PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Offseason Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3

citdog
May 19th, 2020, 01:39 PM
I find that amusing coming from a Citadel fan. The Citadel would have the SoCon's worst athletic program if it wasn't for VMI.

I'd take Furman's athletic program 10 times over the Citadel's.

We can afford baseball. Regretting that move away from Jesus right about now? He does save after all...

citdog
May 19th, 2020, 01:43 PM
Unlike some other schools, FU doesn’t fit the academic profile of most DII programs; so going that direction, nor to NAIA are just not happenin’.

D3, on the other hand, is always a possibility for a small-ish, private, academics-oriented school. BUT, has any school ever moved from D1 to D3?

Now, the hybrid PFL model - essentially D3 Football / D1 other sports is also a possibility for any such school, and for any an underfunded State school, such as Morehead State (I’m assuming they are underfunded; could be wrong). The bellhops & VMI are in that demographic, aren’t they?

So...we’ll see.

As your favorite beat writer, Mr. Hartsell, said...more to come in the SoCon. Probably not the best time to be trumpeting the less-than-ideal developments of your rivals, but...you do you, Col. Little.

There are no plans to cut any sports at The Citadel as stated by the AD during his "Dogtalk" just two weeks ago. The Citadel athletics are not underfunded. The Brigadier Foundation raises more money annually than anyone else in the league and that was true when App, GaSo, and the blundering turds were in the league.

Mocs123
May 19th, 2020, 01:44 PM
They didn't play football, but Birmingham-Southern went from D1 to D3. I only know that because the Mocs lost to them in BB in the Dr. Pepper Classic (The Mocs' yearly tournament - before exempt tournaments killed it) in the early 2000's. This is considered one of the worst losses in Chattanooga BB history.

FUBeAR
May 19th, 2020, 02:05 PM
There are no plans to cut any sports at The Citadel as stated by the AD during his "Dogtalk" just two weeks ago. The Citadel athletics are not underfunded. The Brigadier Foundation raises more money annually than anyone else in the league and that was true when App, GaSo, and the blundering turds were in the league.
LOL - the bellhops have had half a Stadium for over 3 years & still no definitive plans / funding to replace the Charleston Southern-like temporary bleachers in place now. Not sure if the Bell Captain also said this during his “LuggageWalk,” but he said it to the P&C on 4/3/20.

“Temporary stands have been in use since the old east side was torn down in 2017. Citadel athletic director Mike Capaccio said fund-raising continues for that project, though it has been slowed by the economic effects of the coronavirus pandemic.”

Must be hard to see over all that high cotton y’all are standing in.

citdog
May 19th, 2020, 02:32 PM
LOL - the bellhops have had half a Stadium for over 3 years & still no definitive plans / funding to replace the Charleston Southern-like temporary bleachers in place now. Not sure if the Bell Captain also said this during his “LuggageWalk,” but he said it to the P&C on 4/3/20.

“Temporary stands have been in use since the old east side was torn down in 2017. Citadel athletic director Mike Capaccio said fund-raising continues for that project, though it has been slowed by the economic effects of the coronavirus pandemic.”

Must be hard to see over all that high cotton y’all are standing in.

Yet we still manage to outdraw you by almost 4k a home game. Just face it Bro....Your athletic dept is now a part time affair.

PaladinFan
May 19th, 2020, 02:53 PM
Yet we still manage to outdraw you by almost 4k a home game. Just face it Bro....Your athletic dept is now a part time affair.

I can do this too. Furman's hoops attendance more than doubles the Citadel's.

I can understand why you'd reference the only sports program that the Citadel can at least claim is mediocre instead of "bad" to "historically bad."

Again, which athletic program is part time?

citdog
May 19th, 2020, 02:59 PM
I can do this too. Furman's hoops attendance more than doubles the Citadel's.

I can understand why you'd reference the only sports program that the Citadel can at least claim is mediocre instead of "bad" to "historically bad."

Again, which athletic program is part time?

How many SoCon Baseball titles do you have? How many College World Series appearances? Obviously not enough and zero or else you wouldn't have gassed the program. 27-10 Bro with more to come.

FUBeAR
May 19th, 2020, 04:04 PM
How many SoCon Baseball titles do you have? How many College World Series appearances? Obviously not enough and zero or else you wouldn't have gassed the program. 27-10 Bro with more to come.
Let’s go to the tape...Most recent SoCon All-Athletics rankings...

Commissioner’s Cup (through spring sports)
(Men’s athletics)
1. ETSU .889
2. Furman .829
3. Wofford .739
4. Samford .729
5. Mercer .593
6. UNCG .589
7. Chattanooga .529
8. Western Carolina .467
9. The Citadel .403
10. VMI .386

Germann Cup (through spring sports)
(Women’s athletics)
1. Furman .904
2. Samford .901
3. ETSU .796
4. Mercer .735
5. UNCG .633
6. Chattanooga .628
7. Wofford .598
8. Western Carolina .529
9. VMI .206
10. The Citadel .181

Clearly, one of the two bolded schools’ Athletics Program is far superior to the other’s.

Using all of your mathematical & logical skills, which one is clearly the superior program?

...and, if you do a little math...you’ll find VMI’s combined points are .592 & the bellhops combined points are .584...which means...that’s right sports fans, the bellhops OWN the title of OVERALL WORST ATHLETICS PROGRAM in the Southern Conference!

Conversely, that same calculation puts Furman, with 1.733 points, clearly atop all other SoCon programs....and just about 2x ahead of the bellhops. Must be from whence the old saying about a Cit man being 1/2 the man of a Furman man arose.

source - in case of any doubters - https://soconsports.com/news/2019/5/29/211804449.aspx

EDIT - wow - really apologize for my bad math here - I was on a conference call while cipherin’ - Furman is almost 3x better than the bellhops in athletics. I guess we’ll have to update that old saying to a CIT man being only 1/3 of a Furman man.

cx500d
May 19th, 2020, 04:10 PM

(Men’s athletics)
1. ETSU .889
2. Furman .829
3. Wofford .739
4. Samford .729
5. Mercer .593
6. UNCG .589
7. Chattanooga .529
8. Western Carolina .467
9. The Citadel .403
10. VMI .386

(Women’s athletics)
1. Furman .904
2. Samford .901
3. ETSU .796
4. Mercer .735
5. UNCG .633
6. Chattanooga .628
7. Wofford .598
8. Western Carolina .529
9. VMI .206
10. The Citadel .181

Clearly, one of the two bolded schools’ Athletics Program is far superior to the other’s.

Using all of your mathematical & logical skills, which one is clearly the superior program?

...and, if you do a little math...you’ll find VMI’s combined points are .592 & the bellhops combined points are .584...which means...that’s right sports fans, the bellhops OWN the title of OVERALL WORST ATHLETICS PROGRAM in the Southern Conference!
They look to be worse than vmi

citdog
May 19th, 2020, 04:33 PM

(Men’s athletics)
1. ETSU .889
2. Furman .829
3. Wofford .739
4. Samford .729
5. Mercer .593
6. UNCG .589
7. Chattanooga .529
8. Western Carolina .467
9. The Citadel .403
10. VMI .386

(Women’s athletics)
1. Furman .904
2. Samford .901
3. ETSU .796
4. Mercer .735
5. UNCG .633
6. Chattanooga .628
7. Wofford .598
8. Western Carolina .529
9. VMI .206
10. The Citadel .181

Conversely, that same calculation puts Furman, with 1.733 points, clearly atop all other SoCon programs....and just about 2x ahead of the bellhops. Must be from whence the old saying about a Cit man being 1/2 the man of a Furman man arose.

source - in case of any doubters - https://soconsports.com/news/2019/5/29/211804449.aspx

Wymmins athletics are at a premium at Furman because most of their men "identify" as such. What happened in the only sport that matters at paladin stadium last fall when you reformed Baptists played our boys? Jesus himself couldn't save you from the ass whipping you took 27-10 and it could have been 67-10.

cx500d
May 19th, 2020, 08:28 PM
Wymmins athletics are at a premium at Furman because most of their men "identify" as such. What happened in the only sport that matters at paladin stadium last fall when you reformed Baptists played our boys? Jesus himself couldn't save you from the ass whipping you took 27-10 and it could have been 67-10.

I don’t understand how your men posing as women could be so bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaladinFan
May 19th, 2020, 09:47 PM
Until I looked it up today, I didn't realize how poor the Citadel had been overall.

citdog
May 19th, 2020, 10:20 PM
Until I looked it up today, I didn't realize how poor the Citadel had been overall.

How poor were we when we whipped your ass by 3 touchdowns, it could have easily been 6 touchdowns, at Paladin Stadium last fall?

PaladinFan
May 19th, 2020, 10:22 PM
How poor were we when we whipped your ass by 3 touchdowns, it could have easily been 6 touchdowns, at Paladin Stadium last fall?

I realize that's all you've got, so you can keep regurgitating it.

citdog
May 19th, 2020, 10:59 PM
I realize that's all you've got, so you can keep regurgitating it.

27-10

FUBeAR
May 20th, 2020, 06:29 AM
27-10
https://i.giphy.com/media/gHFMLpLPbxmtq/giphy.gif
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-XePdllezo

cx500d
May 20th, 2020, 06:37 AM

You are starting to sound pathetic.

Derby City Duke
May 20th, 2020, 12:29 PM
You are starting to sound pathetic.

Starting?

cx500d
May 20th, 2020, 12:36 PM
Starting?
I was trying to be nice

citdog
May 20th, 2020, 01:54 PM
Starting?

xnodx

citdog
May 20th, 2020, 01:55 PM
I was trying to be nice

Nicer than no one funnier than no one....

cx500d
May 20th, 2020, 02:05 PM
Nicer than no one funnier than no one....
I wasn't trying very hard.

FUBeAR
May 21st, 2020, 03:16 PM
https://www.macon.com/sports/college/mercer-university/article242865406.html

It’s a ‘tough situation,’ but Jim Cole optimistic as Mercer plans for football season

“We’re planning to play football unless somebody tells us otherwise,” Cole said in an interview with The Telegraph, who added those goals are in lockstep with the mission outlined by university president William Underwood.

Cole dedicates a large chunk of his time planning for an altered look inside Five Star Stadium, scheduled to begin Sept. 12 against Western Carolina. His focus remains on optimizing spaced-out seating arrangements for social distancing, exchange of money and tickets, and a safe concession setup based on guidelines set at the state and local levels.”

PaladinFan
May 22nd, 2020, 07:47 AM

It’s a ‘tough situation,’ but Jim Cole optimistic as Mercer plans for football season

“We’re planning to play football unless somebody tells us otherwise,” Cole said in an interview with The Telegraph, who added those goals are in lockstep with the mission outlined by university president William Underwood.

Cole dedicates a large chunk of his time planning for an altered look inside Five Star Stadium, scheduled to begin Sept. 12 against Western Carolina. His focus remains on optimizing spaced-out seating arrangements for social distancing, exchange of money and tickets, and a safe concession setup based on guidelines set at the state and local levels.”

From what I'm reading, it would seem like that for many universities, the failure to have a normal football season will do grave harm to collegiate athletics.

Seems like most schools will press forward regardless given the massive financial implications of not playing.

Mocs123
May 22nd, 2020, 08:30 AM
From what I'm reading, it would seem like that for many universities, the failure to have a normal football season will do grave harm to collegiate athletics.

Seems like most schools will press forward regardless given the massive financial implications of not playing.

That's what I thought about the NCAA BB Tournament too. I thought they might play without fans, but didn't think the NCAA or the Schools would be willing to give up the TV money. With so many people home from work and working from home they would have had the highest ratings ever, especially the early rounds.

cx500d
May 22nd, 2020, 08:33 AM
That's what I thought about the NCAA BB Tournament too. I thought they might play without fans, but didn't think the NCAA or the Schools would be willing to give up the TV money. With so many people home from work and working from home they would have had the highest ratings ever, especially the early rounds.

Lost opportunity...

PaladinFan
May 22nd, 2020, 09:14 AM
Lost opportunity...

I mean, other than the novel viral pandemic, sure.

walliver
May 23rd, 2020, 12:50 PM

I am interested to see how distancing in seating is achieved. It obviously makes no sense for couples and family members living together to be separated from each other, but they should have some distancing between them and other groups.
It will take a genius in the computer science department to figure out an appropriate algorithm.

FUBeAR
May 23rd, 2020, 03:09 PM
I am interested to see how distancing in seating is achieved. It obviously makes no sense for couples and family members living together to be separated from each other, but they should have some distancing between them and other groups.
It will take a genius in the computer science department to figure out an appropriate algorithm.Live Look-in @ SoCon Athletics Departments...

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-7XrraoP7aOs/U8rveZ1lstI/AAAAAAAAJmU/UNEX9VTkEzA/s1600/NASA+scientists+with+their+board+of+calculations,+ 1961.2.jpg

...except Woffy - they all settin’ on the Verandah drankin’ mint juleps waitin’ for Uncle Jerry to tell ‘em where to sit.

Of course, WCU has a different problem - once they socially distance their 2000 band members, there won’t be room for any fans.

...and, well, CIT’s in good shape too; they only have to worry about seating people in 1/2 a stadium

walliver
May 25th, 2020, 11:10 AM
Live Look-in @ SoCon Athletics Departments...

...except Woffy - they all settin’ on the Verandah drankin’ mint juleps waitin’ for Uncle Jerry to tell ‘em where to sit.

