View Full Version : Patriot League Pick 'em Week 12

carney2
November 10th, 2019, 01:43 PM
Everything appears to be a scramble this year. One more time:

LEHIGH @ Sacred Heart

COLGATE @ LAFAYETTE

HOLY CROSS @ FORDHAM

GEORGETOWN @ BUCKNELL

Game of the Week: Until they self destruct, it has to be a surprising Lafayette and who(m)ever they are playing. This week it's Colgate.

bonarae
November 10th, 2019, 04:29 PM
Lehigh
Lafayette
Holy Cross
Georgetown

This is so difficult a year to pick. xsmhx

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 10th, 2019, 04:38 PM
Lehigh might on their 3rd string QB and their offensive line a mess. Sacred Heart clobbered Bucknell and Lafayette earlier in the season. I think the Pioneers win by 3 TDs. Lehigh's in a bad spot to end the year with injuries and an inept OL.

Southsider
November 10th, 2019, 05:26 PM
Lehigh might on their 3rd string QB and their offensive line a mess. Sacred Heart clobbered Bucknell and Lafayette earlier in the season. I think the Pioneers win by 3 TDs. Lehigh's in a bad spot to end the year with injuries and an inept OL.

my first pick of the year:

Sacred Heart 35-10

may not be that close

- - - Updated - - -

my first pick of the year:

Sacred Heart 35-10

may not be that close

aceinthehole
November 10th, 2019, 05:34 PM

I think they are at least a 14-point favorite. SHU is 5-1 vs. the Patriot League over the last 3 seasons and have won 4 in a row heading into next week's match up vs. Lehigh. The Pioneers have scored 30 or more in the last 6 games against PL opponents.

11/16/19 - vs. Lehigh
9/14/19 - W, 56-40 at Lafayette
9/7/19 - W, 30-10 vs. Bucknell
9/8/18 - W, 30-14 at Bucknell
9/1/18 - W, 35-6 vs. Lafayette
9/23/17 - L, 31-34 at Bucknell
9/9/17 - W, 38-24 at Lafayette

This season the NEC is 4-1 vs. the Patriot League this season.

9/14/19 - L, 14-19 Bryant vs. Fordham
9/14/19 - W, 56-40 Sacred Heart at Lafayette
9/7/19 - W, 30-10 Sacred Heart vs. Bucknell
8/31/19 - W, 14-13 Saint Francis at Lehigh
8/31/19 - W, 26-23 CCSU at Fordham

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 10th, 2019, 05:41 PM
I think they are at least a 14-point favorite. SHU is 5-1 vs. the Patriot League over the last 3 seasons and have won 4 in a row heading into next week's match up vs. Lehigh. The Pioneers have scored 30 or more in the last 6 games against PL opponents.

11/16/19 - vs. Lehigh
9/14/19 - W, 56-40 at Lafayette
9/7/19 - W, 30-10 vs. Bucknell
9/8/18 - W, 30-14 at Bucknell
9/1/18 - W, 35-6 vs. Lafayette
9/23/17 - L, 31-34 at Bucknell
9/9/17 - W, 38-24 at Lafayette

This season the NEC is 4-1 vs. the Patriot League this season.

9/14/19 - L, 14-19 Bryant vs. Fordham
9/14/19 - W, 56-40 Sacred Heart at Lafayette
9/7/19 - W, 30-10 Sacred Heart vs. Bucknell
8/31/19 - W, 14-13 Saint Francis at Lehigh
8/31/19 - W, 26-23 CCSU at Fordham

Interesting the Pioneers have only played Bucknell and Lafayette in recent years. The two traditional PL cellar dwellars. Obviously Lafayette is currently the tallest midget in the PL. Shame the PL can't offer more competition.

Pioneers will roll on Saturday. Lehigh still has a shot winning season to play for but the wheels have come off again. I really don't think this game will be close.

aceinthehole
November 10th, 2019, 06:09 PM
Interesting the Pioneers have only played Bucknell and Lafayette in recent years. The two traditional PL cellar dwellars. Obviously Lafayette is currently the tallest midget in the PL. Shame the PL can't offer more competition.

