PDA

View Full Version : So... the Big South...?

KsawOwls
November 30th, 2019, 05:55 PM
Big South: 2-0
SoCon: 0-2
HA😂

BisonFan02
November 30th, 2019, 05:56 PM
Here they come! xlolx

Schism55
November 30th, 2019, 05:59 PM
Break out your torches and pitchforks!

BurialGround
November 30th, 2019, 06:13 PM
Here they come! xlolx

Deserved. Being called know-nothings over the entire week just to watch us take care of the SoCon again is worthy of a gew jabs.

TheKingpin28
November 30th, 2019, 06:32 PM
I cannot wait for WSU to curb stomp your "vaunted" TO offense.

BisonFan02
November 30th, 2019, 06:39 PM
Deserved. Being called know-nothings over the entire week just to watch us take care of the SoCon again is worthy of a gew jabs.

Entirely not where I was going with that post....seasoned veterans of this forum know the running join date/small post count joke.....like, well, you as well. xlolx

ksu_owls
November 30th, 2019, 06:42 PM
I’m not feeling too good about next week. I like that we were about to get the win tonight but we are beyond banged up. We would need full health with some luck to make QF’s this year.

BurialGround
November 30th, 2019, 06:42 PM

xninjax

BurialGround
November 30th, 2019, 06:46 PM
Entirely not where I was going with that post....seasoned veterans of this forum know the running join date/small post count joke.....like, well, you as well. xlolx

Oh, I knew where you were going. Go count up how many threads concerned Big South teams throughout the course of the entire season and you'll see the reason for the November join dates and small post counts.

There might've been 4 threads concerning anybody in our conference all year until this week.

JacksFan40
November 30th, 2019, 06:52 PM
Definitely exceeded my expectations so congrats to the Big South for making a statement. Now let’s how you do next week.

Bison56
November 30th, 2019, 06:56 PM
Big South: 2-0
SoCon: 0-2
HA😂

Lol just like every year.

kdinva
November 30th, 2019, 07:01 PM
the scoreboard doesn't lie......SoCon laid two eggs today.

But, VMI, ElCid, Mercer, WCU would have gone 5-2 against the 2019 Big South squads.

KSUFAN
November 30th, 2019, 07:09 PM

But, VMI, ElCid, Mercer, WCU would have gone 5-2 against the 2019 Big South squads.

You left Wofford out and probably Furman!

BurialGround
November 30th, 2019, 07:23 PM

Interesting.

Mercer lost to Campbell and WCU lost to Gardner-Webb.

So that's a pretty interesting claim.

kdinva
November 30th, 2019, 07:26 PM
Interesting.

Mercer lost to Campbell and WCU lost to Gardner-Webb.

So that's a pretty interesting claim.

forgot, 4-3 for mercer and wcu.....xscanx

PantherRob82
November 30th, 2019, 07:28 PM
Oh, I knew where you were going. Go count up how many threads concerned Big South teams throughout the course of the entire season and you'll see the reason for the November join dates and small post counts.

There might've been 4 threads concerning anybody in our conference all year until this week.

So create some and start some conversation. When fans of small schools or small conferences are around there is more conversation to be had.

Lion1983
November 30th, 2019, 07:43 PM
Congrats to my Big South brethren... it's going to be awfully difficult in round 2 though...

KSUFAN
November 30th, 2019, 08:38 PM
Here is press conference from after game!!! “Team with ZERO RESPECT”
https://youtu.be/U3sFXU7oUdo

Reign of Terrier
November 30th, 2019, 09:47 PM
Monmouth and Kennesaw State are great teams.

The best way to rehab the socon is to play up the big south. The big south is something like 10-23 against the socon since 2015 and 1/2 of those wins came from Kennesaw State.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

HootyHoo
November 30th, 2019, 10:02 PM
Here is press conference from after game!!! “Team with ZERO RESPECT”
https://youtu.be/U3sFXU7oUdo

No respect for the Big South or the Owls. This was a huge day for the conference. The Big South is now a Multiple Bid league. Kennesaw State has again proven that they belong among the FCS elite. On to Ogden!

katss07
November 30th, 2019, 10:43 PM
Say what you want, I’ve been hearing two things about this game: how hot Wofford is and how bad KSU is. That’s been all the talk. Do some KSU fans take it to far and think they’re better than they are? Yeah. But KSU is a solid team and deserves some respect.

Not top 10 in the coaches poll respect. But they deserve to be here, even if WSU blows them out.

PantherRob82
November 30th, 2019, 10:43 PM
I will hold my applause until next week. I expected Monmouth to boat race a trash Holy Cross team and expected KSU had a chance. I work at a sports book and this morning I had a guy parlay Wofford -7 with his picks and I gave him a hard time because it made me nervous.

I dont expect either Big South team to win next week, but I'd love to see them be competitive. I'm a fan of KSU, but based on their season I didn't think their resume deserved a playoff birth. They proved me wrong today.

JacksFan40
November 30th, 2019, 10:46 PM
I will hold my applause until next week. I expected Monmouth to boat race a trash Holy Cross team and expected KSU had a chance. I work at a sports book and this morning I had a guy parlay Wofford -7 with his picks and I gave him a hard time because it made me nervous.

I dont expect either Big South team to win next week, but I'd love to see them be competitive. I'm a fan of KSU, but based on their season I didn't think their resume deserved a playoff birth. They proved me wrong today.
Monmouth isn’t beating JMU and the only way KSU beats Weber is if Weber plays like they did against Montana, in which case KSU has a very good shot at winning.

Reign of Terrier
November 30th, 2019, 11:00 PM
KSU has a good defense and that offense is hard to stop if you're either not used to it or don't emphasize strong defense in your strategy.

They'll get their yards. It wouldn't surprise me. If it happens, I imagine we'll grant grace to the big sky for losing to Kennesaw but continue to push the socon sucks narrative

(Furman sucks)

PantherRob82
December 1st, 2019, 12:15 AM
Monmouth isn’t beating JMU and the only way KSU beats Weber is if Weber plays like they did against Montana, in which case KSU has a very good shot at winning.

If only I had said I didn't expect either team to win. xsmiley_wix

BurialGround
December 1st, 2019, 07:50 AM
The best way to rehab the socon is to play up the big south. The big south is something like 10-23 against the socon since 2015 and 1/2 of those wins came from Kennesaw State.

How many of those SoCon wins came against Gardner-Webb and Presbyterian? And I'm not asking this with a mocking tone, it's a serious question.

KSUFAN
December 1st, 2019, 08:24 AM
Monmouth and Kennesaw State are great teams.

RoT you can play up whatever you want but at the end of the day the SoCon is on par with the Big South just like the rankings that came out a few weeks ago said and No one in the SoCon wanted to believe it. Both conferences need to get a lot stronger from top to Bottom. I get the impression a majority of SoCon fans are still living in the glory days of GSU and AppSt. Not sure what the big south vs SoCon record is but I do know KSU is 6-2 in their short football career and 3 of those wins have been in the playoffs!

