PDA

View Full Version : #1 NDSU at #22 Southern Illinois

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2019, 05:33 PM
Interesting game shaping up in Carbondale this weekend with a number of storylines going into it. NDSU probably needs to win to maintain the #1 seed in the playoffs. They're also looking to match their own FCS record for consecutive wins at 33 (this streak was started in week 10 of 2017 - the previous streak went from week 8 of 2012 until week 11 of 2014). Southern Illinois is looking to cement themselves into the playoffs and have won 5 in a row themselves. However, each team has been feasting on the lesser half of the conference over the last few weeks as NDSU's last 3 have been @YSU, vs WIU, and vs USD whereas SIU's last 5 have been vs YSU, @USD, @ISUb, vs MSU, and @WIU. So this will be the biggest test for each team has had since mid to late October.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49092782322_26a52666d5_o.jpg

As the numbers show the Bison have been dominant this year especially offensively but if there has been a weakness it's been the run defense which is giving up 183.5 rush yards per game at 4.4 yards per carry over their last 4 games. For the last 3 games plenty of those rush yards have come in garbage time but SIU's strength is running the ball behind their RB tandem of DJ Davis (956 yards and 4 TDs at 5.4 ypc) and Javon Williams Jr (921 yards and 16 TDs on 6.6 ypc).

It'll be interesting to see how the Bison stack up against a power run team like SIU and a power back like Williams. The teams that have beaten the Bison in the last few years have done it with a solid ground game and opportunistic passing game. I do think this game is going to be closer than most people think because I think SIU matches up better offensively with NDSU than maybe anyone in the conference outside of SDSU. 5dimes has the line at NDSU -20 with an O/U of 53.5 so they're predicting a score along the lines of 37-17 in favor of NDSU. Massey predicts a 38-14 score in favor of NDSU and Sagarin favors NDSU by about 19.5.

I think SIU plays like a playoff caliber team with nothing to lose and everything to gain in their season finale and the margin is closer than all of them do but I still think my Bison manage to pull out the win.

Who do you have winning and why?

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 19th, 2019, 07:21 PM
NDSU covers the spread.

By the stats, SIU is improved defensively but I will be interested in how they do against a very good offense that can run and pass. Prove it against the Bison.

Offensively, will SIU just try and run the ball? NDSU is #1 in total defense and #2 in scoring defense (#1 in my book...Ivy League school is not a counter to me) and #1 in pass defense. Take away the passing game and make SIU beat them running, which I don't think they will be able to do.

IMO, this game comes down to if SIU can stop the Bison offense. The Bison defense will get stops. Can SIU's defense do the same? I don't think so. Too many weapons for the Bison.

Bison cover the spread: 38-9

Bisonator
November 19th, 2019, 07:54 PM
Kind of funny that SIU is 4th in opponents 3rd down %. Kind of weird outlier there. They appear to be much improved over the last few seasons. 20 is a lot of points on the road. I'll say the skinny dogs cover at home and the Bison finish an unbeaten regular season with a 31-13 win. Hopefully injury free for both teams.

skinny_uncle
November 19th, 2019, 09:25 PM
Those stats might be deceptive since SIU played 2 FBS teams.

Houndawg
November 20th, 2019, 03:37 AM
Interesting game shaping up in Carbondale this weekend with a number of storylines going into it. NDSU probably needs to win to maintain the #1 seed in the playoffs. They're also looking to match their own FCS record for consecutive wins at 33 (this streak was started in week 10 of 2017 - the previous streak went from week 8 of 2012 until week 11 of 2014). Southern Illinois is looking to cement themselves into the playoffs and have won 5 in a row themselves. However, each team has been feasting on the lesser half of the conference over the last few weeks as NDSU's last 3 have been @YSU, vs WIU, and vs USD whereas SIU's last 5 have been vs YSU, @USD, @ISUb, vs MSU, and @WIU. So this will be the biggest test for each team has had since mid to late October.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49092782322_26a52666d5_o.jpg

As the numbers show the Bison have been dominant this year especially offensively but if there has been a weakness it's been the run defense which is giving up 183.5 rush yards per game at 4.4 yards per carry over their last 4 games. For the last 3 games plenty of those rush yards have come in garbage time but SIU's strength is running the ball behind their RB tandem of DJ Davis (956 yards and 4 TDs at 5.4 ypc) and Javon Williams Jr (921 yards and 16 TDs on 6.6 ypc).

It'll be interesting to see how the Bison stack up against a power run team like SIU and a power back like Williams. The teams that have beaten the Bison in the last few years have done it with a solid ground game and opportunistic passing game. I do think this game is going to be closer than most people think because I think SIU matches up better offensively with NDSU than maybe anyone in the conference outside of SDSU. 5dimes has the line at NDSU -20 with an O/U of 53.5 so they're predicting a score along the lines of 37-17 in favor of NDSU. Massey predicts a 38-14 score in favor of NDSU and Sagarin favors NDSU by about 19.5.

I think SIU plays like a playoff caliber team with nothing to lose and everything to gain in their season finale and the margin is closer than all of them do but I still think my Bison manage to pull out the win.

Who do you have winning and why?

