PDA

View Full Version : UNI at South Dakota State

bonarae
December 1st, 2019, 10:56 PM
All-MVFC playoff matchup in the second round. Discuss.

Chalupa Batman
December 2nd, 2019, 12:37 AM
This game all depends on whether or not SDSU can hold on to the ball. If they don't turn the ball over, or avoid losing the turnover battle, they will win. UNI is 5th in the nation in turnover margin but SDSU had zero in the first meeting (one of only 2 games all year Jacks had none). They will have to force at least a couple in this game to have a chance IMO.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 2nd, 2019, 05:18 AM
Which UNI team shows up?

SDSU wins the rematch.

Professor Chaos
December 2nd, 2019, 08:47 AM
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49152500496_bd315609a6_o.jpg

The yearly averages probably aren't as useful since they just played 3 weeks prior to this matchup. In that game SDSU QB Keaton Heide had a fantastic game going 15-16 for 192 yards and 2 TDs. On the flip side Will McElvain had his worst game of the season turning it over 4 times. McElvain also fumbled 4 times last week (only losing 1) so that has to be a concern for UNI in this one. UNI does get their big receiver, Isaiah Weston, in this one and he didn't play in the first matchup. SDSU may also get a boost from from RBs Pierre Strong Jr (who exited early in that first matchup with UNI) or CJ Wilson (who didn't play).

Both teams are coming off of a pretty lackluster performance. The weather looks favorable for this time of year with a forecast high of 35, some decent wind (15-25mph), but no precip. I think SDSU has the better defense and a much better run game which should translate well to outdoor playoff football so I like them to win but there's a lot of variables in this one that could turn the game in UNI's favor as well.

clenz
December 2nd, 2019, 09:48 AM
Wait...you're telling me Will fumbled 4 times against San Diego?

When?

What game was I watching?

The one that was lost was an exchange issue with the jet motion guy, IIRC.

SUPharmacist
December 2nd, 2019, 10:27 AM
Nothing will surprise me in this game. I would think if UNI continues to struggle on offense SDSU will get the win. I feel like I never know what to expect from either of these teams, but hopefully it is an exciting competitive game.

ShowMeDecember
December 2nd, 2019, 10:53 AM

When?

You're right, the one lost was on the motion in the red zone. There is no way that he fumbled 4 times.

Bisonator
December 2nd, 2019, 10:56 AM
This one could go either way but I think SDSU is the better team. As long as they don't turn it over like they have been known to do in the past they should win at home. Will UNI Farley it up or will the Jacks turn it over. Either way Stig will be joosed.

JayJ79
December 2nd, 2019, 11:20 AM
When?
according to the official stats he did.
4 fumbles, 1 lost.

Q1 ~10:39 1-10 at UNI29 McElvain,Will rush for 9 yards to the UNI38, fumble forced by Vaivao, M, fumble by McElvain,Will recovered by UNI TEAM at UNI38.

Q2 ~14:00 2-7 at UNI32 McElvain,Will rush for loss of 4 yards to the UNI28, fumble forced by TEAM, fumble by McElvain,Will recovered by UNI McElvain,Will at UNI28 (Bergstrom, J).

Q2 ~3:34 2-8 at SD10 McElvain,Will rush for loss of 2 yards to the SD12, fumble forced by Vaivao, M, fumble by McElvain,Will recovered by SD Bergstrom, J at SD11.

Q3 ~13:00 3-15 at UNI08 McElvain,Will rush for loss of 3 yards to the UNI5, fumble forced by Kamaka, K, fumble by McElvain,Will recovered by UNI Allen,Trevor at UNI5.

clenz
December 2nd, 2019, 11:21 AM
I'm going to have to re-watch the game then because...I remember none of those other 3

Bisonator
December 2nd, 2019, 11:37 AM
First one looked like he was down before fumbling out of bounds. Other 3 were legit fumbles though. One was a fumbled snap.

ValleyChamp
December 2nd, 2019, 12:08 PM
UNI has to be at least +2 in the turnover battle to get this game. They can’t run the ball at all, and Weston is either out or will be very hobbled for this game. Outside of him catching 2-3 bombs a game, UNI’s offense is garbage.

Wild card is UNI TE Briley Moore. Has been out for the season and may be back now (he can play 3 more games). He’s probably the best TE in FCS.

Professor Chaos
December 2nd, 2019, 12:17 PM

When?

Was switching back and forth so I didn't see more than one myself but the ESPN box score has him with 4 fumbles (1 lost).

https://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=401185999

Definitely possible that's wrong... you'd know better than me since you watched the whole game.

clenz
December 2nd, 2019, 12:42 PM
according to the official stats he did.
4 fumbles, 1 lost.

Q1 ~10:39 1-10 at UNI29 McElvain,Will rush for 9 yards to the UNI38, fumble forced by Vaivao, M, fumble by McElvain,Will recovered by UNI TEAM at UNI38.

Q2 ~14:00 2-7 at UNI32 McElvain,Will rush for loss of 4 yards to the UNI28, fumble forced by TEAM, fumble by McElvain,Will recovered by UNI McElvain,Will at UNI28 (Bergstrom, J).

Q2 ~3:34 2-8 at SD10 McElvain,Will rush for loss of 2 yards to the SD12, fumble forced by Vaivao, M, fumble by McElvain,Will recovered by SD Bergstrom, J at SD11.