NY Crusader 2010
December 1st, 2019, 08:41 AM

The Big South is basically the "Big 2" right now. A league in transition with post-Liberty and CCU defections to FBS. Last time I looked at Sagarin, the conference was actually rated below the Patriot League which is hard to believe IMO.

But I expect North Alabama and Campbell will rise rather quickly. Sounds like Jacksonville has no interest but maybe Stetson can be convinced to invest in scholarship FCS football. Outside of the two HBCU there is a major vacuum for FCS football in the talent rich state of Florida. As someone mentioned, North Florida or FGCU could probably develop solid upstart programs fairly quickly.

Blue Waves Crest
December 1st, 2019, 10:38 AM

A triple option attack is so volatile. A week of practice is not enough to prepare to defend it. Serious question, how many option teams has Weber faced this season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KSUFAN
December 1st, 2019, 11:03 AM
A triple option attack is so volatile. A week of practice is not enough to prepare to defend it. Serious question, how many option teams has Weber faced this season?

They knew when the brackets were announced they were going to see the TO. I’m sure they will be ready. Hopefully we can give them a good game!

Professor Chaos
December 1st, 2019, 11:24 AM

They faced Cal Poly earlier this year who runs a variation of the triple option. Beat them 41-24 and held Poly to 164 yards on 38 carries which was almost 100 yards under their season average of 254.5.

Kennesaw St is obviously better at running the TO than Cal Poly is but Jay Hill and his staff know how to coach defense so I wouldn't be too worried about them being unprepared.

Blue Waves Crest
December 1st, 2019, 11:28 AM
They knew when the brackets were announced they were going to see the TO. I’m sure they will be ready. Hopefully we can give them a good game!

Good point. Hope you guys win

TheKingpin28
December 1st, 2019, 12:18 PM

Really? I know NDSU has all but shutdown TO teams in the past. Last year, SDSU had them bottled up. They are not that dangerous if you play sound defense and man-matching defense.

ksu_owls
December 1st, 2019, 12:37 PM
Really? I know NDSU has all but shutdown TO teams in the past. Last year, SDSU had them bottled up. They are not that dangerous if you play sound defense and man-matching defense.

You're comparing two different teams. You're also way over simplifying what the Owls do on offense. Chandler Burks was an exceptional TO QB but had a terrible arm. When he got hurt against SDSU, Daniel David came in and pulled within 3 points after being down 20-3. Only an overly biased FCS observer would consider that being bottled up. Surprisingly, our offense increased in consistency after we lost David this year to injury. Losing Bryant last night had me convinced we were about to lose, but Murphy came in and made Wofford look like Garner Web on defense. Sure, we run the option but what most of AGS is too lazy to try and understand is that we do a lot of other things that keep defenses guessing.

cx500d
December 1st, 2019, 12:40 PM

that’s your fault for not starting any

TheKingpin28
December 1st, 2019, 12:42 PM
You're comparing two different teams. You're also way over simplifying what the Owls do on offense. Chandler Burks was an exceptional TO QB but had a terrible arm. When he got hurt against SDSU, Daniel David came in and pulled within 3 points after being down 20-3. Only an overly biased FCS observer would consider that being bottled up. Surprisingly, our offense increased in consistency after we lost David this year to injury. Losing Bryant last night had me convinced we were about to lose, but Murphy came in and made Wofford look like Garner Web on defense. Sure, we run the option but what most of AGS is too lazy to try and understand is that we do a lot of other things that keep defenses guessing.

Does it involve Southern Speed?

ksu_owls
December 1st, 2019, 12:47 PM
Does it involve Southern Speed?

Lol, I have never used southern speed as a description for anything. But I do stand by my comment that it's easier for you and other seasoned-FCS'ers to make assumptions and cliche comments rather than try and think.

TheKingpin28
December 1st, 2019, 12:55 PM
Lol, I have never used southern speed as a description for anything. But I do stand by my comment that it's easier for you and other seasoned-FCS'ers to make assumptions and cliche comments rather than try and think.

I'll let you believe what you want. If you did more than come around in November, you might learn a thing or two more about me, but keep pushing your narrative. Just cause I do not make 10 paragraph posts, does not mean I "make assumptions and cliche comments rather than try and think".

KSUFAN
December 1st, 2019, 01:02 PM

“Bottled up” that’s funny! KSU had 312 yds rushing and 106 passing to SDSU 208 total yds of offense. They really were bottling the Owls up. KSU had 23 first downs to SDSU’s 14. SDSU did a great job capitalizing on their opportunities. KSU fell behind early and pulled with in 3 with 8:00 left in game. I like our chances when KSU gets bottled up like this. Obviously they won’t win every game with stats differences like this but the majority time they will!

KSUFAN
December 1st, 2019, 01:09 PM
“Bottled up” that’s funny! KSU had 312 yds rushing and 106 passing to SDSU 208 total yds of offense. They really were bottling the Owls up. KSU had 23 first downs to SDSU’s 14. SDSU did a great job capitalizing on their opportunities. KSU fell behind early and pulled with in 3 with 8:00 left in game. I like our chances when KSU gets bottled up like this. Obviously they won’t win every game with stats differences like this but the majority time they will!

I have fat fingers! SDSU had 308 total yards not 208!

KSUFAN
December 1st, 2019, 01:10 PM

Sorry Fat fingers! SDSU had 308 yds total offense not 208

ksu_owls
December 1st, 2019, 01:14 PM
I'll let you believe what you want. If you did more than come around in November, you might learn a thing or two more about me, but keep pushing your narrative. Just cause I do not make 10 paragraph posts, does not mean I "make assumptions and cliche comments rather than try and think".

I don't read or post any NDSU stuff any month of the year. I post and read Big South/KSU every month of the year. Go make uninformed comments like "SDSU bottled up KSU" on a different thread, but expect to get called out on a thread with Big South in the title. I don't have any issues with your other posts, but what you said was incorrect and void of any reasonable attempt to depict what happened in the game. I called you out for over simplifying our offense, which you did.

Simply put, if your goal is to contribute to the conversation about KSU or Big South, do it from an informed perspective and I'll do the same if I ever feel the need to comment on NDSU.

TheKingpin28
December 1st, 2019, 01:19 PM

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/gametracker/playbyplay/NCAAF_20181208_SDST@KENSAW/

Why are you lying. This says you got 131 yards and 2 scores in the final quarter, which is about 1/3 of the total yards you got. If you are going to create a narrative, make sure it holds it's own weight. Hell if we take the last 3 drives (which started near the end of the 3rd Q), you got about half your yards in 3 drives when SDSU was already up 20-3. The Triple Option works when you play against defenses that fail to play gap-sound and man-match defense. If you run into a team that is built to stop the run and built up like a Valley team, your TO does not work. Why do you think a TO team has not won a title since 2000?