Williams won't be a threat unless our QB has a career game. SDSU and ISU were able to throttle him during Lyles first two starts after Labanowitz was injured. He has progressed steadily against the weaker half of the league and is good enough now that a rematch with the Jacks or Birds would be a toss up. Basically this is our third FBS game and unless NDSU takes a powder they should cover easily. We may go to the wildcat early if Lyles is out of his depth. If we can avoid a major blowout we should have a good case for one of the last AL bids. If we get one we could make some noise in the first round and probably the second round. Lets hope the Bison decide to rest a lot of starters.

centennial
November 20th, 2019, 05:16 AM
If SIU can keep this inside 15 maybe 20 point I think they make the playoffs. If they get blown out 55-7 or something they could sit on the bubble.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 20th, 2019, 06:05 AM

UMass and Ark State have a combined record of 7-14. Far cry from an Iowa and a K State.

JayJ79
November 20th, 2019, 07:06 AM
that's 2 more than NDSU has played in the past 3 seasons combined!

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 20th, 2019, 07:13 AM

Pretty easy for SIU to schedule games. They are a cupcake for FBS teams to play. NDSU gets "No" most calls made by the AD.

xcoffeex

Drblankstare
November 20th, 2019, 07:43 AM

hmm I wonder why NDSU hasnt been playing any FBS games...

Bisonator
November 20th, 2019, 08:20 AM
That would be wrong but thanks for playing.

skinny_uncle
November 20th, 2019, 08:23 AM
UMass and Ark State have a combined record of 7-14. Far cry from an Iowa and a K State.

I'm just saying it is easier to run up stats against a Butler than an Arkansas State (6-4).

skinny_uncle
November 20th, 2019, 08:31 AM
Kind of funny that SIU is 4th in opponents 3rd down %. Kind of weird outlier there. They appear to be much improved over the last few seasons. 20 is a lot of points on the road. I'll say the skinny dogs cover at home and the Bison finish an unbeaten regular season with a 31-13 win. Hopefully injury free for both teams.

The Salukis are also second in the league in sacks. Those often lead to a third and long which is harder to convert.

Professor Chaos
November 20th, 2019, 08:32 AM
I'm just saying it is easier to run up stats against a Butler than an Arkansas State (6-4).
Schedule strength has been pretty comparable between the two despite SIU's two FBS games to NDSU's 0. Massey has SIU's SOS at 28th (in the FCS) and NDSU's at 22nd. Sagarin has SIU's SOS at 156th (in all of D1) and NDSU's at 162nd.

Part of that is due to the fact that SIU missed UNI this year on the conference schedule whereas NDSU missed Indiana St.

JayJ79
November 20th, 2019, 08:32 AM
slight exaggeration in that I was referring to this season as one of those 3 (2017, 2018, 2019)

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 20th, 2019, 08:55 AM

Run up stats for the Bison? Haha

We'll see come Saturday which team is better.

Sycamore62
November 20th, 2019, 08:59 AM

their last FBS game was 3 years and 64 days ago but thank you for playing

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 20th, 2019, 09:20 AM
their last FBS game was 3 years and 64 days ago but thank you for playing

And your point is what?

Most calls our AD makes to try and get a game, he is told no.

da_Bison
November 20th, 2019, 09:37 AM

yea you’re right the Bison stats ARE skewed, wonder what they’d look like if the starters played more than 2 or 3 quarters? hmmm 🤔

IBleedYellow
November 20th, 2019, 10:30 AM
Curious to see if the SIU players are going to be cocky and taunting like they were against SDSU....

semobison
November 20th, 2019, 10:39 AM
If SIU can keep this inside 15 maybe 20 point I think they make the playoffs. If they get blown out 55-7 or something they could sit on the bubble.

This is the big question for the Saluki's. Do they need to cover the spread to make the playoffs?

CappinHard
November 20th, 2019, 12:01 PM
This is the big question for the Saluki's. Do they need to cover the spread to make the playoffs?

Imo, no. Tbh, playing NDSU is the equivalent of playing an FBS school at this point. A win is huge, a loss, no matter how big the loss, is insignificant. They have 6 FCS and 1 FBS win, all of their losses are quality. I have a hard time seeing them get left out.

TheKingpin28
November 20th, 2019, 12:07 PM
Imo, no. Tbh, playing NDSU is the equivalent of playing an FBS school at this point. A win is huge, a loss, no matter how big the loss, is insignificant. They have 6 FCS and 1 FBS win, all of their losses are quality. I have a hard time seeing them get left out.If they get the doors blown off them, I'd be nervous. It would leave a sour note going into Selection Sunday for the committee.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 20th, 2019, 12:16 PM
If they get the doors blown off them, I'd be nervous. It would leave a sour note going into Selection Sunday for the committee.

This here.

I think SIU is in the bracket already but getting their doors blown off will not be good.

Sycamore62
November 20th, 2019, 12:33 PM
And your point is what?

Most calls our AD makes to try and get a game, he is told no.

Point was you were trying to be cute and you were wrong.

And dont blame us that your AD sucks at scheduling.

Professor Chaos
November 20th, 2019, 12:40 PM

I'd say he's doing pretty well. 7 home games last year, 6 homes games and a "neutral site" game that was basically a home game this year. Pretty good consolation for having no FBS games.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 20th, 2019, 12:43 PM

Blame who? Being cute?

xlolx....something I never have accused of doing.....xlolx...good try bud!

I'm telling what the AD has told me in person. FBS teams say no to NDSU. Most common reason is they want to schedule regional FCS teams but some have said they can schedule easier FCS teams. Believe what you want to.

And actually our AD and JJ have done a very good job of scheduling for football. Try to pay attention.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 20th, 2019, 12:46 PM
I'd say he's doing pretty well. 7 home games last year, 6 homes games and a "neutral site" game that was basically a home game this year.

