PDA

View Full Version : #8 Villanova @ #22 Southeastern Louisiana

Pages : 1 [2]

Professor Chaos
November 30th, 2019, 11:07 PM
I still don't see how anyone can claim the referees "stole the win" from Nova ignoring the fact that, had the stripes not thrown that flag, SLU would've had 90 seconds left and 3 TOs to answer. It sucks for all of us (except SLU fans probably) that we didn't get to see what would've happened but I'd say chances are pretty good that Nova loses anyway with how their defense was getting shredded in the 2nd half. Could've been just OT too I guess if Nova would've gone for 2 after that TD and got it to go up 7.

McNeese72
November 30th, 2019, 11:50 PM
Just saw the replay. Maybe SE Louisiana deserved to win...but that call was a disgrace. Also, 11 penalties for Villanova to 3 for the Lions. Not the first time a Northern school has ref problems in the Deep South. Makes you wonder. Just sayin'.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought the refs were from the Big Sky Conference. I wonder how many of them were from the south and out to get Nova????

Doc

McNeese72
November 30th, 2019, 11:56 PM
Nova seems to go to the blame game everytime they travel south and things don't work out. We heard all this before when they came to the Hole back in the day.

Yeah, it was on a pick play where our DB actually got blocked and they got called for offensive pass interference. They whined for months that they ran that play all game long and the refs didn't call it until then. It was a very obvious call back then when you viewed the replay of the game.

Doc

Gangtackle11
December 1st, 2019, 12:45 AM
Well.......Nova has led at half in 11 of 13 games this season. Only JMU & Richmond games were they behind at intermission. What happens in their half time is the great mystery because they have blown several double digit leads including this 17 point lead.

The pass interference call was a joke. No way anyone can honestly say it was a good call, but Nova has only their listless 2nd half play to blame for their season ending in Hammond, LA.

Good luck to SE Louisiana. xpeacex

lionsrking2
December 1st, 2019, 03:22 AM
Well.......Nova has led at half in 12 of 13 games this season. Only the Richmond game were they behind at intermission. What happens in their half time is the great mystery because they have blown several double digit leads including this 17 point lead.

The pass interference call was a joke. No way anyone can honestly say it was a good call, but Nova has only their listless 2nd half play to blame for their season ending in Hammond, LA.

Good game Gang. Hope you guys have a safe trip back to Philly.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought the refs were from the Big Sky Conference. I wonder how many of them were from the south and out to get Nova????

Doc

Doc, it's a conspiracy. Has to be.

lionsrking2
December 1st, 2019, 03:32 AM
I still don't see how anyone can claim the referees "stole the win" from Nova ignoring the fact that, had the stripes not thrown that flag, SLU would've had 90 seconds left and 3 TOs to answer. It sucks for all of us (except SLU fans probably) that we didn't get to see what would've happened but I'd say chances are pretty good that Nova loses anyway with how their defense was getting shredded in the 2nd half. Could've been just OT too I guess if Nova would've gone for 2 after that TD and got it to go up 7.

The only thing stopping us all day/night was ourselves. There was no doubt we would have zipped it down the field and scored with that much time on the clock and three timeouts. We've done it all year. Thankfully we didn't have to. Nova is a good team and I feel bad for them. But we've been on the short end of those kind of games, as recently as last week, and feels good to have one go our way.

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2019, 04:04 AM
in baseball The #1 signifies the fastball

in Hammond, #1 is also about fast...... Devonte Williams is a fun player to watch....

I like this game already

all true

Devonte Williams is something to see, even after the play keep an eye on this guy the entertainment never stops

lionsrking2
December 1st, 2019, 04:42 AM
all true

Devonte Williams is something to see, even after the play keep an eye on this guy the entertainment never stops

Devonte is a great player and an even better person. Just glad he's getting healthy late in the year. He was banged up in the middle of the season, missing one game and nowhere close to 100% in a couple of others. But we've got a lot of weapons besides him.

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2019, 04:51 AM
Devonte is a great player and an even better person. Just glad he's getting healthy late in the year. He was banged up in the middle of the season, missing one game and nowhere close to 100% in a couple of others. But we've got a lot of weapons besides him.

wishing you all the best the rest of the way and hopefully the Montana weather will cooperate some, a nice sunny crisp 35 degree day with no wind would be ideal....

lionsrking2
December 1st, 2019, 04:54 AM
wishing you all the best the rest of the way and hopefully the Montana weather will cooperate some, a nice sunny crisp 35 degree day with no wind would be ideal....

