PDA

View Full Version : Illinois St @ Youngstown State

Paladin1aa
November 19th, 2019, 01:14 PM
Redbirds visit YSU as a Top 10 ranked team. 5dimes has ISUr as a 3 pt. Favorite. Rumor has it that true Frosh YSU QB Waid will not only play , but may start. Game notes list Craycraft as the starter but Bozos notes have not proved reliable this season. It’s Senior Day for YSU but noon game for Penn St - Ohio St will limit attendance. Does YSU have a chance and who do you see winning ?

CappinHard
November 19th, 2019, 01:54 PM
I was very surprised by this spread, but now that we know about Davis I understand it a little more. However, I still feel like it's too low. As others have said, Davis wasn't playing great anyway. They win games with their defense. I think ISUr rallies around their new QB and wins by 13.

Paladin1aa
November 19th, 2019, 02:41 PM
With Davis out, the Birds will play 2 untested QBs with nil play time. They look to be weak on O. I agree , their D will have to carry them. This makes for a much more interesting and competitive game. Waid might be the difference.

Paladin1aa
November 20th, 2019, 01:27 PM
Bozo confirms Waid will play. They are also starting a number of new Frosh. Bozo also announces “BIG” changes coming. That’s coach speak for firing a number of assistants to save his worthless arse. The village people have their pitchforks out. Too bad they haven’t gone after the real problem - the AD.

Penguin Nation
November 20th, 2019, 02:53 PM
Break in your new franchise QB against the conference's sack leader and best rushing D lol, while you're tied for second most sacks allowed. ISUr is playing for a week off/seed which is huge and YSU just playing to finish w/o another losing record. FWIW Massey, who ranks YSU 50th in FCS, has ISUr winning by 7. After allowing Misery to keep it close in their house, ISUr will come in with a chip on their shoulder.

ISUr 42, Scumbag U 17

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 20th, 2019, 03:05 PM
I think this one will be close.

Davis was mediocre so he is not a big loss IMO.

Will YSU pack it in for the year and play crappy?

ISU in a close one.

Paladin1aa
November 20th, 2019, 07:40 PM
It’s Senior Day but I expect a near empty stadium because of the Ohio State game and the hatred for Bozo. Players are mixed on Bozo, but playing in front of family, they are playing for pride and Waid May have a break out game. I look for a close one as well. Waid is their best QB and it’s a travesty he wasn’t the starter this year.

Athletic dept is surveying season ticket holders to gauge the damage for next year,lol. The incompetent AD again.

Paladin1aa
November 21st, 2019, 11:21 AM
Local sportswriter picks the Redbirds to win. He has been hot and believes the Birds will use some Wildcat to overcome rookie QB as YSU run D has been poor. A loss would give Bozo his third losing season in his 5 years here. So much for the great ex- Nebraska coach. Can you say bust ? lol

Sadly, I agree. Birds 31-21.

Redbird 4th & short
November 23rd, 2019, 10:31 AM
This game will depend heavily on your OL, our front 7 can very good at times, though there have been breakdowns. If you OL holds up, it should be a close lower scoring game when each offense and defense lines up .. meaning, putting aside possibility of big turnovers or special teams plays. But if your OL struggles, then your QB will see a lot of pressure and then I really like our chances.

You've probably heard, our starting QB left the game unexpectedly but voluntarily last week due to knee issue .. now out for season. Our new #2 QB is completely untested .. he is true FR and was 3rd string until couple weeks ago. Then suddenly put into game in Q2 last week with little prep. Our offense has really struggled to pass consistently .. as much on coach.. es and receivers, as it was the QB but was slowly starting to show signs of being respectable in spots. Now we start over with a true FR. he is 6'6" and a pocket QB who did very well in IL class 8A .. though not a true dual threat, he will surprise you with how well he moves for his size. Our biggest problem in pass game is simply confidence and commitment .. from coaches down to players. Fresh face//arm/legs might surprise us. We also get our stud WR Edgar back today supposedly ... we'll see if he is 100%. He was out the first 2 games, played a bit 3rd game, then exploded in game 4 against NAU with 12 catches and 215 yards, but went down with brokern clavical late that game. Our other starter, RS FR Grimes also went down. The receiver group is very young but talented ... in next year or 2 it will be very good. Now, not so much without Edgar (and Grimes) out there drawing all the attention .. but they have skills .. just very inexperienced for most part. But again .. Edgar shoud be back today. if Baltz has time to throw, he might surprise us all.

I like our chances overall, but our offense is a great equalizer ... in a bad way. Assuming we struggle in pass game, I think this game will come down to your OL. You may like your young QB, but our front 7 can be very disruptive and our corners usually cover well.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 23rd, 2019, 10:34 AM
Please let this be Bo's last game!!

