PDA

View Full Version : Aeneas Williams - Hall of Famer?

dbackjon
May 21st, 2007, 09:56 PM
Speculation has been floating around Phoenix that Southern's Aeneas Williams, All-Pro CB for the Cardinals (and 1990's All-Decade CB), will sign a one-day contract and officially retire as a Cardinal.

Obviously, a great pro - but is he Hall of Fame worthy?

I say yes.

appfan2008
May 21st, 2007, 09:56 PM
i believe he is as well

813Jag
May 21st, 2007, 09:59 PM
I'm biased but I will still say yes. xthumbsupx A great player and a great man. I had the honor of watching him play growing up as a kid.
Edit: Here are some stats - 12 defensive touchdowns (9 interceptions returned for a touchdown, and 3 fumbles recovered for touchdowns), and 55 career interceptions. Recovered 23 fumbles and gained 1,075 total defensive return yards (807 from interceptions and 268 from fumbles)

MACHIAVELLI
May 22nd, 2007, 12:03 PM
He can get in as long as it is years after Everson Walls and Albert Lewis get in.

dbackjon
May 22nd, 2007, 12:21 PM
He can get in as long as it is years after Everson Walls and Albert Lewis get in.

You think that Walls and Lewis are better than Aeneas?

Aeneas went to the Pro Bowl as many times as the other two combined.

Or just saying that because Aeneas went to Southern, and Lewis and Walls went to Grambling?

MACHIAVELLI
May 22nd, 2007, 12:30 PM
You think that Walls and Lewis are better than Aeneas?

Yes.

dbackjon
May 22nd, 2007, 12:32 PM
Yes.

And you will back that up with what?

MACHIAVELLI
May 22nd, 2007, 12:41 PM
And you will back that up with what?

My opinion. What about you?

dbackjon
May 22nd, 2007, 12:44 PM
My opinion. What about you?

Well - I did throw out one solid fact - number of Pro Bowls...

MACHIAVELLI
May 22nd, 2007, 12:55 PM
Well - I did throw out one solid fact - number of Pro Bowls...

Is that it? Throw out more. Int's, TD's, Super Bowl rings, years in the league, other awards.

dbackjon
May 22nd, 2007, 01:09 PM
Is that it? Throw out more. Int's, TD's, Super Bowl rings, years in the league, other awards.

Williams - 55 INT's, 23 Fumble Recoveries, 12 Touchdowns, 807 return yards, All-Decade Team, 8 Pro Bowls, 1 Super Bowl ring

Walls - 57 INT's, 5 Fumble Recoveries, 1 Touchdown, 504 return yards, 4 Pro Bowls, DB of the year, 1 Super Bowl ring

Lewis - 42 INT's, 2 Fumble Recoveries, 3 Touchdowns, 403 return yards, 4 Pro Bowls.

Williams in a landslide!

MACHIAVELLI
May 22nd, 2007, 01:14 PM
Williams - 55 INT's, 23 Fumble Recoveries, 12 Touchdowns, 807 return yards, All-Decade Team, 8 Pro Bowls

Walls - 57 INT's, 5 Fumble Recoveries, 1 Touchdown, 504 return yards, Pro Bowls

Lewis - 42 INT's, 2 Fumble Recoveries, 3 Touchdowns, 403 return yards, 4 Pro Bowls.

Williams in a landslide!

I see you left out Super Bowl ring for Everson Walls, along with a DB of the year award. All of from a undrafted guy that ran a 4.72 40. Everson Walls for President.

dbackjon
May 22nd, 2007, 01:17 PM
I see you left out Super Bowl ring for Everson Walls, along with a DB of the year award. All of from a undrafted guy that ran a 4.72 40. Everson Walls for President.

Corrected, and added Williams' Super Bowl ring as well.

And you still think Walls is better?

MACHIAVELLI
May 22nd, 2007, 01:23 PM
Corrected, and added Williams' Super Bowl ring as well.

And you still think Walls is better?

I stand by my statement. Walls is one of the most prolific and decorated defensive backs to ever play the game. He is the only three-time season leader in interceptions. He also led his Cowboys in interceptions a franchise record five times, and was 10th all-time on the career interceptions list when he retired, with 57. In addition, he shares the career Pro Bowl interceptions record with four, and shares the single-game Pro Bowl record for interceptions with two. Walls remained one of the most feared cover cornerbacks in the league; eventually, quarterbacks were forced to stop throwing the ball to his side. In 1987, Walls was given a three-year deal worth 5.05 million. This made him the second-highest paid cornerback in the league

I thought that Williams attended Dartmouth. xpeacex

dbackjon
May 22nd, 2007, 01:31 PM
I stand by my statement. Walls is one of the most prolific and decorated defensive backs to ever play the game. He is the only three-time season leader in interceptions. He also led his Cowboys in interceptions a franchise record five times, and was 10th all-time on the career interceptions list when he retired, with 57. In addition, he shares the career Pro Bowl interceptions record with four, and shares the single-game Pro Bowl record for interceptions with two.