Of course, WCU has a different problem - once they socially distance their 2000 band members, there won’t be room for any fans.

...and, well, CIT’s in good shape too; they only have to worry about seating people in 1/2 a stadium

It's Chardonnay and Brie - Mint Juleps are too heavy for a September afternoon game.

PaladinNation
May 26th, 2020, 07:05 AM
Not sure how social distancing will work this season in the SoCon?
Paladin Stadium probably has the best footprint to spread people around.

Last year I wished a smaller, tighter stadium for Furman.
Now a two-sided stadium and lots of room in the end zones and hill areas are looking good.

I'm not an engineer but I can see Furman have the ability to spread out 6K.

Another thought on football > will marching bands not play?

citdog
May 26th, 2020, 07:24 AM

Now a two-sided stadium and lots of room in the end zones and hill areas are looking good.

How many times did vermin draw 6k last season?

PaladinFan
May 26th, 2020, 08:55 AM
How many times did vermin draw 6k last season?

4 of 6 home games. Only fell below that number for ETSU and Point.

walliver
May 26th, 2020, 09:12 AM

I doubt we will see any large bands. The horns and woodwinds involve a lot of air movement - moving a lot of droplets around. I suspect bands will be limited to small stationary pep bands - heavy on the drums with a keyboard or two.

I also suspect cheerleaders will jump around, but not lead any actual cheers.

There may even be new rules limiting tailgating - rules which will likely never be enforced.

FUBeAR
May 27th, 2020, 12:25 AM
Not exactly SoCon, but, perhaps of interest to some readers of this thread...

https://twitter.com/appstatesports/status/1265368625973800962

cx500d
May 27th, 2020, 06:07 AM
Not exactly SoCon, but, perhaps of interest to some readers of this thread...

https://twitter.com/appstatesports/status/1265368625973800962
That’s a lot of men’s sports

PaladinFan
May 27th, 2020, 07:00 AM
This quote jumped out: https://www.journalnow.com/sports/college/asu/appalachian-state-to-cut-mens-soccer-two-other-programs/article_4b543c2f-047a-5134-8f54-6d2de9b1a839.html

Gillin mentioned last month that App State had a plan to schedule more locally throughout all its sports. That thoughtful travel budget, as well as the money saved due to the lack spring sports in 2020, would help. Along with the three cut sports, Gillin announced that vacancies in the athletics department would not be filled, and that other personnel actions were being explored.

App and GSU moved to a conference that stretches geographically from Central Texas to Myrtle Beach. App is at least 280 miles from its nearest conference opponent. Scheduling more "locally" sure sounds a lot like "scheduling more SoCon schools."

walliver
May 27th, 2020, 08:42 AM
This quote jumped out: https://www.journalnow.com/sports/college/asu/appalachian-state-to-cut-mens-soccer-two-other-programs/article_4b543c2f-047a-5134-8f54-6d2de9b1a839.html

[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
App and GSU moved to a conference that stretches geographically from Central Texas to Myrtle Beach. App is at least 280 miles from its nearest conference opponent. Scheduling more "locally" sure sounds a lot like "scheduling more SoCon schools."

Maybe we should start an App State to the Big South thread ;)
These geographically large G5 conferences make absolutely no sense for non-football sports.

ElCid
May 27th, 2020, 03:28 PM
Meanwhile in Charleston...

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/one-citadel-model-for-football-amid-coronavirus-3-000-to-4-000-fans-in-stands/article_3c7696ec-a03d-11ea-bb75-77997030f6ad.html

I told our conference today, we will not be cutting any scholarships and will not be considering cutting any scholarships. Those are two things that are not on our drawing board.

Capaccio said previously that the athletic department would cut budgets by 10 percent across the board, and said Wednesday that also means "eliminating some positions across the board." He did not say now many positions.

Other cost-cutting measures include limiting the number of competitions, scheduling games closer to Charleston, limiting the size of travel squads and eliminating travel for out-of-season sports.

citdog
May 27th, 2020, 04:12 PM
Meanwhile in Charleston...

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/one-citadel-model-for-football-amid-coronavirus-3-000-to-4-000-fans-in-stands/article_3c7696ec-a03d-11ea-bb75-77997030f6ad.html

The Brigadier Club has been raising money that far outstrips the size of the school for decades.

kdinva
May 27th, 2020, 04:51 PM
The Brigadier Club has been raising money that far outstrips the size of the school for decades.

Same in Lex. with the Keydet Club.

FU_Paladin08
May 27th, 2020, 04:53 PM
Title IX compliance relative to male/female enrollment is probably not a factor at Cit either. I haven’t seen many women’s sports on the list of cuts around the country. Not hating on that, but getting within Title IX certainly is a factor when looking at the budgets.

kdinva
May 27th, 2020, 04:55 PM
Title IX compliance..... Not hating on that, but getting within Title IX certainly is a factor when looking at the budgets.

Title 9 has screwed wrestling programs for 20 years. I think there are now 82 D-1 wrestling programs, pretty sure it was at least 130 twenty five years ago. Men's lacrosse hurting, too.

MR. CHICKEN
May 28th, 2020, 09:55 AM
Title IX compliance relative to male/female enrollment is probably not a factor at Cit either. I haven’t seen many women’s sports on the list of cuts around the country. Not hating on that, but getting within Title IX certainly is a factor when looking at the budgets.

......IFIN' GIRLIE CUTS HAPPEN.........CITADEL.....LOSES THREE O-LINERS......2 CORNERS........AN' DUH SHORT SNAPPER...........BRAWK!

citdog
May 28th, 2020, 11:30 AM
......IFIN' GIRLIE CUTS HAPPEN.........CITADEL.....LOSES THREE O-LINERS......2 CORNERS........AN' DUH SHORT SNAPPER...........BRAWK!

https://youtu.be/ethugA-VVk4

MR. CHICKEN
May 28th, 2020, 12:04 PM
http://youtu.be/jREUrbGGrgM?t=21

kdinva
May 28th, 2020, 05:28 PM
For the 2nd consecutive Spring, the Keydets leading receiver for the prior Fall, Jacob Herres, is in transfer portal. :( .....and this one, to me, fails the "sniff test".

Herres is staying in Lex!!!!

https://www.roanoke.com/sports/college/jakob-herres-returning-to-vmi-football-team/article_717f65d6-6546-531e-98c7-65aa2a2e60a1.html

FUBeAR
May 28th, 2020, 06:45 PM
Herres is staying in Lex!!!!

https://www.roanoke.com/sports/college/jakob-herres-returning-to-vmi-football-team/article_717f65d6-6546-531e-98c7-65aa2a2e60a1.html
Good news! I enjoy watching him play.

The Cats
June 23rd, 2020, 08:32 AM
bump

Milktruck74
June 24th, 2020, 07:55 AM
It will take a genius in the computer science department to figure out an appropriate algorithm.

I figure it will somewhat like my daughters HS graduation last week. HEr HS stadium is the one ETSU used before they built on campus. They had only general admission (first come) seating, and used red tape on the seats that people were not supposed to sit in. They had taped off with some 2s and some 4s. The 2s and 4s were generally wide enough to squeeze 3 and 5. IT seemed to work really well until some of the late arriving idiots couldn't find seating they liked so they just stood in the front of someone else. The Stadium seats about 6600 and I'd estimate about 3000 were in the stands.

FUBeAR
June 28th, 2020, 09:54 AM
https://www.postandcourier.com/health/covid19/six-citadel-athletes-including-football-players-test-positive-for-covid-19-workouts-halted/article_3732f936-b8d5-11ea-9cb3-4bd6c0cdd77f.html

Six Citadel athletes, including football players, test positive for COVID-19; workouts halted
Six Citadel athletes have tested positive for COVID-19, and the Bulldogs are halting voluntary summer workouts for football and other sports, a school official said Saturday.
The athletes experienced “mild symptoms” and are being quarantined at home, school spokesman Lt. Col. John Dorrian. said.

The Cats
June 29th, 2020, 10:20 AM
Catamount Football Season-Opener Moved to Thursday Night

Western Carolina's season-opening football game at Eastern Kentucky will now be played in primetime, under the lights on Thursday, Sept. 3, at Roy Kidd Stadium in Richmond, Ky., as officials at EKU today announced the date change. Kickoff between the Catamounts and Colonels is set for 7:00 pm.

The moving of the opener to Thursday night comes after EKU had originally announced an afternoon kickoff on Saturday, Sept. 5. However, the move became necessary after COVID-19 altered the nation's sporting schedule and caused the 146th Kentucky Derby to be rescheduled in the state from the first Saturday in May, prompting EKU's request to move to Thursday evening.

walliver
June 30th, 2020, 12:33 PM
Horses > football.

Them people in Kentucky drinking too many mint juleps.

PaladinFan
June 30th, 2020, 01:00 PM
Horses > football.

Them people in Kentucky drinking too many mint juleps.

horse money > EKU money

Milktruck74
June 30th, 2020, 02:10 PM
horse money > EKU money

TRUE. I lived in Lexington for a few years and Horse money is insane. A friend worked at Lane's End farm and showed me a Stud that earned $650k per jump...and one year had 120 foals stand.....I'm just an old dumb lineman....but that's a bunch more than my fingers and toes....and they had 19 others in that same stud barn!!!! Horse money is Crazy money!!!!

FUBeAR
July 1st, 2020, 07:41 PM
El Cid with a nice video showing off their new artificial turf field and/or their 1/2-a-stadium and/or their 1/2-a-stadium named after a Confederate General; soon to be renamed, most likely. Anyway, nice vid & turf looks good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GAuJy6_0cQ

cx500d
July 1st, 2020, 08:00 PM
El Cid with a nice video showing off their new artificial turf field and/or their 1/2-a-stadium and/or their 1/2-a-stadium named after a Confederate General; soon to be renamed, most likely. Anyway, nice vid & turf looks good.

Half a Faulkner is better then a full Hagood

walliver
July 3rd, 2020, 06:10 PM

Plastic never looks good.

kdinva
July 3rd, 2020, 07:58 PM
Please tell me the ElCid alumni + Corp. sponsors are close to funding the re-construction of the visitors stands, w/at least 5,000 permanent seats...

FUBeAR
July 3rd, 2020, 08:37 PM
Please tell me the ElCid alumni + Corp. sponsors are close to funding the re-construction of the visitors stands, w/at least 5,000 permanent seats...I could tell you that, but I’d be lying. They have presented no definitive timetable to have more than 1/2 a stadium. The most recent announcement I saw is that fund raising for such an effort is still in progress. I believe the former visitors side was demolished over 3 years ago.

citdog
July 3rd, 2020, 09:09 PM
I could tell you that, but I’d be lying. They have presented no definitive timetable to have more than 1/2 a stadium. The most recent announcement I saw is that fund raising for such an effort is still in progress. I believe the former visitors side was demolished over 3 years ago.

Perhaps we can buy some stands from the furman baseball stadium.

ElCid
July 3rd, 2020, 09:16 PM
Please tell me the ElCid alumni + Corp. sponsors are close to funding the re-construction of the visitors stands, w/at least 5,000 permanent seats...

I hope so, but best they do a good job that takes a little longer than to do a crappy job in a rush.

FUBeAR
July 3rd, 2020, 10:33 PM
Perhaps we can borrow some stands from Charleston SouthernFYP

citdog
July 3rd, 2020, 11:21 PM
FYP

Nah I’d rather buy some from y’all. Your baseball team won’t be using them again. Ever.

FUBeAR
July 3rd, 2020, 11:45 PM
Nah I’d rather buy some from y’all. Your baseball team won’t be using them again. Ever.

https://www.anygivensaturday.com/new_logo_2.png

Maybe you were looking for this site: https://sportshoop.la/forums/college-baseball-forum.106/

PaladinNation
July 4th, 2020, 06:59 AM
Not much good news or maybe I should say there is a lack of any news.
A post about what our schools still have going on… recruiting.

I've been curious about recruiting how will virtual recruiting go and will it be different?
Glad to see Furman is again starting out fast and strong recruiting for the 2021 class…
As of last night Furman's up to three commits.

Tommy Beuglas was the first to commit…
a 6-1 225 LB, from Buford, Ga choose Furman over 20 other schools including Maryland.
This makes it two years in a row that Furman lands the MLB from Georgia's top AAAAA high school.

Devin duCille, another Georgia product from Denmark, HS is a 5-11 220 RB. Missed all of his junior season (knee). Expectations are big for this big back if he gets to play football this season. And, Furman has great luck with backs who's first name starts with a D!

and last night rumors were confirmed, Furman’s commitment to recruiting Texas is paying off Jayce Wilson a QB from Del Valle TX committed. Jace is an undersized (5-10) fast, athletic, gun slinger.

I firmly believe the SoCon has to continue to step up its recruiting. We will see if this translates to competing better against OOC competition.

Tommy Beuglas >
https://twitter.com/kashoutTTT/status/1255316355794026498

Devin duCille >
https://twitter.com/DevinduCille/status/961360376150577158

Jace Wilson >
https://twitter.com/jaceHollywood16/status/1246605167346290688

PaladinFan
July 4th, 2020, 07:22 AM
Wilson is an interesting pickup for Furman. He's on the smaller side - 5'11/175 - and is a different type of player from what I've seen Furman recruit in the past.

Furman offered him back in February. I imagine that if Furman offers a Texas QB a scholarship early in the process, they are pretty sure he can play.

walliver
July 5th, 2020, 12:27 AM
2021 recruiting will be interesting. Especially if the 2020 high school season isn't played.