Q3 ~13:00 3-15 at UNI08 McElvain,Will rush for loss of 3 yards to the UNI5, fumble forced by Kamaka, K, fumble by McElvain,Will recovered by UNI Allen,Trevor at UNI5.
The first one wasn't a fumble. It wasn't reviewed because it went directly out of bounds. Had the reviewed it it wasn't a fumble

The second one was a bad snap as much as anything. Should he have handled it? Probably. Given the play call and the jet motion with it...meh

The third one is the one I remember and likely cost 7 points. It was, however, a hell of a hit by a free run USD defender. Will had both hands on it, but it was facemask to ball by a free defender.

The fourth one I'd say should have been blown dead due to forward progress. He had 3 guys wrapped around him with all forward progress stopped. Another guy comes in after Will has been wrapped and stopped and pulled it out.

So...a bad snap, 1 that for sure wasn't a fumble, 1 probably shouldn't be called a fumble (but wasn't reviewed because UNI recovered at the same yard line as the fumble) and one that was a fumble.

Okay.

Professor Chaos
December 2nd, 2019, 12:51 PM
Sounds like I spoke too soon in regards to Weston being available for UNI... he got dinged up again in the San Diego game... was apparently in crutches with ice on his ribs in the locker room postgame.

Jacks fans, any news out of the Stig-meister regarding the availability of Wilson or Strong Jr?

clenz
December 2nd, 2019, 12:52 PM
Sounds like I spoke too soon in regards to Weston being available for UNI... he got dinged up again in the San Diego game.

Jacks fans, any news out of the Stig-meister regarding the availability of Wilson or Strong Jr?
I think he should be able to go, but won't be 100%

Landed strangely as he was screwed out of a 50 yard catch in the 4th quarter.

JayJ79
December 2nd, 2019, 01:07 PM
I think he should be able to go, but won't be 100%
Landed strangely as he was screwed out of a 50 yard catch in the 4th quarter.
that reminds me, I meant to watch that play on the espn3 broadcast. I couldn't really see it that well in the stadium.

clenz
December 2nd, 2019, 01:15 PM
that reminds me, I meant to watch that play on the espn3 broadcast. I couldn't really see it that well in the stadium.I just watched it since I had the game open. It was called a catch, should have stayed a catch. If it was called incomplete should have stayed incomplete. For it to be overturned was much. I was standing by the support pillar on the goal line in that corner on that play - nervous energy had me need to get away from people. Happened right even with me. I couldn't believe it was overturned.

Also, UNI was screwed out of a first down on that play. That was on third down and UNI punted right after that overturn. Meanwhile Weston was gropedhttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/EKzcCAfWwAEhhH3? the entire way down the field.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EKzcCAfWwAEhhH3https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EKzcCAfWwAEhhH3?format=jpg&name=medium

Chalupa Batman
December 2nd, 2019, 02:01 PM
Sounds like I spoke too soon in regards to Weston being available for UNI... he got dinged up again in the San Diego game... was apparently in crutches with ice on his ribs in the locker room postgame.

I had read that Wilson was a game time decision against USD so would assume he should be good to go. I haven't heard anything about Strong yet other than optimism that he will be able to play also.

CappinHard
December 2nd, 2019, 02:37 PM
UNI has to be at least +2 in the turnover battle to get this game. They can’t run the ball at all, and Weston is either out or will be very hobbled for this game. Outside of him catching 2-3 bombs a game, UNI’s offense is garbage.

Wild card is UNI TE Briley Moore. Has been out for the season and may be back now (he can play 3 more games). He’s probably the best TE in FCS.

Turnovers are definitely the key to this game. Imo, here are the likely outcomes based on the turnover margin for SDSU:

-3 lose by 7-10 points
-2 lose by a FG
-1 win by a FG
0 win by 7-10 points
+1 or more, win by 10+

The defense is really good and if not put in bad positions, will dominate. The offense is getting better, but not good enough to overcome a 2 score deficit against a good team if they dig themselves a hole by turning the ball over too many times.

clenz
December 2nd, 2019, 02:53 PM
Turnovers are definitely the key to this game. Imo, here are the likely outcomes based on the turnover margin for SDSU:

-3 lose by 7-10 points
-2 lose by a FG
-1 win by a FG
0 win by 7-10 points
+1 or more, win by 10+

The defense is really good and if not put in bad positions, will dominate. The offense is getting better, but not good enough to overcome a 2 score deficit against a good team if they dig themselves a hole by turning the ball over too many times.If it comes down to a FG you're probably ****ed.

Vinatieri has been pretty trash this year

Actually, looking at stats - outside of his sophomore year he's been bad his entire career. 53% for his career outside of his Sophomore season.

If his name wasn't Vinatieri he's benched...right?

neverobeyed
December 2nd, 2019, 03:04 PM

Weston, McShane, Hoosman, Kolvarec are four very big question marks for UNI.

McShane dressed for Western Illinois in the last game of the regular season and according to the participation log did play against San Diego - I don't remember seeing him on the field.

Weston looked a bit gimpy for the San Diego game and went out injured.

Hoosman's running style is better what UNI's line can do, but has been out with the goal to have him back for playoffs (did not play against San Diego).

Kolvarec is a great linebacker - left the game against San Diego.

Moore - if healthy and practiced - could be huge. He is not only a great receiver but also adds better blocking as a TE than a converted T (UNI's number two TE - Bohr - is also out for the season).

Healthy, UNI might've won 9 games this season and been a contender to run deep. The defense is solid. But the punting is poor and the OLine - despite the size - cannot run block and McElvoy relies on his running to avoid rushers.

JacksFan40
December 2nd, 2019, 03:05 PM
If Wilson and Strong are healthy we should win. If they're not UNI has a very good chance, unless they play like last week in which case it's a battle of who wants to lose more.
Also our QB Heide is banged up as well so that's always good news.

CappinHard
December 2nd, 2019, 03:06 PM
If it comes down to a FG you're probably ****ed.