Appreciate it CH. As long as it's above 30, relatively light wind and not snowing/raining, we should be fine weather-wise. Obviously would rather the game in Hammond, but I think we match up well with Montana. Should be another good one.

93henfan
December 1st, 2019, 08:24 AM
Poor Villanova. Truly heartbreaking.

CHIP72
December 1st, 2019, 08:38 AM
Poor Villanova. Truly heartbreaking.

xliarxxliarx

I can almost see your crocodile tears on my computer screen. ;)

fencer24
December 1st, 2019, 09:55 AM
Well.......Nova has led at half in 11 of 13 games this season. Only JMU & Richmond games were they behind at intermission. What happens in their half time is the great mystery because they have blown several double digit leads including this 17 point lead.

Agree completely that the Big Sky refs are horrible. But you had it in the bag man! You were up by 17 and let them tie it up twice and missed the extra point that was the game difference. SLA won this one as much as you lost it. Would have loved to have you in Missoula, but now we can introduce SLA to some Montana hospitality.
Welcome Lions!!

Twyxx
December 1st, 2019, 10:00 AM
Nova lost the game in the 3rd quarter. The OPI call was weak, but that's not why they lost. The team needed to come out at halftime and shut them down, but did just the opposite. That has been the story all season. Jaquan Amos and Christian Benford missing in the 2nd half really hurt as well. (Already missing in this game were Elijah Trent & Awopetu.) Those are our four best DBs, and maybe could have slowed down that high-powered SELA offense. Next season should be exciting for Nova, as we have a LOT of great young talent and will be able to build on this. Congrats to SELA and good luck against the Griz.

putter
December 1st, 2019, 02:45 PM
Love the Villanova coach. Team gave up a huge lead and then gets an unsportsmanlike. Still looking for blood after the game. The announcer immediately called the OPI. Only after slowing it down on the replay did it show that it was a poor call at best. Guy barely shook SELA's coaches hand.. i get emotion but grow up.

lionsrking2
December 1st, 2019, 02:54 PM
Love the Villanova coach. Team gave up a huge lead and then gets an unsportsmanlike. Still looking for blood after the game. The announcer immediately called the OPI. Only after slowing it down on the replay did it show that it was a poor call at best. Guy barely shook SELA's coaches hand.. i get emotion but grow up.

It was a good call. Replay in slow motion doesnt do it justice but everybody standing right by where it happened said it was OPI. It was subtle but an advantage was gained. I dont blame them for bring pissed though, it's a tough call in that situation.

Gangtackle11
December 1st, 2019, 03:43 PM
It’s over. You guys won & are moving on. Congrats.

Here is the play for those who didn’t see it. Judge for yourselves:

https://twitter.com/barstoolnova/status/1201189706043670528?s=21

It’s officially hoops season here! xpeacex

lionsrking2
December 1st, 2019, 04:58 PM
It’s over. You guys won & are moving on. Congrats.

Here is the play for those who didn’t see it. Judge for yourselves:

https://twitter.com/barstoolnova/status/1201189706043670528?s=21

It’s officially hoops season here! xpeacex

Agree, the game is over and it is what it is but that replay isn't a good look. The camera pans too late to see the arm bar, and the only other TV replay vantage points I've seen are behind and in front of the play. The better angle is on the side. Again, tough call and understand the frustration but we would be bitching had there not been a call. Great game between two good football teams. Good luck to Nova hoops. We're in for a long year on the hardwood with a young team.

Professor Chaos
December 1st, 2019, 05:04 PM
Agree, the game is over and it is what it is but that replay isn't a good look. The camera pans too late to see the arm bar, and the only other TV replay vantage points I've seen are behind and in front of the play. The better angle is on the side. Again, tough call and understand the frustration but we would be bitching had there not been a call. Great game between two good football teams. Good luck to Nova hoops. We're in for a long year on the hardwood with a young team.
The fact that #7 for SLU doesn't even attempt to look for a flag is evidence of how rarely that call is made. Yeah, by the letter of the law that's OPI but in that situation they should've kept their flag in their pockets like most officials would've.

BEAR
December 1st, 2019, 05:44 PM
The fact that #7 for SLU doesn't even attempt to look for a flag is evidence of how rarely that call is made. Yeah, by the letter of the law that's OPI but in that situation they should've kept their flag in their pockets like most officials would've.