Wofford has picked up a few for 2021.

Unfortunately, it appears that many athletes may not have an opportunity to display their talents this fall.

PaladinFan
July 5th, 2020, 09:48 AM
Athlon takes a stab at 2020 playoff qualifiers. https://athlonsports.com/college-football/fcs-football-projected-playoff-qualifiers-2020

Has Furman as the auto and Citadel at large.

PaladinFan
July 5th, 2020, 09:56 AM
2021 recruiting will be interesting. Especially if the 2020 high school season isn't played.

Wofford has picked up a few for 2021.

Unfortunately, it appears that many athletes may not have an opportunity to display their talents this fall.

You know, it may end up to the benefit of smaller schools. Furman, for instance, has targeted a lot of these players anyway.

The Paladins have had a number of recruits (I assume this is similar to other smaller programs) that have missed time in high school and could be overlooked.

This is sort of program dependent, too. Furman finally (after about 10+ years) appears to have a legitimate depth chart where true freshmen are not thrust into starting jobs day one. If your program can afford to take a small risk on a guy with injury history and let him sit, then you may get a solid player.

UpstateBison
July 5th, 2020, 01:42 PM
You know, it may end up to the benefit of smaller schools. Furman, for instance, has targeted a lot of these players anyway.

The Paladins have had a number of recruits (I assume this is similar to other smaller programs) that have missed time in high school and could be overlooked.

This is sort of program dependent, too. Furman finally (after about 10+ years) appears to have a legitimate depth chart where true freshmen are not thrust into starting jobs day one. If your program can afford to take a small risk on a guy with injury history and let him sit, then you may get a solid player.

The lack of summer camps has had an impact on recruiting for the FCS. You still have junior tape but, if the 2020 high school season is impacted, it will be very interesting.

NDSU took a chance on a guy named Jabril Cox after a knee injury his junior year. It worked out pretty welll.

Good to see Furman building depth. The FCS is better when the SoCon teams are a legitimate playoff contender.

citdog
July 5th, 2020, 01:58 PM
The lack of summer camps has had an impact on recruiting for the FCS. You still have junior tape but, if the 2020 high school season is impacted, it will be very interesting.

NDSU took a chance on a guy named Jabril Cox after a knee injury his junior year. It worked out pretty welll.

Good to see Furman building depth. The FCS is better when the SoCon teams are a legitimate playoff contender.

furman sucks

’20 is the Year of The Citadel Bulldogs.

PaladinNation
July 5th, 2020, 05:52 PM
[QUOTE=UpstateBison;2894383]The lack of summer camps has had an impact on recruiting for the FCS. You still have junior tape but, if the 2020 high school season is impacted, it will be very interesting.

Cox is a helluva player… Furman's arguably top incoming freshman Evan DiMaggio also a linebacker, broke his ankle in the first game of his senior season. He did come back for the playoffs and led Buford to a state championship and then won the state heavyweight wrestling title. I don't think the Furman coaches would consider DiMaggio a risk at all. I can't help but wonder if DiMaggio had played his entire senior season would more enticing offers have come? Not that UCF, Colorado State, Nevada, Cincy, and Air Force aren't solid offers.

A little deeper digging, Furman has several players that had major injuries in High School. Darren Grainger had a terrible auto accident his junior year and Luke Shiflett was having a heck of senior season getting ACC interest until breaking his ankle.

cx500d
July 5th, 2020, 06:28 PM
furman sucks

Sure thing, Cittowndogs

PaladinFan
July 6th, 2020, 06:38 AM

I think this happens quite frequently and probably more often than most fans would notice. Often smaller programs (NDSU included) have to find a guy with some red flags that may fly under the radar.

Requires programs to do their homework, know the kids, and have a good relationship with the coaches.

Mocs123
July 6th, 2020, 01:20 PM
I thought this picture was showing The Citadel's home side stands to the left and Charleston Southern's home side stands to the right!

https://youtu.be/6GAuJy6_0cQ

Mocs123
July 6th, 2020, 01:27 PM
If your program can afford to take a small risk on a guy with injury history and let him sit, then you may get a solid player.

We did that with both Davis Tull and Keionta Davis and it worked out well for the Mocs. Both had significant knee injuries their senior year and neither had another D1 offer.

Mocs123
July 6th, 2020, 01:30 PM
furman sucks

The way 2020 has gone so far I'm expecting UNCG to win the SoCon football championship!

Milktruck74
July 6th, 2020, 02:28 PM
The way 2020 has gone so far I'm expecting UNCG to win the SoCon football championship!

If they do, it'll be because their MBB coach took the lead and the officials were just too wore out to argue with that whiny little B;+c# and gave them all the calls.

PaladinFan
July 7th, 2020, 12:26 PM
What are one player on offense and defense that may not be a "household name" that each team can expect to be guy to watch out for in 2020?

Two thoughts for Furman:

Defense: DT London Lewis.

Lewis has missed some time with injury, but was a highly sought after recruit and has only recently started to see some quality playing time and started later in the season. He is a big hombre and, at 6'4 290, stands out in an FCS game. From limited times watching him, he can be a handful for an offense, especially when playing on the same side of the ball as Adrian Hope, a guy that almost demands a double team every snap. If he stays healthy, he could be a monster out there.

Offense: WR Dejuan Bell

Bell missed most of 2019 and has primarily been used as a kick returner during his time (where he was arguably the SoCon's best in 2018). With Thomas Gordon graduated, there seems to be a lot of playing time open to the diminutive speedster. Those that watch him in practice comment that he can catch anything thrown in his general direction (a nice feature given Furman's QB situation). We've seen him house some kick returns, and 2020 is probably the season he shows what he can do as a wideout.

Milktruck74
July 7th, 2020, 02:24 PM
Offense:

Chris James, TE. Chris was a backup QB behind Tiano, and was too good of an athlete to not be on the field, so in his senior season he converted to TE and had a stellar year. He was granted a medical 6th and he is going to play a big role in the offense this season.

Defense:

Devonsha Maxwell DT is the obvious choice here, but that kid is probably already a household name.....so I'll pick a different one

Jay Pearson LB Sophmore that grew leaps and bounds last year...he got better and better every game, and closed out 2019 with 9 stops and a forced fumble (off the bench) vs Citadel. If he improves as much this offseason as he did during the season last year, LOOKOUT SOCON!!!

walliver
July 8th, 2020, 09:56 AM
During the 1918 Spanish Flu Pandemic, Wofford, Furman, and The Citadel played shortened seasons in the SIAA. Furman went 3-5-1 (1-3), Citadel went 0-2-1 (0-1-1), and Wofford a disappointing 0-3 (0-2). BTW Georgia Tech was conference champion at 6-1 (3-0).

Wofford has losses to Erskine, South Carolina and Furman and never scored that year.

Apparently Furman lost to Georgia Tech 118-0. https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/furman/1918-schedule.html

FUBeAR
July 8th, 2020, 05:49 PM
Hmmm....looks like the Bears are excited about taking on the consensus pre-season FCS National Champions in Maconga this season...

https://twitter.com/mercerfootball/status/1280902105168064512

PaladinFan
July 9th, 2020, 06:51 AM
Looks like Devezin opted to stay at Mercer. That's good news for the Bears.

gofurman
July 13th, 2020, 10:30 PM
[QUOTE=UpstateBison;2894383]The lack of summer camps has had an impact on recruiting for the FCS. You still have junior tape but, if the 2020 high school season is impacted, it will be very interesting.

------------------------------

Cox is a helluva player… Furman's arguably top incoming freshman Evan DiMaggio also a linebacker, broke his ankle in the first game of his senior season. He did come back for the playoffs and led Buford to a state championship and then won the state heavyweight wrestling title. I don't think the Furman coaches would consider DiMaggio a risk at all. I can't help but wonder if DiMaggio had played his entire senior season would more enticing offers have come? Not that UCF, Colorado State, Nevada, Cincy, and Air Force aren't solid offers.

A little deeper digging, Furman has several players that had major injuries in High School. Darren Grainger had a terrible auto accident his junior year and Luke Shiflett was having a heck of senior season getting ACC interest until breaking his ankle.

--------------------------------

I can only HOPE one of our guys sniffs the level of Jabril Cox - dude is a beast. LSU hasn't come calling for our guys LBs yet. (though Orlando Ruff from Furman was probably as good as he was in the NFL 5 or 6 years)

I do REALLY REALLY hate to see the Furman kicker leave for UNC (he may play pro) and Cox leave for LSU - it reeks of minor league baseball junk.. and is a trend that concerns me. What if every guy that FCS stuck with (injury in high school what have you) and the FBS programs wouldn't touch coming out of HS.. then leaves for FBS as soon as they "re-prove" themselves in FCS. I don't like that at all. If FBS didn't want you coming out of high school then screw em.

PaladinNation
July 14th, 2020, 05:45 AM
Atkins leaving Furman for UNC is a bit of an outlier… Atkins is a rising true senior, graduated Furman at the end of his junior year and wanted another degree. UNC offered what he wanted and I can't blame him.

The flip side of this is Furman currently has six players that left FBS schools to transfer in right away…
Jake Walker - Air Force Prep
Carson Maples - Air Force
Braedon Domino - Air Force Prep
Clark Daniel - Air Force
Luke Shiflett - MTSU
Noah Henderson - Charlotte

The above list is pretty impressive; Walker starts, Maples could be a starter depends on concussion issues, Domino will play a role in some defensive packages, Daniels played a lot last season… Shiflett and Henderson are both three-star high schoolers and should be instant contributors.

Concerning kicker - it does speak to Atkins ability. Furman is bringing in a punter, and a kicker that was originally a U of Miami commitment.
Furman's incoming kicker is an interesting story…

https://twitter.com/AxelLepvreau/status/1273364937566498816

OL FU
July 18th, 2020, 07:43 PM
Apparently Furman lost to Georgia Tech 118-0. https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/furman/1918-schedule.html

Yeah I remember that gamexbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingxxbawlingx

Milktruck74
July 20th, 2020, 07:26 PM
Atkins leaving Furman for UNC is a bit of an outlier… Atkins is a rising true senior, graduated Furman at the end of his junior year and wanted another degree. UNC offered what he wanted and I can't blame him.

The flip side of this is Furman currently has six players that left FBS schools to transfer in right away…
Jake Walker - Air Force Prep
Carson Maples - Air Force
Braedon Domino - Air Force Prep
Clark Daniel - Air Force
Luke Shiflett - MTSU
Noah Henderson - Charlotte

The above list is pretty impressive; Walker starts, Maples could be a starter depends on concussion issues, Domino will play a role in some defensive packages, Daniels played a lot last season… Shiflett and Henderson are both three-star high schoolers and should be instant contributors.

Concerning kicker - it does speak to Atkins ability. Furman is bringing in a punter, and a kicker that was originally a U of Miami commitment.
Furman's incoming kicker is an interesting story…

https://twitter.com/AxelLepvreau/status/1273364937566498816

Solid crop of kids, but I'm not sure I'd call Air Force Prep an FBS transfer....it is the 13th grade.

Milktruck74
July 20th, 2020, 07:27 PM
Look at what the HS athletic associations in SoCon footprint have done.

Alabama (Samford) - short delay to the fall season.
Georgia (Mercer) - Short delay to the fall season.
South Carolina - (Furman, Wofford, Citadel) - short delay to the fall season.
North Carolina - (Western Carolina) - Short delay to the fall season.
Virginia - (VMI) - No Fall Sports
Tennessee - (ETSU, UTC) - ???? All indications are they will follow AL&GA and start Sept 1.....We will know on Wednesday.

Basically every HS team in the footprint except Virginia will be playing on Friday nights, we should see games on Saturday....but who knows!!!!

PaladinFan
July 21st, 2020, 07:40 AM
Furman's football team reported yesterday. So, there's that.

SU DOG
July 23rd, 2020, 01:01 PM
I'm sure Samford's protocol isn't very, if any, different than other SoCon schools'. Here is a link to what the school has said thus far, as athletes return tomorrow. If accurate, however, to get tested one day and get results the next seems rather optimistic, especially given the peak numbers that this state is unfortunately experiencing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJxxCJKfpUo

Milktruck74
July 23rd, 2020, 06:53 PM
THere are test out there that give results in less than 10 mins......now, how much do they cost? Samford can probably afford it!!!! and what is the accuracy????? hahah but you get results fast!!!!

PaladinFan
July 24th, 2020, 07:00 AM
My experience with "protocols" is that it is quite easy to produce manuals on social distance, washing hands, and quarantining within the CDC guidelines.

What is always less clear is what happens when a participant tests positive a day or two after team activities. Do you test the whole team? What if that happens two days before a game?

The issue I found into a brief attempt to restart a little league baseball season is that the protocols only go so far as "buy in." If everyone is not completely committed to the protocols, you might as well not have them.

walliver
July 24th, 2020, 03:57 PM
Little league is problematic as the kids all live at home with their families.
College football should be easier as the kids are all on campus in a potentially controlled environment. It does become much harder once the other students arrive.

As it is, most teams now are looking at 8 or 9 game schedules. Most, if not all money games will go away.

I also wonder if the SoCon follows the CAA model and lets individual teams do their own thing without an official champion.

I suspect SoCon teams will play reduced schedules. I also predict that there will be no FCS championship this year.