Pioneers will roll on Saturday. Lehigh still has a shot winning season to play for but the wheels have come off again. I really don't think this game will be close.

Sacred Heart has moved to a majority Patriot/Ivy non-conference schedule over the last few years.

SHU vs. Patriot (9-8)
Bucknell (3-2)
Colgate (0-1)
Fordham (0-2) - NCAA Playoffs
Georgetown (1-0)
Holy Cross (0-2)
Lafayette (5-1)

SHU vs. Ivy (5-7)
Columbia (1-0)
Cornell (2-1)
Dartmouth (2-4)
Penn (0-2)

kdinva
November 10th, 2019, 06:23 PM
LEHIGH 20 @ Sacred Heart 17

COLGATE 21 @ LAFAYETTE 26

HOLY CROSS 31 @ FORDHAM 21

GEORGETOWN 24 @ BUCKNELL 20

RichH2
November 10th, 2019, 06:42 PM
Well I will await some news on injuries first. Dont know why I really dont expect the implosion on O to reverse so quickly.

DFW HOYA
November 10th, 2019, 06:57 PM
With a scenario of a Lehigh loss to Sacred Heart, a Holy Cross loss to Fordham and back to back losses by Georgetown, no PL team will finish above .500 this season.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 10th, 2019, 07:36 PM
With a scenario of a Lehigh loss to Sacred Heart, a Holy Cross loss to Fordham and back to back losses by Georgetown, no PL team will finish above .500 this season.

Sadly, that was covered in the "Absolutely Awful PL" thread....

I'm leaning towards the home team except maybe the HC-FU game. Depends what Fordham team shows up at home. They have the athletes to give the Crusaders trouble. Although I'm sensing Conlin might be losing the team.

Lehigh-SHU is the only game I see being clear cut.

SUPharmacist
November 10th, 2019, 08:26 PM
Sacred Heart
Lafayette
Holy Cross
Georgetown

ngineer
November 10th, 2019, 11:15 PM
Waiting to hear injury report on our QB's and OL. Part of the reason for the OL's implosion at Bucknell was a couple starters out. It could be men against boys out there, again. Also, which QB is anyone's guess.

carney2
November 11th, 2019, 07:58 AM
I had a difficult time sorting out the PL standings, so I had to make up my own (League record is shown first; shown alphabetically in the event of ties):

Holy Cross: 3-1, 5-5
Lafayette: 3-1, 3-7
Lehigh: 3-2, 4-5
Bucknell: 2-2, 2-7
Colgate: 2-3, 3-8
Fordham: 1-3, 3-7
Georgetown: 1-3, 5-4

Pathetic! Amendments and corrections gratefully accepted.

Sader87
November 11th, 2019, 11:46 AM
Rationalizing, but much of the PL's abysmal overall team records are due to probably overly ambitious scheduling, adding FBS $$$ games etc. There are very few OOC losses this year to teams that weren't somewhat of a "stretch game."

HC: at Navy, at Syracuse, at Yale, Harvard
LC: at W&M, at Monmouth, SHU, at Albany, Penn, at Princeton
LU: St Francis, at Nova, at UC-DAVIS
BU: at Temple, at SHU, Nova, Princeton, at Towson
CU: Nova, at Air Force, at W&M, Maine, at Dartmouth
FU: CCSU, at Ball St, at Stony Brook, at Yale
GU: at Davidson

For the most part, a pretty tough slate against FBS, some of the better CAA and Ivy teams. Probably only about 2 or 3 "bad losses" imo.

Again, not outright excusing everyone in the PL...but putting it in perspective.

aceinthehole
November 11th, 2019, 12:18 PM
Rationalizing, but much of the PL's abysmal overall team records are due to probably overly ambitious scheduling, adding FBS $$$ games etc. There are very few OOC losses this year to teams that weren't somewhat of a "stretch game."

