020, 04:34 PM
Apparently the legal wheels are in now in motion with the NCAA and SOCON over our 12th game. Good. Story ain't over yet.
Hope the NCAA relents. Don’t think they will.

ElCid
October 23rd, 2020, 04:48 PM
Hope the NCAA relents. Don’t think they will.

We just need to make it as painful as we can for them. Be relentless.

Mocs123
October 24th, 2020, 07:44 PM
I rarely blame officials for losses - the last time I can think of was against GSU in 2013, but the officials just took the game from us against WKU. First a roughing the passer call when the hit was when the QB's arm was still going forward that kept the drive alive that gave them the go ahead score, and then calling back a KOR touchdown because they said he called a fair catch. Worst officiating I've seen in a long time, and probably the only time I can say it was blatant enough that it seemed intentional.

Libertine
October 24th, 2020, 07:53 PM
I rarely blame officials for losses - the last time I can think of was against GSU in 2013, but the officials just took the game from us against WKU. First a roughing the passer call when the hit was when the QB's arm was still going forward that kept the drive alive that gave them the go ahead score, and then calling back a KOR touchdown because they said he called a fair catch. Worst officiating I've seen in a long time, and probably the only time I can say it was blatant enough that it seemed intentional.

The roughing call was legit because the defender hit the QB in the head, arm in motion or no. However, wiping out the KOR TD because somebody thirty yards from the ball was waving at the return man is completely bogus.

SU DOG
October 25th, 2020, 10:17 AM
It would be hard to interpret that as a fair catch signal. Only his left arm was elevated, and he was facing Nunnelly as if communicating to him, and certainly not to the officials. This type of thing happens way too often with FBS bias. Two years ago what happened to Samford at FSU was humiliating, but did not affect the outcome - only the final score. Near the end of the game, the official threw a flag for what was VERY obviously a block in the back on the Noles. This was near the end of the game and FSU had the 3 point win. Even the ACC announcers couldn't believe he picked up the flag, and they said so. So the runner scored, and FSU got a 10 point and not the 3 point win.

As for the UTC situation, the Hilltoppers were beaten. IMO, they would not have been able to score in the remaining 1:21. For the most part, the Mocs controlled the LOS. UTC showed me a solid well-coached team in what I think is obviously an improving SoCon.

FUBeAR
October 26th, 2020, 12:58 PM
“Stolen” from another thread - thought it was pretty cool & SoCon related- Go Cats! #DisarmTheColonels

ttps://ekusports.com/news/2020/10/2...nity-bowl.aspx (https://ekusports.com/news/2020/10/26/football-eku-to-host-inaugural-opportunity-bowl.aspx)

From my post on the EKU board...

I had no idea this was in the works, but I've been saying we should make this an annual rivalry for a long time. I mean, think about it...

-Both schools are longtime FCS members who take FCS football reasonably seriously.
-Both schools are largely known for serving the Appalachian Mountain region of their respective states.
-Both schools lost their longtime primary rivalry game to the FBS (App State in their case).

Therefore, we've both had kind of a rivalry vacuum that can be filled by each other. I think if you promote this well you can really make an event out of it that both schools need on their annual schedule. I realize rivalries are really only truly made by game history, but this is a nice jump start. I love it!

FUBeAR
October 26th, 2020, 01:19 PM
Also... https://mercerbears.com/news/2020/10/26/football-mercer-vs-abilene-christian-sold-out.aspx

Mercer vs. Abilene Christian Sold OutMercer Athletics announces Watch Party for SaturdayMACON, Ga. – Five Star Stadium is sold out for the contest but fans wanting to be part of the best game day atmosphere still have a chance by attending the Watch Party presented by US Army ROTC. Prior to the watch party starting, there will be music by Hindsight as part of the Ford Concert Series. Festivities begin at 12 p.ma on Black Field.

