PDA

View Full Version : 2019-11/23 AGS GOTW Week 13

Preferred Walk-On
November 17th, 2019, 07:53 PM
Last week of the regular season everybody. Thanks for voting this year. In fact, we had our most voters (98) for last week's (Week 12) slate of games. Although one game this week stands out due to rivalry, ranking, and playoff seed implications, there are many other compelling games, due to the stakes riding on their outcomes. Should be a great final weekend, and an exciting selection show for many. Enjoy!

#3 Montana @ #8 Montana State - Brawl of the Wild, enough said. Is there enough room in the top 8 for four Big Sky seeds? The Cats hope to test that theory, while the Griz look to avenge the past three years.

Delaware @ #10 Villanova - Are the Wildcats a top 8 seed? Not if they lose to the Blue Hens. However, a win by Villanova makes this argument go from a whisper to at least an inside-voice/low roar level.

#15 Central Connecticut State @ Duquesne - Can an NEC team with an undefeated FCS record and a close loss to an FBS team sneak into a seed? Duquesne looks to recreate the magic of last year's first round and play spoiler.

#13 Central Arkansas @ Incarnate Word - The Bears this year have ranged from playoff seed to WTF. While the Southland autobid lies in another GOTW candidate, a Bears' win makes a strong case for three from the Southland.

#11 Wofford @ #34 The Citadel - Despite their slow start, the Terriers control their own destiny. A win by Wofford means the SoCon title and eight straight FCS wins. Could it also mean a seed? The Bulldogs look to end their up-and-down season on a positive note (and keep the tiniest sliver of hope for postseason alive).

#25 Nicholls State @ #18 Southeastern Louisiana - The Lions have been a nice surprise this year, and appear to have regained their footing after stumbling a bit midseason. The story is very similar for the Colonels. And while both appear to be playoff bound, this is for the Southland conference title (or a share thereof) and autobid.

#35 Maine @ New Hampshire - Win, and you're on the bubble. Lose, and you are out. With five CAA teams at 4-3 in the conference (3rd-7th place) and four of these teams teetering on 6-7 wins, there is no room for error in this one.

#26 Albany @ Stony Brook - A win for the Great Danes, and they secure 2nd place in the CAA (and assure a playoff bid). A loss, and the Great Danes become part of the milieu of mediocrity described above and put the decision in the hands of the committee.

#35 Chattanooga @ Virginia Military Institute - Every time it appears that Mocs are dead, they take a breath. They need this win to be 7-5 and have even a glimmer of hope for Thanksgiving football.

Honorable Mentions/Other:

#37 UC Davis @ #4 Sac State - seed implications for Hornets.
Elon @ #21 Towson - playoff security for Tigers (8-4).
Georgetown @ Holy Cross - Crusaders for Patriot title and 7-5 (winning) record.
Lafayette @ Lehigh - Holy Cross loss and Lafayette win, hello Patriot League champ and autobid with a 4-8 record.

TheKingpin28
November 17th, 2019, 08:09 PM
I had to go with NSU vs SELA. Winner gets the AQ and the loser is on the bubble.

BEAR
November 17th, 2019, 08:36 PM
Last week of the regular season everybody. Thanks for voting this year. In fact, we had our most voters (98) for last week's (Week 12) slate of games. Although one game this week stands out due to rivalry, ranking, and playoff seed implications, there are many other compelling games, due to the stakes riding on their outcomes. Should be a great final weekend, and an exciting selection show for many.

Central Arkansas @ Incarnate Word - The Bears this year have ranged from playoff seed to WTF. While the Southland championship lies in another GOTW candidate, a Bears' win makes a strong case for three from the Southland.

Nicholls State @ Southeastern Louisiana - The Lions have been a nice surprise this year, and appear to have regained their footing after stumbling a bit midseason. The story is very similar for the Colonels. And while both appear to be playoff bound, this is for the Southland conference title and autobid.

You do know if UCA wins they also are SLC champions right? xeyebrowx

SUPharmacist
November 17th, 2019, 08:47 PM
Brawl of the wild for me. Hoping for a close game, but I feel like it may end up being a blowout.