PaladinFan
July 25th, 2020, 09:33 PM
Little league is problematic as the kids all live at home with their families.
College football should be easier as the kids are all on campus in a potentially controlled environment. It does become much harder once the other students arrive.

As it is, most teams now are looking at 8 or 9 game schedules. Most, if not all money games will go away.

I also wonder if the SoCon follows the CAA model and lets individual teams do their own thing without an official champion.

I suspect SoCon teams will play reduced schedules. I also predict that there will be no FCS championship this year.

I think about this with Furman. The athletes are not meaningfully isolated. They do not have special dorms or dining halls or separate classes. They are mixed in with the student body general. I assume that is the case for most smaller schools.

At a place like Furman, the campus can be somewhat quarantined - virtually every student lives on campus, it has gates and limited access if it wants. The downside with that arrangement is that if the virus finds its way on to campus, it'll probably spread like wildfire amongst the entire student body.

Smitty
July 27th, 2020, 06:56 AM
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-s9ZdJjYVlWI/XxiuRB_OlTI/AAAAAAAAGBc/i-ESmeOas9kGTySDXTHPl4mSs6syDxcaQCLcBGAsYHQ/s640/turf.JPG

Western's turf replacement is almost complete.

I am hoping this makes watching the broadcast a little better. Not the football part as we all know that will be bad.

PaladinFan
July 27th, 2020, 11:25 AM
Looks good!

PaladinNation
July 27th, 2020, 11:34 AM
https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1287708825286574081

SU DOG
July 27th, 2020, 11:37 AM
Long overdue, but what a great difference. Glad that washed-out look is gone. Congrats!

Derby City Duke
July 27th, 2020, 11:49 AM
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-s9ZdJjYVlWI/XxiuRB_OlTI/AAAAAAAAGBc/i-ESmeOas9kGTySDXTHPl4mSs6syDxcaQCLcBGAsYHQ/s640/turf.JPG

I am hoping this makes watching the broadcast a little better. Not the football part as we all know that will be bad.

Sharp!

walliver
July 27th, 2020, 01:14 PM

The problem watching Western's football telecast is the camera operators inability to hold a camera steady - I hope that is fixed, also.

PaladinFan
July 27th, 2020, 04:13 PM
The problem watching Western's football telecast is the camera operators inability to hold a camera steady - I hope that is fixed, also.

I've always find that they struggle to keep up with Furman's running backs moving up and down the field.

The Cats
July 30th, 2020, 06:46 AM
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-J7hy6duAdPU/XyKyXnAXaVI/AAAAAAAAGCk/F_TbKQ6xE-4DxSicKp7jXL2K7N9O6YHMwCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/turf.jpg

cx500d
July 30th, 2020, 01:20 PM
I've always find that they struggle to keep up with Furman's running backs moving up and down the field.

They probably need to grease the bearings on the camera swivel mount before each game, and top off after the game.

PaladinFan
July 31st, 2020, 06:19 AM
Not sure what the SEC announcement will do for the SoCon.

In my opinion, I think the SoCon has to play the same card - a conference only schedule. Without the "money" games, I would think there is less appetite for playing the typical non conference schedules.

Furman may not want to pay Presbyterian to come to Greenville or incur the expense of traveling to play CSU. Wofford already has a game against SCSU suspended, and now no game against USC, leaving only GWU.

Maybe a SoCon model + 1 as teams try to land "local" games makes sense. 8 SoCon games plus a nearby opponent.

Milktruck74
July 31st, 2020, 08:41 AM
In spite of the CAA shutting down conference play, JMU and (I think) Elon are trying to play a season....maybe they can dip into the SoCon like ND did with the ACC???

PaladinFan
July 31st, 2020, 10:01 AM
In spite of the CAA shutting down conference play, JMU and (I think) Elon are trying to play a season....maybe they can dip into the SoCon like ND did with the ACC???

That'd be interesting - 10 game season with Elon and James Madison playing a SoCon schedule.

blueGOldMOCS
July 31st, 2020, 10:59 AM
That'd be interesting - 10 game season with Elon and James Madison playing a SoCon schedule.

That would actually be kind of fun having them in the SoCon for a year.

ETSUfan1
July 31st, 2020, 11:13 AM
Make it so.

walliver
July 31st, 2020, 04:53 PM
Apparently (according to Twitter posts), some SoCon schools don’t want to play this fall. A decision was supposed to be made this week, but has been put off until next week.

PaladinFan
July 31st, 2020, 05:45 PM
Apparently (according to Twitter posts), some SoCon schools don’t want to play this fall. A decision was supposed to be made this week, but has been put off until next week.

For me, I'm watching what is going on in Major League Baseball right now and don't see anyway playing college football won't be a disaster.

PaladinNation
July 31st, 2020, 06:58 PM

Clay Hendrix did an interview on ESPN Upstate Radio - he wants to play in the fall. I can't see Wofford and The Citadel not wanting to play. I'm curious which schools don't want to play?

blueGOldMOCS
July 31st, 2020, 07:43 PM
I would also like to know who is thinking about not playing.

kdinva
July 31st, 2020, 08:47 PM
Clay Hendrix did an interview on ESPN Upstate Radio - he wants to play in the fall. I can't see Wofford and The Citadel not wanting to play. I'm curious which schools don't want to play?

Ain't the Keydets......full squad reports Tuesday.

blueGOldMOCS
August 1st, 2020, 05:32 AM
Who do you think are leaning toward playing and who are leaning more toward not playing this season?

PaladinNation
August 1st, 2020, 05:56 AM
FU AD looking to compete (filling the spot of the TN game)
https://twitter.com/MarcWYFFNews4/status/1289407772174348292

FUBeAR
August 1st, 2020, 11:09 AM
FU AD looking to compete (filling the spot of the TN game)
https://twitter.com/MarcWYFFNews4/status/1289407772174348292
6 “Opportunity’s” in 36 seconds. Man means it when he says OPPORTUNITY. He’s ALL-IN!

PaladinFan
August 1st, 2020, 01:27 PM
He also said "be prepared to play" and "have our campus prepared to host games."

None of that says total confidence we'll be playing football. It says that he doesn't know if they'll play football, but they'll be ready in the event they do.

Milktruck74
August 2nd, 2020, 11:26 AM
The Mocs are all on campus (70 or so have been since late June) and ready to go. So I don't think it is us....In looking at the HS AAs, Every state in the footprint except Virginia is playing this fall with a minimal delay (1 or 2 weeks)....I thought that would lean towards VMI wanting to postpone, but apparently KDinVA thinks they are ready to roll in Lexington.

Milktruck74
August 2nd, 2020, 11:30 AM
Of course, we all have to consider our HCs public statement vs our ADs vote on teh closed conference call with the commissioner...they may not be in full alignment. And does the conference press on if it is one school? I think so, but two or three completely change things....

PaladinFan
August 2nd, 2020, 12:44 PM
The Mocs are all on campus (70 or so have been since late June) and ready to go. So I don't think it is us....In looking at the HS AAs, Every state in the footprint except Virginia is playing this fall with a minimal delay (1 or 2 weeks)....I thought that would lean towards VMI wanting to postpone, but apparently KDinVA thinks they are ready to roll in Lexington.

I think all football coaches would probably say "let's play." While I know all teams are probably on campus and getting ready for the season, I still think that we will see in the next few days whether that is a reality.

In my opinion, decisions have to be made by those that are the least emotionally tied to the outcome.

FUBeAR
August 3rd, 2020, 11:47 AM
Mercer picks up a much needed (only 4...um, make that 3...on roster before this) WR Transfer, with good size (6-2 & a Reg Champ HS High Jumper / Sprinter), from UGa.

Impressive HS stats coming out of a solid Greater Atlanta Christian program. Offers from 5 Ivies, Army, Fordham, Holy Cross, and Lafayette, before he decided to accept Georgia’s PWO offer.

https://twitter.com/wr_james/status/1290298060849864704

Sr. Year HS Stats (2018)
- 49 Receptions
- 1145 Yards *New School Record*
- 13 Touchdowns
- 23.4 Yards Per Catch

PaladinFan
August 4th, 2020, 05:02 AM
Having only 4 WRs on roster sounds like the Taylor County teams I used to play back in the days before they discovered the forward pass.

FUBeAR
August 4th, 2020, 07:41 AM
Having only 4 WRs on roster sounds like the Taylor County teams I used to play back in the days before they discovered the forward pass.
Well...to be fair...they do have 8 “Jokers” on the roster also. This appears to be a combination of some of the WR’s & smaller RB’s from last year’s roster, along with 2 FR that probably fell into the “ATH” category as Recruits. So, I suspect the “Joker” position is one of those hybrid WR/RB positions of which you are quite fond, as is FUBeAR, who prefers the “Baller” position name he gave this kind of role in an O he once designed for a HS Team. “Joker,” though, in the context of the Joker being a wildcard is actually quite an apt name though.

BTW - I didn’t know the forward pass was legal in the 6-man football rules your HS Teams played under.

PaladinFan
August 4th, 2020, 08:19 AM
Well...to be fair...they do have 8 “Jokers” on the roster also. This appears to be a combination of some of the WR’s & smaller RB’s from last year’s roster, along with 2 FR that probably fell into the “ATH” category as Recruits. So, I suspect the “Joker” position is one of those hybrid WR/RB positions of which you are quite fond, as is FUBeAR, who prefers the “Baller” position name he gave this kind of role in an O he once designed for a HS Team. “Joker,” though, in the context of the Joker being a wildcard is actually quite an apt name though.

BTW - I didn’t know the forward pass was legal in the 6-man football rules your HS Teams played under.

Watched a bit of Lenoir Rhyne's offense from last year - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0WwgRwS1mw

Most of the time, LR has 1 WR, 1 TE, 3 RBs in the formation. One of the two wingbacks appears to consistently set up further in the backfield and further off tackle than the other. He is typically the one going in motion. I assume he is the "Joker" and, in that offense, probably the primary receiving threat.

No six man football in those days. South Georgia county prison rules 11 man football.

The Cats
August 4th, 2020, 09:32 AM
https://twitter.com/BrianMacWriter/status/1290644083015389193

FUBeAR
August 4th, 2020, 03:52 PM
https://twitter.com/merceryou/status/1290626071222779907

Pretty cool. HBD Pappy!

Reign of Terrier
August 5th, 2020, 07:11 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Wofford is one of the schools that don't want to play. Losing the UofSC game and the SC State game puts us down 2 games. On top of that, I'm not even sure if Wofford's reported to camp, so there may be a preparation problem. I remember a few months ago Muschamp said he needed x amount of days to prep for UofSC's season and I imagine Conklin thinks similarly.

The Cats
August 5th, 2020, 09:01 PM
Western Carolina football returned to the practice field for the first time since the conclusion of the 2019 season on Wednesday morning to officially open preseason preparations for the 2020 campaign.

Practicing without helmets, the Catamounts worked out in four different groupings to adhere to North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper's Phase Two reopening guidelines that restrict outdoor gathers to 25-or-fewer individuals. The Catamounts practiced between two locations – the offensive unit groupings on the new turf while the defense took to the natural grass practice field across Cullowhee Creek in the shadow of Camp Lab Gymnasium – with each session lasting an hour. All four of the groups were staggered in start times to allow for proper daily screening, provide ample time between the use of the locker room facilities, and to keep with the allowable numbers in the gathering.

Players and coaches alike were visibly ecstatic to open the preseason fall camp on Wednesday morning as energy and enthusiasm abounded. Though the typical 25 days of preseason camp – also altered this year by the COVID-19 pandemic – are always important, this year's time leading up to the beginning of classes (Aug. 17) and the Thursday night season-opener at Eastern Kentucky (Sept. 3) have a heightened value since the Catamounts were not able to conduct spring drills because of the COVID-19 pandemic shutdown.

https://catamountsports.com/images/2020/8/5/FallCamp_Practice1_FRONT.jpg?width=1416&height=797&mode=crop&format=jpg&quality=80

Bisonoline
August 5th, 2020, 09:04 PM
https://twitter.com/merceryou/status/1290626071222779907

Pretty cool. HBD Pappy!

Cool pics

FUBeAR
August 5th, 2020, 09:04 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Wofford is one of the schools that don't want to play. Losing the UofSC game and the SC State game puts us down 2 games. On top of that, I'm not even sure if Wofford's reported to camp, so there may be a preparation problem. I remember a few months ago Muschamp said he needed x amount of days to prep for UofSC's season and I imagine Conklin thinks similarly.hmmm...Preparation issue, huh?

Who does Wofford open with that you are clearly laying groundwork for...the “disproportionately affected by Covid” excuse, in case of loss?

Reign of Terrier
August 6th, 2020, 09:26 AM
hmmm...Preparation issue, huh?

Who does Wofford open with that you are clearly laying groundwork for...the “disproportionately affected by Covid” excuse, in case of loss?

No one we haven't had trouble smacking down last season

FUBeAR
August 6th, 2020, 11:33 AM
No one we haven't had trouble smacking down last season
OK - so, not SCSt then. Kinda knew that since they aren’t playing. And, not Samford. Of course, it was debatable if Woffy even showed up for the 2 openers last year. So, I see your fear about Conklin being able to prepare a Team for early games. Hey - maybe he’ll roll out the new Woffy A-11 Offense in this year’s opening game. That’ll do the trick!

SU DOG
August 6th, 2020, 12:14 PM
Well, Samford got a good break. Today we learned that FSU intends to play our Dogs and pay the $450,000 check we so desperately need. Even with this, however, I have no clue as to how the school will vote on the pertinent issue.