Heck, in a 12 game season I would love to have 8 home games. I told Larsen this and he gave me a good smile...:D

Lorne_Malvo
November 20th, 2019, 01:10 PM

I will defer on debating this since when it comes to sucking you are the experts.

Sycamore62
November 20th, 2019, 02:38 PM
I will defer on debating this since when it comes to sucking you are the experts.

yes and also being cute

Lorne_Malvo
November 20th, 2019, 06:18 PM
yes and also being cute

Debatable.

mvfcfan
November 20th, 2019, 07:27 PM
Yes NDSU does an excellent job of padding down their schedule almost every year. Wasn't it last season that NDSU only played 4 road games and they were all conference games?

Lorne_Malvo
November 20th, 2019, 07:57 PM
Yes NDSU does an excellent job of padding down their schedule almost every year. Wasn't it last season that NDSU only played 4 road games and they were all conference games?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z8SpgmF0sA

Bisonoline
November 20th, 2019, 08:51 PM

So???? The schedule changes every year. But if this is the case It looks like our AD is very good at scheduling contrary to what the other ISU loser thinks. :D

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 20th, 2019, 09:16 PM

It is called having the resources to not having to play FBS games for $$$.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 21st, 2019, 10:50 AM
The same whinefest will happen next year, the year after that and so on.....same whiners more than likely with maybe some new blood also.

Christiank22
November 21st, 2019, 11:35 AM

Imagine being so jealous you think a decade of dominance is because of home games....

Bisonator
November 21st, 2019, 11:43 AM
FUGameloser is that you?xlolx

Bisonoline
November 21st, 2019, 11:47 AM

Ahhhh whats your point? We played 4 conference home games.

POD Knows
November 21st, 2019, 11:53 AM
Yes NDSU does an excellent job of padding down their schedule almost every year. Wasn't it last season that NDSU only played 4 road games and they were all conference games?Do you have any idea what NDSU's road record is, if not, STFU. You are making a fool of yourself.

Sycamore62
November 21st, 2019, 12:39 PM
It is called having the resources to not having to play FBS games for $$$.

well is it the resources or nobody will play you?

Tazman2664
November 21st, 2019, 01:14 PM

Well every year the conference games have to be split, 4 home and 4 away. As for the non-conference schedule goes teams schedule the way they want to schedule. Thus, if they don't want to come to NDSU they don't have to schedule the game or do a home / away series like Delaware did (here last year and there this year). Many non-conference teams want to come to NDSU because if they lose they lose it is on the road and not at home. And if they win they got to beat NDSU at NDSU. So for someone to schedule NDSU in a non-conference game their choice would be to come to NDSU. This year NDSU will play 5 away games, LSU will have played 5 away games, Clemson will play 5 away games, Ohio State will play 5 away games and Georgia will play 4 away games. Thus, I am not sure what your point is about scheduling 4 away games, it is done a lot by the heavy weight programs, which in the FCS NDSU is. Those that are not the heavy weights need to take the games where they can. I am guessing SIU is one of those teams. Sorry but whining is unbecoming for anyone, even the light weights.

And to note, the Butler game was considered a home game for NDSU but it was actually on a neutral site, so they will actually play 6 away games. Plus, NDSU had to play the 3 of the top 4 teams in the MVC on the road (SDSU, Ill St and SIU with UNI at home). Butler and Delaware were road games. SIU lost to SDSU on the road but lost to Ill St at home and you won't even play UNI. You got NDSU this weekend so you will play 3 of the top 4 but not all 4. Sad to say, after this weekend SIU will be sitting at home during the playoffs.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 22nd, 2019, 03:42 PM
well is it the resources or nobody will play you?

Again, reading comprehension is not your strong point. I already went over this.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 22nd, 2019, 03:50 PM
Just rolled into Carbondale. Took a quick drive by the stadium to see where it was at and it looks nice.

Listened to the local Bison radio show during my drive this morning and they had the SIU play/play guy on and he thought 5K would be a good crowd tomorrow. Thanksgiving break and HS playoffs will/might hurt attendance. He also said, and I agree, that the Salukis are not scoring over 30 points and need to hold the Bison in the 20s. All I'll say to that is good luck at holding this Bison offense in the 20s and only 2 teams have scored in the 20s....with garbage time scores accounting for that.

Looking forward to the game tomorrow.

skinny_uncle
November 22nd, 2019, 06:22 PM
Just rolled into Carbondale. Took a quick drive by the stadium to see where it was at and it looks nice.

Listened to the local Bison radio show during my drive this morning and they had the SIU play/play guy on and he thought 5K would be a good crowd tomorrow. Thanksgiving break and HS playoffs will/might hurt attendance. He also said, and I agree, that the Salukis are not scoring over 30 points and need to hold the Bison in the 20s. All I'll say to that is good luck at holding this Bison offense in the 20s and only 2 teams have scored in the 20s....with garbage time scores accounting for that.

Would that have been Mike Reis? He has been at it a long time and is pretty knowledgeable.

Herder
November 23rd, 2019, 06:33 AM
In the MVFC, SIU’s two FBS opponents would ranked . . .

Arkansas State 3rd Sagarin 92
UMass Dead Last Sagarin 225

dewey
November 23rd, 2019, 07:11 AM
Happy game day!

With a win today NDSU would tie their own FCS record for most consecutive wins at 33.