Catch your favorite Bear heading to the stadium as they make their way from the Jessie Mercer Statue, through Cruz Plaza passing Black Field and into the gates of Five Star at 12:30 p.m. The Mercer homecoming King and Queen will be announced at 12:45 p.m. Hindsight will start at 1 p.m.

FUBeAR
October 28th, 2020, 09:16 PM
Might want to make a note of this young man’s name. A true Freshman, he has looked quite special in Mercer’s 2 games this Fall vs. very high quality competition...

https://twitter.com/mercerfootball/status/1321589076135477248

#
Player
GP
Solo
ASST
TOT
TFL-YDS
Sacks-YDS

Dowling, Isaac
3.0-12
3.0-12

Mocs123
October 29th, 2020, 05:43 AM
32 Tackles and 3 sacks in two games!!! I guess I will want to make note of him. I'm not sure I want to see a player like that in the SoCon for four years that isn't wearing the blue and gold.

Mocs123
October 29th, 2020, 08:44 AM
Per Gene Henley with the Chattanooga Times Free Press, the Mocs will play Nebraska this Saturday!

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2020/oct/29/utc-close-finalizing-matchagainst-nebraskweek/535005/

FUBeAR
October 29th, 2020, 09:47 AM
Per Gene Henley with the Chattanooga Times Free Press, the Mocs will play Nebraska this Saturday!

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2020/oct/29/utc-close-finalizing-matchagainst-nebraskweek/535005/

THAT’S AWESOME!!

SHUCK ‘EM!!!

Mocs123
October 29th, 2020, 09:50 AM
Now I'm hearing the Big Ten denied the request and the game will not happen. Chattanooga tested players yesterday and they all came back negative. Another round of tests were to happen today.

FUBeAR
October 29th, 2020, 09:58 AM
Now I'm hearing the Big Ten denied the request and the game will not happen. Chattanooga tested players yesterday and they all came back negative. Another round of tests were to happen today.

THEY JUST SKEEERT!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv26dLnbi9g

OhioHen
October 29th, 2020, 10:00 AM

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30216947/sources-big-ten-nixes-nebraska-cornhuskers-replacement-game-vs-chattanooga-mocs

Libertine
October 29th, 2020, 11:31 AM
I think Nebraska has probably had about enough of the leadership of the B1G. I'm not sure what they can realistically do about it though.

FUBeAR
October 29th, 2020, 03:35 PM
https://twitter.com/jeff_fromthepc/status/1321891407976693761

Good - the NCAA had an ‘off-day’ and made a logical decision. Blind squirrel theory applies, I guess.

ElCid
October 30th, 2020, 07:53 AM
I'm pretty sure, like all bullies, when you stand up to them, they usually cave. Worked for Bulldogs. But we had time on our side. Wasn't enough time for Nebraska to stand up the Big Ten Buttheads. Too bad for the Mocs.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 30th, 2020, 08:55 AM

Why?

Another reason to hate that conference. I wonder if they're just simply butthurt Nebraska was right about not cancelling the season and they were wrong.

OhioHen
October 30th, 2020, 10:26 AM
Why?

Another reason to hate that conference. I wonder if they're just simply butthurt Nebraska was right about not cancelling the season and they were wrong.

The Little Fourteen made a big deal about playing only conference games as a way of controlling the schedule relative to the virus (THAT worked out well), so allowing Nebraska to play an OOC would have been "backsliding" in their eyes.

kdinva
October 30th, 2020, 11:18 AM
The Little Fourteen made a big deal about playing only conference games as a way of controlling the schedule .

led by Barry Alvarez?

FUBeAR
October 30th, 2020, 07:32 PM
Bit of a different hype video from Mercer Football this week. Still pretty cool though.

https://twitter.com/mercerfootball/status/1322320010208026624

FUBeAR
November 14th, 2020, 03:04 PM
Liberty 58 - WCU 14 - final

PaladinNation
November 15th, 2020, 07:22 AM
Liberty 58 - WCU 14 - final

Early on I held out for some hope for Western and then Liberty just steam-rolled them. Is it just me all of these offenses are starting to look the same?

