PDA

View Full Version : Howard Univ. Suspends Head Coach

DFW HOYA
November 6th, 2019, 08:58 PM
"Howard University said Wednesday that it is placing head football coach Ron Prince on administrative leave, “effective immediately.” In his first season running the Bison’s football program, Prince had reportedly been accused of abusive behavior by at least one parent of a Howard player."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/11/06/howard-places-football-coach-ron-prince-leave-amid-continuing-investigation/

bonarae
November 6th, 2019, 10:30 PM
Finally. Will there be anymore wins remaining for the Bison this season?

Anthony215
November 7th, 2019, 08:08 AM
Sheesh on paper it looked like a home run hire but this has turned out to be a disaster. It's already a hard enough time finding a quality hire at HBCU's especially those with high academic standards but when you have incidents like this it runs the few high quality recruits you do have in the transfer market. I think Howard is in a great location for recruits, it has tremendous academic history as well as being the premiere HBCU in the country, the facilities are outdated (Football Stadium/Basketball gymnasium) but with some backing from their rich alumni I'm certain they could upgrade the stadium and arena to entice top FCS recruits to come to DC. Diddy, Taraji P Henson, Phylicia Rashad, Kamala Harris, etc.... all have financial resources to help with facilities not to mention all the other famous alumni who aren't athletes/entertainers. At this point Howard may have to go the non traditional route, hire a great HS coach from either the DC/Baltimore/Philadelphia area and let them use their connections with the inner city to bring in some top notch recruits who may prefer the Howard tradition over say Delaware, Villanova, Lehigh, Lafayette, Towson, etc.... Temple took that approach hiring a HC from a Philly Catholic League school and I think it'll pay big dividends in the near future for them even if it's getting bounce back guys who go to bigger schools initially and then when they see things aren't working out bounce back to the connection they had with their old coach....

PAllen
November 7th, 2019, 11:47 AM
Howard gets no (OK, a little, but for all intents and purposes nothing substantial) support from their alumni. They exist in a world dependent on operating funds from congress. I'm sorry, I also had to scoff at high academic standards and Howard being used in conjunction with each other. I know Howard's reputation, but the actual academic rigor comes no where close. I don't see UD, Nova, Lehigh or Lafayette competing at all with Howard for the same recruits. The institutional missions are completely different.

DFW HOYA
November 7th, 2019, 12:36 PM
Howard gets no (OK, a little, but for all intents and purposes nothing substantial) support from their alumni. They exist in a world dependent on operating funds from congress. I'm sorry, I also had to scoff at high academic standards and Howard being used in conjunction with each other. I know Howard's reputation, but the actual academic rigor comes no where close. I don't see UD, Nova, Lehigh or Lafayette competing at all with Howard for the same recruits. The institutional missions are completely different.

Howard has all sorts of problems and athletics is just one of them. Its admissions yield is poor (30% accepted but only one in six accepted students actually go there), the board of directors is fighting financial issues nearly every year despite a Congressional stipend of over $200 million a year, and alumni giving is just 9 percent as of 2017. It's a little unrealistic to say that Sean Combs or Kamala Harris can fix Greene Stadium anymore than arguing that Steve Bannon and Bill Clinton are going to work together to get Georgetown's football house in order.

And FWIW, Footballscoop.com says Prince has been fired, though not confirmed.

https://footballscoop.com/news/source-ron-prince-placed-on-administrative-leave-at-howard/

Daytripper
November 7th, 2019, 01:49 PM
Howard has all sorts of problems and athletics is just one of them. Its admissions yield is poor (30% accepted but only one in six accepted students actually go there), the board of directors is fighting financial issues nearly every year despite a Congressional stipend of over $200 million a year, and alumni giving is just 9 percent as of 2017. It's a little unrealistic to say that Sean Combs or Kamala Harris can fix Greene Stadium anymore than arguing that Steve Bannon and Bill Clinton are going to work together to get Georgetown's football house in order.

https://footballscoop.com/news/source-ron-prince-placed-on-administrative-leave-at-howard/

If what is alleged is true, then Howard is doing the right thing. That is just not an appropriate way to motivate young men.