Schism55
November 23rd, 2019, 11:09 AM
First offensive series for the Redbirds, yikes. Guins selling out to stop the run. 'Birds going to have to throw to win this game...

POD Knows
November 23rd, 2019, 11:12 AM
Craycraft is horrid, ISUr is horrid on O, this will be an ugly game

Schism55
November 23rd, 2019, 11:12 AM
Interceptions on back to back plays lol :D

Penguin Nation
November 23rd, 2019, 11:15 AM
YSU with only one completion...except its to a ISUr playerxlolx

Lorne_Malvo
November 23rd, 2019, 11:23 AM
This is bad football.

Schism55
November 23rd, 2019, 11:25 AM
Did I see that stat right, before this game ISUr QB had thrown 3 TOTAL passes all season?

Redbird 4th & short
November 23rd, 2019, 11:26 AM
Interceptions on back to back plays lol :D
well our TE shoudl have made catch

Redbird 4th & short
November 23rd, 2019, 11:34 AM
anytime our guys want to spy the QB and make a tackle ... would be nice

Lorne_Malvo
November 23rd, 2019, 11:35 AM
Refs mikes dont work, camera work is terrible, teams both playing pretty bad football.
This is the perfect storm of all things bad.

POD Knows
November 23rd, 2019, 11:36 AM
YSU 7-0 Waid killing them with his legs

Redbird 4th & short
November 23rd, 2019, 11:37 AM
Did I see that stat right, before this game ISUr QB had thrown 3 TOTAL passes all season?
he is true FR and was 3rd stringer until last couple weeks ... he came into Q2 last week and threw just 2 balls .. one was picked, one wasn't.

sad part was, our starter pulled himself suddenly, and Baltz was the guy signaling in plays and coudn't find his helmet fast emough. So they rushed newly demoted 3rd stringer QB Jefferson onto field ... he threw a pick on his one and only play. Think maybe we should have changed the play call as soon as Davis came off the field and Baltz couldn't find his helmet .... it was qute the show on sideline that play.

gumby013
November 23rd, 2019, 11:39 AM
Never trust a penguin that wears clothes in an area with a continental climate.

Redbird 4th & short
November 23rd, 2019, 11:41 AM
I've yet to see our stud WR Edgar (#4) back .. he was targeting last week's game and was on field warming up but did not dress. Will be good to get him back .. he is clearly our best receiver and most experienced by far.

Redbird 4th & short
November 23rd, 2019, 11:45 AM
wow ???

Herdistheword
November 23rd, 2019, 11:51 AM
3 INT’s already? Put the kickers in at QB!

semobison
November 23rd, 2019, 11:53 AM
The Redbirds have almost 0 ability to pass the football!

POD Knows
November 23rd, 2019, 11:54 AM
The only offense in this game has been QB runs

POD Knows
November 23rd, 2019, 11:55 AM
QB's combined 0-10 with 3 picks

Redbird 4th & short
November 23rd, 2019, 11:58 AM
QB's combined 0-10 with 3 picks
I just computed the QBR for above stats in my head .. I'm pretty good at math ... it is 0.00%

POD Knows
November 23rd, 2019, 12:02 PM
I just computed the QBR for above stats in my head .. I'm pretty good at math ... it is 0.00%Still 0 and another QB run. I guess Freshman QB's aren't allowed or can't throw the football. This is seriously poor offensive play by both teams.

Lorne_Malvo
November 23rd, 2019, 12:10 PM
The Redbirds have absolutely no business being #6.
Win, lose, or draw; they should be out of the top 10 for this insanely poor performance.

Redbird 4th & short
November 23rd, 2019, 12:15 PM
can't we just all agree this is one of the greatest combined defensive performances in history of FCS ... please ?????

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 23rd, 2019, 12:16 PM
Score??

Lorne_Malvo
November 23rd, 2019, 12:17 PM
3-7 YSU leads 1 min remaining in 1st half.

Redbird 4th & short
November 23rd, 2019, 12:19 PM
weak PI there

POD Knows
November 23rd, 2019, 12:21 PM
weak PI thereTerrible call, that is going to be yuge given the ISUr offense in this game.

Bisonoline
November 23rd, 2019, 12:22 PM
can't we just all agree this is one of the greatest combined defensive performances in history of FCS ... please ?????

Now that is funny!!!!!!!!!!xthumbsupx

Redbird 4th & short
November 23rd, 2019, 12:22 PM
wow ???
wow !!!

p.s. replaced question marks with exclamation points

Schism55
November 23rd, 2019, 12:23 PM
14-3 Guins

POD Knows
November 23rd, 2019, 12:23 PM
Win, lose, or draw; they should be out of the top 10 for this insanely poor performance.I had them 8 in my poll, I feel like I should take a shower. Real tough call on that PI and a two score game is going to be tough for ISUr

Redbird 4th & short
November 23rd, 2019, 12:34 PM
Win, lose, or draw; they should be out of the top 10 for this insanely poor performance.
Ive been saying this nearly all season. Though you shouldn't judge our season based on one game .. or one half to be acccurate. But yes, this looks putrid and is a reflection of Spacks handling of QB position and pass game.

