PDA

View Full Version : Erik Meyer - Eastern Washington Article

flea
May 17th, 2007, 02:07 PM
http://www.nfleurope.com/teams/story/COL/10185930

Hooked on football

May 17, 2007
By Sam Kasan

In 2001, Erik Meyer had to make a decision.

Meyer, who excelled as a quarterback in football and a right-handed starting pitcher in baseball at La Mirada High School in California, had to decide which route his life would take following graduation.

The 18-year-old high school senior was selected in the 37th round of the Major League Baseball draft by the Cincinnati Reds. He also had an opportunity to play collegiate football at Eastern Washington. But the decision wasn't difficult for Meyer.

http://images.nfl.com/photos/img10185929.jpg

Erik Meyer chose football ahead of a career in baseball (City-Press).
"There's something about football that I couldn't let go of," said the 6-foot-1, 215-pound Meyer. "Baseball is there as a backup plan. I'm trying to push for football and give it all I have."

Six years later, the California native is the starting quarterback in Germany for the Cologne Centurions of the NFL Europa League.

"The experience has been awesome," he said. "I'm playing in a different country, playing football in front of a whole new crowd, a new group of guys. My main goal was to make the team. Now it's to win the World Bowl."

Meyer, who became the Centurions (3-2) starting quarterback in the third week of the season, is starting to find his groove. In the last two games (both against the Berlin Thunder) he has completed 24 of 33 passes (73 percent) for 305 yards and six touchdowns while throwing no interceptions.

"Things are going pretty well," he said of his recent play. "It's starting to click for me. I'm getting the timing down with receivers and they're making plays. I started feeling more comfortable with more reps."

Two weeks ago against the Thunder in Cologne, Meyer's second start, he recorded the best passer-rating for a quarterback in the 2007 NFLEL season with a 136.9 mark after completing 15 of 21 passes (71 percent) for 180 yards and three touchdowns. A week later, he would have broken his own mark after completing 9 of 12 passes (75 percent) for 125 yards and three touchdowns for a 147.6 quarterback rating, but he didn't throw the necessary 14 attempts for eligibility.

"Erik is a fierce competitor," offensive coordinator Jeff Filkovski said. "He's a great leader. He understands the system. He's able to get the football out in time. He can see the big picture."

Meyer was one of four quarterbacks in training camp trying to earn a roster spot. He made the club as a backup, along with starter Quinton Porter.

"I struggled a little bit in Tampa," admitted the 24-year-old. "Once I got my confidence back and started making some throws I got more comfortable."

Meyer saw action as Cologne's backup in the first two games. In Week 3, he made his first NFLEL start on the road at rival Rhein Fire in Dusseldorf.

On Cologne's first offensive possession he threw an interception that led to a Fire field goal and a 3-0 lead. Meyer still led the team to a 14-6 victory as the Centurions won the Rhein Cup for the first time in over two years.

"The first game against Rhein I struggled," he said. "The offense couldn't get anything going but any time you come out with a win, it's a good game."

Meyer got a brief taste of the NFL after breaking several passing records at Eastern Washington. He signed as an undrafted free agent with the Cincinnati Bengals, however, Meyer was waived in training camp.

He signed with the San Francisco Giants of MLB for instructional league play. With the Giants, a team that saw enough in Meyer to draft him in both the 2004 and 2005 drafts, he pitched one scoreless inning out of the bullpen.

Meyer's football career was resurrected with his assignment to NFL Europa, giving him another shot to show that he deserves to play with the best of the best.

"I know some great quarterbacks have come through (NFL Europa)," Meyer said. "It's a great opportunity and another chance to get a look from an NFL team."

Meyer has had to overcome many obstacles during his career. First, his 6-1 frame isn't in the mold of the prototypical quarterback. Second, his throwing motion isn't the ideal over the top motion.

"I know I can get over those," he said. "They don't hold me back. It may affect the teams out there looking at me. I just keep playing the way I can play and with passion. I'll eventually get a shot."

Said Filkovski:

"His size is one thing that hurts him and his release point is kind of low. But he's a competitor, a leader. He gives the team a spark when he's in there. His spirit and moxie gives our offense an attitude."

Meyer's other strength is his willingness to sacrifice his body for an extra yard.

"I think the guys rally around me because I'm going to give it my all every play even if I have to run at two linebackers," he said. "I'm going to sacrifice myself for the betterment of the team."

"His teammates see the competitor that he is and how he pulls himself off the ground after getting hit and making plays," Filkovski said. "Being put in the role of quarterback, naturally you have to have some type of leadership qualities. The playmakers rise to the top as a leader."

Meyer is on the rise.