HC: at Navy, at Syracuse, at Yale, Harvard
LC: at W&M, at Monmouth, SHU, at Albany, Penn, at Princeton
LU: St Francis, at Nova, at UC-DAVIS
BU: at Temple, at SHU, Nova, Princeton, at Towson
CU: Nova, at Air Force, at W&M, Maine, at Dartmouth
FU: CCSU, at Ball St, at Stony Brook, at Yale

For the most part, a pretty tough slate against FBS, some of the better CAA and Ivy teams. Probably only about 2 or 3 "bad losses" imo.

Again, not outright excusing everyone in the PL...but putting it in perspective.

In essence what you are saying is the only "bad losses" are to NEC teams. Aren't you are basically admitting that the PL isn't competitive vs. the Ivy or CAA?

Basically, the only wins you can count on come from Cornell, Brown, Wagner, Bryant, and Marist.

DFW HOYA
November 11th, 2019, 12:35 PM

Not a stretch game.

Sader87
November 11th, 2019, 04:10 PM
In essence what you are saying is the only "bad losses" are to NEC teams. Aren't you are basically admitting that the PL isn't competitive vs. the Ivy or CAA?

Basically, the only wins you can count on come from Cornell, Brown, Wagner, Bryant, and Marist.

Not necessarily....HC beat UNH, Fordham beat Richmond, Georgetown won at Columbia off the top of my head this year.

I will say that the PL is definitely behind both the CAA and Ivy in general but I think the PL may be closing that gap somewhat.

That was a very tough slate of games this year for most FCS leagues not named the MVFC, Big Sky or CAA.

Ivytalk
November 11th, 2019, 05:19 PM
Sacred Heart
Colgate
Holy Cross
Georgetown

TheValleyRaider
November 11th, 2019, 09:29 PM
Chaos again. 1-2 again. 34-20 so far, which is pretty rough. I'd say this proves I know nothing, but deep in my heart I always knew that was the case.

Lehigh at Sacred Heart Sacred Heart The bloom is off the Hawks. Or their luck has run out. Probably the latter. Looking like they might be pulling it together, than two straight defeats. Not quite NEC contenders at this point, having already losing to Duquense and CCSU, the Pioneers are 2-0 against the Patriot League, with two big wins over Bucknell and Lafayette. Lehigh has not either of them so far this year.

Colgate at Lafayette Colgate And then it ends. Final game of a disappointing 2019 for the Raiders, one last chance to throw a further wrench into the League standings. With wins in 3 of their last 4, is the 'Gate suddenly hot? The Leopards have won three in a row, so I guess they are too. One for the road, Raiders, finish strong.

Holy Cross at Fordham Holy Cross Who bounces back after a tough defeat? The Rams are at home, but I usually pick home teams, and my PL record is terrible, so that's probably not going to work. The Crusaders have something to play for still, with one eye on the scoreboard in Easton.

Georgetown at Bucknell Bucknell No idea what to do with this one. Oh who am I kidding, that's true for every game. No one is consistent enough to trust picking for or against in this League. My god, have we all become Lafayette? Home team.

ngineer
November 11th, 2019, 09:44 PM
At this point I will be surprised if either Monaco or Shoup start. Beesmer, imo, showed more than Shoup. Better arm. But can he run the offense? If Hill is back and our OL MIA's return, maybe we can make a game of it. But, based upon comparative scores and some bad mojo, gotta go with SHU, 32-17.

'gate has found some purpose and will throw the monkey wrench into the PL standings. 28-24.

Holy Cross could be too focused on Easton and not the Rams. Fordham has shown some fine athletes. Just hasn't gotten it together as a team and beats itself too much. Due to the state of affairs, I have to go with the Rams only for the purpose of screwing things up.

Where oh where have the Hoyas gone? What was such a promising early season run has become a swirl around the porcelain bowl. However, Bucknell is not good. Hoyas should win this, 31-17.

DFW HOYA
November 12th, 2019, 12:51 PM
Where oh where have the Hoyas gone?

No surprises here--its best defensive player of the last decade (Tate) is out for the season with a bicep tear. Its second best defensive player (Bowers) was out for much of the last month and is not 100%. Its starting RB (Moultrie) is out of action.