Libertine
November 16th, 2020, 08:25 AM
Early on I held out for some hope for Western and then Liberty just steam-rolled them. Is it just me all of these offenses are starting to look the same?

Once LU started pulling away in the second, it was pretty clear that Western was most interested in seeing what they have at certain positions, especially QB. I can't blame them, given the circumstances. They essentially got paid to scrimmage.

PaladinNation
November 16th, 2020, 12:20 PM
Once LU started pulling away in the second, it was pretty clear that Western was most interested in seeing what they have at certain positions, especially QB. I can't blame them, given the circumstances. They essentially got paid to scrimmage.

ditto…

pretty sure this wasn't shared here - some heavily-edited video highlights of Furman's fall scrimmage. Furman's more beefy defensive front shows up at the :20 second mark and the option play by Hamp Sisson at the :59 second mark has some interesting things going on - #21 is sophomore Wayne Anderson.
https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1322174078623584258

The Cats
November 16th, 2020, 03:03 PM
The ASUN may be adding 3 teams, which would help them establish football.

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanHoops

Can confirm that ASUN likely to add Eastern Kentucky, Central Arkansas and Jacksonville State for the 2021-22 season.

FUBeAR
November 16th, 2020, 03:27 PM
The ASUN may be adding 3 teams, which would help them establish football.

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanHoops

Can confirm that ASUN likely to add Eastern Kentucky, Central Arkansas and Jacksonville State for the 2021-22 season.
Interesting - if they can grab Football from those 3 + Kennesaw & N. Alabama (ASUN Members for other sports)...I could see Chatt & ETSU being interested in looking at making a move.

PaladinNation
November 16th, 2020, 09:04 PM
I'll be curious to see if ETSU and Chatty would leave the SoCon for ASun football just when the SoCon is making noise as a solid mid-major basketball league that could be on the cusp of being a two-bid league.

ETSUfan1
November 17th, 2020, 01:08 AM
I'll be curious to see if ETSU and Chatty would leave the SoCon for ASun football just when the SoCon is making noise as a solid mid-major basketball league that could be on the cusp of being a two-bid league.
No

Mocs123
November 17th, 2020, 08:27 AM
I can't comment on Chattanooga's interest (assuming they are even being courted) as I'm not privy to those discussions. I agree that SoCon basketball has been very good the past few years, but is it sustainable ? Furman doesn't have a long BB history that I am aware of - what happens when Richey leaves? Wofford had been mediocre for years under Mike Young and then he had a couple of really good years and McAuley seems to have continued that success, but with Young's players. ETSU has been good, but look to take a step back this year - I'm sure they will eventually be back as BB as really important to ETSU, but I wonder how important it is to Wofford or Furman? They seem like football schools to me.

FUBeAR
November 17th, 2020, 12:10 PM
I can't comment on Chattanooga's interest (assuming they are even being courted) as I'm not privy to those discussions. I agree that SoCon basketball has been very good the past few years, but is it sustainable ? Furman doesn't have a long BB history that I am aware of - what happens when Richey leaves? Wofford had been mediocre for years under Mike Young and then he had a couple of really good years and McAuley seems to have continued that success, but with Young's players. ETSU has been good, but look to take a step back this year - I'm sure they will eventually be back as BB as really important to ETSU, but I wonder how important it is to Wofford or Furman? They seem like football schools to me.
Unfamiliar with Frank Selvy, Darrell Floyd, Coach Joe Williams, Clyde Mayes, Jonathan Moore, and the Daniel brothers, I see.

Furman has a long, rich tradition as a basketball school.

NCAA Tournament Sweet Sixteen

NCAA Tournament Appearances

1971, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1978, 1980

The weekend after I signed with FU they beat UNC & NC State in back-to-back Fri/Sat night games.