As I've belabored before, he just doesn't know how to recruit, develop, or consistently game plan for the QB position and pass game. He inherited Matt Brown as RS FR and he was fortunatel to get Tre Roberson as a JR. Otherwise, if you look at our history of HS QBs recruited and developed by Spack .. it is an awful track record. Kolbe was his best find and he got off to nice start in 2016 as RS SO, but he was sporadic and deteriorated from there. But we've recruited many HS QBs .. not one has worked out. And we almost never have a backup QB who is ready to step in ro shows any real promise. This year is no exception .... as weak as our starter was, we have zero ready to fill in. And now they playoffs are here. Spack is a very good head coach and knows how to recruit every other position group well enough. But our problems always come down to QB position and pass game ... 2016 was the only year a Spack recruited HS QB has played well and he fell way off as JR and lost his job as SR to current guy, who just got injured.

Spack needs to hire a young up an comer OC/QB coach and let him run the offense. There is one common denominator for our pass gaame problems ... Spack .. he is too conservative minded and I think he has our OC and QB on very shrt leashes. It is stifling and confidence breaking.

IMO ..

semobison
November 23rd, 2019, 12:45 PM
Redbirds first half passing stats: 0-7-1 O yards!

semobison
November 23rd, 2019, 12:49 PM
If I my memory is correct they had 0 completions the 2nd half against Misery State last week. That's 60 minutes of football without a pass completion!

mvfcfan
November 23rd, 2019, 12:52 PM
Illinois St just looks bad. They will be lucky to win a game in the playoffs. The one time they made a run they actually had a good QB. That's what this team is missing.

Redbird 4th & short
November 23rd, 2019, 12:52 PM
If I my memory is correct they had 0 completions the 2nd half against Misery State last week. That's 60 minutes of football without a pass completion!
give or take a minute ... yeah

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2019, 12:53 PM
Wade looks to be a solid QB. Too bad he will be wasted at YSU.

Redbird 4th & short
November 23rd, 2019, 12:53 PM
and Baltz shuts everyone up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Redbird 4th & short
November 23rd, 2019, 01:11 PM
Illinois St just looks bad. They will be lucky to win a game in the playoffs. The one time they made a run they actually had a good QB. That's what this team is missing.
and then our collective funk sets in and we play scared to lose. Our QB and pass game ineptness is all on Spack .. he doesn't understand the position at this level with how the game is changing.

BisonFan02
November 23rd, 2019, 01:15 PM
Wow..............

skinny_uncle
November 23rd, 2019, 01:24 PM
Maybe my Salukis were lucky losing or QB in the first month of the season. We've had time to adjust. Ill State just lost their QB too late in the year.

Schism55
November 23rd, 2019, 01:29 PM
ISUr 0-10 on 3rd down :(

Redbird 4th & short
November 23rd, 2019, 01:33 PM
so everyone has been criticising my redbirds .. so let's even things up some.

Is it just me, or do the numbers on YSU jerseys look defective ... like maybe they got them on sale because they cut them wrong ???

Sorry, it's all I got right now.

BisonFan02
November 23rd, 2019, 01:35 PM
Both teams suck equally.

BEAR
November 23rd, 2019, 01:35 PM
Did I hear that right? Redbirds have 7 yards passing TOTAL? xeyebrowx

Lorne_Malvo
November 23rd, 2019, 01:37 PM
Pick 6 this is over

BEAR
November 23rd, 2019, 01:37 PM
INT.

Good grief!

Schism55
November 23rd, 2019, 01:38 PM
Pick 6 seems very apropo xcoffeex

skinny_uncle
November 23rd, 2019, 01:38 PM
I tought the new QB might be more of a problem than the Redbird fans thought coming into this game.

BEAR
November 23rd, 2019, 01:39 PM
Will they get a seed?

Lorne_Malvo
November 23rd, 2019, 01:40 PM
Will they get a seed?

no

BEAR
November 23rd, 2019, 01:42 PM
Another INT ..,but fumbled. Ugh.

BeamMeUp
November 23rd, 2019, 01:42 PM
Happy for the upset, but changes in some fashion need made at YSU. You give up two games of over 50 points each and then somehow completely suffocate #6 ILSU to 3 points and around 100 yards total offense (4 mins left). The inconsistencies have plagued this program under Wofford and Pelini...