KSUFAN
December 1st, 2019, 01:41 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/gametracker/playbyplay/NCAAF_20181208_SDST@KENSAW/

Why are you lying. This says you got 131 yards and 2 scores in the final quarter, which is about 1/3 of the total yards you got. If you are going to create a narrative, make sure it holds it's own weight. Hell if we take the last 3 drives (which started near the end of the 3rd Q), you got about half your yards in 3 drives when SDSU was already up 20-3. The Triple Option works when you play against defenses that fail to play gap-sound and man-match defense. If you run into a team that is built to stop the run and built up like a Valley team, your TO does not work. Why do you think a TO team has not won a title since 2000?

Lying??? The fact remains KSU had 312 yds rushing. SDSU didn’t call off the dogs if that is what you are implying. 6:42 left in game it was 20-17! I guess that’s not true either? KSU was driving late in the third and scored at the 14:29 of the 4th. Last time I checked 131 yds isn’t half of 418!

uni88
December 1st, 2019, 01:50 PM

I give NDSU fans a lot of grief but as a group they are very knowledgeable about football in general. I also believe they used to run the Veer so their fans are more knowledgeable about the TO (which is a play not an offense) specifically then you might assume.

To Professor Chaos' point, Weber's defense is very good and disciplined so I think they'll be sound against KSU.

ksu_owls
December 1st, 2019, 01:58 PM
I give NDSU fans a lot of grief but as a group they are very knowledgeable about football in general. I also believe they used to run the Veer so their fans are more knowledgeable about the TO (which is a play not an offense) specifically then you might assume.

To Professor Chaos' point, Weber's defense is very good and disciplined so I think they'll be sound against KSU.

I don't discredit their knowledge, but I don't encourage their blind commentary when it is misleading. We all benefit when prior games are remembered correctly. And to be clear, I don't comb AGS looking for arguments, I just know ********* when I see it.

Blue Waves Crest
December 1st, 2019, 02:47 PM
I don't discredit their knowledge, but I don't encourage their blind commentary when it is misleading. We all benefit when prior games are remembered correctly. And to be clear, I don't comb AGS looking for arguments, I just know ********* when I see it.

Since this pissing contest began in response to my question I’m gonna elaborate on where I was coming from. Obviously, if the athletes on Weber are just far superior and the defense as a whole is just levels above what Kennesaw has played, then yea they probably won’t have a lot of trouble stopping their triple option. I do not know whether that’s the case, I haven’t seen Weber play this season.

But if the talent and performance is remotely comparable then yea, playing against a triple option team provides an added thing you have to prepare for that is different than playing any other type of offense. That doesn’t mean a team that runs a triple option is better or worse than a team that runs a spread or single back or power i but it’s just vastly different, and if it’s run ruthlessly it can be a problem. I also wouldn’t say Kennesaw’s option attack this year is what it was last year or the year before.

ksu_owls
December 1st, 2019, 03:15 PM
.... I also wouldn’t say Kennesaw’s option attack this year is what it was last year or the year before.

If our offense was the same as 2017 or 2018 then we would have lost to Wofford yesterday. We were definitely inconsistent this year. We lost 10 starters on that side of the ball, so it's obvious we had to change things up a little. Our offense definitely picked up after Tommy Bryant took over at QB. Our offense picked up a LOT more after Murphy had to come in yesterday. That kid is special. I don't want to put all of his reputation into his first start on the road in a highly elevated cold environment second round playoff game, but you'll hear his name a few times over the next three seasons.

uni88
December 1st, 2019, 03:19 PM
I don't discredit their knowledge, but I don't encourage their blind commentary when it is misleading. We all benefit when prior games are remembered correctly. And to be clear, I don't comb AGS looking for arguments, I just know ********* when I see it.I watched the SDSU game last year and I thought SDSU had the KSU offense bottled up until the backup QB came in with a better arm and provided a spark.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

ksu_owls
December 1st, 2019, 03:24 PM
I watched the SDSU game last year and I thought SDSU had the KSU offense bottled up until the backup QB came in with a better arm and provided a spark.

100% agree. The first 4 years of our program our offense depended on running or a rare pass plays out of the TO. Chandler was a great TO QB, but he'll be the last KSU QB that doesn't have a decent arm. I understand the coaching connection and proximity, but we're not trying to be Georgia Tech.

KSUFAN
December 1st, 2019, 03:28 PM
I watched the SDSU game last year and I thought SDSU had the KSU offense bottled up until the backup QB came in with a better arm and provided a spark.

312 yds rushing is bottled up? 23 first downs? Over 6 yds a rush? I just don’t know how this is bottled up! Maybe I don’t understand your definition of bottled up.

uni88
December 1st, 2019, 03:32 PM
312 yds rushing is bottled up? 23 first downs? Over 6 yds a rush? I just don’t know how this is bottled up! Maybe I don’t understand your definition of bottled up.Do you know what the word until means?

What was the yardage and score pre-backup and post-backup?

KSUFAN
December 1st, 2019, 03:40 PM
Do you know what the word until means?

Alright I missed until. Backup had 94yds passing and 74 rushing. Not sure what the overall yardage was at the time. He definitely played entire 4th qtr.

KSUFAN
December 1st, 2019, 03:44 PM
Do you know what the word until means?

Alright I didn’t read until. Not sure what yardage was when Backup came in. He had 94yds passing and 74 yds rushing. He definitely played entire 4th qtr and I believe most of the 3rd.

BurialGround
December 1st, 2019, 03:52 PM
The backup played much more than that. Burks got injured at the beginning of the 2nd quarter with the score tied at 3-3.

uni88
December 1st, 2019, 03:54 PM
Alright I didn’t read until. Not sure what yardage was when Backup came in. He had 94yds passing and 74 yds rushing. He definitely played entire 4th qtr and I believe most of the 3rd.What changed between 3 points in the first three quarters to 14 points in the final quarter?

And yards are great but it's the score that counts and SDSU held KSU to 3 points thru three quarters. 3 points in three quarters is bottled up for those three quarters where it matters.

KSUFAN
December 1st, 2019, 04:34 PM
What changed between 3 points in the first three quarters to 14 points in the final quarter?

And yards are great but it's the score that counts and SDSU held KSU to 3 points thru three quarters. 3 points in three quarters is bottled up for those three quarters where it matters.

They made some 4th down stops that we were use to making all year and they capitalized on them. They were 5/5 in the red zone and even won the TOP game. That didn’t happen often last year. I said yds don’t always mean wins but I like KSU’s chances when they rush like that. KSU is a solid team with a lot of young players. This is definitely a rebuilding year for the Owls. Weber is obviously a good defensive team and my only hope is we give them a competitive game with a chance to win in the 4th. This reminds me of 2017 going to 3 seed JSU with their big defense and strong running game. My only hope is the result is the same.