Had the SLU player look at the ref begging for it and the flag was thrown and it was pointed out how rare it is called then Nova fans would be screaming that the player influenced it. It was an opi that the defender made no influence to call and made by an official from another conference. But what an amazing catch! Too bad Nova cost themselves the game by missing the extra point earlier. One of the few things they did to screw up their game. xlolx

lionsrking2
December 1st, 2019, 05:59 PM

Likewise, the Villanova receiver didn't argue on the way back to the sidelines. Xavier Lewis didn't beg because the flag came out. Our radio sideline reporter was right there on top of it and immediately said offensive PI. He's a homer obviously but the reaction was organic in real time and saw what the official saw. So did Dustin Fox on ESPN. I hate for flags to be a factor in an outcome, but it is what it is. I still think we go down and score and win the game anyway.

Professor Chaos
December 1st, 2019, 07:22 PM
Had the SLU player look at the ref begging for it and the flag was thrown and it was pointed out how rare it is called then Nova fans would be screaming that the player influenced it. It was an opi that the defender made no influence to call and made by an official from another conference. But what an amazing catch! Too bad Nova cost themselves the game by missing the extra point earlier. One of the few things they did to screw up their game. xlolx
Nova fans would be complaining about the official that threw the flag not the player that begged for it. Players do that all the time.

Likewise, the Villanova receiver didn't argue on the way back to the sidelines. Xavier Lewis didn't beg because the flag came out. Our radio sideline reporter was right there on top of it and immediately said offensive PI. He's a homer obviously but the reaction was organic in real time and saw what the official saw. So did Dustin Fox on ESPN. I hate for flags to be a factor in an outcome, but it is what it is. I still think we go down and score and win the game anyway.
I'm just reading his body language with no inside info but the way #7 puts his hands and his head up as he's running through the endzone reads to me as "I can't believe I just gave him up that TD" so I don't buy from the ESPN video that he saw the flag until he turned around.

Gil Dobie
December 1st, 2019, 10:58 PM
........YER COACHES...NEVER WENT OFF..ON UH BAD CALL?......SEEMS AH'VE READ CONTRARY....THRU-OUT...YEARS UH BEIN' ON AGS.......STILL PLENTY UH BALL LEFT.....HOPE YOUSE AREN'T ON DUH SAME END...UH STICK....IN GAMES TA COME..........BRAWK!

I'm over 20,000 post and never blamed a ref. They be part of the game. Need to be good enough to win where ever you play, field conditions, weather, refs, etc.

Gangtackle11
December 2nd, 2019, 12:27 AM

Maybe, but a Nova TD there makes it 50-45. A successful 2 point conversion only gives u a tie if that was to happen. Just sayin’. GL in Missoula. Just cancelled my room there. xpeacex

Outsider1
December 2nd, 2019, 10:07 AM
How are we still having this conversation?

Grizzlies82
December 2nd, 2019, 10:11 AM
How are we still having this conversation?

Why is Wofford ranked ahead of ...

Gangtackle11
December 2nd, 2019, 10:21 AM
See UNH - Lafayette thread for why. 😂✌️

Gil Dobie
December 2nd, 2019, 10:23 AM
this here.... that play was to pretty for the ref to be involved

Refs are part of the game, like the weather, like the fans, like the field conditions, etc, etc. Getting old reading about refs 2 days after the game. We don't know if Nova would even had won if the call wasn't made. I was ready for OT watching the Chargers play the Broncos yesterday, with 14 seconds left.

Outsider1
December 2nd, 2019, 10:44 AM
Why is Wofford ranked ahead of ...

Touche' xdrunkyx

Outsider1
December 2nd, 2019, 10:46 AM
See UNH - Lafayette thread for why. ✌️

I get it, and have some empathy. I see refs as one factor. In this particular game the other factors were just higher weight percentages for the outcome.

Bisonator
December 2nd, 2019, 11:54 AM
So you don't want them calling a penalty when it is actually a penalty? How about if the SELA player had grabbed his arm and kept him from making the catch? Should the ref just let them play in that situation? Nova had chances before and after that play to win the game and they didn't.

caribbeanhen
December 2nd, 2019, 12:01 PM
Refs are part of the game, like the weather, like the fans, like the field conditions, etc, etc. Getting old reading about refs 2 days after the game. We don't know if Nova would even had won if the call wasn't made. I was ready for OT watching the Chargers play the Broncos yesterday, with 14 seconds left.