SU DOG
August 6th, 2020, 12:34 PM
Anyone who thinks it's now a done deal for Samford to vote YES, should be informed that the estimated cost of the needed testing is(according to one source) approximately $400,000. This would essentially wipe out the FSU money. It is easy to see why playing this season would be such a hardship on most FCS schools.

FUBeAR
August 6th, 2020, 12:43 PM
Anyone who thinks it's now a done deal for Samford to vote YES, should be informed that the estimated cost of the needed testing is(according to one source) approximately $400,000. This would essentially wipe out the FSU money. It is easy to see why playing this season would be such a hardship on most FCS schools.
If that estimate is correct, ain’t no FCS Team w/o a money game going to want to play, other than NDSU & JMU...maybe.

Can you ID the “one source?” - nevermind, I see it...https://www.inforum.com/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/football/6604795-McFeely-With-cunning-NCAA-makes-FCS-playoffs-a-near-impossibility

walliver
August 6th, 2020, 01:11 PM
Wofford did complete Spring training, so the new offense should already be in place. On Twitter, Conchlin seems to be lobbying to play.

I could see the bean counters looking for an excuse not to play.

The Terrier Club has mauled me my bumper stickers but no tickets. Since the tickets are scannable cards there’s no reason they couldn’t be sent out.

SU DOG
August 6th, 2020, 04:12 PM
Interesting, and maybe telling comments from UTC's AD.

https://www.espnchattanooga.com/2020/08/06/press-row-podcast-8-6-utc-ad-mark-wharton-talks-possibility-of-socon-football/?fbclid=IwAR23KndkU73KOnQKqaNaql6Ieqo4EvUcYnN4WXPc YU2MPofgnZ750_7Zt94

kdinva
August 7th, 2020, 12:51 PM
Charleston Paper reports that A-back Alex Ramsey and Off. Lineman Tyrell earl have said "no" to the 2020 season......may come back in January...

https://www.postandcourier.com/health/covid19/all-american-running-back-among-2-citadel-players-opting-out-of-football-season/article_5fec6886-d8c3-11ea-acfe-7fc9c605cb55.html

Milktruck74
August 7th, 2020, 04:14 PM
Jeff Hartsell reported that Citadelle had 34 no shows for the first day of scheduled practice today.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 7th, 2020, 04:16 PM
Jeff Hartsell reported that Citadelle had 34 no shows for the first day of scheduled practice today.

Holy smokes.

Milktruck74
August 7th, 2020, 04:17 PM
Coach Wright takes to twitter to find teams to play.

Wanted: Football games. In-Conf/Out of Conf/FCS/G5/P5 doesn’t matter. Have team, will travel. DM me. #GoMocs (https://twitter.com/hashtag/GoMocs?src=hashtag_click) #myguyswanttoplay (https://twitter.com/hashtag/myguyswanttoplay?src=hashtag_click)

(https://twitter.com/CoachRustyW/status/1291532550813483009/photo/1)

https://twitter.com/CoachRustyW/status/1291532550813483009

Reign of Terrier
August 10th, 2020, 07:29 AM
There is no point in having a season with the FCS playoffs and multiple money games canceled. At this point, it's just a risk to the athletes' health. If there is a spring season (who knows???) schools that play now may be DQed from playing.

Delay the season!

Mocs123
August 10th, 2020, 07:52 AM
I've been hoping we could have a fall season, and am still hoping that. As more and more teams cancel or postpone seasons, that looks less and less likely though. Is a spring season really feasible? What would have to happen to make it doable?

I think it would be complicated to make it work, but I think it would be less complicated than canceling the 2020 season all together. With a short turnaround between a possible spring 2021 season and a fall 2021 season, depth may be an issue for FCS teams.

I think the p5 will play this fall, even if they do so without fans in the stands, due to the TV money.

walliver
August 10th, 2020, 09:03 AM
if a spring season is played, it will be a shortened season (4-6 games) with no playoffs. It is not feasible for schools to play 22-30 games in a 12 month period - football just doesn't work that way (If it did, the NFL would already do that).

The NCAA needs to stop kicking the can down the road and establish rules this week concerning eligibility/redshirt years, can teams play in fall and spring, what happens if play starts and is stopped after a few weeks., etc.

The NBA has shown that sports can be played if managed properly, MLB has shown it can be a disaster if mismanaged. Currently the NCAA seems set to out-do MLB.

Catamount87
August 10th, 2020, 12:17 PM
Now that the Big 10 has canceled, I think the domino effect will play out over the next few days. I guess the good news will be there will be a lot more weekends this fall for me to get my lawn and yard revamp project done.

walliver
August 10th, 2020, 02:55 PM

As I understand it, the problem is that many players are waiting for their pre-camp COVID tests to come back. Players are not allowed on campus until the tests come back negative, and in many parts of the country, it is taking a long time to get the results back.

Wofford has a few waiting for their tests to come back negative, but a lot less than 34.

Mocs123
August 10th, 2020, 03:00 PM
When is the SoCon meeting this week?

FUBeAR
August 10th, 2020, 03:33 PM
As I understand it, the problem is that many players are waiting for their pre-camp COVID tests to come back. Players are not allowed on campus until the tests come back negative, and in many parts of the country, it is taking a long time to get the results back.

Wofford has a few waiting for their tests to come back negative, but a lot less than 34.I heard TerrierFans.com is the portal Woffy is using to manage their testing program / communications. Yes?

PaladinNation
August 10th, 2020, 06:10 PM
Furman had players report a little over two weeks ago now - out of 150 tested (players, coaches, trainers) 6 tested positive. The DINS appeared to use the last several weeks on strength and conditioning and getting everyone tested negative.

They've now had three practices - I don't know for sure - but based on interviews my guess is all the players are participating in practice now.

Also based on interviews the players and coaches want to play…

https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1292861812657004548
https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1292467970124517376
https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1292871112129486854

my favorite vid so far… the one-hand catch at the .07 mark by incoming freshman tailback Kendall Thomas.
https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1292094517886296071

Mocs123
August 10th, 2020, 06:54 PM
Would Furman consider playing as an independent if the SoCon didn't have a season?

PaladinNation
August 10th, 2020, 08:53 PM
Would Furman consider playing as an independent if the SoCon didn't have a season?

Lots of rumors floating around. Like Furman's looking for at least two FBS matchups. I would not mind 3 fall OOC games, and a SoCon slate in the spring.
If the Sun belt is a go - that leaves a lot of possibilites for Furman. APP, GaSo, come to mind. If the Citadel doesn't get its house in order - Furman/Clemson or Furman/UNC is a no-brainer.

My dream would be two money games and a neutral site matchup against an FCS top five school - NDSU or Montana St. A guy can dream can't he?

Back to this Furman team - I see a little twinkle in CCH's eye - I think he's liking what he sees in his team so far.

The Cats
August 10th, 2020, 09:47 PM
Noland says sports ‘virtually impossible’ at ETSU this fall

www.johnsoncitypress.com/sports/noland-says-sports-virtually-impossible-at-etsu-this-fall/article_09a0676a-db4e-11ea-944c-7379b7f633b1.html (https://www.johnsoncitypress.com/sports/noland-says-sports-virtually-impossible-at-etsu-this-fall/article_09a0676a-db4e-11ea-944c-7379b7f633b1.html)

It appears as though there won’t be any football — or any other sports — at East Tennessee State this fall.

While the Southern Conference has yet to announce its plans for fall sports, ETSU President Brian Noland said Monday that he thought it would be “virtually impossible” for his school to take part in any athletic competitions this fall and that all sports would likely be moved to the spring.

The presidents of the Southern Conference schools are expected to meet again Thursday to try to come up with a plan for fall athletics in the midst of the novel coronavirus pandemic.

PaladinNation
August 11th, 2020, 07:19 AM
anyone know which teams are practicing now in the SoCon?

Furman is who else?

walliver
August 11th, 2020, 07:25 AM
anyone know which teams are practicing now in the SoCon?

Furman is who else?
Wofford, Chatty, VMI and the Citadel are working out. I believe Mercer and Sammy are moving forward, as is WCU.

Mocs123
August 11th, 2020, 07:41 AM
Chattanooga is practicing. Hopefully we have someone to play in a month.

Catamount87
August 11th, 2020, 07:50 AM
Yes, our men hit the field and it's new turf last Wednesday. Women's soccer and volleyball also have started fall practice.

NDSUKurt
August 11th, 2020, 09:20 AM
Chattanooga is practicing. Hopefully we have someone to play in a month.

NDSU wants to play and needs games. That would be a good trip to Fargo for Chatty.

blueGOldMOCS
August 11th, 2020, 09:32 AM
Or Chatty for NDSU.

Mocs123
August 11th, 2020, 09:41 AM
My vote is for NDSU to come to Chattanooga. The weather will be much nicer here in October or November :) That is unless you're paying.

Maybe one day we will make the trip in the playoffs to play in the impenetrable fortress that is the Fargodome during the playoffs.

blueGOldMOCS
August 11th, 2020, 09:45 AM
So is NDSU still planning on playing this fall? We already lost JMU for this year.

Mocs123
August 11th, 2020, 09:50 AM
I think as of now the entire MVFC is still playing. Normally playing a school like JMU or NDSU would increase SOS to help with seeding or an at large playoff bid. I'm not sure that advantage will be there for a game this year, but it's still nice to know how you stack up against the best of the best.

PaladinNation
August 11th, 2020, 10:52 AM
How about a MVFC/SoCon weekend of matchups in the ATL at old Turner Field.

PaladinNation
August 11th, 2020, 10:54 AM

Furman/NDSU
The Citadel/Northern Iowa
Wofford/SDSU
Chatty/ISU

That would be some interesting matchups.

blueGOldMOCS
August 11th, 2020, 11:00 AM
Why not? We all need to fill some holes in our schedules. Coach Wright tweeted that he is willing to play anyone/anywhere.

FUBeAR
August 11th, 2020, 11:12 AM
Furman/NDSU
Wofford/SDSU
Chatty/ISU

So...you’re making this schedule to be played in a stadium 83 miles from Mercer’s campus in GEORGIA with 3 Teams from SC & 1 from TN?

How ‘bout if Mercer agrees to sponsor all of the Covid testing for all Teams that they can do in their on-campus Covid Testing / Analysis facility at their Medical School with immediate results?

Can the Bears join ur reindeer games then?

PaladinNation
August 11th, 2020, 11:19 AM
sure why not - meant no disrespect - those matchups just come to mind quickly.

How about a Mercer/Southern Ill. I know the Salukis are recruiting the south pretty hard.

Mocs123
August 11th, 2020, 11:25 AM
FuBEAR would make sure Tray Lance tests positive before the game!

FUBeAR
August 11th, 2020, 11:28 AM
FuBEAR would make sure Tray Lance tests positive before the game!
Teams’ Depth Charts are required to be submitted with all samples for, um, yeah, um, chain of custody integrity. That’s it, yep, chain of custody.

Mocs123
August 11th, 2020, 11:50 AM
I'd say Furman would be neck and neck with NDSU minus Lance as long as Granger has a good day. I really think Furman has a good team (and still wonder what happened against APSU).

MR. CHICKEN
August 11th, 2020, 12:40 PM
Furman/NDSU
Wofford/SDSU
Chatty/ISU

.....FURBALLS BEST CHANCE @ UH DUBBYA.....IN DAT SCENARIO.........WABBITS......AH COOD LEAD DUH BIZONSSS....AN' WIN BAH 3 TD'S......BRAWK!

.....CITADEL'D BE IN NEGATORY YARDAGE......AGIN'........CLENZ U.......AWK!

....WOFFY/CHATTY.........JELLO................WOOD FINISH HIGHER IN SOGONE........BAWK!

.....MERCER..................CREAM CORN....".................................................".........................DOODLE-DOO!

FUBeAR
August 11th, 2020, 12:48 PM
.....FURBALLS BEST CHANCE @ UH DUBBYA.....IN DAT SCENARIO.........WABBITS......AH COOD LEAD DUH BIZONSSS....AN' WIN BAH 3 TD'S......BRAWK!

.....CITADEL'D BE IN NEGATORY YARDAGE......AGIN'........CLENZ U.......AWK!

....WOFFY/CHATTY.........JELLO................WOOD FINISH HIGHER IN SOGONE........BAWK!

.....MERCER..................CREAM CORN....".................................................".........................DOODLE-DOO!Saw where a dog recently died of Covid. Didn’t realize it had also infected the poultry population and caused such a detrimental effect on avian cognitive abilities. That Covid is a muthaf’er, fa sho’!!!

FUBeAR
August 11th, 2020, 12:51 PM
I'd say Furman would be neck and neck with NDSU minus Lance as long as Granger has a good day. I really think Furman has a good team (and still wonder what happened against APSU).APSU was a VERY good Football Team in 2019. Saw them play 4 or 5 times. Not their best outing 2 weeks later in Bozeman. QB seemed injured to me.

PaladinNation
August 11th, 2020, 01:56 PM
Coach Quarles talks Furman offense and the depth at runningback.
A 220 Devin Wynn sounds scary, I really hope 22 gets to play a senior season.
Also freshman Kendall Thomas keeps getting brought up.
https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1293249112188518407

UpstateBison
August 11th, 2020, 02:01 PM
I'd say Furman would be neck and neck with NDSU minus Lance as long as Granger has a good day. I really think Furman has a good team (and still wonder what happened against APSU).