Hard to build depth without scholarships.

RichH2
November 12th, 2019, 02:42 PM
At this point I will be surprised if either Monaco or Shoup start. Beesmer, imo, showed more than Shoup. Better arm. But can he run the offense? If Hill is back and our OL MIA's return, maybe we can make a game of it. But, based upon comparative scores and some bad mojo, gotta go with SHU, 32-17.

'gate has found some purpose and will throw the monkey wrench into the PL standings. 28-24.

Holy Cross could be too focused on Easton and not the Rams. Fordham has shown some fine athletes. Just hasn't gotten it together as a team and beats itself too much. Due to the state of affairs, I have to go with the Rams only for the purpose of screwing things up.

Where oh where have the Hoyas gone? What was such a promising early season run has become a swirl around the porcelain bowl. However, Bucknell is not good. Hoyas should win this, 31-17.

Per Game Notes
Monaco and Shoup listed. We'll see
All injured OL also listed.
Spencer and Hope are not.
Hill still on injured list.

carney2
November 13th, 2019, 01:23 PM
LEHIGH @ Sacred Heart - The panty stains don't appear to be on the cusp of doing anything dramatic. They just need to play out the string and end their misery.

COLGATE @ LAFAYETTE - I would love to pick the Leopards and put a little drama in this Patsy Year of Futility, but I've been watching this series for too long. The Raiders always find a way.

HOLY CROSS @ FORDHAM - I'm guessing that the purple gang will have fewer than five turnovers this week.

GEORGETOWN @ BUCKNELL - Still not a Bucky believer.

RichH2
November 14th, 2019, 11:18 AM
Lehigh- SHU Even at full strength LU would be hard pressed to get this W. So, of course, I pick Lehigh. :)
Gate-Pards. Both teams are on W streaks.Pards have the QB and a healthy D. Pards
Holy Cross-Rams. Based on talent alone Rams should win. Crusaders have a D and likely the W.
Hoyas-Bison. Dave's squad is rising. Thoroughly trashed Lehigh. Hoyas are a slightly better team overall. Close call. I'll go with Hoyas.

van
November 14th, 2019, 11:48 AM
LEHIGH @ Sacred Heart - hope I am wrong but we have been fading while Pioneers have been solid all year

COLGATE @ LAFAYETTE - Gaters have not given up, but can they pull it off, could go either way

HOLY CROSS @ FORDHAM - Cross just too solid in all phases

GEORGETOWN @ BUCKNELL - injuries and lack of depth biting Hoyas, but they do have an OL and a D

ngineer
November 14th, 2019, 12:21 PM
Article in today's Morning Call indicates that Colgate QB Brenneman is now "full strength" so they anticipate more of a 'run and gun' offense. Should be a good one. Hard to believe at this late date 3 of the four preason favorites (CU, FU and GU) are the bottom three, and LC, LU and BU are still in the running for at least a share of the league championship. Only HC is in a position most felt would be championship contender. If Bucky, Fordham and Colgate all win, there will be a four-way tie for first place at 3-2. UFR!

RichH2
November 14th, 2019, 04:51 PM
Shoup cleared to play. Monaco is not yet cleared. Agree on Beesmer. Very good arm and can run. Can he be a QB? Remains to be seen. Does look like OL is back. That said lets not forget tho OL wasnt great at full strength. Run attack will be limited by the absence of Hill and Hope.Allen and Lucas are capable. Allen has the biggest upside of any of our RBs, if the OL can get him past the LOS.

Colgate TD
November 15th, 2019, 04:22 PM
Sacred Heart 30, Lehigh 14
Holy Cross 32, Fordham 10
G'town 17, Bucknell 7
Colgate 24, Lafayette 17

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 15th, 2019, 05:25 PM
Bucknell 24 Georgetown 20
Holy Cross 27 Fordham 17
Sacred Heart 31 Lehigh 16
Lafayette 28 Colgate 24

Leopard Loyalist
November 15th, 2019, 06:28 PM
0-3 last week. That can happen when pretty much every game is a tossup.

