PDA

View Full Version : SoCon?OVC 2019

Milktruck74
November 17th, 2019, 08:54 AM
The OVC/SOCon is always a good discussion. Many teams cross over and play each other due to proximity, throughout the season. Many team compete for the same players in recruiting. And many of the players have played against or with eachother in HS....sometimes the coaches jump back and forth...maybe not so much HCs (a few), but a ton of position coaches go back and forth. Being a SoCon fan, I've always felt it was a better league. OVC was dominated by JSU and everybody else was subpar. THis season is quite different. But I'm still not sure how to account for it....

Chattanooga beats EIU (expected)
TTU beasts Samford (initially looks like a good win for TTU, but we find out sammy isn't that good)
JSU beat Chattanooga (looks like an expected loss, but we later find out JSU is not good)
APSU beats Mercer (Somewhat expected, APSU looks like a good team)
ETSU beats APSU (WHAT??? The last place SoCon Team Beat the OVC Champs??? Big time head scratcher on this one)

I may have missed one.

But here is my take on it....

Socon 2
OVC 3.

While it looks like the OVC won the battle this year, that last one should make you take a big pause. The mountain Pirates were BAD this season.VERY BAD. Hell, They got beat by EVERYBODY, except Mercer and APSU!!!!

Mocs123
November 17th, 2019, 09:28 AM
My take is the OVC was up a little overall this year. JSU had lots of talent*, but couldn't pull it together, instead of being a one trick pony at the top, the OVC may be starting to develop a little depth.

(having seen both JSU and JMU this season I thought talent was pretty even. JMU executed very well and was well coached, JSU was undisciplined)

The SoCon might also be down a little this year, but is pretty deep top to bottom. ETSU was not as bad as their record and is just having to pay the karma back they borrowed last season.