Yeah, Football took over in the 80’s and then hoops had a pretty long ‘pause,’ but it’s back now & the older FU Alums are VERY hoops oriented.

PaladinNation
November 17th, 2020, 08:02 PM

Fair questions… Bear set the table.

Look under the hood of Furman Athletics… the Dins are all in on basketball. The AD is from Nova, a donor came forward and through a donation I'm told Furman has the highest paid staff across the board in the SoCon. Richey is going to be a hot ticket soon. Thankfully, Furman has two excellent choices sitting on the bench next to Richey as well as who knows who else would apply.

Furman and Greenville are basketball sleeping giants. I think Furman will continue to build off its successful entry back into the Greenville downtown scene.

Last note… recruiting Furman inked four players in the early signing period beating out MAC and A10 schools. I'm bullish on SoCon basketball that includes Greensboro, ETSU, Chatty, Wofford and the up and coming WCU and Mercer teams.

SU DOG
November 18th, 2020, 10:08 AM
You can give many reasons why Samford BB is picked as a #8 or #9 in the SoCon this year. There is actually a good chance that we will be the surprise of the league. I'm not saying competing for the crown, but I am saying this team is going to win more than expected.

What concerns me much more is the defense of our football team. Offensively a chance to be very good, defensively -many questions.

Mocs123
November 18th, 2020, 10:44 AM
What concerns me much more is the defense of our football team. Offensively a chance to be very good, defensively -many questions.

That's what you seemingly can say about Samford Football every year. Hatcher's offenses can play with anyone, but he defenses leave something to be desired some of which is just due to the style of play. I always think Samford with their high powered offense has a chance to win against any team they play, but also risk stumbling against any team with their defensive vulnerabilities.

SU DOG
November 18th, 2020, 11:11 AM
That's what you seemingly can say about Samford Football every year. Hatcher's offenses can play with anyone, but he defenses leave something to be desired some of which is just due to the style of play. I always think Samford with their high powered offense has a chance to win against any team they play, but also risk stumbling against any team with their defensive vulnerabilities.

RIGHT - Seems to be a problem every year.
WRONG - When you say ANY team. We couldn't beat UTC if they played their 3rd string. LOL!

walliver
November 18th, 2020, 03:42 PM
I can see the A-Sun being interested in ETSU and UTC (and WCU isn't any further away than ETSU), but, ETSU (and WCU) would be well out of the current footprint - it's a long haul from Johnson City to Conway, Arkansas. I suspect ETSU would choose geography and basketball over tuna. Chatty would be a better geographic fit, but they also take basketball seriously and already get to play Jacksonville State in football many years. Unless the A-Sun becomes a multi-bid FCS powerhouse, I don't see how a move like this would benefit the Mocs.

The A-Sun would need 6 teams to get a playoff spot, so I suspect they already have someone else in mind to get to 6.

ETSUfan1
November 22nd, 2020, 11:06 PM
I can assure you that ETSU will not return to the ASUN unless the SoCon gets poached. Just any mention of the Atlantic Sun conference makes any Buc fan cringe. That time period was an embarrassment.

Mocs123
December 3rd, 2020, 10:28 AM
#FCS entry into portal as a grad transfer; QB Reece Udinski passed for 6,358 yards and 39 TDs during the 2018 and 2019 seasons at #VMI; PA native; 6'4" 225 lbs

Big loss for VMI

FUBeAR
December 3rd, 2020, 11:10 AM
#FCS entry into portal as a grad transfer; QB Reece Udinski passed for 6,358 yards and 39 TDs during the 2018 and 2019 seasons at #VMI; PA native; 6'4" 225 lbs

Big loss for VMI
That sucks for VMI & sucks for the SoCon.

Libertine
December 3rd, 2020, 11:16 AM

Big loss for VMI

This is fallout from everybody keeping the year of eligibility even though their education doesn't stop. The kid is on track to graduate but VMI doesn't have a grad program so what else can he do other than transfer?