Preferred Walk-On
November 17th, 2019, 08:57 PM
You do know if UCA wins they also are SLC champions right? xeyebrowx

I did know that, as I think most conferences do not have tiebreakers for the conference championship (and banner) per se, they are just for determining the autobid. I fixed the post to clarify this distinction. Thanks for pointing it out.

dewey
November 17th, 2019, 09:08 PM
Brawl of the Wild for me.

Go Grizzlies!

Dewey

CopperCat
November 17th, 2019, 09:33 PM
No brainer here. Cat-griz.

Bisonator
November 18th, 2019, 08:37 AM
Brawl hands down.

ST_Lawson
November 18th, 2019, 09:26 AM
Biggest rivalry west of the Mississippi, and this time it's two top-10 teems and for seeding into the playoffs.
If Montana wins, might they even surpass James Madison as the #2 seed?
If Montana State wins, do we see both of them in the top 8 (and if Weber and Sac State both win their games...do we see 4 seeded Big Sky teams)?

That's pretty huge.

Catbooster
November 18th, 2019, 10:51 AM
With all of the playoff ramifications this year, I don't have to feel like it's a homer vote to pick Cat/Griz.

Chalupa Batman
November 18th, 2019, 02:27 PM
Brawl of the Wild. I wanted to show some love to Nicholls and SLU because the loser cant be 100% comfortable about their playoff chances (although both will probably be in), but both teams being top 10 and the seeding implications makes Cat-Griz the easy choice.

Reign of Terrier
November 18th, 2019, 02:40 PM
I voted Nicholls/SELA because it's the one game where both teams can make the playoffs with a win or get left out with a loss. Brawl of the Wild was my second choice, also because of playoff implications.

uofmman1122
November 18th, 2019, 04:22 PM
Biggest rivalry west of the Mississippi, and this time it's two top-10 teems and for seeding into the playoffs.
If Montana wins, might they even surpass James Madison as the #2 seed?
If Montana State wins, do we see both of them in the top 8 (and if Weber and Sac State both win their games...do we see 4 seeded Big Sky teams)?

That's pretty huge.
JMU would have to lay a huge egg against Rhody for us to pass them, and we'd have to smoke the Cats by like 50, or something.

ST_Lawson
November 18th, 2019, 04:25 PM
JMU would have to lay a huge egg against Rhody for us to pass them, and we'd have to smoke the Cats by like 50, or something.

Probably, but crazier things have happened. I didn't expect you guys to crush Weber State like you did either...I thought you'd likely win, but I was thinking by 3, not by 19.

uofmman1122
November 18th, 2019, 04:58 PM
Probably, but crazier things have happened. I didn't expect you guys to crush Weber State like you did either...I thought you'd likely win, but I was thinking by 3, not by 19.
To be fair, we were up by 32 when Hauck called the dogs off in the 4th quarter and started subbing in guys from our 2nd and 3rd teams.

But we still have that loss to Sac holding us back. JMU hasn't lost to an FCS team yet.

ST_Lawson
November 18th, 2019, 06:28 PM
To be fair, we were up by 32 when Hauck called the dogs off in the 4th quarter and started subbing in guys from our 2nd and 3rd teams.

But we still have that loss to Sac holding us back. JMU hasn't lost to an FCS team yet.

Oh, I know. I was following the scores as I was sitting at Hanson Field watching my team get run over by the Salukis. I remember checking it when it was 35-3 and thinking "what in the actual f***". I knew Montana was good this year. I did not think they were "steamroll Weber State" good.

I'm just saying if Montana does to a very good MSU team what you did to Weber State (or worse), and JMU ends up struggling against a bad Rhode Island team (like, they win, but it's a close win...single-digit margin win), I could easily see some people putting Montana just a bit ahead of JMU...could be enough to eek out a #2 spot in the poll (and might be enough to convince the playoff committee).

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 18th, 2019, 08:35 PM
I went with the SLC showdown.

Having lived in Montana I appreciate the Brawl! But last week's Griz-Weber State battle was the GOTY in the BSC...

CopperCat
November 18th, 2019, 10:55 PM
I went with the SLC showdown.

Having lived in Montana I appreciate the Brawl! But last week's Griz-Weber State battle was the GOTY in the BSC...
You lived in Montana and you “appreciate the Brawl?”

I don’t think you truly understand what this game means to the state if you’re making a statement like that.