Actually, looking at stats - outside of his sophomore year he's been bad his entire career. 53% for his career outside of his Sophomore season.

Well, he did get benched this season. They had an open competition after he sat a game and he won that apparently.

Keep in mind most of his kicks are outdoors and a lot are in bad weather, so he has that disadvantage. Having said that, he was very good sophomore year, average his junior year, and this year he has had the yips a bit.

Overall a pretty average career for a college kicker.

Professor Chaos
December 2nd, 2019, 03:07 PM

I never heard what happened in the Illinois St game but Vinatieri ceded both XPs and FGs to the backup Cole Frahm in that game. The odd thing was it didn't seem like it was due to injury because Vinatieri came into the game late in the first half (after Frahm had already made a 43 yard FG) to attempted an ill-fated fake FG that lost 9 yards and ended in a fumble recovery by Illinois St. I doubt you'd have your kicker run a fake FG if he's injured.

So he may have been benched once already this year.

EDIT: Just saw CappinHard's post... makes sense.

CappinHard
December 2nd, 2019, 03:21 PM

According to who? This is the first I've heard of this.

Thumper 76
December 2nd, 2019, 03:50 PM
If Wilson and Strong are healthy we should win. If they're not UNI has a very good chance, unless they play like last week in which case it's a battle of who wants to lose more.

News to me on Heide. And SDSU won without Strong and Wilson in the first matchup, in case anyone forgot. I agree with Cappin, fumbles will be the key to this game and I don’t feel great about those in a December game. The amount of fumbles SDSU has coughed up this season have been mind boggling. It will either be cleaned up or it will cost the Jacks their season this game or the next.

People forget that SDSU has lost every game besides the ISUr game by one score or less. Fumbles cost SDSU three of their four losses. One that cost them the game at Minnesota, 4 fumbles lost against USeD, and 3 fumbles against ISUr. Only twice has SDSU been outgained by their opponent, and one of those games SDSU gave up four turnovers (3 in a row). If SDSU hangs on to the ball they are one of the most dangerous teams in the bracket IMO. Unfortunately for UNI, they were one of the games where the Jacks actually did that. They’ve fumbled 23 times and lost 15, which blows my mind for a college team. I don’t have much faith in that issue being fixed after having the problem all season long unfortunately.

Kabooom
December 2nd, 2019, 05:13 PM
SDSU has a good offense and great defense/ Coach Stig a class act... Uni plays good defense but are teathered by their Farley-ineffective offensive unit..

Uni's going to get rolled...Buddies Roy and Al will be there first-hand to witness... the big blow-out...

Minnesota lucky to only have 2 losses to date..

JayJ79
December 2nd, 2019, 07:30 PM
I just watched it since I had the game open. It was called a catch, should have stayed a catch. If it was called incomplete should have stayed incomplete. For it to be overturned was much. I was standing by the support pillar on the goal line in that corner on that play - nervous energy had me need to get away from people. Happened right even with me. I couldn't believe it was overturned.

looks like a catch to me. looked like a catch to the official looking at it in real time too. can't believe they overturned it. then again I can't believe they couldn't see the defender grabbing his jersey the whole time or the holding occurring all game in general.

Not that it really makes any difference in the end. Weston would be just as injured had the original call stood, and UNI won the game either way. I suppose the gamblers can gripe about it, but who cares.

Professor Chaos
December 2nd, 2019, 07:45 PM
News to me on Heide. And SDSU won without Strong and Wilson in the first matchup, in case anyone forgot. I agree with Cappin, fumbles will be the key to this game and I don’t feel great about those in a December game. The amount of fumbles SDSU has coughed up this season have been mind boggling. It will either be cleaned up or it will cost the Jacks their season this game or the next.

People forget that SDSU has lost every game besides the ISUr game by one score or less. Fumbles cost SDSU three of their four losses. One that cost them the game at Minnesota, 4 fumbles lost against USeD, and 3 fumbles against ISUr. Only twice has SDSU been outgained by their opponent, and one of those games SDSU gave up four turnovers (3 in a row). If SDSU hangs on to the ball they are one of the most dangerous teams in the bracket IMO. Unfortunately for UNI, they were one of the games where the Jacks actually did that. They’ve fumbled 23 times and lost 15, which blows my mind for a college team. I don’t have much faith in that issue being fixed after having the problem all season long unfortunately.
They won without Strong and Wilson but they were +4 in turnovers and Heide went 15-16 for 192. If they can do that again they won't need Strong or Wilson in this one either but I doubt that happens again.

TennBison
December 2nd, 2019, 09:03 PM

It was funny listening to him during the Bison game when they interviewed him during the week. He was bragging about going to the NFL and breaking all the current kicking records. How about doing better in the college game first. He might be the best they have, but the last name does carry a lot of weight.

Thumper 76
December 2nd, 2019, 10:40 PM
They won without Strong and Wilson but they were +4 in turnovers and Heide went 15-16 for 192. If they can do that again they won't need Strong or Wilson in this one either but I doubt that happens again.

Sure, I agree. I don’t think they need a game like that necessarily out of Heide either. The last game was a bad loss, but Heide was 28/37 for 307 w 0 INTs. Granted, the yote defense isn’t good but people pretending the SDSU offense is completely inept or one dimensional without those two are making an assumption IMO. Are they better with them? Well, of course. Are they the Redbirds without Davis bad? No.

ElCid
December 3rd, 2019, 07:33 AM
I really hate these playoff rematches of the regular season. We have had them in the SOCON and the familiarity of the teams detracts from the playoff intrigue. It is what it is, and it will be a good game between two good teams, but I really wish they would make an attempt to avoid them at all costs in the first two rounds. All that said, I think this might be closer than some think given the familiarity and recent game between them. I don't see a repeat of the regular season.