My prediction
NDSU 38
SIU 17

Go Bison!

Deweyhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191123/9545a37ef90e7e528ff56bd56ace9453.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

dewey
November 23rd, 2019, 07:17 AM
A win today would tie NDSU (2012-2014) for the 7th longest win streak in (FBS and FCS).

6th place is Miami from 2000 to 2002 at 34 games.

Deweyhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191123/f709078200eb521911bf089ee54426be.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 23rd, 2019, 08:04 AM
Crappy weather right now. Hope it keeps passing thru.

Houndawg
November 23rd, 2019, 08:08 AM

They will, but the big one is deer hunting - first weekend of shotgun season. 3k will be over-achieving.

TennBison
November 23rd, 2019, 08:38 AM
Mostly because NDSU is not forced to go out and beg for money by being another teams perceived whipping dog. Lets face it, 90% of the FCS teams out there are playing FBS schools just for the money to fund their programs. And when they lose to said FBS school they expect the loss to not count against them, but are more than happy to take any win and want it to count as if it were more than any other game.

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2019, 08:42 AM
42-17 NDSU

TennBison
November 23rd, 2019, 08:44 AM
Yeah, and it is easier to run up stats against Ind St than it is against UNI. Also much easier to run up stats when your starters are playing a full game (SIU) vs having backups in midway thru the third and 3-4 stringers in at the start of the 4th (NDSU).

TennBison
November 23rd, 2019, 08:51 AM
Imo, no. Tbh, playing NDSU is the equivalent of playing an FBS school at this point. A win is huge, a loss, no matter how big the loss, is insignificant. They have 6 FCS and 1 FBS win, all of their losses are quality. I have a hard time seeing them get left out.
So people consider their losses to be "quality". Which is another way of saying they can't beat a playoff bound team, and would therefore have no business being in the playoffs.

TennBison
November 23rd, 2019, 08:56 AM

Our AD is great at scheduling, but unfortunately, our football players are better at winning and most schools in the FBS are wising up and not wanting to play NDSU. You could only pray to god that your school might have that problem some day.

And don't blame us that your football team sucks at..............Football.

TennBison
November 23rd, 2019, 09:02 AM
Blame who? Being cute?

xlolx....something I never have accused of doing.....xlolx...good try bud!

I'm telling what the AD has told me in person. FBS teams say no to NDSU. Most common reason is they want to schedule regional FCS teams but some have said they can schedule easier FCS teams. Believe what you want to.

And actually our AD and JJ have done a very good job of scheduling for football. Try to pay attention.
Was this the time you had him tied to a chair in your van with a pillow case over his head??? And you were dressed in all black and wearing a ski mask.

TennBison
November 23rd, 2019, 09:11 AM

That is classic. High School games might effect our crowd. Just setting up excuses for poor attendance. How about this instead "#1 team in the country is here and we have a chance to make the playoffs with a win" and attendance goes to 9-10 thousand, fans of SIU show they give a darn.

BisonBacker
November 23rd, 2019, 10:19 AM

Really? This is comical coming from a sycamore fan

mvfcfan
November 23rd, 2019, 10:34 AM
Don't NDSU fans have their own board where they can trash the rest of the FCS? Most of us post on here because we are fans of our schools and FCS football in general. Besides doesn't it make your titles less relevant when you trash the rest of the FCS? Most of us are just tired of the constant chest beating week after week and we are also fully aware that most of the Bison posters wouldn't even be on here if they weren't winning every week.

By the way I have liked every Bison fan I have met in person. But sometimes the message board chest beating gives off a bad vibe. It's not cool and makes your program and fans look bad when in reality they really aren't.

BisonBacker
November 23rd, 2019, 10:37 AM
Don't NDSU fans have their own board where they can trash the rest of the FCS? Most of us post on here because we are fans of our schools and FCS football in general. Besides doesn't it make your titles less relevant when you trash the rest of the FCS? Most of us are just tired of the constant chest beating week after week and we are also fully aware that most of the Bison posters wouldn't even be on here if they weren't winning every week.

Just like you defend your team when some schmuck makes a stupid comment they get called out for it. Don't like it talk to the dimwit who came up with the doozy that started the "chest beating" as you call it.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 23rd, 2019, 10:43 AM

By the way I have liked every Bison fan I have met in person. But sometimes the message board chest beating gives off a bad vibe. It's not cool and makes your program and fans look bad when in reality they really aren't.

Snowflake!!!

Houndawg
November 23rd, 2019, 11:06 AM
That is classic. High School games might effect our crowd. Just setting up excuses for poor attendance. How about this instead "#1 team in the country is here and we have a chance to make the playoffs with a win" and attendance goes to 9-10 thousand, fans of SIU show they give a darn.

Big Duck in Small Pond can't compete with opening day of deer season. Sorry bro. Hell it would be the same if LSU was coming to town.

Lorne_Malvo
November 23rd, 2019, 11:11 AM

I will let you in on a little secret: Nobody cares about your feelings.
If you need a safe space, try here: https://www.sycamorepride.com/forumdisplay.php?26-Sycamore-Football

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 23rd, 2019, 11:35 AM
Wow, just walked thru the basketball arena....very impressive. Football recruits are getting a tour. This BB arena blows NDSU's out of the water. Sat down and there is actual leg room unlike NDSUs SHAC. To bad NDDU didn't demolish that old piece of crap and start over, should have modeled it after Bantera here.

