PDA

View Full Version : Biggest upset?

clawman
November 25th, 2019, 08:27 AM
Looking through the bracket I'm wondering which team will be the biggest upset in the second round.

clawman
November 25th, 2019, 12:05 PM
IMO SDSU is dangerous and could likely go to Frisco.

Mattymc727
November 25th, 2019, 12:15 PM
Torn between Montana and UCA

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2019, 12:18 PM
If Wofford beats KSU I can assure you that Weber hasn't seen a defense as good as Wofford's. The Southern conference, for all its woes of not making the semis in years past, is the one non-valley conference that sends teams to the playoffs that play good defense and runs the ball. There are exceptions in every conference, obviously, but a lot of the CAA/Big Sky/Southland likes to make these games a track meet. The socon and Valley don't.

Weber is the one team in the Big Sky that likes to slow things down with defense and the run game, but I'm telling you, Wofford (and even kennesaw, if they beat Wofford) will bring a kind of run game that Weber isn't used to and a defense that specializes in stopping the run.

Sycamore62
November 25th, 2019, 12:21 PM

unless they run into a powerhouse like USD

uni88
November 25th, 2019, 12:26 PM
If Wofford beats KSU I can assure you that Weber hasn't seen a defense as good as Wofford's.

Are you sure about that?

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/team/22

ElCid
November 25th, 2019, 12:29 PM
If Wofford beats KSU I can assure you that Weber hasn't seen a defense as good as Wofford's.

After looking at some of the scores in the Big Sky this season, I'm sure most of them don't actually field defenses. A couple do, but most are average to bad.

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2019, 12:30 PM
Are you sure about that?

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/team/22

Wofford is ranked 21st in total defense because we let the Clemson Tigers rack up 700 yards on us. No worries, they do that to Power 5 FBS teams.

Against FCS competition our 334 yards per game drops to below 300, roughly in 8th place nationally.

POD Knows
November 25th, 2019, 12:38 PM
IMO SDSU is dangerous and could likely go to Frisco.Really, they are a MASH unit.

Tazman2664
November 25th, 2019, 12:41 PM
Second round upset:
NDSU and JMU are automatics, I would not even send a team to their places.
Central Arkansas is the lowest seed and will have a good game.
Montana State and Sacramento State made their cases by the year they had.
SDSU gets UNI. It will be at home but SDSU is with a backup QB and he did not look good against SD.
Montana and Weber State made their cases by the year they had.

So it will come down to Central Arkansas and SDSU. I am not sure about Central Arkansas and injury issues but SDSU and their QB situation makes them very susceptible to getting beat, thus my bet would be on SDSU.

uni88
November 25th, 2019, 12:42 PM
Wofford is ranked 21st in total defense because we let the Clemson Tigers rack up 700 yards on us. No worries, they do that to Power 5 FBS teams.

Against FCS competition our 334 yards per game drops to below 300, roughly in 8th place nationally.

UNI is ranked 11th and played the #1, #3 and #7 seeds and FBS #24 Iowa State all on the road. Weber has seen a good defense.

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2019, 12:44 PM
UNI is ranked 11th and played the #1, #3 and #7 seeds and FBS #24 Iowa State all on the road. Weber has seen a good defense.

Fair enough. But if memory serves, that second half didn't go so hot for the Weber offense. We'll just have to see. Wofford has to beat Kennesaw first.

grayghost06
November 25th, 2019, 12:45 PM
Haha! Love the 2 votes on JMU. Suspect they represent more of the people that have been voting JMU 4th all year rather than real believers in Monmouth/Holy Cross.

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2019, 12:47 PM
Not nearly enough Sac State votes

uofmman1122
November 25th, 2019, 01:52 PM
Not nearly enough Sac State votes
I actually agree.

They've looked vulnerable the last few weeks, which I think is a reflection on Thomson not being 100%.

If Thomson gets back to 100%, though, I think they've got a great shot at getting to the Semis.

97Torero
November 25th, 2019, 01:52 PM
San Diego over SDSU. 😃

F'N Hawks
November 25th, 2019, 01:57 PM
Fair enough. But if memory serves, that second half didn't go so hot for the Weber offense. We'll just have to see. Wofford has to beat Kennesaw first.

Weber's strength is their defensive front. Their secondary is the weakness - if you can't/don't exploit that it could be an issue.

BisonBacker
November 25th, 2019, 02:17 PM
Really, they are a MASH unit.