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2019, 08:37 AM
Sure, I agree. I don’t think they need a game like that necessarily out of Heide either. The last game was a bad loss, but Heide was 28/37 for 307 w 0 INTs. Granted, the yote defense isn’t good but people pretending the SDSU offense is completely inept or one dimensional without those two are making an assumption IMO. Are they better with them? Well, of course. Are they the Redbirds without Davis bad? No.
Agreed, I think Heide is a better passer than most people give him credit for.

Do you think there's going to be a competition between Heide and Gibbs next year for the starting QB job? Does it depend on how deep the Jacks go in this year's playoffs?

CappinHard
December 3rd, 2019, 10:13 AM

Do you think there's going to be a competition between Heide and Gibbs next year for the starting QB job? Does it depend on how deep the Jacks go in this year's playoffs?

That's an interesting topic. I think there will be an open competition, but as long as Gibbs makes a full recovery, I see him winning that competition. His down field passing is that much better than Heide. Also I think he's a bigger threat to run the ball. You just can't teach the physical attributes that Gibbs has, and he was showing to have the mental side of things as well.

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2019, 10:20 AM

I think the Jacks can go just as far in the playoffs with Heide as they would've with Gibbs. If they get past this week, to have any real shot the rest of the way they will need Strong to come back, well, strong. Getting Wilson back would be nice too, but IMO having Strong healthy is a must.

I think even by this point there has to be an open competition next season for the QB job. Sucks for Gibbs, but good for Heide, as Gibbs' play wasn't going to lose himself the job. But it is what it is. Many other schools would love to have the same problem.

Bisonator
December 3rd, 2019, 12:38 PM
SDSU has a good offense and great defense/ Coach Stig a class act... Uni plays good defense but are teathered by their Farley-ineffective offensive unit..

Uni's going to get rolled...Buddies Roy and Al will be there first-hand to witness... the big blow-out...

Minnesota lucky to only have 2 losses to date..
Don't let his act fool ya.

CappinHard
December 3rd, 2019, 01:03 PM
Don't let his act fool ya.

https://media.giphy.com/media/dEdmW17JnZhiU/giphy.gif

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2019, 01:45 PM
That's an interesting topic. I think there will be an open competition, but as long as Gibbs makes a full recovery, I see him winning that competition. His down field passing is that much better than Heide. Also I think he's a bigger threat to run the ball. You just can't teach the physical attributes that Gibbs has, and he was showing to have the mental side of things as well.
That would make sense. Another benefit if Gibbs wins the job is they can try to redshirt Heide as the backup. Put the 3rd stringer in for any blowouts but if Gibbs gets dinged up with a game still in doubt or has to miss a game or two they've got 4 games to use Heide in without having to burn his redshirt (again). I'm sure they'd prefer to get Gibbs and Heide out of the same eligibility cycle if they can since both will be sophomores next year.

Chalupa Batman
December 3rd, 2019, 02:18 PM

A quick note before talking about the fumbles. Bill Barnwell, who writes about the NFL for ESPN, often writes about statistical regression, including recovering fumbles. There’s a bit of detail in it, but basically recovering fumbles isn’t really a skill but a bit of luck. A team can expect to recover 50-55% of their own fumbles over the long run (I’m assuming it’s the same for FCS). That can vary in-season for a few games or over a whole season. Essentially, it’s like a coin flip: even if you come up heads 5 times in a row, the odds of each flip going forward are still 50/50

The amount of fumbles for the Jacks has really only been an issue the last 5 games. The first 7 games the Jacks fumbled 1.57 times per game. In the last 5 games that rate has jumped to 2.4 times per game. Compared to the other seeded teams in this years field the 1st 7 games are a little high but not outrageous. Cumulatively they fumbled on average 1.2 times per game, with 3 teams fumbling less than once per game. James Madison fumbled 1.75 times per game and Sacramento State 1.92 times per game.

What has really compounded the increase in fumbles over the last 5 games is the bad luck they’ve had in recovering them. In the 1st seven games the Jacks fumbled 11 times and lost 6, meaning they recovered 5 themselves. They probably could expect to have recovered one more, but not terribly out of line from expectation. In the last 5 games however they have fumbled 12 times and recovered only 3 themselves, when they should expect to have recovered 6 or 7 of them.

How you look at that going forward depends if you’re an optimist or a pessimist. The optimist will say that it should be more normal from here on out, while the pessimist might say the trend will continue until next year. Personally, I think both the number of fumbles and the rate at which they lose them will come down, which will make them a tough out.

IBleedYellow
December 3rd, 2019, 02:29 PM
Stig can't beat the same team twice in a single season.

Don't mind the sample size or team.

CappinHard
December 3rd, 2019, 03:02 PM

xrolleyesxxdrunkyx

cx500d
December 3rd, 2019, 08:21 PM

He's proven that a few times

CappinHard
December 4th, 2019, 12:13 PM

A few?

Bisonator
December 4th, 2019, 01:58 PM
A few?
Yes

uni88
December 4th, 2019, 02:26 PM

You had to go and jinx it. Now UNI needs a POD Knows Bookit guaranteeing an SDSU victory to overcome the jinx.

xsmiley_wix

CappinHard
December 4th, 2019, 03:14 PM
Yes

Go ahead and check how many times SDSU has lost to a team in the playoffs that they beat in the regular season.

cx500d
December 4th, 2019, 08:00 PM
Go ahead and check how many times SDSU has lost to a team in the playoffs that they beat in the regular season.
You are right, I forgot about stigs record 10 turnover game

Bisonator
December 4th, 2019, 08:15 PM

Forgot you guys lost both games in 2014. Guess you really do suck.xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 5th, 2019, 06:30 AM
Guesses on attendance if they weather is nice? Looks like nice weather on Saturday.

