PDA

View Full Version : Ed McCaffrey Named New HC at Northern Colorado

ngineer
December 12th, 2019, 07:45 PM
Just saw on ESPN site the above announcement. Since his NFL days, he has been coaching in high school. I am assuming they will be keeping most of the staff or they are bring in some guys with recruiting experience at the college level. I hope he has success being from our Lehigh Valley where he starred at Allentown Central Catholic HS.

wapiti
December 12th, 2019, 11:31 PM
The Big Sky just got better.

footballer23
December 13th, 2019, 12:13 AM
Love it. Awesome player, awesome person. I really hope he brings Northern Colorado back to what they were in D2.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 13th, 2019, 07:01 AM
Love it. Awesome player, awesome person. I really hope he brings Northern Colorado back to what they were in D2.

Maybe if they were still D2.

Good luck to him, he'll need it.

dewey
December 13th, 2019, 07:45 AM
I saw something on his family about how he is coaching a team from the Denver area. He should be able to recruit well given his playing days and connections to the Denver high schools.

Big name hire for Northern Colorado.

Dewey

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 13th, 2019, 08:37 AM
This is a great hire by UNC imo. McCaffery is a great guy who should be able to assemble a high-quality FCS staff. UNC's struggles since moving to 1-AA/FCS have been surprising imo given their success in D2. Ed would be appear to have the resources to get things turned around if the administration and community let him do his thing.

When I was a young kid I got to see McCaffery play when he was in high school at Allentown Central Catholic. The Rock too....

What have been the issues regarding D1 football in Colorado? All three D1 schools would appear to be extremely appealing from afar but have struggled mightily the last 5-10 years. The scandal in Boulder during Barnett's time might have really been more significant than I originally thought. The Buffs were still a nationally relevant team when all that went down. Folsom field, their original uni's, Ralphie, great academic school, Boulder, the Front Range there's so much to sell. Fort Collins is great too! CSU should be a consistent G5 winner imo.

centennial
December 13th, 2019, 09:26 AM
McCaffrey served as the head coach at Valor Christian High School in Highlands Ranch, Colorado, for two seasons, including in 2018 when the Eagles won a state championship.

He ran a good High School program. I have heard of their team from a few folks.

centennial
December 13th, 2019, 09:32 AM
This is a great hire by UNC imo. McCaffery is a great guy who should be able to assemble a high-quality FCS staff. UNC's struggles since moving to 1-AA/FCS have been surprising imo given their success in D2. Ed would be appear to have the resources to get things turned around if the administration and community let him do his thing.

When I was a young kid I got to see McCaffery play when he was in high school at Allentown Central Catholic. The Rock too....

What have been the issues regarding D1 football in Colorado? All three D1 schools would appear to be extremely appealing from afar but have struggled mightily the last 5-10 years. The scandal in Boulder during Barnett's time might have really been more significant than I originally thought. The Buffs were still a nationally relevant team when all that went down. Folsom field, their original uni's, Ralphie, great academic school, Boulder, the Front Range there's so much to sell. Fort Collins is great too! CSU should be a consistent G5 winner imo.

Luck and mismanagement, CSU was good for a while before their coach ran to Florida (McElwain). Also the issue with the state and the legalized mmj, lot of students at these school use heavily. Having multiple pro sports teams also hurts. They also don't need football to drive enrollment because kids want to come to CO for mmj reasons.

Silenoz
December 13th, 2019, 10:55 AM
They're gonna need to give him like 5 years to build that **** up. Maybe he should bring his son on recruiting trips.

uni88
December 13th, 2019, 11:38 AM
Luck and mismanagement, CSU was good for a while before their coach ran to Florida (McElwain). Also the issue with the state and the legalized mmj, lot of students at these school use heavily. Having multiple pro sports teams also hurts. They also don't need football to drive enrollment because kids want to come to CO for mmj reasons.

While there are a lot of kids that go to CO for mmj that's not true for all of them. My oldest is at Mines for academics and my 2nd looked at CSU and UD but they weren't the right fit for him.

catbob
December 13th, 2019, 11:42 AM
Jerry Glanville 2.0.

FormerPokeCenter
December 13th, 2019, 01:48 PM
Colorado's collegiate football downturn coincides nicely with pot legalization...

Just sayin...maybe Colorado football players are too mellow to play with a nasty disposition?????

centennial
December 13th, 2019, 02:07 PM
While there are a lot of kids that go to CO for mmj that's not true for all of them. My oldest is at Mines for academics and my 2nd looked at CSU and UD but they weren't the right fit for him.

Your kids are fine. However, I have seen many students embrace the lifestyle too heavily or get kicked out. In moderation, like drinking, it's okay but out of state kids can go over board.

On topic both CU and CSU are great school and should have great teams, but somehow don't. I went to the CSU-CU game 2 years ago, and people were spitting and throwing bottles on each other.

School of mines has great engineering programs. I have worked with a few grads and they have always been bright. Of course they are much smaller school than most state schools, but in the Denver area they have good job prospects. DU is also a great private school, I feel like Fort Collins kind of reminds me of Fargo with mountains.