You have to love some good Southern humor.

MR. CHICKEN
August 11th, 2020, 02:41 PM
You have to love some good Southern humor.

.....TWAS MAH POINT...........EGG-ZAKLEE...................BRAWK!

Mocs123
August 11th, 2020, 03:00 PM
If NDSU without their QB and best player, would walk all over a top 25 team in a neutral location (and they might - I don't know) then we ought to just name them the permanent national champion and the rest of us can play in the playoffs for runner up. Not that I blame NDSU - they are just doing their thing - but the level of dominance they have had the decade is not good for the FCS. They are the Mount Union of FCS.

And you could argue that Furman isn't an top 25 team, but despite their implosion against APSU in the playoffs, I think they are a good team - a legitimate top 25 team. They are certainly better now then they were when NDSU played them in the playoffs in ~2013.

NDSUKurt
August 11th, 2020, 08:02 PM

Only NDSU, Southern Illinois, and Missouri State appear to be playing this fall at this point.

walliver
August 12th, 2020, 06:32 AM

That might work. The Georgia State stadium is quite used to social distancing.

FUBeAR
August 12th, 2020, 06:43 AM
That might work. The Georgia State stadium is quite used to social distancing.
Pretty good crowd when the Paladins brought our Legions to town...

September 7
7:00 p.m.
No. 17 (FCS (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_football_rankings#STATS_P oll)) Furman (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Furman_Paladins_football_team)*

Georgia State Stadium (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_State_Stadium)
Atlanta, GA (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta)

ESPN3 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPN3)
W 48–42

https://furmanpaladins.com/images/2019/9/7/Football_GeorgiaSt_1stHalf_28.jpg

PaladinNation
August 12th, 2020, 06:55 AM
I didn't realize it was down to just three MVFC schools still planning to play.

Back to the SoCon.

I think we're seeing the kickstart of the resurgence of the SoCon.
I'll take my purple-tint glasses off and give an un-biased take on the other SoCon schools futures.

Mercer - is setup to succeed.
Boxes checked - Administration support, Facilities, Recruiting hotbed, new HC with a great track record.

Chatty - similar to Mercer.
Boxes checked - seems to have Administration support, Facilities, Recruiting hotbed, new HC with a great track record and energy, love the Mocs HC.

Citadel - anomoly.
I thought after Houston left the DOGS would decline. I was wrong.
Boxes checked - Admin support, Unique offering, location, coaching, team identity, tradition.

Wofford - reloading or…
I know several guys that played for and coached with Mike Ayers. They obviously want Conklin to succeed.
But - they all expected this season we would see a Terrier team that doesn't look like an Ayers team.
That might be good. Wofford has now been knocked out of the playoffs back-to-back by Kennesaw.
Boxes checked - Admin support, sugar daddy, facilities, tradition, excellent recruiting and player development.

I put ETSU and Samford right outside the bunch above. I'm not counting the BUCS or DOGS out - Coach Sanders has proven he can coach the BUCS into being a contender. Samford always has the potential every year. I just don't think they're going to contend in the next two seasons.

Furman -
Boxes checked - Admin Support?, Academics, Facilities, location, coaching, identity, tradition.
Clay Hendrix stepped into a situation at Furman with a mix of talent and deep depth holes, as well as some misses on player development.
This staff has quickly established a team identify, and a very strategic, pragmatic recruiting approach. The four CCH recruiting classes on paper have gone from modestly ranked classes (20-30 ranked) to top-ten to top-five.

I believe the SoCon has a very good group of Head Coaches. The SoCon appears to be holding its own in recruiting and in some cases making strides in raising the talent pool. The proof will be in OOC matchups. We have to start taking advantage of these matchups and we have to schedule more teams from the CAA, OVC, and MVFC.

Who knows what FCS football will look like when we start seeing a normal football season.

FUBeAR
August 12th, 2020, 07:20 AM

Back to the SoCon.

I'll take my purple-tint glasses off and give an un-biased take on the other SoCon schools futures.

Boxes checked - Administration support, Facilities, Recruiting hotbed, new HC with a great track record.

Boxes checked - seems to have Administration support, Facilities, Recruiting hotbed, new HC with a great track record and energy, love the Mocs HC.

Citadel - anomoly.
Boxes checked - Admin support, Unique offering, location, coaching, team identity, tradition.

Wofford - reloading or…
I know several guys that played for and coached with Mike Ayers. They obviously want Conklin to succeed.
But - they all expected this season we would see a Terrier team that doesn't look like an Ayers team.
That might be good. Wofford has now been knocked out of the playoffs back-to-back by Kennesaw.
Boxes checked - Admin support, sugar daddy, facilities, tradition, excellent recruiting and player development.

I put ETSU and Samford right outside the bunch above. I'm not counting the BUCS or DOGS out - Coach Sanders has proven he can coach the BUCS into being a contender. Samford always has the potential every year. I just don't think they're going to contend in the next two seasons.

Furman -
Boxes checked - Admin Support?, Academics, Facilities, location, coaching, identity, tradition.
Clay Hendrix stepped into a situation at Furman with a mix of talent and deep depth holes, as well as some misses on player development.
This staff has quickly established a team identify, and a very strategic, pragmatic recruiting approach. The four CCH recruiting classes on paper have gone from modestly ranked classes (20-30 ranked) to top-ten to top-five.

I believe the SoCon has a very good group of Head Coaches. The SoCon appears to be holding its own in recruiting and in some cases making strides in raising the talent pool. The proof will be in OOC matchups. We have to start taking advantage of these matchups and we have to schedule more teams from the CAA, OVC, and MVFC.

Who knows what FCS football will look like when we start seeing a normal football season.
Mostly accurate, but 2019’s OOC & Playoff results were abominable aberrations.

If we ever return to “normal,” SoCon Football Teams / Schools are going to have to INVEST to return to national FCS relevance, and do even more to make that national FCS prominence.

* Assistant Coaches compensation must become ‘more than competitive.’
* Recruiting budgets must be drastically increased.
* Facilities, in some cases, must be updated / upgraded.
* In some cases, Admissions policies need to be more individualized - so many kids that don’t quite ‘measure up,’ but would be able to come in and academically succeed with the academic support provided...which also needs to be expanded.
* Academic scheduling needs to also be flexible & provide preference to Student-Athletes (NO NARP’s have the time-demands & inflexibility that SA’s do).
* Finally, the SoCon should be actively recruiting KSU, JSU, (probably) Campbell, maybe APSU, and other Schools that are SERIOUS about making an investment in Football to join the SoCon.

I’m not sure there are many, or even any, SoCon Schools that have the stomach & pocketbook, to support much, or even any, of that - especially, in this environment.

Oh well - maybe this ‘environment’ will bring the Top 5 or 10 FCS Teams ‘back to the pack’ and we’ll accidentally stumble into being relevant / prominent again.

Mocs123
August 12th, 2020, 08:07 AM

Back to the SoCon.

Citadel - anomoly.

Wofford - reloading or…

Furman -

Mercer's administration wants to win, probably more than any in the SoCon and I think they made a great coaching hire. I'm not sure they will ever be a juggernaut, but I do think they will be a factor in the SoCon for quite some time.

I really like Chattanooga's coach too. I think Rusty was just what we needed after the Arth fiasco and has brought back the blue collar approach. We have some talent and I think will have a really good 2020 season if we get to play. We're building a new football building which should help from a facilities standpoint in recruiting.

The Citadel seems to be a little cyclical having really good teams and then mediocre ones but should be good in 2020 if they get to play. It's hard to recruit the best athletes to a military school (even in Charleston) but they do a lot with the guys they do get.

I thought Ayers was the best coach in the SoCon about getting the most out of the athletes he got, because the Terriers didn't always have the best "Jimmies and Joes's" I expected a downturn under Conklin, but that hasn't happened yet. I think this year will be telling for the trajectory of the Wofford program.

Clay Hendrix really turned the Furman culture around and I think the Paladins are a really good team. I'm still shocked they were dominated by Austin Peay they way they were. I think the Dins are poised to be SoCon championship contenders as long as Hendrix is there.

Samford will remain a dangerous team as long as Hatcher is the coach. The style of offense they run can beat almost anyone if it's clicking on all cylinders, but if it's not they can be beaten by almost anyone as well. I think the Bulldogs remain a scary opponent, but overall remain middle of the pack in the SoCon, having a odd year of contending for the SoCon crown when things go their way.

Henrick was ETSU's heart and soul. The Bucs have good fan support and can contend if they can find a replacement, but so far without him they aren't the same team.

VMI is on an upward trajectory - something not often said, but I think until they get better support from their administration, their ceiling is limited.

WCU seems like it has a football team for the band. They seem to recruit better than you would think, but don't develop guys very well. I thought Speir was a good hire and he's had some decent years, but now I start to wonder if he's the right person. Does any coach have the support in Cullowee to be successful?

walliver
August 12th, 2020, 10:06 AM
It sounds like ETSU is taking the year off.

At this point, it would not be unlikely to have a mini-season in the fall. Wofford, Furman, the Citadel and VMI could have an eastern schedule with the others in a western division and play a 4 or 5 game season. This would reduce COVID-related testing expenses and allow the season to end before flu season returns. Another 4 games could be played in the Spring (although I doubt we see spring football).

With the current schedule, most Wofford fans would lose interest after September 12th as it is.

Mocs123
August 12th, 2020, 10:16 AM
Honestly I'll take any Chattanooga football I can get. If we end up only playing SoCon games - so be it. If we end up only playing 4-5 games with teams that want to play - so be it. I'd love a "regular" season, but I think that ship has all but sailed at this point, even though officially every team we're playing in 2020 but one is still playing.

Mocs123
August 12th, 2020, 10:27 AM
SoCon meeting today to discuss fall sports?

FUBeAR
August 12th, 2020, 10:27 AM
Honestly I'll take any Chattanooga football I can get. If we end up only playing SoCon games - so be it. If we end up only playing 4-5 games with teams that want to play - so be it. I'd love a "regular" season, but I think that ship has all but sailed at this point, even though officially every team we're playing in 2020 but one is still playing.
When I was @ FU, we had a loosely-termed JV Team - mostly FR, a lot of walks-ons, and a few SO’s that needed seasoning. We’d play 4 or 5 loosely-organized games...and the most fun game every year was going a few miles down the road & tangling with the Tigers version of a JV Squad in Death Valley...similar to ours, but quite a few more, what today would be called 4 & 5 stars. May have been about 50 people in the stands, but it was FUN & Competitive...Probably would have beat them my R-FR year if some dummy hadn’t snapped a punt snap out of the back of the end zone (points to self).

Anyway - my point is - if they can cobble together 4 or 5 mostly meaningless games & maybe hook up a couple of GREATLY-reduced $ games, even with hardly anyone in the stands, the kids will still have a blast...and, maybe, someone will air it as TV is going to be STARVED for content this Fall.

Sure rather do that than hope for a doubtful spring season that will be just as meaningless, if it does happen.

gofurman
August 12th, 2020, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by PaladinNation

https://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?p=2903523#post2903523) I didn't realize it was down to just three MVFC schools still planning to play.

Back to the SoCon.

Citadel - anomoly.

Wofford - reloading or…

Furman -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mercer's administration wants to win, probably more than any in the SoCon and I think they made a great coaching hire. I'm not sure they will ever be a juggernaut, but I do think they will be a factor in the SoCon for quite some time.

I really like Chattanooga's coach too. I think Rusty was just what we needed after the Arth fiasco and has brought back the blue collar approach. We have some talent and I think will have a really good 2020 season if we get to play. We're building a new football building which should help from a facilities standpoint in recruiting.

The Citadel seems to be a little cyclical having really good teams and then mediocre ones but should be good in 2020 if they get to play. It's hard to recruit the best athletes to a military school (even in Charleston) but they do a lot with the guys they do get.

I thought Ayers was the best coach in the SoCon about getting the most out of the athletes he got, because the Terriers didn't always have the best "Jimmies and Joes's" I expected a downturn under Conklin, but that hasn't happened yet. I think this year will be telling for the trajectory of the Wofford program.

Clay Hendrix really turned the Furman culture around and I think the Paladins are a really good team. I'm still shocked they were dominated by Austin Peay they way they were. I think the Dins are poised to be SoCon championship contenders as long as Hendrix is there.

Samford will remain a dangerous team as long as Hatcher is the coach. The style of offense they run can beat almost anyone if it's clicking on all cylinders, but if it's not they can be beaten by almost anyone as well. I think the Bulldogs remain a scary opponent, but overall remain middle of the pack in the SoCon, having a odd year of contending for the SoCon crown when things go their way.

Henrick was ETSU's heart and soul. The Bucs have good fan support and can contend if they can find a replacement, but so far without him they aren't the same team.

VMI is on an upward trajectory - something not often said, but I think until they get better support from their administration, their ceiling is limited.