CappinHard
December 5th, 2019, 09:56 AM
Guesses on attendance if they weather is nice? Looks like nice weather on Saturday.

I'm guessing 3-4k. It will look like less on TV because a lot of people are opting for club, loge, and suite options. I've talked to a bunch of people who have season tickets that aren't sitting in their normal spot because they're going with one of those. I wonder what the capacity of those adds to the overall capacity. I'm hoping for 5k, but I think that's a stretch.

PantherRob82
December 5th, 2019, 10:14 AM
2 years ago in the same round I feel like we had a little bit warmer weather And the attendance was not good. Like you said though, I think people we're definitely looking for some warmer seats.

CappinHard
December 5th, 2019, 10:48 AM
2 years ago in the same round I feel like we had a little bit warmer weather And the attendance was not good. Like you said though, I think people we're definitely looking for some warmer seats.

I just looked at that game and it was 54 degrees and attendance is listed at 7518, which surprised me.

Chalupa Batman
December 5th, 2019, 10:48 AM
I'm guessing 3-4k. It will look like less on TV because a lot of people are opting for club, loge, and suite options. I've talked to a bunch of people who have season tickets that aren't sitting in their normal spot because they're going with one of those. I wonder what the capacity of those adds to the overall capacity. I'm hoping for 5k, but I think that's a stretch.

I think it will be more than that. 2 years ago against UNI was 7,518 and 3 years ago against Villanova was 6,154, my guess is somewhere in between but closer to 7,500.

Last years was so bad because of the blizzard that came in coupled with the fact the men's basketball team was playing at US Bank Stadium the same night.

RabidRabbit
December 5th, 2019, 02:19 PM
SDSU played and beat Duquesne twice in the same year. So, yes, have done it.

Bisonator
December 5th, 2019, 02:48 PM
Duquesne? xrolleyesx

KUlawJack
December 5th, 2019, 02:50 PM
Matt Zimmer, beat writer for Jacks, tweeted that Pierre Strong Jr. will not be playing on Saturday.

Evolution Prime
December 5th, 2019, 02:57 PM

Actually, we played Duquesne in the regular season in 2017 and in the playoffs in 2018.

RabidRabbit
December 5th, 2019, 02:58 PM
Duquesne? xrolleyesx
Only have 3 choices of 2x/year opponents - NDSU, Duquesne, and UNI. In several of the cases, SDSU hadn't won the first game either.

Dang! Can't even get credit vs Duquesne.

PantherRob82
December 5th, 2019, 05:56 PM
I just looked at that game and it was 54 degrees and attendance is listed at 7518, which surprised me.

That is very surprising

achrist70
December 6th, 2019, 02:16 PM
If UNI wants any chance they have to get a defensive score. If both teams were playing on the same amount of rest I would like UNI's chances but that extra week is huge.

cx500d
December 6th, 2019, 02:19 PM
If UNI wants any chance they have to get a defensive score. If both teams were playing on the same amount of rest I would like UNI's chances but that extra week is huge.

Maybe SDSU has a 10-turnover game coming up

CappinHard
December 6th, 2019, 04:09 PM
Maybe SDSU has a 10-turnover game coming up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BFtr8hRVbU

clenz
December 6th, 2019, 04:21 PM
I'm in NW Iowa in prep for tomorrow. It's 20 degrees colder and much snowier than the house I left 5 hours ago.

This is why I left

It's dumb.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

JayJ79
December 6th, 2019, 11:32 PM
I'm in NE Iowa in prep for tomorrow. It's 20 degrees colder and much snowier than the house I left 5 hours ago.

This is why I left

It's dumb.

what's going on in NE Iowa tomorrow?

CappinHard
December 6th, 2019, 11:38 PM
I'm in NE Iowa in prep for tomorrow. It's 20 degrees colder and much snowier than the house I left 5 hours ago.

This is why I left

It's dumb.

Keeps out the riff raff quite effectively though.

Thumper 76
December 7th, 2019, 06:03 AM
what's going on in NE Iowa tomorrow?

He comin. He tailgatin. He drinkin. He freezin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clenz
December 7th, 2019, 08:07 AM
Keeps out the riff raff quite effectively though.Try harder next time, bitch. I'm still here*

In that I'm still an hour outside of Brookings but getting close

CappinHard
December 7th, 2019, 09:07 AM
Try harder next time, bitch. I'm still here*

In that I'm still an hour outside of Brookings but getting close

xlolx I'll turn down the thermostat next time. Looking forward to meeting another AGS dude. xdrunkyx At least you'll have a good time while watching UNI play their last game this year.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 7th, 2019, 09:12 AM
xlolx I'll turn down the thermostat next time. Looking forward to meeting another AGS dude. xdrunkyx At least you'll have a good time while watching UNI play their last game this year.

SDSU wins this game. UNI's offense is too inconsistent.

POD Knows
December 7th, 2019, 09:31 AM
You had to go and jinx it. Now UNI needs a POD Knows Bookit guaranteeing an SDSU victory to overcome the jinx.

xsmiley_wixThere is no way that UNI beats SDSU in Brookings, the only way UNI scores given their dog**** offense is with a defensive touchdowns and they aren't going to score enough of those to win. SDSU 24 UNI 7, bet the ranch, bet the wife, kids and the dog and wager your very soul on an SDSU win #BOOKIT

caribbeanhen
December 7th, 2019, 09:33 AM
looks like I'll be able to catch an hour of this game, If still awake will be switching over to the great state of Montana for the games out West.... I mean if it's gonna be cold at least have some mountains in the background.....