Reign of Terrier
December 2nd, 2019, 12:28 AM
RoT you can play up whatever you want but at the end of the day the SoCon is on par with the Big South just like the rankings that came out a few weeks ago said and No one in the SoCon wanted to believe it. Both conferences need to get a lot stronger from top to Bottom. I get the impression a majority of SoCon fans are still living in the glory days of GSU and AppSt. Not sure what the big south vs SoCon record is but I do know KSU is 6-2 in their short football career and 3 of those wins have been in the playoffs!It's the case that Kennesaw State and maybe Monmouth are better than any team in the socon, but by my count the conference has only 2 non-KSU wins over socon teams since 2015. Against Mercer and Western. Congrats?

Let's be completely real here: if you're a Big South fan, you don't want this season to be your evidence that the big south is better, because you'd lose the argument.

PC is PC and on the way out, UNA and Campbell are finally at full FCS capacity. Gardner Webb sucks. CSU is rebuilding. Hampton loses to D2 schools (good ones, I will grant) because their peer HBCUs are pretty much boycotting them.

So, of the big south teams, 8 total, only 4 of them have played a socon team in the last few years: KSU, PC, GW, and CSU. KSU has done well, obviously. PC beat Furman in 2014, I think. CSU beat the citadel a few times but has lost their last two. Gardner Webb beat Furman and Wofford in 2013/2014 but has pretty much laid an egg since.

So yeah, the Big South has earned some scalps over the years. No denying that. But you can't say that the conference owns the socon when it's only one team that can win a game dependably.

But hey, with the way things are going, that may just be on the horizon because of UNA/Campbell's competitive ambitions and assuming Monmouth and KSU stay consistent. But now? It's just KSU.

KSUFAN
December 2nd, 2019, 04:21 PM
It's the case that Kennesaw State and maybe Monmouth are better than any team in the socon, but by my count the conference has only 2 non-KSU wins over socon teams since 2015. Against Mercer and Western. Congrats?

Let's be completely real here: if you're a Big South fan, you don't want this season to be your evidence that the big south is better, because you'd lose the argument.

PC is PC and on the way out, UNA and Campbell are finally at full FCS capacity. Gardner Webb sucks. CSU is rebuilding. Hampton loses to D2 schools (good ones, I will grant) because their peer HBCUs are pretty much boycotting them.

So, of the big south teams, 8 total, only 4 of them have played a socon team in the last few years: KSU, PC, GW, and CSU. KSU has done well, obviously. PC beat Furman in 2014, I think. CSU beat the citadel a few times but has lost their last two. Gardner Webb beat Furman and Wofford in 2013/2014 but has pretty much laid an egg since.

So yeah, the Big South has earned some scalps over the years. No denying that. But you can't say that the conference owns the socon when it's only one team that can win a game dependably.

But hey, with the way things are going, that may just be on the horizon because of UNA/Campbell's competitive ambitions and assuming Monmouth and KSU stay consistent. But now? It's just KSU.

All I said was the Big South was on par with the SoCon. I don't claim the Big South is better. Both conferences have a lot of work to do. I do think the new additions in the Big South will only make it stronger!

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2019, 05:14 PM
What a bout ism Monmouth to the CAA and Kennesaw to the SoCo.....

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 2nd, 2019, 05:16 PM

Would Monmouth's stadium be accepted in the CAA?

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2019, 05:38 PM

no clue, but it appeared like half of it was missing ......

UNHWildcat18
December 2nd, 2019, 05:58 PM

No, no it would not. I personally don’t want the CAA to add anyone, even if JMU leaves.

KSUFAN
December 2nd, 2019, 06:28 PM

KSU wanted to be in the SoCon but the SoCon wanted ETSU instead.

HootyHoo
December 2nd, 2019, 06:37 PM
KSU wanted to be in the SoCon but the SoCon wanted ETSU instead.

Yup, now it's too late. The socon threw away the next Georgia Southern for ETSU, Mercer, and VMI. No wonder the conference is garbage.

Blue Waves Crest
December 2nd, 2019, 11:09 PM
No, no it would not. I personally don’t want the CAA to add anyone, even if JMU leaves.

Could be wishful thinking but I don’t see Monmouth NOT doing what it needs to in order to make it CAA acceptable. Competitively, yes the Big South is a great fit. But in terms of growing the program locally and generating interest in northeast opponents among locals, no the Big South is not a long term home. No offense intended but people up here who aren’t diehards have not heard of most of the schools in the Big South. And I’m sure you guys get it, people who aren’t diehards want to see their school playing a school that they know alumni from, it makes it more fun to talk ****, it’s what adds flavor for those who aren’t football geeks like us. And I think our administration understands that, our AD is a boss. She’s a rolling stone that gathers no moss when it comes to projects

JMU2K_DukeDawg
December 3rd, 2019, 12:33 AM
I mean if URI's stadium is acceptable... just sayin'...

MR. CHICKEN
December 3rd, 2019, 07:47 AM
I mean if URI's stadium is acceptable... just sayin'...

......AN' DUH ONE...ON MAIN LINE.......KICKER U. ................................xwhistlex.....BRAW K!

Dukie95
December 3rd, 2019, 08:12 AM
Could be wishful thinking but I don’t see Monmouth NOT doing what it needs to in order to make it CAA acceptable. Competitively, yes the Big South is a great fit. But in terms of growing the program locally and generating interest in northeast opponents among locals, no the Big South is not a long term home. No offense intended but people up here who aren’t diehards have not heard of most of the schools in the Big South. And I’m sure you guys get it, people who aren’t diehards want to see their school playing a school that they know alumni from, it makes it more fun to talk ****, it’s what adds flavor for those who aren’t football geeks like us. And I think our administration understands that, our AD is a boss. She’s a rolling stone that gathers no moss when it comes to projects

That's what Stony Brook did. They were never a geographic fit in the Big South, but it elevated their program.

UNHWildcat18
December 3rd, 2019, 11:00 AM
That's what Stony Brook did. They were never a geographic fit in the Big South, but it elevated their program.

To be fair SBU is a big state school, who already had a stadium in place thats up to CAA standards, it was only a matter of time. UAlbany was told they needed to build big enough to join the CAA and they did. Monmouth will simply not get there in capacity, west long branch will simply not allow it regardless of hopes and dreams. Also I think the Northern schools (UNH,UMAINE,SBU,UALBANY,URI) are good with their 5 memberships and playing games vs JMU UD NOVA W&M ect... I don't think they have any reason to want Monmouth in the CAA for football even if they did magically increase to an 8k stadium.