WCU seems like it has a football team for the band. They seem to recruit better than you would think, but don't develop guys very well. I thought Speir was a good hire and he's had some decent years, but now I start to wonder if he's the right person. Does any coach have the support in Cullowee to be successful?
---------------------

great points by you both. My iterations and reiterations

1) The SoCon needs to get more serious about NATIONAL relevance again. Once the dominant force with 10 national titles by members - 6 by Georgia Southern, 3 by App and 1 by Furman... with several other final four / national title appearances (hell, twice Furman played Georgia Southern for the title !!)
2) Furman-specific, it's MUCH harder now with MUCH more stringent academic requirements. We couldn't even offer a kid last year until Colgate offered him first.. only then did the admin approve our offer.. and by then he was gone. It is what it is but it makes it VVVEEERRYY hard to compete. Don't hold the APSU game against Furman too much just like we beat Samford 58-14 ! One game is just one game.. Same for any team
3) I think Mercer has a great coach now and he scares me. Hopefully good for the conference
4) I don't think the Citadel will ever play for a natty as a military school but they do well for having to recruit through those requirements
5) Wofford will be very interestin' the next two years. Probably less pure running-option and more passing. Will Conklin be able to make the switch? For this year they had a lot of defections among the big boys leaving for Illinois and the like (to their credit that shows how good Wofford was recruiting OL etc)

*Oh, for my school of Furman I do worry a little about the highest admin support. You can't win anything without top support. We will see how she responds to all this w salaries etc.

PaladinNation
August 12th, 2020, 10:16 PM
I wouldn't fret too much about the strict academic requirements the Furman program is under. It is what it is. Last year the DINS still had the second ranked class just a slight notch below JMU. I do think the coaches have tuned their recruiting.

For 2021 — Furman has commits from arguably the two best defensive players on the reigning GA state champs at AAAAAA and AAAAA one has 20 offers, the other 23 offers - including Ivies, P5s, G5s, SoCon, OVC, CAA, MVFC, and the Academies.

SU DOG
August 13th, 2020, 11:32 AM
Agree with most of the previous thoughts about the SoCon and its teams. If my team(2018), can only go 6-5 with THREE ALL-AMERICANS, including the Walter Payton Award winner, then what can we expect? I count SEVEN former Samford players who were on NFL rosters last year. I haven't researched how that compares to other SoCon teams, but I bet it's near the top of the list. The conference hasn't seen just how good Oladokun is because he played with an injury last year that happened vs The Citadel. He is not Hodges, but he is really good. Currently there is fine talent here on both sides of the ball, and a batch of new assistant coaches, but that may be a so-what statement.

I've said it before, and I'll repeat - "Coaches win games, but administrators win championships". That being said, I'm telling you that the team to watch out for in the long run is Mercer.

Mocs123
August 13th, 2020, 03:09 PM
SoCon is out

SU DOG
August 13th, 2020, 03:15 PM
https://soconsports.com/news/2020/8/13/general-socon-postpones-fall-conference-competition.aspx

Mocs123
August 13th, 2020, 04:34 PM
Chattanooga still looking into playing some games. Hopefully if the coaches and players want to play we can make it happen.

ETSUfan1
August 13th, 2020, 05:20 PM
See ya next year. Maybe.

FUBeAR
August 13th, 2020, 05:29 PM
Mercer is IN.

From a reliable, well-placed, unnamed source, the Bears are ALL IN!

IF they can find some opponents, they’ll be playin’ some feetsball games this Fall,

Catamount87
August 14th, 2020, 08:11 AM
Has any of the athletic departments mentioned how'll they deal with season football ticket holders? Most everyone had to purchase their season tickets well in advance. So, how are the various athletic departments addressing those tickets for games that won't happen? Refunds? Credits for spring games or apply the funds to the 2021 season? Or are the ticket holders just SOOL?

Mocs123
August 14th, 2020, 11:05 AM
Chattanooga has said season ticket holders can either request a refund or can apply those funds to 2021 season tickets.

kdinva
August 14th, 2020, 01:19 PM
Mercer is IN.

From a reliable, well-placed, unnamed source, the Bears are ALL IN!

IF they can find some opponents, they’ll be playin’ some feetsball games this Fall,

VMI alums/boosters, and lots of players, not happy the Admin. said "no" to the UVa game ($375K), and didn't try to hook up with Army (has 5 or 6 open slots, now), or any close by FBS teams, even the Sun Belch.... xconfusedx

FUBeAR
August 14th, 2020, 01:43 PM
VMI alums/boosters, and lots of players, not happy the Admin. said "no" to the UVa game ($375K), and didn't try to hook up with Army (has 5 or 6 open slots, now), or any close by FBS teams, even the Sun Belch.... xconfusedx
8.5 hours might be a bit fer for the Bears to take that game with the Wahoos off the Keydets’ hands. Think Tom’s College would be willing to come to Maconga?

SU DOG
August 14th, 2020, 04:38 PM
Samford has thrown in the towel.
https://samfordsports.com/

FUBeAR
August 15th, 2020, 02:06 AM
Samford has thrown in the towel.
https://samfordsports.com/A bit odd that the AD kinda, sorta ‘blames’ the Players in his statement...

“[AD] Newton said. "Our student-athletes...voiced their questions and concerns about the unknowns related to the virus. We based our decision primarily on their feedback."

...particularly with Samford’s Players seeming to take the SoCon lead in the #WeWantToPlay ‘movement.’

More going on with this statement?

Or...just strange times...when you have to ‘show’ that you’re “listening“ to medical opinions of kids who are taking Bio 101 (maybe) AND ‘show’ that you believe (the “right”) science AND SAY that you really care about ‘competing’...and, in order to do all that, you have to ‘show’ as a ‘Leader’ that you absolve yourself of (almost) any responsibility for making a decision. xconfusedx

FUBeAR will be 100% SHOCKED (but happy...kinda) if there is a Spring Football season 2021.

By then, the decision may lie with the United Student Government Committee or the Federal Covid Commissar.

SU DOG
August 15th, 2020, 09:11 AM
I agree FUBeAR, because our athletes wanted to play - many tweets to verify that. Virus may be one factor, but, we all know, that the fear of lawsuits is the elephant in the room. As soon as a football player comes down with the virus, fingers will start pointing to the school as being reckless, although he may have been infected in a history class instead of on the field.

FUBeAR
August 15th, 2020, 10:26 AM
I agree FUBeAR, because our athletes wanted to play - many tweets to verify that. Virus may be one factor, but, we all know, that the fear of lawsuits is the elephant in the room. As soon as a football player comes down with the virus, fingers will start pointing to the school as being reckless, although he may have been infected in a history class instead of on the field.I’d say the Chi-O house is a more likely viral transmission / infection venue than either of those, but I agree with your main point.

Milktruck74
August 15th, 2020, 01:40 PM
Has any of the athletic departments mentioned how'll they deal with season football ticket holders? Most everyone had to purchase their season tickets well in advance. So, how are the various athletic departments addressing those tickets for games that won't happen? Refunds? Credits for spring games or apply the funds to the 2021 season? Or are the ticket holders just SOOL?

If you bought the season tickets....just let it go. chalk it up to a Covid Tax. Let your school have those funds. it'll make a huge difference to them and not much to you. It's money you already spent, and it is money they need!!!! Yeah, it hurts to pay for something you don't get, but you are investing in your program.

FUBeAR
August 15th, 2020, 01:47 PM
If you bought the season tickets....just let it go. chalk it up to a Covid Tax. Let your school have those funds. it'll make a huge difference to them and not much to you. It's money you already spent, and it is money they need!!!! Yeah, it hurts to pay for something you don't get, but you are investing in your program.GREAT POST!

(Full Transparency - FUBeAR has not renewed his FU Season Tix...yet)

Milktruck74
August 15th, 2020, 01:48 PM
FUBeAR will be 100% SHOCKED (but happy...kinda) if there is a Spring Football season 2021.

You played....and in the trenches at that. I'm scared of a spring season....maybe not the spring season, but the ensuing fall. Can a body (even an 18-22 year old body) take 24 games in 8 months? You had a son that just wrapped up...would that concern you for him and his (structural) health? I have mostly girls (17,16,8) and my boy is only 6, so it is hard for me to really fathom the idea....but that seems like it would be a major concern....the carnage of a fall 21 season after a full spring season is scary to me. I think we would crown a champion by attrition. Thoughts?

SU DOG
August 15th, 2020, 02:54 PM
Spring should be a shortened season, with no championship of any kind IMO. If we do have teams that play 4 games this fall, then I think maybe a 6(or so) game spring would suffice. I dunno, so maybe I am totally wrong, but first thought is to make this like an extended ST. The kids could then handle the rigors, and us fans could survive until we see a real season. Again though, there are so many questions that I have trouble envisioning anything that makes sense.

walliver
August 15th, 2020, 09:41 PM
When I renewed my season tickets a few months ago, I was told I wouldn't be charged if the season was cancelled.
They did keep my Terrier Club donation.

If anyone wants to help their school and not get a ticket refund, make sure the school earmarks it as a donation so you can get the tax deduction.

ElCid
August 16th, 2020, 08:20 PM
Well this sucks.

FUBeAR
August 16th, 2020, 09:58 PM
You played....and in the trenches at that. I'm scared of a spring season....maybe not the spring season, but the ensuing fall. Can a body (even an 18-22 year old body) take 24 games in 8 months? You had a son that just wrapped up...would that concern you for him and his (structural) health? I have mostly girls (17,16,8) and my boy is only 6, so it is hard for me to really fathom the idea....but that seems like it would be a major concern....the carnage of a fall 21 season after a full spring season is scary to me. I think we would crown a champion by attrition. Thoughts?
24 would be a lot. If they do have a Spring Season, which I doubt they will, it should be 5 or 6 games...and, then, they can rig up some 4 team or 6 team playoff.

The really problem isn’t so much the number of games, it’s how late they go....in case of injury. That’s one of the primary reasons FU starts Spring Practice as early as possible. Kid tears his ACL in May, he’s gonna miss time in the Fall...if he tears it in Feb., he may be ready on opening day...maybe. Not just ACL’s - the more time you have to recover / rehab any injury, the lower the chances of re-injury. And, I believe (don’t have empirical data), that more injuries will occur in games vs. practice...even Spring Practice, where there’s typically a lot of live contact....ALL are gittin’ it just a little bit (or maybe a lot - FUBeAR was a Really CRAPPY practice Player...and a somewhat less crappy Game Player ...cuz GOING HARDER...MUCH HARDER on Gamedays...not supposed to be that way...according to Coaches, but it is.

So - yeah - it’s a lot & if they extend it into May, some kids are gonna lose some ‘real’ seasons in 2021. Honestly, I don’t think we’ll see FCS Football return until 2022...maybe. Gonna need some LEADERS to say #FUATT to some previously unheard of level of “safety” and say....”we’re Playing Football”...a game that is seriously (empirically) 100x more risky to play than catching Covid is for these young men....“you go tremble somewhere else if you want to.“

walliver
August 17th, 2020, 10:35 AM
The problem with "spring" football, is that spring means something very different in different parts of the country.
Florida and Arizona schools could easily start play in January. Other southern schools could easily play in early March. A lot of northern schools wouldn't want to start until April and by then there isn't much time to play.

I anticipate spring football being a couple of games associated with spring training. The SoCon could try an 8 game season, but I suspect 4 games with a conference championship game being the best we could realistically expect. Playoffs of any sort are unlikely.

Mocs123
August 17th, 2020, 10:48 AM
From what I understand Rusty Wright is not in favor of spring football - too much wear and tear on the athletes bodies to have both a spring and fall 2021 season. Of course that may depend on how many games, when, etc. I could also see a situation where spring 2021 is almost like the NFL pre-season with some games played that don't mean a whole lot, but more like exhibition games during and extended spring practice.

Mocs123
August 17th, 2020, 10:52 AM
Where do SoCon schools stand on OOC games fall 2020?

ETSU - out
Chattanooga - ????
The Citadel - ?
Furman - trying to play??
Mercer - trying to play
Samford - out
Wofford - ?
VMI - ?
Western Carolina ?

walliver
August 17th, 2020, 11:19 AM
The last I heard is that Wofford won't play and I've heard Furman and VMI likewise. The others are going to have a hard time finding anyone to play.

Currently, NCAA requirements for COVID testing are too expensive to implement without a good money game.

Milktruck74
August 17th, 2020, 02:06 PM
Spring may end up being an extended spring practice with a few expo games, but the FCS Championship is lost for 20-21. Nobody could stop the Bison, but they won't win a 20-21 championship!!!!

PaladinNation
August 17th, 2020, 10:58 PM
when we do get to play football… Furman is loading up the wagon.
Not sure what Furman is doing to have such a high level of success recruiting during what has to be unusual recruiting.

Bryce Stanfield 6-2 250 DE
23 offers - 8 FBS

Jason Gilliom 6-2 190 DB
19 offers - offers from CAA, SoCon, OVC, MVFC, Academies

Landon Whittemore 6-4 225 TE
23 offers - #4 ranked TE in TN

already committed…

Tommy Beuglas 6-1 225 MLB Buford, GA
Devin DuCille 5-11 220 RB Alpharetta, GA
Jace Wilson 5-10 170 QB Austin, TX
Joshua Harris 6-3 175 WR Kennesaw, GA
Alex Maier 6-4 225 DE Fleming Island, FL

FUBeAR
August 18th, 2020, 07:49 AM
Middletown, New York (northwestern NYC suburbs) Times Herald-Record is reporting Mercer FOOTBALL @ Army FOOTBALL on 10/10.

https://www.recordonline.com/story/sports/college/football/2020/08/17/revised-2020-army-football-schedule-expected-seven-home-games/3388086001/

Mocs123
August 18th, 2020, 08:30 AM
That's a good pickup for Mercer!