Lorne_Malvo
December 7th, 2019, 10:53 AM
This could be a very close and entertaining game!
Best matchup this weekend imo.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 7th, 2019, 11:33 AM
I think UNI gets revenge 27-21. This has OT potential....

Houndawg
December 7th, 2019, 11:35 AM
There is no way that UNI beats SDSU in Brookings, the only way UNI scores given their dog**** offense is with a defensive touchdowns and they aren't going to score enough of those to win. SDSU 24 UNI 7, bet the ranch, bet the wife, kids and the dog and wager your very soul on an SDSU win #BOOKIT

Prime upset time

POD Knows
December 7th, 2019, 12:10 PM
Prime upset time
No upset here. UNI is completely lost on offense. They might be the worst offensive team left in the playoffs. Jacks roll #BOOKIT.

Schism55
December 7th, 2019, 12:14 PM
https://twitter.com/argusmattz/status/1203359630912569345
https://twitter.com/Nelley13/status/1203358578008109058

Daytripper
December 7th, 2019, 01:16 PM
SDSU up 7-0.

ElCid
December 7th, 2019, 01:17 PM
The crowd here looks almost as bad as the JMU game.

UNI looks pretty lethargic so far.

CappinHard
December 7th, 2019, 01:25 PM
The crowd here looks almost as bad as the JMU game.

UNI looks pretty lethargic so far.

Obligatory reminder: camera shows the side of the field that's more empty.

I'm guessing 5-6k.

Daytripper
December 7th, 2019, 01:26 PM
10-0 SDSU

Daytripper
December 7th, 2019, 01:34 PM
Interception Jacks. UNI looks disinterested.

ElCid
December 7th, 2019, 01:36 PM
Obligatory reminder: camera shows the side of the field that's more empty.

I'm guessing 5-6k.

Yeah, they showed both sides earlier in game. Other side looked fairly sparse as well. It was early though and folks might have still been coming in. I get the cold though. It looks pretty chilly.

Ronin62
December 7th, 2019, 01:47 PM
Jackrabbits will win. UNI has no offense or pass defense.

Drblankstare
December 7th, 2019, 02:00 PM
Just an unreal play by 44 for the UNI D. Huge hit and forced fumble

ElCid
December 7th, 2019, 02:05 PM
Wow, the UNI QB is really bad. Makes some really bad decisions.

Lorne_Malvo
December 7th, 2019, 02:06 PM
Can SDSU break their 10 turnovers in 1 game record today? Perhaps!

Bison56
SDSU just giving the ball away every chance they get.

Lehigh'98
Ugly game. Will UNI get any points off all these turnovers?

Schism55
December 7th, 2019, 02:07 PM
SDSU more turnovers that UNI points??

Bisonator
December 7th, 2019, 02:07 PM
Jack's doing what they do best in big games. Turnovers, turnovers everywhere!

Ronin62
December 7th, 2019, 02:13 PM
Don't worry the UNI offense has no idea what to do with a turnover. Farley has no idea about offense.

JayJ79
December 7th, 2019, 03:05 PM
if a FG is blocked and the blocked ball goes across the LoS and is covered up by the defensive player, does the team get the ball where it was recovered or in the same spot that a regular missed FG would result in?

Ronin62
December 7th, 2019, 03:05 PM
after a fg block, UNI comes up with no imagination on play calling

Ronin62
December 7th, 2019, 03:07 PM
So ejection? for targeting

Chalupa Batman
December 7th, 2019, 03:15 PM
What conference are these refs from?

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

JayJ79
December 7th, 2019, 03:22 PM
What conference are these refs from?

Big South, I believe.

Ronin62
December 7th, 2019, 03:24 PM
Delay of game, illegal procedure. 2nd game of the playoffs and still making silly mistakes...

Ronin62
December 7th, 2019, 03:25 PM
Wow, what stupid play calling on UNI. Run the same play that you just had an illegal procedure on.

Punt coming

JayJ79
December 7th, 2019, 03:28 PM
so we've had UNI called "Northern Illinois" and SDSU called "San Diego State"

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 7th, 2019, 03:44 PM
UNI inside the SDSU 10!!

Sycamore62
December 7th, 2019, 03:48 PM
These announcers!?!?!?!? Maybe uni should go for it in a tied game on 4th and goal from the 1 in a tied game with 2 min left!?!?!?!?

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 7th, 2019, 03:49 PM
FG good! Jacks have 2 minutes to keep their season alive....

dewey
December 7th, 2019, 03:54 PM
UNI beating SDSU 13-10 1 minute to go 4th quarter.

Dewey

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 7th, 2019, 03:56 PM
I think the shadow/sun cost the UNI DB a pick to end it....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 7th, 2019, 03:58 PM
UNI holds! Panthers will head to Harrisonburg....

dewey
UNI upsets SDSU in Brookings.

Well at least the Jackrabbits season didn't end in Fargo this year.

Deweyhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191207/61a5f190ddb9b98be63e6c724df16815.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Bisonator
Wow congrats Panthers!

JacksFan40
December 7th, 2019, 04:12 PM
Congrats UNI, we played like dogcrap and didn’t deserve to win.
I’ll say it once again, FIRE STIG!!!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 7th, 2019, 04:17 PM

SDSU needs to shake things up if they want to be a serious contender nationally. They seem to be stuck in a rut as a program. Starting to feel like the Midwest UNH.

IBleedYellow
December 7th, 2019, 04:19 PM

As I said.

