PDA

View Full Version : Touchdown celebration behavior and the FCS

bonarae
December 9th, 2019, 04:15 PM
Have there been any instances of excessive touchdown celebrations resulting in flags, particularly in the FCS? xconfusedx Or isn't this much of an issue here?

Professor Chaos
December 9th, 2019, 04:20 PM
Have there been any instances of excessive touchdown celebrations resulting in flags, particularly in the FCS? xconfusedx Or isn't this much of an issue here?
Not much of an issue at this level based on what I've seen. NDSU RB Ty Brooks got flagged for it in a game at WIU last year when, after scoring a TD, he ran over towards the WIU sideline and gave them a military salute. Not sure what he was thinking... I believe in the postgame it was reported that he didn't know what he was thinking either and he hasn't done anything similar since.

Nothing like the Egg Bowl debacle that I've seen at this level that's for sure. Personally, I prefer the Barry Sanders "act like you've been there before" approach after scoring over all the choreographed stuff they do in the NFL these days but maybe I'm just a curmudgeon.

kalm
December 9th, 2019, 04:24 PM
Not much of an issue at this level based on what I've seen. NDSU RB Ty Brooks got flagged for it in a game at WIU last year when, after scoring a TD, he ran over towards the WIU sideline and gave them a military salute. Not sure what he was thinking... I believe in the postgame it was reported that he didn't know what he was thinking either and he hasn't done anything similar since.

Nothing like the Egg Bowl debacle that I've seen at this level that's for sure. Personally, I prefer the Barry Sanders "act like you've been there before" approach after scoring over all the choreographed stuff they do in the NFL these days but maybe I'm just a curmudgeon.

Ladainian Tomlinson and Cooper Kupp come to mind. Just hand it to the ref, son.

Curmudgeons unite!

Bisonoline
December 9th, 2019, 04:27 PM

Curmudgeons unite!

Im with you.

Bison56
December 9th, 2019, 05:53 PM

Curmudgeons unite!

2nd this.

PantherRob82
December 9th, 2019, 06:11 PM
UNI got flagged for one this year.

Gil Dobie
December 9th, 2019, 06:12 PM

Curmudgeons unite!

Barry Sanders, act like you've been there before.

CHIP72
December 9th, 2019, 06:24 PM
FWIW, in the St. John's/Wheaton D3 quarterfinal playoff game this past Saturday, a Wheaton lineman who made like William "the Refrigerator" Perry back in the day and scored on a rushing touchdown to pull his team within 1 point with 9 seconds left in regulation. However, he spiked the ball after scoring, which resulted in an automatic unsportsmanlike foul penalty on Wheaton. The penalty made the extra point longer, and the Wheaton kicker missed the 35 yard extra point twice (there were offsetting penalties on both teams after the first attempt, so the kicker got another chance which he also missed).

JayJ79
December 9th, 2019, 06:28 PM
if a player was flagged for excessive celebration twice in a game, would that result in them being ejected?
or does that only apply to other unsportsmanlike penalties?

neverobeyed
December 9th, 2019, 06:29 PM
UNI got flagged for one this year.

Yep, hosting Western Illinois in the Dome. Deserved the penalty.

caribbeanhen
December 9th, 2019, 06:43 PM
Barry Sanders, act like you've been there before.

Problem with that is there’s only one Barry Sanders

Let these players express themselves, Artificial intelligence will be here soon enough we don’t need no robots on a football field

cx500d
December 9th, 2019, 06:44 PM
FWIW, in the St. John's/Wheaton D3 quarterfinal playoff game this past Saturday, a Wheaton lineman who made like William "the Refrigerator" Perry back in the day and scored on a rushing touchdown to pull his team within 1 point with 9 seconds left in regulation. However, he spiked the ball after scoring, which resulted in an automatic unsportsmanlike foul penalty on Wheaton. The penalty made the extra point longer, and the Wheaton kicker missed the 35 yard extra point twice (there were offsetting penalties on both teams after the first attempt, so the kicker got another chance which he also missed).
Based on the score, shoulda went for 2

POD Knows
December 9th, 2019, 07:03 PM

I liked it when Crockett blew a kiss to the Iowa State cheerleaders.

clenz
December 9th, 2019, 07:15 PM
Yep, hosting Western Illinois in the Dome. Deserved the penalty.Meh.

It was dumb but not really anything anyone should have been worked up about

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

JayJ79
December 9th, 2019, 07:37 PM
Based on the score, shoulda went for 2

going for 2 from the 17 yard line? (or would it be the 18? anyhow, 15 yards farther out than normal due to the penalty)

cx500d
December 9th, 2019, 07:40 PM
going for 2 from the 17 yard line? (or would it be the 18? anyhow, 15 yards farther out than normal due to the penalty)
I dont think there was much defense

WestCoastAggie
December 9th, 2019, 07:50 PM

Did you ever watch the 2016 Celebration Bowl? NCCU's receiver caught a TD pass with seconds left in the game to move the score to 9-10. However, he ripped off his helmet in the endzone and proceeded to throw up his Omega Psi Phi hooks, drawing a 15 yard taunting/excessive celebration penalty. Grambling accepted the penalty and had it applied to the FG try and NCCU missed the FG.