That's what I was thinking too. If UNI takes care of first round business the potential for that being the upset game is there "IF" farley doesn't "Farley things up" lol

BisonBacker
November 25th, 2019, 02:18 PM
San Diego over SDSU. 

Don't see that one happening. Your San Diego boys are going to be looking for the warm bus next Saturday.

CappinHard
November 25th, 2019, 02:23 PM

Most people don't agree with you... probably an over reaction to the loss against USeD. That game was the same story as our loss to ISUr... turnovers. I've seen people cite the freshman QB as being the reason we won't go far in the playoffs, but he's not the problem right now, it's fumbling the ball. 4 out of 12 possessions ended with a fumble, and we still lost by 3. If we can take care of the ball, we have a real shot at going to Frisco.

Imo, Wofford could give Weber St. a run for their money, and Nova might be able to keep Montana close enough to win. Outside of those 2, UCA will have a tough game likely against SEMO considering ISUr's injury situation. SDSU will have a tough game against UNI with them likely being healthier than they were the first time we played.

If I had to rank the upset probability, I would go:

Possible upsets:
1. UCA
2. SDSU
3. Montana
4. Weber St.

Not Likely upsets:
5. Sac St.
6. Montana St.

Highly improbable upsets:
7. JMU
8. NDSU

clawman
November 25th, 2019, 03:18 PM
After looking at some of the scores in the Big Sky this season, I'm sure most of them don't actually field defenses. A couple do, but most are average to bad.

I can assure you there are 11 men on the field every play,... well usually

clawman
November 25th, 2019, 03:22 PM
Don't see that one happening. Your San Diego boys are going to be looking for the warm bus next Saturday.

How would those Bison react to a football game in real weather not the cushy dome?

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 25th, 2019, 03:27 PM
How would those Bison react to a football game in real weather not the cushy dome?

NDSU has a better road record during this dynasty.

- - - Updated - - -

I think UNI over SDSU has the most potential.

POD Knows
November 25th, 2019, 03:28 PM
How would those Bison react to a football game in real weather not the cushy dome?We would win handily, we have won a few games outside before, maybe you should do some research.

Outsider1
November 25th, 2019, 03:34 PM
I voted Montana after their loss to Montana St. It's the end of the year and I ask myself if they have they become vulnerable?. I am not positive, but for me it is a good guess.

Tazman2664
November 25th, 2019, 03:37 PM

They played at SDSU, at ISU and at SIU, top 3 of the next top 4 in the MV. I think they can play outside.

clenz
November 25th, 2019, 03:38 PM
We would win handily, we have won a few games outside before, maybe you should do some research.
I always find it amazing everyone is like "You get to play UNI/NDSU outside and it's an advantage" like UNI and NDSU aren't also in the frozen tundra (and actually far worse than what 95% of the subdivision can think of throwing out for winter weather) and don't practice outside.

Here is a hint, UNI and NDSU don't practice indoors unless lightning/excessive rain causes the fields to be an issue or the game is indoors.

I mean....this was UNI at practice literally a week ago
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EJNQ71aXUAAUFgV?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EJNQ71xX0AAjL7P?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

POD Knows
November 25th, 2019, 03:52 PM
I always find it amazing everyone is like "You get to play UNI/NDSU outside and it's an advantage" like UNI and NDSU aren't also in the frozen tundra (and actually far worse than what 95% of the subdivision can think of throwing out for winter weather) and don't practice outside.

Here is a hint, UNI and NDSU don't practice indoors unless lightning/excessive rain causes the fields to be an issue or the game is indoors.

Also, teams like NDSU/UNI aren't these types of spread offense teams that get effected by the weather. If you can run the ball and play good D, the elements aren't that big of a factor.

Sycamore62
November 25th, 2019, 03:58 PM

I thought NDSU built an indoor practice facility so they wouldnt have to practice outside. Ive never given much thought to having an advantage because of the elements unless you game specifically suites one of those elements.

POD Knows
November 25th, 2019, 04:06 PM
I thought NDSU built an indoor practice facility so they wouldnt have to practice outside. Ive never given much thought to having an advantage because of the elements unless you game specifically suites one of those elements.NDSU started raising $$ for IPF last year but I believe that they use a "bubble" for football practice but they still practice outside once in a while. I agree with you on the elements thing, it will effect one team more than another based on the style of football they play.

https://gobison.com/news/2018/5/23/general-ndsu-athletics-to-begin-fundraising-for-indoor-football-practice-facility.aspx

clenz
November 25th, 2019, 04:07 PM
I thought NDSU built an indoor practice facility so they wouldnt have to practice outside. Ive never given much thought to having an advantage because of the elements unless you game specifically suites one of those elements.They have a bubble. Working towards an IPF up there. They have advantages. UNI's big IPF advantage is not having to build one on top of our stadium as we own our stadium and have full access/priority to it 24/7

SDSU - the one outdoor upper midwest FCS team - made their IPF their main priority in everything they did.