I thought that Williams attended Dartmouth. xpeacex

Williams was a Southern grad...

Williams dominated the game for a decade.

813Jag
May 22nd, 2007, 03:08 PM
Williams was a Southern grad...

Williams dominated the game for a decade.

He was admitted to Dartmouth but he only played one season at Southern.

dbackjon
May 22nd, 2007, 03:15 PM
He was admitted to Dartmouth but he only played one season at Southern.

But choose to go to Southern. He graduated in three years, started Grad School. That is when he played for Southern - and led I-AA in interceptions.

B&G
May 22nd, 2007, 03:44 PM
I think only 17 DB's have made it into the HOF. Only about 10 of those were CB's. Williams' numbers compare very favorably to those who are already enshrined. A possible obstacle for Williams is that he played on a lot of bad teams in Arizona and that can sometimes cause a player to slip from the voters' minds. If Williams had played for an organization like SF or Dallas, then he'd be a lock.

dbackjon
May 22nd, 2007, 03:50 PM
I think only 17 DB's have made it into the HOF. Only about 10 of those were CB's. Williams' numbers compare very favorably to those who are already enshrined. A possible obstacle for Williams is that he played on a lot of bad teams in Arizona and that can sometimes cause a player to slip from the voters' minds. If Williams had played for an organization like SF or Dallas, then he'd be a lock.

Well, the last DB inducted, Roger Werhli, was a Cardinal :D

He was key in Arizona's playoff run, and had two INT's in the Card's victory over Dallass in '98.

B&G
May 22nd, 2007, 04:13 PM
Well, the last DB inducted, Roger Werhli, was a Cardinal :D

He was key in Arizona's playoff run, and had two INT's in the Card's victory over Dallass in '98.

Yeah, and look how long it took for Wehrli to get inducted.

dbackjon
May 22nd, 2007, 04:14 PM
Yeah, and look how long it took for Wehrli to get inducted.

Very true -- not a lot of DB's make it.

B&G
May 22nd, 2007, 04:25 PM
Plus Williams will be overshadowed by Rod Woodson and Deion Sanders who will probably be the next two DB's enshrined.

By the way, one argument for Everson Walls is that he holds the record for most times leading the league in INT's. He's the only one to do that three times.

kardplayer
May 23rd, 2007, 06:42 AM
Has Williams ever been "posterized"? I know Walls has :D :D :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Catch_(American_football)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b5/Clark_si_cover.jpg/300px-Clark_si_cover.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Clark_si_cover.jpg)

813Jag
May 23rd, 2007, 07:16 AM
Even though I'm a Jaguar, 1 plus for Walls is that he is a Cowboy! xlolx xnodx

mikebigg
May 25th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Has Williams ever been "posterized"? I know Walls has :D :D :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Catch_(American_football)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b5/Clark_si_cover.jpg/300px-Clark_si_cover.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Clark_si_cover.jpg)

Don't put all of that on Walls... that was a helluva scramble by Montana to buy time. Clark made a good catch on a "broken" play in which he ran around in the endzone, changed directions and made a catch on a pass that Montana admitted he was throwing away!

Williams is HOF calibre and deserves to make it... but so does Walls and Albert Lewis. All are class guys and each has gone on to do great things after football. These guys lasted in the league for a long time and were well respected by the opposing teams during their time.

Walls was simply uncanny...no way a guy should make it in the league with his lack of speed. Nick Saban remarked that Walls was the smartest defensive football player that he ever coached in the NFL. Of all the interceptions Walls made, perhaps the biggest play of his career (often overlooked) is the brilliant open field td saving tackle made on Thurman Thomas in the Superbowl.

Kill'em
May 26th, 2007, 07:18 AM
This is a tough call. Williams got lots of exposure from ESPN that Walls didn't. Both were terrific CB's. Williams' exposure from ESPN made up for the fact he played for the Cardinals. I give this one to him because he didn't have the team for much of his career Walls had to help him out.

MACHIAVELLI
May 26th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Don't put all of that on Walls... that was a helluva scramble by Montana to buy time. Clark made a good catch on a "broken" play in which he ran around in the endzone, changed directions and made a catch on a pass that Montana admitted he was throwing away!

I was a 49er fan but Walls had an outstanding game, with seven tackles, three deflected passes, two interceptions, and a fumble recovery. But all people remember is the catch.

Cubby made an immediate impact, and being undrafted, leading the league in interceptions with 11 during his rookie season. He received a Pro Bowl invitation for his contributions.

I believe both should go but Cubby should go first.

MACHIAVELLI
May 31st, 2007, 03:06 PM
I believe both should go but Cubby should go first.

I have a feeling that Albert Lewis will go in before both of them.

Jax
June 8th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Sorry...just saw this thread. Yes A Williams is a Hall of Famer.

Gorilla89
June 12th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Very true -- not a lot of DB's make it.

Or kickers. The only kicker in the Hall of Fame came from an FCS school and the next one, if there is a next one, played in the NCC.

This will date me, but my two favorite DB's both played for the Stl. Cardinals. Larry Wilson and Pat Fischer.