Sparse tailgate crowd. Couple of Saluki fans asked if NDSU was good this year....lol. I said they're average.

mvfcfan
November 23rd, 2019, 12:28 PM
I will let you in on a little secret: Nobody cares about your feelings.
If you need a safe space, try here: https://www.sycamorepride.com/forumdisplay.php?26-Sycamore-Football

Just proving my point. Easy to talk tough behind a keyboard.

Bisonoline
November 23rd, 2019, 12:35 PM

xlolxxslapfightxxslapfightxxhurrayxxasswhipxxasswh ipxx406x

Lorne_Malvo
November 23rd, 2019, 12:37 PM

Or in your case, easy to cry behind a keyboard.

mvfcfan
November 23rd, 2019, 12:49 PM
Just telling the truth. I gave the honest reason a lot of people get a bad vibe about an actual good fan base and the keyboard bullies proceed to make their school look bad.

Lorne_Malvo
November 23rd, 2019, 12:52 PM
Just telling the truth. I gave the honest reason a lot of people get a bad vibe about an actual good fan base and the keyboard bullies proceed to make their school look bad.

Oh no!!!!!!!!!! Keyboard bullies!!!!!!! Where is my safe space?

skinny_uncle
November 23rd, 2019, 01:19 PM

Do you remember the Shocker fans on the old Valleytalk board?

Bison56
November 23rd, 2019, 02:03 PM
Going to be a battle right to the end.

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2019, 02:03 PM
Snorty Part 2!!!

Bison56
November 23rd, 2019, 02:04 PM

What about behind a phone? That's where I feel invincible.

skinny_uncle
November 23rd, 2019, 02:06 PM
Salukis won the coin toss. Good omen?

POD Knows
November 23rd, 2019, 02:07 PM
SIU 31. NDSU 24. #BOOKIT. Today is upset Saturday. Take a look at
some of the games already. #BOOKIT.

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2019, 02:08 PM
Why is Jabril playing today? Rest him up.

mvfcfan
November 23rd, 2019, 02:10 PM
Do you remember the Shocker fans on the old Valleytalk board?

Yeah they were pretty bad too. Unfortunately success always brings out the bad fans that want to act like their **** doesn't stink. I am sure that if ISU won a couple of titles in a row there would be some people in Terre Haute try to act tough because of a result they have no control over. The sad part is it makes an entire fan base look bad. I met plenty of good Wichita fans, but some people like to act tough behind a keyboard.

FYI I don't need a safe space. If you want to make yourself and fan base look like jack***es than go ahead. Just don't be upset that everyone in the FCS wants to see NDSU lose in the playoffs. I stopped cheering for Wichita their last few years in the MVC for the same reason.

5 years ago I used to wonder why fans would root against conference teams in the tournament. Now I understand. People just get tired of the cockiness and chest beating.

POD Knows
November 23rd, 2019, 02:12 PM
Great ball by Lance. Mathis needs to catch that thing

Bison56
November 23rd, 2019, 02:14 PM
Nice run, TD Bison!

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2019, 02:14 PM
Kobe Johnson with the power A run for a TD

Bison56
November 23rd, 2019, 02:15 PM
Yeah they were pretty bad too. Unfortunately success always brings out the bad fans that want to act like their **** doesn't stink. I am sure that if ISU won a couple of titles in a row there would be some people in Terre Haute try to act tough because of a result they have no control over. The sad part is it makes an entire fan base look bad. I met plenty of good Wichita fans, but some people like to act tough behind a keyboard.

FYI I don't need a safe space. If you want to make yourself and fan base look like jack***es than go ahead. Just don't be upset that everyone in the FCS wants to see NDSU lose in the playoffs. I stopped cheering for Wichita their last few years in the MVC for the same reason.

5 years ago I used to wonder why fans would root against conference teams in the tournament. Now I understand. People just get tired of the cockiness and chest beating.
I remember when I was 12 and cheered for teams to lose because of their fans.

Lorne_Malvo
November 23rd, 2019, 02:16 PM
Kobe has been on fire.

dewey
November 23rd, 2019, 02:19 PM
Nice run by Kobe Johnson.

Great opening drive for NDSU.

Dewey

dewey
November 23rd, 2019, 02:22 PM
The NDSU defense forces a 3 and out for SIU. Bison ball at their own ~45.

Dewey

Bisonoline
November 23rd, 2019, 02:22 PM
Why is Jabril playing today? Rest him up.

Because he wants to play? They will have next week off as it is. For every 1 day an athlete takes off it takes 2-3 days to get back to where you were. Mentally and physically.

Bisonator
November 23rd, 2019, 02:24 PM
Pretty impressed with SIU's defense so far.

POD Knows
November 23rd, 2019, 02:25 PM
Nice camera work on that series. The miss the first play and then miss the long ball. Jeez.

Bison56
November 23rd, 2019, 02:27 PM
Nice camera work on that series. The miss the first play and then miss the long ball. Jeez.

Same thing different week, and Timmerman is an idiot.

skinny_uncle
November 23rd, 2019, 02:27 PM
Getting into the wildcat early.

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2019, 02:28 PM
Because he wants to play? They will have next week off as it is. For every 1 day an athlete takes off it takes 2-3 days to get back to where you were. Mentally and physically.

I get that, but when he is our best player (outside of maybe Tuszka), I get nervous considering what injury he has been dealing with.

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2019, 02:29 PM
Javon is a tank in the backfield.

POD Knows
November 23rd, 2019, 02:30 PM
This looks like a pretty good football team to me.