So why are you still reading it? I posted that right after the game ended, it's not like I'm beating a dead Wildcat

Professor Chaos
December 2nd, 2019, 12:43 PM
So you don't want them calling a penalty when it is actually a penalty? How about if the SELA player had grabbed his arm and kept him from making the catch? Should the ref just let them play in that situation? Nova had chances before and after that play to win the game and they didn't.
Not when it's that inconsequential to the outcome of the play. SLU's DB had no chance to make a play on that ball. If you want to enforce the rule to the letter they could call PI on almost every play. I've seen far worse instances of receivers pushing off and no flags.

AmsterBison
December 2nd, 2019, 12:48 PM
So why are you still reading it? I posted that right after the game ended, it's not like I'm beating a dead Wildcat

Hey, Bison fans that I know love to talk about blown calls that cost games (or resulted in a tie.) Three examples I can think of:

"Still not a fumble" from the 2010 EWU game.
Inadvertant whistle that took a pick 6 away from NDSU in the 1997 D2 playoffs.
Blew a call on an obvious safety against Augustana in 1989 (guy got tackled two yards in the end zone - they marked him down at the 3)

vutomcat
December 2nd, 2019, 01:22 PM
Held off posting until today. That game was like a punch to the gut. Blowing that kind of a lead after half time makes me question this coaching staff. The fact that it has happened so often this year is especially troubling. I know the defenders will say losing 2 DB starters and then losing your best two DB's during the game really opened things up for SELA in the second half. To SELA's credit, they took advantage of the mismatches and they are clearly a talented team and deserving to move on in the playoffs. Both teams were deserving.

As far as the call goes, I have seen that kind of hand checking called and not called plenty of times. To rely on the zebras to help you win a game is unrealistic. Excuses are for teams that lose, which is what the Cats did Saturday.

Jackson and Ferrrante have to take some of the blame for not pressing the administration to place a bid (or good enough bid) to secure a home game. No doubt the game would have been different at Villanova. We were playing one of the most penalized teams in FCS and had 11 penalties called to their 3.

Overall, it was a nice season with some chances missed ( see Stony Brook and SELA games) for a really good season.

The good news is that the Cats have just about everyone returning and the 2020 season should be a good one.

Remember, it could be worse. We could be Delaware fans!

(Just as an aside , I read one post on this thread that called Villanova a big school? We have less than 7k enrollment.)

GO CATS!

lionsrking2
December 2nd, 2019, 01:42 PM
Held off posting until today. That game was like a punch to the gut. Blowing that kind of a lead after half time and having it happen a few times this year makes me again question this coaching staff. In their defense, losing 2 DB starters and then losing your best two DB's during the game really opened things up for SELA in the second half. To their credit, they took advantage of the mismatches and they are clearly a talented team and deserving to move on in the playoffs. Both teams were deserving.

As far as the call goes, I have seen that kind of hand checking called and not called plenty of times. To rely on the zebras to win a game is bad coaching. Watch the NFL enough and you can see how much the refs are by far the most influential individuals on the field. And, you're going to get those kind of calls when you don't place a priority on the football program and reward a good season with a bid for a home game. Coach Ferrante might have some blame there as well. Would Talley have convinced AD Jackson to spend?

Overall, it was a nice season with some chances missed ( see Stony Brook and SELA games) for a really good season.

The good news is that the Cats have just about everyone returning and the 2020 season should be a good one.

Remember, it could be worse. We could be Delaware fans!

(Just as an aside , I read one post on this thread that called Villanova a big school? We have less than 7k enrollment.)

Everybody has injuries this time of year. We also had defensive starters out and/or playing injured and played several true freshmen on that side of the ball (CB and LB). We also had to play the first half without our best LB who was suspended for targeting the week before That aside, it was two good offenses going at it and a shame someone had to lose. I wish Villanova nothing but the best. Enjoyed talking with some of their folks prior to the game and have an overall appreciation for their tradition and how they run their program.

Gangtackle11
December 2nd, 2019, 01:53 PM
Good luck to SELA at Montana. You guys are going to give them a ball game. xpeacex

lionsrking2
December 2nd, 2019, 02:14 PM
Good luck to SELA at Montana. You guys are going to give them a ball game. xpeacex

Thanks Gang. I think we match up well. Let 'er rip and see what happens. Look forward to following Villanova in 2020. Lots of quality players coming back ... CAA is in trouble.

putter
December 2nd, 2019, 03:42 PM
I agree with vutomcat. People can be pissed about the call and it is a tossup but at the end of the day Villanova blew a big lead. From what I hear it was a problem all year so that coaching staff needs to take the blame and not put it on one call (although a big one) because it is always the sum of a game that determines the outcome.