Mocs123
December 3rd, 2020, 11:35 AM
Is that the reason? Isn't that why their last stud QB left with a year of eligibility left (his name eludes me at this point was it Cobb)?

walliver
December 7th, 2020, 02:58 PM
Is that the reason? Isn't that why their last stud QB left with a year of eligibility left (his name eludes me at this point was it Cobb)?

I've heard that VMI requires 5th year seniors to remain in the Corps of Cadets.

apaladin
December 11th, 2020, 09:18 PM
Furman redshirt sophomore QB Darren Grainger has entered the dreaded portal. Wish he would stay. Had his ups and downs last year but had great games at Georgia State and Virginia Tech in close FBS losses.Leaves the Paladins thin at QB. Only another redshirt sophomore Hamp Sisson left and a bunch of walk ons. Furman needs a transfer QB now for sure.

PaladinNation
December 13th, 2020, 06:48 AM
Furman redshirt sophomore QB Darren Grainger has entered the dreaded portal. Wish he would stay. Had his ups and downs last year but had great games at Georgia State and Virginia Tech in close FBS losses.Leaves the Paladins thin at QB. Only another redshirt sophomore Hamp Sisson left and a bunch of walk ons. Furman needs a transfer QB now for sure.

need to give a little context to this post… Sisson has been selected a team captain along with Senior Elijah McCoy. Several indications are that Sisson was the leading candidate to start. Jack Hardin (RSJR) was a PWO offer for Furman but had scholarship offers from several schools. He's the current holder and has seen game action. I think Hardin is capable to step in. The other backup QB is Luke Shiflett (switched from WR), Shiflett is a scholarship player, he transferred to FU from MTSU and took a medical redshirt. Shiflett was a 3 star QB with a lot of FBS attention and offers, unfortunately he broke his ankle in the first game of his senior high school season.

kdinva
December 15th, 2020, 02:22 PM

Big loss for VMI

Reece will play in the Spring, get his diploma, then move on.....

kdinva
December 15th, 2020, 02:24 PM
I've heard that VMI requires 5th year seniors to remain in the Corps of Cadets.

that is still true.... xbangx .....but VMI folks hoping the new Supe and some new BOV members will at least lessen the requirements for fifth year cadets (IE: have to take only 6 credit hours, no parades, etc)

Mocs123
December 16th, 2020, 05:25 PM
I saw Kaelan Riley signed with North Greenville today - I didn't know he had left Mercer. Does that mean Riddle has reclaimed the starting QB spot? The last I remember (it seems like such a long time ago) they had flip-flopped on the starting job a few times.

FUBeAR
December 16th, 2020, 07:06 PM
I saw Kaelan Riley signed with North Greenville today - I didn't know he had left Mercer. Does that mean Riddle has reclaimed the starting QB spot? The last I remember (it seems like such a long time ago) they had flip-flopped on the starting job a few times.
Good for Kaelan. Didn’t know that. Good kid. Good family. I believe his Dad lives in GVL. His Mom played hoops for Clemson, so he’ll be at home in the Upstate.

Nice write-up https://nguathletics.com/news/2020/12/16/football-kaelan-riley-inks-with-north-greenville-on-early-signing-day.aspx

The Abridged Version of the Modern-Day Mercer Football Quarterback Story

After John Russ was Mercer’s QB for 4 seasons (2013-2016), Kaelan was the Bears Starting QB for the 2017 season as a R-FR and was named SoCon Freshman of the Year. In 2018, R-FR, Robert Riddle challenged for the starting job from Spring Practice into Pre-Season. Kaelan started the opener against Memphis with Riddle playing a good bit & comparatively well. Riddle started the next week with Kaelan playing a good bit & both performed well. In the 3rd game, Riddle started and led Mercer to a victory over #9 Samford in B’Ham. Riddle was 23-34 for 316 & 1 TD. He ran for 2 TD’s also.