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2019, 02:31 PM
Enough of these ****ing commercials during the damn game!

skinny_uncle
November 23rd, 2019, 02:32 PM
Lyles turns the ball ober too much to suit me.

dewey

Agreed! Someone should tweet at KVLY or send them a message to stop that dumb****.

Dewey

Bison56

No kidding

TheKingpin28
James Hendricks doing James Hendricks things! INT.

They should just give the ball to Javon and do quick routes.

dewey
November 23rd, 2019, 02:33 PM
Big interception by James Hendrick! NDSU ball at their own 2.

Dewey

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2019, 02:33 PM
Agreed! Someone should tweet at KVLY or send them a message to stop that dumb****.

Dewey

No kidding

I already hate commercials to begin with, but I can deal with them during media timeouts, but during the game, come on. Get that **** out of here.

Bison56
November 23rd, 2019, 02:35 PM

Dewey

Done

POD Knows
November 23rd, 2019, 02:35 PM
SIU owning the line of scrimmage at this point in time

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2019, 02:44 PM
Javon reminds me a lot of David Johnson, except it looks like Nick Hill is using him properly.

skinny_uncle
November 23rd, 2019, 02:49 PM
Williams gets the first Saluki TD.
SIU 7 NDSU 7

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2019, 02:50 PM
7-7

Javon Williams is a one man wrecking ball.

9:35 left in the 2nd Q.

Bisonator
Wtf was that defense? Ugly.xeyebrowx

POD Knows
How in the hell did this Williams guy end up at Carbondale. He is a man against boys in this game.

Herdistheword
November 23rd, 2019, 02:51 PM
Their oline is creating a lot of holes. SIU came to play, and this feels like Missouri State all over again. I hope our boys get some fire.

skinny_uncle
November 23rd, 2019, 02:55 PM
How in the hell did this Williams guy end up at Carbondale. He is a man against boys in this game.

Williams is a local boy from Centralia, Illinois.

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2019, 02:59 PM
So we punt it for 16yds?

Bison56
November 23rd, 2019, 03:01 PM
Another missed play

BisonFan02
November 23rd, 2019, 03:03 PM
Bison better wake up.

skinny_uncle
November 23rd, 2019, 03:09 PM
Nice coverage on that punt

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2019, 03:16 PM
Trey Lance is really good.

skinny_uncle
November 23rd, 2019, 03:17 PM
Trey Lance is really good.

Lance and Williams are probably the two best freshmen in the FCS.

BisonFan02
November 23rd, 2019, 03:20 PM
SIU on the field and sideline looks like a team that is playing for their playoff lives. NDSU looks like they are ready for Thanksgiving turkey.

POD Knows
November 23rd, 2019, 03:21 PM
Williams is a local boy from Centralia, Illinois.
Yea I know Was he looked at by anyone else. He is a pretty good talent

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2019, 03:22 PM
Lance and Williams are probably the two best freshmen in the FCS.

I'd love to see a backfield of Bussey/Johnson/Williams with Lance under the Center.

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2019, 03:22 PM
Out of bounds by inches.

BEAR
November 23rd, 2019, 03:23 PM
Out of bounds by inches.

Yep. Nice catch though.

Bisonator
November 23rd, 2019, 03:25 PM
NDSU's oline is playing like crap today. Zack Johnson better get his **** together at halftime.

Herdistheword
November 23rd, 2019, 03:25 PM
Lance has had two TD-worthy throws. One was completely whiffed on by Kepouros. The other one was a great catch, but foot missed being in bounds by a couple inches. Hopefully, those connect in the 2nd half.

SIU has been very physical and this is a good test for Trey Lance.

SUPharmacist
November 23rd, 2019, 03:28 PM
Not good for NDSU, but tied after sleepwalking through a half isn't so bad. I can't wait for the second half, I am sure SIU believes they can win now, but it is a good wakeup call for NDSU and hopefully they come out with some fire in the second half. Regardless of how the rest of the game goes, hopefully this will refocus NDSU for the playoffs.

Chalupa Batman
November 23rd, 2019, 03:34 PM
Win or lose SIU looks like a playoff team to me

skinny_uncle
November 23rd, 2019, 03:37 PM
Would a win get the Salukis a seed?

SUPharmacist
November 23rd, 2019, 03:42 PM
Would a win get the Salukis a seed?

I wouldn't think so, but who knows this year.

Chalupa Batman
November 23rd, 2019, 03:45 PM
I wouldn't think so, but who knows this year.

I lol'd at first but then went and looked at the schedule. Still unlikely but not as ridiculous as I first thought. They'd probably be in the 10-12 range if the whole field was seeded.

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2019, 03:51 PM
SIU attempts the FG and it goes wide left.

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2019, 03:54 PM
Kobe Johnson will not go down.

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2019, 03:57 PM
Someone yank Zach Johnson out of the game. He continually shoots this offense in the foot.

Bisonator
November 23rd, 2019, 03:59 PM
Someone yank Zach Johnson out of the game. He continually shoots this offense in the foot.
That was a ****ty call because he didn't hit anybody but yeah he's not had a good game.

Bisonator
November 23rd, 2019, 04:00 PM
That was a Bison drive and much needed!

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2019, 04:01 PM
That was a ****ty call because he didn't hit anybody but yeah he's not had a good game.

He still knows it's illegal to do and he has had multiple Personal Fouls going into this game. I'm glad we got the TD but one of these times, it's going to really bite us in the ass.