FUBeAR
August 18th, 2020, 09:31 AM
That's a good pickup for Mercer!
I understand pen has not met paper on this game just yet. Hope they can work out the details. Been to USAFA & USNA - never been to West Point - would like to see if I can put together a trip. Went up to Mercer @ Marist on 11/16/13 and it was beautiful up there. Only about 35 miles apart. It was a warm November day that year. Would hope for similar in Oct. if this comes together & I can make the trip.

ElCid
August 19th, 2020, 06:31 PM
Cool. Our game with Clemson is not only, not cancelled, it is moved up from Nov to Sep. I like it.

Also picked up a home game against E. Kentucky. First meeting. I like it as well.

FUBeAR
August 19th, 2020, 06:58 PM
Cool. Our game with Clemson is not only, not cancelled, it is moved up from Nov to Sep. I like it.

Also picked up a home game against E. Kentucky. First meeting. I like it as well.
Yep - hard to praise the bellhops, but hangin’ on to the Clemson game & bringing EKU into the racist-named half-a-stadium doesn’t suck. Sorry - that’s about as effusive as I can be. yay.

A Mercer parent said her Player told her the Bears have something cooking with JaxSt, but that’s the only rumor of it I’ve heard. With JaxSt looking to play 4 & already having 2 on the road (@FIU & @ N AL), if anything came together between those 2, I would think it would be @ Jax, unless they REALLY wanted to play in GA for Recruiting purposes.

The fact that neither Army nor Mercer has officially announced that game & knowing no contract had been signed when it was reported makes me wonder if they are going to nail that one down. Not sure what the issues would be in getting it inked. Maybe Governor Cuomo has to approve the visiting teams into his state...and since GA is a ‘red state,’ he may not want Army to host the Bears...thinking the current CiC would outrank him in that regard...but who knows. JK about all that...who knows what variables impact these things in this crazy, not-so-brave new world!

walliver
August 19th, 2020, 07:28 PM
Yep - hard to praise the bellhops, but hangin’ on to the Clemson game & bringing EKU into the racist-named half-a-stadium doesn’t suck. Sorry - that’s about as effusive as I can be. yay.

A Mercer parent said her Player told her the Bears have something cooking with JaxSt, but that’s the only rumor of it I’ve heard. With JaxSt looking to play 4 & already having 2 on the road (@FIU & @ N AL), if anything came together between those 2, I would think it would be @ Jax, unless they REALLY wanted to play in GA for Recruiting purposes.

The fact that neither Army nor Mercer has officially announced that game & knowing no contract had been signed when it was reported makes me wonder if they are going to nail that one down. Not sure what the issues would be in getting it inked. Maybe Governor Cuomo has to approve the visiting teams into his state...and since GA is a ‘red state,’ he may not want Army to host the Bears...thinking the current CiC would outrank him in that regard...but who knows. JK about all that...who knows what variables impact these things in this crazy, not-so-brave new world!

But is West Point actually in New York. As a federal installation, they could just helicopter the Bears in and helicopter them out and the state of New York couldn't stop them.

FUBeAR
August 19th, 2020, 08:19 PM
But is West Point actually in New York. As a federal installation, they could just helicopter the Bears in and helicopter them out and the state of New York couldn't stop them.
Yeah, I guess the Bears could fly into BWI (MD Gov is a Rep.), bus up to Aberdeen & 3 Chinooks would have the range & capacity to get them to the ground in West Point...and there are 1200 Active Duty soldiers there...so they could probably bunk in another 100 peeps...maybe these logistics plans are why the contract is taking awhile.

Hopefully, they have scratched the original plans to have all the Bears parachute into the stadium before kickoff from a C-17. Would be cool, but the risk of contracting Covid on the plane before the jump is just too high. xrotatehx

walliver
August 20th, 2020, 10:29 AM
Yeah, I guess the Bears could fly into BWI (MD Gov is a Rep.), bus up to Aberdeen & 3 Chinooks would have the range & capacity to get them to the ground in West Point...and there are 1200 Active Duty soldiers there...so they could probably bunk in another 100 peeps...maybe these logistics plans are why the contract is taking awhile.

Hopefully, they have scratched the original plans to have all the Bears parachute into the stadium before kickoff from a C-17. Would be cool, but the risk of contracting Covid on the plane before the jump is just too high. xrotatehx

Does the military have parachutes large enough for offensive linemen?

FUBeAR
August 20th, 2020, 10:53 AM
Does the military have parachutes large enough for offensive linemen?yeah, we good.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcThA1t-wwAU2RJOciGOrpZcyXNlQGwoq4dPpg&usqp=CAU

Derby City Duke
August 20th, 2020, 11:13 AM
Does the military have parachutes large enough for offensive linemen?

Yeppers. Either heavy drop or LAPES. LAPES was always a ‘hold your breath’ exercise to see if the Sheridan was going to slide or tumble. Saw one slide into the tree line once at Bragg. Someone had some ‘splaining to do.’

SU DOG
August 20th, 2020, 12:16 PM
In the meanwhile, JSU replaces Samford on the FSU schedule. To me, that news adds insult to injury. The SWAC has a spring schedule out, and the SEC has a fall schedule. That leaves 6 D-1 teams in the state of Alabama. All but ONE will try to play this fall. That one is Samford. Not exactly the image that we need to portray, IMO. Even if the season fails, those other 5 schools can be credited with at least making an effort.

ElCid
August 21st, 2020, 06:14 AM

Well since West Point is a federal facility, I think Cuomo will be trumped. I still have hopes that we can have at least a more busy season than planned.

ElCid
August 21st, 2020, 06:32 AM
We just added S Florida as well. Nice!

FUBeAR
August 21st, 2020, 07:06 AM
We just added S Florida as well. Nice!
yay

ElCid
August 21st, 2020, 08:01 AM
What I want to know is even if the SOCON is not playing, can't the remaining teams deciding to play some ball, just play each other. Does the conference even have a say in that????? Make it an OOC game. It would be great to play Mercer since they are playing. Heck why not play twice. Once at home for each. Is Chatty still in the hunt for games? Is the conference poo pooing teams that are still playing? Maybe they already asked, but I would give the lawyers a call.

Mocs123
August 21st, 2020, 09:28 AM
Not sure if Chattanooga is still in the hunt. I've heard rumors that we are and rumors that we aren't. Officially I don't think our games against Western Kentucky and North Alabama were ever canceled.

blueGOldMOCS
August 21st, 2020, 11:23 AM
I figured we would have heard something by now if we were going to play.

SU DOG
August 21st, 2020, 12:51 PM
Heard this morning that UTC was out, but that was not from an official source. Is Mercer still in? Looks like by now they would have announced something about a schedule if they were playing.

FUBeAR
August 21st, 2020, 01:17 PM
Is Mercer still in?
https://image.myanimelist.net/ui/OK6W_koKDTOqqqLDbIoPAiSWnHOWntFFNz2AEy-y5eM

tallgeorgiagent
August 22nd, 2020, 08:47 AM
Heard this morning that UTC was out, but that was not from an official source. Is Mercer still in? Looks like by now they would have announced something about a schedule if they were playing.Just heard different. Was told by a source in the AD department that our game against North Alabama is on for Sept 19th.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

blueGOldMOCS
August 22nd, 2020, 08:51 AM
Wonder if they will let fans in the game, and if so, if there will be a line?

tallgeorgiagent
August 22nd, 2020, 08:58 AM
Wonder if they will let fans in the game, and if so, if there will be a line?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkFrom what I hear some fans will be allowed in.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

blueGOldMOCS
August 22nd, 2020, 10:42 AM
Wonder how that will be determined. They have been calling about what you want to do with your season tickets.

ElCid
August 24th, 2020, 09:36 AM
And just like that we pick up our third FBS game of the year. Bringing it to West Point now. They have not wanted to play us since the early 90s when we took 2 of 3. I was stationed in upstate NY and got to go to one of the wins.

S Florida 12 Sep ... winnable
Clemson 19 Sep ... $$$
Army 10 Oct ... winnable

Also have E Kentucky on 26 Sep

SU DOG
August 24th, 2020, 10:19 AM
UTC will play only one game this fall. It was announced today that the Mocs will face Western Kentucky there on Oct. 24, and that will be the Mocs' only game.

SU DOG
August 24th, 2020, 11:45 AM
Army official site comes out today with their schedule and Mercer IS listed for Oct. 24.

SU DOG
August 24th, 2020, 12:35 PM
Also announced Saturday, Mercer @ JSU on Oct 10.

How much of an advantage will these SoCon Teams that play (assuming they get to) have over the others? Even with a very limited schedule it would seem to me that the benefits would be huge, if indeed there is a meaningful spring schedule.

FUBeAR
August 24th, 2020, 08:01 PM
https://twitter.com/rivalsportal/status/1297982635164217345

10 Starts in 3 years...and he gone as a Grad Transfer!

Leading tackler in SoCon in 2019...had 22 against Mercer. Heckuva Player...thought he was a only like a Soph though cuz he really just came ‘on the scene’ last year.

I get the way things work these days, but back in a different day, the Coaches I know woulda been grumblin’, “That boy hung round here eatin’ groceries for 3 years and we ain’t get but ‘bout 3 starts a year from him. Who recruited that ______?” (FUBeAR is sure of this because that’s just about what these Coaches said TO him after getting injured in the 1st scrimmage FR year & the 1st day in pads in R-FR year...never missed a practice/game due to injury after that - just bad luck early)

Nothin against young Mr. Staton, personally, at all...that’s just the way it is today and with all the season cancellations, etc., it’s even worse. Can’t blame a kid for wanting to PLAY!

Oh well, will miss seeing him finish his career in the SoCon, but hope he finds a place to play this year & shows out!

UpstateBison
August 24th, 2020, 09:24 PM
Bison @ UTC would be a great game. Closest travel game for me Of course, Bison @ Wofford would be a dream. I could walk to Gibbs. Epic tailgate.

Mocs123
August 25th, 2020, 07:31 AM
I'd love to see NDSU play in Chattanooga. Perhaps a future home and home would be possible.

SU DOG
August 25th, 2020, 10:45 AM
https://twitter.com/rivalsportal/status/1297982635164217345

10 Starts in 3 years...and he gone as a Grad Transfer!

Leading tackler in SoCon in 2019...had 22 against Mercer. Heckuva Player...thought he was a only like a Soph though cuz he really just came ‘on the scene’ last year.

I get the way things work these days, but back in a different day, the Coaches I know woulda been grumblin’, “That boy hung round here eatin’ groceries for 3 years and we ain’t get but ‘bout 3 starts a year from him. Who recruited that ______?” (FUBeAR is sure of this because that’s just about what these Coaches said TO him after getting injured in the 1st scrimmage FR year & the 1st day in pads in R-FR year...never missed a practice/game due to injury after that - just bad luck early)

Nothin against young Mr. Staton, personally, at all...that’s just the way it is today and with all the season cancellations, etc., it’s even worse. Can’t blame a kid for wanting to PLAY!

Oh well, will miss seeing him finish his career in the SoCon, but hope he finds a place to play this year & shows out!

BIG loss for Samford no doubt. However, a late start for me this a m, and not through with my first cup of coffee, I need to better understand FUB's post. John started EVERY game last year. He also played in EVERY game for the 2 previous years, so PT really shouldn't have been an issue. Also, if I remember correctly, John Staton was originally a WALK-ON! Seemed like a great kid who worked his butt off, and he will be missed. Don't know what the issue is, but certainly I join FUBeAR in wishing John the best.

Mocs123
August 25th, 2020, 11:03 AM
He's probably hoping to get picked up by a p5/g5 team playing this fall. He may think he has a shot at the 2021 NFL draft, or he may be ready to move on with life after football and not want to stick around for a fall 2021 season.

FUBeAR
August 25th, 2020, 11:12 AM
BIG loss for Samford no doubt. However, a late start for me this a m, and not through with my first cup of coffee, I need to better understand FUB's post. John started EVERY game last year. He also played in EVERY game for the 2 previous years, so PT really shouldn't have been an issue. Also, if I remember correctly, John Staton was originally a WALK-ON! Seemed like a great kid who worked his butt off, and he will be missed. Don't know what the issue is, but certainly I join FUBeAR in wishing John the best.
Not sure I had a point, really...

Saw the Tweet about his Xfer
Saw it said GRAD Xfer
Since I thought he was a youngster, went to Profile on SammySite to see how that could be possible
Saw he had been there 3 seasons & I never ‘registered’ him until last season, so was surprised
Saw he started 10 games last year, 0 in 2018, and 0 in 2017...and was leading tackler in SoCon & All SoCon

Began lamenting (with my Coaching hat on) about how you get a kid to the point of being really productive for you...and...then...he gone! If he was a walk on, I’m sure there was A LOT of development put in by his Position Coach(es) and the S&C Coaches...and, of course, a lot of hard work...and ‘taking to’ his Coaching, on his part.

Just bein’ a sad Bear...and wishing for the days of...

Year1 - LEARN & get beat up...a lot
Year2 - Play a back-up role; get some good PT & learn what Game Reps are all about...maybe get a few Starts if injuries
Year3 - Starter...maybe pretty good, maybe very good; assist in development of your back-up(s)
Year4 - Veteran Starter, Primary Contributor, & Team Leader

It was better back then...despite the long walks to school, barefoot, in the snow, uphill both ways. Now, get off my lawn, SU DOG!

SU DOG
August 25th, 2020, 11:29 AM
I will pee first, LOL!