UNI can/does still practice in the dome. However, if you are expecting to play in the snow/rain/cold/wind you practice in it.

UNI isn't going to spend a week practicing in the dome getting ready to play in Brookings, Missoula, Bozeman, Cheney, Ogden, Cedar City, Maine, Hew Hampshire, etc. in December.

Now if UNI is going to Cal Poly (and others) in December it makes sense to practice the dome where it is 72* every single day of the year

The idea that NDSU, UND, UNI, etc. couldn't handle playing outside because 6 or 7 times a year during the regular season they spend 3 hours in a dome is something I've always found interesting.

POD Knows
November 25th, 2019, 04:10 PM
They have a bubble. Working towards an IPF up there. They have advantages. UNI's big IPF advantage is not having to build one on top of our stadium as we own our stadium and have full access/priority to it 24/7

SDSU - the one outdoor upper midwest FCS team - made their IPF their main priority in everything they did.

UNI can/does still practice in the dome. However, if you are expecting to play in the snow/rain/cold/wind you practice in it.

UNI isn't going to spend a week practicing in the dome getting ready to play in Brookings, Missoula, Bozeman, Cheney, Ogden, Cedar City, Maine, Hew Hampshire, etc. in December.

Now if UNI is going to Cal Poly (and others) in December it makes sense to practice the dome where it is 72* every single day of the year

The idea that NDSU, UND, UNI, etc. couldn't handle playing outside because 6 or 7 times a year during the regular season they spend 3 hours in a dome is something I've always found interesting.:D Interesting is a nice word, stupid as **** is a better phrase.

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2019, 04:14 PM
My hot take is that weather effects everyone differently, even those who are from colder climates. The weather is pretty consistent everywhere from August to early November in terms of average temperature. If it gets colder, there's a difference between playing in 45 degrees and 20 IMO and I'm pretty sure the 20s weather doesn't show up until late November (y'all Midwestern folks can correct me if I'm wrong)

Weird stuff happens in colder weather. I remember Wofford and Youngstown State playing in the teens and both sides has some craziness happen with kicking the ball on special teams. Same with the 10 turnover game South Dakota had against James Madison.

I think it's possible that it may effect some warmer climate teams worse than others, but I really think it has more to do with your style of play (running the ball helps you stay consistent).

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PantherRob82
November 25th, 2019, 04:19 PM
Also, teams like NDSU/UNI aren't these types of spread offense teams that get effected by the weather. If you can run the ball and play good D, the elements aren't that big of a factor.

We can't run the ball this year.

clenz
November 25th, 2019, 04:19 PM
My hot take is that weather effects everyone differently, even those who are from colder climates. The weather is pretty consistent everywhere from August to early November in terms of average temperature. If it gets colder, there's a difference between playing in 45 degrees and 20 IMO and I'm pretty sure the 20s weather doesn't show up until late November (y'all Midwestern folks can correct me if I'm wrong)

Weird stuff happens in colder weather. I remember Wofford and Youngstown State playing in the teens and both sides has some craziness happen with kicking the ball on special teams. Same with the 10 turnover game South Dakota had against James Madison.

I think it's possible that it may effect some warmer climate teams worse than others, but I really think it has more to do with your style of play (running the ball helps you stay consistent).

We had -6 on the thermometer a couple weeks ago here in Iowa. Been dipping below freezing since the first full week of October.

There's talk of a third snow storm system hitting Iowa already this year and dumping 7-10 inches again this week.

ElCid
November 25th, 2019, 04:28 PM
We had -6 on the thermometer weeks ago here in Iowa.

Yeah, I don't care who a teams is or is from, that will affect any team if they have to play in it. Brr...and ouch.

But there may be a few here who's memories may be short. As I recall I think a team from SC traveled to Montana not too many years ago in early December and beat the Griz in their cold weather after everyone said they would freeze. I think weather affects everyone to some degree, but will not usually make or break a team...especially a team who lives in it even if they play in a dome of some type.