So, Robert Riddle has been Mercer’s Starting QB since that game on 9/15/18. That said, he broke his collar bone late in the game the following week, knocking him out for the rest of the season & Kaelan replaced Riddle, until he was also injured in game, 8 and Harrison Frost replaced Riley in games 9 & 10. Riley returned in game 11. Riddle returned to start the 1st 7 games of the 2019 season before suffering a devastating compound lower leg fracture, obviously ending his season again. Kaelan, again, replaced the injured Riddle & played out his R-Jr season at QB. He entered the transfer portal shortly after Coach Cronic was named as Mercer’s new Head Coach.

Riddle remained “on the IR” this Fall during Mercer’s 3 games (Frost was the QB...except for a few plays @Army, when Freshman Carter Peavy took some ‘mop-up’ snaps), but is projected to be 100% recovered & Mercer’s Starting QB this coming Spring.

Got all that? It will all be on the quiz.

Mocs123
December 17th, 2020, 07:01 AM
I just remember both starting some the past few years, I guess Kaelan was starting due to Riddle being hurt. I wish him the best at N. Greenville.

SU DOG
December 22nd, 2020, 12:09 PM
Former Samford DB James Bradberry was named to the NFL's 2021 Pro Bowl when the rosters were released Monday afternoon. Bradberry, who is having an outstanding season with the Giants, was a 2nd round pick for the Panthers in 2016.

Another Samford DB, Cortland Finnegan, was selected for this honor back in 2008.

FUBeAR
December 30th, 2020, 01:54 PM
Interesting...

https://twitter.com/insidercff/status/1344040112200495110

https://goccusports.com/sports/football/roster/fred-payton/15463 - CCU Bio

kdinva
January 3rd, 2021, 11:09 AM
A friend pointed out to me, that on the SoCon composite sked page, four of eight Samford games are labeled: "cancelled", but not on Samford's website..... xeyebrowx

Southern Conference (soconsports.com) (https://soconsports.com/calendar.aspx?path=football)

FUBeAR
January 3rd, 2021, 04:31 PM
A friend pointed out to me, that on the SoCon composite sked page, four of eight Samford games are labeled: "cancelled", but not on Samford's website..... xeyebrowx

Southern Conference (soconsports.com) (https://soconsports.com/calendar.aspx?path=football)Hopefully, just a mistake. If all in B’Ham were showing as “Cancelled” or all Road Games nixed, then some logic could be made out of it & there might be something to it, but with 1 road game (CIT) showing “Cancelled” & 1 home game (Wofford) showing as not “Cancelled,” it doesn’t make much sense.

I’ve posted a question about it on their board. Pretty sure some of the regulars there (and here) have good sources in the Ath & Football Dept., who will get it corrected...or we’ll have some kind of explanation otherwise ... maybe.

SU DOG
January 3rd, 2021, 05:08 PM
We WILL soon have some kind of explanation - whether it's one we like or not. I will see to that.

SU DOG
January 3rd, 2021, 10:21 PM
Website glitch. I think you will find it has now been corrected.

kdinva
January 4th, 2021, 05:39 AM
Website glitch. I think you will find it has now been corrected.

xthumbsupx

Milktruck74
January 4th, 2021, 04:52 PM
Interesting...

https://twitter.com/insidercff/status/1344040112200495110

https://goccusports.com/sports/football/roster/fred-payton/15463 - CCU Bio

And how does Riddle feel about that?

FUBeAR
January 4th, 2021, 05:16 PM
And how does Riddle feel about that?um...Interested

Milktruck74
January 4th, 2021, 05:18 PM
I've got a feeling that 8 games in the fall is actually a pipe dream. If we cant get through a full season of Basketball (with 12-15 on the roster) how do you think we will actually make it through a FB season (with 90+ kids hanging out at the cafe, Krystal and Walmart)?