LEHIGH @ Sacred Heart

COLGATE @ LAFAYETTE

HOLY CROSS @ FORDHAM

GEORGETOWN @ BUCKNELL

crusader11
November 16th, 2019, 12:03 PM
Sacred Heart’s coach punting on 4th and 2 from the Lehigh 34 for a net gain of 14 yards.

What a dolt.

IslandPard
November 16th, 2019, 12:09 PM
Lafayette offense playing like doo doo so far. 4 offensive series with no points.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 16th, 2019, 12:19 PM
Breneman 1 yard TD run, XP blocked...

Colgate 6-0 0:41 1Q

RichH2
November 16th, 2019, 12:23 PM
Lehigh 3-0.
Beesmer has shown quite well. Play calling by OC not so much. Wind a big factor for both teams so far. D has stuffed SHU run game so far.

aceinthehole
November 16th, 2019, 12:27 PM
Lehigh 3-0.
Beesmer has shown quite well. Play calling by OC not so much. Wind a big factor for both teams so far. D has stuffed SHU run game so far.

Very similar situation 60 miles away in New Britain. Not much of a passing game due to the windy conditions. The teams that can run the ball this week has the advantage.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 16th, 2019, 12:29 PM
Colgate defense is dominating...

Southsider
November 16th, 2019, 12:53 PM
LU play calling is horrible. NEED A FULLBACK! No imagination whatsoever😡

IslandPard
November 16th, 2019, 12:58 PM
Colgate defense is dominating...

Dominating is a stretch. LC offense just inept today. Top 4 WRs out with injuries.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 16th, 2019, 01:03 PM
The scores today are indicative of bad football. Just blah

Thankfully i'm looking at the Fargo Dome waiting to see #1...

Southsider
November 16th, 2019, 01:39 PM
LU football is a complete **** show. O scheme needs to change, along with several coaches.

PAllen
November 16th, 2019, 01:41 PM
LU play calling is horrible. NEED A FULLBACK! No imagination whatsoever😡

If only we could have hired someone who knows how to make an offense hum inside Goodman.

DFW HOYA
November 16th, 2019, 01:49 PM
Halftime at Lewisburg: Georgetown 10-6. Bucknell has one yard passing.

The PL motto: "Good seats still available."

http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/images/bucknell_406.jpg

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 16th, 2019, 01:53 PM
Holy Cross is down 14-0 at half..

Maybe Colgate should rep the league? This an embarrassment...

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 16th, 2019, 01:55 PM
Halftime at Lewisburg: Georgetown 10-6. Bucknell has one yard passing.

The PL motto: "Good seats still available."

http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/images/bucknell_406.jpg

With PSU still playing meaningful football down the road Bison football stands no chance....

Southsider
November 16th, 2019, 02:03 PM
Brisson needs to be fired. Today wouldn’t be to soon!

IslandPard
November 16th, 2019, 02:07 PM
LU football is a complete **** show. O scheme needs to change, along with several coaches.

Next week ought to be a major snooze fest. Our offense is stuck in 2018.

aceinthehole
November 16th, 2019, 02:15 PM
Sacred Heart completes the non-conference sweep of the Patriot League (3-0) and the NEC finishes the season 5-1 vs. Patriot League opponents.

Lehigh - 6
Sacred Heart - 13

Final

DFW HOYA
November 16th, 2019, 02:16 PM
Sacred Heart completes the non-conference sweep of the Patriot League (3-0) and the NEC finishes the season 5-1 vs. Patriot League opponents.

Lehigh - 6
Sacred Heart - 13

Final

What hath scholarships wrought? In the PL, very little.

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 16th, 2019, 02:18 PM
What hath scholarships wrought? In the PL, very little.

They've literally killed the league! And the coaching is no where good to overcome it!

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 16th, 2019, 02:20 PM

Lehigh - 6
Sacred Heart - 13

Final

The top 3 teams in the PSAC would sweep the PL. The karate kid would sweep the PL...