MSUBobcat
November 25th, 2019, 04:30 PM

You're wrong (somewhat). 20's is about as likely from late October/early November as 60s is. It's not the average daily temp, but it's easily possible. Growing up across the river from Bismarck, I can't remember ever trick or treating without snow on the ground and a winter jacket under the costume.

clenz
November 25th, 2019, 04:33 PM
Yeah, I don't care who a teams is or is from, that will affect any team if they have to play in it. Brr...and ouch.

But there may be a few here who's memories may be short. As I recall I think a team from SC traveled to Montana not too many years ago in early December and beat the Griz in their cold weather after everyone said they would freeze. I think weather affects everyone to some degree, but will not usually make or break a team...especially a team who lives in it even if they play in a dome of some type.
Yup.

I said the same thing about JSU/Maine last year.

What is more likely to happen (as did with JSU) is the team from the warmer climate has to fight the mental block if things start to go wrong more than the northern team. It gets much colder real quick once things turn south with momentum. The threshold that needs to be met for that cliff is different for a northern vs a southern team though.

It wasn't the cold, directly, that would break JSU. Cold is cold. Everyone hates it. I've live in Iowa my whole life and I bitch about it non-stop. They were a mentally weak team and it was made even more apparent when the cold weather was introduced. If you avoid that "here we go" moment of the game the cold doesn't have that great an impact compared to what it does to the northern team.

clenz
November 25th, 2019, 04:35 PM
You're wrong (somewhat). 20's is about as likely from late October/early November as 60s is. It's not the average daily temp, but it's easily possible. Growing up across the river from Bismarck, I can't remember ever trick or treating without snow on the ground and a winter jacket under the costume.
This here. We've ranged from -6 to almost 60 in the last 2 weeks here in Iowa. We've had 2 snow events of 6 plus inches and currently have no snow, and it's been in the 40s or 50s for like 5 days. However, starting tomorrow it drops to 20s and snow storms again.

However, even if UNI played outside the snow wouldn't impact the game. It should** stay west of CF at least for this week

My kids have yet to get a costume that actually fits them for Halloween. It's always a size or two big to fit coats/sweats under it.

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2019, 04:37 PM
In a weird inversion of the temperature discussion, when Wofford played Wyoming last year, it was 100 degrees in Laramie but with no humidity. We lost the game, but players and parents reported it was fine bc it was a dry heat. No idea how the folks in brown and yellow thought though

MSUBobcat
November 25th, 2019, 04:39 PM

I think most of us missed the mark on that one. As has been discussed, cold/snow is a lot easier to deal with if you're a physical team that likes to run the ball. Coastal that year got 53% of their offensive yards and 62.5% of their TDs from rushing. The Griz got only 41% of their yards and 44% of their TDs from rushing. Probably should have delved a bit deeper before predicting that one.

97Torero
November 25th, 2019, 04:42 PM
When San Diego beat Cal Poly and it’s run game a few years ago, it was a mud bowl. That evened things up. 2 years ago they played in the dome at Northern Ariz and won by 34. Dome and altitude didn’t matter.
San Diego’s oline has been improving all year with 4 new starters (3 sophomores and a junior) while breaking in a 1st year QB. They are well coached and playing well. I’m not concerned about our ability to score. It’s our ability to stop a power team from scoring. San Diego D-line is undersized at best. Hardest position to recruit. Having to stack the line to stop the run leaves DB’s on an island. Looking forward to seeing how we do.
On a side note, what’s all the white stuff in the pics. Looks like sand. Ha.

MSUBobcat
November 25th, 2019, 04:45 PM
In a weird inversion of the temperature discussion, when Wofford played Wyoming last year, it was 100 degrees in Laramie but with no humidity. We lost the game, but players and parents reported it was fine bc it was a dry heat. No idea how the folks in brown and yellow thought though

First off, no one gives 2 ****s about that hell hole. But 100 degrees isn't as uncommon in late August/early September as some people think. Mid-September is more rare, but you're really only 2-3 weeks removed from consistently mid-90s so it's not like, "Holy ****, where did this come from!!"

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 25th, 2019, 05:12 PM
I think UNI beats SDSU and 'Nova might take down Montana.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 25th, 2019, 05:23 PM

xchinscratchx

No

clawman
November 25th, 2019, 10:33 PM

A big factor in the Griz vs CC chickens was preparation. The Griz wanted to look tough and not wear any cold weather gear while the CC coaches rounded up all the wool and warm clothes he could find. By the end of the game all the Griz wanted was a warm locker room and the Chantilears were ready for more.

uofmman1122
November 25th, 2019, 10:37 PM
A big factor in the Griz vs CC chickens was preparation. The Griz wanted to look tough and not wear any cold weather gear while the CC coaches rounded up all the wool and warm clothes he could find. By the end of the game all the Griz wanted was a warm locker room and the Chantilears were ready for more.
Yeah, they made us all look pretty foolish that day.