The Cats
January 5th, 2021, 07:29 AM
Grad transfer QB from Penn....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eq19drJVoAA95nw?format=jpg&name=smallhttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eq19drFVQAE8siu?format=jpg&name=360x360

FUBeAR
January 5th, 2021, 08:31 AM
Grad transfer QB from Penn....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eq19drJVoAA95nw?format=jpg&name=smallhttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eq19drFVQAE8siu?format=jpg&name=360x360
Looks like a great ‘add’ with a lot of game experience - https://pennathletics.com/sports/football/roster/ryan-glover/18184

SU DOG
January 5th, 2021, 09:53 AM
HUGE get for the Catamounts. Consensus 3*** with many offers out of HS, and a good college career. CONGRATS!!!

Mocs123
January 5th, 2021, 10:12 AM
Both Mercer and WCU with experienced college QB's in recent days. I think the Mercer QB will be ineligible in the spring due to him playing this fall in 2020 but with the Ivy not playing a fall schedule, Glover should be eligible this spring.

Libertine
January 5th, 2021, 11:58 AM
I think the Mercer QB will be ineligible in the spring due to him playing this fall in 2020

That's an interesting question simply because there's spring competitions involved. In any other year, an FBS --> FCS transfer would certainly be eligible to practice in the spring so, assuming he transferred from Coastal in good academic standing, from an NCAA rules standpoint I don't see why Payton wouldn't be able to play right away at Mercer just a few months later. In fact, I think the NCAA would have to go out of its way to declare him and every other downward transfer -- including FCS --> D2, D3, etc, -- ineligible for this spring. I just don't see this being a big enough concern to them for the idea to gain real traction.

Mocs123
January 6th, 2021, 05:48 AM
That's an interesting question simply because there's spring competitions involved. In any other year, an FBS --> FCS transfer would certainly be eligible to practice in the spring so, assuming he transferred from Coastal in good academic standing, from an NCAA rules standpoint I don't see why Payton wouldn't be able to play right away at Mercer just a few months later. In fact, I think the NCAA would have to go out of its way to declare him and every other downward transfer -- including FCS --> D2, D3, etc, -- ineligible for this spring. I just don't see this being a big enough concern to them for the idea to gain real traction.

I certainly could be wrong, but I thought the NCAA said any player who played in the fall and transferred is ineligible in the spring. "If" he is eligible, is he expected to start ahead of Riddle? Riddle's been a pretty darn QB for Mercer when healthy.

FUBeAR
January 6th, 2021, 06:40 AM
I certainly could be wrong, but I thought the NCAA said any player who played in the fall and transferred is ineligible in the spring. "If" he is eligible, is he expected to start ahead of Riddle? Riddle's been a pretty darn QB for Mercer when healthy.That seems to be what Craig Haley said at the end of this 10/14 article - https://athlonsports.com/college-football/concern-fcs-football-over-proposed-ncaa-one-time-transfer-exception

“The COVID-19 pandemic has split the FCS season over fall (https://athlonsports.com/college-football/fcs-football-ranking-schools-playing-fall-2020) and spring semesters, but the proposal prohibits players from competing at two different schools in the same academic year.”

walliver
January 6th, 2021, 01:50 PM
I've got a feeling that 8 games in the fall is actually a pipe dream. If we cant get through a full season of Basketball (with 12-15 on the roster) how do you think we will actually make it through a FB season (with 90+ kids hanging out at the cafe, Krystal and Walmart)?

I haven't participated much in the Spring Football conversation since I am not convinced there will be Spring Season, yet. I was hoping Wofford would play games this fall. All hospitals of any decent size in Eastern North Carolina are at full capacity, with COVID admissions predicted to continue to rise over the next few weeks. Parts of North Carolina are advancing to vaccinate people in group 1b (folks over 75) this week, but in South Carolina, this probably won't happen until late February. Essential workers and students will be next in line, with April or May being a reasonable time for the general public.

I suspect we will have a very limited Spring Season with very limited attendance - possibly parents only.