Herdistheword
November 23rd, 2019, 04:01 PM
This game is physical!

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2019, 04:19 PM
I could see Nick Hill winning MVFC coach of the year the way he has turned this team around.

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2019, 04:22 PM
Trey Lance for the 35 yard TD run!

Herdistheword
November 23rd, 2019, 04:24 PM
I could see Nick Hill winning MVFC coach of the year the way he has turned this team around.

He is the only guy outside of Entz that would deserve it.

Bisonator
Bison finally pulling away. SIU is a playoff team IMO.

Professor Chaos
#24 for SIU has an attitude. Popped Zach Johnson at the goal line well after Lance had crossed it. There's been a lot of **** talking going both ways in this one.

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2019, 04:25 PM
He is the only guy outside of Entz that would deserve it.

I personally think Entz deserves it, but I wouldn't fault voters for voting for Hill.

POD Knows
November 23rd, 2019, 04:30 PM
That was a huge play by the bison punt return guy. That might have ended up being a 90’yard punt if he doesn’t catch it

Herdistheword
November 23rd, 2019, 04:32 PM
I think SIU should be one of the last teams in. They can play physical and would probably create a good round 1 game with any other team in the field.

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2019, 04:36 PM
And a blunder on STs.

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2019, 04:39 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to having the Valley making this a "protected" game. This has been a bruising game for both sides.

POD Knows
November 23rd, 2019, 04:39 PM
****ing field goal bull****. **** **** ****

Bisonator
November 23rd, 2019, 04:41 PM
Wow SIU wasted a lot of time here. Talk about piss poor clock management.

Bisonator
November 23rd, 2019, 04:43 PM
Wow what a goal line stand by the Bison!

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2019, 04:43 PM
NDSU stops Javon Williams at the 1 foot line!

Turnover on downs!

skinny_uncle
November 23rd, 2019, 04:44 PM
So close.

POD Knows
November 23rd, 2019, 04:45 PM
Christ. Nice stand by the bison Absolutely terrible clock management by SIU. SIU would beat ISUr by 20 right now and they might not make the playoffs

Schism55
November 23rd, 2019, 04:45 PM
Bison D Stand Up!!!

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2019, 04:50 PM
Trey Lance went the entire season without an INT!

skinny_uncle
November 23rd, 2019, 04:51 PM
Trey Lance went the entire season without an INT!

Impressive.

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2019, 04:52 PM
Impressive.

He still has 3 more seasons to play. This kid is something else.

I want to see Javon Williams in the playoffs. That kid will crack skulls for the next 3 years.

POD Knows
November 23rd, 2019, 04:53 PM
Wow. I am glad that is over. Great game by SIU. Most physical team we have played this year which really isn’t what SIU is known for.

Bisonator
November 23rd, 2019, 04:53 PM
Great game Saluki's! You guys deserve a playoff spot. Heck of a turn around by your staff and a very good season regardless!xthumbsupx

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 23rd, 2019, 04:56 PM
Congrats for the moral victory SIU. At this point that's the best fellow MVFC foes can hope for against the Bison.

skinny_uncle
November 23rd, 2019, 05:11 PM
Looks like the Salukis end up in a three-way tie for third with SDSU and Ill State losing. UNI has second to themselves

skinny_uncle
November 23rd, 2019, 05:12 PM
Congrats for the moral victory SIU. At this point that's the best fellow MVFC foes can hope for against the Bison.

At least we covered the spread.

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2019, 05:15 PM
Looks like the Salukis end up in a three-way tie for third with SDSU and Ill State losing. UNI has second to themselves

Even though you lost to SDSU, with them losing to USD, that might be enough to get you in.

Prime Power
November 23rd, 2019, 05:30 PM
Congrats for the moral victory SIU. At this point that's the best fellow FCS foes can hope for against the Bison.

FYP

xthumbsupx

Houndawg
November 23rd, 2019, 06:47 PM
Even though you lost to SDSU, with them losing to USD, that might be enough to get you in.

Same with ISU after YSU beat them

Tazman2664
November 23rd, 2019, 07:07 PM

I do not think they take a 7-5 team for the playoffs. Big Sky has 3 teams for sure with 3 losses and 4 if Sacramento State wins, all 4 teams are ranked. The Big South has Monmouth and Kennesaw State, both ranked. The CAA has JMU with 1 loss and Villanova with 3 losses, both of them are ranked. UND has 4 losses and would be the only independent to have a chance. Ivy league has no playoffs for them. MV has NDSU with no losses, and UNI, SDSU and ISU with 4 losses, all ranked. Northeast has Central Conn with 1 loss and that is it. Ohio Valley has Austin Peay and SE MS with 3 losses, both ranked. Patriot is horrible, all with 5 or more losses, no body ranked and Holy Cross the only one with a winning record. Pioneer has SD with 2 losses and Dayton with 3 and none ranked. Southern has Wofford with 3 losses and Furman with 4, both ranked. Southland has Central Arkansas with 3 losses and SE Louisiana and Nicolls with 4 losses and all 3 ranked. In the SW only has Alcorn with 3 losses and no one is ranked.