CappinHard
November 26th, 2019, 12:51 AM
xchinscratchx

No

https://i.giphy.com/media/9PMC8BD8b2AaA/giphy.gif

BisonBacker
November 26th, 2019, 05:30 AM

Bwahahaha is this supposed to concern anyone xlolx

BisonBacker
November 26th, 2019, 05:33 AM
I think UNI beats SDSU and 'Nova might take down Montana.

Agree on the first prediction but not so sure on the second one. Both Nova and Montana have had some head scratchers this year so I guess anything is possible but I'd think the first may be more likely than the second prediction. Will be interesting. The fact that SDSU got a seed is a joke.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 26th, 2019, 06:39 AM

I'm on "the list"....??

xthumbsupx

Derby City Duke
November 26th, 2019, 07:08 AM

After about a quarter and a half in 2016, the kids from Sam Houston didn't want to hit anymore. With an average of about 60 in December in Huntsville, they did not tolerate well the mid-20s at kickoff that night. Think the temps dipped to around 20 degrees by the 3rd quarter.

JacksFan40
November 26th, 2019, 09:12 AM
Second round upset:
NDSU and JMU are automatics, I would not even send a team to their places.
Central Arkansas is the lowest seed and will have a good game.
Montana State and Sacramento State made their cases by the year they had.
SDSU gets UNI. It will be at home but SDSU is with a backup QB and he did not look good against SD.
Montana and Weber State made their cases by the year they had.

So it will come down to Central Arkansas and SDSU. I am not sure about Central Arkansas and injury issues but SDSU and their QB situation makes them very susceptible to getting beat, thus my bet would be on SDSU.
SDSU beat UNI by 31 just 2 weeks ago with said backup QB. As long as we get Pierre Strong and CJ Wilson back we should win. Of course I thought we'd beat USD so what do I know.

JacksFan40
November 26th, 2019, 09:13 AM
unless they run into a powerhouse like USD
Same USD that beat you guys 38-0?

clenz
November 26th, 2019, 09:26 AM
SDSU beat UNI by 31 just 2 weeks ago with said backup QB. As long as we get Pierre Strong and CJ Wilson back we should win. Of course I thought we'd beat USD so what do I know.
Yup.

UNI is ****ed in that game.

Prime Power
November 26th, 2019, 09:37 AM
Everyone saying that UNI is gonna beat SDSU because they have the backup QB and backup RB, are you forgetting that SDSU beat UNI 38-7 less than two weeks ago with the same players? Granted, UNI had turnovers and SDSU didn't, UNI couldn't do anything on offense. I think if UNI gets by San Diego, they get beaten by SDSU. Will be a much closer game, but still SDSU wins.

clenz
November 26th, 2019, 09:41 AM
Everyone saying that UNI is gonna beat SDSU because they have the backup QB and backup RB, are you forgetting that SDSU beat UNI 38-7 less than two weeks ago with the same players? Granted, UNI had turnovers and SDSU didn't, UNI couldn't do anything on offense. I think if UNI gets by San Diego, they get beaten by SDSU. Will be a much closer game, but still SDSU wins.
Agreed.

A healthy UNI stands no chance.

Book the plane tickets to Virginia for SDSU.

cx500d
November 26th, 2019, 09:55 AM
Agreed.

A healthy UNI stands no chance.

Book the plane tickets to Virginia for SDSU.

how many turnovers in that one?

CappinHard
November 26th, 2019, 01:14 PM
I'm on "the list"....??

xthumbsupx

Just noted your comment is all. Thought it was interesting. Could be fun to revisit.

ST_Lawson
November 26th, 2019, 01:15 PM

I just can't wrap my brain around USD this year. They crush INSU, MSU, YSU, and are able to take down SDSU, but we beat them‽ How does that work?

CappinHard
November 26th, 2019, 01:17 PM
how many turnovers in that one?

Hey man... Just because we had a hundred turnovers the last time we went to JMU doesn't mean it will happen again... This is a completely different SDSU team that doesn't turn the ball over... Ah ****... xlolx

JacksFan40
November 26th, 2019, 01:43 PM
I just can't wrap my brain around USD this year. They crush INSU, MSU, YSU, and are able to take down SDSU, but we beat them‽ How does that work?
You're also forgetting they lost to Houston Baptist of all teams. USD is a weird team that looks unstoppable one game and proceeds to get beat by a far worse team the next one.