Redbird 4th & short
December 7th, 2019, 04:20 PM
congrats to UNI .. winning big game on road despite the injuries ... impressive.

More MVFC playoff cannibalism .. both teams have had great seasons. Too bad they had to play in round of 16 and not round of 8 or later.

Houndawg
December 7th, 2019, 04:26 PM
Prime upset time

xcoffeex

JacksFan40
December 7th, 2019, 04:32 PM
SDSU needs to shake things up if they want to be a serious contender nationally. They seem to be stuck in a rut as a program. Starting to feel like the Midwest UNH.
We won’t do a damn thing. Nobody in high level positions will fire Stig because “he’s such a good guy.” We will never win a national title with him. Hell its been over 20 years and he’s won 2 conference titles.

F'N Hawks
December 7th, 2019, 04:32 PM
congrats to UNI .. winning big game on road despite the injuries ... impressive.

More MVFC playoff cannibalism .. both teams have had great seasons. Too bad they had to play in round of 16 and not round of 8 or later.

What did SDSU show you of late that makes you think they would've beat anybody today?

clenz
December 7th, 2019, 04:52 PM
To everyone ****ting on UNI

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191207/deb5b0d3b25a54956e97d6682dabe30d.gif

dewey
December 7th, 2019, 04:55 PM
To everyone ****ting on UNIhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191207/deb5b0d3b25a54956e97d6682dabe30d.gif

Good work with the Stone Cold GIF Clenz!

Dewey

Thumper 76
December 7th, 2019, 05:14 PM
There is no way that UNI beats SDSU in Brookings, the only way UNI scores given their dog**** offense is with a defensive touchdowns and they aren't going to score enough of those to win. SDSU 24 UNI 7, bet the ranch, bet the wife, kids and the dog and wager your very soul on an SDSU win #BOOKIT
I ****ing hate you

SDSU just giving the ball away every chance they get.
Sums up the ****ing season

We’re you at the game?

uni88
December 7th, 2019, 05:33 PM

No upset here. UNI is completely lost on offense. They might be the worst offensive team left in the playoffs. Jacks roll #BOOKIT.

I owe you 2 beverages of your choice if and when we meet.

Maybe in Eugene next season?

Green1
December 7th, 2019, 05:53 PM
I owe you 2 beverages of your choice if and when we meet.

Maybe in Eugene next season?

Collusion!!!!

Tazman2664
December 7th, 2019, 05:58 PM

LOL, send the wife and kids over. And don't mess with her lips, I have got use for them.

Who in their right minds would say such a thing? Tell your wife you laid a bet on her and let me know what she says to that. LOL ROF BMG LMAO, your family is not proud of you.

RowdyRabbit
December 7th, 2019, 06:06 PM
Good job UNI for coming to Brookings and beating the Jacks. As a Jacks fan, that was a frustrating game to be at...yet it kinds of summed up the season well.

I was sure we were going to lose it on a fumble or a missed FG.

mmiller_34
December 7th, 2019, 06:11 PM
I called this one two weeks ago. SDSU caught the turnover bug vs Illinois State and couldn’t shake it.

Lost 3 of our last 4 games —- 11 turnovers in those losses.

Glad this season is over. The last month and a half was rough.

PantherRob82
December 7th, 2019, 06:30 PM
You wanted to lose more than we did today.

JacksFan40
December 7th, 2019, 07:03 PM
I ****ing hate you

Sums up the ****ing season

We’re you at the game?

Yes I was, we finally finished corn a week ago and decided to come for the playoffs.

RowdyRabbit
December 7th, 2019, 07:28 PM
You wanted to lose more than we did today.

Yeah just as football fan in general, that was a frustrating game to watch.

Hopefully the uglies are out of your teams system and you make some noise at JMU.

The UNI drive to start the 2nd half was pretty nice though.

Derby City Duke
December 7th, 2019, 07:35 PM
Congratulatoins to the Panthers. See you next week in the 'burg!

POD Knows
December 7th, 2019, 08:33 PM
LOL, send the wife and kids over. And don't mess with her lips, I have got use for them.

Who in their right minds would say such a thing? Tell your wife you laid a bet on her and let me know what she says to that. LOL ROF BMG LMAO, your family is not proud of you.
You are an idiot. If you don’t get the shot, just shut the hell up.

CappinHard
December 7th, 2019, 09:31 PM

-3 lose by 7-10 points
-2 lose by a FG
-1 win by a FG
0 win by 7-10 points
+1 or more, win by 10+

The defense is really good and if not put in bad positions, will dominate. The offense is getting better, but not good enough to overcome a 2 score deficit against a good team if they dig themselves a hole by turning the ball over too many times.

https://i.giphy.com/media/6cFcUiCG5eONW/giphy.gif

dewey
December 7th, 2019, 10:21 PM
You are an idiot. If you don’t get the shot, just shut the hell up.

Rookies.

Dewey

POD Knows
December 7th, 2019, 10:37 PM
Rookies.

DeweyYea, he should get the newcomer of the year award for here.

BisonFan02
December 7th, 2019, 10:41 PM

We don't care. I wasn't even concerned at first either. :D

POD Knows
December 7th, 2019, 10:56 PM
We don't care. I wasn't even concerned at first either. :DTazman needs help with paragraphs and context. He is new, we need to give him a pass for now. It is like I said, he doesn't get the shot, but that didn't appear to give him pause.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 7th, 2019, 10:59 PM

Hey new guy. The family **** don't play here. Don't do it again.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 7th, 2019, 11:04 PM
Tazman needs help with paragraphs and context. He is new, we need to give him a pass for now. It is like I said, he doesn't get the shot, but that didn't appear to give him pause.