Hell if it was up to me, no disrespect since they are a great school and have great fans on this board, I would have never let elon join for football(too far south) and if JMU were to leave I'd be really happy staying at 10.

- - - Updated - - -

To be fair SBU is a big state school, who already had a stadium in place thats up to CAA standards, it was only a matter of time. UAlbany was told they needed to build big enough to join the CAA and they did. Monmouth will simply not get there in capacity, west long branch will simply not allow it regardless of hopes and dreams. Also I think the Northern schools (UNH,UMAINE,SBU,UALBANY,URI) are good with their 5 memberships and playing games vs JMU UD NOVA W&M ect... I don't think they have any reason to want Monmouth in the CAA for football even if they did magically increase to an 8k stadium.

Hell if it was up to me, no disrespect since they are a great school and have great fans on this board, I would have never let elon join for football(too far south) and if JMU were to leave I'd be really happy staying at 10.

- - - Updated - - -

Sader87
December 3rd, 2019, 12:09 PM
Isn't it kind of a joke to have a prerequisite "stadia minimum seats" of 8-10K or so when very few schools in the Northeast are drawing that on a weekly basis?

Just sayin'......

Dukie95
December 3rd, 2019, 12:28 PM
Monmouth's average home attendance was 2780.

Big South's home average was 4750
CAA's home average was 8883

Sader87
December 3rd, 2019, 12:51 PM
Monmouth's average home attendance was 2780.

Big South's home average was 4750
CAA's home average was 8883

Yeah, but take out JMU's home attendance and what is the CAA average?

UNHWildcat18
December 3rd, 2019, 01:35 PM
Isn't it kind of a joke to have a prerequisite "stadia minimum seats" of 8-10K or so when very few schools in the Northeast are drawing that on a weekly basis?

Just sayin'......

I know I'll sound like such a dweeb saying this since we are in the little pond of football....... But this is the CAA, we are made up of some state schools that represent the highest level of college football the state has to offer as well as some other programs with rich history of college athletics and academics. We don't need teeny schools with tiny stadiums to join just because they offer up to 63.

The average size of all 12 stadiums is 12,300k from JMU at 25k to URI at 6.5k That's without the current updates to stony brooks capacity which isnt 8300 anymore.
Like I said before even if JMU left, I wouldn't add anyone at all.

I am happy for Monmouth and their new facility, growth on the field and growth of fanbase, I just don't personally want them in the CAA nor do I see them ever getting in.

Dukie95
December 3rd, 2019, 02:14 PM
Yeah, but take out JMU's home attendance and what is the CAA average?

Not sure what that would reveal, but know that only one CAA team (Albany) falls below the BS's average, so it wouldn't make THAT big of a dent.

Edit: It's 7,659

kdinva
December 3rd, 2019, 02:30 PM

and I believe Stony Brook expanded their facility 4-5 years ago, correct? Monmouth's powers-that-be need to brow-beat the NJ politicians, etc., to allow to expand their facility to 8,000+. It'll be filled if the Hawks can win 8+ games each season.

ElCid
December 3rd, 2019, 02:53 PM
and I believe Stony Brook expanded their facility 4-5 years ago, correct? Monmouth's powers-that-be need to brow-beat the NJ politicians, etc., to allow to expand their facility to 8,000+. It'll be filled if the Hawks can win 8+ games each season.

I missed something. Does Monmouth not have the money and needs to get some or they won't allow it even if they have the money? If the latter is the case, who wouldn't want better facilities for a college in their area? Must be idiots.

NY Crusader 2010
December 4th, 2019, 03:07 PM
I know I'll sound like such a dweeb saying this since we are in the little pond of football....... But this is the CAA, we are made up of some state schools that represent the highest level of college football the state has to offer as well as some other programs with rich history of college athletics and academics. We don't need teeny schools with tiny stadiums to join just because they offer up to 63.

The average size of all 12 stadiums is 12,300k from JMU at 25k to URI at 6.5k That's without the current updates to stony brooks capacity which isnt 8300 anymore.
Like I said before even if JMU left, I wouldn't add anyone at all.

I am happy for Monmouth and their new facility, growth on the field and growth of fanbase, I just don't personally want them in the CAA nor do I see them ever getting in.

Given that the CAA has 12 current football-playing members and 10 all-sports members, there is a very small chance that the league would add a football affiliate if JMU left. They would be looking at the school that adds the most as a full-time member and would very likely add a current football affiliate as a full-time member to replace JMU. Here would be a few options:

1) Stony Brook - already playing CAA football
2) Albany - already playing CAA football
3) UNH - already playing CAA football & Northeastern could use a travel partner
4) Stony Brook, Albany & UNH - football would be at 11 members and all-sports 12. Mainejeff would need urgent medical care if this unfolded.
5) Fairfield - already in CAA for LAX, would bridge geographical gap between Hofstra and Northeastern
6) Fordham - they would never take FU as a football affiliate but given that the A-10 has poached the CAA at will for 15 years, they would take Fordham if the Rams decided to give up on ever becoming competitive in Atlantic 10 basketball.
7) Monmouth - Up-and-coming school with solid hoops and clear commitment to competitive FCS football. Not a bad add by any means. While small, the stadium is modern and clearly expandable. Not to mention NJ is not a bad place to have a league banner given the fertile recruiting ground in football and basketball + proximity to NYC and Philly.

If the CAA adds a football affiliate any time soon, it will be UMASS. IMO, UMASS has two athletic options -- either a) give up on being a middling member of a fringe "power" basketball conference and join the MAC in all sports or b) give up on the dream of FBS football, cut their losses and bring football back to the CAA while remaining A-10 for other sports.

Blue Waves Crest
December 4th, 2019, 03:58 PM
I missed something. Does Monmouth not have the money and needs to get some or they won't allow it even if they have the money? If the latter is the case, who wouldn't want better facilities for a college in their area? Must be idiots.

The school raises money relatively well. What UNH fan is referring to is WLB has weird town ordinances, but that’s always been the issue regarding lights on the field and the height of the stadium but that would have nothing to do with filling in the end zones and/or the far sideline. I obviously don’t know what goes on behind the scenes but I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s something they’re already working on

Blue Waves Crest
December 4th, 2019, 04:12 PM
Given that the CAA has 12 current football-playing members and 10 all-sports members, there is a very small chance that the league would add a football affiliate if JMU left. They would be looking at the school that adds the most as a full-time member and would very likely add a current football affiliate as a full-time member to replace JMU. Here would be a few options:

1) Stony Brook - already playing CAA football
2) Albany - already playing CAA football
3) UNH - already playing CAA football & Northeastern could use a travel partner
4) Stony Brook, Albany & UNH - football would be at 11 members and all-sports 12. Mainejeff would need urgent medical care if this unfolded.
5) Fairfield - already in CAA for LAX, would bridge geographical gap between Hofstra and Northeastern
6) Fordham - they would never take FU as a football affiliate but given that the A-10 has poached the CAA at will for 15 years, they would take Fordham if the Rams decided to give up on ever becoming competitive in Atlantic 10 basketball.
7) Monmouth - Up-and-coming school with solid hoops and clear commitment to competitive FCS football. Not a bad add by any means. While small, the stadium is modern and clearly expandable. Not to mention NJ is not a bad place to have a league banner given the fertile recruiting ground in football and basketball + proximity to NYC and Philly.