Redbird 4th & short
November 23rd, 2019, 01:56 PM
This better cause Spack to take a good long hard look in mirror ... no one is surprised we didn't have a back up QB ready to go. This is much more than norm with ISU. He has a top 10 roster most years, except our QB position and pass game is always our weakest link.

Cool thing to do with injured SR QB Mayes taking that last knee ... very cool.

skinny_uncle
November 23rd, 2019, 01:56 PM
Ill State probably just lost their chance at a seed..

mvfcfan
November 23rd, 2019, 01:58 PM
Shutout to YSU for bringing in Mays to let him take the final knee. That was a very cool moment.

Redbird 4th & short
November 23rd, 2019, 01:58 PM
as I said, we were a weak top 8 seed before today, though no weaker than several others ... this is probably a nail in that coffin.

POD Knows
November 23rd, 2019, 02:01 PM
They might be the worst team in the field of 24 at this point. Freaking sad.

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2019, 02:07 PM
wrong thread

Paladin1aa
November 23rd, 2019, 02:18 PM
Ugly win. ISUr looked awful making YSU look good. Didn’t think that would happen. Yep, no seed for th3 Birds.

Chalupa Batman
November 23rd, 2019, 11:17 PM
Shutout to YSU for bringing in Mays to let him take the final knee. That was a very cool moment.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/11/youngstown-state-teammates-help-injured-qb-take-the-final-snap-of-his-career

Here's the video. Awesome!

Professor Chaos
November 23rd, 2019, 11:55 PM
Didn't notice this thread but posted the Mays video from ESPN in the MVFC thread. What a great gesture. Like I said in the other thread they don't make em much tougher than Nate Mays.

Chalupa Batman
November 24th, 2019, 12:15 AM
It's worth posting in multiple threads for maximum exposure. xthumbsupx

Redbird 4th & short
November 24th, 2019, 08:17 AM
Didn't notice this thread but posted the Mays video from ESPN in the MVFC thread. What a great gesture. Like I said in the other thread they don't make em much tougher than Nate Mays.
It was honestly my favorite play of the game .. of course, we aobsolutely sucked all game .. but thats besides the point.

So in case anyone missed the comments from announcers ... they said he wasn't dressed until late in game and at some point they told him to get dressed. Very classy and cool gesture on a Senior Day.

Play of the game

Redbird 4th & short
November 24th, 2019, 08:20 AM
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/11/youngstown-state-teammates-help-injured-qb-take-the-final-snap-of-his-career

Here's the video. Awesome!

bump since page changed right away

Schism55
November 24th, 2019, 08:46 AM
LOTS of love for this on Twitter. Very cool gesture. Totally agree, Mays is tough as nails.

LehighU11
November 24th, 2019, 10:32 AM
I tuned into SportsCenter this morning just as this clip was coming on. What a great gesture by the YSU players for their senior QB. I'm sure everyone at the game will remember that more than almost any victory.

Paladin1aa
November 24th, 2019, 12:04 PM
Unfortunately there were maybe 200 people in the stands to witness it. Far more will see it online. Nate was very well liked by his team mates.

Penguin Nation
November 24th, 2019, 04:54 PM
YSU screwed Mays over his entire career at Scumbag U except for this year. They never developed him, and recruited & played inferior QBs over him (Van Gorder...recruited for only 1 year, and #pick6). Never even recruited a decent o-line to protect him. But using him for the final play gimmick was genius. It was sensational PR, incredible theater, and the scandal-ridden program has changed the conversation from it's underachievement and corruption to this stunt. Mays is a team player so I'm sure he's doesn't care.

On social media, everyone is buying the premise that DumBo has these secret changes he's been saving for his 6th year, and despite having one winning conference record (with Wolf's players) in 5 years...YSU will rise again in 2020 lol. DumBo getting his 100th win reminds me of Slocum getting his 1000th...YSU paints these nitwits as if they're legends.

Another work of genius is opening 2020 at Akron. Akron is so bad I think there's a chance they actually drop FB before that game. I'm calling that FBS scalp now.

Paladin1aa
November 24th, 2019, 07:39 PM
The reality, PN, is Bozo has developed virtually no players in all his years here. QBs, OL, DBs, etc. Name any position.

Akron under Arth is just awful and soon to be 0-12. However the early look to next year is woeful. They lose 4 of 5 starting OL, no backups worth anything and the 5th starter is a stinker. They lose a ton of D players, probably including Reed ,who will probably pass on his 7th year to go Pro. Bozo hasn’t recruited one class worth anything. He will have a couple of Frosh who will be good but will lack a surrounding cast to make them even an average team. 2020 looks bleak. Bozo is bull*****ing the cheerleaders again.

JayJ79
November 24th, 2019, 07:56 PM
probably including Reed ,who will probably pass on his 7th year to go Pro.
7th year?!? oh my