ST_Lawson
November 26th, 2019, 01:48 PM
You're also forgetting they lost to Houston Baptist of all teams. USD is a weird team that looks unstoppable one game and proceeds to get beat by a far worse team the next one.

Nah, I didn't forget...just didn't want to go through their whole season of WTF results.

JacksFan40
November 26th, 2019, 02:29 PM
Nah, I didn't forget...just didn't want to go through their whole season of WTF results.
Both the UxDs have been all over the place this year. UND one week beats a top team like Montana State and in another week gets beat 55-20 by Idaho State.

caribbeanhen
November 26th, 2019, 02:33 PM
the biggest upset would have to go to all the folks upset about a tent.... boo ****ing hoo

Outsider1
November 26th, 2019, 03:22 PM
the biggest upset would have to go to all the folks upset about a tent.... boo ****ing hoo

xdrunkyx

Bison56
November 26th, 2019, 03:25 PM

Winnerxthumbsupx

ElCid
November 26th, 2019, 05:04 PM

AGS.......how did we beat GaTech and lose to VMI? Or how did we beat Furman and then they crushed VMI? It happens. Overall, it's been a slightly weird season. Hope we see some weirdness in the playoffs. Makes for some good moaning.

Grizalltheway
November 26th, 2019, 05:10 PM
That should go solely to the resident snowflake hater Bisonater, since his sensibilities were offended enough to start a thread on it.

Bisonator
November 27th, 2019, 08:51 AM
That should go solely to the resident snowflake hater Bisonater, since his sensibilities were offended enough to start a thread on it.
Huh? I didn't start it and I couldn't care less about it. UND can go to hell as far as I'm concerned, in fact I wish they would! xlolx

Tazman2664
November 27th, 2019, 09:08 AM

BisonBacker is the one who started that thread. It is a shame to blame someone when you can just actually read the thread. But that is the trick, READ before you react, your credibility will hold up much better.

Fordham
November 27th, 2019, 09:45 AM
UNI is the best bet imo.

I'm going to put a marker down that may get ridiculed since they're underdogs in Rd 1 but CCSU is my darkhorse candidate in the playoffs this year. Only 1 loss and it was a heartbreaking one in the last 10 seconds to FBS-Bowl-eligible Eastern Michigan (https://www.espn.com/college-football/recap?gameId=401119267). Their QB Winchester is legit and has an older, experienced OL to run behind. He can beat you with his arm and especially running which is one of those things you need when playing up to extend plays and drives. Not sure their D will be up to the task but it they could be ok with a shootout. Insert Jim Carrey Dumb and Dumber gif ... here.

Grizalltheway
November 27th, 2019, 11:10 AM
BisonBacker is the one who started that thread. It is a shame to blame someone when you can just actually read the thread. But that is the trick, READ before you react, your credibility will hold up much better.
My bad. The point still stands.

Sycamore62
November 27th, 2019, 01:33 PM

Yes the same one that will play one less game than you this year

Lorne_Malvo
November 27th, 2019, 01:37 PM
Biggest upset?

Me. I dont get any pumpkin pie this year since I started keto a few weeks ago, so yeah, I am UPSET!

SeattleGriz
November 27th, 2019, 03:04 PM
Voted UCA, then remembered how beat up SDSU supposedly is right now. Would have voted them if I remembered.

uni88
November 27th, 2019, 03:18 PM
Voted UCA, then remembered how beat up SDSU supposedly is right now. Would have voted them if I remembered.Have you read clenz's posts about UNI'e mash unit?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

BEAR
November 27th, 2019, 10:12 PM
I don't think it will be UCA. This time we don't have a coach that will clean out his office the night of the playoff game so he could rush to his FBS job. xlolx

Mike296
November 27th, 2019, 10:39 PM
If APSU gets by Furman, Watch out Sac St.

Professor Chaos
December 1st, 2019, 12:42 AM
Now that we know the matchups this question is a bit easier to answer.

I'd say Illinois St has the best chance of any road team. Their stout defense will travel well and if they can ride Robinson again on offense like they did today they can definitely upset UCA on the hotel carpet.

Even though they looked pretty bad today UNI over SDSU would be my next best guess just due to familiarity and the monstrous chip UNI should have on their shoulders from the seeding snub and the bad taste in their mouths from the first matchup between these two.

I also think Austin Peay has a shot out in Sacramento. Same as it was for Illinois St defense travels and they've got a good one.