If the CAA adds a football affiliate any time soon, it will be UMASS. IMO, UMASS has two athletic options -- either a) give up on being a middling member of a fringe "power" basketball conference and join the MAC in all sports or b) give up on the dream of FBS football, cut their losses and bring football back to the CAA while remaining A-10 for other sports.

Lol I don’t think Monmouth would move to the CAA for all sports if that’s what it took to get football to the CAA, nor do I think they should. The CAA has no leverage there. Every football program you just mentioned is already in the league except Fordham who plays A10 hoops, they’re not moving down, and I mentioned last week that UConn should drop football to CAA but was lectured on the basis that “nobody moves from FBS to FCS”, so no matter where you’re looking you’re only going to find prospective football members, not full members.

Our MAAC hoops schedule is very easy to travel to, furthest trip is to Buffalo, and we just got the conf tourney moved to Atlantic City. I doubt we’re gonna go play Elon Wilmington and Charleston and have a conf tourney in NC. And playing in the CAA wouldn’t have gotten us an at large bid in 2016, it’s a marginal step up for a lot of travel drawbacks. But enough about hoops, this is a football thread. I think this gets evaluated on a football only basis as it should, gives Villanova Delaware Albany and Stony Brook a conference opponent a stone’s throw away. Three of those four are associate members too by the way lol

NY Crusader 2010
December 4th, 2019, 04:34 PM
Blue Waves Crest - Monmouth would be insane if they turned down a CAA all-sports invite to remain in the MAAC (Buffalo isn't that much closer than Elon and Charleston btw).

Yes this is a football thread but in real life the CAA has zero need to invite Monmouth as a football affiliate. ZERO. They have 12 football members.

The football members I just mentioned are NOT in the league. UNH, Stony Brook and Albany are still in the America East Conference and are football affiliates.

With regards to UCONN, they are not dropping to FCS because the state taxpayer built them a 40,000 seat stadium. Plus they still have the hope that they can get into the ACC should it decide to expand to 16. But you're right, the "no one moves from FBS to FCS" argument is finally done now that Idaho has transitioned back to the Big Sky. UMass will probably be next.

Laker
December 4th, 2019, 04:38 PM
With regards to UCONN, they are not dropping to FCS because the state taxpayer built them a 40,000 seat stadium. Plus they still have the hope that they can get into the ACC should it decide to expand to 16. But you're right, the "no one moves from FBS to FCS" argument is finally done now that Idaho has transitioned back to the Big Sky. UMass will probably be next.

Too bad- if UConn & UMass came back to FCS and Vermont would restart football, we could have the Yankee Conference again. Alas, that won't be happening.

Blue Waves Crest
December 5th, 2019, 09:48 PM
Blue Waves Crest - Monmouth would be insane if they turned down a CAA all-sports invite to remain in the MAAC (Buffalo isn't that much closer than Elon and Charleston btw).

Yes this is a football thread but in real life the CAA has zero need to invite Monmouth as a football affiliate. ZERO. They have 12 football members.

The football members I just mentioned are NOT in the league. UNH, Stony Brook and Albany are still in the America East Conference and are football affiliates.

Gonna have some fun with this one:

Distance from Monmouth to MAAC schools:
Rider: 56 miles (57 mins)
St Peters: 48 miles (58 mins)
Iona: 72 miles (1 hr 26 mins)
Manhattan: 65 miles (1 hr 16 mins)
Marist: 126 miles (2 hr 16 mins)
Siena: 195 miles (3 hr 5 mins)
Fairfield: 109 miles (2 hr 1 min)
Quinnipiac: 138 miles (2 hr 29 min)
Niagara: 437 miles (6 hr 44 min)
Canisius: 419 miles (6 hr 26 min)
Conf tourney site: Atlantic City, 82 miles (1 hr 19 min)

Distance from Monmouth to CAA hoops schools:
Delaware: 120 miles (1 hr 56 min)
Hofstra: 77 miles (1 hr 31 min)
Drexel: 81 miles (1 hr 29 min)
Towson: 175 miles (2 hr 47 min)
W&M: 367 miles (5 hr 41 min)
JMU: 345 miles (5 hr 13 min)
Northeastern: 263 miles (4 hr 19 min)
Charleston: 745 miles (10 hr 59 min)
Wilmington: 577 miles (8 hr 43 min)
Elon: 509 miles (7 hr 43 min)
Conf tourney site: DC, 216 miles, (3 hr 27 min)

Still wanna suggest the CAA is a comparable geographic fit for basketball? 7 of the 10 MAAC opponents are within a 3 hour drive, one is just over 3 hours, and 4 are less than 2 hours away. That means 8 of our 10 conference opponents are a day trip away and our fans make the trips.

There are 4 day trips on that CAA schedule and none of them except Hofstra and maybe Delaware have any local significance, not to mention every MAAC game and non conf home game are on at least ESPN+. You can watch every game your team plays on TV or 80% of them in person.

To this end the Big South has a suitable TV deal for football, every Big South conf game is on at least ESPN+ and I’ve seen CAA fans bitch and moan on twitter about having these beautiful gameday facilities that nobody outside CAA territory knows exist because they can’t watch em on TV, but some of that might be old news. Serious question - what’s the CAA’s current TV situation for both sports?

Let’s make something clear: our bread is buttered by our basketball program, and our fans love the proximity of the MAAC, being able to go to the most important road games, knowing alumni from the other schools, and quite frankly it helps that the league office allowed us to strong arm one of the original charter members (Siena) out of hosting the conference tournament so we could cohost it with Rider at a neutral site. The league sees us as the shining city on a hill and we would be a misfit playing in the CAA for hoops.