Sader87
November 16th, 2019, 02:47 PM
HC has come back to tie...14 all end 3

Sader87
November 16th, 2019, 03:08 PM
21 all now

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 16th, 2019, 03:12 PM
21 all now

Another classic PL pillow fight!

Southsider
November 16th, 2019, 03:15 PM
21 all now

Please win Cross. PLEASE! I don’t want LU to get lucky next week and go to playoffs to get embarrassed.....again. 😩😩😩

Go Lehigh TU Owl
November 16th, 2019, 03:26 PM
Please win Cross. PLEASE! I don’t want LU to get lucky next week and go to playoffs to get embarrassed.....again. 😩😩😩

Holy Cross just scored! Georgetown won't be a walk in the park...

DFW HOYA
November 16th, 2019, 03:29 PM
Holy Cross just scored! Georgetown won't be a walk in the park...
They will.

Three more players out--it's down to its 4th or 5th string RB.

And against Bucknell? Four turnovers, nine penalties, and arguably the most mistake-prone kicker of 2019 will prove to be little to get in the way of Holy Cross. Georgetown is on course for four straight losses to end a schedule that they tailor-made to end a run of 19 losing seasons in their last 20.

And with just two confirmed non-conference opponents on the 2020 schedule, the schedule looks underwhelming yet again.

Sader87
November 16th, 2019, 03:33 PM
35-21 HC 3 left

Sader87
November 16th, 2019, 03:35 PM
Pick 6 ....42-21...now.....all 42 HC points in 2nd H

Sader87
November 16th, 2019, 03:50 PM
49-27 F.....crazy 2nd H.....

DFW HOYA
November 16th, 2019, 04:02 PM
Holy Cross could be a five touchdown favorite next week.

Southsider
November 16th, 2019, 04:09 PM
49-27 F.....crazy 2nd H.....

Thank God! Congrats!,

ngineer
November 16th, 2019, 04:25 PM
Congrats to the Crusaders. They are the only team in the league this year that deserves a chance to go to the big dance. Had Cross lost, next week's game in Bethlehem would have been nuts.

crusader11
November 16th, 2019, 05:32 PM
Holy Cross isn’t very good.

The PL is an abomination.

Whatever.

Glad we will win the league, I guess.

I think we’d be better with Gilmore.

Sader87
November 16th, 2019, 05:42 PM
Holy Cross isn’t very good...yet.

I think we’d be better with Gilmore.

FIFY and you're so wrong, granted imo, about Gilmore. He basically wore out his welcome at HC...it was long past time for a change when he was let go at Holy Cross.

Southsider
November 16th, 2019, 05:47 PM
FIFY and you're so wrong, granted imo, about Gilmore. He basically wore out his welcome at HC...it was long past time for a change when he was let go at Holy Cross.

Thanks for nuttin😡 Now LU stuck with him....

crusader11
November 16th, 2019, 07:00 PM

You’re opinion. And you might be right. But HC is not very good and you couldn’t convince me that Gilmore couldn’t have the record we currently have right now.

HC is a very average football team. The tallest midget in the PL.

Colgate TD
November 17th, 2019, 11:49 AM
Congrats to the Crusaders on winning the title!......record be damned.

Ivytalk
November 17th, 2019, 05:20 PM
Congrats to The Cross!

crusader11
November 18th, 2019, 11:56 AM
An HC loss to Georgetown and Lafayette win over Lehigh — both very possible — would send Lafayette to the playoffs.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2019, 12:12 PM
An HC loss to Georgetown and Lafayette win over Lehigh — both very possible — would send Lafayette to the playoffs.

Lehigh will do their best to have your back, though we'd actually prefer you to win and make the playoffs at 7-5 with a win over UNH.

DFW HOYA
November 18th, 2019, 12:32 PM

Not likely. Georgetown's defensive injuries are significant and the Hoyas were playing its 4th RB Saturday, who had a total of nine carries in 2019 before 3rd stringer Joshua Stakely went down.

Hoyas #7 in defense nationally, #86 on offense.