Laker
December 9th, 2019, 08:13 PM
Did you ever watch the 2016 Celebration Bowl? NCCU's receiver caught a TD pass with seconds left in the game to move the score to 9-10. However, he ripped off his helmet in the endzone and proceeded to throw up his Omega Psi Phi hooks, drawing a 15 yard personal yard penalty. Grambling accepted the penalty and had it applied to the FG try and NCCU missed the FG.

Of course the most famous this year is the Old Piss game, but it seems like this happens several times a year and always gets nationwide attention. So why don't players figure this out? You have all the time in the world to celebrate after the game. But yet it still happens.

cats2506
December 9th, 2019, 08:39 PM
Kassis got one for flexing at our own student section,

Professor Chaos
December 9th, 2019, 09:34 PM
Yeah, I saw that. Even as an admitted curmudgeon when it comes to touchdown celebrations I think not even allowing a ball spike after a TD is pretty draconian. What's next.... only allowing one hip pump in a touchdown celebration???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGJb2iLvOKE

WestCoastAggie
December 10th, 2019, 07:57 AM
My big question is why do kickers always seem to miss the tying or go-ahead XP after these excessive celebration/taunting penalties? It never fails.

ST_Lawson
December 10th, 2019, 08:29 AM
My big question is why do kickers always seem to miss the tying or go-ahead XP after these excessive celebration/taunting penalties? It never fails.

Laker
December 10th, 2019, 08:30 AM

David Bowie had a song that applied to this.

"Under Pressure".

walliver
December 10th, 2019, 12:19 PM
There's always Mercer's famous "Bowling Celebration"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWGwA3Lu3vo

Panther88
December 10th, 2019, 12:37 PM

I'm sorry but that celebration was on point.

When the big guys have an opportunity to score and they actually score, they SHOULD be allowed to celebrate. C'mon guys. Take the stick out of your asses. xsmhx

MSUBobcat
December 10th, 2019, 02:25 PM
I'm sorry but that celebration was on point.

When the big guys have an opportunity to score and they actually score, they SHOULD be allowed to celebrate. C'mon guys. Take the stick out of your asses. xsmhx

Agreed. "Act like you've been there before" should not apply when.... you've never been there before. And bowling? That's hardly taunting or disrespectful to the other team.

uni88
December 10th, 2019, 02:57 PM

That was awesome and the cartwheel was icing on the cake!

JayJ79
December 10th, 2019, 03:57 PM
Agreed. "Act like you've been there before" should not apply when.... you've never been there before. And bowling? That's hardly taunting or disrespectful to the other team.

the majority of excessive celebration penalties aren't taunting or disrespectful, but they're still flagged.

jmuwishyouhadadukedog
December 10th, 2019, 04:11 PM
JMU had a RB (Khalid Abdullah or Marcus Marshall, I dont remember which) get an excessive celebration penalty in 2016 for doing two pushups after scoring against NDSU in the semifinals

Laker
December 10th, 2019, 04:31 PM
JMU had a RB (Khalid Abdullah or Marcus Marshall, I dont remember which) get an excessive celebration penalty in 2016 for doing two pushups after scoring against NDSU in the semifinals

They might have flagged him for being four short.

POD Knows
December 10th, 2019, 05:52 PM
JMU had a RB (Khalid Abdullah or Marcus Marshall, I dont remember which) get an excessive celebration penalty in 2016 for doing two pushups after scoring against NDSU in the semifinalsI remember that, horrible call, he scored on a short pass and kind of ended up all the way down by the tunnel and did a couple quick push ups and they flagged him, weak as hell call. It happened right across from us. It was Abdullah.

Hammerhead
December 10th, 2019, 09:16 PM
I'm with you. I don't even like the "Superman" stuff after a big play or big celebrations just for making a tackle. The Bison seem to do that more than they used to. :(

Drblankstare
December 11th, 2019, 08:43 AM
Let the kids spike the ball, draw the line at team celebrations and dancing (unless its the Icky Shuffle or the Electric slide)

walliver
December 11th, 2019, 10:44 AM
I'm with you. I don't even like the "Superman" stuff after a big play or big celebrations just for making a tackle. The Bison seem to do that more than they used to. :(

Unfortunately, the modern generation of players has grown up watching this on TV. It is becoming more prevalent at all levels.

PAllen
December 11th, 2019, 12:10 PM
This happens fairly regularly in the Lehigh Lafayette game. Of course in those instances it usually is taunting. Spiking the ball, no problem. Shouting, fist pumps, high fives towards your own sideline or fans, no issue. Choreography - flag. Taunting opposition players or fans - flag. Not heading towards the sideline after your initial outburst and trying to hold a mass celebration on the field - flag. Push ups anywhere on the field or within direct view of the opposition - automatic flag. I've threatened coaches with ejections for repeatedly telling players to drop and give them 20 during blowout games.

jmufan999
December 11th, 2019, 12:51 PM
Daka got flagged last week for getting a sack and putting his hands on his hips. he evidently didn't move them quickly enough for the ref's liking. some of this stuff is so stupid.