With 24 teams getting invited to the dance someone ranked in the top 25 doesn’t get invited. So basically, I would take 4 from the Big Sky (Sac State, Weber St, Mont St and Montana); 2 from Big South (Monmouth and Kennesaw State); 2 from CAA (JMU and Villanova); 0 from Ivy (no playoffs for them); 2 from Mid-Eastern (Florida A&M and NC A&T in with SC State out); 4 from MV (NDSU, UNI, SDSU and ISU); 1 from NE (Central Conn); 2 from Ohio Valley (Austin Peay, SE MS); 1 from the Patriot (have to take the league champ, Holy Cross); 1 from Pioneer (have to take the league champ, SD in with Dayton out); 2 from Southern (Wofford and Furman); 2 from Southland (Central Arkansas in with SE Louisiana or Nicholls and the other out, because of the conference champs); 1 from SW (have to take the league champ, Alcorn).

They take 10 conference champs automatically (no Ivy league or Mid-Eastern champs). The Mid-Eastern has 2 teams people think highly about so they will probably get those invites. But this is just a look now, not all the records are updated so things might change.

POD Knows
November 23rd, 2019, 08:12 PM
I do not think they take a 7-5 team for the playoffs. Big Sky has 3 teams for sure with 3 losses and 4 if Sacramento State wins, all 4 teams are ranked. The Big South has Monmouth and Kennesaw State, both ranked. The CAA has JMU with 1 loss and Villanova with 3 losses, both of them are ranked. UND has 4 losses and would be the only independent to have a chance. Ivy league has no playoffs for them. MV has NDSU with no losses, and UNI, SDSU and ISU with 4 losses, all ranked. Northeast has Central Conn with 1 loss and that is it. Ohio Valley has Austin Peay and SE MS with 3 losses, both ranked. Patriot is horrible, all with 5 or more losses, no body ranked and Holy Cross the only one with a winning record. Pioneer has SD with 2 losses and Dayton with 3 and none ranked. Southern has Wofford with 3 losses and Furman with 4, both ranked. Southland has Central Arkansas with 3 losses and SE Louisiana and Nicolls with 4 losses and all 3 ranked. In the SW only has Alcorn with 3 losses and no one is ranked.

With 24 teams getting invited to the dance someone ranked in the top 25 doesn’t get invited. So basically, I would take 4 from the Big Sky (Sac State, Weber St, Mont St and Montana); 2 from Big South (Monmouth and Kennesaw State); 2 from CAA (JMU and Villanova); 0 from Ivy (no playoffs for them); 2 from Mid-Eastern (Florida A&M and NC A&T in with SC State out); 4 from MV (NDSU, UNI, SDSU and ISU); 1 from NE (Central Conn); 2 from Ohio Valley (Austin Peay, SE MS); 1 from the Patriot (have to take the league champ, Holy Cross); 1 from Pioneer (have to take the league champ, SD in with Dayton out); 2 from Southern (Wofford and Furman); 2 from Southland (Central Arkansas in with SE Louisiana or Nicholls and the other out, because of the conference champs); 1 from SW (have to take the league champ, Alcorn).

They take 10 conference champs automatically (no Ivy league or Mid-Eastern champs). The Mid-Eastern has 2 teams people think highly about so they will probably get those invites. But this is just a look now, not all the records are updated so things might change.North Dakota will get in before Furman or KSU

Derby City Duke
November 23rd, 2019, 09:00 PM

They take 10 conference champs automatically (no Ivy league or Mid-Eastern champs). The Mid-Eastern has 2 teams people think highly about so they will probably get those invites. But this is just a look now, not all the records are updated so things might change.

Alcorn is out due to conference obligations.

FAMU is on a self-imposed post-season ban
NC A&T goes to the Celebration Bowl

That eliminates 3 of your 24. How do you propose to replace them?

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 23rd, 2019, 09:08 PM
SIU has a nice stadium.

SIU's offense is QB run right....QB run left....QB run up the middle then the occasional pass to the flat or a 50/50 ball.

NDSU made a good halftime adjustment on defense then ran out of the QB under center with the FB leading and it worked in the 2nd half.

That FG try was pathetic for the Bison.

2 weeks between games will be nice to heal up.

GO BISON

Tazman2664
November 24th, 2019, 02:45 PM
Alcorn is out due to conference obligations.

FAMU is on a self-imposed post-season ban
NC A&T goes to the Celebration Bowl

That eliminates 3 of your 24. How do you propose to replace them?

Well, I am new to this so I was not aware of some of these issues. Celebration Bowl? Who do they play for that instead of going for a championship? And no Southwestern representation, I have no clue about that, maybe they are like the Ivy League.

I did say that UND would be the only independent to get consideration and they got in. With a few open spots, I had SE Louisiana or Nicholls in so with both of them in I was close there. Albany probably was the only one I would not have had a clue about. I know they finished second in the CAA, ahead of Nova and I had Nova in and people where high on Nova all season long and Albany had 4 losses, thus I didn't think they would get a node. So I did have 2 of the 3 named. Close but no cigar.

I do believe NDSU and JMU are in for the Semi's but a match up between Montana State versus Sacramento State will be a close one and Montana versus Weber State will be another good one with both those games for the right to get to the Semi's. Sad thing is outside those 6 teams, I don't see much for competition. Second round games between SDSU and UNI is very interesting and so is Kennesaw State versus Weber State. But I think only the Weber State game has impact on the Semi's. SDSU will have to play JMU at JMU and that will be the end of the ride for SDSU, if they get past UNI.

I thought a playoff would be exciting but it really isn't. NDSU and JMU would be my bet for the title game and probably not that close with any other teams. I could see them reducing the number of teams for this playoff because the majority of those other games are just to kill some time. Not wanting to be mean but I just don't see another team having a chance.