For football, the CAA would be adding a “growing” (assuming we don’t fall off a cliff after this season) program literally smack dab in the middle of the league’s footprint. The reality is that the CAA is the same league for football and basketball in name only seeing as half the basketball members don’t play football and vice versa. You can have one without the other, I’m sure the CAA knows where Monmouth stands and vice versa

NY Crusader 2010
December 6th, 2019, 05:06 AM
Gonna have some fun with this one:

Distance from Monmouth to MAAC schools:
Rider: 56 miles (57 mins)
St Peters: 48 miles (58 mins)
Iona: 72 miles (1 hr 26 mins)
Manhattan: 65 miles (1 hr 16 mins)
Marist: 126 miles (2 hr 16 mins)
Siena: 195 miles (3 hr 5 mins)
Fairfield: 109 miles (2 hr 1 min)
Quinnipiac: 138 miles (2 hr 29 min)
Niagara: 437 miles (6 hr 44 min)
Canisius: 419 miles (6 hr 26 min)
Conf tourney site: Atlantic City, 82 miles (1 hr 19 min)

Distance from Monmouth to CAA hoops schools:
Delaware: 120 miles (1 hr 56 min)
Hofstra: 77 miles (1 hr 31 min)
Drexel: 81 miles (1 hr 29 min)
Towson: 175 miles (2 hr 47 min)
W&M: 367 miles (5 hr 41 min)
JMU: 345 miles (5 hr 13 min)
Northeastern: 263 miles (4 hr 19 min)
Charleston: 745 miles (10 hr 59 min)
Wilmington: 577 miles (8 hr 43 min)
Elon: 509 miles (7 hr 43 min)
Conf tourney site: DC, 216 miles, (3 hr 27 min)

Still wanna suggest the CAA is a comparable geographic fit for basketball? 7 of the 10 MAAC opponents are within a 3 hour drive, one is just over 3 hours, and 4 are less than 2 hours away. That means 8 of our 10 conference opponents are a day trip away and our fans make the trips.

There are 4 day trips on that CAA schedule and none of them except Hofstra and maybe Delaware have any local significance, not to mention every MAAC game and non conf home game are on at least ESPN+. You can watch every game your team plays on TV or 80% of them in person.

To this end the Big South has a suitable TV deal for football, every Big South conf game is on at least ESPN+ and I’ve seen CAA fans bitch and moan on twitter about having these beautiful gameday facilities that nobody outside CAA territory knows exist because they can’t watch em on TV, but some of that might be old news. Serious question - what’s the CAA’s current TV situation for both sports?

Let’s make something clear: our bread is buttered by our basketball program, and our fans love the proximity of the MAAC, being able to go to the most important road games, knowing alumni from the other schools, and quite frankly it helps that the league office allowed us to strong arm one of the original charter members (Siena) out of hosting the conference tournament so we could cohost it with Rider at a neutral site. The league sees us as the shining city on a hill and we would be a misfit playing in the CAA for hoops.

For football, the CAA would be adding a “growing” (assuming we don’t fall off a cliff after this season) program literally smack dab in the middle of the league’s footprint. The reality is that the CAA is the same league for football and basketball in name only seeing as half the basketball members don’t play football and vice versa. You can have one without the other, I’m sure the CAA knows where Monmouth stands and vice versa

1) Never said the CAA was a better geographic fit than the MAAC for basketball. It's a better league overall with much stronger sports programs and would be a much better place for an emerging up-and-coming school like Monmouth to be. The MAAC is a bunch of has-been regional Catholic colleges going nowhere. Men's hoops is the bread and butter sport for the league but look at the attendance figures. You think playing in a bunch of glorified high school gyms is what's best for the growth of Monmouth hoops? Hope there aren't too many others thinking the same way.

2) You guys didn't "strong arm" the MAAC tournament into moving from Albany. Every 5 years or so, the league cycles it out to another location just to appease the schools not named Siena. They've moved it around to Springfield, Bridgeport and Buffalo in the past and it always ends up coming back to the Times Union Center in Albany and for good reason. Siena is the only school in the league that consistently draws (hopefully you guys change that) + it's a geographic mid-point between the Buffalo-area and NYC-area members.

3) Yes Monomuth would be a great add for the CAA for the reasons you mentioned. But I said it before and I'll say it again. The CAA has more football-playing schools (12) than it does full-time members (10). So, if hypotheteically, JMU left and the the league were to looking to replace them, they are definitely not going to be looking for a sixth football affiliate. They are going to be looking for a full-time member. The league that SHOULD have added you guys as a football affiliate was the Patriot League since we have 10 full-time members and just 7 football schools. Supposedly you guys inquired in 2013 but were denied. If true, mistake on our part IMO. From a Monmouth perspective, however, I'd be shooting higher than the PL and be looking to be the next all-sports member of the CAA.

Anyway, good luck to you guys against JMU. I really enjoyed coming to your campus and stadium last weekend. Monmouth athletics is definitely heading in an exciting direction and it's always great to see FCS football growing in the Northeast. Hopefully catch you at a tailgate when Holy Cross and MU meet again in 2021.

Blue Waves Crest
December 6th, 2019, 08:56 PM
1) Never said the CAA was a better geographic fit than the MAAC for basketball. It's a better league overall with much stronger sports programs and would be a much better place for an emerging up-and-coming school like Monmouth to be. The MAAC is a bunch of has-been regional Catholic colleges going nowhere. Men's hoops is the bread and butter sport for the league but look at the attendance figures. You think playing in a bunch of glorified high school gyms is what's best for the growth of Monmouth hoops? Hope there aren't too many others thinking the same way.

2) You guys didn't "strong arm" the MAAC tournament into moving from Albany. Every 5 years or so, the league cycles it out to another location just to appease the schools not named Siena. They've moved it around to Springfield, Bridgeport and Buffalo in the past and it always ends up coming back to the Times Union Center in Albany and for good reason. Siena is the only school in the league that consistently draws (hopefully you guys change that) + it's a geographic mid-point between the Buffalo-area and NYC-area members.

3) Yes Monomuth would be a great add for the CAA for the reasons you mentioned. But I said it before and I'll say it again. The CAA has more football-playing schools (12) than it does full-time members (10). So, if hypotheteically, JMU left and the the league were to looking to replace them, they are definitely not going to be looking for a sixth football affiliate. They are going to be looking for a full-time member. The league that SHOULD have added you guys as a football affiliate was the Patriot League since we have 10 full-time members and just 7 football schools. Supposedly you guys inquired in 2013 but were denied. If true, mistake on our part IMO. From a Monmouth perspective, however, I'd be shooting higher than the PL and be looking to be the next all-sports member of the CAA.

Anyway, good luck to you guys against JMU. I really enjoyed coming to your campus and stadium last weekend. Monmouth athletics is definitely heading in an exciting direction and it's always great to see FCS football growing in the Northeast. Hopefully catch you at a tailgate when Holy Cross and MU meet again in 2021.

1) I will gladly take the low hanging fruit here and take a pot-shot at the way the other MAAC schools are run. Has-been catholic schools is pretty accurate, Iona is in the middle of a MAAC tourney dynasty and their version of “a new facility” was turning the court 180 degrees so they can extend the bleachers under both baselines. It’s still a bandbox, and their nonconf scheduling outside of what the league requires is pathetic. They’re the worst “dynasty” I’ve ever seen, they’re only really a dynasty because they show up for four games a year and they just happen to be the most important games. They’re a guaranteed 20-12 record and 16 seed getting smacked by a 1 seed every gear. The only other schools in the league that see themselves as up-and-comers like us are Quinnipiac and Fairfield, Fairfield just announced they’re building a beautiful new arena and QU has one.