Here is an excerpt of the original complaint letter:
https://i1.wp.com/footballscoop.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Screen-Shot-2019-10-03-at-11.34.09-AM.png?resize=696%2C479&ssl=1

Anthony215
November 7th, 2019, 02:07 PM

I would love to know how this could be happening with them having the largest endowment out of all HBCU's at $680+ million which must mean very poor bookkeeping...As for the acceptance numbers I would imagine due to the high cost of tuition/board many of the those who don't enroll opt for schools who are cheaper and offer them more scholarship money since Howard is $37k the kids that apply there come from many inner city areas where their parents can't afford to write a $16k check to cover the difference in what financial aid doesn't pick up. I went to Cheyney University back in 2001 because I couldn't afford the $20k tuition Hampton was charging but wanted the HBCU experience.

DFW HOYA
November 7th, 2019, 03:12 PM
I would love to know how this could be happening with them having the largest endowment out of all HBCU's at $680+ million which must mean very poor bookkeeping...As for the acceptance numbers I would imagine due to the high cost of tuition/board many of the those who don't enroll opt for schools who are cheaper and offer them more scholarship money since Howard is $37k the kids that apply there come from many inner city areas where their parents can't afford to write a $16k check to cover the difference in what financial aid doesn't pick up. I went to Cheyney University back in 2001 because I couldn't afford the $20k tuition Hampton was charging but wanted the HBCU experience.

Howard received its first federal appropriation in 1867 for the college to assume the management and staffing of the Freedmen's Hospital in Washington DC. A portion of the annual appropriation also goes straight to the HU endowment. In 2019, the appropriation was $232,518,000, or about 40% of its overall budget.

PAllen
November 7th, 2019, 04:50 PM
Howard's money problems are due to the ongoing gross mismanagement of funds accompanied by the open embezzlement of the prior two administrations (university not U.S.). The takeover of the hospital by Adventist will help as GW, Georgetown and Washington Hospitals will no longer have a business reason to put destitute patients in an uber to Howard.

Professor
November 7th, 2019, 05:02 PM
Howard needs to hire the Bowie State HC or Henry Frazier. Invest in updating that stadium and work on finding its community that's no longer in that side of DC

caribbeanhen
November 7th, 2019, 05:08 PM
If what is alleged is true, then Howard is doing the right thing. That is just not an appropriate way to motivate young men.

Here is an excerpt of the original complaint letter:
https://i1.wp.com/footballscoop.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Screen-Shot-2019-10-03-at-11.34.09-AM.png?resize=696%2C479&ssl=1

they told me all of those things when I showed up in Cape May in 1981, all turned out ok

FormerPokeCenter
November 7th, 2019, 05:17 PM
The fact that some little snowflake's mom decided to send a letter is sorta the whole point of being tough with kids.

Sometimes, when a coach is an asshole, it makes the team bond and mature. I wouldn't want to send my kid to a program that wasn't hard on them and which didn't challenge them.

If you read the article on Joe Burrow that's circulating online this week, Urban Meyer basically got in his face as a freshman and told him that he belonged in Division III. Hell, they changed his name, and started calling him John Burrow, because another, older, QB's name was Joe. He'd say something in practice and they'd literally tell him "John, shut the **** up. You're wasting our time."

Telling a kid he belongs in Division III, or telling a kid he's going to lose his scholly is - imho - mostly hyperbole. If we eliminate hyperbole, most of us wouldn't have a thing to say...

JayJ79
November 7th, 2019, 06:12 PM
I'd find it hard to believe that the FBI would really bother investigating "point shaving" in FCS football.

FormerPokeCenter
November 7th, 2019, 08:38 PM
Johnny Hot Rod Williams disagrees with you....

JayJ79
November 7th, 2019, 11:27 PM
Johnny Hot Rod Williams disagrees with you....
Not football. Not FCS. and the jury found him Not Guilty

bluehenbillk
November 8th, 2019, 06:47 AM
I've said it before & I'll say it again: "The Gridiron is NOT a Safe Space".

MR. CHICKEN
November 8th, 2019, 07:38 AM
I'd find it hard to believe that the FBI would really bother investigating "point shaving" in FCS football.

.....DEY SHOOD.......HAVIN'...HARD TIME IN SPREAD [email protected] WK!

FormerPokeCenter
November 8th, 2019, 08:57 AM
Not football. Not FCS. and the jury found him Not Guilty

Still, conspiracy is conspiracy, no matter the level and what better place to bet on rigged games than the FCS? Too many eyes are on FBS. But here? It's actually the perfect set up...though I think those attempting to rig the games would have better luck influencing officials.

Nobody bats an eye at stupid calls that influence games anymore ;)

But, I digress. To the point, using that scenario whilst trying to motivate players seems to trend toward hyperbole more than anything else.

If college football players can't handle a little sarcastic hyperbole, they should take up competitive Prancercize...