I think Albany and Kennesaw have a punchers chance but not likely.

I'd say SLU, Nicholls, and Monmouth all need a whole lot of things to go their way to have a shot.

CHIP72
December 1st, 2019, 05:34 AM
Slightly OT: it may have been a good thing for North Dakota State that they did not play on Saturday (11/30); both the #1 ranked team in D2 (Valdosta State) and the #1 ranked team in D3 (Mount Union) fell in round of 16 games.

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2019, 06:03 AM
Now that we know the matchups this question is a bit easier to answer.

I'd say Illinois St has the best chance of any road team. Their stout defense will travel well and if they can ride Robinson again on offense like they did today they can definitely upset UCA on the hotel carpet.

Even though they looked pretty bad today UNI over SDSU would be my next best guess just due to familiarity and the monstrous chip UNI should have on their shoulders from the seeding snub and the bad taste in their mouths from the first matchup between these two.

I also think Austin Peay has a shot out in Sacramento. Same as it was for Illinois St defense travels and they've got a good one.

I think Albany and Kennesaw have a punchers chance but not likely.

I'd say SLU, Nicholls, and Monmouth all need a whole lot of things to go their way to have a shot.

not sure what else you need to see or are you thinking a blizzard will do SELA in?

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 1st, 2019, 06:56 AM
After watching UNI and their crappy offensive game, if they play like that against SDSU, the Jacks win easily.

After yesterday, Ill State probably has he best shot at an "upset", IMO.

Professor Chaos
December 1st, 2019, 07:56 AM
not sure what else you need to see or are you thinking a blizzard will do SELA in?
No one has gotten within 2 scores of Montana at WaGriz this year and they've played some pretty decent teams there (Monmouth, EWU, Weber St). I also think they're still smarting from an embarrassing loss to Montana St to end the season. The crowd should be amped up for the first home (non-Thanksgiving weekend) playoff game in 6 years. If/when Montana gets knocked out I think it'll be away from WaGriz.

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2019, 08:19 AM
No one has gotten within 2 scores of Montana at WaGriz this year and they've played some pretty decent teams there (Monmouth, EWU, Weber St). I also think they're still smarting from an embarrassing loss to Montana St to end the season. The crowd should be amped up for the first home (non-Thanksgiving weekend) home game in 6 years. If/when Montana gets knocked out I think it'll be away from WaGriz.

I can agree with all of that, but I don't think any of those good teams have the speed and talent that SeLa will bring north, I know it could all come crumbling down in a hurry for them though.... weather and rabid buzzed xdrunkyx crowd could compound against the Lions

this is what makes the playoffs great!

POD Knows
December 1st, 2019, 08:26 AM
I can agree with all of that, but I don't think any of those good teams have the speed and talent that SeLa will bring north, I know it could all come crumbling down in a hurry for them though.... weather and rabid buzzed xdrunkyx crowd could compound against the Lions

this is what makes the playoffs great!I picked UNI to upset SDSU but watching that clown show of an offense by UNI yesterday may have changed my mind. I think SELA has a shot at Montana, Montana looked like dog**** against MSU and freaking MSU lost to UND and UND sucks. I also think AP has a decent shot at Sac State, they looked really good yesterday from the little I saw. But the big upset of the weekend will be Nicholls over NDSU #BOOKIT

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2019, 08:32 AM
I picked UNI to upset SDSU but watching that clown show of an offense by UNI yesterday may have changed my mind. I think SELA has a shot at Montana, Montana looked like dog**** against MSU and freaking MSU lost to UND and UND sucks. I also think AP has a decent shot at Sac State, they looked really good yesterday from the little I saw. But the big upset of the weekend will be Nicholls over NDSU #BOOKIT

Yea, I think UNI has better talent at DB then WR... maybe they should switch over...

SELA does have a shot, both Montana's have hit us with some WTF moments both good and bad ....

agree on AP... Sac State better be ready

the only way Nicholls will show upset is if you put them out in a tent night before game....... they will be beat down splattered and curb stomped ....

POD Knows
December 1st, 2019, 08:43 AM
Yea, I think UNI has better talent at DB then WR... maybe they should switch over...