2) yes, the tournament rotates and has returned to TUC before but consider this: the first couple years it was in Albany it was setting MAAC tournament attendance records (not saying much, but still viewed as “working”). In 2017 Monmouth was in line for a 10 seed in the Big Dance, was 27-7 (18-2, GOAT in the MAAC) and ran into Siena in the semifinal in a 1v4 game. Monmouth blew a 17 point halftime lead and lost the semifinal, the crowd was electric and was a huge part in the comeback, nearly a 17K sellout. It was a complete tidal wave. We got a lot of love from the national basketball scene saying “why is Monmouth playing a true road game as a 1 seed?” and it was a national embarrassment for the league. Initially all the MAAC fans were like “pussy Monmouth fans crying cause they blew a huge lead, GTFOOH”, but the take that no one team should host the tournament every year aged really well. I think that was due in large part to the consistent drum-beat of both our fans, like-minded fans who want to see the best team win not the one with the biggest arena, and our administration to give the league a seriously solid plan B, since the reflexive response from the league after 2017 was “well what do ya want us to do, this makes money!”. Now the tourney is gonna be in AC cohosted with Rider, at a serious destination with **** to do other than watch hoops and has dozens of hotel and entertainment options.

3) the Patriot League probably would’ve also been a good option back in 2013, I think right now Monmouth’s program would be near the top of the PL and would be a good competitive fit, but like you said I don’t know if that’s much of a step up for them at this point. The bonus would be that it’s regional schools that we recognize and know alumni from, its local enough to be fun for the fair-weather fans. My biggest question is that if it’s not Monmouth as a full member for the CAA then who would it be? It’s for that reason I’ve been making the leverage argument. I obviously have no idea where this all goes, if nothing else it makes for fun speculation and it’s an interesting topic of conversation.

Appreciate the well-wishes, you guys were good opponents and your fans are classy, you had a great season. Likewise - it’s great to see schools like ours in this part of the country compete and do well. Let’s meet in 2021!

Professor
December 9th, 2019, 08:56 AM
Not the best weekend for the Big South , Good run tho

HootyHoo
December 9th, 2019, 09:24 AM

It was definitely a positive season for the Big South. The conference is finally starting to recover from losing Coastal Carolina and Liberty. Moving forward, KSU, Monmouth, UNA, and Campbell is a solid foundation. Idk, about the other teams, but the Owls should be strong next season with 39 upperclassmen and 17 returning starters. 12-0 and a top 4 seed is the goal.

HootyHoo
December 9th, 2019, 09:25 AM

It was definitely a positive season for the Big South. The conference is finally starting to recover from losing Coastal Carolina and Liberty. Moving forward, KSU, Monmouth, UNA, and Campbell is a solid foundation. Idk, about the other teams, but the Owls should be strong next season with 39 upperclassmen and 17 returning starters. 12-0 and a top 4 seed is the goal.

- - - Updated - - -

FUBeAR
December 9th, 2019, 09:50 AM
positive season

finally starting to recover

a solid foundation

the Owls should be strong next season

HootyHoo
December 9th, 2019, 09:59 AM

There is no reason for KSU to quiet down. This year was a rebuilding year and we still went 11-3 and won a playoff game. This is what sustainable success looks like. I know it’s something Furman doesn’t see a lot of these days.

Bisonator
December 9th, 2019, 10:06 AM
I'll be taking the Big South a bit more seriously next season. Monmouth and Kennesaw opened some eyes this season. Likewise the SOCON has some work to do to get back to respectability.

FUBeAR
December 9th, 2019, 10:14 AM
There is no reason for KSU to quiet down.

https://i.giphy.com/media/fSYClFsQp8AHkWZexi/giphy.gif

Professor
December 9th, 2019, 10:20 AM

12 and 0 will be tough

09/05 - Point University (https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/point-university/)
09/12 - at Kent State (https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/kent-state/)
09/19 - Alabama State (https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/alabama-state/)
09/26 - Missouri State (https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/missouri-state/)
10/03 - Samford (https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/samford/)

HootyHoo
December 9th, 2019, 10:23 AM
I'll be taking the Big South a bit more seriously next season. Monmouth and Kennesaw opened some eyes this season. Likewise the SOCON has some work to do to get back to respectability.

That’s great that the Big South is getting some love. I’m hoping the Owls can get up to Fargo next season to do battle with the Bison. It’s about time we find out how far the Owls still have to go.

HootyHoo
December 9th, 2019, 10:35 AM
12 and 0 will be tough

09/05 - Point University (https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/point-university/)
09/12 - at Kent State (https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/kent-state/)
09/19 - Alabama State (https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/alabama-state/)
09/26 - Missouri State (https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/missouri-state/)
10/03 - Samford (https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/samford/)

As it should be. KSU has been close to beating an FBS school and I have a good feeling about beating Kent St. Samford, Missouri St, and Alabama St shouldn’t be too much of a problem. Next season will be the first time that KSU has a fully developed roster in terms of depth and talent. This should be the best football team we’ve put on the field.

Blue Waves Crest
December 9th, 2019, 11:06 PM
was definitely a positive season for the Big South. The conference is finally starting to recover from losing Coastal Carolina and Liberty. Moving forward, KSU, Monmouth, UNA, and Campbell is a solid foundation. Idk, about the other teams, but the Owls should be strong next season with 39 upperclassmen and 17 returning starters. 12-0 and a top 4 seed is the goal.

Give me your predicted final Big South standings for 2020, include UNA for fun

gofurman
December 10th, 2019, 01:42 AM
Yup, now it's too late. The socon threw away the next Georgia Southern for ETSU, Mercer, and VMI. No wonder the conference is garbage.

THE NEXT GEORGIA SOUTHERN ??? THey have six national titles. I have no love for GSU. NONE. But Let's not go too far here Hooty. You did well and beat Woff. Good job. You won ONE game. ONE. GSU has SIX NATIONAL TITLES. That's quite a claim for a team to make who hasn't won a national title or gotten to the finals.

I think any reasonable person would agree that is a little much. That's like comparing Texas Tech to ALABAMA or something. C'mon man. I would think it better to keep humility until I actually won a little more. Good job to you all on winning a game. Seriously, congrats!! I think Monmouth won ONE also. neither of you is the "next GSU" until you prove that you are. I think most would agree your claim is a little out of touch with reasonability. That said, I appreciate your love for your team. Just keep the comparisons to NDSU and GSU in check. GSU was literally the NDSU of their time. You are basically saying you are the next NDSU..