If and when I've ever had the chance to converse with a fairly new guy in pm's because things got a bit out of hand and so forth I always basically state it this way. We all sort of know of each other for the most part and there is a lot of shtick you might not get at first. Keep your powder dry for a while until you know the lay of the land.

That family crap though...no f'n way on that crap anymore for me around here. Sick of seeing that crap and from all I've seen we've had very little of it and been better for it.

POD Knows
December 7th, 2019, 11:07 PM
If and when I've ever had the chance to converse with a fairly new guy in pm's because things got a bit out of hand and so forth I always basically state it this way. We all sort of know of each other for the most part and there is a lot of shtick you might not get at first. Keep your powder dry for a while until you know the lay of the land.

That family crap though...no f'n way on that crap anymore for me around here. Sick of seeing that crap and from all I've seen we've had very little of it and been better for it.Cool, I am just amazed that he took my BOOKIT post literally, I didn't think anybody was that stupid. :D Also, I am not offended by what he said but what he said was pretty, well, interesting.

Chalupa Batman
December 7th, 2019, 11:22 PM
Cool, I am just amazed that he took my BOOKIT post literally, I didn't think anybody was that stupid. :D Also, I am not offended by what he said but what he said was pretty, well, interesting.

You don't internet enough

POD Knows
December 7th, 2019, 11:27 PM
You don't internet enoughYea, I really only internet here, but I always figured that internet stupid is pretty much the same wherever you go. I like the stupid here because we are also talking about football from time to time. xnodx

Chalupa Batman
December 8th, 2019, 12:02 AM
Yea, I really only internet here, but I always figured that internet stupid is pretty much the same wherever you go. I like the stupid here because we are also talking about football from time to time. xnodx

It's not as rampant here but yes, it is the same everywhere. I guess I internet too much. lol

POD Knows
December 8th, 2019, 11:43 AM
It's not as rampant here but yes, it is the same everywhere. I guess I internet too much. lolI go to Bisonville and the HYB up in Grand Forks once in a while we I need a bad fix of stupid. If I am really Jonesing for stupid, SS in Grand Forks is just the ticket. I don't post or have an account at either place but I lurk there.

clenz
December 8th, 2019, 12:30 PM

If his name wasn't Vinatieri he's benched...right?Since capping quoted himself.

Blocked FG for Chase was a differnce maker.

now you can debate the merits of attempting a 45-yard field goal in the conditions yesterday but he kicked it exactly 3 inches above the lineman's head

CappinHard
December 8th, 2019, 01:45 PM
Since capping quoted himself.

now you can debate the merits of attempting a 45-yard field goal in the conditions yesterday but he kicked it exactly 3 inches above the lineman's head

Nice call on that one. I wish we didn't play so conservative in the 2nd half with 4 and shorts at mid field. If you trust our defense enough to not try to score points, then trust them to get a stop if we give UNI the ball in a bad spot. I know they were playing the field position game, and it's easy to second guess now, but I would have liked them to go for one or both of those 4th downs.

Lorne_Malvo
December 8th, 2019, 01:51 PM
Yea, he should get the newcomer of the year award for here.

I put him on ignore the first day he joined.
Even Tru hasnt made my ignore list.

Lorne_Malvo
December 8th, 2019, 01:54 PM
Cool, I am just amazed that he took my BOOKIT post literally, I didn't think anybody was that stupid. :D Also, I am not offended by what he said but what he said was pretty, well, interesting.

An awful lot of posts here contain inside jokes and innuendo that new members dont/wont understand.
I'm not making excuses for him/them, but I can understand it a little. It took me a little while seeing bookit until I started to understand.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 8th, 2019, 06:06 PM
An awful lot of posts here contain inside jokes and innuendo that new members dont/wont understand.
I'm not making excuses for him/them, but I can understand it a little. It took me a little while seeing bookit until I started to understand.

That is why I said earlier that I make an attempt to warn new folks that they need to step back and get a feel for the culture here first a bit or they risk becoming a part of the culture here that rests only on their becoming a long running joke. I bet I had at least 300 posts before I really started waltzing through the minefield that is AGS just because I could see right away there was a language and culture I needed to learn. xlolx

#bookit

BisonFan02
December 8th, 2019, 07:21 PM
That is why I said earlier that I make an attempt to warn new folks that they need to step back and get a feel for the culture here first a bit or they risk becoming a part of the culture here that rests only on their becoming a long running joke. I bet I had at least 300 posts before I really started waltzing through the minefield that is AGS just because I could see right away there was a language and culture I needed to learn. xlolx

#bookit

did ya?

ursus arctos horribilis
December 8th, 2019, 09:09 PM
did ya?And I've been copied ever since.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

RowdyRabbit
December 8th, 2019, 11:25 PM
Since capping quoted himself.

It has been a rough year for kickers named Vinatieri for sure.

To answer your question about "if his names not Vinatieri, he's benched right?".....we did bench him earlier in the year.....his replacement missed as well...so uffda.

JayJ79
December 8th, 2019, 11:48 PM
brings up an interesting debate:
SDSU placekickers vs. UNI punters

Redbird 4th & short
December 9th, 2019, 08:59 AM

#bookit
or just annoy the crap out of everyone off til you figure it out .. not that I'm speaking from experience or anything, spaking for a friend.

https://media.makeameme.org/created/who-me-jeor12.jpg
(https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjY5obC6qjmAhXkHzQIHaWkA9wQjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fmakeameme.org%2Fmeme%2Fwho-me-jeor12&psig=AOvVaw05q0sm3thmTfZCKuJOgPcl&ust=1575989927613782)