SELA does have a shot, both Montana's have hit us with some WTF moments both good and bad ....

agree on AP... Sac State better be ready

the only way Nicholls will show upset is if you put them out in a tent night before game....... they will be beat down splattered and curb stomped ....I have only watched two Montana games this year, I watched a replay of the Sac State game and I just watched a replay of the Montana State game and they looked like one of the worst teams I have seen this year, but they also beat WSU bad and UC Davis bad so you never know what you are going to get. Teams that are hot and cold like this are generally poorly coached and poorly disciplined, I think that is what you get with Montana. Their D is really vulnerable and SE LA looks really good on offense, could be real interesting.

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2019, 08:52 AM
I have only watched two Montana games this year, I watched a replay of the Sac State game and I just watched a replay of the Montana State game and they looked like one of the worst teams I have seen this year, but they also beat WSU bad and UC Davis bad so you never know what you are going to get. Teams that are hot and cold like this are generally poorly coached and poorly disciplined, I think that is what you get with Montana. Their D is really vulnerable and SE LA looks really good on offense, could be real interesting.

I admit I have seen very little of Montana this year, saw some of the opener at S Dakota... liked the QB and WR Sam Akem....looks like he been out the past few games

saw Montana St at W Illinois where they looked not that good and at UC Davis where they looked solid....

I need to study up ....

POD Knows
December 1st, 2019, 08:55 AM
I admit I have seen very little of Montana this year, saw some of the opener at S Dakota... liked the QB and WR Sam Akem....looks like he been out the past few games

saw Montana St at W Illinois where they looked not that good and at UC Davis where they looked solid....

I need to study up ....
The MSU/Montana game is out on Youtube, that is where I was it. MSU looked really good, Montana completely phoned it in.

Daytripper
December 1st, 2019, 08:55 AM
After looking at the match ups, I will take Austin Peay over Sac State.

POD Knows
December 1st, 2019, 09:59 AM

I need to study up ....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=639&v=QWqBPoT7d0I&feature=emb_ logo

Go Lehigh TU Owl
December 1st, 2019, 10:01 AM
I could see everyone but NDSU and JMU losing. I just don't think there's a whole lot that separates 3-15 or so on MOST Saturdays.

Professor Chaos
December 1st, 2019, 11:03 AM
Depending on your POV take this as worth absolutely nothing or as an interesting trend but one thing working against Illinois St and Kennesaw St is the fact that teams are 0 for their last 15 trying to win road games in back-to-back weeks in the FCS playoffs. The last to do it was Colgate in 2015 who won at UNH in the 1st round and then at JMU in the 2nd round. Since then all of these teams have tried and failed:

2015: UNI lost to NDSU after beating Portland St
2015: Colgate lost to SHSU after beating JMU
2015: Richmond lost to NDSU after beating Illinois St
2016: San Diego lost to NDSU after beating Cal Poly
2016: Wofford lost to YSU after beating The Citadel
2016: Richmond lost to EWU after beating UND
2017: South Dakota lost to SHSU after beating Nicholls
2017: Furman lost to Wofford after beating Elon
2017: San Diego lost to NDSU after beating UNA
2017: Kennesaw lost to SHSU after beating JSU
2017: UNH lost to SDSU after beating UCA
2017: Weber St lost to JMU after beating SUU
2018: Duquesne lost to SDSU after beating Towson
2018: Maine lost to EWU after beating Weber St
2018: SDSU lost to NDSU after beating KSU

Daytripper
December 1st, 2019, 11:28 AM
Depending on your POV take this as worth absolutely nothing or as an interesting trend but one thing working against Illinois St and Kennesaw St is the fact that teams are 0 for their last 15 trying to win road games in back-to-back weeks in the FCS playoffs. The last to do it was Colgate in 2015 who won at UNH in the 1st round and then at JMU in the 2nd round. Since then all of these teams have tried and failed:

2015: UNI lost to NDSU after beating Portland St
2015: Colgate lost to SHSU after beating JMU
2015: Richmond lost to NDSU after beating Illinois St
2016: San Diego lost to NDSU after beating Cal Poly
2016: Wofford lost to YSU after beating The Citadel
2016: Richmond lost to EWU after beating UND
2017: South Dakota lost to SHSU after beating Nicholls
2017: Furman lost to Wofford after beating Elon
2017: San Diego lost to NDSU after beating UNA
2017: Kennesaw lost to SHSU after beating JSU
2017: UNH lost to SDSU after beating UCA
2017: Weber St lost to JMU after beating SUU
2018: Duquesne lost to SDSU after beating Towson
2018: Maine lost to EWU after beating Weber St
2018: SDSU lost to NDSU after beating KSU

Sam Houston did it in 2014 by beating Jacksonville State in the second round and Villanova in the quarters. That may be the last time prior to Colgate.